Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3306166 times)

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #17880 on: March 10, 2018, 11:39:00 am »
Well worth having a listen to Melissa Reddy on the Radio City Talk show yesterday (12-25 minutes in).

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17881 on: March 10, 2018, 11:44:45 am »
We've had Beer52 for ages now. Great service. Might be worth mentioning to people that you can choose either a mixture or just pale ales in your case. We had them coming for months as a mixed case and I absolutely despise porters, stouts and nut ales etc and found out about 6 months in that you can specify that you want just lighter ales. Makes the experience so much better if you're getting more of what you want.
Errr... yeah Beer52. My first foray into the world of IPAs. I just paid for delivery through TAW. Sent me some nibbles too. Nice one.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #17882 on: March 10, 2018, 11:47:15 am »
The slagging off of the Windsor and Eton breweries beer...  Slaggijg it off as Tory beer??

Absolutely justified... I live near it and it’s drunk by the most colossal fuckwit Tories
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17883 on: March 10, 2018, 06:27:21 pm »
Nice Pink, it was what I was needing.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #17884 on: March 11, 2018, 04:38:45 pm »

Came to post that almost word for word.

Up the reds, more fish to fry.
:D

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17885 on: March 11, 2018, 11:09:16 pm »
A couple of times when Ste Armstrong’s been on he’s talked about them losing the title at Anfield in May 92 and coming out thinking ‘I’m alright here, it’s coming, you can feel it’.  I keep coming back to that after yesterday.  I feel like that - finally - is where we’ve got to now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #17886 on: March 11, 2018, 11:11:32 pm »
A couple of times when Ste Armstrong’s been on he’s talked about them losing the title at Anfield in May 92 and coming out thinking ‘I’m alright here, it’s coming, you can feel it’.  I keep coming back to that after yesterday.  I feel like that - finally - is where we’ve got to now.

Changes “it’s” for “I’m” and I came out of Anfield that day thinking almost entirely the same.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17887 on: March 11, 2018, 11:26:04 pm »

Indeed, was a good one. Felt the same way as the contributors.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17888 on: March 11, 2018, 11:27:06 pm »

+1

We need to keep our players and continue to develop and build, but think we will, so absolutely agree.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17889 on: March 12, 2018, 04:40:21 am »
from memory weren’t there loads in tears leaving the ground that day, Ferguson’s ‘liverpool haven’t beaten a top six side at home’ comment bit him in the arse there as well as a fixture pile up

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17890 on: March 12, 2018, 01:24:51 pm »
Very sensible Pink. I've generally just avoided social media and am over it now. Long wait for Watford though.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #17891 on: March 12, 2018, 03:03:28 pm »
What's with the Mike Nevin vendetta towards Karius on twitter? It's just weird.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #17892 on: March 12, 2018, 04:05:59 pm »

Couldn't work out if he was just on a wind up.

Then again he wanted Joe Hart at the  club.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17893 on: March 12, 2018, 04:22:43 pm »

I stopped following him but had a look because of this, really don't understand it. Seemed a strange target after Saturday. However, he's had a season ticket for twenty years so he must be right.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #17894 on: March 12, 2018, 04:28:20 pm »

Absolute fucking bizarre.

Was he watching another game or what.
:D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #17895 on: March 12, 2018, 04:38:30 pm »
Not seen the comments but he was unlucky with the deflection for the second I thought.

2 shots on target, 2 goals felt like an unfortunate return to Autumn/last season but didn’t think Karius did a lot wrong in that game.

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17896 on: March 12, 2018, 05:25:05 pm »

Just had a look. The state of it  :-X
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17897 on: March 12, 2018, 06:06:21 pm »
Just had a look. The state of it  :-X
He's got to be parodying his online persona now, surely? Either that or he was just on the pop. To be fair, there's loads of idiots all over Twitter who post similar shit every time Karius or Lovren or whichever weekly whipping boy doesn't perform at a world class level, I just thought Nevin was better than that. Hopefully he's just taking the piss.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #17898 on: March 12, 2018, 06:10:58 pm »
Just catching up on a few shows. Really dislike how when asked for a MOTM so many people say ‘Oh he said him, so I’ll go for...’ or ‘ah I was gonna pick him but you said it so il have...’

Find it quite annoying now to be honest. It’s MOTM - just go with who you thought played the best.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17899 on: March 12, 2018, 06:25:06 pm »
Just catching up on a few shows. Really dislike how when asked for a MOTM so many people say ‘Oh he said him, so I’ll go for...’ or ‘ah I was gonna pick him but you said it so il have...’

Find it quite annoying now to be honest. It’s MOTM - just go with who you thought played the best.

It's usually after a very good performance when you want to praise them all in some way.

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17900 on: March 12, 2018, 06:34:53 pm »
I stopped following him but had a look because of this, really don't understand it. Seemed a strange target after Saturday. However, he's had a season ticket for twenty years so he must be right.
;D

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17901 on: March 12, 2018, 07:18:23 pm »
He's got to be parodying his online persona now, surely? Either that or he was just on the pop. To be fair, there's loads of idiots all over Twitter who post similar shit every time Karius or Lovren or whichever weekly whipping boy doesn't perform at a world class level, I just thought Nevin was better than that. Hopefully he's just taking the piss.

Get Joe Hart in.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17902 on: March 12, 2018, 08:27:20 pm »
Nevin has been ruined by the poster who called him Katie Hopkins.

Can’t be unseen.

---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Online courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #17903 on: March 12, 2018, 09:13:50 pm »

Haha yep. Season ticket holder rights!
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #17904 on: March 12, 2018, 09:46:27 pm »

Nevin should be experienced in the 'what we call history' shows and in no other form of any kind. His opinions on current players and the current state of the club are horrendous

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #17905 on: March 12, 2018, 09:51:40 pm »
Nevin should be experienced in the 'what we call history' shows and in no other form of any kind. His opinions on current players and the current state of the club are horrendous
he essentially is the epitome of what Robbo is always lambasting (twats on twitter)

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #17906 on: March 12, 2018, 09:52:35 pm »

Just an idiot with a weird vendetta.  Best ignored.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17907 on: March 12, 2018, 09:58:04 pm »
he essentially is the epitome of what Robbo is always lambasting (twats on twitter)
Wasn’t it Nevin kept going on about ‘people on twitter’ every week a while back, prompting dozens of posters on this thread to tear their hair out?  He’s probably just moving through the twitter stages very slowly.  We just have to wait ‘til he gets involved in a contrived gender storm and has to leave, and then maybe he’ll be back to normal.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17908 on: March 12, 2018, 10:31:42 pm »
That was Ian Salmon I thought. Didn't bother me but I remember a few commenting on it. :D

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #17909 on: March 13, 2018, 08:52:19 am »
I don't agree with what he's said but Mike Nevin is allowed his opinion. What he's saying about Klopp and Kairus will be representative of part of our fanbase. I know a few people who feel the same. Who have the same doubts about Klopp. Those feelings of doubt about certain players and the manager are there with genuine match going Reds that I know. People who love the club and have followed them for years and years. That doesn't make their opinion right but it is coming from people who genuinely love the club.

I still think Mike has a place on current Liverpool topics on TAW because he represents the feelings of part of our fanbase. A fanbase in (small) parts that is wary of the adulation that Klopp has be given by rival fans and the media. A part of the fanbase that has doubts about his ability, not to put great footballing sides together, but to get over the line and win things. Saturday was another near miss in some people's eyes. Another missed chance to put a marker down. Another piece of evidence (or ammunition) to re-inforce their doubts that Klopp isn't all he's cracked up to be.

Like I said, I don't agree with him but those feelings are out there within our supporter base. And not just from meffs on Twitter. The problem I have with Mike is that he's become very scattergun in what he's saying on TAW or Twitter. A couple of his shouts have been mad recently. Sign Joe Hart, buy Mahrez (over Klopp's head) for 80M, blaming Karius after Saturday. He comes across like he's shooting from the hip and looking for anything to pin blame on Klopp and/or the players. He loses credibility with those things and it dilutes the opinion, or doubts, he may have about Klopp or the way the club is run. Long term he runs the risk of completely alienating himself from a large proportion of the TAW listeners and turning people off shows where he's contributing.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:20:27 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #17910 on: March 13, 2018, 09:23:26 am »
I don't agree with Mike on Karius. At all. I disagree with his views on Klopp too for the record. But TAW is meant to be a reasonable reflection of the fanbase and Mike is a big part of that. Not only do I personally want to hear different opinions but as someone who used to go fairly regularly and now doesn't go at all - it makes it genuinely a lot more like going the match with him on because there's always a Mike.

I completely get that people disagree with him - but don't see why that should be a comment on The Anfield Wrap - unless what you want is a load of people reflecting your own views which is 1) Impossible and 2) Boring.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17911 on: March 13, 2018, 09:49:02 am »
TAW should have a wide variety of views to represent the whole fanbase, disagreements and debate is healthy for the shows. We know we have the knee-jerk, permanently outraged yer da types and Nevin represents them. You can’t knock him for his knowledge on the history shows though, his recall on them is brilliant.

Karius shouts at this point are just bizarre though, barely put a foot wrong since he’s come back into the team. It’s almost like some have made their minds up he’s crap from a few sporadic games last season and the pride would take a hit to admit they were wrong.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:51:10 am by OneTouchFooty »

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17912 on: March 13, 2018, 10:13:58 am »
TAW should have a wide variety of views to represent the whole fanbase
Should it, though?  I’d say it should have a variety of views because that makes for interesting listening, but if a section of the fanbase is boring I’m quite happy for them to be ignored.  Not sure we’re actually disagreeing here, just coming at it from different angles.
Karius shouts at this point are just bizarre though, barely put a foot wrong since he’s come back into the team. It’s almost like some have made their minds up he’s crap from a few sporadic games last season and the pride would take a hit to admit they were wrong.
Ha yes, it’s like he went and got a Karius Out tattoo and is now painted into a corner of having to keep justifying it.

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #17913 on: March 13, 2018, 10:23:43 am »
Actually at the stage now where if i see Nevin is on a show i just wont listen. Which is fine as there is more than enough shows without him. Reminds me of when they used to have that tit Jim Boardman on.

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17914 on: March 13, 2018, 01:46:55 pm »
I don't agree with what he's said but Mike Nevin is allowed his opinion. What he's saying about Klopp and Kairus will be representative of part of our fanbase. I know a few people who feel the same. Who have the same doubts about Klopp. Those feelings of doubt about certain players and the manager are there with genuine match going Reds that I know. People who love the club and have followed them for years and years. That doesn't make their opinion right but it is coming from people who genuinely love the club.

I still think Mike has a place on current Liverpool topics on TAW because he represents the feelings of part of our fanbase. A fanbase in (small) parts that is wary of the adulation that Klopp has be given by rival fans and the media. A part of the fanbase that has doubts about his ability, not to put great footballing sides together, but to get over the line and win things. Saturday was another near miss in some people's eyes. Another missed chance to put a marker down. Another piece of evidence (or ammunition) to re-inforce their doubts that Klopp isn't all he's cracked up to be.

Like I said, I don't agree with him but those feelings are out there within our supporter base. And just from meffs on Twitter. The problem I have with Mike is that he's become very scattergun in what he's saying on TAW or Twitter. A couple of his shouts have been mad recently. Sign Joe Hart, buy Mahrez (over Klopp's head) for 80M, blaming Karius after Saturday. He comes across like he's shooting from the hip and looking for anything to pin blame on Klopp and/or the players. He loses credibility with those things and it dilutes the opinion, or doubts, he may have about Klopp or the way the club is run. Long term he runs the risk of completely alienating himself from a large proportion of the TAW listeners and turning people off shows where he's contributing.

Sums up my feelings exactly. Makes for more entertaining podcasts to have a dissenting opinion I think. The recent stuff about Karius is a bit weird though, seems he's made his mind up and is just sticking to it regardless of performances now.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #17915 on: March 13, 2018, 02:04:48 pm »
Nev has become what he himself despised in 2010. IE: Those who were looking for any excuse to have a go at Rafa (Klopp) without using the rational side of their brain.

He just needs to get over that hump.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #17916 on: March 13, 2018, 02:33:16 pm »
Nev has become what he himself despised in 2010. IE: Those who were looking for any excuse to have a go at Rafa (Klopp) without using the rational side of their brain.

He just needs to get over that hump.

The sensible people who I know that have doubts about Klopp were massive fans of Rafa too.

I think there's a sense with some supporters that Rafa was hounded out of the club by the media, aided and abetted by some of our fans. This was a man who was a winner. A manager that put a CL and FA Cup trophy on the table and got very close to winning others. Being abused by sections of our fans who swallowed the rhetoric of the media because Rafa didn't play ball and had a bit of a spiky character on occasions.

Fast forward 7-8 seasons and we have Klopp in charge. Someone who is universally loved by the media and respected by oppositions fans. There's also been a tendency for our fans to look at him as a saviour. To elevate him above what he has achieved so far. That will rub some fans up the wrong way. You have a manager who wins trophies and is hounded by the media. You have a manager who has won nothing for the club being lauded. In fact a manager who you could argue has fallen short at the crucial moments (League Cup, Europa League). It's not that difficult to see why some fans might rally against that.

I'm playing devil's advocate in the above a little but it's the sense that I get from certain fans I know. Some of them think Klopp is doing a good job. Not necessarily as good as he's portrayed as doing. Maybe Mike feels the same.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #17917 on: March 13, 2018, 03:13:01 pm »
The sensible people who I know that have doubts about Klopp were massive fans of Rafa too.

I think there's a sense with some supporters that Rafa was hounded out of the club by the media, aided and abetted by some of our fans. This was a man who was a winner. A manager that put a CL and FA Cup trophy on the table and got very close to winning others. Being abused by sections of our fans who swallowed the rhetoric of the media because Rafa didn't play ball and had a bit of a spiky character on occasions.

Fast forward 7-8 seasons and we have Klopp in charge. Someone who is universally loved by the media and respected by oppositions fans. There's also been a tendency for our fans to look at him as a saviour. To elevate him above what he has achieved so far. That will rub some fans up the wrong way. You have a manager who wins trophies and is hounded by the media. You have a manager who has won nothing for the club being lauded. In fact a manager who you could argue has fallen short at the crucial moments (League Cup, Europa League). It's not that difficult to see why some fans might rally against that.

I'm playing devil's advocate in the above a little but it's the sense that I get from certain fans I know. Some of them think Klopp is doing a good job. Not necessarily as good as he's portrayed as doing. Maybe Mike feels the same.

This is a very reasonable explanation of what I think Mike and some others feel - however my perspective on this is, so what? We finally have a manager who the media isn't having a snide dig at every week, and we're supposed to be unhappy about this? So he's elevated to a lofty position earlier than other managers? GOOD. Means we aren't fucking distracted with the shit we had with Rafa, Kenny, even Rodgers - constantly defending them against accusations that he's lost his marbles, or is a fat spanish waiter, too long out of the game, a fraud.

All that bullshit has gone and for some reason we're... a bit annoyed that the media have gone a bit overboard in praise of Klopp because Klopp is a bit more energetic and likeable. Whats the problem exactly here? The media went overboard on Mourinho for years, and every English manager. Its about time we didn't have that distraction off the field. I just don't understand the issue. He's been great for us so far, we're playing amazing football most of the time, scoring bucketloads of goals. In his first season we were 90 mins away from two trophies. And now we're in the QF of the Champions League, look odds-on for Top 4, and have a bright future.

Its fucking weird.
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #17918 on: March 13, 2018, 03:40:00 pm »

This is exactly how i feel. I loved Rafa and resented all those who supported having him ousted.
I distinctly recall someone saying here on this forum that we don't realize how good we have it and that we will fall into the abyss for 7-8 seasons if we don't support Rafa. Many on here wouldn't listen and rejoiced when he was gone, despite the evidence that he was improving us year on year.

So it's no surprise to me that we massively underachieved for those 7-8 years (bar the odd exception).

I still am pissed with many people over what happened then. But i cannot allow these feelings to cloud how i judge a new manager, especially one who begins to build something again, just like Rafa did (albeit not (yet) as successful)

It should be viewed positively that Klopp has the media on his side, so long as he isn't pandering to them. That's one less thorn in our side. Klopp has achieved many things so far, but it's a fair point that he often falls at the final hurdle so far. The point is that he is improving this team immensely and getting us into positions to achieve the things we crave.

Once we witness sustainable improvement, we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the manager. He's obviously doing something right, and in this case, a lot of things right.

But let's not pretend that many of these folks are actually thinking this through. They are mostly spiteful and knee jerk opinions, born of the same type of tripe we seen in 2010. Calls for Xabi and Steve to be put in charge are proof of this. Unwarranted criticism of players is proof of this. Finding any and every opportunity to fault Klopp, just like some did with Rafa, is proof of this.

I get that you are.

If people don't fully believe in what Klopp's doing, then they should at least to come up with a reasonable argument, as knee-jerk reactions earn very little credit.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17919 on: March 13, 2018, 04:15:21 pm »
T

Appreciate you're playing Devil's advocate, but this whole thing about some fans being rubbed up the wrong way by a perceived treatment of Klopp is frankly bizarre and smacks of people looking for something to moan about.

I was a massive Rafa fan, sickened by some of the treatment of him by the media, but even more sickened that some so called fans proved themselves incapable of independent thought and made it easier for him to be sacked.

Again, I know this isn't you - I like your posts, but this view of Klopp as a saviour / elevated above what he's achieved so far is a great example of the sort of polarised views that dominate many debates. It may be true of some people, but I would be willing to bet that a large majority think neither of these things and simply see Klopp as a really good fit for the club, who given support represents the best chance of success since Rafa's prime. That is a very different thing to viewing him as a saviour or elevating him beyond his achievements. It also doesn't mean that I don't sometimes question certain decisions, but again doing that is a different thing to publicly looking for reasons to slate a manager

I think Klopp's achievements have been absolutely fine. Yes a trophy would have been nice, but I think it would be wrong to start judging a manager for losing 2 finals, when we have first hand experience of how finals can be won and lost in the strangest circumstances.
But 2 finals with Rodgers squad in his first part season, then a top 4 finish, then looking well placed for top 4 whilst reaching the last 8 of the European Cup is continued progress.

As Byrnee said, it's fucking weird, and as Conman said, rather than coming up with stupid kneejerk arguments like putting Gerrard in charge if Klopp doesn't win anything, come up with some better thought out critiques - or alternatively say nothing.