Author Topic: Luis Garcia  (Read 169081 times)

Online stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Luis Garcia
« Reply #440 on: October 23, 2010, 09:57:21 pm »
"Garcia is 32 - Not sure about bringing him back."

Sorry, got a bee in me bonnet here.

Alright, if fit:

He's a better footballer than Kuyt
He's a better footballer than Babel
He's a better footballer than Jovanovich
He's a better footballer than Miereles
He's a better footballer than Maxi
He's a better footballer than Lucas
He's a better footballer than Poulsen and a better tackler
He's a better footballer than Kuyt

and in the top handfull of creative players (and, boy have we been desperately short of them) we've had this century.

I'd have him back tomorrow and I'm sure all the guys who were his teamates would as well.

Online stjohns

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: October 23, 2010, 09:58:38 pm »
Sorry Dirky, you didn't deserve two mentions there.

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: October 23, 2010, 10:00:42 pm »
I think what I liked most about Luis was that he played with such joy, in an age where so many players just seem to give a shit about their bank balance first and foremost. Definitely one of my favourite LFC players, I was so sad when he left.

Still remember the letter he wrote to the fans, absolute class, and the interviews he did with someone on here (AnotherSpanishFan maybe?), was great to read them.
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Hannibal

• Kopite
« Reply #443 on: October 23, 2010, 10:01:32 pm »
He really was brilliant for us, a top class big game player who delivered when it counted and never hid.  High footballing IQ as well like kamel said, always followed up the play, right place right time etc.

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #444 on: October 23, 2010, 10:12:10 pm »
Bring him back!
We won it 5 times........

Online stjohns

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: October 23, 2010, 10:24:02 pm »
"Rafa's first 2 major signings were Alonso and Garcia- what a pair of signings they were eh? Both legends in my eyes."

Aye Baz and Rafa's two biggest mistakes were both of them leaving IMO.

In fairness, if Luis had to leave to facillitate the signing of Nando that's just further condemnation of h&g's ownership

and clearly wasn't Rafa's fault.

Offline garcia-alonso

• Kopite
« Reply #446 on: October 23, 2010, 10:25:50 pm »
Bring him back!

You think he's a Roy kind of player, then??
He got an amazing reception at the testemonial. I was really pleased for the lad.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #447 on: November 7, 2010, 10:39:34 am »
Luis on rumours and Chelsea

If there was a definitive list highlighting the key contributors to Liverpool's recent history, then Luis Garcia's entry would go something like this: a sangria drinking Spaniard with a propensity for the spectacular.

During a highly successful three year spell in L4 the former Barcelona man produced a catalogue of great moments - none more so than when he went head-to-head with Chelsea.

Back in 2005 the Spaniard's goal left the Blues' hopes of Champions League glory in tatters and 12 months later he extinguished their 'double dream' with one of the finest FA Cup goals of modern times.

Such heroics have quite rightly immortalised Garcia in Anfield folklore while his knack for breaking Chelsea hearts will no doubt leave the Londoners just pleased that his name is absent from this afternoon's teamsheet.

For the man himself, the moments stand out as two of the greatest of his career and it is perhaps unsurprising that he is inevitably asked to revisit them whenever the sides go head-to-head.

"They are up there with the biggest matches I have ever played in. They were semi-finals and we went on to lift both trophies so they were huge victories for us," he says as we caught up with him for the first time since his summer move to Greek outfit, Panathinaikos.

"The Champions League game in 2005 was unbelievable for both the players and the fans. We all pulled together and managed to come through against a very strong Chelsea side.

"I can't tell you how tough that was. We scored early and that gave everyone a huge lift, but in a strange way, that made it a bit harder because there was still so long to go.

"Chelsea pushed and made a lot of chances towards the end and the whole of Anfield was holding its breath. When the full-time whistle finally went it was an incredible release, pure euphoria."

The last four showdown with Jose Mourinho's champions-elect is now considered to be one of Anfield's greatest ever European nights.

It is an occasion that every one of the 42,529 spectators packed inside L4 will remember forever, but what about Garcia?

What does he recall about the build-up to one of the most famous goals the Kop end has ever witnessed?

"Not a lot to be honest," he says with a laugh. "I actually remember Eidur Gudjohnsen's miss at the very end more clearly.

"When Milan (Baros) went down I was sure it was going to be a penalty but I played to the whistle and I definitely saw the ball go in.

"I've seen it so many times on television too. I was convinced it was over the line and the only thing on my mind was to go and celebrate.

"People have said to me we would have had a penalty and Cech would have been sent off anyway, but I think at that moment scoring the goal was the best thing for us. It lifted the crowd and the players to an incredible level. Who knows whether we would have scored the penalty?

"As far as I'm concerned a goal is a goal and nothing will ever change that.

"I've spoken to Liverpool fans in different places around the world since then and all of them remember me for that goal. That's fantastic because it was such a big moment in my career and my life. It's something I'll never forget. I'm very proud I was part of that team that had such wonderful success."

If it wasn't for Garcia's opportunism that evening, then the incredible events that transpired inside the Ataturk Stadium on May 25, 2005 may never have materialised.

The remarkable comeback that saw Liverpool recover from a 3-0 deficit to triumph on penalties is the stuff of legend, but if the Panathinaikos forward had had his way, there may have been one or two alterations to the script.

"I really wanted to take one of the penalties in the shoot-out," he says wistfully.

"At the end of extra-time I went straight over to Rafa to let him know I was ready and I was really disappointed when he turned to me and said, 'No, but if it goes beyond five kicks, you will take the sixth one.'

"I even knew where I wanted to put it too. I was going to stick it to the goalkeeper's left, but the boss had made up his mind. Like I say, I was disappointed but the all-important thing was that we went on to win."

The victory in Istanbul raised the level of expectation heading into the following season and after a difficult start, Liverpool soon found themselves in the hunt for more silverware.

This time Rafael Benitez had his eyes on the FA Cup - but once again Chelsea would be the side standing in the way of a showpiece final in Cardiff.

"It was another unbelievable game," enthuses Garcia.

"It was a great atmosphere and it was great to see our fans turn out in force to celebrate at Old Trafford. It was a special moment.

"It was a very important game for us because Chelsea were playing well and they had a great record against us in the Premier League, winning almost all of the games we played. So it was really nice to beat them.

"I think you always remember the best goals you have scored in your career and that one at Old Trafford is definitely one of mine. It was great to see the volley hit the net, especially given its importance as it proved to be the winner.

"We played them so many times in the three years I was at Liverpool. I've never experienced anything like that.

"Nowadays they have a lot of different players to the ones that I came up against, but one thing hasn't changed - they are still a very strong team.

"They have made a great start in the Barclays Premier League and in Europe.  They have been playing the same way for many years now and that is one of the secrets to their success."

Liverpool head into today's encounter with Chelsea looking to make it four wins out of four following a recent upturn in their fortunes.

Garcia believes that on their day, the Reds remain one of the few sides in England capable of matching Carlo Ancelotti's men and feels their recent improvement has given them a vital ingredient that is necessary when it comes to winning matches at the highest level.

"I watched Liverpool's win over Bolton last week and it wasn't a great game," he says.

"But right now, the most important thing is to get as many points as possible and get back up towards the top of the table. For me, there's no doubt that they will be up there challenging for the European places soon.

"I think confidence will play a big factor. They have won a few games in a row now and are showing faith in each other. They are getting better and if they can continue to pick up good results over the next four or five games then they will show that they can still be a force.

"They have a new manager and some new players so it has taken some time for us to see the real Liverpool. I think they will keep improving because you have some great players in that dressing room.

"I still keep in touch with some of the lads and they told me that Roy Hodgson is a very good manager and they are very happy with him. They feel it is only a matter of time before they start winning games regularly.

"Obviously today's match with Chelsea is going to be a real test, but anything can happen and I think it's too tough to call. Hopefully Liverpool will have a good game and get an early goal to give them the belief to go on and take the three points. I'll be watching from my home in Greece and try to support them from there."

It is obvious from Garcia's tone that he has a deep, unwavering affection for Liverpool Football Club.

It remains a source of frustration for him that the injury he sustained during a Carling Cup defeat at home to Arsenal back in January 2007 proved to be his last competitive game for the Reds.

The rupture to the anterior cruciate ligament of his right knee ultimately meant he was ruled out of the Champions League final in Athens and robbed him of the chance to say a fitting farewell to the fans. 

"To leave Liverpool the way I did was very hard for me," he admits.

"The injury denied me the chance to say goodbye properly. That's why the Jamie Carragher testimonial I played in recently was so important to me. It meant I could say farewell to the fans that supported me so much.

"I'd like to have had the chance play some more games. We got to the Champions League final again that year and I had played in a few of the matches on the way to the final. It was disappointing but I'd love to have been on the field in Athens, you never know what could have happened."

Garcia's stunning goal in Carra's testimonial triumph over Everton reminded supporters of the sheer genius he is capable of producing.

The Kop's unrelenting rendition of the Spaniard's Sangria song was one of the highlights of the afternoon and was clear evidence that the bond between both player and fans alike remains as strong as ever.

So, has he ever been tempted to pursue an emotional return on a permanent basis? And did he hear of the rumours regarding a shock move back to Liverpool last year?

"Well it was brilliant to hear the fans sing that song again. I can't put it into words. It was unbelievable to come back to see the fans and to play in that wonderful stadium again," he says. "I enjoyed scoring the goal and it was a perfect way to come back, especially as we beat Everton too!

"But no, there was nothing in the rumours. Well, nobody spoke to me or my agent about it anyway. Of course, I'd have loved that to have happened but I think it was something that was just made up by the press.

"I feel very good now. I'm fit and I'm playing well for Panathinkaikos. I'm very happy because I'm enjoying my football again and I'm playing in the Champions League. Things are good here in Greece.

"Now we just need Liverpool to keep improving and everything will be perfect. I still think they can have a good season. Fingers crossed they can get the result against Chelsea today."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/luis-on-rumours-and-chelsea
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #448 on: November 7, 2010, 10:57:03 am »
Great interview from Luis, there is no doubt he will most be remembered for that goal against Chelsea, but he scored so many important goals for us. The beauty against Juventus, but the one I remember the most, was the header against Anderlecht, which was absoulutely superb, for a small guy the height he got on it and also the power made it a stunning effort.

Funnily enough, his best performance, I still think was the derby, when we had made all the subsituations were 10 men down, and despite being injured, and being kicked to death by the Blues, he played on. Still can't believe the piece in the Echo about him "making the most of it", when he got kicked into the air.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: November 7, 2010, 11:01:02 am »
His goal against Juve was the best Luis moment for me - still brings a lump to my throat when I see it.  Absolute magic.

There seems to be almost universal praise for Luis now - I can't help but think there's some revisionism going on here by some people... I used to spend most of my time defending Luis when he was actually at the club.

Offline FernandoTourettes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: November 7, 2010, 11:51:25 am »
Luis was a magician. So unpredictable, we need some of his creativity in the team and squad at the moment. Paceco could be the one but I actually think Suso is a more similar player.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #451 on: November 7, 2010, 01:04:43 pm »
Game changer. We need more of them.

Loved the little fella. ;D
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline red_pete

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #452 on: November 7, 2010, 03:59:57 pm »
His goal against Juve was the best Luis moment for me - still brings a lump to my throat when I see it.  Absolute magic.

There seems to be almost universal praise for Luis now - I can't help but think there's some revisionism going on here by some people... I used to spend most of my time defending Luis when he was actually at the club.
Yep - revisionism is all too common.

But I agree with the Juve goal.  It was, and still is astonishing.  The confidence, technique, and sheer audacity to try it, and then almost stunned silence as Anfield tried to comprehend what had just happened, and then total fucking joy.

For me it was the moment we arrived back in the big time. ;D ;D ;D

Online rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #453 on: November 7, 2010, 04:02:25 pm »
Loved and still love him

Could do with him now, with Torres *drool*

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Doc Evil

• PunjabEvo - "Goin' Madrid lad? Gorranyspares?"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kelvin McKenzie is a c*nt. SOS 7175
« Reply #454 on: November 7, 2010, 04:06:36 pm »
With Cisse, El Zhar and Leto if I'm not mistaken. Maybe even Plessis too!

So yeah, keep an eye on Panathinaikos.
No Garcia, Plessis according to this.

http://eurorivals.net/squad/panathinaikos.html
"You going to Madrid lad? Gorrany spares?"

Offline withgreataplomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: November 7, 2010, 04:14:44 pm »
Ninis is a super wee player for Panathinikos
"There are places I remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all"

Offline GeeFJay

• aka 'Gazvinder Singh - Serial stalker.' Subject of a staffroom restraining order.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #456 on: November 8, 2010, 03:43:39 am »
Luis Garcia, he drinks Sangria,
He came from Barca to bring us joy,
he's five foot seven,
he's football heaven,
please don't take my Luis away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWFnRD0zhGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYYwQY9s0hA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IEj0YsFH0U - was this one over the line enough for you, you arrogant gobshite?

European Champion.
Boss lad.

i look back at the original post and then remember his stint at carra's testimonial, you cannot but love the guy!
http://www.quidco.com/user/745087/

www.misternobody.co.uk

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

banner stolen on pre-season tour 2009 'liverpool fc europes finest five star establishment'

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #457 on: November 8, 2010, 04:07:28 am »
No Garcia, Plessis according to this.

http://eurorivals.net/squad/panathinaikos.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panathinaikos_F.C.   more accurate mate

Garcia, Plessis, Leto, Cisse all there.

El Zhar is at PAOK, Nemeth at Olympiacos (just had his first start too, wish that lad the best of luck in his career even if he has to put up with playing alongside Riera). Dunno if Itandje is still on loan at Kavala or wasting his last year of LFC contract on the couch at home.

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #458 on: July 9, 2011, 11:39:54 pm »
Legend of a player, Luis Garcia has recently signed for Mexican side Puebla FC. His tenth club in 12 years, crazy he's never held down a place anywhere, certainly had/has the talent.

Offline WTF?

• Anny Roader
  • These go to 11
« Reply #459 on: July 9, 2011, 11:46:14 pm »
Frustrating as hell when he played for us. Would constantly give the ball away, but would then pop up with moments of pure genius and sublime goals.

Then went and tarnished it a bit for me with a spot of diving when he played for Atletico against us in the Champs League.

Despite all that, I still love the little guy. Good luck to you, fella. You brought us joy!

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #460 on: July 9, 2011, 11:47:47 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSpCPgxx7p4 First goal of the video, just sheer brilliance
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #461 on: July 9, 2011, 11:49:32 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSpCPgxx7p4 First goal of the video, just sheer brilliance
Never seen a header so perfect, remember watching that replay in awe of what I had just seen

Offline Tony Drago

• Main Stander
« Reply #462 on: July 9, 2011, 11:53:03 pm »
Possibly the best 2 footed striker of a ball I've ever seen.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: July 9, 2011, 11:53:33 pm »
Great player and a great man/family man and he loves the LFC family and our city like very few foreigners that have been here.

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: July 9, 2011, 11:55:41 pm »

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #465 on: July 10, 2011, 12:01:09 am »
I penned a piece about little Luis recently.
http://killerpass.co.uk/2011/07/04/luis-garcia-keeping-tabs-on-a-cult-hero/
Great piece mate, can I recommend a few share buttons below your posts?!

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: July 10, 2011, 12:05:37 am »
Great piece mate, can I recommend a few share buttons below your posts?!

Cheers. I'll see what I can do.

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #467 on: July 10, 2011, 12:07:37 am »
Cheers. I'll see what I can do.
Obviously only if you think it's ideal, would attract more people if users start using them but may decrease the number of comments on your actual blog!

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: July 10, 2011, 12:10:49 am »
Obviously only if you think it's ideal, would attract more people if users start using them but may decrease the number of comments on your actual blog!

It's something I never really thought of, but makes perfect sense. Quite why I hadn't thought of it is beyond me!

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: July 10, 2011, 12:38:01 am »
The lad always played with a smile for us. An infectious happiness about him that you couldn't help but get caught up in. He had the balls to try the sublime and so many times it worked. Love the lad. He'll always be a special player to me.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #470 on: July 10, 2011, 12:40:16 am »
I penned a piece about little Luis recently.
http://killerpass.co.uk/2011/07/04/luis-garcia-keeping-tabs-on-a-cult-hero/

Lovely piece about Luis.  Still one of my fave players.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #471 on: July 10, 2011, 01:30:28 am »
That goal at old trafford was great. He made loads of mistakes that game then BAM
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline mildale

• Mildly Jealous of a custom title
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: July 10, 2011, 01:34:08 am »
One of my favourite players from my lifetime. Love the little guy.
www.twitter.com/mildale89

Oh and dont use Mars bars as sex tools. Took me ages to get it all out.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #473 on: July 10, 2011, 01:48:28 am »
Love him. Fucking love him.

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: July 10, 2011, 01:55:53 am »
Such a boss little player. Love him.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #475 on: July 10, 2011, 01:57:44 am »
Quite pleasin' on the eyes.

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: July 10, 2011, 03:28:19 am »
So sad when he left. He reminded me of Kenny the way he played the game with a smile. In fact that would be amazing, if we had Luis playing and Kenny coaching, the sheer amount of combined happiness between them if Luis scored would be phenomenal!!
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: July 10, 2011, 03:41:34 am »
Was devastated when he left, fucking love the man.

Miss him frustrating me then creating a moment of genius all of a sudden, his song was boss as well.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: July 10, 2011, 04:03:54 am »
He blew hot and cold.  When he was on form, he was class.   But, when he was off, he was really off.  He was a match winner though, something we need in the side. 

Offline singaporekopred

• Main Stander
« Reply #479 on: July 10, 2011, 10:46:32 am »
I'm really missing this little lad, who always played with a smile. Still remembered his open letter to us after he left. Though it was only 3 seasons he was here, he has brought me lots of wonderful memories.