Author Topic: Eurovision 2023 - Bienvenue a Liverpool!  (Read 22682 times)

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: Eurovision 2023 - Bienvenue a Liverpool!
« Reply #200 on: May 7, 2023, 04:09:25 pm »
Just had a great day at the Eurovision village in the sunshine. This city know how to put an event on and this is just the start.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: May 7, 2023, 05:16:27 pm »
Just had a great day at the Eurovision village in the sunshine. This city know how to put an event on and this is just the start.

Same here. It was sparkling in the warm sunshine. Great day out. Sounds like tomorrow will be a washout so very glad we went today.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #202 on: May 8, 2023, 10:10:38 am »
Why does everything have to be autotuned these days? Can't they get someone that can sing in tune?

It is the style at this time.

I agree that non-autotune - or at least subtle autotune, you can pitch correct without giving it a roboty effect - is nominally a better approach if only for the gain of being distinct from the other songs.

I suppose I could waffle on about how autotune is the misused "great equalizer" of our day. How those employing it see it as a gate lifted, rather than one placed upon the music.

It's easier and cheaper to fire up Melodyne and fit in with the existing formula of "a good mix" (there are college courses that teach this now and it's very formulaic) than find and coax a singer or songwriter who may not even be a decent vocalist to give the best takes I suppose is the most direct answer. Personally I find it a shame and it the variety of human voices being compromised is rarely the optimal choice for music as a whole, even if it does genuinely benefit one track here and there.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #203 on: May 8, 2023, 06:04:54 pm »
Fantastic time at St Georges Hall last night...Lime St Wetherspoons for a few bevvies then out into the glorious weather for the brilliant show, which inc some amazing visual effects. 25k in attendance, all having a great time.

Lightening Seeds performed just 2 songs, doing their longer set on the 10th at the Pier Head.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #204 on: May 9, 2023, 09:06:40 pm »
Hope it all goes well this week. Was gonna try go make it to one of the events (probably for Miles Kane). Semi finals looks like a bit of fun so far!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #205 on: May 9, 2023, 10:13:08 pm »
Ireland get knocked out again at the semis. Not having Ireland in the Eurovision Song Contest is a bit like having the Champions League without Real Madrid. Johnny Logan is basically our Alfredo di Stefano so we should automatically be in the final.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #206 on: May 9, 2023, 10:21:19 pm »
Ireland get knocked out again at the semis. Not having Ireland in the Eurovision Song Contest is a bit like having the Champions League without Real Madrid. Johnny Logan is basically our Alfredo di Stefano so we should automatically be in the final.

His winning songs also smell the same these days as di Stefano does... Wanted to make a joke about him being as dead as di Stefano, but a quick google search showed he's still alive, so I had to go with the worse joke...
Having said that, I thought the Irish song was the best of the bunch and would have thought they'd make it. Probably didn't because they put that weird golden glitter costume on a singer who shouldn't wear clothes like that...

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #207 on: May 9, 2023, 11:16:56 pm »
Went over today with Mrs P and started outside Lime Street station were the Lord Mayor and Steve Rotheram were welcoming visitors, then down to Chavasse Park and the Albert Dock.

It was all very well organised and even the weather was welcoming. A right mix of languages and some particularly way out outfits. Reminded both of us what we used to wear in the early 1970s.

Online John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: May 9, 2023, 11:48:01 pm »
Had a great few days so far, visited the Pier Head on Sunday for a few hours which was fun despite the miserable weather. Then headed over to Future Yard in Birkenhead to see The Coral as part of the United By Music gigs. Today was at the Cavern to see The Lightning Seeds. Hopefully make the most of Friday afternoon next and go in for the afternoon and evening.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2023, 01:02:39 pm »

Did Ireland win the majority of theirs back in the 50s too? If so none of them ones count, imo.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #210 on: May 10, 2023, 01:10:49 pm »
Did Ireland win the majority of theirs back in the 50s too? If so none of them ones count, imo.

Ireland’s Eurovision dominance came late 80s and early 90s. Since then it’s been barren. The mighty Jedward the only time they’ve been in the top 10 in the last 15 years apparently.

They’re more Milan than Real Madrid I’d say. Johnny Logan was their Arrigo Sacchi.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: May 10, 2023, 01:14:21 pm »
Serious question here.

Was there any truth in Father Ted's skit on Eurovision, where Ireland had to stop winning the comp as it was too costly to host it year after year?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #212 on: May 10, 2023, 05:21:25 pm »
Serious question here.

Was there any truth in Father Ted's skit on Eurovision, where Ireland had to stop winning the comp as it was too costly to host it year after year?

Well the opening ceremony cost the council £357,000 so far and the whole thing is expected to cost them £2m with the entire bill coming to approx £10m

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/how-much-eurovision-opening-ceremony-26886333

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: May 10, 2023, 05:22:12 pm »
Who is it this year bringing shame upon us yet again?

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #214 on: May 10, 2023, 07:35:25 pm »
Ireland’s Eurovision dominance came late 80s and early 90s. Since then it’s been barren. The mighty Jedward the only time they’ve been in the top 10 in the last 15 years apparently.

They’re more Milan than Real Madrid I’d say. Johnny Logan was their Arrigo Sacchi.
And just like Milan, we've made it to this year's semi finals  :P

We were always told that Johnny Logan was huge in Germany in the 80s. Thought it was bullshit myself until a few years back, was in Berlin before Christmas and the hotel bar was playing a J-Lo Christmas album.

Serious question here.

Yes, RTE were always complaining that they had to fork out extra production costs when we hosted it, and they used to threaten to put up the license fee.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 07:37:03 pm by Ray K »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: May 10, 2023, 10:21:47 pm »
Are Frankie Goes To Hollywood doing any more, seems a shame to reform just for one song. It was great to see them again regardless, always a huge part of my youth.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #216 on: May 10, 2023, 11:05:58 pm »
Fantastic night at the Pier Head..Miles Kane and The Lightning Seeds doing superb sets. The whole Eurovision Village is a great set up.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #217 on: May 10, 2023, 11:07:04 pm »
Are Frankie Goes To Hollywood doing any more, seems a shame to reform just for one song. It was great to see them again regardless, always a huge part of my youth.

Does seem odd, but looks that way, don't think they are scheduled to do a longer set.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #218 on: May 11, 2023, 06:46:08 am »
Serious question here.

The Guardian had an interview with Katrina of Waves fame the other day,  she said she saw Irish production staff in '97 talking about not being able to afford hosting again (she also wasn't expecting to win and was blind drunk by the time of the encore).

Glad to hear it's going well in the city, I'm on my hols and literally flying back when the final is on so haven't engaged as much this year, saw the favourites all got through the first Semi though.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: May 11, 2023, 02:55:15 pm »
 ;D 8)

Ragnar Klavan will be Estonia’s spokesperson to reveal the voting during Eurovision.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: May 11, 2023, 03:47:17 pm »
And just like Milan, we've made it to this year's semi finals  :P

We were always told that Johnny Logan was huge in Germany in the 80s. Thought it was bullshit myself until a few years back, was in Berlin before Christmas and the hotel bar was playing a J-Lo Christmas album.
Yes, RTE were always complaining that they had to fork out extra production costs when we hosted it, and they used to threaten to put up the license fee.

Surprised they didn't put a hit on Johnny Logan ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2023, 03:57:16 pm »

They aren't doing any more Eurovision stuff, and it is 99.9% likely that they'll never perform again as a group.

I think there's still some tension/animosity amongst some of the band, and they are all off doing their own thing/going back to their lives, plus Holly Johnson has just sold out solo concerts for later in the year.

I'm sure there will be offers to do it, but I just can't see it happening.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: May 11, 2023, 05:15:30 pm »
Holly is doing a solo gig at the Phil in October. Go on general sale tomorrow. Think I’ll pick up a couple.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: May 11, 2023, 10:16:03 pm »
Any decent song?
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: May 12, 2023, 09:01:53 am »
My arl fella has had a dabble on Poland at 150/1. Do they have a chance?

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: May 12, 2023, 09:06:42 am »
Looking like a belter of a day tomorrow weather wise. Perfect day for the city to shine.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: May 12, 2023, 09:08:56 am »
Went down to the Village last night for a wander. They really have done a good job in terms of organisation. All felt like a very friendly atmosphere. Had a very Liverpool 2008 vibe which was nice. Hopefully the city can develop a legacy off the back of it and thrive again

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: May 12, 2023, 10:14:32 am »
Holly is doing a solo gig at the Phil in October. Go on general sale tomorrow. Think I’ll pick up a couple.

Sold out in less than 5 mins. Luckily got in quick and got 3.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #228 on: May 13, 2023, 11:44:29 am »
A rendition of YNWA getting sung on stage tonight before the voting. That will seriously piss off a third of the region.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: May 13, 2023, 01:02:48 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rJHe-iZ5HSI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rJHe-iZ5HSI</a>

For those who do not know, the lyrics are play on finnish stereotypes (reserved, non-talkative, and shy of the physical contact) and after couple of pina coladas we are ready for the dance floor´ ;) 

Edit: by the way, the wooden pallets are called "Eurolava" in finnish and "lava" has two meanings pallet and dance floor.

Cha Cha Cha
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 01:06:41 pm by stara »
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #230 on: May 13, 2023, 01:33:56 pm »
What a brilliant week to showcase the best City in the World. This event normally takes a year to organise, we've done it in 6 months. Haha the actual Eurovision music is shit, wouldn't be the same if it wasn't, but all the other live bands and events have been fantastic.

Distant Tears

Liverpool Loves Ukraine

There's a Concert tonight not to be missed.
The famous Liver Birds are on the guest list!
Everywhere are the colours, yellow and blue.
To show Ukraine, we love and support you!.
The 3 Graces, make such a magnificent sight.
And their message, 'by music, let us all unite'
Liverpool knows how to party, that's for sure.
And everybody is made welcome at our door.
This event, we hold in the name of Ukraine.
At this and every event we remember their pain.
Through our celebrations, the joy and cheers
We still harbour thoughts of their distant tears.
As the confetti gently floats down from the sky.
The reason we are hosts, we remember why.

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #231 on: May 13, 2023, 01:53:34 pm »
For those who do not know, the lyrics are play on finnish stereotypes (reserved, non-talkative, and shy of the physical contact) and after couple of pina coladas we are ready for the dance floor´ ;) 

Edit: by the way, the wooden pallets are called "Eurolava" in finnish and "lava" has two meanings pallet and dance floor.

Cha Cha Cha

As a Finn, I resent the image of us drinking pina coladas, or other fancy stuff  ;D

Give us a beer or vissykossu and then we're cooking  ;)  (vissykossu is koskenkorva with spakling water, discusting)

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: May 13, 2023, 02:01:02 pm »
As a Finn, I resent the image of us drinking pina coladas, or other fancy stuff  ;D

Give us a beer or vissykossu and then we're cooking  ;)  (vissykossu is koskenkorva with spakling water, discusting)

True. My first "känni" was with Koskenkorva without mixer  ;D

Edit: Bitters wont be voting Finland  ;)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jfC18vVDofo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jfC18vVDofo</a>
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 02:23:01 pm by stara »
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2023, 03:06:13 pm »
Town is bouncing and absolutely fucking beautiful.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2023, 03:13:24 pm »
Town is bouncing and absolutely fucking beautiful.

It’s looked amazing whenever I’ve seen it on tv this week. Saw Gibbo from TAW on BBC Breakfast this morning too. Seems like it’s been a wall to wall party all week!

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: May 13, 2023, 03:24:21 pm »
What sums up the city beautifully is last weekend booing the National Anthem and this weekend welcoming everyone from afar, it's absolutely brilliant and encapsulates everything wrong with the country.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #236 on: May 13, 2023, 03:28:13 pm »
What sums up the city beautifully is last weekend booing the National Anthem and this weekend welcoming everyone from afar, it's absolutely brilliant and encapsulates everything wrong with the country.

Some thick people out there don't get that. This is what sets us apart, one fuckin unique City, we welcome friends with open arms, the rest can fuck right off.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: May 13, 2023, 03:35:11 pm »
This is the time to get the Matthew Street Festival back on the books.

Fucking great for the city

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #238 on: May 13, 2023, 03:42:20 pm »
This is the time to get the Matthew Street Festival back on the books.

Fucking great for the city

Literally everyone is out in town right now, from the scallies to the fabulous glittery people. It feels like the CL final but nicer.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: May 13, 2023, 04:05:16 pm »

Cha Cha Cha