Author Topic: Guardian interview with John Henry - now updated with Part II  (Read 17672 times)

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Guardian interview with John Henry - Part I
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 08:19:52 am »
Liverpool future looks bright under John W Henry
By Paul Plunkett
BBC Sport

John W Henry slips unnoticed out of a side door at Slaughter and May law offices in London, successfully avoiding the camera lenses of more than 100 photographers camped outside the entrance.

The tall, quietly spoken American has spent the last 24 hours in a public duel with compatriots George Gillett and Tom Hicks for control of Liverpool Football Club and needs to escape the suffocation of battle for a couple of minutes.

He takes off his glasses and scuttles down an alley, inhaling the ice-cold October air to revive him after another sleepless night.

An elderly gent approaches and immediately recognises the man trying to dethrone Liverpool's vilified owners.

"You are the messiah," he says before disappearing into the autumn chill.

Henry knew he was buying more than a football club. Like the famous Boston Red Sox baseball franchise, which he acquired in 2002, he knew he would be inheriting a fan base built on tradition with fierce loyalty and an almost religious fervour where players and managers are worshipped.

Less than an hour later, Henry gets the phone call he has been waiting for - he is the new owner of one of Europe's biggest football clubs.

When Liverpool face Manchester United at Anfield on Saturday, it will have been a year to the day since that life-changing call.

Life-changing for Henry. Life-changing for many of the fans who had marched against the previous regime. Life-changing for Kenny Dalglish, the original King of the Kop, who returned as manager in January after a 20-year absence.

Henry's success will be measured in silverware.

Liverpool fans know they can't compete financially with the likes of Manchester City. "I do not have Sheikh in front of my name," says the 62-year-old, a foreign exchange trading advisor. Indeed, he was listed 20th in the recent Football Rich List with a £600m fortune, a figure dwarfed by the £20bn of Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour.

But fans expect to see progress and ambition - and Henry has delivered to the tune of £115m in the transfer market so far, although plenty was recouped by the sales of Fernando Torres and Raul Meireles to Chelsea for a combined £62m.

Supporters want stability not hollow promises. They want the football team not the club owner to make the headlines.

Former Liverpool manager Roy Evans, who spent 33 years on the Anfield staff, has been impressed with Henry's first year at the helm.

"He has won over the fans in a very subtle way without forcing himself down their throats," Evans said. "He has been very sensible since he took over. He hasn't rushed into any silly moves or any silly promises.

"He has sat back and had a look at the club as a whole. The club looks in a far better shape than it did two or three years ago."

Evans was part of the famous Anfield 'Boot Room' - literally a boot room where the likes of Bob Paisley, Ronnie Moran, and latterly Dalglish would gather after games to discuss tactics and strategies over a glass of whisky. What happened on the pitch outweighed anything off it.

Dalglish is keen to reintroduce that Boot Room culture, fusing his traditional approach with the modern ideas of assistant Steve Clarke and director of football Damien Comolli.

And Henry is happy to support the Scot. He is only too aware Liverpool's last top-flight title came under Dalglish's stewardship 21 years ago.

Not that 21 years is a long time in the American's eyes. He helped the Boston Red Sox end an 86-year wait for a World Series title in 2004. And then repeated the feat three years later for good measure.

It seems there is more than good business sense to his success. Henry cares about the club but more importantly about the fans, the traditions and the values.

Stan Grossfeld, the two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist from the Boston Globe, was with Henry in Liverpool on the day he bought the club.

He told BBC Sport: "John is eclectic, shy, soft-spoken, intelligent and has a wry sense of humour. He always does his homework.

"When he first arrived in Liverpool and the Press was looking for him, he was secretly meeting with a fans' group.

"He didn't promise them anything but he asked questions and listened."

In fact, he was meeting with Kevin Howson, of the redwhiteandkop.com website, who emailed the millionaire businessman and was shocked to land a one-on-one interview.

Howson said: "Henry listened and was very interested in what I had to say, which is great to see.

"We had got to the point with Hicks and Gillett where football was irrelevant. Our club was going out of business.

"Because of that, Henry still has to win some fans over. We didn't ask questions under Hicks and Gillett but now we will. But it's so far, so good.

"We've fallen a long way back but we feel we've turned the corner."

With change comes suspicion. So what does John W Henry get out of spending £300m on a Premier League football club?

"I do not think any individual buys a sports franchise, or an English football club, to make money," Henry said.

"Maybe a few but they need their heads examined. It is about competing at the highest level in the world's largest sport for us. That is why we are here."

And when Grossfeld asked him on the plane journey back to Boston if he prefers "soccer" as a business or baseball, the answer was succinct: "Well, there isn't a 48% tax [in soccer]."

In the next year, along with managing director Ian Ayre, he will develop Liverpool's marketing strategies throughout Asia - one of the more lucrative areas to tap into.

Television revenues remain top of the list and this week Ayre claimed Premier League clubs should be able to sell their own broadcast rights overseas. This would mean Liverpool could expoit their worldwide popularity without having to share the TV pot with other Premier League clubs.

Henry will also have to tackle the stadium issue at Liverpool, which is still to be resolved after several years of planning. The sticking point is the financial viability of paying for a new stadium without seeing a return through the turnstiles. Naming rights remains key.

And he will continue to invest on the field without leaving the club with a trail of debt.

It is clear Henry has delivered one year in. He has brought Dalglish back, invested in players, respected the traditions of the club and listened to the supporters, the heartbeat of Liverpool.

As fan Kevin Howson said: "For the first time in a long time, we can start talking about the football again."

There's no bigger compliment, Mr Henry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15278873.stm
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2011, 08:37:10 am »
Nice one making the BBC Kev ;)

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
  • Lord, I can't go back there...
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 09:22:10 am »
Give VdM his own show!

But here's a flavour of what's being said in Boston about our owners. The idea that LFC has distracted them is firmly taking root. The only caveat is the guy writing this is a bit of a c*nt.

Wind of change
By Dan Shaughnessy
Globe Columnist / October 13, 2011

Utter chaos.

It’s back to the bad old days over on Yawkey Way. The Red Sox of 2011 are the Red Sox of Buddy LeRoux and Haywood Sullivan - doofus co-owners wrestling on the carpet of their Fenway Park offices back in 1983. They are the Red Sox of Tom Yawkey and his chorus line of drunken employees finishing out of the money from the 1930s through the ’60s.

There are so many things wrong with the Sox at this hour, it’s difficult to know where to start. The manager is gone, the general manager is gone, the owners are in hiding, and the players are a loathsome lot totally unworthy of the money and adulation they receive.

Theo Epstein’s gone. It was a seismic event when he quit in 2005. This time, his departure is lost in the mix as the Sox go from freefall to nuclear fallout. The Fenway lawn is scorched earth.

Did we ever think the vaunted “new’’ owners would make Frank McCourt look good?

Apologies are in order, all around. John Henry, Tom Werner, and Larry Lucchino need to come out of hiding and say they are sorry for this embarrassment.

Ditto for the cowardly ballplayers. Instead of blasting a reporter (“where’d you get this number?’’), phony captain Jason Varitek needs to explain how the ballplayers in the clubhouse abandoned their professionalism on his watch. Jon Lester, Josh Beckett, and John Lackey need to drop the bad-ass act (none of them returned calls from Bob Hohler before his explosive story in Wednesday’s Globe) and apologize to fans for their disrespect of the manager and the franchise. Put down the long-necks and the Double Down sandwiches and tell the fans you are sorry.

But why would they? They are joyless and enabled. We learn from Hohler’s story that when players complained about having to play a day-night doubleheader, out-of-touch Sox owners gave them $300 headphones and a night on Henry’s yacht.

Pathetic.

The worst collapse in the history of baseball wasn’t enough shame for this crew. They had to take on the persona of entitled rock stars who flip off the fans and demand only red M&Ms in their dressing room.

John Henry and friends have lived a charmed existence since buying the ball club in December of 2001. They have won a couple of World Series and made Fenway Park a tourist destination on a par with the Bunker Hill Monument and Old Ironsides. They sold their baseball souls to sell a few Fenway bricks and boost the ratings of their hideous network.

Now we’ve all had enough with Roush Racing and Liverpool soccer. Yankee fans never had to worry about George Steinbrenner taking his eyes off the prize in the interest of building ships.

Try this on with your pink hat: On the final night of the regular season, while the Sox were playing in Baltimore, fighting for their playoff lives, virtual ads during the baseball broadcast reminded you to watch Liverpool-Wolverhampton the next day at 4 p.m. That’s the same time that the Sox would have been playing their one-game playoff against Tampa Bay on TBS.

Got that? On Thursday, Sept. 29, at 4 p.m., the geniuses at NESN wanted you to watch soccer - instead of a one-game playoff involving the Red Sox.

Consistent with this insult, NESN the next day cut away from analysis of a postmortem press conference featuring Terry Francona and Theo Epstein (remember them?) at Fenway. While NESN rival Comcast went knee-deep into analysis, the Sox flagship TV station went to soccer.

Wow.

And now we have nothing from the owners since the night Francona was fired - unless you count the Baghdad Bob hour they granted to their flagship radio station that was simulcast on their own television network. There was plenty of talk about “shelf life’’ that day. Lucchino finished a lot of Henry’s sentences.

Can anyone blame Epstein for wanting to get away from this? Any chance he was encouraged to look elsewhere? I know one thing: Sox fans won’t be happy to see the ball club lose the still-under-contract-Theo in exchange for more cash for Henry. What happened to getting Matt Garza? Or couldn’t the Sox have at least made the Cubs take Lackey in a package deal with the beleaguered GM?

When Epstein quit in 2005, there was much anguish in Red Sox Nation. This time the departure gets lost in the avalanche of negativity that washes over the franchise. It’s, “Thanks for playing, Theo. We’ll think of you every time Carl Crawford strikes out for the next six years.’’

The rebuilding of the brand can begin only when Epstein is officially gone. The Sox need to name Ben Cherington GM, then go about the business of regaining the fans’ trust. It would be nice if they’d hire a strong-willed field manager, but we fear they’re going to go with a no-name who’ll carry out the orders of Carmine the Computer, Tom Tippett, and Bill James.

The Sox expected to spend this winter preparing for the glorious 100th celebration of Fenway Park. Instead they are picking up pieces of their broken brand as they prepare to raise the third-place banner and celebrate Fenway’s centennial on April 20, 2012.

Maybe it’s time to show real fans that you are back in the business of baseball and junk “Sweet Caroline’’ in the middle of the eighth.
Looks like I chose the wrong day to feed the pigeons...

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 10:00:21 am »
Brian Reade: One year on...

Daily Mirror columnist and lifelong Liverpool fan Brian Reade looks back on a momentous twelve months in the history of Liverpool Football Club.

So there I was, a year ago, watching televised events unfold outside London's High Court, with my jaw on the front-room carpet, when the phone rang.

"Someone's got to write a book on this," said the London publishing agent.

"No, it's a play. A Shakespearian tragedy, a black farce, a Rocky Horror show, a dark, depressing, one-act wrist-slasher, but it's not a book, because no Liverpool fan will want to read it," I replied.

"I'm telling you it's a book and someone's going to write it, only it's got to be done quickly."

Part of me knew he was right. The harrowing series of events which took Liverpool FC to within hours of administration on Friday, October 15th 2010, needed to be chronicled before it became some blurred, distant nightmare.

Future generations needed to be told how the most clannish of football clubs fell into a fierce civil war, which ripped it apart, and had the most loyal of fans marching on the ground with fury in their hearts.

But who would want to be reminded of the pain so soon, apart from sado-masochists?

The next day I spoke to someone from the club who had been involved in the night of the long knives when, following the most astonishing transatlantic phone conversation, control of LFC appeared to have passed into new hands against the will of the former owners.

He convinced me it had been the most dramatic 24 hours in Liverpool's history.

And I realised the book did need writing. But it couldn't just be my take as a fan and a journalist, it needed the people on the inside describing how Tom Hicks's and George Gillett's 44-month reign impacted on them. Much to my surprise virtually everyone I contacted wanted to co-operate.

When I spoke to them, I realised why. There was an air of a confessional about the interviews. They had endured the most wretched times, and when it was over it felt like a dam had broken and they could finally unleash their pent-up emotions.

Writing An Epic Swindle was a bit like self-flagellation. Whipping myself with a cat o' nine tails at 6am every morning, for two months, in the harshest of winters. But I'm glad I heeded that agent's advice and wrote it, because every Liverpudlian needs reminding how low we fell and how we must never go there again.

I know I do. In fact I've needed reminding on a regular basis since the start of this season on hearing fellow fans moan about too much being spent on Player A, why on earth we bought Player B, and what a disgrace that we missed out on Player C.

And I don't know whether to laugh, cry or get myself up on an assault charge.

We didn't get Player C because he preferred a move to Man United, who are not only League Champions but Champions League regulars. Liverpool haven't been in the Champions League for two seasons because we spent four consecutive transfer windows under the previous owners suffering negative spends.

We bought Player B because Kenny Dalglish rates him and the owners backed him. And any fan seriously moaning about spending too much on Player A should recall Rafa Benitez's bi-annual pleading for funds to plug gaps in his squad which were met with orders to focus on training and coaching those he already had.

In other words, remember where we were a year ago this month: 19th in the League, the Kop having sit-ins, losing £100,000-a-day on debt interest, 14,000 fans engaged in an internet war with the RBS, restraining orders being issued by a Dallas court on board members, a Hollywood producer coaxing luvvies into a protest video, a top QC accusing the owners of presenting "a grotesque parody" of the club's reality, the best foreign players wanting out and a manager and his signings the fans could never love.

Then ask yourself how ridiculous it sounds hearing moans about Dalglish being given too much money to spend in an attempt to push us into next year's Champions League.

After suffering the former owners I don't want to tempt a dirty big omelette crashing into my face by praising the current ones, but Liverpool FC is in an infinitely better place than it was a year ago. Not that fifth in the league is a place we will accept for too long.

It's hard enough living with the reality that we are outside the European elite but knowing we're outside our own country's top tier is as painful as it is unacceptable.

Yet Rome ('77 and '84) wasn't built in a day. It takes time, especially when the financial juggernauts down the M62 and the Fulham Road, show no sign of slowing up. Mistakes will be made by football novices who, until a year ago, didn't know their Arsenal from their elbow. But these owners seem to grasp that taking  LFC back to where it belongs requires hard investment, hard work, patience, planning and above all, understanding what this club and its fans are about.

I was interested to read in Pepe Reina's autobiography (a story superbly told by Tony Barrett) of his initial meeting with John Henry.

He'd gone in expecting to ask lots of questions about Henry's plans, demanding to be sold his vision. Instead, Henry asked Pepe the questions. He wanted to learn where the club was going wrong before moving it forward.

Contrast that with Hicks and Gillett meeting Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard as they completed the take-over in 2007.

According to Jamie: "We all just told each other what we wanted to hear. We told them it would be great if they could do this and that and they said it will be great when we do this and that. It was all 'everything is going to be great.'"

Spot the difference. If you genuinely want to do well with a failing business you ask why it isn't working and how you can fix it. Then get on with fixing it.

If you want to keep people sweet while you make a quick buck, you give them candy-coated words and promise them the earth.

As someone who has followed Liverpool for 46 years I can say with some certainty that, Hillsborough and Heysel apart, the early months of last season were my darkest days as a fan.

But the darkest hour always comes before the dawn. And to be a Liverpudlian is to be an eternal seeker of light.

So who's to say that, one year on from near-Armageddon, a golden sky and the sweet silver song of a lark is not around the corner?

Author: Brian Reade, Daily Mirror

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/brian-reade-one-year-on
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 10:03:15 am »
The Manchester Guardian stirring it?
Well I never!

Exactly

Offline welshred1976

• Legacy Fan
  • make us dream
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2011, 10:12:27 am »
They can all fuck off. I fucking love John Henry - Long may he continue with the great job he has done so far.
“The status of the club is incredible, but it’s only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... it’s more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2011, 10:16:43 am »
jesus they really laid into him over there

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2011, 10:41:53 am »
I think Henry will put it right in Boston pretty quickly as Baseball is the game he grew up with. He will know exactly what to do like Beckenbauer or Hoeness at Bayern when things are going the wrong way. I would assume that Sox fans have less to worry about than us. 
I do think he did a great job so far though despite the fact that he has never been involved in european football before.. :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:47:40 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2011, 10:45:42 am »
wow there is some spite by Mr Dan Shaughnessy, the Globe Columnist.

Has the Sox been doing badly before this season, spectacular collapse it is?

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2011, 11:08:54 am »
"When he first arrived in Liverpool and the Press was looking for him, he was secretly meeting with a fans' group.

"He didn't promise them anything but he asked questions and listened."

In fact, he was meeting with Kevin Howson, of the redwhiteandkop.com website, who emailed the millionaire businessman and was shocked to land a one-on-one interview.

Howson said: "Henry listened and was very interested in what I had to say, which is great to see.

"We had got to the point with Hicks and Gillett where football was irrelevant. Our club was going out of business.

"Because of that, Henry still has to win some fans over. We didn't ask questions under Hicks and Gillett but now we will. But it's so far, so good.

"We've fallen a long way back but we feel we've turned the corner."

As fan Kevin Howson said: "For the first time in a long time, we can start talking about the football again."

Yay, VdeM!

Offline The Manhattan Project

• snood fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Have Become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2011, 11:12:02 am »
John Henry rubbed Tom Hicks' face in shit, and that makes the whole thing so much more satisifying.
china syndrome 810512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 59118 identification unknown 113
source transmission 4121 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 0101505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 010414 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2011, 11:43:06 am »
Of course you can run two seperate business and it not be detrimental. Henry and Werner are not doing the day-to-day decisions in either club. I mean if they didn't have highly paid people at every level who they trust it would be one thing, but as it is, they are overseeing and having the final say, but not making every tiny decision. It wasn't their place to 'notice the cancers', they had people earning millions a year whose job was to do that, if that failed, then they will shake up their staff and find people who can take care of business.
Pepsi owns KFC and Pizza Hut. If KFC's new product fails, would the press blame the CEO of Pepsi for spending too much time on the new Pizza delivery system they were working on? Of course not, but in sports you have fans who want easy people to blame when things go wrong, and there are plenty of journos happy to make money from feeding that need.

I think the situation will eventually balance things out.  It's inevitable though, that Henry must pay attention to his new asset, especially as he is getting to grips with a whole new sport.  Why that should equate to the Red Sox collapse though, well surely that's a question for their own management and players to answer?  If we failed to reach top four this season would we be blaming Henry for not investing enough money?  I doubt it.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

royhendo

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2011, 11:56:41 am »
Of course smithdownandy and shanklyboy had a wee role in there too mind. I'd imagine Kev told the BBC hack that and the BBC hack rolled them into one person.

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2011, 11:59:02 am »
I think the situation will eventually balance things out.  It's inevitable though, that Henry must pay attention to his new asset, especially as he is getting to grips with a whole new sport.  Why that should equate to the Red Sox collapse though, well surely that's a question for their own management and players to answer?  If we failed to reach top four this season would we be blaming Henry for not investing enough money?  I doubt it.

Exactly. But the Red Sox collapse was so complete and catastrophic that in sports mad town like Boston, everyone is going to cop some heat and flak. Just imagine if we were ten poins clear in the league with ten matches to play, and we didn't even make it into the Champions League come the end. Then stories emerged that the players were on the piss, didn't give too much of a shit, and the manager couldn't turn it around. This place would be in meltdown, and there would seven different kinds of shit thrown at everyone, including the owners. Some would say they were too interested in the Red Sox. Things will settle down eventually though. As I've said, elsewhere, it seems a bit of a purge was needed for The Red Sox. It might have been handled better, but the ends of eras tend to be messy.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2011, 11:59:44 am »
Of course smithdownandy and shanklyboy had a wee role in there too mind. I'd imagine Kev told the BBC hack that and the BBC hack rolled them into one person.

Nah. VdeM rewrote the entire history of the thing. He told the Beeb that Henry only wanted to talk to him because Linda wouldn't shut up about him. "Oh, that lovely Kev" she'd say. "And did you know he likes books?"

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2011, 12:00:26 pm »

No. He's a megalomaniac and he needs reining in.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2011, 12:01:39 pm »
jesus they really laid into him over there
Dan Shaughnessy is a shit-stirrer. His venom is usually 25% real and 75% trying to sell papers and annoy his victims for his amusement. So take his article above and tone it down a bit, and then you'll have a more accurate assessment of Sox fans right now. They're upset but it will settle down with time.

As I've said before, I've loved 95% of what Henry et al have done for the Red Sox.  This is a trying time for them, but they'll fix it I'm pretty confident. I think they're very good overall.  :)

However the one disgusting continuing trend with this ownership group -- and Liverpool supporters take note, because it has happened so often in Boston it seems inevitable to occur here too someday -- is that in most cases when a player or front office person leaves the club, or when the club is unhappy with a current resident, "unnamed club sources at the highest levels" contact their henchmen at local newspapers and reveal damaging gossip about the castoffs. Just this week, manager Terry Francona was cast as a man who lost control of his team because he was addicted to pain meds while living solo (wink, wink  ;) ) in an apartment apart from his family because he had failed his marriage, plus other sordid crap. Of course, none of this was mentioned while the Red Sox were in the midst of a masterful July or August.  ::)  The whispers came only after the truly excellent and ever-gracious Francona resigned (or more accurately, was not invited back by the owners).  Henry's folks have an addictive need to show that they are saints, and anyone leaving or failing them are sinners.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:05:43 pm by soxfan »
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Drippy Dick

• probably due to the tumble tossing
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2011, 12:56:47 pm »
Does any body else read Henry as Onry as in Thierry Henry?
I live my life for the stars that shine

Offline Billman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2011, 01:36:56 pm »
Did not find Guardian article particularly interesting or insightful. Won't be holding my breath for part deux

Offline The Jolly Boys Outing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2011, 02:27:07 pm »
AMF
AND ARBELOAAAAA

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2011, 02:28:04 pm »
Dan Shaughnessy is a shit-stirrer. His venom is usually 25% real and 75% trying to sell papers and annoy his victims for his amusement. So take his article above and tone it down a bit, and then you'll have a more accurate assessment of Sox fans right now. They're upset but it will settle down with time.

As I've said before, I've loved 95% of what Henry et al have done for the Red Sox.  This is a trying time for them, but they'll fix it I'm pretty confident. I think they're very good overall.  :)

However the one disgusting continuing trend with this ownership group -- and Liverpool supporters take note, because it has happened so often in Boston it seems inevitable to occur here too someday -- is that in most cases when a player or front office person leaves the club, or when the club is unhappy with a current resident, "unnamed club sources at the highest levels" contact their henchmen at local newspapers and reveal damaging gossip about the castoffs. Just this week, manager Terry Francona was cast as a man who lost control of his team because he was addicted to pain meds while living solo (wink, wink  ;) ) in an apartment apart from his family because he had failed his marriage, plus other sordid crap. Of course, none of this was mentioned while the Red Sox were in the midst of a masterful July or August.  ::)  The whispers came only after the truly excellent and ever-gracious Francona resigned (or more accurately, was not invited back by the owners).  Henry's folks have an addictive need to show that they are saints, and anyone leaving or failing them are sinners.
interesting

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2011, 02:52:10 pm »
From Kenny's press conference - high praise indeed and to be honest, for me a bit premature.

Kenny Dalglish has paid Liverpool's owners what he considers to be the ultimate compliment - by likening them to those who ran the club during his first reign in the 1980s.

John W Henry, Tom Werner and the rest of Fenway Sports Group arrived at Anfield a year ago this Saturday and have since invested heavily to turn around the club's fortunes on and off the pitch.

Asked to reflect on their year in charge at his pre-Manchester United press conference, Dalglish said: "The greatest compliment I can pay to them is that they're as good as the people who ran the club the first time I was here.

"That's a hell of a statement because the people who ran the club then, Sir John Smith and Peter Robinson, were two of the best any football club could ever have had.

"John, Tom Werner and the rest of the investors that have supported this football club have been absolutely fantastic.

"Since I came in January they've been nothing but supportive towards what we have to do. Their ambitions and aims are exactly the same as our most ardent fan - they want to have the success that everyone craves. And they've started off very encouragingly.

"We wish them a happy birthday and if we can get a win to put the icing on the cake then fine, we'll be happy with that.

Offline spencer

• Main Stander
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2011, 03:32:35 pm »
Part 2 is up:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/13/liverpool-overpaid-john-w-henry

Don't know if the mods want to start a separate thread or continue.

Even more of a hatchet job than the first part for me.

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2011, 03:33:45 pm »
Liverpool may have overpaid for players, concedes John W Henry

• Henry was initially unconvinced about Dalglish
• Liverpool have spent £110.5m on players since January

John W Henry, the principal owner of Liverpool, has suggested his Fenway Sports Group has overpaid for players, particularly in Boston and also in Liverpool, since they bought the football club a year ago this Saturday. Kenny Dalglish, appointed Liverpool's manager in January – which Henry described as "a calculated gamble" because he was not initially convinced Dalglish should return to management after an 11-year absence – has since spent £110.5m on players.

Liverpool's outlay includes £35m on Andy Carroll, £20m each for Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing, as well as £22m for Luis Suárez and £6m for José Enrique, the latter two generally felt in football to represent fair value. The Boston Red Sox, the baseball team Fenway owns, took on $300m (£191m) in new payroll commitments on two players, Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez, before this season, which nevertheless ended in dramatic collapse for the Red Sox.

Asked whether Liverpool achieved value in the transfer market or overpaid for Carroll and the other players signed at Liverpool, Henry suggested they felt they needed to show fans of both clubs they were prepared to make signings for big money: "There was a lot of criticism in Boston that we weren't going to spend money on the Red Sox after we did the LFC transaction. We spent something like $300m in the off-season in Boston, and then there was the fear we wouldn't spend in Liverpool.

"It is really surprising, ironic, to be now accused of overspending. Usually owners are accused of the opposite. Hopefully the fans of both clubs will eventually see what we see clearly – that there is nothing to fear from the existence of the other club and that Fenway Sports Group is much stronger financially because of Boston and Liverpool."

Asked if the signing of Crawford, the left-arm outfielder contracted for $140m in wages over seven years, whose performances were disappointing this season, represented overspending, Henry defended the 30-year-old, saying the player had only "had a bad year". Then he acknowledged: "Choosing players in any sport is an imperfect science. We certainly have been guilty of overspending on some players, and that can be tied to an analytical approach that hasn't worked well enough."

Henry, Fenway and the Red Sox general manager, Theo Epstein, reportedly about to leave for the Chicago Cubs, have previously been famed for using sabermetrics, a data-driven assessment of which players represent good value to buy, to which Damien Comolli, whom they appointed Liverpool's director of football, is said to subscribe. Comolli was hired following a recommendation by Billy Beane, the former general manager of the Oakland Athletics baseball team, who Henry said was his "initial adviser on the football side of Liverpool".

However, Henry said people have now become fixated on sabermetrics because of Moneyball, the book on baseball statistics by Michael Lewis, and said "football is too dynamic" to base recruitment largely on a statistical approach. Liverpool's signings, he explained, ultimately relied on scouting, not purely statistics. Comolli, he said, impressed with the all-round rigour of his approach rather than purely a reliance on data.

Henry, discussing Dalglish's appointment during three days of exclusive access granted to the Guardian in Boston, said he had not wanted to appoint the fans' idol, who had not managed since a brief stint at Celtic 11 years earlier, and Henry wanted Roy Hodgson to stay and revive Liverpool.

"Kenny is certainly charismatic and beloved by the fans," Henry said. "I wasn't convinced when we arrived that Kenny should be back managing and I wanted things to work with the manager we inherited. But the fans knew much more than I did. It took me a while to get up to speed. Then Ian Ayre [whom Fenway appointed Liverpool's managing director] was a catalyst.

"Damien was a gamble. Kenny was a gamble. But they were both calculated gambles. They both have the advantage of being passionate about their work and are both very clever. We didn't feel we had a lot of time to wait, and we hope things turned around."

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 05:53:06 pm by SalisburyRed »

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: Guardian interview with John Henry - now updated with Part II
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2011, 03:41:29 pm »
I think everyone here will agree that they overpaid for players...

.. particularly Crawford and Lackey.  ;)
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2011, 03:54:33 pm »
'as well as £22m for Luis Suárez and £6m for José Enrique, the latter two generally felt in football to represent fair value'.

Fair value my arse

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2011, 04:01:06 pm »
'as well as £22m for Luis Suárez and £6m for José Enrique, the latter two generally felt in football to represent fair value'.

Fair value my arse
bargains

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2011, 04:02:56 pm »
Yawn. Not as 'exclusive' as they bigged it up.  ::)

Offline StevieF

• Anny Roader
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2011, 04:04:19 pm »
In context, the piece actually suggests to me that overpaying refers to Red Sox players.  Journos generally aren't responsible for the title of their pieces.

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2011, 04:21:34 pm »

Fair value my arse
Sums up the article to be honest.

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2011, 04:24:09 pm »
They're a bit shite, really.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2011, 05:06:56 pm »

There is nothing in the interviews that Reds don't already know through the interviews and media work that the owners have already done. The only thing 'original' is that the Guardian is spinning it along the lines of our owners being feckless, ignorant, clueless, floundering, in line with a certain stereotype of foreign (and in particular American) owners, partly created, of course by the slugs who previously owned us.

Thats what the Guardian headline writers are doing with it, and its a bit tedious, lazy, cheap but ultimately, insignificant. We know the difference between these owners and the last, we can see steps forward being made, and we know our momentum is forward and positive.

Expected better from the Guardian to be honest but there you go, they have clicks to get and bills to pay as well.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline keswick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2011, 05:16:59 pm »
(Part one of this interview can be found here).

Liverpool may have overpaid for players, concedes John W Henry

• Henry was initially unconvinced about Dalglish
• Liverpool have spent £110.5m on players since January

John W Henry, the principal owner of Liverpool, has suggested his Fenway Sports Group has overpaid for players, particularly in Boston and also in Liverpool, since they bought the football club a year ago this Saturday. Kenny Dalglish, appointed Liverpool's manager in January – which Henry described as "a calculated gamble" because he was not initially convinced Dalglish should return to management after an 11-year absence – has since spent £110.5m on players.

Liverpool's outlay includes £35m on Andy Carroll, £20m each for Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing, as well as £22m for Luis Suárez and £6m for José Enrique, the latter two generally felt in football to represent fair value. The Boston Red Sox, the baseball team Fenway owns, took on $300m (£191m) in new payroll commitments on two players, Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez, before this season, which nevertheless ended in dramatic collapse for the Red Sox.

Asked whether Liverpool achieved value in the transfer market or overpaid for Carroll and the other players signed at Liverpool, Henry suggested they felt they needed to show fans of both clubs they were prepared to make signings for big money: "There was a lot of criticism in Boston that we weren't going to spend money on the Red Sox after we did the LFC transaction. We spent something like $300m in the off-season in Boston, and then there was the fear we wouldn't spend in Liverpool.

"It is really surprising, ironic, to be now accused of overspending. Usually owners are accused of the opposite. Hopefully the fans of both clubs will eventually see what we see clearly – that there is nothing to fear from the existence of the other club and that Fenway Sports Group is much stronger financially because of Boston and Liverpool."

Asked if the signing of Crawford, the left-arm outfielder contracted for $140m in wages over seven years, whose performances were disappointing this season, represented overspending, Henry defended the 30-year-old, saying the player had only "had a bad year". Then he acknowledged: "Choosing players in any sport is an imperfect science. We certainly have been guilty of overspending on some players, and that can be tied to an analytical approach that hasn't worked well enough."

Henry, Fenway and the Red Sox general manager, Theo Epstein, reportedly about to leave for the Chicago Cubs, have previously been famed for using sabermetrics, a data-driven assessment of which players represent good value to buy, to which Damien Comolli, whom they appointed Liverpool's director of football, is said to subscribe. Comolli was hired following a recommendation by Billy Beane, the former general manager of the Oakland Athletics baseball team, who Henry said was his "initial adviser on the football side of Liverpool".

However, Henry said people have now become fixated on sabermetrics because of Moneyball, the book on baseball statistics by Michael Lewis, and said "football is too dynamic" to base recruitment largely on a statistical approach. Liverpool's signings, he explained, ultimately relied on scouting, not purely statistics. Comolli, he said, impressed with the all-round rigour of his approach rather than purely a reliance on data.

Henry, discussing Dalglish's appointment during three days of exclusive access granted to the Guardian in Boston, said he had not wanted to appoint the fans' idol, who had not managed since a brief stint at Celtic 11 years earlier, and Henry wanted Roy Hodgson to stay and revive Liverpool.

"Kenny is certainly charismatic and beloved by the fans," Henry said. "I wasn't convinced when we arrived that Kenny should be back managing and I wanted things to work with the manager we inherited. But the fans knew much more than I did. It took me a while to get up to speed. Then Ian Ayre [whom Fenway appointed Liverpool's managing director] was a catalyst.

"Damien was a gamble. Kenny was a gamble. But they were both calculated gambles. They both have the advantage of being passionate about their work and are both very clever. We didn't feel we had a lot of time to wait, and we hope things turned around."

It stands to reason he wanted Roy to be a success....He was still naive to the task in hand! Guardian trying to make something out of nothing!!

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2011, 05:19:49 pm »

Fair value my arse

Puts the whole article in a much better context to be honest (i.e. Shiyte) 6M for Enrique was a steal. 22M for Luis Suarez was daylight robbery - he will command a 50M fee when, and if, sold.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2011, 05:52:44 pm »
(Part one of this interview can be found here).

Turns out that wasn't part two, but this is:

John W Henry turns from Red Sox to red shirts for the global gains

In the second of our exclusive series, the US owners of Liverpool talk about their investment motives, the merits of Kenny Dalglish and the players he signed – and that thorny stadium issue

In his apartment on the 11th floor of Boston's five-star Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Liverpool's principal owner, John W Henry, and chairman, Tom Werner, watched on Fox Soccer Network what could be Liverpool's most significant match of the season, last month's 4-0 demolition by Tottenham Hotspur. For Henry, Werner and their 17 partners in the Boston-based Fenway Sports Group, their takeover of Liverpool, exactly a year ago this Saturday when the team face Manchester United at Anfield, has been marked mostly by progress and feel-good optimism.

The club's £200m bank debt was paid off as Fenway's price of buying the club, Damien Comolli was appointed director of football, the Kop's king, Kenny Dalglish, made manager, £110.5m has been spent on new players. Above all, Henry and Werner are basking in their overwhelming quality, of not being Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Henry, naturally optimistic as a spectator – constantly believing his Boston Red Sox baseball team would turn games round throughout their record-breaking September collapse – anticipated a win, to launch Liverpool towards the cherished, lucrative, Premier League fourth place. What happened, however, was not in the prospectus: Liverpool froze, Luka Modric scored after five minutes, Charlie Adam was sent off for two bookings, Martin Skrtel followed him, Spurs were comprehensively superior.

Henry watched the Red Sox's 8-5 defeat to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays later that day with quiet but vocal despair and Werner would struggle to contain his angst. But tTheyHenry and Werner greeted the football hammering mostly in affronted silence. When Skrtel crashed into Gareth Bale for his second yellow card, with Bale on the halfway line facing his own goal posing no threat, there was no eruption of fury from Liverpool's owners at so needless a dismissal. Henry, joking, mused: "Well, we played a little better for a while with 10 men, maybe we'll play better with nine." Watching Liverpool crumple and the new, expensively-bought midfield of Adam, Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing outplayed, Henry and his party, all fans of baseball, a game charted by numbers, seemed to need some statistical handle on it. "How many yellow cards we got?" somebody asked. (Answer: at least four too many.) At the Red Sox baseball games, I had been similar; appreciating the skill and speed, recognising great athleticism and obvious bungles, but still grappling with the rules, so a lifetime short of understanding the sport's pattern and rhythm.

With Liverpool 3-0 down, Henry mused admiringly: "Boy, did you see how far [Andy Carroll] headed that ball?" He seemed to have a touch of Dalglish's propensity to query refereeing decisions, struggling to see why Adam's downward lunge on Parker merited a second yellow. I began to offer an appreciation of the officials' skill, pointing out how an assistant referee was exactly in line with the last defender, to judge the Spurs forward's position precisely when the ball was played – then I suddenly thought: I am watching a match with the owners of Liverpool Football Club, and I am coming perilously close to explaining the offside rule.

Told relentlessly about the Premier League's huge following internationally, and that soccer is breaking through in America, you can believe it – until you actually go there. In Boston, football barely breaks into consciousness. Widely played by schoolchildren, as a spectacle it is drowned out by the giants of American sport: baseball, American football and basketball. Henry believes Americans want regular decisive action, so struggle with a game which can deliver 0-0 draws. Manchester United's 3-1 defeat of Chelsea later that Sunday was the most watched Premier League match ever in the US – just 886,000 people tuned in live, 0.3% among a population of 307m.

Henry acknowledged that, a lifelong American sports fan aged 60, he knew "virtually nothing" of Liverpool or the Premier League before buying the club. That drilled home how extraordinary it is that American businessmen, from the singular huge country with its own sports, still largely oblivious to football, have bought five of English football's greatest clubs, Manchester United, Liverpool (twice), Arsenal, Aston Villa and Sunderland. These owners' collective contribution at the big three has not been positive: £473m drained out of United in interest, fees and bank charges by the Glazers' leveraged United takeover; Hicks and Gillett almost costing Liverpool its solvency; Stan Kroenke paying more than £300m to Arsenal's English shareholders but promising, as an article of faith, no investment in the club.

His interest sparked by an email from a Liverpool-supporting Fenway employee last August, Henry fixed a meeting to hear about the club with Philip Hall, of Inner Circle Sports, New York-based merchant bankers. Inner Circle previously acted for Hicks and Gillett when they bought Liverpool and became Fenway's financial advisers on their Liverpool acquisition. During that meeting, Werner did not pay too much attention, believing he and his quintessential American partners would not venture into English football.

But Henry, as he listened to the club's prospects, found it revelatory. "A number of parallels emerged with the situation that existed in Boston when we arrived," he explained. The Red Sox and Liverpool were both historically successful clubs which had lost their dominance, and both had beloved old grounds not up to modern money-making standards. Henry began to feel Fenway could apply the same strategies at Anfield as they had to winning effect in Boston, and also make an ambitious move into international sport.

There was more to it than just wanting to win. Central to Henry's and Fenway's fascination was English football's, and Liverpool's, huge worldwide support, compared to the US-restricted following for American sports. Several Fenway executives recounted, with awe, that the Super Bowl, American sport's most prestigious event, is watched by only around 20m viewers outside the US, whereas Liverpool's 3-1 defeat of Manchester United last season attracted an estimated 500m global audience.

Hall outlined how United, under the Glazers, have made money via international sponsorships, explaining that Liverpool have room similarly to profit. They found it very attractive that, as Hall explained, in the Premier League, individual clubs keep the money they make from such worldwide sponsorship. In baseball, the teams are franchises, their income is taxed by MLB and shared, to maintain reasonable competition between big city teams like the Red Sox, and smaller teams. Thus the underdog Rays were well-equipped enough this season to dramatically knock the Red Sox out of the World Series play-offs. Werner told the Guardian he resents the amount of money the Red Sox have to share with smaller teams.

Understanding how compelling Fenway found these individual financial arrangements, it is no surprise that Ian Ayre, whom Fenway appointed Liverpool's managing director, said this week they want to break out of the collective overseas TV deal, the only income football shares. Henry, asked if the American owners will ultimately want their clubs to do their own TV deals, as Real Madrid and Barcelona do, replied: "These people [the American owners] understand media and the long-term global implications. They're going to want to reach their fans in the new media landscape. The Premier League was created in response to changing media. Audiences will drive leagues rather than the other way round."

Hall's presentation included a comparison demonstrating that Liverpool, a big "EPL" club with a worldwide following, could be bought for better value than US sports teams, with their "limited global potential". Ed Weiss, Fenway's general counsel (in-house lawyer) who would help mastermind the bloody legal battle which Liverpool's three-man board won, selling the club to Fenway against Hicks' furious opposition, explained Liverpool's appeal: "So much internet clutter competes for mindshare now. Big sports clubs are one of the few things which can cut through and capture mindshare. We have one of the great baseball teams, but its ability is geographically limited. The Liverpool numbers blew us away. We believe there is a significant amount of monetisation we can do, on a worldwide basis, which is not occurring now."

Henry was extremely taken. Just six weeks later, after rapid due diligence and that bitter court battle, he emerged blinking in the media's spotlights outside his London lawyers' offices, having bought Liverpool. Fenway had been forced to increase their price to £200m, due to the higher bid from Singapore businessman Peter Lim. Weiss said before that, they had been planning to leave some debt in. The takeover undoubtedly put Liverpool immediately in a dramatically better position – undoing the previous US takeover's damage, so putting the club almost back to where it had been in February 2007, before any takeover at all.

Fenway, like the Glazers and Kroenke, do not intend to spend their own money freely on Liverpool. Henry is firmly attached to Uefa's financial fair play rules, which require clubs to move towards breaking even, rather than make huge losses bankrolled by indulgent owners such as Chelsea's Roman Abramovich or Manchester City's Sheikh Mansour. "We wouldn't have moved forward on Liverpool except for the passage of FFP," he said. He is worried Uefa will not enforce the rules strictly, so that clubs with investing owners will remain wealthier. Henry and David Ginsberg, the enthusiastic Fenway partner who spends most time in Liverpool – a week a month – say they have put some partnership money into Liverpool, "to help with cash flow", although they would not say how much. Certainly, they clarified, it had not come from the 19 Fenway partners putting more money in, but from the group's existing reserves.

Fenway's significant first move was to appoint Comolli, Tottenham's former director of football, into a similar position at Anfield, working with Roy Hodgson, the manager, who Fenway would replace with Dalglish in January. Henry confirmed there had been no wider recruitment process for this most plum of football jobs; Comolli was appointed following the recommendation of Billy Beane, former general manager of the Oakland Athletics baseball team, with whom Comolli had struck up a friendship. "Billy became passionate about the Premier League and he became my initial adviser about the football side of Liverpool," Henry recalled. "Billy was adamant – 'There is one person who you have to hire – Damien Comolli. He has the same philosophy Theo [Epstein, the Red Sox general manager], you and I share.'"

This was not, as some have simplified it, Comolli's use of player performance statistics, although Henry says Comolli is famous for that; all clubs use such data now, mostly the Prozone analysis. "What Billy meant is we are all dedicated to finding and using every advantage no matter how small," Henry said. "We don't rest. We'll look at stats no one else will look at, employ scouting in a way that has a compelling organisational context, question everything and everyone and ensure we have the best player development curriculum and protocols."

Dalglish, as Ayre enthused this week, was the key appointment which instantly lifted the Anfield mood, embodying for Liverpool fans the "spirit of Shankly" they felt Hicks' and Gillett's misrule drained out. "I wasn't convinced when we arrived that Kenny should be back managing," Henry reflected. "Both Kenny and Damien were calculated gambles. They both have the advantage of being passionate about their work and are both very clever. We didn't feel we had a lot of time to wait, and we hope things turned around."

They did, dramatically, even before the January transfer window in which Liverpool sold Fernando Torres to Chelsea for £50m, signed Luis Suárez for £22m – a high-quality arrival for which Dalglish has credited Comolli – then Carroll, for that £35m Dalglish still finds himself defending, quite impatiently, after every match. In the summer Liverpool spent again, £20m each for Downing and Henderson, £7.5m to Blackpool for Adam, £6m for left-back José Enrique which many believe to be the best deal. Because of Comolli's presence, many have inferred there must be some statistical shrewdness to these signings, but Henry himself said it is not so simple. "Everyone is fixated on Moneyball or sabermetrics [an approach to using baseball statistics, which the book documents]. But football is too dynamic to focus on that. Ultimately you have to rely on your scouting."

Many in football remain staggered that Liverpool, with new owners famed in the US for analytical rigour, paid Newcastle £35m for Carroll who had at the time played just 18 Premier League matches. Some believe that huge fee sent a signal that Liverpool were now flush, and raised the prices for Henderson and Downing, while Adam, a fine playmaker in Blackpool's energetic 4-3-3 last season, faces a challenge adapting in Liverpool's four-man midfield. Asked if Liverpool did overpay for Carroll and the other players, Henry suggested the new owners did, to reassure fans: "There was a lot of criticism in Boston that we weren't going to spend money on the Red Sox after we did the Liverpool transaction," Henry explained. "Then there was the fear we wouldn't spend in Liverpool. Hopefully the fans of both clubs will eventually see what we see clearly – that there is nothing to fear from the existence of the other club."

Asked about Carl Crawford, the expensive Red Sox signing who attracted most criticism for poor performances this season, Henry said Crawford had only "had a bad year". But he then acknowledged: "Choosing players in any sport is an imperfect science. We certainly have been guilty of overspending on some players and that can be tied to an analytical approach that hasn't worked well enough."

At White Hart Lane, the new signings were outclassed principally by Parker, who cost Spurs £5.5m. Liverpool recovered with a 2-1 victory over Wolves at Anfield in which the central midfield again did not dominate, against Karl Henry and Jamie O'Hara. Then against 10-man Everton in the Merseyside derby – Jack Rodwell, who was effectively cancelling out Adam, having been incorrectly sent off – it was still only after Adam and Downing went off (Henderson was not selected), and were replaced by Steven Gerrard and Craig Bellamy that Liverpool finally made their breakthrough, Carroll scoring his first goal of the season. A thorough assessment, of the players signed, Dalglish's return to management and his partnership with Comolli, which Henry said works "remarkably well," has a long way to go.

The same can be said of solving the Anfield stadium conundrum, the reason why the former majority shareholder, David Moores, and then chief executive Rick Parry, said they needed to sell Liverpool in the first place. They disastrously opted for Hicks and Gillett, who made no progress, but whose £174m purchase made Moores £90m personally for his shares. A year on since their takeover, Fenway are not a great deal closer than any Liverpool hierarchy has been in the near 15 years since Moores and Parry decided a new stadium on Stanley Park was the only option. They were terrified of United, slapping extra tiers up at Old Trafford, whose 76,000 capacity Ayre referred to this week.

Fenway arrived, though, saying they wanted to stay at Anfield, believing they could do at Liverpool's home what they did with Fenway Park, a stunningly high quality and shrewdly lucrative refurbishment. Henry is clear that building a new stadium, for perhaps 15,000 more seats than Anfield, at a price currently estimated at £300m, is an expense to be avoided if possible: "If you build a 70,000-seat stadium it will cost much more than double to build than a 35,000-seater. The higher the seat the more expensive it is to construct."

They have, though, been confounded, as their Anfield predecessors were, by the neighbourhood facts: Anfield is hemmed in by houses. Weiss, and Ginsberg, have now understood that expanding would mean Anfield requiring a larger footprint, which would mean acquiring dozens of houses and knocking them down. Not all residents, defiantly maintaining family life in a desperately run-down neighbourhood pockmarked by boarded-up terraces – some, historically, bought by Liverpool and left empty – will want to sell. There is also "right to light", preventing a bigger stadium shutting out its neighbours' light.

Fenway and Liverpool have spent a year "mapping" both alternatives, and are finding the uncertainties, of potentially being stalled at Anfield, great. They seem somehow surprised that English planning laws protect neighbouring residents so firmly; in America, Weiss believes "eminent domain" laws would be more favourable to a top-level sports team, which local authorities are usually desperate to satisfy. "Approvals are needed, and it is much more complicated," said Weiss. "If all the problems of redeveloping Anfield could be made to go away, we could have a different discussion. But we started out thinking we could refurbish, now we think maybe it will have to be done the other way. But at the moment we don't have a path to Stanley Park."

Fenway's multimillionaire partners do not intend to spend their own money building a stadium; they will borrow it and ticket prices will inevitably rise to pay for it. Hence the search, so far unfulfilled, for a naming rights partner, whose sponsorship they hope would pay a substantial chunk of the building costs. "I'd like to tell you how it will play out," said Weiss, "but I can't."

It was, therefore, baffling that Werner last week stated publicly they would not consider a shared stadium, an obvious potential solution, because, he said, fans would not stand for it. With Everton, a mile across the park, also wanting a new ground, the income from two clubs' matches and events, and any contribution Everton might make to the construction, could make the difference. Fenway have conducted no poll of fans, nor boldly set out any arguments for a shared stadium, but based this dismissal mostly on already-fixed opinions on fans websites.

The new American owners, who saved a great club from the last American owners, have unquestionably lifted Liverpool's mood, spent partnership money to ballast the club, appointed Dalglish and sanctioned huge spending on players. But a year on it remains difficult to see quite how Liverpool are better off than in February 2007, before any takeover. Then the club had little debt, was heading to another final of the Champions League which it won in 2005, but faced the same conundrum: how to finance a stadium.

Henry, a disarming money man, softly-spoken, viewing the world through thick spectacles and a lifelong love of baseball, still "rarely" visits Liverpool, given his commitment to the Red Sox. Fenway bridge the Atlantic, he said, by delegating, to Ayre, Dalglish and Comolli, the running of Liverpool, and Fenway do not "override football decisions". Henry knew "virtually nothing" about the world's most popular game before buying one of its greatest names, and he always said it would be a learning curve. He and his partners, dealing with the wreckage of a calamitous September collapse for the Boston Red Sox, must hope buying Liverpool does not turn out to be a curveball.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/oct/13/john-w-henry-liverpool-boston?CMP=twt_gu

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2011, 06:59:57 pm »
Good lord, how did we ever win a match this year with that terrible midfield we have? 

Sounds like we were lucky to even be in the match with Wolves and Everton, much less get 6 points.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:01:47 pm by MobileBayRed »
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2011, 07:03:05 pm »
Good lord, how did we ever win a match this year with that terrible midfield we have? 

Sounds like we were lucky to even be in the match with Wolves and Everton, much less get 6 points.

I wish they'd just put up the quotes instead of giving their opinion and saying things which are factually inaccurate.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2011, 07:10:39 pm »
Part 2 is really, really snidey. Paints Henry and Werner as two bumbling idiots who just bought the club on a whim. Getting digs in like "I find I'm explaining the offside rule to the owner of Liverpool Football Club", questioning why we don't want a shared stadium, having a go at Kenny, the usual tiresome jibes at Andy's price tag.

Expected better from Conn, who I usually think is a pretty good journalist.

Offline lurganboy

• Legacy Fan
  • Look! It's that bellend from 606!
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2011, 08:14:40 pm »
Thought that was a pretty good piece. Raised some decent concerns - they're businessmen, with no emotional connection to Liverpool, not even the Ambramovich playboy, anti-assassination motive to point to. They've spent money, they had to - to even remotely stand a chance of making the Champions League cash.

But we're still were we were in 2007. They may go on to prove themselves and make the difference - but until then I remain naturally sceptical of their motives.

Offline actwithoutwords

• postswithoutreading
  • Kopite
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2011, 08:37:18 pm »
That's very interesting. The discrediting of Torres and Meireles in the fans' eyes seems similar. I suspect both were forced to put in transfer requests.