Author Topic: Best Chippy in Liverpool?  (Read 119250 times)

Offline VintageRed74

• or perhaps Vladimir or even Estragon. Best fiends with Maggie..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Best Chippy in Liverpool?
« Reply #320 on: September 9, 2008, 07:58:22 pm »
Regardless, like any other chippy in town it's foul as you would expect, no point being good as people will still go there regardless.
Baaaaa Humbug  :lickin
I never normally forget a face, but in your case I'm willing to make an exception.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: September 9, 2008, 09:53:18 pm »
Where does Chips Cheese & Gravy?? :P

Barely find any of them in England at all, any one in Liverpool is my sure favourite.

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #322 on: September 10, 2008, 08:17:02 am »

Barely find any of them in England at all, any one in Liverpool is my sure favourite.

There's one in Sheffield, gave my mate a bit of a funny look when he asked for it though (can't abide it myself, cheese has no place in a chippy)  Don't know of one in Liverpool, surely if they do chips and cheese AND gravy then you're laughing.

Best chippy round by me (in Liverpool) is the Abbey Friar.  Lovely crispy batter on the fish and the chips are tip top (in my opinion).  Dosen't half close early nowdays though.

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #323 on: September 10, 2008, 01:52:01 pm »

Get out of here you dirty, dirty bastard!!
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline pete price

• is currently off-air.
  • Kopite
« Reply #324 on: September 11, 2008, 03:27:55 pm »
anyone remember salt's chippery just off derby lane?

must have closed about 20 years ago now but still must have been one of the last chippys to use newspaper to serve the chips in.  old skool.  does anywhere still do that now?

for my tuppence worth on the lobster pot. i appreciate food, for instance, i refuse to eat a McNasty's and have eaten in a few michelin starred restaurants around the world but a chicken burger and chips with chilli and mayo from the lobster pot takes some fucking beating. it's just one of those things that can't be explained, like when nothing but a bacon butty will do.
Andy @ About-turn Re:Kuyt as a winger? Reply on:September 18, 2008 
I said that I could see him getting 10 goals and 10 assists.
erm, you didn't...
Andy @ About-turn Re: Kuyt and Babel Reply on:July 24, 2008
yes, I really believe that it's possible he could get 20 goals in all competitions - and 20 assists doesn't look out of the question either

Offline HelterSkelter

• Kopite
« Reply #325 on: September 14, 2008, 07:01:01 pm »

Chris's on Rose Lane used to do cheese and chips. They also sell gravy  ;)

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #326 on: September 26, 2012, 11:03:47 am »
Went the lobster pot the other night, the one by the met quater. Bit pissed I was and fancied some chicken wings, jesus christ she must have given me abar thirty of them, she couldnt close the lid, my eyes lit up.

Scoffed them in there, I must have looked a scary sight and I'm luck to still own fingers. Thing is, I cant remember if they were nice or not.

Anyway I'm back in here after a four year gap (tut tut) to see if there are any new decent chippys/takeaways about.
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: September 26, 2012, 11:07:11 am »
I've lived in the North east and the North West. Not found a decent chippy, ever in liverpool. Somewhere that does a nice fish and chips and curry sauce. Tried plenty, horrible chips, crap fish and rank curry.

Offline coct3au

• twins with arsefinger
  • Kopite
« Reply #328 on: September 26, 2012, 02:10:04 pm »

Yeah, they still do, had it a couple of weeks ago. Also, one of the takeaways on the Bold St/Slater St junction - don't think it's a dedicated chippy, so perhaps not for the purists, but if you want some cheese and chips on a Friday night, it does the job.

Was in Lobster Pot 2 the other week, and the girl behind the counter was possibly the most uninterested/dismissive shop assistant I've ever met, it was funny ;) Chips and contempt (large).

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #329 on: September 26, 2012, 03:33:56 pm »
I've lived in the North east and the North West. Not found a decent chippy, ever in liverpool. Somewhere that does a nice fish and chips and curry sauce. Tried plenty, horrible chips, crap fish and rank curry.

the Swan in Garston was the only reliable chippy for fish and chips ive ever come across....never used to cook the fish until you came in ...always the same very high standard + curry sauce was delicious.....closed down about 18 months ago when the old dear who ran it retired and ive searched for somewhere to replace it...but hit and miss isnt in it!

and dont get me started on decent Chinese Takeaways in South Liverpool....there isn't one...not a single one...they range from just about bog standard to inedible shite.....oh for the days of restaurant standard salt and pepper ribs / crispy duck and hot and sour soup out of The Oriental Star on Long Lane!....alas the days of good Chinese takeaway scoff are no more
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #330 on: September 26, 2012, 03:52:20 pm »
The Hang Fung over the road from Tesco on Park road has become our Chinese Takeaway. Does a decent crispy chilli beef and chips.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #331 on: September 26, 2012, 09:23:18 pm »
Not sure if it is still there but there was one on Cherry Avenue, right by Queens Drive.

Me Nan & Grandad used to go there when they lived in Ince Avenue - served in yesterday's Echo!

Probably about 15 years ago last time I went though
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: September 26, 2012, 10:24:31 pm »
steves is by far and away the best chippy aigburth vale. A close second as someone further up mentioned would be the abbey friar at the woolton triangle .
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #334 on: September 26, 2012, 10:41:07 pm »
There is a boss chippy behind the Police training college on Greenhill Road (off Booker) in Allerton - plus there is a fit bird behind the counter sometimes!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: September 26, 2012, 10:43:33 pm »
not bad that one either mate, opposite the greenhills pub..decent chippy that
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #336 on: September 26, 2012, 10:51:14 pm »
Byrne's on Stuart Road in Walton.

Offline Foster

• Anny Roader
« Reply #337 on: September 26, 2012, 10:53:24 pm »
The chippys an fast food places are shit in Speke anyone recommend a chippy or little pizza shop not too far away?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: September 28, 2012, 05:34:30 pm »
There is a boss chippy behind the Police training college on Greenhill Road (off Booker) in Allerton - plus there is a fit bird behind the counter sometimes!
only5times doesn't like this.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #339 on: September 28, 2012, 05:56:12 pm »
The Mermaid on Kenny was my childhood favourite. This was until my mate's Jack Russell fell in the fat. They were still serving 10 minutes later. Little sod only had a moderately burned arse, to be fair. This may explain a lot about the somewhat insipid fish cakes.

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #340 on: September 29, 2012, 09:47:39 am »
Mike and acies in hunts cross does boss meals, especially the mixed meat vermicelli

but the chips are shit, it looks like one huge chip
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:22:07 pm by trigger »
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #341 on: September 29, 2012, 10:46:09 am »
Ocean Food Bar on Longmoore Lane in Fazak, does everything, always delicious.

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #342 on: September 29, 2012, 02:22:18 pm »
A chippy with a Bronze Age twist - perfect for an after battle snack.

Ha
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #343 on: September 29, 2012, 11:10:38 pm »
steves is by far and away the best chippy aigburth vale. A close second as someone further up mentioned would be the abbey friar at the woolton triangle .

I'll second that Roady!! Steve's, best chippy in Liverpool!! :) :)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #344 on: October 2, 2012, 04:40:24 pm »
the Swan in Garston was the only reliable chippy for fish and chips ive ever come across....never used to cook the fish until you came in ...always the same very high standard + curry sauce was delicious.....closed down about 18 months ago when the old dear who ran it retired and ive searched for somewhere to replace it...but hit and miss isnt in it!

and dont get me started on decent Chinese Takeaways in South Liverpool....there isn't one...not a single one...they range from just about bog standard to inedible shite.....oh for the days of restaurant standard salt and pepper ribs / crispy duck and hot and sour soup out of The Oriental Star on Long Lane!....alas the days of good Chinese takeaway scoff are no more

Billy's Chippy in Moreton also cooks the Fish to order. I'd rather wait a few minutes for the Fish to cook fresh than get one from the shelf, as god knows how long they've been there & half the time it's been there so long that they reheat the Fish & i loath reheated Fish.

Anyone remember the old Chippy on Whitechapel, think it only used to be open during the day not sure when it closed down, but the Chippy won awards for couple of years?
#Sausages

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #345 on: October 2, 2012, 05:07:54 pm »

Offline Rafette

• Kopite
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off.....
« Reply #346 on: October 2, 2012, 10:23:15 pm »

Anyone remember the old Chippy on Whitechapel, think it only used to be open during the day not sure when it closed down, but the Chippy won awards for couple of years?

Rousso's? Used to dash in for a portion of chips and a chop suey roll after work before getting the bus home :)
"If you can't make decisions in life, you're a bloody menace. You'd be better becoming an MP!" Bill Shankly

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: October 2, 2012, 11:03:35 pm »

On the rare occasions i find myself round there, Chris's is a must.
Justice for the 96!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: October 2, 2012, 11:41:35 pm »
On the rare occasions i find myself round there, Chris's is a must.
Things have changed as well in 4 years mate :D

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: October 3, 2012, 08:55:55 am »
Things have changed as well in 4 years mate :D

Please tell me that Chris's is

a) Still there
b) Class

I only ever end up in that part of Liverpool to visit god awful relations that think me and my part of the family exist to give them handouts. Chris's was the only thing that made those visits ok.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2012, 08:57:48 am by MrGrumpy »
Justice for the 96!

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: October 3, 2012, 10:45:00 am »
I can confirm that its still there, and still boss.
cyas

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #351 on: October 3, 2012, 01:59:05 pm »
Rousso's? Used to dash in for a portion of chips and a chop suey roll after work before getting the bus home :)

That's the one, it's now the Bar Euro.
#Sausages

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #352 on: October 3, 2012, 02:24:56 pm »
Chris's in Rose Lane just reminds me of being in halls and getting chips and mushrooms on my way home as I'd missed tea due to going to matches! Lovely and a bargain
We are a team of one half.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: October 3, 2012, 05:29:46 pm »
Please tell me that Chris's is

a) Still there
b) Class

I only ever end up in that part of Liverpool to visit god awful relations that think me and my part of the family exist to give them handouts. Chris's was the only thing that made those visits ok.
Yeah its still there but probably 2-years since I've seen Chris or either of his lads. Its still ok but my kids prefer Steve's in Aigy Vale now.
But I do recall the days when it was spectacular - I even remember signing the Echo nomination as the best chippy in Liverpool many moons ago. It was a treat to go every day for my dinner from school.

Offline Beef

• Jerky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: February 10, 2014, 11:55:41 pm »
Where in Anfield does the best Salt and Pepper Chicken? Tried a few and most are shite.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #355 on: February 11, 2014, 10:12:00 am »
Where in Anfield does the best Salt and Pepper Chicken? Tried a few and most are shite.

The welcome chippy on priory road !

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: February 11, 2014, 10:26:14 am »
Only skim-read this thread but very few mentions of Byrnes on Stuart Road. You lot should be ashamed. Bloody southend knobheads ;)

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: February 11, 2014, 11:08:13 am »
Steve's in Aigburth.

/thread

Offline XabiAlonsosBeard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: February 11, 2014, 02:09:12 pm »
The New Aigburth on Aigburth Road is decent. But the meals can take ages at times.

Not a chippy as such, but Elif in Lark Lane also does wonderful takeaway.
Justice for the 96.

Loves a missed penalty!

Offline Yolanderyolando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #359 on: February 12, 2014, 11:48:57 am »
Albert and Jeans on park road

The New Aigburth is dirt.

Steve is also very good though.