Author Topic: Rugby League  (Read 46535 times)

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Re: Rugby League
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2022, 03:50:52 pm »
Wanted Leeds to win just for the absolute stupidity of Knowles being allowed to play.

The stupidity was from the 1st appeal panel.

The incident itself was nothing. Knowles kept hold of Atkin's arm behind his back to slow the play-the-ball. Atkin, trying to win a penalty, throw himself to the ground as if shot. It was pure gamesmanship. As soon as the ref pulled out the yellow, he gets up and takes the water bottle off the physio with the hand that's at the end of his supposed injuured shoulder. Then he played on.

Knowles was charged under rule "15.1 (i) Defender uses any part of their body forcefully to twist, bend or otherwise apply pressure to the limb or limbs of an opposing player in a way that involves an unacceptable risk of injury to that player". And banned for 2 games.

The 1st appeal panel formally agreed with the Saints argument that the holding/pulling of the arm didn't pull it outside normal range of movement, and that there was no 'unacceptable risk' of causing an injury. But then still upheld the ban.

The 2nd appeal (they're only allowed when very strict,legal/technicality criteria are met) was fully independent and chaired by a QC (KC now, I guess). Saints argued that the verdict by the 1st appeal panel was contradictory to accept that the offence didn't meet the criteria for the rule, but then still uphold the ban. The legal expert agreed.

It was the correct decision
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2022, 03:52:47 pm »

Tough shit.

Totally outclassed by one of - If not the - the best sides in SL history.

Saints barely had to get out of second gear.

Saints have had a season hugely disrupted by both injury and suspension, and never got the credit thsy deserve.

Woolf has had 3 seasons at Saints and won Superleage 3 times. We're going to miss him, and I just hope Wellens is up to it. Last time we promoted from within, it was a disaster. The Boot Room we aint.

And apologies for the tone of that, Ziltoid  ;D

Was a bit pissed and on a high (having been at OT for 3 of the 5 losses).

:P
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #202 on: October 2, 2022, 09:44:24 am »
NRL final just started, live on Sky. Parramatta Eels v Penrith Panthers.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #203 on: October 2, 2022, 10:19:40 am »
Dominant first half by the Panthers, absolutely brutal power

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: October 5, 2022, 03:30:57 am »
Leigh coming back up.

Happy days.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #205 on: October 6, 2022, 10:40:20 am »

And apologies for the tone of that, Ziltoid  ;D

Was a bit pissed and on a high (having been at OT for 3 of the 5 losses).

:P

Not at all.  Know a few Leeds Rhinos fans

Halifax beat them in the Wheelchair final so was happy with that.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #206 on: October 6, 2022, 01:33:36 pm »
Not at all.  Know a few Leeds Rhinos fans

Halifax beat them in the Wheelchair final so was happy with that.

You have to remember that Rivalry in RL is different than football. I think Saints fans always want Wigan and Leeds to lose because they have been their biggest rivals for many years. Aside from that WarringtonWidnes, Wigan/Leigh, Leeds/Bradford and obviously Hull/Hull KR are 'friendly' arch enemies. There are probably more (ie Workington/Whitehaven).

Personally I enjoy Leeds and Wigan suffering but nowhere near as much as United/Everton (and now City/Chelsea/PSG/Newcastle and Real Madrid)

I am pretty neutral about everyone else
« Last Edit: October 6, 2022, 01:36:39 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: October 13, 2022, 04:41:40 pm »
Super League in favour of scrapping relegation. That'll go down well.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2022, 04:51:34 pm »

Always trying to reinvent the wheel.

Absolute idiocy making it what will essentially be a closed shop. I think it's one of the most underappreciated sports that with the right backing and marketing, could be so much more popular than it is.

Don't think it will be of any interest to me at all once this Saints golden period is over. I am looking forward to the world cup though!
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #209 on: October 13, 2022, 05:24:56 pm »

Why would you let this news out 2 days before a WC? Mind blowing stupidity
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: October 13, 2022, 10:08:23 pm »
I'm a supporter of the franchise system in RL.

In terms of commercial prosperity, it's light years away from football. The gap between Super League and the Championship is a chasm in terms of both finances and playing ability.

7 of the last 8 teams promoted to SL were relegated straight back down. Promoted teams scrabble around for players because SL clubs sort out almost all their contracts and new signings for the next season well before the end of the current season. You often see players released from the relegated clubs for financial reasons signed by the promoted club. And promoted clubs sign journeymen instead of bringing through their own youngsters as they think the journeymen give them a better chance of scraping staying up.

The NRL uses a franchise system, with all clubs having a de facto reserve team playing in the lower tiers, alongside smaller, non-NRL clubs. It works well.

We had a full franchise system for a few years and IMO it worked better than a promotion/relegation system as it provided stability.

This plan, incidentally, is not a full franchise system. But it does protect from relegation the clubs that meet certain criteria on things like stadia, support, finances, and running reserve, Academy and women's teams. These clubs would be Category A, and there'd also be some Category B clubs in SL. Cat A clubs couldn't be relegated but Cat B clubs could.

In principle I support these clubs (like Saints, Wigan, Leeds and to a lesser extent Warrington, Hull and Catalans). They invest in the game, bringing players through. But I hate halfway measures and the sort of complications this would bring. What if a Cat A club finishes bottom? Does no relegation occur? What happens to the Championship club expecting promotion? Does the lowest-placed Cat B club instead go down?

How rigid the authorities are with it remains to be seen. We had, in the early 00's, the 'framing the future' plan. This required minimum standards in terms of finances and, most importantly, stadia. Clubs were given a set period of time to get their stadia up to standard or build a new one. Every 'Lancashire' SL club did, sometimes making sacrifices and paying a competitiveness price. Then, when Yorkshire clubs like Wakefield, Castleford, Hull KR, even Bradford (Leeds got a free pass because they're the RFL darlings), the stadium requirement was quietly dropped. Wakefield, Castleford and Hull KR still have shite grounds (Bradford went bust and exist in the lower leagues)

There remains too little money in the game. And too many shit-arsed clubs who want to block progress in case it affects them.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: February 4, 2023, 12:00:34 am »
Incredible programme tucked away on BBC 2 before, 30 minutes, highly recommended

What a man

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001hsks/kevin-sinfield-going-the-extra-mile
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2023, 12:41:59 pm »
A vid of Castleford player Joe Westerman 'performaing a sex act on a woman' has been circulating:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/castleford-joe-westerman-super-league-29202701

He's already being labelled 'The Yorkshire Rimmer'

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: February 13, 2023, 12:57:01 pm »
What a contrast in the those last two posts.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #214 on: February 13, 2023, 01:05:12 pm »
World club challenge, Penrith vs St Helens, Saturday 7am kickoff, as the game is in Sydney, think C4 are showing it live as well as sky sports.

Saints beat St George Illawarra Dragons 30-18 in the warm up game on Saturday.
#Sausages

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #215 on: February 13, 2023, 01:06:47 pm »
The Yorkshire Rimmer. :lmao

Although looks like he has some explaining to do.

Do Saints have a chance against Penrith?

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: February 13, 2023, 01:13:23 pm »
The Yorkshire Rimmer. :lmao

Although looks like he has some explaining to do.

Do Saints have a chance against Penrith?

I went to the game where we thought we could give Melbourne Storm a game and saw a 38 point deficit then next year Saints beat Brisbane Broncos, 2 years later it was another 38 point deficit against Sydney then four years later we beat Brisbane again. Roll on a few more years and it was a 39 point deficit against South Sydney and then 8 against Sydney last time round.

What I am saying I suppose is that it is unpredictable and that no English team has won over there since 1994 (and that was the great Wigan team (the only team to win it on their soil)

I'd say no but then that's the case every time an English side rolls up against the Australians but at least its been shown to be possible.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2023, 01:42:20 pm »

I went to the game where we thought we could give Melbourne Storm a game and saw a 38 point deficit then next year Saints beat Brisbane Broncos, 2 years later it was another 38 point deficit against Sydney then four years later we beat Brisbane again. Roll on a few more years and it was a 39 point deficit against South Sydney and then 8 against Sydney last time round.

What I am saying I suppose is that it is unpredictable and that no English team has won over there since 1994 (and that was the great Wigan team (the only team to win it on their soil)

I'd say no but then that's the case every time an English side rolls up against the Australians but at least its been shown to be possible.

Sometimes the NRL team takes it seriously, sometimes they don't. I think there's only been a small number of times when the NRL teams have taken it seriously and the British team won. Both Bradford and Leeds have benefited from the NRL team using it as nothing more than a pre-season blow-out.

Do Saints have a chance? Yes. A small one. We looked very good in spells against SGI and dominated. They took advantage of us making some mistakes when we tried to be too fancy and dropped some ball.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: February 13, 2023, 02:07:07 pm »
If you make mistakes against Australians you get punished (as Samoa found out, albeit one of the mistakes was by the officials)

You have to be perfect really just to stay in the game
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #219 on: February 13, 2023, 02:33:29 pm »
I think Penrith will put out a slightly strogner side than the Dragons put out at the weekend.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: February 13, 2023, 02:44:52 pm »
Yorkshire Rimmer aye?  ;D

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #221 on: February 13, 2023, 02:45:14 pm »
A vid of Castleford player Joe Westerman 'performaing a sex act on a woman' has been circulating:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/castleford-joe-westerman-super-league-29202701

He's already being labelled 'The Yorkshire Rimmer'

Cas have got themselves a new hooker. ;D
#Sausages

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #222 on: February 13, 2023, 03:13:59 pm »
Yorkshire Rimmer aye?  ;D

Apparently someone had overlaid the video footage with the famous “I can’t spake” commentary but I’m yet to see it.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: February 13, 2023, 04:27:34 pm »

Not sure my head could take that, anyway, you reminded me. For anyone who has never seen the best bit of commentary in any sport, ever, here you go

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/o58stoJJ5No" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/o58stoJJ5No</a>

You bottleless ghet Campbell"
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2023, 04:36:54 pm »
You dickhead.

Anyway, it appears that incident took place in an alleyway behind Greggs. Does he post on here? :D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2023, 04:42:35 pm »
Not sure my head could take that, anyway, you reminded me. For anyone who has never seen the best bit of commentary in any sport, ever, here you go

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/o58stoJJ5No" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/o58stoJJ5No</a>

You bottleless ghet Campbell"

That's brilliant that. Very 'Ron Hoofe'-esque.

Do you remember when that dirty get Shelford did Kev McCormack?

McCormack chased back for a kick, slipped in the mud, pulled his hamstring; as he's on the floor, he put his hand up to signal an injury. About 3 seconds later, that ape Shelford piles into him, hitting McCormack with everything.

Was up there with Harald Schumacher's assault on Battiston.

Ended McCormack's career.

Something about Wigan players being dirty yard-dogs scumbags.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2023, 04:44:12 pm »

That's brilliant that. Very 'Ron Hoofe'-esque.

Do you remember when that dirty get Shelford did Kev McCormack?

McCormack chased back for a kick, slipped in the mud, pulled his hamstring; as he's on the floor, he put his hand up to signal an injury. About 3 seconds later, that ape Shelford piles into him, hitting McCormack with everything.

Was up there with Harald Schumacher's assault on Battiston.

Ended McCormack's career.

Something about Wigan players being dirty yard-dogs scumbags.

Yes, Wigan and Leeds, they have had their bastard times, the Shane Warne years were peppered with thuggery at our Uncle Joe's eating cousins
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 14, 2023, 12:53:21 am »
https://www.nrl.com/watch/news/match-highlights-dragons-v-saints-1468786/

Saints v Dragons

including a new Australian phrase "Worm Burner"

I love how Australians have mauled our language
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: February 17, 2023, 12:08:24 am »
So glad that the almost totally unwashed sport of Rugby League started again tonight (SL anyway), after Qatar, Saudi, City, Newcastle etc. it's nice to have a refuge to go to when the money shite in football takes over.

Anyway, watch St.Helens struggle to beat Penrith Panthers in Sydney on Channel 4 at 7.50am on Saturday morning.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2023, 09:59:00 am »
Get the fuck in, Saints are world club champions. :scarf :scarf
#Sausages

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: February 18, 2023, 10:09:05 am »
Saints are World Champions.

Fantastic stuff and fully deserved.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #231 on: February 18, 2023, 10:31:24 am »
Didn't realise, that's only the 11th loss Penrith have had since 2020, shows how imense Saints performance was.
#Sausages

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: February 18, 2023, 10:53:13 am »
That was fucking awesome.

Every player did their part. Got right under the skin of Penrith (their fans hated it) and I don't think their players expected us to be so good or play it so hard.

To beat a team that's considered one of the best in NRL history, in their own back yard... it's just superb.

This early morning beer thing is an added bonus.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #233 on: February 18, 2023, 12:23:04 pm »
Great effort that, well done.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: February 19, 2023, 01:25:34 am »
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant

Unbelievable game, unbelievable team, unbelievable achievement.

Worth watching for anyone who's never seen league at its best, in an Australian thunderstorm

aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #235 on: February 19, 2023, 04:31:11 pm »
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant

Unbelievable game, unbelievable team, unbelievable achievement.

Worth watching for anyone who's never seen league at its best, in an Australian thunderstorm

Summed up perfectly, amazing game and finish.

Now to 5 in a row…?
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #236 on: February 19, 2023, 08:06:29 pm »
It's immense, Saints are only the 2nd super league team in history to win the world club challenge in Australia, last team to do it was Wigan, against Brisbane Broncos in 1994, when Brisbane were dominating RL back then too.
#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: February 20, 2023, 02:33:44 pm »
I've been lucky, I first went to watch Saints in 68, the same year I first went to watch the reds.

In the years in between I have seen the two clubs lift 108 pieces of silverware between them (Saints 53, LFC 55) with 2/3 of  those being major silverware. They have both been world club champions (in the last few years as well)

Imagine being a support of Rochdale and Rochdale Hornets, what  contrast, even worse, Everton with no Rugby League.

p.s.

That's 15-14 to the Australians now in terms of the WCC
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: February 20, 2023, 02:36:32 pm »
Unbelievable by the Saints, what a result for them. Even more delighted for my mate who's a coach with them, I'm sure there would have been some sore heads the morning after based on what I've heard from previous celebrations!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: February 20, 2023, 02:44:54 pm »
Oh, and don't Saints do good finishes eh

I think the best two finishes in sport have been Saints, that's aside from saturday's close one.

How about these.

v Bradford 'Wide to West' really is the best finish to a game I've ever seen, remember the time is up, the next tackle or ball going dead, it's over and they lose, play off cup tie as well.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VjhE7DOvD-c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VjhE7DOvD-c</a>

Grand final 2020, biggest rivals Wigan, they have a kick to win it with time running out (Finish really starts at c5.00 mins in this)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9jDvQiZh3C8&amp;t=71s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9jDvQiZh3C8&amp;t=71s</a>

Saturday's finish v the best team in the world, pick yourself up, dust yourself down

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ItZqWhCLiRk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ItZqWhCLiRk</a>

« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 02:49:13 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.