Author Topic: Graeme Souness brands Celtic 'the unacceptable face of Scottish football'  (Read 7201 times)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Haven't seen this discussed elsewhere, so sorry if it has.

Whilst I'm neither a fan of the Royals nor the Pope, etc..
I think that Rangers also need to sort themselves out and maybe leave their Stone Age views at home?

Graeme Souness brands Celtic 'the unacceptable face of Scottish football' as he claims fans actions have damaged club

The former Rangers boss and radio pundit slammed a section of the Hoops support for disrupting the minute's applause for the Queen and the club for their silence.

Graeme Souness had labelled Celtic “the unacceptable face of football in Scotland” and claims the anti-monarch actions of a section of their support will put off potential major sponsors.

In a hard-hitting speech, he also slammed the club’s silence over disrupting tributes to the Queen. The former Rangers boss and talkSPORT pundit hit out at the Hoops fans who chanted “if you hate the Royal Family clap your hands” and unveiled banners with the same message during a minute’s applause for Her Majesty before Sunday’s Scottish Premiership defeat to St Mirren.

Self-proclaimed royalist Souness said: “Whatever I say on this people will say they expect that because I was employed by Glasgow Rangers and I’m a Rangers fan. But you try to stand back a bit and the eyes of the world were on this country in the last 10 days. Celtic now have a major problem because if you’re a major company looking to sponsor a team in Britain or Scotland, would you consider Celtic any more?

“Not at all. And by the decision-makers at Celtic being silent on this matter they’re compounding the problem. This is not just a talking point of Scotland - it’s a talking point throughout the world. They have shot themselves in the foot big time. It is a minority who are guilty of this but also a minority that are damaging the brand of Celtic - synonymous with being the first British team to win the European Cup, great success and an absolute institution in Scotland - beyond belief.

“If you’re a Rangers fan it’s happy days. They want the silence to continue. They’re (Celtic) shooting themselves in the foot. They should have been out days ago condemning this. And for everyone who doesn’t like Celtic the music is brilliant and want it to keep going.

“In the eyes of the world, Celtic are now the unacceptable face of football in Scotland due to a minority of fans. The eyes of the world were on Great Britain and I have to stress it’s a minority. I have pals who are Celtic fans and are condemning this so why aren’t the club?”

Show host Jim White added: “We have asked Celtic not once but twice if they’re going to say anything about it but they haven’t even responded.” And fellow pundit Simon Jordan added: “You can’t legislate for the hearts and minds of some of your football fans that come and support your team but as a club you can exhibit a better code of conduct than Celtic have done which is come out and say ‘we think this is poor, we don’t support their views’.

“I’m a bit perplexed as to why Celtic wouldn’t want to do that. We know it’s steeped in historic feelings about the monarchy but come on.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/graeme-souness-brands-celtic-the-28036589

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Graeme Souness brands Celtic 'the unacceptable face of Scottish football'
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 10:02:23 pm »
“In the eyes of the world, Celtic are now the unacceptable face of football in Scotland due to a minority of fans."

The eyes of the world? Which eyes? Do they belong to the parts that the Monarchy invaded and colonized? I'm sure they give a fuck, Graham. Get over yourself.

He can't half help talk absolute bollocks at times.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 10:06:26 pm »
Celtic fans are by and large the same political makeup as Liverpool fans, hate the Tories and the Establishment, did Graeme Souness condemn condemn the Liverpool fans when they booed the National Anthem?, fuck off Graeme, not everyone likes the Monarchy.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 10:07:18 pm »
What a load of shite there by Souness.

Offline Elisha S

• talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 10:22:21 pm »
Souness exposing himself as a bit of a sectarian cu.nt with those comments. Not that Celtic fans will give a flying fu.ck what a Rangers supporter thinks.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 11:46:41 pm »
He's had a complete mate here hasn't he  ;D

I guess he was up in arms when his mate Andy Goram was knocking around with terrorists on the Shankill Road and had a shrine to them in his home  ::)
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 12:59:29 am »
Souness is only half right.

If he'd have said Celtic and Rangers, then he'd have had a point. Both are as bad as each other.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 01:57:28 am »

If he'd have said Celtic and Rangers, then he'd have had a point. Both are as bad as each other.
yep. its 2022 and its mad the way they go on.

Souness exposing himself as a bit of a sectarian cu.nt with those comments. Not that Celtic fans will give a flying fu.ck what a Rangers supporter thinks.
Did I miss something subtle? what's he said about religion there?

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 03:21:13 am »
Did I miss something subtle? what's he said about religion there?

Think that was just by implication since he's only chosen to single out half of the problem with scottish football, or probably slightly under 50% of the problem since the rest of the clubs have at least a little responsibility too due to not standing up to those two for so long, it is not like the glasgow clubs have anywhere else to go after all.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 04:00:44 am »
It’s a weird one. I believe Celtic fans have damaged their club through this. To what degree, remains to be seen.

With that said, Scottish football has become an irrelevant backwater, and it has been for years. As such, I’m not sure this is worth bothering with.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 06:33:05 am »
Souness shouldn't be on TV in 2022.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 07:37:08 am »
Souness shouldn't be on TV in 2022.
He's getting increasingly controversial and embarrassing at times, but I'd still rather watch him and the various lot on RTE have a heated debate (even if they're all equally gobshites) than the utterly nauseating panel of Lineker, Jenas, Richards et al you see on MOTD and Carragher/Neville/Ferdinand on Sky.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 09:46:29 am »
He's started writing for the Daily Mail recently as well
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 09:57:17 am »
Great career move that Graeme

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 10:00:11 am »

And appearing alongside Simon Jordan and the other one on Talksport on a monday morning.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 10:04:20 am »
“In the eyes of the world, Celtic are now the unacceptable face of football in Scotland due to a minority of fans."

The eyes of the world? Which eyes? Do they belong to the parts that the Monarchy invaded and colonized? I'm sure they give a fuck, Graham. Get over yourself.

He can't half help talk absolute bollocks at times.

Haha... Reading that article you get the feeling the whole time that he massively overestimates how much interest there is in Scottish football or football in general in connection with the Queen's passing. The media in most country are more interested in what jewellery Kate, Megan and other female members of the royal family were wearing. No one really gave a fuck about Celtic fans doing whatever they did in the minute's applause. In fact, this article is probably the first time I've heard of it (not living in the UK). I might have read some passing comment about it in the monarchy thread, but that's about it. No one in Europe and probably elsewhere in the world cares about that. It might be brought up when the issue of the monarchy (and possibly abolishing it) is discussed (as an example of how not everyone is in favour of having a Monarchy). It's a bit like how English/British media and some of the Brexit folks are believing that the EU is out to get them because of Brexit whenever something happens that's a disadvantage for the UK, but is just a result of leaving the EU. No one here really gives a fuck about Brexit anymore.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 10:12:56 am »
And appearing alongside Simon Jordan and the other one on Talksport on a monday morning.
I actually don't mind Simon Jordan

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2022, 10:44:45 am »
Graeme needs to man up, all this because they sang "if you hate the royals, clap your hands"? Thought it was funny and pretty mild considering the history.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2022, 10:53:14 am »
He's getting increasingly controversial and embarrassing at times, but I'd still rather watch him and the various lot on RTE have a heated debate (even if they're all equally gobshites) than the utterly nauseating panel of Lineker, Jenas, Richards et al you see on MOTD and Carragher/Neville/Ferdinand on Sky.
His overt support for gay rights is unmatched by any other pundit….

So I think he’s more right than wrong
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 11:24:20 am »

Is the correct answer. Celtic fans forays into political issues are often embarrassing misguided, but everything they do is just to wind up their next door neighbours who respond in kind. Both sets of the most extreme supporters are pathetic children who only function well to divide & rule the Scottish working class. As for Rangers; there’s a reason they’re known as Scotland’s Shame. Perhaps Souness imagines they’re universally respected around the world, it’s certainly not the case at home.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2022, 11:26:54 am »
Think that was just by implication since he's only chosen to single out half of the problem with scottish football, or probably slightly under 50% of the problem since the rest of the clubs have at least a little responsibility too due to not standing up to those two for so long, it is not like the glasgow clubs have anywhere else to go after all.

It’s difficult to stand up with the perpetual boot on your neck, but we’ll done you on your victim blaming.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2022, 11:41:19 am »

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2022, 11:49:43 am »
Is this the same "self-proclaimed royalist" Graeme Souness that received money from Rangers through the tax-evading EBT scheme, keeping money that should've been paid to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs?

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2022, 01:51:10 pm »
Is this the same "self-proclaimed royalist" Graeme Souness that received money from Rangers through the tax-evading EBT scheme, keeping money that should've been paid to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs?

Doubt that, that scheme didnt get used until the Advocaat era, so well after Souness time, unless he got paid for something else other than manager.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2022, 02:32:04 pm »
Is the correct answer. Celtic fans forays into political issues are often embarrassing misguided, but everything they do is just to wind up their next door neighbours who respond in kind. Both sets of the most extreme supporters are pathetic children who only function well to divide & rule the Scottish working class. As for Rangers; there’s a reason they’re known as Scotland’s Shame. Perhaps Souness imagines they’re universally respected around the world, it’s certainly not the case at home.
"Embarrassing misguided", I'd have thought anyone supporting LGBT rights, support refugees, and have always shown solidarity with the apartheid in Palestine was the polar opposite of "misguided".

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2022, 02:36:04 pm »
Doubt that, that scheme didnt get used until the Advocaat era, so well after Souness time, unless he got paid for something else other than manager.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/14421335.find-out-why-graeme-souness-received-his-controversial-30000-rangers-ebt-payment/

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2022, 02:56:29 pm »
"Embarrassing misguided", I'd have thought anyone supporting LGBT rights, support refugees, and have always shown solidarity with the apartheid in Palestine was the polar opposite of "misguided".

My point is: why are they doing it in that forum at all? I’m talking specifically about the green brigade lot. Sure they get their message out, but then it looks like all of their supporters hold the same beliefs. I happen to agree with a lot of their left-leaning positions, but I don’t think the football stadium is the place unless it directly involves their club or supporters. I also believe they mostly take stances in a performative way simply to wind up their ugly step-sisters, yet they can’t see that they’re in a “war” with people who are exactly like them.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2022, 03:35:04 pm »

Perhaps how they share those beliefs are a bit misguided then. Singing IRA songs, especially down in places like Manchester that the IRA bombed, vandalising areas in the lead up to Hampden because Israel were playing Scotland, hanging effergies from the roof of Celtic Park etc. And yes, Rangers fans can be just as bad.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2022, 03:59:45 pm »
My point is: why are they doing it in that forum at all? I’m talking specifically about the green brigade lot. Sure they get their message out, but then it looks like all of their supporters hold the same beliefs. I happen to agree with a lot of their left-leaning positions, but I don’t think the football stadium is the place unless it directly involves their club or supporters. I also believe they mostly take stances in a performative way simply to wind up their ugly step-sisters, yet they can’t see that they’re in a “war” with people who are exactly like them.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were plenty of Celtic fans who were embarrassed by what happened. Even if they are no fans of the monarchy / Queen. I'm no fan of them either, but I thought what a big portion of Celtic fans did there was horribly undignified and classless. Just as, I might add, I felt the very same about the few clowns who disrupted the Anfield silence too.

I'm more in line with the general politics of Celtic than I am Rangers, but the actions of those fans did their club no favours at all.

I agree with your last point. It's all very Horseshoe Theory. In belief the two fanbases like to take polar opposite stances, yet their actions are actually one and the same. Neither come out smelling of roses and neither can claim any kind of moral high ground. Both just come over as horribly classless, bitter and twisted. Souness had a valid point, but he forgot to name both clubs rather than just Celtic. They are the two sides of the one coin.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2022, 04:06:41 pm »
Is correct.
I have been to 2 old firm matches, at Ibrox and Celtic Park.
I was invited by 2 different friends, 1 Rangers the other Celtic fans.
Stood in the home end in both grounds and found the whole experiance rather sad from both sets of fans.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2022, 04:09:37 pm »
How people can't get their head around why Celtic fans may have been a bit disrespectful towards the Queen of Great Britain absolutely baffles me  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2022, 04:38:37 pm »
How people can't get their head around why Celtic fans may have been a bit disrespectful towards the Queen of Great Britain absolutely baffles me  ;D
I'm sure pretty much everyone understands why they were disrespectful. It's just that not everyone agrees that it actually did them or their cause any favours.

I don't think the arsehole or two that ruined the Anfield silence did us much good either, and I loathe the monarchy and the establishment that bows and scrapes to it.

It's possible to agree with a thought or feeling but still disagree with a resultant action.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2022, 04:42:37 pm »
I'm sure pretty much everyone understands why they were disrespectful. It's just that not everyone agrees that it actually did them or their cause any favours.

I don't think the arsehole or two that ruined the Anfield silence did us much good either, and I loathe the monarchy and the establishment that bows and scrapes to it.

It's possible to agree with a thought or feeling but still disagree with a resultant action.

Not sure they were doing it to further any cause, just a show of disrespect to a position/person who for long enough showed 'disrespect' to people like me.

I'm using the word disrespect to keep things civil, I could use a lot worse.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2022, 05:00:18 pm »
Not sure they were doing it to further any cause, just a show of disrespect to a position/person who for long enough showed 'disrespect' to people like me.

As I said, though, I think everyone knows why they did it. ''Cause'' might have been the wrong word, but the bottom line is it did them no real favours. In essence, it comes over as disrespectful people disrespecting other disrespectful people. Basically, a sad, sorry sight that further compounds division.

I hated a couple of ours disrupting the silence at Anfield. We are better than that, and 99.9% attending on the night proved it too. Sadly, 100% of Liverpool fans will now suffer the ''well you booed the Queen, so we'll boo your Hillsborough'' shouts everywhere we go, because of that 0.01%.  :butt

Decency and dignity can attract green shoots of sympathy and empathy. Hate simply attracts more hate in return, and on it goes...

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2022, 05:02:30 pm »

Can I ask what you to embellish this? I'm a Scottish Rangers fan but like to hear all views.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2022, 05:06:36 pm »
As I said, though, I think everyone knows why they did it. ''Cause'' might have been the wrong word, but the bottom line is it did them no real favours. In essence, it comes over as disrespectful people disrespecting other disrespectful people. Basically, a sad, sorry sight that further compounds division.

I hated a couple of ours disrupting the silence at Anfield. We are better than that, and 99.9% attending on the night proved it too. Sadly, 100% of Liverpool fans will now suffer the ''well you booed the Queen, so we'll boo your Hillsborough'' shouts everywhere we go, because of that 0.01%.  :butt

Decency and dignity can attract green shoots of sympathy and empathy. Hate simply attracts more hate in return, and on it goes...

I don't think people should refrain from showing their justified antipathy towards something just on the off chance some bellends are going to disrespect you.

My point above was a general one, not in reference to Hillsborough. I'm leaving Hillsborough out of my response as I'm not from the city and don't know anyone personally affected so it's not my place to say.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2022, 05:08:56 pm »
Can I ask what you to embellish this? I'm a Scottish Rangers fan but like to hear all views.

I'm Irish, if you need a further explanation that's on you not me.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2022, 05:15:46 pm »
I don't think people should refrain from showing their justified antipathy towards something just on the off chance some bellends are going to disrespect you.

My point above was a general one, not in reference to Hillsborough. I'm leaving Hillsborough out of my response as I'm not from the city and don't know anyone personally affected so it's not my place to say.
I suppose a lot depends on whether we are happy to be part of entrenching a problem further or trying to solve it.

To start resolving things someone has to have the guts to rise above it and abandon the ways that are proven unworkable.

All we've seen in the last week or so is further entrenchment of division.

However, I fully understand your position on this and have sympathy for it. I don't walk in your shoes, so I'll leave it there.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2022, 05:22:31 pm »
I suppose a lot depends on whether we are happy to be part of entrenching a problem further or trying to solve it.

To start resolving things someone has to have the guts to rise above it and abandon the ways that are proven unworkable.

All we've seen in the last week or so is further entrenchment of division.

However, I fully understand your position on this and have sympathy for it. I don't walk in your shoes, so I'll leave it there.

In my opinion it is the people holding all the power who need to offer the olive branch, not sure where offering an olive branch gets the downtrodden.

I totally understand where you're coming from and in a perfect world there would be no need for anyone to show disrespect to anyone else, but we don't live in one unfortunately.