Author Topic: My Favourite Player #22 - Gary McAllister  (Read 5838 times)

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
My Favourite Player #22 - Gary McAllister
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:39:26 pm »
So, for the past 21 days you'll have read (and I'm sure you'll have enjoyed) some fantastic pieces about some fantastic players who have played for this fantastic club written by the Writers and Scribes of RAWK. I hope that this 22nd piece about one of my favourite ever players lives up to the 21 that have gone before it. My piece is about the 'arl fella who turned up, played 87 games and left his mark on the history of this great club.

Gary McAllister MBE

"He's got no hair but we don't care Gary, Gary Mac"

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Fco9YpJDvQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4Fco9YpJDvQ</a>

You might wonder why I've chosen Gary McAllister to write about, and if that's the case then I'm about to tell you why! I was born in 1987 so in 2001 I was at the age where football means more to you than it did previously. I grew up as a youngster watching a pretty average Liverpool side, so when 2001 came around and Liverpool were winning things, it was brilliant. Getting to travel to semi-finals and finals was alien to me (I remember watching the '95 League Cup win on TV, but I didn't really appreciate it at that time), so 2001 was great for me. Obviously, some of the men you'll have read about (and will read about in the next few days) will have played many more games for Liverpool, and a lot of them will have won more medals, but writing this piece for me brings back some great memories of the 2001 treble winning season and I don't think we'd have won those trophies without Gary Mac.

In a modern footballing culture that seems obsessed with young players, 'Moneyball' and potential sell-on fees, I doubt very much if we'll ever see a side with title-ambitions bringing in a 35 year old on a free transfer, unless of course it is in the goalkeeping position, where 35 looks to be a young age! In tough financial times, most clubs seem keen to invest in youth, while experienced pro's tend to fly off to China, America or the Middle East looking to earn vast amounts of money before riding off into the world of celebrity. I doubt you'll see many clubs with title aspirations making such a signing in the near future that's for sure.

It's hard to believe that it was over twelve years ago when Gerard Houllier brought in some 35 year old baldy 'arl fella to play for Liverpool, but that's how long it's been since Gary McAllister arrived at Anfield on a Bosman transfer from Coventry City. While nobody could question Gary's ability, some questioned why Gerard Houllier deemed it worthwhile to bring in a 35 year old centre midfield player when the squad already had good options in that position. However, 87 games and nine goals later it became clear how important a signing it was; as Houllier himself put it, Gary Mac was his "most inspirational signing".

"When Gary McAllister joined Liverpool, I was not alone in the dressing room in wondering what Gerard [Houllier, the manager] was doing. He seemed an odd buy. OK, he was once a terrific midfielder for Leeds United and Scotland, but McAllister was now thirty-five, his best days surely behind him … I rang my agent, Struan Marshall, who knew McAllister well. 'Stru, what's all this about?' I asked.
"'Don't worry, Stevie,' replied Struan, 'Gary Mac will be brilliant for Liverpool, and for you as well. Listen to him. Learn from him.' 'Sod off, Stru' I said. 'McAllister can learn off me!' How wrong I was." -
Steven Gerrard - My Autobiography.
It's also hard to believe that he was only at Anfield for two seasons, yet Gary became a hero to Liverpool fans as part of the side which won five trophies in 2001. In fact, Gary was more that just 'part' of the team, he was one of the stand out players not only in that glorious couple of months, but beyond. Not many players can become legends in just two years but Gary Mac did. He had a calming presence in a very raw side, he provided the bit of class that a very dynamic team needed, and he's set-pieces were often a thing of beauty. He was also a big inspiration to our younger players off the pitch. He was known to be excellent in training, and the young players in the squad looked up to him. Steven Gerrard admitted that he would always try to be among the first to get to the team bus, "so I could sit next to McAllister, absorbing advice"

He scored some vital goals for Liverpool, such as the penalty against Barcelona in the UEFA Cup semi-final, or his goal in the UEFA Cup Final vs Alves, but the one Gary Mac moment that we all treasure the most was the winner in a highly competitive Merseyside Derby at Goodison Park in April 2001.

The game started brightly, Liverpool went ahead thanks to Emile Heskey before Duncan Ferguson levelled for Everton just before half time. Liverpool went ahead again thanks to a great breakaway goal tucked home by Marcus Babbel. Liverpool then missed a chance to put the game to bed when Robbie Fowler was fouled in the box by Richard Gough. Fowler dusted himself off and took the penalty himself, but it was saved by Paul Gerrard. Ivor Biscan was then sent off for Liverpool, and the disadvantage took its toll on the Reds as Everton got an equaliser from the penalty spot after Sami Hyypia was adjudged to have held down Duncan Ferguson by that idiot Jeff Winter. Then in stoppage time, Gegory Vignal was fouled mid-way inside the Everton half. As the referee turned his back, Gary Mac used his cunning to move the ball further forward, which proved to be vitally important. It seemed like a great chance for Liverpool to send a cross into the box, and that looked to be the plan when Gary McAllister used Sami Hyypia away to the back of the box. By doing so a big gap appeared and rather than send in a cross, McAllister went for goal and Paul Gerrard couldn't get across in time. It was such a great goal for so many reasons. Firstly, it was clever on McAllister's part to move the ball closer to goal as the referee turned away, and it was equally as clever to send Hyypia away from the near post to create a gap. Secondly, it took some bottle to go for goal. If he'd have messed it up, Liverpool fans and probably their manager would have been so upset that we'd wasted a great crossing oppertunity. Thirdly, it was technically beautiful. The way he bent the ball right into the corner was spectacular and finally, it was against Everton...in stoppage time..at Goodison...to win the Derby! Brilliant!

Gary Mac left Anfield on 13th May 2002 to take up the position of player/manager at his beloved Coventry City. He ended his Liverpool career with an emotional send-off with a substitute appearance in Liverpool's 5-0 win against Ipswich Town. He received a standing ovation from the Kop, which is rare for a man who only made 87 appearances for the club and he appreciated it:

"I'll never forget today and I'll never forget how good the fans have been to me during my time at Anfield. I will never forget today and I want to thank all the fans who gave me such a great ovation. They were immense. I thought I would get a decent reception but that surpassed all my wildest dreams. That sort of ovation is normally reserved for players who have won European Cups for a club. It was a brilliant day and it was nice to hear the Kop's humour at its best again when they were telling me to go back to Coventry."

We loved how we got him on a free, we loved that we won all three, we loved his sweet roght foot, we loved his Dortmund pen, we loved his Bradford goal, we loved his Coventry goal, we loved his Spurs peno, we loved his Barca pen, we especially loved his Derby goal and we all loved his baldy head (especially us folically challenged fellas!). Plain and simple, we loved Gary Mac. He had no hair, but we didn't care.

It was great to see Gary Mac play for Liverpool, if only he came a few years earlier eh?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:16:10 am by CrispandevenLFC »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: My Favourite Player #22 - Gary McAllister
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:01:38 am »
Altogether now...Gary Mac...

I was sitting in a Sports Diner in Scotland when Gary Mac scored that free kick against the bitters and I jumped up and yelled out, basically knocking my dinner over, alarming the rest of the place and upsetting 3 waiters, 2 mothers and a ketchup bottle.

Happy fucking days.

this is a great write up as we head to the concluding days of the RAWK Advent Calendar.. enjoy!
Yep.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 12:07:48 am »
Loved this one. I yearn for an experienced head like his in our squad now... oh those were the days!

Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 12:30:16 am »
There were two phases to the goal against the bitters. Before he scored we had a free kick in a similar situation and that was when Gary Mac spotted the keeper make the movement, he nearly went for it the first time but sent it to the 'normal' area instead, far side of the box. Second time he saw gerrard move the same again and pinged it at the goal, the rest is history :)

royhendo

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 08:16:19 am »
The moment me and 24/7 met him a year or two ago will stick in my memory a very long time. What a man. :)

Thanks again Steven!

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 08:31:26 am »
Gaary Macca Gary Gary Macca.

That cool bald head of his. I agree with you, no way would we have won those trophies without him. And that derby goal. Much like Hinesy, we were at our usual table at our usual pub when it happened. Was about 8 of us. We're two for the mighty Redmen, rest for other assorted nonsense. Goal went in, table went one way, food the other. I'm pretty sure there were some beer around too. Apparently, as mentioned, there were mates there too. They were flung like ragdolls to fuck knows where. Innkeeper was, thankfully, ... kind. We'd been there for years and spent shitloads there, so he was good.

I'm rambling. That's a good thing. That means there were some proper memories behind it all.

That was a great piece Steven. Thank you.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 08:36:53 am »
Amongst the best signings the club has ever made.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 09:43:19 am »
Great read Steven. Thanks for that.

We got him for free! Do you hear that liverpool scouting system?? FREE! What an unbelievable buy! Love  the comments from Stevie's biography.

I will never forget that Everton game....the kind of moments that legends are made of. Like the OP said, it took a huge amount of bottle to go for it because if he ballooned it into the stand, he'd have got a bollocking from the players, manager and the fans would have gone mental at him.

I can watch that goal over and over again!
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 10:07:33 am »
Good choice and a great piece Steven. He was indeed far more than a squad player, he played an instrumental part in that era of success. He was just what we needed to add to a few decent players to edge us up a level in terms of performances brought about by coolness on the ball. He was always technically a brilliant footballer and had enjoyed a great career playing with some excellent players before coming to us. But I'm sure its part of his career that he will also never forget - he would never have foreseen that he'd make life-long friends with a city in the twilight of his footballing days.

When you look at the cost, contribution and attitude of the likes of Balotelli and then you look at Gary Mc, they are polarised. Fit, eager and respectful to his club at age 35.

Gary epitomised value for money & class and he delivered.

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 07:25:26 pm »
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. It was an easy choice for me when I knew I'd be writing one of these. I adored Gary Mac.

Offline voodoo billy

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: July 3, 2015, 12:59:18 pm »
15 years this week since Gary Mac signed.  Did this for TAW to mark the occasion.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/07/liverpool-hes-got-no-hair-but-we-dont-care/

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11 on: July 3, 2015, 01:19:30 pm »
15 years this week since Gary Mac signed.  Did this for TAW to mark the occasion.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/07/liverpool-hes-got-no-hair-but-we-dont-care/

15 years, wow, time flies.

I think his debut in pre-season, certainly one of his first games was in a 5-0 hammering of Parma that made me sit up and think we could be in for a fun season.

From memory he was sent off in one of our first games away at Arsenal (wrongly I should add) and before Christmas was used sparingly enough, remember a goal against Coventry and a few set piece assists but not a huge amount more. Then in the run in he scored that Everton free kick and then just couldn't stop. Proper talisman!

I was at that Ipswich game too for his finale. We battered them and when he came on the crowd were willing him to score, booing anyone else who shot or wouldn't pass to him when he was well placed. :D

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #12 on: July 3, 2015, 06:55:57 pm »
A fantastic signing.... Possibly the best free transfer we have ever made!

“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 6, 2016, 05:49:12 pm »
Golden Goal: Gary McAllister for Liverpool v Everton (2001)

Lovely piece on Gary McAllister's time at the club, his influence on his younger teammates and of course, his goal vs Everton to complement Steven's excellent write up from a few years ago (worth reading again too). Enjoy.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #15 on: October 6, 2016, 06:16:32 pm »
Golden Goal: Gary McAllister for Liverpool v Everton (2001)

Lovely piece on Gary McAllister's time at the club, his influence on his younger teammates and of course, his goal vs Everton to complement Steven's excellent write up from a few years ago (worth reading again too). Enjoy.

Thanks for posting. Saw this earlier and was going to do the same Hazell.  You're right - a lovely article

And from Carragher comes perhaps the most profound and poignant piece of praise: “If ever a player was born to play for Liverpool it was him. He fitted the bill as someone the fans could relate to, classy and cultured on the off the pitch and reminding the club of the working-class Scottish heritage that has been so influential in our history. No player has been at a club for such a short period but made such a lasting impression. It’s a tragedy for Liverpool they didn’t sign him 10 years earlier. The club would have won a lot more trophies during that time.”
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain