Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3473509 times)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #55200 on: September 29, 2022, 07:57:45 pm »
Went and watched Smile, really enjoyed it. Plenty of jumpy bits and a decent story to go with. Not even the assholes in the row ahead could ruin the film with their constant talking. Well worth a watch if you’re a horror fan, solid 7/10 for me.

Is that on in Liverpool now, I checked online but couldn't find out..cheers.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55201 on: September 29, 2022, 09:33:22 pm »
Is that on in Liverpool now, I checked online but couldn't find out..cheers.

It's on Cineworld in Speke
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #55202 on: September 30, 2022, 07:16:19 pm »
Boy oh boy, Blonde will divide people.  I thought it was brilliant, jarring film. Didn’t find it exploitative in the slightest.  I’ve read plenty on Norma Jean, a girl who was shit on from every height, Blonde actually humanised her more than Oates book or most books actually.  Liberties were taken, it’s not comfortable viewing, it made me feel for the girl even more,.

Brilliant film, Ana De Armas was stunning, brilliant performance that probably won’t get close to an Oscar nod for certain reasons.

I’m going to watch it again tomorrow.
I’ve just watched it and completely agree.  Absolutely stunning film, looks gorgeous (as one would expect from Andrew Dominik), fantastic performance by De Armas.  Found it really moving, actually. 

I know it won’t be to everyone’s taste, but I was surprised how low it’s rated on IMDB etc.  Mind you, I’ve seen some absolutely shite films rated highly on there, so I don’t take much notice of it anymore.   

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55203 on: September 30, 2022, 09:07:50 pm »
Saw Moonage Daydream today, sort of a David Bowie documentary but also really isn't. Basically using audio of Bowie himself (and interviewers) as it sort of goes through his career using live concert footage, and other bits from across his life, artwork, etc. Plus imagery I assume was created for the film. Combined with his stunning back catalogue its an audio-visual treat.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55204 on: September 30, 2022, 11:19:13 pm »
Saw Moonage Daydream today, sort of a David Bowie documentary but also really isn't. Basically using audio of Bowie himself (and interviewers) as it sort of goes through his career using live concert footage, and other bits from across his life, artwork, etc. Plus imagery I assume was created for the film. Combined with his stunning back catalogue its an audio-visual treat.

Saw it the other week and loved it.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #55205 on: October 2, 2022, 09:31:58 am »
It's on Cineworld in Speke

Thanks...love going to the Cinema, I'll watch that tonight. I prefer the old traditional Cinemas though, The Woolton in particular is brilliant, as is the Plaza in Crosby.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #55206 on: October 2, 2022, 08:58:32 pm »
Just watched Belfast. What a sweet big hearted feel good film.

Loved it
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55207 on: October 2, 2022, 11:16:10 pm »
Just watched Belfast. What a sweet big hearted feel good film.

Loved it

Love you la.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55208 on: October 2, 2022, 11:21:40 pm »
Love you la.
I’m assuming this means it’s right up there with Rogue One for you, Ya big weirdo!?

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #55209 on: October 3, 2022, 05:05:00 pm »
been downloading a bunch of films from recent years i haven't seen and......

Archive (2020), what a really top film, thouroughly enjoyed it

think a less high profile Ex-Machina type and you get the drift, defo worth a watch from sci fi lovers

if that appeals to you, you dont need trailers etc, just download and watch, im sure you'll find it worth it
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55210 on: October 3, 2022, 07:54:31 pm »
been downloading a bunch of films from recent years i haven't seen and......

Archive (2020), what a really top film, thouroughly enjoyed it

think a less high profile Ex-Machina type and you get the drift, defo worth a watch from sci fi lovers

if that appeals to you, you dont need trailers etc, just download and watch, im sure you'll find it worth it

Will watch,loved Ex Machina.Thanks for the tip mate.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55211 on: October 3, 2022, 11:49:32 pm »
Saw Blonde and I have to disagree with the posters above. It was pretty bad, a failure on almost every conceivable level and Dominik has to take the brunt of the blame because the flaws are largely down to directorial choices. I'd read a couple of reviews and was expecting it to be an offensive, tasteless mess, and it kind of is, but the tasteless parts are really the only times the movie has a pulse. It's a boring, empty film with nothing to say.

What do I mean by that? Blonde's conceit is that Marilyn Monroe is a facade that ends up consuming the life of Norma Jean Baker, but you never get any idea of who Baker is. The film is almost three hours and (I'm pretty sure I'm right here) she never has an actual conversation with anyone. It's just a succession of isolated scenes of her sobbing, being beaten, having sex, hallucinating or calling men Daddy, with nothing to link them structurally. The version of Monroe it depicts is actually less faceted than her actual public image at the time, which is insane.

One of the film's biggest problems is that it thinks it's a feminist statement just because it's filled with non-consensual sex and crying, but it has nothing to say about the power structures it's meant to be criticising past 'they're bad/sexist'. You could argue that's unnecessary as the film focuses on Monroe herself, but the events ring hollow because they're meant to be about a real person and you know at least half of them lie somewhere between speculation and outright fabrication. You can see Dominik was heavily influenced by David Lynch - especially Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive - but you can sympathise with Lynch's female characters because they're presented as real people who have personalities and three-dimensional reactions to their situations, and Dominik doesn't have Lynch's originality or sense of atmosphere.

That's what I mean when I say it fails on every level - as character study, political statement, atmosphere piece or even narrative fiction. Lastly, it's relatively minor but I wasn't that impressed with de Armas. She had a wealth of video footage to draw on, spent 90% of the film depiciting one of three emotions (shock, pain or confusion) and she couldn't even get the accent to stick. An even bigger disappointment than Killing Them Softly.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55212 on: October 4, 2022, 02:04:35 am »
Will watch,loved Ex Machina.Thanks for the tip mate.

just be aware it's not of the budget of ex-machina but they still do a great job imo (and that i went in with no expectations beyond it's sci fi so im gonna watch it)
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55213 on: October 4, 2022, 07:11:37 am »
Didn't enjoy Blonde at all. Thought some of the audio was very poorly done with conversations with too much music being played or conversation with literally all of background edited out.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55214 on: October 7, 2022, 01:09:09 am »
Got round to seeing Moonage Daydream. It was obviously a pure propaganda film and entirely artificial, but I really liked how it communicated in a cinematic sense what was so fascinating about Bowie as an artist and musical figure. It really brought into perspective how empty the vast majority of rock biopics and even documentaries are, and anyone looking to make one of those should take note.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55215 on: October 7, 2022, 04:46:43 pm »
I've been rummaging around youtube recommends of older films, looking for ones i've missed etc

just watched Stay (2005) - i liked it, i can imagine many wouldn't but if you like a movie where what is going on isn't readily apparent, could be one for you

also rewatched Enemy (2013) (again, not readily apparent) cos i always liked that film but hadn't sorted it all out first time around and second time around was even better

Jacob's Ladder is one of my fav films of all time, so defo top slot for me in the 'not readily apparent' category, think im gonna watch that next seeing as im in the mood for such films atm

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55216 on: October 7, 2022, 06:45:31 pm »
Went to my local film festival and caught a few recently.

Close: It's a really masterfully made film, really well shot. Acting is very good too. Reminded me a bit of Ratcatcher which I also saw recently. But maybe could have been 10 mins shorter. The final emotional punch also didn't land that well for me after a long build-up, although there were many in the theatre in tears. 7/10

Something You Said Last Night: A family-vacation comedy-drama film where the lead character is Trans. The film really captures the small details of family interactions, the dialogue is really well written. The director is clearly very observant of human behaviour. Even a lot of jokes feel very "real" like something you would hear your friends or family make. Some brilliant camera work in the film too.

The film sort of meanders a bit at times though. 7.5/10

Decision to Leave: IMO this is Park Chan Wook's best or second-best film (I am torn). It's funny and unpredictable, it has Hitchcockian suspense. It's a rom-com at its heart but it's also a parody of rom-coms to some extent and it's so weird to have a director like Park Chan Wook make a film like this, but it totally works. 9.5/10.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55217 on: October 8, 2022, 02:10:00 pm »
While sitting at home while nursing an injury I’ve decided to catch up on a couple of franchises. Starting with Terminator.

T1 was great, absolutely loved T2. After watching T3 in the cinema and shocked by how shit it was and destroying the work T2 did, I decided never to watch any going forward. But boredom took over.

I can’t decide which is worse, Salvation, Genysis or Dark Fate. Think I preferred Salvation, but fuck me how fucking shit these have been since T3.

Next, The Predator and Predators, whichever way they come. Not expecting much

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55218 on: October 8, 2022, 09:16:00 pm »
Really enjoyed The Greatest Beer Run Ever. Couple of sad moments though. It's based on a true story which I only realised afterwards.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55219 on: October 8, 2022, 11:00:14 pm »

Jacob's Ladder is one of my fav films of all time, so defo top slot for me in the 'not readily apparent' category, think im gonna watch that next seeing as im in the mood for such films atm

Remember seeing that back in the early 90's. Will need to revisit it again.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55220 on: October 9, 2022, 07:53:10 am »
Hellraiser (2022)....

I'll nail my colours to the mast first in saying i really like the original Hellrasier - a rare beast in as much it's a movie 'better than the book' (partly because Barker's novella isn't that great to be honest) - subsequent Hellraisers only served to do a disservice to the original (Hellraiser II being okish, the rest shite), while committing the cardinal sin of making the cenobites a caricature of themselves, watering them down. I view the original cenobites and their portrayal as probably my favourite horror 'character', who were genuinely disturbing and right up there for me as horror icons and were the jewel in the crown of the original, it's what made it standout, what lifted it up above its source material (altho creating the cenobites, it didn't really do much with them, while the movie excelled in creating demonic horrors visually and in essence)

So that's where i stand with Hellraiser and any comparisons of this reboot are to the original movie (not The Hellbound Heart novella).

This new movie is very loosely based on the original story, with a thread through the movie that is identifiable to the original but in no way mirrors it. I dont have a problem with that as long as it's good. It starts off ok, is interesting in the opening set up, which contains the only interesting character in the whole film (Roland). We move to the main character and the start of her journey is okish but soon descends into what i view as a weekly crap 'straight to video' movie you see for download on a near weekly basis (despite having a much greater budget). This just has a Hellraiser veneer covering it.

Spoiler
You know the paint by numbers horror flicks that have a group of people in a house, a cabin, whatever and they get picked off one by one. Despite its source material this movie descends into that once we get to the house (which we are ushered into almost immediately having established a group, albeit bereft of character depth), it's been done a million times, it's generally shite, boring, tedious and putting a hellraiser veneer over this isn't going to change that. Pathetic writing choice, fucking criminal really. BTW, being centred in the house isn't the problem, the original is totally centred in a very mundane house. Which is kind of ironic, cos the house in the reboot is very lavish and clearly an expensive set but totally wasted in this movie, while the original uses a fucking council house to great effect.
[close]

The original has a simple but compelling story, tho few in number the characters are interesting and fleshed out (and it's worth noting that film had a good solid cast), and as a whole it feels like exactly what its source material was, a short story, compact and focused, disturbing and alluring in its telling.

Now if a terrible plot choice and totally forgettable characters wasn't bad enough, turning the one thing that might save it into utter garbage is a death nail - the cenobites are absolutely trash. That is fucking unforgiveable, if you're rebooting Hellrasier you have to go in knowing the cenobites are the draw, the stars if you will and to do what they did with them tells me whoever was handling that has no fucking clue about horror whatsoever.

The cenobites are sadomasochistic demons par excellence. The original portrayed that brilliantly visually, in costume that reflects the niche sex scene assosciated with it (cool as fuck in modern parlance), and showed their extreme nature by relatively small but incredibly painful and real looking mutlilations/mods.

In this reboot nothing looks real, it's all way overdone and very 'plastic', not disturbing in the least and not a smidgen of the sadomasochistic scene - and this is a major difference between the two movies in content and cenobites - the original is saturated in sex whether in pain or pleasure, whether in thought or deed. The reboot has total disregard for it, the new pinhead as much as states that fact. Fucking bizarre. Having the main character ask to be 'fucked harder' is the giddy heights it reaches, laughable child's play compared to Frank in the original - and that really does sum up the reboot really, it says 'fuck me hard' and then whips out a tiny flaccid todger. It's clueless of its own impotence.

Love or hate the original, it is grimy, sweaty, dirty, licentious, you imagine the fuckbed stinks, everything about it is visceral, which is the very essence of it, be it blood or sex, of body or mind.

The reboot, all clean, nothing visceral, plastic - story, characters, aesthetically (and i didn't notice the score at all apart from when it uses updated snippets of the original, literally).

The source material novella is called The Hellbound Heart and in the original we can see, smell almost taste that impulse, craving, descent from Frank onwards, the reboot doesn't relate to that title at all, not in any meaningful way with only a little nod to it in the character Roland.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2022, 10:35:12 am by Armand9 »

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55221 on: October 14, 2022, 05:11:11 pm »
So Triangle of Sadness is brilliant. I am surprised this hasn't become a huge box office hit. Yes its won some big awards and is a big hit in Indie circles but don't see it any normal theaters yet.

The main themes of the film are extremely timely. Humour is in similar vein to Armando Ianucci. A great film to experience with a a large audience.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55222 on: October 14, 2022, 09:38:49 pm »
The Nightingale

fuck me that was grim

good movie tho

i had it ready to watch a long way back and never got round to it, forgot about it, and finally was in the mood for what i was aware wouldn't be a 'nice' watch

glad i did but yeah, fucking grim

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55223 on: October 14, 2022, 10:13:45 pm »
Yeah, harsh film that. The scene at the beginning was shocking.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55224 on: October 14, 2022, 10:39:53 pm »
The Nightingale is a brilliant film, Jennifer Kent is a great filmmaker, her and Ari Aster are the most interesting directors working today.

Offline MainStandUltra

• Kemlynite
« Reply #55225 on: October 16, 2022, 12:15:56 pm »
Watched Halloween Ends tonight, wish I hadn't.

I don't know know how they could have made it any worse  :butt

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55226 on: October 16, 2022, 12:34:09 pm »
I went Friday night, thought it was just dull which is the worst thing a horror film can be.  Being a child of the late 70s early 80s Ive seen some terrible horror films, but most were at least diverting on a visceral level.  I actually think the Rob Zombie films are better than this new Halloween trilogy and they were a complete mess.

Hope the powers that be are telling the truth with the ‘Ends’ part.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55227 on: October 16, 2022, 03:29:18 pm »
Hereditary (2018) and The Witch (2015)

two films i'd be meaning to get around to at some point

i actually thought i'd seen The Witch until i realised some time later that the Korean film i'd watched wasn't the one people were telling me to watch - btw i preferred that filim over the two i'm looking at here

I went in blind apart from being aware there were supernatural elements - whether real or not, i didn't know, wasn't aware of the level of ambiguity, so as i've been watching a number movies like that of late, seemed perfect timing.

very different settings but much in common, both films are very well made and acted. so i consider them quality viewing and would recommend if there's anyone out there that hasn't checked them out yet but certainly not flawed and i dont rate them anywhere near as highly as some. That said, if you like a spooky movie that isn't some fuckers vacationing somewhere and trope jump scares to the rafters, then both of these could be for you with their slower more pervasive approach.

Spoiler
I saw comparisons to the Exorcist and Hereditary being considered better - uhm, not even close for me with the exorcist far superior on every level. I think Hereditary would've benefitted from being more ambigious at the very end (an unusual stance for me) but the final scene lays waste to that. I dont necessarily think it makes it a worse film but was somewhat not needed imo, something less grand, simpler, but subtely confirming seemed more appropriate - it's not as tho the cat wasn't out of the bag in the run up to the exorcist homage of exit left via window  :D
[close]

seems natural to finally watch Midsommar, so yep, roll camera
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 04:37:16 pm by Armand9 »

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55228 on: October 16, 2022, 09:51:51 pm »
Hereditary isn’t even remotely similar to The Exorcist, I’m struggling to see any comparison.  I’ve met Aster at horror conventions and the only horror film he acknowledged being an influence was The Shining and I struggle with that.  It’s more influenced by Bergman, stuff like Cries And Whispers and Persona. He’s also mentioned Carrie and Peter Greenaway’s films. Hereditary is about grief, The Exorcist about faith.

I think it’s a great film and Aster is a special talent, but yeah, it doesn’t come close to The Exorcist quality wise ( they are miles apart tonally) but then I think The Exorcist is one of the greatest films ever made.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #55229 on: October 16, 2022, 09:57:52 pm »
Despite the discourse around it I went to see Don't Worry Darling at the weekend and thought it was overall a fine movie. Thought Pugh and Pine were excellent, rest of the cast seemed fine as well.

Spoiler

My  issue is how once the twist is revealed that the rules aren't explained, the whole you die in the simulation you die in real life seems bizarre. The biggest issue however comes earlier when Alice (Pugh) goes to the mountain top what we learn later on is that's how you leave the simulation. So if that's the case why when she does that early on why doesn't she wake back up in the real world. Jack's at his real job so wouldn't be in the apartment. So who puts her back into the simulation, after all when she reveals she went up the mountain only Pines character knows this happened and Jack seems oblivious to the fact anything happened.
[close]

Yeah it's not the steaming pile of shite it is being made out to be. It's good. The problems are in the script. Too much time is spent visually justifying the budget
Spoiler
rather than explaining the mechanics of the world. Less time spent on world building and more time resolving the plethora of plot holes would massively improve it
[close]

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55230 on: October 17, 2022, 01:56:43 am »
Hereditary isn’t even remotely similar to The Exorcist, I’m struggling to see any comparison.  I’ve met Aster at horror conventions and the only horror film he acknowledged being an influence was The Shining and I struggle with that.  It’s more influenced by Bergman, stuff like Cries And Whispers and Persona. He’s also mentioned Carrie and Peter Greenaway’s films. Hereditary is about grief, The Exorcist about faith.

I think it’s a great film and Aster is a special talent, but yeah, it doesn’t come close to The Exorcist quality wise ( they are miles apart tonally) but then I think The Exorcist is one of the greatest films ever made.

I agree with pretty much every word of that - tho as i said before i do see in the movie what i consider a homage to the Exorcist (i can't see it any other way - in fact i called it before it happened, soon as i saw the 'scene', i knew where that was going immediately)

but now i have to mention Midsommar

i have no problem in pissing on the chips of some utter tosh that's been banged out to go straight to video with no care given to it at all, as long as there's a pair of nice tits and some slashing, someone's gonna look at it

Midsommar is not that, clearly a movie that has had care and attention paid to it - so im not off-handedly pissing on the dude's chips but it is not good, i think the expression 'trying too hard' is what came to my mind when the credits rolled

he clearly likes foreshadowing, callbacks, alienation etc and i too like those things cleverly woven into stories whether that be film, books or games, but these accent a movie that i just dont see as a quality watch

i think the soundscape was very good, and the acting is fine (plus some nice camera work), those are my positives but as a whole it just comes across as someone trying to be different for the sake of it, and the effort is clearly there, the dude loves attention to detail, but given all that it didn't make for a good film. If i was trying to put it in a sentence, i guess i see it as a very self-conscious film to its detriment.

off the top of my head, The Wicker Man (1973) is a movie with a similar setting but does it so much better in cranking up the 'paranoia' and simply telling a good story

and maybe that's the simple truth of it, Robin Hardy directed a movie where he wanted to tell an interesting story and no more than that, Aster seemed to be more interested in aspects of social commentary (and i know some will argue all film/art does that, but im sure you know what i mean)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 02:04:12 am by Armand9 »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55231 on: October 17, 2022, 03:56:31 pm »
Off to see Amsterdam with the missus tonight.

Will report back once done.

My mate saw the one with Clooney in and said it was absolute shite, so saved me a grim visit watching that :D

Looking foward to Babylon as well
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #55232 on: October 17, 2022, 04:22:11 pm »
Off to see Amsterdam with the missus tonight.

Will report back once done.

Do you know anything about it...?

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55233 on: October 17, 2022, 05:35:48 pm »
Booked my tickets for The Banshees Of Inisherin, a film I’m really, really looking forward to.  I loved In Bruges and Three Billboards (not overly keen on Seven Psychopaths but it had its moments), Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson have great chemistry.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55234 on: October 18, 2022, 09:27:11 am »
Do you know anything about it...?

I do now

I liked it - missus wasn't that keen, but it was kind of based on a true story with quite a decent cast.

Certainly quirky and I enjoyed it as a feature.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55235 on: October 18, 2022, 09:27:46 am »
Booked my tickets for The Banshees Of Inisherin, a film I’m really, really looking forward to.  I loved In Bruges and Three Billboards (not overly keen on Seven Psychopaths but it had its moments), Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson have great chemistry.

Yeah going to give this a go. Looks quite stupid, but potentially quite funny too.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #55236 on: October 18, 2022, 10:12:45 am »

A work mate of mine mentioned it a couple of months ago as parts of it were filmed where his mum lives in the West of Ireland. Will have to see it too.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55237 on: October 21, 2022, 10:56:54 pm »
Banshees Of Inisherin is the best film I've seen this year and Martin McDonaghs's best film, and prior to this he hadn't made a bad one.  It's not laugh out loud hilarious, but it is funny in a certain way from the first minute to the last, smiled the whole way through (with typical moments that a more adjusted person wouldn't find funny).  Gleeson and Farrell are great, very much 'In Bruges', if the latter doesn't get some sort of Oscar nod they're as pointless as most people think they are. The humour is very McDonagh, albeit on a smaller scale, I 'd say it's closer to his brother's work like The Guard and Calvary, a more introverted humour.

I've got tomorrow afternoon to myself, I'm tempted to go again.  It's just a wonderful, wonderful film.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55238 on: October 21, 2022, 11:33:58 pm »
Just watched Ambulance, extremely ridiculous but bloody good fun

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55239 on: October 23, 2022, 06:41:49 pm »
Just been to see The Banshees of Inisherin. An absolutely tremendous film.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John