Author Topic: Change of formation even at full strength?  (Read 4488 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What formation and adjustments suit our squad most ?
« Reply #40 on: February 3, 2023, 10:09:51 am »
I don't know about formation, but this mid-block is the only set up that has made us look like a team. Yes, xG has been given up and goal scoring is a huge issue. But less goals conceded has to be a overriding factor until Diaz and Jota get back.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: February 3, 2023, 10:38:05 am »
The forward line is a concern for me because I'm not really sure what system would suit them as a group. Obviously we need to fix midfield but we have an ageing Salah being stuck wide right away from goal, then we have a bunch of players better down the middle in Nunez, probably Jota and apparently Gapoko as well as Firmino. But down the middle is where I reckon Salah needs to be playing. Ironically, after spending a huge amount on forwards in Diaz, Nunez and Gapko, we're left with an unbalanced group and no one who can replace Salah on the right and allow him to go more central. Of course to do that we probably need to go 4-2-3-1 which is a million miles from being possible right now because our midfielders can't cope as a 3, as a 2 it'd be carnage. Maybe if all of them were fit, with genuine pace from Diaz and Nunez and clever movement and directness from Jota, Salah would be fine in a 3.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2023, 10:39:58 am by Knight »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #42 on: February 3, 2023, 10:42:48 am »
At some point I (when everyone's fit), I'd like to see 4231 with a forward line of Diaz, Nunez and Elliott, with Gakpo behind as the 10.  Then Trent can overlap a bit when Harvey comes inside.

Needs midfielders behind them though, wish we had some.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.