Author Topic: Luis Garcia Letter  (Read 35867 times)

Offline The Finn

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Luis Garcia Letter
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2007, 04:35:26 pm »
How fucking class is that?

It seems like he should have been here longer than 3 years to manage the impact he has. Some massive goals scored for this club, but I think it's his class that puts him firmly in the hearts of supporters. He didn't need to write this letter, we understood his situation, but I'm glad he did.

Offline Egg Shaped Fred

• Main Stander
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2007, 04:35:30 pm »
Top Footballer, Top Bloke.

Thanks Luis.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2007, 04:35:58 pm »
Excuse me, I have something in my eye....
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2007, 04:36:50 pm »
True gentleman. Game is lacking such characters.

All the best Luis.

Offline phoenixblood

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2007, 04:37:53 pm »
lump in my throat!!!!

great goals, and i really miss moaning and whinging at him when he was being at his frustrating best.

good yer luis!
Torres is fucking rubbish,played some decent football 2 years ago and nothing since!  If we buy him,we'll end up paying ridiculous amount of money on some overhyped shite of a player instead of focusing our attention(and money) on some truly world class strikers!!!

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2007, 04:37:54 pm »
Little legend

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2007, 04:38:29 pm »
Excuse me, I have something in my eye....

Thats ye eyeball mate :D....Cheer Luis. Top bloke

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2007, 04:39:41 pm »
Fucking class act for writing that letter

Forever remembered - forever part of this club

YNWA Luis
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
Re: Luis Garcia - What a bloke
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2007, 04:40:12 pm »
Nice gesture - How many friggin letters did he write?
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline LFCScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • Sign him up!
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2007, 04:40:14 pm »
If only there was more players like him.

Legend!!!

All the best Luis lad.
PSN: Wattyy2010

Offline The dude abides

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2007, 04:40:23 pm »
Luis was always a top bloke.

mind you, it's great to see how his english has come on so well in these past few weeks since going back to spain.   :D

Offline Scully

• Clunge Bag
  • Legacy Fan
  • Libpool born and bred.
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2007, 04:42:30 pm »
6 8 refs to him as a legend already.

So that makes him as good as Liddell, St John, Callaghan, Hughes, Smith, keegan, Toshack, Dalglish, Rush, Hansen, Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge, Folwer et al.

A good player and lovely fella with great spirit but lets not over use the L word.  He was here for three years, 1 European Cup which he played a big part in, and sometimes was fairly average.

Still, a nice gesture from a good man.
Every Trefoil has a story

In the 1980's UK cities saw the terraces full of three stripes as the football 'Casuals' developed an obsession for trainers and styles such as Rom, Forest Hills and Samba.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2007, 04:43:20 pm »
Great footballer hope him all the best in the future !

Offline Seesay

• Kopite
  • Yes, I say.
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2007, 04:44:38 pm »
6 8 refs to him as a legend already. So that makes him as good as Liddell, St John, Callaghan, Hughes, Smith, keegan, Toshack, Dalglish, Rush, Hansen, Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge, Folwer et al. A good player and lovely fella with great spirit but lets not over use the L word.

Luis Garcia. Legend.

You'll be missed!
Plum.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2007, 04:45:00 pm »
Gotta say there were times when he frustrated the hell out of me.

He did give us all a few wonderful memories however, and lets face it. He didnt need to do this.

Top bloke and he seems like a really genuine guy as well.

Hope it clicks for him at Atletico, he deserves it. Be great if we could meet Atletico in some form while he's there, be a great chance to show our appreciation.

(are atletico in the uefa cup this season? Maybe Super cup meeting next season after we both raise the european cups aloft? - in an ideal world at least).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:59:13 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2007, 04:45:35 pm »
 :'(  Dont half miss him, one of my favs the last few years.

Nice one Luis and good luck in the future.
Your welcome back at Anfield anytime.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline The Finn

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2007, 04:46:33 pm »
Someone post the classic picture of Rafa giving Luis the evil eye in training, with Luis giving it the sad puppy dog frown.

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2007, 04:46:44 pm »
great read.  Wish him all the best in the world.

A class act.

Offline The_Cutter

• It must be Summer the TdF is on and The Cutter appears!
  • Legacy Fan
  • And then I went.
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2007, 04:46:56 pm »
Top top bloke, hope he does well in Spain. Someone needs to arrange a friendly with Atletico and quick.  :D

6 8 refs to him as a legend already.

So that makes him as good as Liddell, St John, Callaghan, Hughes, Smith, keegan, Toshack, Dalglish, Rush, Hansen, Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge, Folwer et al.

A good player and lovely fella with great spirit but lets not over use the L word.  He was here for three years, 1 European Cup which he played a big part in, and sometimes was fairly average.

Still, a nice gesture from a good man.
Get out, this is a Luis love-in, no room for sensible posts.   :P
"A story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end . . . but not necessarily in that order." Jean-Luc Godard

'I'm sorry Wayne. Please finish your cider.'

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2007, 04:47:28 pm »

He did give us all a few wonderful memories however, and lets face it. He didnt need to do this.

Hope it clicks for him at Atletico, he deserves it. Be great if we could meet Atletico in some form while he's there, be a great chance to show our appreciation.

(are atletico in the uefa cup this season? Maybe Super cup meeting next season after we both raise the european cups aloft? - in an ideal world at least).

we heard you the first time ;)
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2007, 04:48:16 pm »
What was the source of the letter?

Great flair player, but it was a shame he ran hot and cold so much :(

Good luck at your new club lad!

I've never bought into the opinion that Garcia was an inconsistant player - I really don't think he was.

Throughout his career at Anfield he was asked to cover many positions, attacking midfield all across, left midfield, right midfield, in the hole, up front.  He was often used as a utility player in many various positions, and this did not always make the best out of his attributes.

A second point is that we've had an ever-changing squad since he arrived, and a lot of injuries too.  He's probably played a lot of games in which, had other players been fit, he would not have appeared.

What i'm trying to say is that on European nights, or against high quality footballing sides, he'd have been in my first eleven any day, and you think back to Garcia's great performances, and, but for the herioc hobble through the Merseyside derby, they all came against top sides, or in crucial games in terms of what the result meant (although I guess the derby counts there too).  Garcia came up with the goods more often than not in these games, and in that sense was a reliable player.  Consistant.

On the other hand, Luis was often asked to play when we had injuries, and/or a lack of depth, whether it be covering for Kewell, Nunez, Ciise, Gerrard, etc, he's been called upon in a lot of games to step in and do a job.  Unfortunately, we do have to play the Bolton's, Portsmouth's, Boro's of this world, and in my opinion it was poor performances (not for lack of effort might I add) in these matches, against tough, organised, physical opposition, that brought upon Luis Garcia this 'inconsistant' label.  But then surely anyone could see, away at Bolton, that Luis was gonna get no time on the ball, was gonna get floored about 7 times, and was only in the side covering for ____?

Surely the fact that it was very easy to predict days when Garcia would shine, or otherwise, should rubbish this suggestion that Luis Garcia was an inconsistant footballer?  Fair enough, if we played him in every game of the season, then it'd look that way, but then I think the same could be said of many players (Crouch and Sissoko possibly being good examples).

In my eyes Luis was never an inconsistant player, and was largely dependable and reliable.  If we'd had a bigger squad in past seasons, then Garcia may have started 10 less games, but he'd have been recognised a damn lot more across Europe as one of the finest attacking midfields on the continent.  Simao, Kaka, Xavi, et al, are all excellent footballers - but have they ever played away at Bolton, or at Goodison?

Aside from the above, Luis Garcia has once again proved what a top bloke he is.  I don't know whether or not he knew, at Anfield against Charlton, during the lap of honour, that he would be leaving to head to Madrid - we certainly didn't know he was on his way.  Either way, despite many frustrations, Luis did know of the bond he had with the fans, and he'd have reminded himself this as he walked the pitch that day, whether his thoughts were with Robbie and Jerzy, or if he had his own goodbyes in his head, he knew, and knows he's special to us, and he'll be remembered for many, many years to come, as one of our best loved players of all time.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2007, 04:49:26 pm »
Fantastic, it doesnt make up for the fact he is no longer at the club, but at least we know  he is still thinking of us

He certainly shook the Kop (and the Annie Rd too )
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2007, 04:49:54 pm »
Top top bloke, hope he does well in Spain. Someone needs to arrange a friendly with Atletico and quick.  :D
Get out, this is a Luis love-in, no room for sensible posts.   :P

What makes a legend? I'd say winning a European Cup and contributing a great deal to that win along the road to Istanbul gives him legendary status. Every player on that pitch in the final is a legend in my eyes. It's not just about ability or consistency.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Scully

• Clunge Bag
  • Legacy Fan
  • Libpool born and bred.
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2007, 04:51:24 pm »
Get out, this is a Luis love-in, no room for sensible posts.   :P

;)

Get a grip though - he's a proper telly footballer.  Looks good (so i'm told) and scores the occasional belter in big games.

From a footballing point of view this year he'd have been lucky to get a game.  He wanted out (for his family) and it fitted everyone to move him on.  But Legend?  At Everton maybe, but not at this club.

In the 1980's UK cities saw the terraces full of three stripes as the football 'Casuals' developed an obsession for trainers and styles such as Rom, Forest Hills and Samba.

Offline The dude abides

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2007, 04:51:43 pm »
Luis was possibly the finest header of a ball that I have ever seen in a Liverpool shirt.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2007, 04:52:38 pm »
we heard you the first time ;)

Apologies!  ;)

Think the thread got merged, didnt think it had copied across.
Twitter | Blog

Offline Gavo

• Main Stander
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2007, 04:52:47 pm »
Nice touch that  ;)
"Winning trophies has made me put on weight."

Offline Des Lynam

• Left at half-time
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hi, Des here.
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2007, 04:52:52 pm »
Would love to have seen him feeding Torres.

Do you have some sort of sick fetish?

Weirdo! :P
I should have been at work. Make of that what you will.

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2007, 04:52:53 pm »
Great letter, I do miss him as well, come back!

Offline PaislyShankley

• Stranger in a strange land; vaguely Amish.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Homophobic, apparently. Probably racist as well.
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2007, 04:52:56 pm »
Luis was possibly the finest header of a ball that I have ever seen in a Liverpool shirt.
He shoulda been kept on to give Crouch lessons.
M'eh

Offline ArgImAPirate

• Legacy Fan
  • rat a tat tat
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2007, 04:52:58 pm »
Top man who scored big goals. I wish him all the best.

Offline Chindits

• It's important to me
  • Legacy Fan
  • L4 Scal-Qaeda Cyber Terrorist Cell
    • ccTwitter
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2007, 04:53:14 pm »
Think I'm going to  :'(.

And here he is making all of our dreams come true:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSpCPgxx7p4

* dries eyes, clears throat. Sings *

Luis Garcia, he drinks Sangria.....

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2007, 04:53:42 pm »
What makes a legend? I'd say winning a European Cup and contributing a great deal to that win along the road to Istanbul gives him legendary status. Every player on that pitch in the final is a legend in my eyes. It's not just about ability or consistency.

Agree with all that. If it wasn't for his goals, would we have even been in the final and had a shot at winning number 5?

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2007, 04:54:40 pm »

Hence Vladi Smicer = Legend.

For the very reason that he scored the decisive penalty as well as our second.

Would never have been classed as a legend otherwise. Likewise luis and the rest of the 2005 euro cup winning team.
Twitter | Blog

Offline Scully

• Clunge Bag
  • Legacy Fan
  • Libpool born and bred.
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2007, 04:54:42 pm »

So Djimi Traore and Igor Biscan are Liverpool Legends?  Come on, no one in their right mind could make that argument.  As much as anything else its a kick in the teeth to those truly great players who've gone before.

If it wasn't for Neil Mellor, Pongolle (both against olympiakos) and Biscan (for that great run at Deportivo that made the goal) we wouldn't have won the European cup. Are they all legends.  Neil Mellor?  Pongolle?

Billy Liddell and John Barnes never won a European cup, are they not legends?

...or did Football only begin in 1992?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:57:10 pm by Scully »

Offline gemkopqueen

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2007, 05:00:10 pm »

Great isn't it, seeing as he was probably the smallest guy in the team!
Gemzy Wemzy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2007, 05:01:06 pm »
So Djimi Traore and Igor Biscan are Liverpool Legends?  Come on, no one in their right mind could make that argument.  As much as anything else its a kick in the teeth to those truly great players who've gone before.

Not sure what you're getting at there to be honest, I gave a reason why I believe Luis Garcia is a legend, I didn't say the only way to become a legend was to win a European Cup. There are many paths to legendary status and winning the European Cup is one of them.

Offline Redrider

• Departed for a forum with better manners
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2007, 05:01:22 pm »
Definitely a Red Legend.
A player who will be remembered both for his goals and for his style of play that was an early part of a revolution in the development at LFC.
He was a herald for a new era.

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2007, 05:02:15 pm »
he's not a legend, but obviously a fan favourite.

In time he could have become a legend, but not in his 3 years.

That being said, he connected with LFC supporters more than most players.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2007, 05:03:21 pm »

If it wasn't for Neil Mellor, Pongolle (both against olympiakos) and Biscan (for that great run at Deportivo that made the goal) we wouldn't have won the European cup. Are they all legends.  Neil Mellor?  Pongolle?

Id personnaly hold the team that won us that european cup that night in istanbul all in legendary status.

There are exceptions in the form of exceptionally talented players that didnt win a european cup (Barnes) or players that held a particularly special relationship with the fans (Robbie) that would also make that status.

If it wasnt for Istanbul then no, Smicer et al would not make that list, but following that, in my eyes at least, they do.
Twitter | Blog