Author Topic: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer  (Read 130763 times)

Offline redhokie8

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer
« Reply #1200 on: March 6, 2012, 02:56:07 am »
I for one just hope we don't get taken advantage of again. I don't mind the players that we brought in with the ideas I assume dalglish had in place, but I don't think the represent good value for money. I'm probably going to get slated for this, but it looks like we've made some pretty poor decisions in the transfer market. Admittedly I'm not the biggest meireles fan, but adam isn't an improvement on him. I'm also surprised this hasn't been brought up, but I think babel did more for us than downing has. I do think enrique, coates, bellamy, and suarez, were a great bit of business. I don't think the adam deal was bad, but I don't think he improved upon what we had, and I think the players that we could've gotten instead of Carroll and Downing is depressing. I'm optimistic that they'll be able to do the job for us, but it's a bit of the joke that we can spend 60 million pounds on 2 players and we've gotten very limited production from them. I'm just hoping that we get those players that dalglish thinks maybe able to complete his machine and see what they can do, but If it's unable to do what it was assembled to do serious questions need to be asked.

Offline Colin

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1201 on: March 6, 2012, 03:01:12 am »
I for one just hope we don't get taken advantage of again. I don't mind the players that we brought in with the ideas I assume dalglish had in place, but I don't think the represent good value for money. I'm probably going to get slated for this, but it looks like we've made some pretty poor decisions in the transfer market. Admittedly I'm not the biggest meireles fan, but adam isn't an improvement on him. I'm also surprised this hasn't been brought up, but I think babel did more for us than downing has. I do think enrique, coates, bellamy, and suarez, were a great bit of business. I don't think the adam deal was bad, but I don't think he improved upon what we had, and I think the players that we could've gotten instead of Carroll and Downing is depressing. I'm optimistic that they'll be able to do the job for us, but it's a bit of the joke that we can spend 60 million pounds on 2 players and we've gotten very limited production from them. I'm just hoping that we get those players that dalglish thinks maybe able to complete his machine and see what they can do, but If it's unable to do what it was assembled to do serious questions need to be asked.

Why should you get "slated" for it?  Any supporter of any other club on the planet would objectively say we made poor signings, why can't one say it on RAWK?  It's a triable fact.

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1202 on: March 6, 2012, 03:07:51 am »
Why should you get "slated" for it?  Any supporter of any other club on the planet would objectively say we made poor signings, why can't one say it on RAWK?  It's a triable fact.
Think as a whole the signings have been ok, but, they have been squad building signings. Summer is the time that we need first teamers and at least 2 top drawer signings. Imo we desperately need a striker and a right sided attacker. Dosent need to be an out and out winger, someone in the lavezzi mould would be great. Just hope we make the right moves this time, this club has been out of europes elite competition for far too long.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1203 on: March 6, 2012, 03:14:00 am »
                      Reina
Johnson   Skrtel  Agger Enrique
              Lucas       Adam      
      Gerrard                        Downing
                  Suarez  Caroll

It's pretty obvious where we are underperforming in the first team, you can shuffle into just about any formation but to me the same players are still the weak links regardless of formation. 

1. New Striker: We're not scoring goals but creating plenty of chances
2. New DM/CM: Close but I think Downing could be better with a different striker up front
3. A Winger: We are not getting enough from wide areas

That's my order of preference. I'm happy with squad depth but in my veiw we are missing cutting edge.

Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Colin

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1204 on: March 6, 2012, 03:27:07 am »
                      Reina
              Lucas       Adam      
                  Suarez  Caroll

It's pretty obvious where we are underperforming in the first team, you can shuffle into just about any formation but to me the same players are still the weak links regardless of formation. 

2. New DM/CM: Close but I think Downing could be better with a different striker up front

That's my order of preference. I'm happy with squad depth but in my veiw we are missing cutting edge.

Stark but true.  We need to address the same areas that we "addressed" last year with a huge amount of Ł. 

We MUST get it right this year

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #1205 on: March 6, 2012, 03:30:05 am »
Didn't Comolli say recently that players were interested in signing for Liverpool because of the project we have going here? I'm not really sure what kind of players those are but without Champions League football I highly doubt we're going to attract many top stars. Suarez was a one off. Realistically I'm not sure a project that sees us lying in 7th (and we've been there for quite some time) is going to entice players in to coming here. Last summer many fans held on to the hope that players of Aguero's or Sanchez' calibre would sign here. It was never going to happen of course just as the Cavani's or Hazard's won't happen this summer.

I think we sounded out a few realistic options in January. Gaston Ramirez and Luke De Jong will probably be our high end buys.
YWNA

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1206 on: March 6, 2012, 03:43:57 am »
I think we sounded out a few realistic options in January. Gaston Ramirez and Luke De Jong will probably be our high end buys.

I heard City want Ramirez now. If we did indeed identify him as a target then we should have acted.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #1207 on: March 6, 2012, 04:00:17 am »
                      Reina
              Lucas       Adam      
                  Suarez  Caroll

My problem with your opening statement 'pretty obvious where we are underperforming in the first team' is that there are few matches where we've been the poorer team. The vast majority of all those draws at home (which is what's killing us, points wise) we were far and above our opponents, which also holds true for some of the away games - man city away, we lost 3-0 but we were the better team on the nite overall.

HOWEVER, as we all know, taking our chances has been woeful so all those games where we're clearly bossing games (city away, manu & norwich home etc etc) have often come to naught because they've managed to get goals where we've missed ours.

So you see my problem - I do not believe we are underperforming as a whole, but we are seriously woeful when that whole provides chances in front of goal. The last game being one of the best examples of this.

So I agree, and it's as obvious as anything in football, that unless our current players can start sticking the ball in the net, then we need to buy someone who can do that job.

But as we're creating lots of chances then the wings and central midfield are providing what's necessary. Of course, I'm not claiming they can't improve or there aren't better players out there and the players you've highlighted are the weaker members of that first team you've selected but I think you're doing them a bit of disservice suggesting they're not doing their jobs. If we weren't creating plenty of chances to win games in the majority of our matches, then fair enough, but as we are I think you're over-stating their weakness/failings (Carroll is an exception as he's a striker, that's his job - altho there are mitigating circumstances when he's in the side, but that's a another discussion).

Some might argue they're (Adam and Downing) not contributing enough goal wise but that is true of everyone who isn't highlighted (apart from Skrtel, he's doing fine for a defender). Putting defense aside as we're doing fine defensively, the team's main job is to create goal scoring chances - teams with Adam and Downing playing have done that on numerous occasions this season.

I understand where you're coming from but for me it's too simplistic and sweeping in assumptions regarding where we're 'underperforming' as a team for the reasons I've stated and that's not even taking into account the fact that the team you've chosen has rarely (if at all) played together - if you put up a team and highlight the players underperforming in that team it's very hard to judge if that team hasn't actually played together...
« Last Edit: March 6, 2012, 04:11:24 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline blue.moon

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1208 on: March 6, 2012, 04:56:34 am »
                      Reina
              Lucas       Adam      
                  Suarez  Caroll

Imagine something like:

Reina
              Lucas       Banega      
      Gerrard                        Lavezzi
                  Suarez  Huntelaar

That  could be one of the best teams in Europe! And then you have the likes of Bellamy, etc as super subs.

The money spent last year was so poorly spent on average players. 100m spent on them? 65m could have gotten you top, top class players.

Gerrard, Bellamy, Kuyt, Rodriguez, are all around 32. How much longer will they be useful to you?
« Last Edit: March 6, 2012, 05:02:32 am by blue.moon »

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1209 on: March 6, 2012, 04:58:36 am »
Imagine something like:

Reina
              Lucas       Banega      
      Gerrard                        Lavezzi
                  Suarez  Huntelaar

That  could be one of the best teams in Europe! And then you have the likes of Bellamy, etc as super subs.

The money spent last year was so poorly spent on average players. 100m spent on them. 65m could have gotten you top, top class players.

:lmao

Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline blue.moon

• Boys Pen

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1211 on: March 6, 2012, 05:15:49 am »
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline redhokie8

• Kopite
« Reply #1212 on: March 6, 2012, 05:18:01 am »
I feel like we over emphasize the significance of champions league football. I feel like if players see teams are willing to spend money on good players they'll be willing to come. I think all it takes is getting that one top notch player then other players will fall in line. I feel like having players like reina, gerrard, suarez, kuyt, and lucas is enough to pull other top players, that coupled with us having money to spend, and a new found stability is enough to attract top players. This summer who are we going to be competing with? arsenal tottenham ? teams that could easily lose their best players. Looks like chelsea isn't going to be any more appealing, which means they'll be in the same boat as inter. Madrid and barce can only bring in so many players. I think if we're willing to go out there and spend we can get top notch players. I think it's all in selling the project. I don't think players like martinez, muniain, cavani, banega, lavezzi, huntelaar, m'vila etc are that far out of our grasps honestly. Too be honest I can't really see us getting into the top four without making these kinds of signings either, much less making a title push. If we're willing to spend the amount of money we have done recently I feel like that's the expectation.

Offline blue.moon

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1213 on: March 6, 2012, 05:20:39 am »
I think this is where you ask yourselves as fans, where do you see your club in the next few years? And where would you like to be?

Offline Brandon@Flowers

• is a Mormon (with a lapsed m)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1215 on: March 6, 2012, 05:21:55 am »
Yep,deffo would go for a top top striker even if that means that we'd have to look at cheap signings like Hoilett for an attacking midfield position.
CF is our first priority.After that,an AM/RW if we have the cash.
I think that splashing the cash on 2 top long term signings this summer will pay dividends.
I'd be over the moon if we got Hoilett and a top class CF.  Hoilett may be cheap because he's a Bosnam but he has all the makings of a top player.  And we have Sterling (hopefully) coming through in a few years time.

Offline Brandon@Flowers

• is a Mormon (with a lapsed m)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1216 on: March 6, 2012, 05:23:36 am »
(I wonder who'll remember this)

So, how many Boswell players should Liverpool sign?

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1217 on: March 6, 2012, 05:31:07 am »

You are right that all of the attack are guilty of not performing but the two i've given a pass to are Steven Gerrard & Luis Suarez. Does anyone have any doubt at all they can perform? We can be sure Gerrard & Suarez can perform because they've proven it at all levels throughout their career. This is the only time in pretty much either have had a poor output.

Stewart Downing is different. He's on 25 league appearances had 50 shots on goal and has 0 goals 0 assists so he's performing the worst of any player but worse than that is his track record isn't stella. I've seen him have pretty bad form slumps before in his career and I've never seen him perform on a big stage. Now it might be that he can turn it round but can we rely on it? Likewise for Adam, he was poor at Rangers and had 1.5 good seasons at Blackpool.  How can you have trust their ability the same as you would Gerrard and Suarez? You can't and that's why I say it's pretty easy to identify our weaknesses.

Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Online surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #1219 on: March 6, 2012, 05:39:04 am »
Yep,deffo would go for a top top striker even if that means that we'd have to look at cheap signings like Hoilett for an attacking midfield position.
CF is our first priority.After that,an AM/RW if we have the cash.
I think that splashing the cash on 2 top long term signings this summer will pay dividends.

Mate of mine is a Blackburn Rovers season ticket holder. He says Hoilett has been acting a right twat in the last few months. Being proper lazy, putting half-arsed performances in coz he wanted away in january. Is that someone we really want at our club?

Offline And CouldHe Play!

• but not And Could He Play, different bloke entirely.
  • Kopite
  • Shakedown, 1979
« Reply #1220 on: March 6, 2012, 05:56:45 am »
After a year off, I do worry whether Lucas will ever be as good as he was when he got injured. Cruciate Ligaments do have lasting implications, no? Not saying it's an area we need to look at in the Summer, just voicing a concern.

Midfield is lacking depth and creativity IMO. Adam is not consistent and Henderson has neither the experience or confidence to take charge. Chance conversion is also an issue at the front end and without Bellamy no real attacking output on the wing. A lot of problems
Fuck it, I'm taking me dog for a walk. The pair of us are completely bollocksed and take turns a piece dragging one another along. We look a bit like one of Roy's midfield pairings, but with a wee bit more guile and panache. Well, on the dog's side, anyway

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1221 on: March 6, 2012, 06:09:19 am »
Mate of mine is a Blackburn Rovers season ticket holder. He says Hoilett has been acting a right twat in the last few months. Being proper lazy, putting half-arsed performances in coz he wanted away in january. Is that someone we really want at our club?

yeah but look at what their captain did.  that whole club is in shambles. 

Offline aurelian

• Kopite
« Reply #1222 on: March 6, 2012, 06:13:44 am »
that whole club is in a shambles.

Offline aurelian

• Kopite
« Reply #1223 on: March 6, 2012, 06:15:42 am »
:lmao

which part exactly is so untrue it's laughable?

we did spunk one hundred million on average players.

I assume you're laughing because it's easier than crying.

Offline Tonyh

• Tony get the shots in (after 7pm)
  • Legacy Fan
  • .............is the final piece of the jigsaw!
« Reply #1224 on: March 6, 2012, 06:35:34 am »
which part exactly is so untrue it's laughable?

we did spunk one hundred million on average players.

I assume you're laughing because it's easier than crying.

Come on, it is laughable to think that we might even sign 2 of those 3. Even I was chuckling when I saw it. Why not just add Hazard and Cavani!
Let's also never forget the 39!

Offline Uruguayan36

• Loose Wires mouthpiece
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1225 on: March 6, 2012, 06:48:13 am »
If we sell some players...

We sell and get $12 milions for Carrol...another $10 for Downing...plus $7 milions for Adam...plus$6 for Bellami...plus another $7 milions for Henderson, we would have $ 42 Milions to buy Cavani and Ramirez.

Assuming that Cavani would cost $ 50 milions...and Ramirez  another $15....That would be $65.000.000.

Take away $42.000.000 and we will have only $23 milions to pay for both players.

Than...Liverpool will have this team:

Reyna
Skrtel...Agger/Coates
Johnson...Gerrard...Lucas...Gaston Ramirez.
Suarez...Cavani.

Offline aurelian

• Kopite
« Reply #1226 on: March 6, 2012, 06:51:49 am »
Come on, it is laughable to think that we might even sign 2 of those 3. Even I was chuckling when I saw it. Why not just add Hazard and Cavani!

well, I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I do think Banega/Lavezzi/Huntelaar are more gettable than Cavani/Hazard, you disagree?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1227 on: March 6, 2012, 06:52:30 am »

We sell and get $12 milions for Carrol...another $10 for Downing...plus $7 milions for Adam...plus$6 for Bellami...plus another $7 milions for Henderson, we would have $ 42 Milions to buy Cavani and Ramirez.

Assuming that Cavani would cost $ 50 milions...and Ramirez  another $15....That would be $65.000.000.

Take away $42.000.000 and we will have only $23 milions to pay for both players.

Reyna
Skrtel...Agger/Coates
Suarez...Cavani.
I always love it when you post about transfers and who should come in and go out.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1228 on: March 6, 2012, 06:52:33 am »
I can live with the disappointment of Downing, Adam and to some extent, Henderson but I just don't think Carroll fits in with the team. This is not a criticism of him but we have to face the fact that our management paid a lot of money for a piece of puzzle which doesn't fit.

Offline aurelian

• Kopite
« Reply #1229 on: March 6, 2012, 06:53:39 am »
I can live with the disappointment of Downing, Adam and to some extent, Henderson but I just don't think Carroll fits in with the team. This is not a criticism of him but we have to face the fact that our management paid a lot of money for a piece of puzzle which doesn't fit.

it's part of The Plan, doncha know.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #1230 on: March 6, 2012, 06:57:06 am »
You are right that all of the attack are guilty of not performing but the two i've given a pass to are Steven Gerrard & Luis Suarez. Does anyone have any doubt at all they can perform? We can be sure Gerrard & Suarez can perform because they've proven it at all levels throughout their career. This is the only time in pretty much either have had a poor output.

Stewart Downing is different. He's on 25 league appearances had 50 shots on goal and has 0 goals 0 assists so he's performing the worst of any player but worse than that is his track record isn't stella. I've seen him have pretty bad form slumps before in his career and I've never seen him perform on a big stage. Now it might be that he can turn it round but can we rely on it? Likewise for Adam, he was poor at Rangers and had 1.5 good seasons at Blackpool.  How can you have trust their ability the same as you would Gerrard and Suarez? You can't and that's why I say it's pretty easy to identify our weaknesses.

We both agree that gerrard and suarez are better players than adam and downing (i'm sure everyone does) but identifying our weakest players on the teamsheet you put up wasn't actually the point being made. To reiterate - our problem is scoring the chances we create not creating them in the first place. Adam and downing you would hope would chip in with a goal here and there but they're not primarly brought in to score goals, rather to make the team function in a way kenny sees us playing and creating chances for the team. I stand by my point, they have done that along with the rest of the team for the majority of games we've played. To point them out above all others (along with carroll) in respect of lack of goals doesn't make sense - if they were both strikers, fair enough, but they're not. If the teams they're in aren't creating chances and can be identified as being due to those two players not providing anything, you'd have a point, but we all know we are creating plenty of chances and those to have been instrumental whether that be through build up play or direct crosses, passes etc - to say they have failed is erroneous.

The failure has been in taking those chances. It really is that simple.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline fefs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1231 on: March 6, 2012, 06:58:50 am »

Reyna
Skrtel...Agger/Coates
Suarez...Cavani.

nah.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1232 on: March 6, 2012, 06:59:05 am »
well, I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I do think Banega/Lavezzi/Huntelaar are more gettable than Cavani/Hazard, you disagree?

We do not have City's wage budget to attract the calibre of these types of players without CL.  ???

Muhammad Ali

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1233 on: March 6, 2012, 07:00:11 am »

Exactly.

Muhammad Ali

Offline aurelian

• Kopite
« Reply #1234 on: March 6, 2012, 07:03:53 am »

it really isn't.  It is ONE of our problems, yes.  But there have been many games where we've been outplayed not only because we didn't take chances, but because we didn't create them.  This chances business is a smokescreen for the real problem.  Yup, we definitely could have scored a few if we hadn't hit the post, etc etc, but how many games have we played where we've drawn or lost where we simply didn't play well enough, hm?  taking our chances is one of our problems.  But we have others that are bigger. 

Offline iiqae

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1235 on: March 6, 2012, 07:05:16 am »
it really isn't.  It is ONE of our problems, yes.  But there have been many games where we've been outplayed not only because we didn't take chances, but because we didn't create them.  This chances business is a smokescreen for the real problem.  Yup, we definitely could have scored a few if we hadn't hit the post, etc etc, but how many games have we played where we've drawn or lost where we simply didn't play well enough, hm?  taking our chances is one of our problems.  But we have others that are bigger.

not that i disagree with you, but what are our other problems then?

Offline aurelian

• Kopite
« Reply #1236 on: March 6, 2012, 07:16:12 am »
not that i disagree with you, but what are our other problems then?

1) our midfield lacks quality
2) there is a disconnect between the midfield and the strikers
3) our primary striker pairing (Suarez/Carroll) has little to no understanding

I think we're getting too obsessed with this whole "chances created" phenomenon, before this season that was never focused on so much.  The definition of a chance created is simply a pass which results in a shot on target.  Okay.  Great.  And Comolli and Kenny went and bought players who, by their own admission, ranked high in statistics in "chances created." 

But it is such a misleading statistic.  Suppose Enrique has the ball in our own corner.  Suppose Carroll is standing right in front of the opposition keeper at the other end.  Suppose Downing is standing right next to him. Suppose Enrique takes the ball from our end of the pitch to the other, and beats ten men, then passes it to Downing, who passes it one foot to Carroll, who takes a shot on goal.  Well, the "chance created" would officially be by Downing, even though Enrique did 99% of the work.

The point is pretty clear.  We're obsessed all of a sudden with crossing the ball into the box, which is ridiculously ineffective (even moreso with Downing who aims not at any LFC player in particular but instead at the shins of the first defender).  Instead of obsessing about "creating chances," we need to base everything on the quality of the midfield.  The shots on goal should only be the natural conclusion of midfield quality.  We should pass and move and it doesn't matter who gets the final pass before the shot.  We used to play like that.  Hell we used to play like that under Dalglish, towards the end of last season.  We don't anymore.   Our best "chances" this season if you can call them that were after some nice intricate play in the midfield, and the most promising build-up play comes, again, from midfield.  It didn't come from bouncing it out to Downing who then waits while everyone piles into the box for him to send it a lackluster cross.  We need to play through midfield build-up, passing other sides into submission and then finding the final pass.  In that sense the "chance created" isn't just the final ball, it's the 10 or 15 passes before it that created the space for someone to get free. 

But right now, our starting XI isn't good enough for that.  Gerrard is, but he's injured too much lately.  Lucas is out for the season.  That leaves us with Henderson, Downing, Spearing (who I rate highly and has more bollocks than either of the first two combined) and Adam.

Henderson, let's not even go there, I'm told he is the future, he'll be a star one day, which apparently means he can play shite now and be a passenger.  Okay, fine.  Downing does little to nothing.  Spearing I think is great, and does his own job as DM quite well while also playing some aggressive attacking football from deep.  Adam is not good enough, but I've started to come around to him because at least he tries stuff, unlike Downing and Henderson.

That midfield is simply not good enough.  And don't act like we're kneejerkers---even the players know it.  Go back again and watch the Bolton match, in the 43rd minute, Henderson dumped some ball over Bellamy's head, it got intercepted easily by the Bolton back line.

Bellamy turned around and yelled "JORDAN!  I need more from you, mate, I need more from you."

Bellamy was absolutely class that night, as usual.  And yet he's supposed to get service from... Henderson?  It's really fucking insulting that we put these players around our top talent like Suarez and Bellamy.  The midfield we have out there right now really doesn't know what it's doing.  That, to me, is the biggest problem.  We have occasional flashes of brilliance (there was a nice build up against the Arse that ended up in a Henderson shot in the first half), but the vast majority of the time it's Suarez throwing his hands up in the air because our midfield just isn't at his level.

Those, to me, are all bigger problems.

Offline hulksagoodboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1237 on: March 6, 2012, 07:20:54 am »
I think instead of Lavezzi in that line-up, move Suarez out wide..
Get a top-class striker with good movement and a solid right-sided midfielder (Potentially even move Johnson up and throw Kelly in the back.) and we'd be 10 times better off.
Bet Suarez would score a lot more goals from that position as space would be granted to him on the respect of the striker.
Have a midfield three of Gerrard/Lucas/Henderson/Adam attached to that and I think we'd be okay really.

Still keep Downing, Shelvey, Bellamy as subs/working in to the squad (Shelvey mainly)

Biggest question is going to be who leaves in the summer (Cole, Aquilani, Kuyt, Maxi, potentially Doni and Carroll [not that I'd want him to go, who'd want to be the 35 million pound striker being pushed down the pecking order though?]).. If those are the players leaving, the money coming back into the club off of wages and fees alone is going to be quite substantial. assuming apart from Doni, they're all on 40-90k a week each.

Has Aquilani triggered his buy-out clause yet or has a mystery injury hit and going to plague him for the rest of the season?

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1238 on: March 6, 2012, 07:22:56 am »

3) our primary striker pairing (Suarez/Carroll) has little to no understanding

That's a key problem and if you filtered down further, it's Carroll. It's not that he's rubbish but he just doesn't fit into the way we play at Liverpool. He doesn't run into space to exploit the creativity of Suarez. Kuyt is currently the best partner for Suarez and I don't think he's the ideal match for Suarez's talent. It's a real pity that Torres left because imagine what the pair would do to defences in the country.

I'd say sell Carroll and invest in a proper striker. Even if Walcott is going to be that person, so be it!

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1239 on: March 6, 2012, 07:27:46 am »

Reyna
Skrtel...Agger/Coates
Suarez...Cavani.

2-4-2 formation. That might work.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager