Author Topic: PL: West Ham 1 v Liverpool 1 Mane ‘21 Antonio ‘27  (Read 46163 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
PL: West Ham 1 v Liverpool 1 Mane ‘21 Antonio ‘27
« on: February 4, 2019, 06:30:44 pm »
“This will be the first, and last, time I visit this ground”, I say to my companion (*more on him later), as we’re stood in the same spot that we have been for at least ten minutes, with a queue for an airport style scanner and a UFO-style bowl of a stadium ahead, a giant red male genitalia-shaped structure to our right, and with kick-off fast approaching. Leaving central London an hour and a half before kick off for a direct tube train, had seemed to be plenty of time, but evidently not. None of us like these new grounds with nothing around them (ie: no pubs) but you really do seem to be in the middle of nothing here, and it seems to take an age to get anywhere.  Getting inside, just as the game is about to kick off, the first thing I notice is that the upper tier is a good 15 yards further back from the lower tier, which is just basically a temporary stand which has been built over/in front of the stadiums actual lower tier. First impressions were not good, but then again the expectations were not particularly high to start with.

But it's amazing how quickly the feeling can change. As a 4-1 win unfolded, and following on from a 4-0 victory earlier in the calendar year, the stadium started to slightly resemble somewhere where we’d normally play a European Cup final. And then feelings quickly returned to those of earlier, as we took the circuitous route back to Stratford station after the game. Why a club which has such a historic place in football would want to move to an athletics ground, would ordinarily beggar belief. There is of course only one reason why, which we all know, however it may be dressed up. Upton Park was one of those grounds that just had a real character about it, people would tell me. A magic, a traditional British football ground, with neat old stands and large terraces, close to the pitch, and in a busy area. A ground that supporters looked forward to visiting. And previous highlights for the Reds there include both Michael Robinson and John Toshack scoring left foot, right foot and headed goal hat-tricks.

Having enjoyed those memories on the Official History video as a kid, my eagerly anticipated and only visit to Upton Park watching Liverpool in 2008, ended with defeat in a game that is memorable for absolutely nothing, apart from for me personally the fact that it’s the only time I’ve ever watched a goal being scored, on a TV on the concourse. Whilst virtually never an early-leaver, the game had gone past the allotted injury time with West Ham attacking, the cheers when reaching the bottom of the steps indicated not a goal, but that a major incident had gone in the home sides favour.  That penalty was scored by a young Mark Noble, who epitomises the sort of player that every supporter loves to have at their club. He’s from your area, loves the club, shows desire, passion, grit and determination, gives his absolute all, and deservedly goes on to captain them. Practically a one-club man, and like a number of others in that position at unfashionable clubs, strangely overlooked at International level.

The Hammers now seem set for mid-table security this season, after an awful start in which they seemed almost certain for relegation, until our neighbours generously gifted them the three points that started the turnaround. Pellegrini was seemingly a certainty for the sack if they didn’t get a result there. When the above mentioned hat-tricks were both scored, West Ham, with John Lyall, were incredibly only on their FIFTH manager in the clubs history. In contrast, Pellegrini is the tenth person to have managed the Hammers in the 21st century, but that’s modern football sadly.

We go into the game on the back of a disappointing home draw, yet having extended our lead. A strange feeling of optimism and frustration, and what might have been. Perhaps it will prove to be a valuable lesson though, as absolutely nothing can be taken for granted, as that lead could be overturned as quickly as two games. We have to do our own job, forget about the cushion we have, and worry about what others do later. Our injury woes at the back seem to get worse by the week, and as surprising as this would ordinarily sound, the return of James Milner to slot in at right-back is vital.

It’s impossible to predict what West Ham side will turn up. They come in to this game on the back of two embarrassing defeats in five days, and a loss at Bournemouth the week before, yet prior to that they beat Arsenal. The only thing predictable about them this season, is their unpredictability.

*For those who are still reading (which hopefully will be most!), my companion on the day was a gentleman from the West side of the USA, who was making his 23rd (and still counting…) visit to the UK to follow his loves of LFC, music, and to see his many friends in Liverpool, London, and across the country. The more long-standing members of RAWK, will be delighted to know that he is back over again in March for his 26th visit, and will tick off another ground as he visits Craven Cottage whilst on the London part of his trip. 

I however, have gone against what I said whilst stood in that queue, and will be in attendance on Monday evening. Hopefully the same result, but 4-1, 6-0, 1-0 with a first minute scrappy own goal, it doesn’t matter. Let’s just get the win please Reds.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2019, 08:28:05 pm by Tepid T₂O »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: West Ham v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: February 4, 2019, 07:01:55 pm »

Hendo out with a muscle injury and Gini with a sore knee.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2019, 07:05:16 pm by jillc »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 4, 2019, 07:04:28 pm »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: February 4, 2019, 08:01:08 pm »
1 and we're off as bubbles litter the pitch.  Seems to be a straight 4-3-3 for us.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 4, 2019, 08:03:32 pm »
3 a quick break by West Ham, Noble works Hines, into the area and a shot scrapes past Alisson’s left hand post.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2019, 08:03:46 pm »
Does anyone know who this Lollana is Alan Smith has just mentioned?   :o

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 4, 2019, 08:04:56 pm »
4 a nice break by the reds. Naby passes it to Bobby in a bit of space.  He plays Robertson in down the side of he area but he’s just offside.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 4, 2019, 08:06:10 pm »
5 first time diagonal pass by Keita almost plays Salah in but the keeper just gathers first.  Nice ball over the top that.

Corner to the reds..
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 4, 2019, 08:07:01 pm »
6 and it’s cleared near post... it’s always cleared near post ...grrrrr
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 4, 2019, 08:08:34 pm »
7 diagonal ball along the ground plays Robertson clear.  His cross is cleared for a corner.  Nice that.

Works to Lallana inthe area and his shot is weak.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 4, 2019, 08:10:16 pm »
9 nice build up from West Ham, the ball is cleared form our area and cresswell shaves the left hand post again.
W

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #11 on: February 4, 2019, 08:11:06 pm »
West Ham having a decent go and the crowd is responding.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 4, 2019, 08:12:22 pm »
West Ham having a decent go and the crowd is responding.
We’re playing well though.. good so far form both sides.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 4, 2019, 08:12:47 pm »
9 nice build up from West Ham, the ball is cleared form our area and cresswell shaves the left hand post again.

They are getting a lot of good possession down that side, we need to be more compact.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 4, 2019, 08:15:10 pm »
14 Keita our best player so far, passed it well and carried it well.

Over to Rushie
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 4, 2019, 08:16:20 pm »
15' Keita attempts to push forward but loses the ball and West Ham break. Excellent save from Alisson who pushes the ball wide.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 4, 2019, 08:17:32 pm »
16' - Reds have been a bit swamped to be honest - front 3 not getting the ball.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 4, 2019, 08:17:52 pm »
15' Keita attempts to push forward but loses the ball and West Ham break. Excellent save from Alisson who pushes the ball wide.

The save was routine, the way he pushed it 30 yards wide of the goal was excellent.
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 4, 2019, 08:19:22 pm »
18' - Fabianski with a massive punt from a FK deep in West Ham's area. Restults in a throw which they win the loose ball off.
Hammers continue to press forward.
Reds win the ball back and it's the patient buildup again.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 4, 2019, 08:20:30 pm »
19' - Naby with a lovely little run through the middle gets the ball to Bobby who goes for placement not power and Fabianski makes a comfortable save to his left.
That looked more promising though.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 4, 2019, 08:21:36 pm »
19' - Naby with a lovely little run through the middle gets the ball to Bobby who goes for placement not power and Fabianski makes a comfortable save to his left.
That looked more promising though.

He had time... didn’t quite catch it.  Should have scored there.
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 4, 2019, 08:21:43 pm »
20' - Corner to West Ham - Milner dealt well with Anderson in giving it away.
Ball is cleared easily and comes sailing back in but is gathered relatively comfortably by Becker

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 4, 2019, 08:22:59 pm »
22' - GOAL!!!

Milner was offside in the build up there - but no VAR
« Last Edit: February 4, 2019, 08:35:10 pm by Rush 82 »

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Re: PL: West Ham 0 v Liverpool 1 Mane ‘21
« Reply #23 on: February 4, 2019, 08:23:51 pm »
22' - GOAL!!!ManeOffside in there - but no VAR

Just brilliant from Lallana.  Twisted and turned like a twisty turney thing and tied them in knots
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 4, 2019, 08:23:53 pm »
Well someone on the site did say they would like us to win with an offside goal, so he's got his wish. Lovely bit of control by Lallana there.  ;D

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 4, 2019, 08:24:02 pm »
23' - Well - that was a tidy bit of luck to make up for some the shit luck we got v Leicester. Definitely offside but no flag and no whistle, so hey ho!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 4, 2019, 08:24:56 pm »
I can just hear those City and Spurs fans...…  ;D

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 4, 2019, 08:26:34 pm »
25' - Reds still haven't settled. Snod caught and Salah works it very well around the area.
Antonio does well to block a dangerous ballCorner - Salah takes but it caught in traffic and cleared.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 4, 2019, 08:27:33 pm »
We need to look after the ball better, we're still losing it in dangerous places and making our own problems.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 4, 2019, 08:27:40 pm »
26' - Really untidy play twice within a minute. West Ham's pressing is paying off.
Dangerous FK 35 yds out

West Ham score - they take a clever kick along the ground and Antonio finishes in the far corner

(Nonsense deleted after watching the replay)
« Last Edit: February 4, 2019, 08:56:19 pm by Rush 82 »

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Re: PL: West Ham 1 v Liverpool 1 Mane ‘21 Antonio ‘27
« Reply #30 on: February 4, 2019, 08:29:12 pm »
26' - Really untidy play twice within a minute. West Ham's pressing is paying off.
Dangerous FK 35 yds out

West Ham score - they take a clever kick along the ground and Antonio finishes in the far corner

It was clever.  They had a man blocking Keita which stopped him cievering quick enough. 
Technically a foul I guess, but really good football.
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 4, 2019, 08:30:16 pm »
29' Keita drives through the middle and the ball is tipped around for a corner.
Over to jill as the corner comes to nought.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 4, 2019, 08:31:24 pm »
30' If we could just keep the ball a bit better, it would aid us. But we're attempting to get back into it but so far West Ham have defended quite well.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 4, 2019, 08:31:47 pm »
Keita has warmed up nicely and we're starting to see the player from early season

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 4, 2019, 08:32:55 pm »
31 A really nice move there which started in midfield with Lallana and put in a gorgeous ball, but Keita couldn't quite do anything with it. But that was much better play and with good pace as well.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 4, 2019, 08:34:47 pm »
34 We are trying to move the ball from midfield quicker now, but we are still prone to losing the ball and West Ham break each time really quickly.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 4, 2019, 08:36:20 pm »
36 A free kick to West Ham, the ball goes in high but we get it away and break.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 4, 2019, 08:38:13 pm »
37 We give away another free kick this time but it has to be said West Ham waste it and it goes high over the bar, with Alisson making sure and not doing a Pickford.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 4, 2019, 08:39:39 pm »
38 We attack quickly with Sadio who passes to Bobby who puts a ball in across the box and West Ham clear it, but we do not get a corner. Payback for the goal?  :o

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 4, 2019, 08:39:40 pm »
Should have been a corner to us but no complaints here after the earlier slice of good luck