Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1076905 times)

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
Re: The Klopp Template
« Reply #3640 on: October 5, 2019, 03:39:36 am »
Can some kind soul post this article for those of us in Canada for whom goal always redirects to a different site?

Nabil Fekir’s former agent has revealed that late demands from the player's entourage contributed to his Liverpool move falling through in the summer of 2018.

Fekir, who was playing for Lyon at the time, was on the verge of a move to Anfield, having travelled to Liverpool to finalise a deal.

At the last minute, however, Liverpool backed out of the deal, with Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas saying later that the Reds had experienced a "change of heart."

There was speculation that Fekir's injury history prevented the £53 million (€60m/$66m) transfer, but the player's former representative Jean-Pierre Bernes says that isn't the full story.

“Nabil was Liverpool’s priority. I worked for four months with the Liverpool representatives, with (Liverpool manager) Jurgen Klopp, Jean-Michel Aulas, everything was ready," Bernes told Canal+.

"Nabil was already aware of his future contract, which would have seen him earn around €45m (£40m/$49m) over five years.

"And on the day that the contract was supposed to be signed, at Rambouillet, we saw a lawyer and Nabil’s brother-in-law arrive who said: ‘Stop everything, discussions have to start all over again.’

"It was surreal. We thought that we were in a Walt Disney film.”

Bernes did admit that Fekir's history of knee injuries were a factor in the deal falling through.

"There were two elements," Bernes said. "The player’s medical was negative and the second element was that when you want to sign for a big club like Liverpool, you need a certain attitude.

"When the Liverpool guys witnessed this cinema, they immediately … Sometimes when a player has an injury, representatives can make an effort to make it work.”

Bernes went on to explain that Fekir, who moved to Real Betis this summer for a £22m (€25m/$27m), was not aware of what was happening as the transfer fell through.

“The brother-in-law of Nabil Fekir all of a sudden acted like a player’s agent," Bernes continued. "He wanted a commission, everyone knows, it is fashionable these days.

"[Fekir] was on a cloud, he seemed to have transformed, he didn’t even greet the Liverpool representatives.

"He arrived after the medical, everyone was looking at each other, the Liverpool representatives were wondering where they were. I was ashamed.”

Last month, Fekir claimed that he still did not know exactly why his tranfer to Anfield did not materialise.

Fekir has made six La Liga appearances for Real Betis this season, scoring two goals and adding one assist.

C'est dommage pour lui, mais la vie est pénible.

I seem to remember a lot of folks having a go at the club for being heartless, but the abruptness of the transfer collapsing suggested there was more to it than a failed medical. The club's character screening process wasn't as robust as they would have liked during this proposed transfer.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3641 on: October 5, 2019, 03:42:48 am »
Thanks demain.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3642 on: October 5, 2019, 03:49:55 am »
C'est dommage pour lui, mais la vie est pénible.

I seem to remember a lot of folks having a go at the club for being heartless, but the abruptness of the transfer collapsing suggested there was more to it than a failed medical. The club's character screening process wasn't as robust as they would have liked during this proposed transfer.

This explains not only why we never went back at a reduced fee, but that no one else followed up. A definite sliding doors moment for both the club and him, if his in-laws suddenly don't interject themselves into the proceedings

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3643 on: October 5, 2019, 01:43:18 pm »
What a dickhead. On the verge of a dream move and fucks it up.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3644 on: October 5, 2019, 02:14:00 pm »
and thats why despite his talent, he's at Real Betis.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3645 on: October 5, 2019, 02:15:01 pm »
People need to remember this is one side of the story, he is no longer his agent whose to say whether this is true?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3646 on: October 5, 2019, 02:23:41 pm »
People need to remember this is one side of the story, he is no longer his agent whose to say whether this is true?

True but that doesn't explain why nobody worth their salt wanted him afterwards ergo he's at Betis who are no better than Lyon

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3647 on: October 5, 2019, 02:35:11 pm »
True but that doesn't explain why nobody worth their salt wanted him afterwards ergo he's at Betis who are no better than Lyon

It could have been they believed the stories about his injury, or maybe the fact that they had to deal with that arse owner at Lyon, who knows?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3648 on: October 7, 2019, 04:17:24 am »
There will probably come a time where someone will try to figure out if there was ever a team that won something that had their FB's do so much work and my guess would be there will be no other team.  Just wondering how it will evolve from here.  Klopp's preferred lineup you have to figure is now a Fabinho/Gini/Hendo midfield in which Gini and Hendo are basically water carriers for Robbo and Trent.  Can Robbo and Trent play another 4500 minutes?  If not how will the team adjust?  I have no doubt the team will overcome whatever hurdle is in front of them but it is kind of crazy when you look at it.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #3649 on: October 7, 2019, 04:54:53 am »
There will probably come a time where someone will try to figure out if there was ever a team that won something that had their FB's do so much work and my guess would be there will be no other team.  Just wondering how it will evolve from here.  Klopp's preferred lineup you have to figure is now a Fabinho/Gini/Hendo midfield in which Gini and Hendo are basically water carriers for Robbo and Trent.  Can Robbo and Trent play another 4500 minutes?  If not how will the team adjust?  I have no doubt the team will overcome whatever hurdle is in front of them but it is kind of crazy when you look at it.

Celtic 67. Probably covered the same distance per game, if not at the same intensity.

Although you'd have to be specific and say "fullbacks in a back four system", as wingbacks perform the same role as our boys, and probably put in the same work. In which case, there are probably a few examples.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3650 on: October 7, 2019, 07:17:58 am »
Good, no need for any cameras when Klopp is talking to the players.

I absolutely hate knowing what goes on behind the walls at football clubs. Fine the odd video like that Fifa thing we did or that Inside Anfield videos but beyond that it should be out of bounds. I know we did that awful documentary a few years ago but I would hate the thought of us doing something like that or like the Man City one.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3651 on: October 7, 2019, 07:34:45 am »
Celtic 67. Probably covered the same distance per game, if not at the same intensity.

Although you'd have to be specific and say "fullbacks in a back four system", as wingbacks perform the same role as our boys, and probably put in the same work. In which case, there are probably a few examples.

It's interesting that in Brasil they're called laterals rather than fullbacks and are expected to play in both halves. But of course the team must have a skilled defensive midfielder that can spot danger before it happens - when one or both laterals are up the field.

What Babu said about Brazilian laterals

I think it is because some British people still have a British understanding of full back. Which is principally a defensive player who was shifted wide to protect the flank - the least valuable part of the pitch in terms of threat compared to both half spaces and the center. Anything going forward is just a bonus       ...      in Brazil, the position is lateral. Which literally just means "side" and their job is to dominate the entire flank. There is nothing in the word to designate it as a defensive position at all. Most formations with laterals have nothing else on the side of the pitch with narrow midfielders and attackers. By having 2 less flank players it allows them to pack the more valuable areas. If your lateral can dominate the side, it forces other opposition players to move to the flanks to protect against them thus giving you overloads in the center.  ...
« Last Edit: October 7, 2019, 07:40:03 am by kavah »

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #3652 on: October 8, 2019, 06:48:42 am »
He became our manager 4 years ago today :) Think he's done all right for himself
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #3653 on: October 8, 2019, 07:09:07 am »
I absolutely hate knowing what goes on behind the walls at football clubs. Fine the odd video like that Fifa thing we did or that Inside Anfield videos but beyond that it should be out of bounds. I know we did that awful documentary a few years ago but I would hate the thought of us doing something like that or like the Man City one.
I think you're right - there's a certain mystique about not knowing what really happens, and in a world of no privacy and where every word or action is micro analysed, there needs to be some things that remain off limits.

I'll always wonder what Rafa's half time Istanbul talk was like, but not knowing makes it more intriguing and more magical considering what followed. It will still be discussed decades from now, and is all part of that legend and our history. I can imagine Klopp's talks are equally inspiring and motivating, both in the dressing room and on the training ground, but that is all part of what makes our club so revered around the world. We know a big part of Klopp's template is about belief and passion, but some things should remain sacrosant. Making documentaries and allowing too many cameras in would be an intrusion that that would spoil some of the magic.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3654 on: October 8, 2019, 12:00:21 pm »
I think you're right - there's a certain mystique about not knowing what really happens, and in a world of no privacy and where every word or action is micro analysed, there needs to be some things that remain off limits.

I'll always wonder what Rafa's half time Istanbul talk was like, but not knowing makes it more intriguing and more magical considering what followed. It will still be discussed decades from now, and is all part of that legend and our history. I can imagine Klopp's talks are equally inspiring and motivating, both in the dressing room and on the training ground, but that is all part of what makes our club so revered around the world. We know a big part of Klopp's template is about belief and passion, but some things should remain sacrosant. Making documentaries and allowing too many cameras in would be an intrusion that that would spoil some of the magic.

It would spoil the magic because 99% of half time and pre match talks are entirely mundane.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3655 on: October 8, 2019, 12:44:02 pm »
It would spoil the magic because 99% of half time and pre match talks are entirely mundane.
Perhaps 99% of the talks you've given or witnessed are like that, but unless you've been in a Premier League dressing room at half time (which you haven't), then you've no idea what is said - especially the inspirational speeches to which I was referring.

Is there anything in football you won't claim to know all about?!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3656 on: October 8, 2019, 12:56:56 pm »
Perhaps 99% of the talks you've given or witnessed are like that, but unless you've been in a Premier League dressing room at half time (which you haven't), then you've no idea what is said - especially the inspirational speeches to which I was referring.

Is there anything in football you won't claim to know all about?!

No you're right. Every single Premier League manager, every week, gives an inspirational speech at half time - a speech of Churchillian proportions, with all the linguistic heft of a Shakespearean soliloquy.

I mean, I've only heard it from  two World Cup coaches, a league winning manager, a Premier League DoF, several ex Premier League club players, watched loads of those behind-the-scene documentaries, read loads of coaching biographies, been to numerous coaching seminars, read a ton of sports psychology papers, worked with professional players and coached with ex pros and count a number of them as colleagues and friends.

So you're right, I have absolutely no basis for my claim whatsoever.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3657 on: October 8, 2019, 01:01:37 pm »
Ohhhhh get you :lmao

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3658 on: October 8, 2019, 01:06:38 pm »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3659 on: October 8, 2019, 01:13:29 pm »
Why you had to do him like that ?

:D

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3660 on: October 8, 2019, 01:14:08 pm »
No you're right. Every single Premier League manager, every week, gives an inspirational speech at half time - a speech of Churchillian proportions, with all the linguistic heft of a Shakespearean soliloquy.

I mean, I've only heard it from  two World Cup coaches, a league winning manager, a Premier League DoF, several ex Premier League club players, watched loads of those behind-the-scene documentaries, read loads of coaching biographies, been to numerous coaching seminars, read a ton of sports psychology papers, worked with professional players and coached with ex pros and count a number of them as colleagues and friends.

That's not what I said in my original post at all - I referred to Rafa's speech and Klopp's motivational and passionate talks. You then leapt on it to spout one of your usual patronising and tiresome 'know it all' comments.

You've become a parody of yourself on here.

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3661 on: October 8, 2019, 01:19:10 pm »

POP, you mean to tell me that half time talks are not like the first 4 minutes and 50 seconds of this:  https://youtu.be/PZmd1wU10xk  What a let down.  :sad

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3662 on: October 8, 2019, 01:20:47 pm »
But you've never been in a Premier League dressing room at half time, especially not a Liverpool one, and especially not with Rafa or Klopp - is that correct?

Or are you going to say your were in the Ataturk that night, giving Rafa some of your wisdom, as I wouldn't be surprised if you claimed that too.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3663 on: October 8, 2019, 01:26:32 pm »
That's not what I said in my original post at all - I referred to Rafa's speech and Klopp's motivational and passionate talks. You then leapt on it to spout one of your usual patronising and tiresome 'know it all' comments.

You've become a parody of yourself on here.

All I said was if we had cameras in the dressing rooms, we'd find out that 99% of team talks at half time are mundane - injury assessments, positional changes, subs on, tactical changes, and then "let's go out there and keep working" type stuff. The big speeches are notable because they are rare. I was actually agreeing with you if you read back - in the same way that knowing how the rabbit appears in the hat takes away from the magic of a trick, seeing the consistent ordinariness of half time team talks would take the mystery away from it.

You made it personal, though. You played the man, not the ball, as the mods would say.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3664 on: October 8, 2019, 02:29:13 pm »
But you've never been in a Premier League dressing room at half time, especially not a Liverpool one, and especially not with Rafa or Klopp - is that correct?

Or are you going to say your were in the Ataturk that night, giving Rafa some of your wisdom, as I wouldn't be surprised if you claimed that too.

Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't buy his nonsense. 
He's like that lad that everyone knows - no matter what you do, he's done it better.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3665 on: October 8, 2019, 02:47:21 pm »
Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't buy his nonsense. 
He's like that lad that everyone knows - no matter what you do, he's done it better.

Genuine question: would you have this attitude towards a surgeon when they explain how surgery is actually done compared to how its shown in the movies?
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3666 on: October 8, 2019, 02:51:17 pm »

My records show the Reims side of 55/56 ran 1.864km further.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #3667 on: October 8, 2019, 02:54:13 pm »

Do you count John Sitton as a colleague and friend?  ;D

Are you telling me that half-time talks aren't like this then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SN9le_U5SI

I remember a HT team 'talk' my joint managers did when we were 4-0 down (at a Sunday league level). They came up to us and one said: "They're good lads."  :lmao :lmao :lmao Inspiring stuff. We only lost 6-0 tbf so it half worked!

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #3668 on: October 8, 2019, 02:54:50 pm »
If all half time talks were epic speeches. Then they would swiftly lose their impact.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3669 on: October 8, 2019, 03:09:38 pm »
Give it a rest, lads. It's the fourth anniversary of Klopp joining us - time to relax, contemplate, smile, have a beer.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3670 on: October 8, 2019, 03:10:40 pm »
If all half time talks were epic speeches. Then they would swiftly lose their impact.

well yes. Don't think anyone claims, or thinks they are mind! And when you have so little time after the players have come back from the pitch and had their few minutes, only so much you can do and talk about.

But still, why would any coach secure in his own mind want them filmed. It's for the coaches and the players only, no one elses business. Maybe those who need an ego-massage, or those working for horrendous PR machines masquerading as football clubs like Red Bull Salzburg and Abu Dhabi FC, it's different.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2019, 03:12:12 pm by Dim Glas »

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3671 on: October 8, 2019, 03:19:20 pm »
Genuine question: would you have this attitude towards a surgeon when they explain how surgery is actually done compared to how its shown in the movies?
What would your attitude be towards a surgeon talking about a type of surgery they've never studied or performed before?

The orignal post specifically mentioned Klopp and Rafa's Istanbul half time talk - as far as I'm aware, no one this site has any specific knowledge about either. It's probably true that most half time talks aren't amazing, motivational speeches, but then again, I don't think keyop ever said they were.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2019, 03:21:17 pm by Roger Federer »

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #3672 on: October 8, 2019, 03:50:15 pm »
this is the thread about the boss, no?
so here's a question..

i love his 3 fist thrusts to the Kop after a good result..

i've noticed that the Wolves manager also did this to his fans on the weekend..

it is something that Klopp pioneered? With other managers copying?

Or did Klopp get it from someone else?

It's pretty iconic I reckon.... and I love the intensity of it... plus the connection with the fans!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3673 on: October 8, 2019, 03:59:03 pm »
so here's a question..

It's pretty iconic I reckon.... and I love the intensity of it... plus the connection with the fans!

No idea about pioneering, but he used to do it at Dortmund, just not the same way as here. It'd be more for goal celebrations, and usually one, not three! He had different ways of celebrating with the fans at BVB and Mainz that he doesn't do here, so this is certainly more of a LFC thing.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3674 on: October 8, 2019, 04:17:42 pm »
so here's a question..

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/c0KyjMx4uV8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/c0KyjMx4uV8</a>
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3675 on: October 8, 2019, 04:34:09 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/c0KyjMx4uV8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/c0KyjMx4uV8</a>

I remember watching that, or one very much like it, about 4 years ago this week and thinking "I'll have some of that."

...and we got it didn't we.  That charge off down the touchline after an injury time equaliser in a 3-3 draw with Arsenal.  Everyone jumping on him and each other in the 5-4 at Norwich.  Running on the pitch and hugging Alisson against Everton last year.

Mad bastard.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3676 on: October 8, 2019, 04:37:56 pm »
I remember watching that, or one very much like it, about 4 years ago this week and thinking "I'll have some of that."

...and we got it didn't we.  That charge off down the touchline after an injury time equaliser in a 3-3 draw with Arsenal.  Everyone jumping on him and each other in the 5-4 at Norwich.  Running on the pitch and hugging Alisson against Everton last year.

Mad bastard.

funny thing is, he's calmed down quite a lot since he's been at Liverpool too  ;D   

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #3677 on: October 8, 2019, 10:56:56 pm »

Thanks for that.

And as someone said above - looks like the orchestrated 3 fist thrusts to the crowd at the end of our games is a unique LFC thing he's started.

And that Wolves manager has copied..

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3678 on: October 9, 2019, 06:54:17 am »
That celebration where he falls over on the advertising boards  :lmao

He's one of us, and goes crazy just like we do. Love the guy.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #3679 on: October 9, 2019, 09:49:47 am »
What exactly is the Klopp template right now? Is it similar to a 1982 Brazil with the two flankers: Alexander-Arnold and Robertson? With more running and faster players?