Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1834005 times)

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #34560 on: May 22, 2020, 06:02:04 pm »
You tried https://www.walmart.com/browse/sports-outdoors/adult-bikes/4125_1081404_1230089 Col,not sure of Walmarts rep in the states though?

Edit - I see that they sell Decathlon bikes

Cheers Tony. A lot of the big box stores carry the same types of entry-level bikes that Wal-Mart do.

The general consensus is to steer well clear as they weigh more than the car you'd pick them up in and the components are liable to fall apart at any given time.

Also, half of them have grip twist shifters which were cool when you wanted to look like you were on a motorbike when you were 12, but not so much now!
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #34561 on: May 26, 2020, 03:17:55 am »
what do you guys eat after a ride? i dont do anymore than 25 miles on a hybrid so cant go quite as quick as road bike...

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34562 on: May 26, 2020, 12:59:35 pm »
what do you guys eat after a ride? i dont do anymore than 25 miles on a hybrid so cant go quite as quick as road bike...

Whatever is lying around....

If you think you've done something like a proper training session, something with carbs and protein. The more you train, the more emphasis I'd put on refuelling. But to be honest after a 2h ride, I just carry on with normal food.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34563 on: May 26, 2020, 05:14:05 pm »
Has Strava just paywalled most of its content? Just notice it wants me to sign up for a free trial to get info that used to be freely available?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34564 on: May 26, 2020, 06:43:39 pm »
Has Strava just paywalled most of its content? Just notice it wants me to sign up for a free trial to get info that used to be freely available?

They've revamped their subscription model (no longer called summit) and added some features that were previously free. Basically, you don't really have access to the segment data anymore. You can't use live segments, and you won't be able to see your position in the leaderboards anymore, unless you're in the top 10. And the route builder is now subscription-only, though apparently it has also been improved with nicer maps. If you care about either of those, you'll have to pay them.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 06:45:29 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #34565 on: May 26, 2020, 10:18:47 pm »
If you want a route planner the I find RidewithGPS better than strava it cost $10 for a month,for the premium, but I find it worth it as it links really well with my Wahoo Bolt.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34566 on: May 27, 2020, 07:31:38 am »
If you want a route planner the I find RidewithGPS better than strava it cost $10 for a month,for the premium, but I find it worth it as it links really well with my Wahoo Bolt.

I use the free version, it works fine too. I think the premium give turn by turn navigation, but I don't really use that anyway.

I haven't ridden a planned route since last year, no need to go anywhere new during lockdown :(

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #34567 on: May 28, 2020, 10:20:08 pm »
Just found out my work does the cycle2work scheme. Time for an upgrade on the road bike, it's about 8/9 years old now.

Best places to look? I want to spend 1k max.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #34568 on: May 29, 2020, 02:43:52 pm »
Just found out my work does the cycle2work scheme. Time for an upgrade on the road bike, it's about 8/9 years old now.

Best places to look? I want to spend 1k max.

Dolan do some great bikes in that price bracket. Ribble also. Ive bought from both and they have been superb. Planet X have some well specced bikes also, though I've never bought from them.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34569 on: May 29, 2020, 05:25:01 pm »
Dolan do some great bikes in that price bracket. Ribble also. Ive bought from both and they have been superb. Planet X have some well specced bikes also, though I've never bought from them.

Yep, good places to look. I've bought a couple of bikes from Planetx, and all have been great and are well better specced than anything with a comperable price. But I don't think they take cycle2work vouchers. That will be worth checking anyway, not every shop takes vouchers from every bike scheme.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #34570 on: May 31, 2020, 07:04:10 am »

bikemap.net is decent too for planning routes

Offline Kuytinho

• Kopite
« Reply #34571 on: June 3, 2020, 09:31:08 am »
I've got a golf course about 7 miles away which I'd like to be cycling to, but I can't figure out how best to carry my clubs on my bike. I think it'd be hard work carrying a full golf bag on my back for that distance, and I fear it could make me too wide. It's only a short course I'd be playing, so I'd get away with taking only 3-4 clubs. I'd buy a smaller bag if I was convinced of how I could carry it. I think a trailer would be a bit excessive and slow me down a lot, but I haven't found a different solution for this from what I've Googled. Any ideas?

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34572 on: June 3, 2020, 01:21:06 pm »
Strap them to the crossbar.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34573 on: June 4, 2020, 08:05:08 pm »
What Col said.

Or use a rack, strap them along, not across. I don't think a bag on your back would be too wide, but it might be too heavy.

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #34574 on: June 19, 2020, 01:37:06 pm »
Afternoon all, I've been falling off my bike a bit more than usual, twice this year, and I'm beginning to think some cycle insurance is a good idea.

Does anyone have any recommendations with who to go with, just had a quick look at Cycleplan and have been reading through the terms etc.. Also British Cycling, but I would like something more comprehensive to cover theft also. I have two road bikes with a combined value of about £2k.

What are people's general feelings/experience with regard insurance? Do you have it?

I've broken my arm and clavicle (not my fault may I add) in the past coming off of my bike. Most recent fall was riding over some wet tram tracks, which was a bit like sliding on ice (my fault  ;D). 

I've also registered my bikes on https://www.bikeregister.com/ and I would recommend everyone do this if you have not done so already.

Going to go and climb up Winnat's Pass (Peak District) over the weekend to keep me feeling alive. Hope everyone is well, cheers.
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #34575 on: June 19, 2020, 03:57:01 pm »
I have free insurance as I'm a member of the "Vlaamse Wielerbond" (Flemish Cycling Union) cost me €32 a year membership plus I get  4 magazines a year free of charges, normally cost €4,50,oh yea and I can also claim €15 rebate from my Health Insurance company. Its great living in Belgium as a cyclist ;)

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34576 on: June 19, 2020, 07:08:45 pm »
Afternoon all, I've been falling off my bike a bit more than usual, twice this year, and I'm beginning to think some cycle insurance is a good idea.

Does anyone have any recommendations with who to go with, just had a quick look at Cycleplan and have been reading through the terms etc.. Also British Cycling, but I would like something more comprehensive to cover theft also. I have two road bikes with a combined value of about £2k.

What are people's general feelings/experience with regard insurance? Do you have it?

I've broken my arm and clavicle (not my fault may I add) in the past coming off of my bike. Most recent fall was riding over some wet tram tracks, which was a bit like sliding on ice (my fault  ;D). 

I've also registered my bikes on https://www.bikeregister.com/ and I would recommend everyone do this if you have not done so already.

Going to go and climb up Winnat's Pass (Peak District) over the weekend to keep me feeling alive. Hope everyone is well, cheers.

CTC (now cyclinguk.org) are good for insurance I think, especially if you don't race and just ride.

I've only come down Winnat's once, very annoyed because there was a van in front of me, sitting on his brakes and robbing me of the descent. Might need to go again, but its a very long day out from here without getting on a train :-\

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #34577 on: June 19, 2020, 10:29:11 pm »
I've only come down Winnat's once, very annoyed because there was a van in front of me, sitting on his brakes and robbing me of the descent. Might need to go again, but its a very long day out from here without getting on a train :-\

I've only gone down it once also, I was on my quicker bike and the brakes are terrible, I was on them all the way down and still nearly shot onto the road at the end. Not sure I would be comfortable bombing it down there!
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #34578 on: July 14, 2020, 09:37:44 pm »
Strange times we live in these days.
Hope the arl arses in here are all doing ok.
Not been on a saddle for 3 years for various reasons from being a lazy fat twat and numerous family issues which have tested my resolve to say the least.
Just got back on this week and it feels liberating.
Being furloughed has given me a timeout and has helped with picking up the important things in life and the enjoyable things.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 09:43:56 pm by Billy1561 »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34579 on: July 15, 2020, 03:59:04 pm »
:wave

Was wondering where you had been, nice to hear you're back out riding :)

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #34580 on: July 31, 2020, 09:55:52 am »
Hey everyone!

My Husband bought us a couple of bikes this week, to cycle locally in the woods/parks around.

Anyone got an advice on helmets? He is looking at Giro helmets at the moment. Are there any sites that do good offers when buying 2?

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34581 on: July 31, 2020, 03:31:32 pm »
Hey everyone!

My Husband bought us a couple of bikes this week, to cycle locally in the woods/parks around.

Anyone got an advice on helmets? He is looking at Giro helmets at the moment. Are there any sites that do good offers when buying 2?

Get one that fits ;D

Just make sure they have a EN1078 mark, and you should be good to go. More expensive helmets are lighter, and maybe more stylish, but they still only have to pass the same safety tests. (Some might have additional features that are supposed to make them safer, like MIPS, but there is no test/standard for those).

Can't help with offers, sorry, been a while since my last one.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34582 on: August 5, 2020, 04:35:01 pm »
Hey everyone!

Wiggle have some dhb ones for about £50 each but limited colours/sizes. 3 in this house have them and they are pretty light.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34583 on: August 5, 2020, 04:38:34 pm »
Have had the Di2 swopped over to my old cube and it's so much sweeter. Always was my favourite bike but it's even better especially with joint pain that i seem to have developed in my fingers. Also got talked into going to 25's tubeless from 23's . Much less vibration. Who knew? 

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34584 on: August 5, 2020, 04:40:40 pm »
:wave

Was wondering where you had been, nice to hear you're back out riding :)
Alright mate

Offline Amatt

• Amoo, Amass.....
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #34585 on: August 28, 2020, 08:31:25 pm »
Evening all - after a bit of advice from you good cycling folk.

Will be starting a new job in about 4/5 weeks which is a couple of miles from my house so am looking at buying a bike to use to cycle there and then the odd weekend ride when time permits.   I used to have mountain bikes in my late teens/early twenties but am looking at getting a road bike.

Have seen the below and quite like the look of it. Does this look a good bike for the price (£750) specs wise?

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-slr-8.8-mens-road-bike-2021---s-m-l-xl-frames-365406.html

Thanks.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34586 on: August 28, 2020, 10:25:41 pm »
Evening all - after a bit of advice from you good cycling folk.

Will be starting a new job in about 4/5 weeks which is a couple of miles from my house so am looking at buying a bike to use to cycle there and then the odd weekend ride when time permits.   I used to have mountain bikes in my late teens/early twenties but am looking at getting a road bike.

Have seen the below and quite like the look of it. Does this look a good bike for the price (£750) specs wise?

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-slr-8.8-mens-road-bike-2021---s-m-l-xl-frames-365406.html

Thanks.

I’m no expert but I’d take a look at https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-520-disc-road-bike-navy-105-id_8554421.html for an extra £50 if you can afford it. The 105 groupset is a level up from the Tiagra and the Triban bikes are generally considered good value for money from what I’ve seen.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Stevo79

• Kopite
« Reply #34587 on: August 28, 2020, 11:18:16 pm »
Has been an age since I've been in this thread, and also a while off the bike as changed jobs and not able to cycle to work anymore (also similar to Billy regarding the laziness!).

Is Dave not around anymore?

Offline Amatt

• Amoo, Amass.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #34588 on: August 29, 2020, 06:59:13 am »
I’m no expert but I’d take a look at https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-520-disc-road-bike-navy-105-id_8554421.html for an extra £50 if you can afford it. The 105 groupset is a level up from the Tiagra and the Triban bikes are generally considered good value for money from what I’ve seen.

Morning mate. £50 extra is doable so I’ll have a look at one of them. Thanks mate 👍

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34589 on: August 29, 2020, 07:38:36 pm »
Morning mate. £50 extra is doable so I’ll have a look at one of them. Thanks mate 👍

Also check if your new work has a cycle to work scheme - you get tax off the price and can spread the payments over a year.

Offline Amatt

• Amoo, Amass.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #34590 on: August 29, 2020, 07:43:07 pm »
Also check if your new work has a cycle to work scheme - you get tax off the price and can spread the payments over a year.

Yes they do. That’s what I’ll be using to get it with. Spread the costs over the year rather than an all out hit 👍

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34591 on: August 30, 2020, 10:16:37 am »
Yes they do. That’s what I’ll be using to get it with. Spread the costs over the year rather than an all out hit 👍

You might find you’re restricted to certain retailers depending on who your cycle to work scheme is with. Decathlon accept Cyclescheme and Bike2Work by the looks of it.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Amatt

• Amoo, Amass.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #34592 on: August 30, 2020, 03:40:56 pm »
You might find you’re restricted to certain retailers depending on who your cycle to work scheme is with. Decathlon accept Cyclescheme and Bike2Work by the looks of it.

Nice one mate. Will find out what one they use when I start and can take it from there. 

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34593 on: October 1, 2020, 03:25:06 pm »
Can anyone recommend the best Decathlon bike to use as a run around? I've been looking online but I can't tell the difference with each one! I don't know if it would be best to go into a Decathlon shop.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34594 on: January 6, 2021, 12:11:41 pm »
Does anyone use one of those indoor bike trainers? I have one but changing the tyre tread from my outdoor one to the indoor one every time I want to use it is a pain. How do you guys deal with it?

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34595 on: January 6, 2021, 05:29:26 pm »
Does anyone use one of those indoor bike trainers? I have one but changing the tyre tread from my outdoor one to the indoor one every time I want to use it is a pain. How do you guys deal with it?

Have a spare wheel with the indoor tyre, and just change the wheel. Usually, you'd get one cheap on ebay, but maybe not now.

Alternatively, spend a lot of money on a direct drive turbo, where you don't need a rear wheel.

If it was a bit warmer, you could also try and find a tyre that works both indoors and outdoors, but it sounds like your outdoors tyre has too much tread.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34596 on: January 7, 2021, 11:27:27 am »
Have a spare wheel with the indoor tyre, and just change the wheel. Usually, you'd get one cheap on ebay, but maybe not now.

Alternatively, spend a lot of money on a direct drive turbo, where you don't need a rear wheel.

If it was a bit warmer, you could also try and find a tyre that works both indoors and outdoors, but it sounds like your outdoors tyre has too much tread.

Thanks. My outdoor tyre does work but I read that the trainer will wear it out quickly. I figured getting a spare wheel was the smart play but not being much of an expert I wasn't sure how easy it'd be to get both a wheel and rear gears that would be compatible. I've been meaning to get the bike serviced for a while anyway so I might ask the local bike shop about spares while I'm there (if they can even do servicing right now).

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #34597 on: January 7, 2021, 01:00:49 pm »
Prices for indoor wheels seem to be rising. My mate had this issue pre Xmas and ended up spending £90. The cassette was the biggest cost when he tried to build a cheap version. Your bike shop may be able to cobble something up. I managed to get a direct drive trainer last year which is awesome.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34598 on: January 7, 2021, 02:33:50 pm »
Thanks. My outdoor tyre does work but I read that the trainer will wear it out quickly. I figured getting a spare wheel was the smart play but not being much of an expert I wasn't sure how easy it'd be to get both a wheel and rear gears that would be compatible. I've been meaning to get the bike serviced for a while anyway so I might ask the local bike shop about spares while I'm there (if they can even do servicing right now).

I've found that cheap tyres are fine to use indoors, the more expensive ones with better/softer rubber wear quicker. Though it's also a question of how much you ride indoors - a new tyre might still be the cheapest option. If your outdoor tyre has deeper thread, it might not be great on a wheel-on trainer - bumpy, loud, and wear faster. But a smooth road tyre should be ok.

Regarding a new rear wheel - you'll need to make sure it has the same axle spacing and type as your current one, and best the same freehub type (eg 11 speed shimano), so it can take a similar cassette. If you use your gears on the turbo (that is, you don't only ride in erg mode), you'd want the same cassette on the spare wheel as the other one. If you have a smart trainer and always ride in erg mode, you don't need to shift, so you don't really need the gears to work (but of course, you then need to be careful...). The thing with a spare wheel is, that you can use an old one where the brake track has worn out, because you don't need to brake. The bike shop might be able to help. Alternatively, it is actually nice to have spare wheels that work, in case one breaks, so you can keep riding.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34599 on: January 7, 2021, 02:40:14 pm »
Oh, and bike shops still do services and repairs, as far as I know.