Author Topic: Last Week Tonight With John Oliver  (Read 13916 times)

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
« on: October 21, 2014, 06:47:11 pm »
It's getting better and better every week and the content is also relatively fresh.

Each week it's providing us with material which are rarely news topics elsewhere but very important nonetheless.
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 06:55:37 pm »
It's getting better and better every week and the content is also relatively fresh.

Each week it's providing us with material which are rarely news topics elsewhere but very important nonetheless.

Great show. Loved Oliver since his time on Stewart's show and I really like what he's doing there. The format and the fact that it's a weekly show is also interesting, allowing him to go more in-depth on delicate issues, rather than doing news of the day bits like Stewart and Colbert. Definitely something different. It's pretty obvious at times that both Oliver and the show as a whole are still trying to find their feet, but the results have been beyond the rosiest expectations.

Oh, and he's also a massive red, which definitely helps.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 07:21:37 pm »
A very good advantage that he has for sure over others should be his wife, who was an Iraq War veteran. So no surprise about the content there especially the latest episode but boy do they not do their research thoroughly before tearing new ones for every major corporation that tries to fuck people and that is their USP IMO.

Well let's hope he invites Hodgson onto his show someday.  ;D

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 08:46:57 pm »
The Supreme Court with dogs this week is incredible stuff.  I watched the raw ten minute footage and now think it's a work of genius.

At a time when long-form journalism is on the decline, and everyone has the attention span of a gnat with ADHD, to start producing long 12-15 minute pieces on unsexy subjects like net neutrality, or asset forfeiture, and keep them funny, engaging and important is a remarkable achievement.
He's undoubtedly the breakout tv star of the year. And deservedly so.
Kudos to HBO for allowing those pieces to be posted on YouTube too - all here on   https://www.youtube.com/user/LastWeekTonight

If you haven't watched it, you're missing out.  Here's his take on FIFA during the World Cup

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DlJEt2KU33I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DlJEt2KU33I</a>
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:59:34 pm »
Essential viewing - and also serves as a decent quality introduction to many varied topics - warts and all - that you may not hear or read about in the mainstream media.

Well in to him and his team.

Loved the Drone, Miss America pageant, Food labelling, student debt, on Ferguson and Police militarisation, the wealth gap, prison, and corporations on twitter episodes especially.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 12:29:32 am »
And he's a Liverpool supporter.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 05:06:53 am »
His apprenticeship at The Daily Show obviously served him extremely well.

Jon Stewart will always be a hero of mine, but I think Oliver is taking the format to a new level by being that much more hard hitting. He's also not bogged down on keeping 24 hour news channels to account, which while always important and funny, can get a bit repetitive.

I worry a bit for The Daily Show. I know I've pretty much switched to Last Week Tonight since it's started.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 07:22:25 pm »
Matt Zoller Seitz's review of his first season on Vulture (edited)

John Oliver Is Outdoing The Daily Show and Colbert

I haven't watched an entire episode of The Daily Show or The Colbert Report in months. My disengagement coincided with the debut of Last Week Tonight With John Oliver, which ended its first season Sunday night. Oliver's show gives me the same giddy charge that really great segments of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report once did. If you're a fan of those Comedy Central time-slot-mates, you share their embedded video segments not just because they're repeating your favorite bits of received political wisdom (which is a huge part of their appeal), but because there's a high level of craft happening from one minute to the next: clever writing, acting, editing, and graphics. But there's a big difference between those shows and Last Week: When I watch John Oliver, I feel as if some sort of progress is being made.

Oliver's brand of journalism (which is, of course, couched as cheerful Sunday-night entertainment) often has an actual, demonstrable impact on public consciousness, as when his segment on net neutrality caused untold numbers of people to crash a government server. At the very least, he's become a model for so-called straight journalists, particularly of the TV-news variety. We're told over and over that people won't sit still for news segments longer than about a minute, yet Oliver's showpiece explainers often run five, seven, even ten minutes without a break. Granted, they're not above using singing puppets to explain the prison-industrial complex, but hey, a spoonful of sugar.

Oliver's show threw a wrench into that possible outcome by taking core bits that once were the sole province of The Daily Show (the punny/smart-assed headlines, the "gotcha" deconstructions of political chicanery, the "Does this person I am interviewing know I am putting them on?" segments, the occasionally surreal imagery) and putting them at the service of education. I've watched every installment of Last Week since its debut. Every time, I've come away feeling that I've truly learned something. In an increasingly degraded journalistic landscape, that's an astonishing achievement.

full piece here

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 07:48:37 pm »
I wish we had something over here as good as this and The Daily Show/Colbert. 

10 O'clock Live is the closest(but also nowhere near as good) we've had recently and that's finished now.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 08:04:38 pm »
I wish we had something over here as good as this and The Daily Show/Colbert. 

10 O'clock Live is the closest(but also nowhere near as good) we've had recently and that's finished now.

Well there is Screenwipe as well. But its only on once a year for a few weeks.

I don't know why one of the channels hasn't tried to do it. Its not a difficult format, it only has to be 20 minutes long and doesn't even have to be spot on up to date with the stories it covers. The Daily Show often features items from later dates, Oliver expands it even more. It doesn't even have to be daily, once a week, like Olivers show would be good enough. 10pm on a sunday would be a good timeslot.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 08:34:13 pm »
Really enjoy Oliver's pieces. Don't get HBO, but I make a point to watch the uploaded videos on Youtube.

My ex was involved in the Miss America pageant crap, and it was the straw that broke the camel's back in our relationship because it was awful to be a part of (for me).

Needless to say, Oliver summed up my thoughts on it in his piece back in September much more eloquently than I did at the time.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline SJL

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 08:38:05 pm »
Well there is Screenwipe as well. But its only on once a year for a few weeks.

I don't know why one of the channels hasn't tried to do it. Its not a difficult format, it only has to be 20 minutes long and doesn't even have to be spot on up to date with the stories it covers. The Daily Show often features items from later dates, Oliver expands it even more. It doesn't even have to be daily, once a week, like Olivers show would be good enough. 10pm on a sunday would be a good timeslot.

It has been done before, albeit very briefly.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Late_Edition  Remember watching it before I regularly watched the Daily Show, the formats were very similar.

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 08:44:18 pm »
Its so good, the writing is excellent. And they really did themselves a favor limiting the scope of the show to once a week and for less of the year than Colbert/Stewart, it allows them to allot the amount of time needed to delve deeper into stories which generally unearths even more gold.

Colbert Report is amazing for its consistency of reaching high standards, and I've always been impressed at how they could manage to be so good so often, but after hearing Colbert talk about what goes into the process I have even more respect for the work ethics and intellects of everyone involved. It was a Slate podcast called Working; if you search "slate Stephen Colbert working" you should be able to find it, and it is 100% worth a listen if you are a fan.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 08:47:26 pm »
Really enjoy Oliver's pieces. Don't get HBO, but I make a point to watch the uploaded videos on Youtube.

My ex was involved in the Miss America pageant crap, and it was the straw that broke the camel's back in our relationship because it was awful to be a part of (for me).

Needless to say, Oliver summed up my thoughts on it in his piece back in September much more eloquently than I did at the time.
She was a beauty queen?
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 08:51:23 pm »
There's a touch of that's life about what he does....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 09:20:28 pm »
It's  really  enjoyable. Needs  to  say " fuck " more ;)

My favourite was the Scottish Unicorn, damn those Turkeys who voted for Christmas, that would be a fine national animal to flaunt at you lesser nations!
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 09:51:55 pm »
She was a beauty queen?

She was Miss Insert City Name Here and was a semifinalist or something in Miss Texas back to back years. Never was even brought up the first year we dated and then out of left field she wanted to do it. I put up with it for a while but it was horrifyingly awful, fake, judgmental, shallow, blah blah blah. Broke up with her and I'm much happier now with someone else who doesn't feel the need to be told by people who have no flipping idea who she is whether she's 'beautiful enough' or not. Sorry for the mini-rant. I could go on for a while. Can you tell I hated that shit?

Anyway, back to the badassery that is John Oliver...That pageant video was on point along with most of his other stuff.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:53:39 pm by Lone Star Red »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 12:17:05 pm »
Actually, saying no one here is doing something similar, Russell Howard's show is in a similar vein and he is doing good stuff. Which is no surprise, as Oliver is his mate and something of a mentor to him, they were roommates when Howard was first getting into stand up. Both of them are reds as well, so thats another feather.

She was Miss Insert City Name Here and was a semifinalist or something in Miss Texas back to back years. Never was even brought up the first year we dated and then out of left field she wanted to do it. I put up with it for a while but it was horrifyingly awful, fake, judgmental, shallow, blah blah blah. Broke up with her and I'm much happier now with someone else who doesn't feel the need to be told by people who have no flipping idea who she is whether she's 'beautiful enough' or not. Sorry for the mini-rant. I could go on for a while. Can you tell I hated that shit?

Anyway, back to the badassery that is John Oliver...That pageant video was on point along with most of his other stuff.
Ah well, I was just going to make dirty jokes. Never mind :P

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 11:39:14 am »
John Oliver's been signed up by HBO for two more years, 2016 and 2017, with 35 episodes per year.
So he's definitely off the Daily Show shortlist.

Continuing to kill it on his show, pissing off Philip Morris tobacco this week, leaving them whining like a bunch of bitches.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6UsHHOCH4q8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6UsHHOCH4q8</a>

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 01:54:48 pm »
Comedy Channel must be kicking themselves they couldn't keep him around just a bit longer and be the obvious successor. He is indeed killing it at HBO.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 11:49:17 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2sWRXr2Yu9g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2sWRXr2Yu9g</a>

Back to form  ;D

Offline Sir Afghan

• "I, Stan!" Has the softest beard.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 11:52:46 am »
I only really know this fella from community but I've got an inexplicable desire to punch him in the face. I think it's because of his ridiculous accent.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 01:07:50 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CesHr99ezWE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CesHr99ezWE</a>

Another decent episode this.

Wonder how many such territories are present around the world who have to fight for their rights from their parent countries.

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 07:31:05 pm »
I only really know this fella from community but I've got an inexplicable desire to punch him in the face. I think it's because of his ridiculous accent.

Eh, John Oliver's a Liverpudlian settled in the US.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 07:35:49 pm »
Eh, John Oliver's a Liverpudlian settled in the US.

Brummie actually but a Liverpool fan.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 11:34:51 pm »
Wonder how many such territories are present around the world who have to fight for their rights from their parent countries.

I thought the same thing.

Actually I'm surprised the Democrats don't care more about this. Surely there are some pretty handy electoral college votes in those territories.

Otherwise I think it's been a relatively slow last couple of episodes. The tobacco takedown was one of the very best though. I hope it'll return to that quality soon.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 02:39:24 am »
I thought the same thing.

Actually I'm surprised the Democrats don't care more about this. Surely there are some pretty handy electoral college votes in those territories.

Otherwise I think it's been a relatively slow last couple of episodes. The tobacco takedown was one of the very best though. I hope it'll return to that quality soon.

I think as long they can recruit the people in the army (that's the main thing) they don't really care about the rest of the right that are need to be given really.

Yeah your right though about the quality of the show, it hasn't been anywhere near the 1st season but I guess the 1st season was just too good than most of the other shows of that kind. I guess they will improve with time. I'd blame it on the lack of action in the world maybe.  ;)

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2015, 12:36:46 pm »
Best show around, even beats Jimmy Fallon's show for me, although you can't compare those two I guess.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 02:33:37 am »
Another decent episode, without being anything really special.

I wonder if this issue with fines exists in other developed countries as well. I'm sure the private probation agencies aren't around in Australia, but the escalating fines exist. They're probably not quite as punishing though.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 6, 2015, 05:34:42 pm »
Anyone seen last night's ep? How the fuck have they managed to swing that interview? Amazing stuff.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #30 on: April 6, 2015, 06:08:37 pm »
Anyone seen last night's ep? How the fuck have they managed to swing that interview? Amazing stuff.

Exactly.. I just saw that now and was completely surprised to see that interview. It really put things into perspective that interview.

Kudos the whole team..

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #31 on: April 6, 2015, 06:36:01 pm »
Here it is for those who don't have HBO/Sky, the piece on surveillance with an interview with Edward Snowden

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/XEVlyP4_11M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/XEVlyP4_11M</a>

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #32 on: April 6, 2015, 06:39:26 pm »
For those unable to see the above video (so anyone outside the US)

You can install Hola internet extension for Chrome http://hola.org/ and select US so you can view.
:D

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #33 on: April 6, 2015, 07:10:13 pm »
The interview with Snowden is fucking amazing. :lmao Very clever too.

Some odd reaction to this interview on the web and press, seems many didn't get it. Even the likes of The Guardian, deary me. Apparently he was making Snowden squirm and was being two faced in the interview?

Do people not watch this show? Are people outright thick?
« Last Edit: April 6, 2015, 07:17:52 pm by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #34 on: April 7, 2015, 12:11:14 am »

Do people not watch this show? Are people outright thick?

My sentiments exactly but it's not like most of the media don't know how Last Week Tonight works but they have to act dumb to attract the dumb people to create an agenda (If any).

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 7, 2015, 06:02:59 am »
While Oliver brilliantly dumbed it down for the masses to understand Snowden's explanations, by acting like a rude and obnoxious buffoon and interrupting him all the time, I thought that interview portrayed Snowden very well and he came out of it as humble, smart, patient and polite guy with an obvious desire to fight the status quo. While Snowden's methods may be questionable, his motives are good and I reckon Oliver admires that he is at least trying to change the world for the better.

Good job from both in my opinion. 
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline wheresnemeth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 7, 2015, 07:14:37 am »
While Oliver brilliantly dumbed it down for the masses to understand Snowden's explanations, by acting like a rude and obnoxious buffoon and interrupting him all the time, I thought that interview portrayed Snowden very well and he came out of it as humble, smart, patient and polite guy with an obvious desire to fight the status quo. While Snowden's methods may be questionable, his motives are good and I reckon Oliver admires that he is at least trying to change the world for the better.

Good job from both in my opinion.

I initially thought that Oliver was fucking up the interview but the way he eventually got Snowden to explain everything in terms that the average buffoon could understand was brilliant.
making a c*nting mess of a list, like c*nts on a bike trying to win the Tour de France...

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #37 on: April 7, 2015, 08:19:15 pm »
John Oliver supercut ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6wWmIcKtVI0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6wWmIcKtVI0</a>

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #38 on: April 9, 2015, 04:34:32 pm »
John and Ed Snowden discuss password security

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yzGzB-yYKcc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yzGzB-yYKcc</a>

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 07:11:55 pm »
For anyone who watched last weeks  ;D

http://gchq.careers/?job=dick-pic-sheriff