Author Topic: Comolli and Bruckner leave by mutual consent  (Read 342739 times)

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
Re: Comolli and Bruckner leave by mutual consent
« Reply #3000 on: April 13, 2012, 02:45:26 am »
That's the thing though we had built the foundations to follow this model. Rafa had a blueprint, an ideology, a vision for the future.

I know what we lost when Rafa went. The question is do the owners have the balls, manager, resources and patience to get back to this idea? I don't think they do, I hope they do, but they're not football people. They didn't grow up watching Cryuff and co completely change the game. They don't have that intimate knowledge only gained by watching and being involved with football your entire life, to separate the wheat from the chaff. They don't have that history to know who to listen to, and to stick to their guns about it, and I don't think they're romantic enough either, which you need to be.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3001 on: April 13, 2012, 02:49:03 am »
When did Borell & Segura leave Barcelona? Any fallout with Begiristain? Or with Cruyff?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3002 on: April 13, 2012, 02:50:42 am »
I've no idea how it would work out to be honest.

Can anyone tell me why we need one?

Our greatest achievements were overseen by fantastic managers, players and fans with the backing of the board, why the necessity for a DOF?

Because times have changed.  Too often we have been hamstrung by our reluctance to move on with the times while remembering the most important lessons of the past which I believe was our ability to stay ahead of the curve.  While other teams were playing with a big man and a small man up front and hoofed the ball up, we played pass and move football and I guess its because our managers were not just managers but fantastic visionaries.  I think the important thing to take from our past is that we were never second on the scene.  We set the scene instead !  And that is why we won as much as we did.  Because we stayed ahead of the curve.  And I think that is what FSG want us to do again. All my opinion of course.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Filter

• Main Stander
« Reply #3003 on: April 13, 2012, 02:51:45 am »
Yeah, i liked him when he covered for preki there after preki got fired.. Seemed a stand up guy, never ripped anyone when he surely could have.
Would be weird, as Winter is actually a known supporter of Cruijff. Was member of a board where he voted for him too.

I think it's probably more from Bob de Klerk. And that wouldn't surprise me. Cruijff came into the club to restructure the club, and he's ruthless. Klerk was part of Ajax's youth academy for 9 years during a time that's been considered to have been a bad time as far as youth development at Ajax goes, hence the restructuring. Many of Klerk's collegues have had to make way probably. Cruijff thinks people like Bob de Klerk have little worth for Ajax compared to someone like Bergkamp. Klerk has never played at Ajax, and has never been a top player. Cruijff very much rates youth coaches who can teach individual players technical skill. Cruijff's youth development focusses very much on the individual players.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3004 on: April 13, 2012, 02:52:44 am »
He also wanted them to sign Wenger and others if we go by that book. I can only say to the latter part of your response that Cruyff was always close to Guardiola so you don't know this..
I guess there is a difference between putting a list of candidates and having a favorite out of them which is clearly the case here, or negotiating with the other coaches for the sake of it, Txiki had always favored, he put the others on the list in case of a fallback option if Laporta objected to the signing of Pep.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3005 on: April 13, 2012, 02:56:47 am »
Reading those pages made it even more obvious that Cruyff was the one that was behind Guardiola being appointed considering he's the one Laporta turns to for advice and Txiki just followed.

Eh? No it doesn't. It makes it look like Txiki was the one who spotted Guardiola's talent and recommended him but that Laporta still wanted Cruyff to guide him. Cruyff's reaction was basically, "I don't want to be a full time coach again, Guardiola will be fine without me."
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline stanleylhs

• Anny Roader
  • Oh Sami Sami!
« Reply #3006 on: April 13, 2012, 03:04:00 am »
Regarding Van Gaal, who you said is our best bet, you seem to forget that he hasn't got a good track record as a DOF, he always collided with lots of people in the dressing room, has bad publicity regarding him and it won't surprise me if he forces himself into the job at sometime in the future. He's not someone you want to work with quite frankly and despite him being an excellent manager, I wouldn't want him near the Anfield dugout for his character if nothing else.
This. How he handled Rivaldo in Barca is a disgrace, Rivaldo was their best player and van Gaal managed to piss him enough to say as long as there is van Gaal, Rivaldo won't be here.

Considering how many times Rivaldo saved Barca's ass back in those time, we can't afford any chance of van Gaal pissing off one of Suarez Agger Pepe Lucas etc...

Offline frosty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3007 on: April 13, 2012, 03:20:18 am »
Why sack the sports scientists?

Offline Redd Foxx

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • It's the big one!
    • Herzog & Young - San Diego Attorneys
« Reply #3008 on: April 13, 2012, 03:23:43 am »
I'm wondering why Buckner was sacked

Because he let the ball go through his legs in the '86 World Series...but that's beside the point.
Son, if you don't shut your lip, you're gonna feel my shoe size.

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cruyff for DOF anyone?
« Reply #3009 on: April 13, 2012, 03:28:23 am »
Not for me.

I'm a big fan of DoF's, but they fall into different categories. I think we need a Sporting Director. My perception may be way off here, but my perception of Cruyff is that his role is more a "Guardian of the philosophy" type role (to really make it sound dramatic), and that's fine. That's great really, because to Barcelona and Ajax he is a legend, arguably their best player and one of their best managers. If anyone knows what made those clubs successful in the past then it's Johan Cruyff.

He has no connection to Liverpool though. There's one living man that embodies all that Cruyff does for Ajax and Barcelona for Liverpool, and he's already the manager at the club. If you want the Director of Football to be that - if you want a figurehead, the personification of a clubs philosophy and identity then you can only choose Kenny Dalglish, and he's the current manager.

Cruyff doesn't do any of the football administration side, or the scouting I don't think. He'd be there to be guardian of a philosophy at a club where he has no connection.

By all means get a DoF, but get one who is essentially a Sporting Director, who has the same brief as Comolli had. Cruyff would seem as far removed from Comolli as you could imagine whilst having the same job title.
That's a good point. However in my opinion I don't think we need a sporting director. Negotiating transfers should be the manager's job. Even with Comolli here we get confused who actually handles transfers. In England it is traditional to have a manager who handles all transfers after all.

I do like the idea of having a spiritual figurehead as a DoF though. A guardian of philosophy as you say. Someone who oversees our football strategy, with emphasis on youth development. I think that's the right way to go. We need someone to make sure there is a coherent system throughout the ranks at the club. And Kenny would be the ideal candidate for that job. I think the manager should be the one who identifies players, coach them, and apply tactics. And right now it seems kenny is doing more of the job of a DoF imo. In any case, it's better to have clear roles rather than a vague 'we all work together'.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3010 on: April 13, 2012, 03:34:58 am »

credit to royhendo

This is very interesting - Begisristan sounds very suitable for the job then, certainly far more than Cruyff and Van Gaal who would inevitably clash with Dalglish. It is important that the director of football is not himself a former top coach because the shadow that he wll cast over the manager will cause too many difficulties and top coaches usually have monumental egos and so the DOF and manager will clash. Comolli had ingratiated himself with Dallgish and appeared to be eager not to but heads with him, and that kind of stay in the background attitude while retaining the keen eye for details and experience and football nous which Comolli may have lacked, is what we need.

Butr the question is - why would Begrisitan come to Liverpiool FC since he is a Barcelona card carrying member and former player and he is already DOF of the best football club in the world? One hopes that he would be looking for a new challenge because that is the only draw I would think that Liverpool could offer him (other than a big hike in salary).

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #3011 on: April 13, 2012, 03:35:36 am »
So,is there a possibility that we get one of the 3 for DOF,Dein for CEO,and shift Ayre to the commercial side?

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #3012 on: April 13, 2012, 03:36:42 am »
That's a good point. However in my opinion I don't think we need a sporting director. Negotiating transfers should be the manager's job. Even with Comolli here we get confused who actually handles transfers. In England it is traditional to have a manager who handles all transfers after all.

Why does this matter?  Is England some kind of special snowflake that a DOF won't work?   

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3013 on: April 13, 2012, 03:38:31 am »
This is very interesting - Begisristan sounds very suitable for the job then, certainly far more than Cruyff and Van Gaal who would inevitably clash with Dalglish. It is important that the director of football is not himself a former top coach because the shadow that he wll cast over the manager will cause too many difficulties and top coaches usually have monumental egos and so the DOF and manager will clash. Comolli had ingratiated himself with Dallgish and appeared to be eager not to but heads with him, and that kind of stay in the background attitude while retaining the keen eye for details and experience and football nous which Comolli may have lacked, is what we need.

Butr the question is - why would Begrisitan come to Liverpiool FC since he is a Barcelona card carrying member and former player and he is already DOF of the best football club in the world? One hopes that he would be looking for a new challenge because that is the only draw I would think that Liverpool could offer him (other than a big hike in salary).

You do know that he left Barca two years ago, right?  I don't know what he's doing now; if I recall he was going to work with the Basque national team (or maybe the Catalans?) or something like that.  I'm sure it's not exactly his dream job.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Filter

• Main Stander
« Reply #3014 on: April 13, 2012, 03:39:31 am »
All the talk is of Van Gaal and Cruyf and the Barca DoF, but from my status as a casual observer, there should be a few German DoFs to look at, they appear to be well-run football clubs, and their collective success has moved them up in the UEFA coefficients

That's true. Although you could say that's because they're very succesful on a commercial level, and because of the efforts of their FA.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 03:41:33 am by Filter »

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3015 on: April 13, 2012, 03:40:58 am »
You do know that he left Barca two years ago, right?  I don't know what he's doing now; if I recall he was going to work with the Basque national team (or maybe the Catalans?) or something like that.  I'm sure it's not exactly his dream job.

I didn't know that he had left actually. If that is the case, he should be the perfect DOF for the club's needs. Cruyff would be a disaster by comparison based on his personality alone.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #3016 on: April 13, 2012, 03:41:02 am »

Txiki would be fucking amazing.Out of the world simply.And yes,Cryuff or Van Gaal would deffo pose some problems in terms of clashing with Kenny.

Offline frosty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3017 on: April 13, 2012, 03:42:29 am »
Why is there no explanation why Bruckner was sacked

Offline seal75

• Kopite
« Reply #3018 on: April 13, 2012, 03:42:51 am »
Is he still watching Lille Toulouse? No wonder he got the ass. ;D
Lol this match is still being played in some space-time continuum somewhere in one universe
"Ni pour, ni contre. Bien au contraire!", Coluche.

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #3019 on: April 13, 2012, 03:46:30 am »
What about whoever runs Porto's setup?  They always get in good prospects then sell them on for insane profits.  There should be more to look at than just Ajax and Barcelona

They have market advantages you won't get here.  Two big ones are 1) ease at which players qualify for work permits / Brazil passport connection 2) willingness to get involved in some 3rd party ownership deals with South American players

Offline opsteo

• Kopite
« Reply #3020 on: April 13, 2012, 03:48:51 am »
After all Liverpool did not lose a lot of money...
The reds sold Torres for $50 millions (too much money for him, imo) and spent $35 millions for Carrol.
Liverpool spent $40 millions for Downing and Henderson, plus seven millions in Adam.
Well...up to here Liverpool spent $62 millions
But Liverpool bought Luis Suarez for $23.5 millions when his price should have been around $35 millions,imo... and also bought Coates for seven millions when his real price should have been around $20 millions(that is the amount paid for Downing and also for Henderson).
So...

Not a good way to look at just at net cash outlay or just the wages.  Our players combined may be valued at $250mil at the start of the deal and 6 months after the deal, if our player's value is now worth $190mil, if we lost $60mil along the way, despite the low cash outlay, our team is now much worth off.

So Downing may be only worth say $10mil now, Carroll say $18mil and Henderson $8 Mil, while Suarez is worth $35mil. Worst is that if we cannot sell Downing/Adam(because of high wage and loss of form), both will sit in our books until they are worth $0.  I sincerely hope that Downing, Carroll, Henderson/Adam come good because the effect of digesting these buys would impact on us for the next 3-4 years. 

What I appreciate about Rafa, he was slowly building up our team total players' value when he was allowed to invest. 

About the need for DOF, while as fans we see no need for it, FSG does not know enough about football to let the Manager decide everything so they need a Dir of Football to guide FSG  (as alternative voice) to control costs.  Since Comolli has not delivered with value for money buys and carry out effective cost-control - he has to go.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:06:39 am by opsteo »

Offline Filter

• Main Stander
« Reply #3021 on: April 13, 2012, 03:58:04 am »
Txiki would be fucking amazing.Out of the world simply.And yes,Cryuff or Van Gaal would deffo pose some problems in terms of clashing with Kenny.

Cruijff? Not at all! ;)

Back in 1980 Cruijff returned to Ajax to get fit, and ended up temporarily taking on the role of technical advisor. On 30 november 1980 he was sitting in the stadium watching Ajax-Twente, Ajax were losing, 1-3. Cruijff had enough, so he walked down the stands, through the gates and onto the field and sat down on the bench next to the manager, Leo  Beenhakker, to advise him. They ended up winning 5-3. ???
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:00:41 am by Filter »

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3022 on: April 13, 2012, 03:59:55 am »
I know I'm just speculating, but I wonder how Newcastle's success this season, and their scouting of players from the French league at relatively low cost, performing excellently and taking them to the verge of Champions League qualification, contributed to Commoli's dismissal. Doubly so because as a Frenchman he might have been expected to have scouted or brought those kinds of players here. Speculation I know but it did cross my mind before today how Newcastle's form this season and player acquisitions would look to FSG and their appraisal of Commoli's work.

I would think that must have been a big factor in their dissatisfaction with Comolli. I wonder if Comolli is rather much more talk and appearances than substance - when Spurs sacked him, they were quite uncomplimentayr about his actual contributions. All his stat focus may mask a lack of the kind of footballing experience and good judgment that is necessary for a DOF to have before he can successfully identify consistently the right players to fit into the right system. I think the DOF has to actually set the overall system that the club should play and that footballing system or culture will then reveal the kind of players he needs to look for. That way the DOF can create the continuity regardless of who is the manager. Hoewver in Comolli's case, he was probabyl unable to provide that input and so he was subject to the changing football systems and philosophies of whoever came in as manager. Without the wider vision and contxt of the system that prevails, stats may show a deceptive picture and that is probably what happened iwth the players that he and Dalglish signed.

If we had a DOF who has the wider culture of what is to be implemented on a long term basis, then the manager has to conform to that culture and syustem and in fact as the article that the other poster put up in this thread shows, the DOF of Barcelona was instruimental in recojmmending Guardiola as manager because he exemplfied the systme and culture that the DOF knew was at the core of Barcelona.

Having said all that, who best therefore to impose the right footballing culture and system,t hant he DOF who did that with Barcelona? I think Begiristain i a shoo-in for the position  based ont hat alone regardless of Moneyball, and the record of signings under Begiristain would seem to indicate that whatever he was doing then, worked very well indeed.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #3023 on: April 13, 2012, 04:05:29 am »

That's an awful lot of responsibility for one man and I couldn't care less about whether our supporters are confused about who handles our transfers. I'm sure everyone inside the club knows the hierarchy and that's all that matters. Since when do we do something because the rest of the country does? We're Liverpool Football Club and we should be the club leading the way, not following others.

None of this is to say that we need a DoF, but I hate this idea that because nobody else in England does it neither should we. The rest of the country reads the s*n, but we stand by our principles and our own. It should be the same with every single aspect of the football club; we do what is right for LFC regardless of what every other club in the country does or doesn't do.

Personally, I think a DoF is a completely natural and sensible role to have within a football club. It's just far too much responsibility for one man to be in charge of tactics, team selection, training sessions, man management, player recruitment, scouting, transfer negotiations, contract negotiations, and more. Just listing all of those responsibilities it sounds more like a job for three people rather than just one. It's obviously paramount that the DoF and Manager can work together, but so it is with the Manager and his backroom staff, Academy staff, medical staff, etc., so I don't think that is as big a hurdle as some make it out to be.
Justice For The 96

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3024 on: April 13, 2012, 04:20:49 am »
That's an awful lot of responsibility for one man and I couldn't care less about whether our supporters are confused about who handles our transfers. I'm sure everyone inside the club knows the hierarchy and that's all that matters. Since when do we do something because the rest of the country does? We're Liverpool Football Club and we should be the club leading the way, not following others.

None of this is to say that we need a DoF, but I hate this idea that because nobody else in England does it neither should we. The rest of the country reads the s*n, but we stand by our principles and our own. It should be the same with every single aspect of the football club; we do what is right for LFC regardless of what every other club in the country does or doesn't do.

Personally, I think a DoF is a completely natural and sensible role to have within a football club. It's just far too much responsibility for one man to be in charge of tactics, team selection, training sessions, man management, player recruitment, scouting, transfer negotiations, contract negotiations, and more. Just listing all of those responsibilities it sounds more like a job for three people rather than just one. It's obviously paramount that the DoF and Manager can work together, but so it is with the Manager and his backroom staff, Academy staff, medical staff, etc., so I don't think that is as big a hurdle as some make it out to be.
I'm not saying we should be like everyone else, but football culture is a factor nonetheless.

Well it is a lot of work. But I don't think it's impossible. I mean, you have many managers in Europe saying how much they would love to manage in England with all that power, so it can't be that bad. ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:51:24 am by eirwen »

Offline Filter

• Main Stander
« Reply #3025 on: April 13, 2012, 04:34:37 am »
I'm not saying we should be like everyone else, but football culture is a factor nonetheless.

Well it is a lot of work. But I don't think it's impossible. I mean, you have many managers in Europe saying how much they would love to manage in Europe with all that power, so it can't be that bad. ;)

I would like alot of things too, doesn't say I'm good at it.

Usually the margin of error is smaller when you have a few knowledgable people deciding than just one.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3026 on: April 13, 2012, 04:45:48 am »
Off here with work for a bit, and this happens. Typical.

It wasn't Comolli alone who screwed up, and Kenny has clearly stated his role in our transfers, again. Don't think it's a strong nor necessary decision at this point in time. If indeed you deemed it unsuccessful, this early in the reign of both the dof and manager, then both should go. The main exception to that would be the DOF purchasing players the manager didn't want, but that's clearly not the case here.

Makes me think this came about from a specific incident / meeting rather than their overall review of the season.

Never saw the need for a DOF - some of us were questioning the manner and speed of his appointment in contrast to their other decisions a few weeks after he was appointed. Once you have decided on a model though, you have to give it time and follow it through. They haven't done that. Comolli has reason to feel hard done by, especially as he's worked as part of a team with the manager and other scouts.

Offline Aquilani 4

• The Human News Aggregator.
  • Kopite
« Reply #3027 on: April 13, 2012, 04:58:30 am »
Why is there no explanation why Bruckner was sacked

By Tony Barrett

FSG also reached an agreement with Dr Peter Brukner that will see Liverpool’s head of sports medicine and sports science leave the club at the end of the season. His position is expected to be filled by Darren Burgess, the head of fitness and conditioning. The imminent departure of Brukner comes as no surprise as the Australian did not see eye to eye with Dalglish and his influence had waned as a result.

By Dominic King

But Comolli was not the only one. On Thursday morning, Dr Peter Brukner, the Australian who was brought in during the summer of 2010 as the club’s head of sports science and sports medicine to revolutionise that department, was also dispensed with.

When he arrived at the club, Brukner used to sit on the bench next to former manager Roy Hodgson but that privilege quickly disappeared after Kenny Dalglish returned and his methods were viewed with scepticism in certain quarters.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2129020/John-W-Henry-shows-brutal-side.html#ixzz1rt9uZlta

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3028 on: April 13, 2012, 05:04:43 am »

thanks mate, great research

bit sad that to be honest :(

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #3029 on: April 13, 2012, 05:19:32 am »
Really taken aback by this news to be honest.

I think it's FSG's way of firing a warning signal to Dalglish, Clarke and co. Basically, things need to improve. Only, they could hardly sack Kenny two days before the F.a cup semi. Personally I think they are saying privately, we got it wrong with Comolli, and we got it wrong with Dalglish. Maybe I'm wrong like, maybe they do have 'full confidence' in Kenny and maybe he does enjoy their 'full support. I just don't think so. Whether we like it or not, his statement on Kenny was 100% necessary. If he had refused to comment or showed in any way some doubt, the papers would have been all over it. With the semi coming up, it just wouldn't have happened.

I reckon Kenny will leave by mutual consent come the summer, and I think it'll be FSG that make the first move on that front.

The whole thing has been a massive fuck up though really hasn't it? The DOF is the last person you sack at a club. It just shows that the decision to appoint him in the first place was a careless one done with no real care. Even worse, it was apparently just off a recommendation from their mate Billy Beane. You simply cannot forgive giving the most important job at the football club to someone based on a recommendation from someone who isn't even involved with football. It's actually mental and completely amateurish on all fronts. I know people won't like it, but if they weren't happy with the way things were going, then it should have been Kenny going. Not Comolli. I'm not saying I think Kenny should go, but I don't see why Kenny enjoys their 'full support' and yet Comolli is packing his bags not even 2 years into the job. As Kenny said, it was him who picked the players. It's him who picks the team and the tactics. So if we take that out of it, where was it that they felt Comolli was under performing? Were they unhappy with the way he was working at Academy level? Was it the wages he was giving the players? There's not much that comes to mind. At the end of the day, Comolli is the fall guy. The reason? It's less hassle than sacking Dalglish. I hope they acknowledge that they went about Comolli's appointment in totally the wrong manner. If they refuse to see that, then sadly I see it only getting worse.

Who will replace Comolli is the next question. I gotta say, the idea of Van Gaal isn't one that seems too smart to me. Cruyff won't happen either. Txiki would be my preference, but whether we can persuade him to take the job is another thing. Something I've been thinking about... given that the owners will hopefully be consulting various 'football people' about this appointment you wonder whether they'll consult Borrell and Segura? Both of those worked with Begiristain whilst he was at Barca. With the philosophy already in place at the Academy, Txiki would just be stepping in to do that role albeit at a more senior level than Segura. I suppose it depends on whether his relationship with Segura and Rodolfo is a healthy one. Hell, for all I know he might have had some hand in them leaving Barcelona in the first place!

The thing I keep coming back to however is this - if Kenny wants to sign predominately British players, then why appoint a DOF who wants to look a bit farther and wider than that. One of the articles I read mentioned that the signing policy was totally the opposite of what FSG wanted. If that is true, then they need to change the manager. The only other option is telling Kenny that he is in charge of the team, but the signings are totally down to the DOF and he has to take what he's given. That way there's no compromises or clashes in footballing ideals.

Monchi and Corvino are the two most recognisable names in Europe where DOF are concerned. It's not even been a month since Corvino left Fiorentina, so I don't know how quickly he wants back in. Monchi is someone who has kind of slipped off the radar in recent years. He was the main man 4 or 5 years ago, but Sevilla have been in decline and with that there's been less said about him. It does seem as though things are starting to improve at the Pizjuan though. I know Sid Lowe has a theory that when Monchi was working with less money, he actually performed a lot better. When he did have a bit of cash to spend, things went less well. They do seem to have made some nice signings in recent windows though. Manu, Medel, and Rakitic spring to mind. Don't think either of those three cost a great deal of money either. Still, anyone who signs Dani Alves for a pittance has to be worth considering. Makes it an all Spanish affair too. But again, not sure if he speaks any English.

There is a really interesting interview with him in World Soccer in fact. He kind of sums up what I was saying above that the manager can't have as much say as Kenny has been given thus far. Well, he can, but it means you're taking away the beauty of what a DOF gives you.

Here's a few interesting things I took from the interview:

And what if the coach wants a particular player? For instance, Ramos told World Soccer he specifically asked for Freddie Kanoute.

Well, it wasn’t quite like that. We had discussions about what kind of player to buy, and Kanoute fitted the profile. It’s vital there’s trust and confidence, and if we both happen to like the same player, then great. But I would never buy a specific player solely because the coach likes him – the sporting directorate has to like him, too, he has to fit our model. If the coach suggests a player who we don’t have good reports on then we won’t sign him. If we did, our model would be the English model.

What’s wrong with that?

Well, look at the situation now. If we had done that and Juande left, as he has, we would be left with players that were Juande’s players, not necessarily ones that fit the framework we’ve laid down as a club.

It's all a bit of a mess eh?
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3030 on: April 13, 2012, 05:46:36 am »
I dont think its a warning shot to Kenny, it's the opposite. The fact that Brukner walked out of the same meeting without a job, while having raised the club to the best fitness stats in the league and was known to not have ''gelled' with Kenny, suggests it was a 'clear the decks have it your way Kenny' type of situation.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #3031 on: April 13, 2012, 05:49:19 am »
I dont think its a warning shot to Kenny, it's the opposite. The fact that Brukner walked out of the same meeting without a job, while having raised the club to the best fitness stats in the league and was known to not have ''gelled' with Kenny, suggests it was a 'clear the decks have it your way Kenny' type of situation.

Absolutely 100% not saying this is their intent, but it does mean the focus is squarely on Kenny next year. If we struggle again, there will be no sharing the blame.

I don't see us struggling though, Kenny will have learned from this season. Be interesting to see our transfer policy this summer.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3032 on: April 13, 2012, 05:58:10 am »
Good post Dilkington.

There's not much point calling it the 'Director of Football' if he's essentially doing a head scout (plus negotiations) routine. Neither do I see the reason to be happy about his departure when most (if not all) don't know exactly how he performed in the responsibilities he was set in the first place. When John Henry himself finds it hard to exactly judge Comolli's work (according to Tomkins) due to the nature of the set up FSG put in place themselves, how foolish is it to say well done FSG / they made a brave decision...One of the key considerations when putting in place a management structure is clear divisions of responsibility. If henry's practically admitting to not being able to analyse Comolli's work clearly, he started off the entire process with a mistake.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3033 on: April 13, 2012, 06:01:56 am »
Absolutely 100% not saying this is their intent, but it does mean the focus is squarely on Kenny next year. If we struggle again, there will be no sharing the blame.

I don't see us struggling though, Kenny will have learned from this season. Be interesting to see our transfer policy this summer.

But to offer up a genuine leading expert on fitness merely as a political sacrifice is not a good idea. if it is true that Dalglish is stuck in the early 20th century where it comes to sports science and thast is why he did not gell with Bruckner, then to allow Bruckner to leave seems to be to cut off one's nose to spite one's face! Wouldn't the better option be to compel Dalglish to work with and to accept Bruckner's methods?

Even if your theory is correct - which is that they are setting Dalglish up for next season to take the blame 100% if the club fails again, is far too machievallian and sacrifices the club's short term success merely to strengthen their political position. Why bother to do that when they are the owners?

I hope more news comes out to explain further why Bruckner is leaving because as it stands, it is mystifying.

Offline Nano

• Main Stander
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #3034 on: April 13, 2012, 06:09:17 am »
I'm glad that fsg is taking action. The transfers were a massive dissapointment after H&G left. The signing of carroll 35m, downing 20m, adam 8m and henderson 16m = 79m , made diao 5m, diouf 10m and cheyrou 4m = 19m look like bargains.
Rafa Benitez : "We have a problem with Sami. He has a knock in the head. He was dizzy so I asked him if he'd seen the third goal! He just looked at me (with a confused look).

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #3035 on: April 13, 2012, 06:11:45 am »
Even if your theory is correct - which is that they are setting Dalglish up for next season to take the blame 100% if the club fails again,

Think you misread mate,

Absolutely 100% not saying this is their intent

'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
Comolli and Bruckner leave by mutual consent
« Reply #3036 on: April 13, 2012, 06:21:25 am »
Good post mate - and a bit lost amongst all the fast moving expressions of shock and speculation.

Think you make a good point about Kenny's management - as I said on another thread his performance as a manger simply has to improve - theres no way we are going to catch up if we have the 3rd or 4th best managerial performance in the season. Currently Kenny is behind Mr Alex Ferguson, Mancini, Wenger, Redknapp, Moyes, Lambert, Rogers and Pardew this season - the key for him to succeed is to sign very high quality players like himself who deserve the freedom to play and express themselves - eg Agger, Lucas, Suarez. Some managers are much better dictating exactly what to do to more limited players - eg Enrique, Downing, Carroll who are suited to a lower level of football. Put Hodgson in charge of a newly promoted side and he'd do well though he was a disaster at the very top level (and vice versa for kenny).

Our tactics have fallen short this season and for this kenny has traditionally relied on his number two - we need a tactician to come in who is able to drill the players with exactly how to play; we may still be able to keep Clarke for the defensive side but may need someone with a deeper understanding of the game from an attacking point of view.

Too right, in my view. You've cut through all the bullshit there. Was It Ray Harford for Kenny at Blackburn? Is he past it now?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3037 on: April 13, 2012, 06:22:30 am »
It seems ludicrous that one of the leading sports scientists in the world has been sacked just because he didn't 'gel' with Kenny. There must be more to that than we know.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3038 on: April 13, 2012, 06:28:06 am »
It seems ludicrous that one of the leading sports scientists in the world has been sacked just because he didn't 'gel' with Kenny. There must be more to that than we know.

It could have been a balance thing actually. I'm sure Brukner's philosophy is quite all encompassing, and it could just confuse players if they arent getting an identical message from everyone and upset the balance. If we retain our current team, and can consult with Brukner, I'm not too uncomfortable with this...

IF however, the management fundamentally disagreed with using modern sport science techniques, then I'd be very worried.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3039 on: April 13, 2012, 06:29:08 am »
So now we have finally went to a different level from posting player names to management names!

Had to be involved in that conversation in realtime to appreciate this i think. But... yes ???