Author Topic: 2013 Europa League Final: Benfica v Chelsea  (Read 141296 times)

Offline redmen9

• Legacy Fan
Re: 2013 Europa League Final: Benfica v Chelsea
« Reply #3120 on: May 16, 2013, 01:21:39 pm »
They won the cup and the fans still hate him!!  You know what, I'm glad!  Those tossers don't deserve a man of his grace, dedication and loyalty.  The sooner he's shot of them the better and they can go on to their game of playing fantasy manager with Abramovich with his finger on the trap door button.

They will never appreciate Rafa's contribution despite him proving himself with a European trophy.

Lampard's comments last night after the game, mentioned the players the team spirtit, the fans.  No mention of the manager.  Just goes to show what he was up against really.  Wish Rafa the very best. Would love to see them re-emply Di Matteo and he then goes on to show his limitations and fear of upsetting the established players.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3121 on: May 16, 2013, 01:24:53 pm »
Was listening to talk sport a bit in the car earlier. That Andy Gray cock was on saying that it was nothing to do with Rafa, said he didnt see anything in his subs or set up that changed the game. When someone suggested the Real job for Rafa he actually laughed. c*nt of a man. Couldnt bare to give him any credit

I don't understand why he hates Rafa so much. I really do think he has a lot to do with the negative perception of Rafa. He's been getting a lot of recognition from most others though which is so relieving and refreshing to see. Never thought I'd see the day.

In the end, Rafa made the right decision to take the Chelsea job. It was a gamble but it paid off.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3122 on: May 16, 2013, 01:25:15 pm »
Lampard's comments last night after the game, mentioned the players the team spirtit, the fans.  No mention of the manager.  Just goes to show what he was up against really.  Wish Rafa the very best. Would love to see them re-emply Di Matteo and he then goes on to show his limitations and fear of upsetting the established players.

There's an article on the BBC with Cahill and Cech both praising Rafa for the job he's done there.  He's obviously not going to get any credit from Mourinho's boys, but the rest of them seem to have enjoyed working with him.  Luiz was pretty complementary too on the telly before the game.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3123 on: May 16, 2013, 01:27:44 pm »
Was listening to talk sport a bit in the car earlier. That Andy Gray cock was on saying that it was nothing to do with Rafa, said he didnt see anything in his subs or set up that changed the game. When someone suggested the Real job for Rafa he actually laughed. c*nt of a man. Couldnt bare to give him any credit

Andy Gray has always despised Rafa, no idea but he has. I remember him saying when Hodgson was our manager and he was doing shit he blamed it on Rafa and said that the squad Rafa left was considerably worse than the one he inherited. Cheeky MIdget c*nt.

I've had Rafa arguments with people for the last 5/6 years over Rafa trying tos how people how good he was and no matter what he does he will never get the credit. He could win 5 trebles at his next club and still someone else will get the credit for it. People were saying he's the 5th most successful manager in Europe of all time, dunno if true but wouldn't surprise me.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:29:58 pm by Baz Smythe »
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3124 on: May 16, 2013, 01:29:07 pm »
Chelsea players on Rafa:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nm9AvA-JJt4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nm9AvA-JJt4</a>
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3125 on: May 16, 2013, 01:29:21 pm »
Guillem Balague say that Rafa is strongly considered for the Real, Monaco & PSG jobs (think in the case of the former two he is second choice behind Ancelotti & Mancini, while he is PSG's choice to replace Ancelotti should the Italian depart Paris). He is also courted by Napoli should Mazzarri go to Roma.

Graham Hunter also say that Sorriano rates Rafa highly and he is his 2nd choice to replace Mancini should the negotiations with Pelligrini hits a rock, although that is unlikely.

Why in the world would you want Mancini over Rafa!?
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline Chris Vincent

• This is how I interpret myself.
  • Anny Roader
  • The Liverpool Way - Fierce But Fair
    • Liverpool FC
« Reply #3126 on: May 16, 2013, 01:33:39 pm »
Not sure how well he would be excepted by the Los Blancos public they are pretty tired of the Mourinho brand of anti football. Rafa is also seen as a proponent of this style, he even has a nickname in Spain for the type of football he plays "The Italian" Real fans want a return to their swashbuckling ways, Capello & Mourinho in particular left and will leave on bad terms with the fans because they didnt give them that, despite landing them La Liga titles. What could work in Rafa's favour is his record in European competition, they badly want that tenth trophy.

In terms of football style, you are right that the Real Madrid fans would prefer attacking football. Mourinho's defensive counter-attacking football was not very popular with them. While they may not be overjoyed at first with Rafa's tactics - he plays balanced football and his first priority will be to sort out the defence - I think that they may be quite happy after a few months. With the right players, Rafa's team can play very entertaining football. Real Madrid fans surely still remember the 4-0 beating of Real Madrid at Anfield - that was an example of winning attacking football.

Mourinho's problems at Madrid runs deeper than just the football style - he has criticised the fans, he has behaved a certain way that is not compatible with the Real ethos, he has provoked an internal war with his most influential players (this has been going on for 3 years) and he has continously said that he wants to leave.

Contrast that with Rafa, he grew up as a Real Madrid fan, he was a youth player there, he coached their youth teams and second team. Morever, he was assistant manager to Del Bosque for a brief spell at Real. After 3 years of Mourinho, Rafa would probably be welcome as a saviour of Real's image (even if the fans may not be totally overjoyed with the football style).

After dealing with Chelsea fans who initially hated him (many still do but many now grudgingly respect him), dealing with Real fans will be a piece of cake. If he succeeded to silence Stamford Bridge, then managing at the Santiago Bernabeu and getting the support of the local fans will be a breeze.

As a side note, I would have been interested to know how top managers like Guardiola, Mourinho, Capello, Del Bosque, Pellegrini, etc or even Ferguson would have managed in the same situation like Benitez did - with fans continuously booing them at home and then travelling to away stadiums to boo them as well. Of course, we would probably never know since it would be virtually impossible to recreate an atmosphere as toxic as Stamford Bridge.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:46:55 pm by Chris Vincent »
Men & Women are Equal but Not Identical. They are the Same in Many Ways but also Different in Others. That Difference should be Celebrated & Embraced.

A Man has to be a Man, Strong & Dominant, while at the same time be Sensitive to the Specific Needs of a Woman & Admire her Inner Beauty.

Liverpool FC

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3127 on: May 16, 2013, 01:49:29 pm »
Not sure how well he would be excepted by the Los Blancos public they are pretty tired of the Mourinho brand of anti football. Rafa is also seen as a proponent of this style, he even has a nickname in Spain for the type of football he plays "The Italian" Real fans want a return to their swashbuckling ways, Capello & Mourinho in particular left and will leave on bad terms with the fans because they didnt give them that, despite landing them La Liga titles. What could work in Rafa's favour is his record in European competition, they badly want that tenth trophy.
It is not as if Real are courting Zeman as Mourinho's replacement, they are after Ancelotti who himself isn't renown for his attacking brand of football.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #3128 on: May 16, 2013, 01:51:25 pm »
Chelsea players on Rafa:

I like how the Spanish players say 'maanayer'. ;D

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #3129 on: May 16, 2013, 02:06:21 pm »

When they interviewed Rafa on the pitch last night he thanked the team and the people behind-the-scenes, but never congratulated the fans for travelling, getting behind the team etc.  I had a smile to myself.  He knew he wouldn't get any credit from them.  As for Andy Gray he wouldn't have a clue about the nuances of coaching (neither would Andy Townsend) and that's why i miss Taylor and Pleat because as ex-managers they'd have seen the slight differences in Chelsea's tactics

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #3130 on: May 16, 2013, 02:27:46 pm »
Best looking European trophy about that mate. The only trophy I've had the pleasure of holding that is better than that, is the old League Champions trophy, which now resides in our museum. That my friend is a thing of beauty.

There should be, or we should have, a 'Great Sporting Trophies From Around the World' thread, in this forum.

Make it happen Mr Earl of Dingleberry.

One of the worst looking is the Premier League trophy - horrible thing. Would be good to win but it's got no class.

I agree about the UEFA Cup though - love the look of it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3131 on: May 16, 2013, 02:38:42 pm »
Chelsea players on Rafa:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nm9AvA-JJt4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nm9AvA-JJt4</a>

It would be some sweet karma if Rafa took on of the big jobs rumoured (Real, PSG) and immediately launched a bit for Chelsea fans' newly cherished David Luiz.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #3132 on: May 16, 2013, 02:41:49 pm »
Chelsea players on Rafa:

Jeez, I got the freight of my life there. Hands up who else thinks that Petr Cech looks like Super Hans from Peep Show in that clip?

HOT NEWS OFF THE PRESS!!! Chelsea fans are a bunch of wankers. I e-mailed a mate this morning offering begrudging congratulations. His response was "Rafa can still fuck off". I tactfully replied that I hoped that after Rafa secures third on Sunday for those ungrateful c*nts, he walks up to the Shed End, winks at the Chelsea fans, then does a shit in the centre circle.
We are Liverpool!

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #3133 on: May 16, 2013, 03:36:55 pm »
I really don't understand this attitude. I understand that some people are still pissed off with Torres because he has left us, but we have also played a role in that departure. It is not exactly a secret that his injuries were terribly mishandled at LFC, and it is not like he has run down his contract, so he can leave on the cheap. Torres' departure at that particular moment was good for both sides, and it is not his fault that we have decided to spend 70% of the Torres money on Carroll, instead of triggering Falcao's release clause, at the same amount.

Falcao and Suarez - wow - Kenny would still be manager!
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3134 on: May 16, 2013, 04:21:27 pm »
I really don't understand this attitude. I understand that some people are still pissed off with Torres because he has left us, but we have also played a role in that departure. It is not exactly a secret that his injuries were terribly mishandled at LFC, and it is not like he has run down his contract, so he can leave on the cheap. Torres' departure at that particular moment was good for both sides, and it is not his fault that we have decided to spend 70% of the Torres money on Carroll, instead of triggering Falcao's release clause, at the same amount.

Please, don´t... ;)
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #3135 on: May 16, 2013, 04:48:37 pm »
so, we won't hear the end of the oh so shite 'champions of europe' chant.

sigh.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #3136 on: May 16, 2013, 04:50:51 pm »
Why in the world would you want Mancini over Rafa!?

He's won the Premier League dontcha know - Rafa took the biggest club in England and couldn't even finish in the top 4, dontcha know ::)

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3137 on: May 16, 2013, 05:55:53 pm »
so, we won't hear the end of the oh so shite 'champions of europe' chant.

sigh.

They arnt champions of Europe for long

Offline sjr1973

• "Got a Boyfriend to Support."
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #3138 on: May 16, 2013, 06:34:35 pm »
You what? Hicks and Gillett were in charge when Rafa was sacked. He was sacked because we had c*nts for owners, he had a bad run of results, Purslow was a muppet playing Football manager and a vocal section of our own fans who wanted him out gave Purslow the cover needed to give him the old heave-ho.

There's no mystery.
It's a mystery why purslow, ayre or any players could think the owl would be better than rafa. That does remain a mysterious decision and we suffered terribly as a club. Anyway im made up for a bit of good karma for him finally. Next season will be very interesting regarding managers in the league eh? Quite open!

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3139 on: May 16, 2013, 06:39:19 pm »
They arnt champions of Europe for long

'Champions of Europa'
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3140 on: May 16, 2013, 06:51:17 pm »
Surely it's time for even the most 'Anti-Rafa' Chelsea fans to cut him just a little slack?
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline muyuu

• Google Groomer. reddit remain campaigner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #3141 on: May 16, 2013, 06:55:18 pm »
Figures I have from BBC say both have a 57% win rate with Benitez managing a handful of games more.

Maybe if you only count PL games.
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3142 on: May 16, 2013, 07:03:55 pm »
You what? Hicks and Gillett were in charge when Rafa was sacked. He was sacked because we had c*nts for owners, he had a bad run of results, Purslow was a muppet playing Football manager and a vocal section of our own fans who wanted him out gave Purslow the cover needed to give him the old heave-ho.

There's no mystery.

And some senior players who wanted him out...
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline redmen9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3143 on: May 16, 2013, 07:10:01 pm »
Chelsea players on Rafa:

Gritted teeth there by Lampard.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #3144 on: May 16, 2013, 07:21:53 pm »
My God that is a beautiful trophy. Fuck all those who said "would rather not qualify for the Europa Cup".

Truth++

It's definitely the best looking of all the trophies I reckon. It's not the best to win obviously, but it's fucking gorgeous. By contrast the "premiership" (which I guess is the one I'd most like us to win) is a fucking horrible gaudy piece of shite that looks like something Liberaci would have shat in.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline RedRedTom

• Knows how to get you there. Finding his thrills on Denmark Hill
  • Legacy Fan
  • Luis Garcia, he drinks sangria
« Reply #3145 on: May 16, 2013, 07:33:32 pm »
Truth++

It's definitely the best looking of all the trophies I reckon. It's not the best to win obviously, but it's fucking gorgeous. By contrast the "premiership" (which I guess is the one I'd most like us to win) is a fucking horrible gaudy piece of shite that looks like something Liberaci would have shat in.
I think the World Cup looks stunning, but a lot of my mates think I'm bonkers, definitely love the look of this one as well.
Luis Garcia... tries his luck........

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #3146 on: May 16, 2013, 07:46:13 pm »
Very happy for Rafa, he has shown the slanderous press over here that he's above their crap, while he just focuses on winning trophies.
JFT97

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3147 on: May 16, 2013, 08:24:27 pm »
Chelsea what a bunch of horrible graceless ungrateful gobshites - I can't bear to see them win anything.

However, on the other hand, I am completely delighted for Rafa.
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3148 on: May 16, 2013, 09:07:26 pm »
Not sure if it's already been posted

An 11-year-old boy from Liverpool shocked friends and family by joining Chelsea players as they collected their Europa League winners' medals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-22555151
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3149 on: May 16, 2013, 09:19:14 pm »
Not sure if it's already been posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-22555151

"Louis, described as a "cheeky chap", attended the match with his father as they are both "avid football fans".

It is understood Chelsea FC has no idea how he gained access to the team.

Louis' aunt Francesca Kearns, 28, said: "I was watching the game, but I wasn't paying much attention to it. I've then seen a blond boy walk past the screen and I said 'I'm sure that's our Louis'

...Television pictures showed Louis shaking the hand of a bemused UEFA president Michel Platini as the players prepared to lift the trophy. "

:lmao well in lad.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #3150 on: May 16, 2013, 09:37:29 pm »
"Terry, described as a "cheeky chap", attended the match with his father as they are both "avid football fans".

It is understood Chelsea FC has no idea how he gained access to the team.

His aunt said: "I was watching the game, but I wasn't paying much attention to it. I've then seen someone walk past the screen and I said 'I'm sure that's our John'

...Television pictures showed John Terry shaking the hand of a bemused UEFA president Michel Platini as the players prepared to lift the trophy. "

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #3151 on: May 16, 2013, 09:48:45 pm »
"Louis, described as a "cheeky chap", attended the match with his father as they are both "avid football fans".

Good lad. ;D

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3152 on: May 16, 2013, 10:05:05 pm »
Benfica's coach looks like Rod Stewart  :D

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #3153 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:08 pm »
Benfica's coach looks like Rod Stewart  :D

Terry taking a picture of himself there...
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Online Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3154 on: May 16, 2013, 10:14:53 pm »
Terry taking a picture of himself there...

Clearly going for the Brave English Waiter look.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3155 on: May 17, 2013, 01:05:56 am »

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #3156 on: May 17, 2013, 01:20:50 am »
The kid that joined the Chelsea players as they were collecting their medals. Around 1:02

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abuIe_9J2G0&list=UUGAbUGzbWKLHIH0KodA2DJg&index=1
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #3157 on: May 17, 2013, 06:26:01 am »
Haha I agree with him but he doesn't sound the sharpest tool in the box & a bit over the top

http://m.talksport.co.uk/radio/drivetime/130515/amazing-west-ham-caller-why-he-doesnt-want-chelsea-win-europa-league-197658
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 06:38:50 am by WEST HAM PAUL »
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3158 on: May 17, 2013, 07:37:01 am »
Just saw the full game, Benfica players and fans really took this seriously. Crying at the final whistle, flat out on the ground. Two injury time winners in two games that decided their fate (almost in the league) within a week...ouch. Don't mind most of their players, but Luisao that prick, not too sad to see him lose.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #3159 on: May 17, 2013, 08:38:20 am »
It's funny how a trophy can change people's perception of a manager.

He's still the same manager he was 7 months ago when he took the job.