Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 519560 times)

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6680 on: March 29, 2024, 03:51:04 pm »
Over the course of the last hour I have convinced myself Amorim is the guy we want. Lets make it happen!

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #6681 on: March 29, 2024, 03:51:20 pm »
Brave on from Xabi, considering how we do with managers usually, he may never get the chance again

Online HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6682 on: March 29, 2024, 03:51:48 pm »
Inside the mind of The Special One - Mk II: Europe's most-wanted manager Ruben Amorim is now Liverpool's No 1 choice to replace Jurgen Klopp... and he loves trash-talking just like his idol Jose Mourinho
  • Ruben Amorim is the new favourite to become Liverpool's next manager
  • The 39-year-old has led Sporting to one Portuguese league title
  • Xabi Alonso appears to be out the race as he is committed to Bayer Leverkusen
By LEWIS STEELE
PUBLISHED: 12:00, 29 March 2024 | UPDATED: 14:42, 29 March 2024

Madness.

That was the word that filled the conversations and the back pages when Sporting Clube De Portugal announced they were taking a risk on a young coach from Braga, only four years ago.

Why had the capital club, one of Portugal's Big Three along with Porto and Lisbon rivals Benfica, paid more than €10million in compensation, at the time the third-highest fee ever paid for a manager, for a 35-year-old with less than six months of top-level experience? Welcome to the fast lane, Ruben Amorim.

Back then, the outrage was led by Portuguese football icon Luis Figo, who acknowledged that the Jose Alvalade Stadium had often been a graveyard for managers and dubbed the decision to hire rookie Amorim as 'loucura'.

Four years on, the only madness around Amorim is that he is not yet at one of Europe's Continental giants. He will be soon.

He has scored high on data tests led by Liverpool and will almost certainly get invited to interview for the soon-to-be vacant manager's job. 

In a recruitment process aided by head of research Will Spearman, a former Harvard physics PHD student, Amorim will have excelled on expected goals metrics (xG) and data shows he is overperforming with a limited budget compared to Benfica and Porto.

His style is different to Jurgen Klopp's but fits the match in their desire for an exciting, attacking philosophy. Mail Sport understands the Reds have had scouts at several Sporting matches this year.

After Liverpool conceded defeat on hiring Xabi Alonso on Thursday afternoon - internally, it appears the Reds never had any confidence they could lure him out of Bayer Leverkusen this summer - it has catapulted Amorim to becoming the frontrunner for the Anfield hotseat.

But Liverpool are not the only team keen on Amorim. Bayern Munich need to replace Thomas Tuchel, plus Xavi is departing Barcelona. Chelsea and Manchester United would be in the market if their current managers were to leave.

In a fascinating continent-wide scrap for new managers, whoever does hire Amorim will have to pay a hefty compensation fee which Portuguese sources tell Mail Sport would be a world-record figure for a coach. So… what is so special about the new special one?

Amorim was asked if Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola was his reference point and, while he did say the Catalan was the best current coach in the world, he answered by saying: 'My reference has always been Mourinho.'

He attended a coaching course at the Faculty of Human Kinetics, University of Lisbon which had sessions led by Mourinho alongside Antonio Veloso, who won seven league titles with Benfica in the 1980s.

The pair stayed in touch, though the relationship is said to have evolved away from a master-and-apprentice hierarchy. When Amorim's Sporting knocked Arsenal out of the Europa League in 2023, his compatriot was quick to WhatsApp him a congratulatory message.

'The old and the new Mourinho are still in the competition,' joked the then-Roma boss. When quizzed on the pair's similarities, Amorim said of his idol: 'Mourinho is one of a kind. There won't be another Mourinho. Mourinho is unique.'

Those comments got the senses tingling with Chelsea fans who are still not sold on Mauricio Pochettino. Manchester United would probably be keen if the new owners were to part company with Ten Hag. But he is now the No 1 contender to replace Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool.

Everyone who knows Amorim and his journey well, from former colleagues to Portuguese football experts, cite his unique tactics and motivational speeches. But above all, they talk about his personality.

'The best word to describe Ruben is genuine,' says one former colleague who asked to remain anonymous as he works for another club. 'He values relationships, makes everyone in the building feel heard from the team captain to office staff - it creates a winning mentality.

'He is loud but never aggressive or rude. He is a leader and makes everyone feel like they are working with him, not below him. But his best (trait) is communicating, making everyone feel united and trusted.'

There is a social media page dedicated as a countdown to Amorim's next press conference. Like his idol Jose Mourinho, Amorim thinks that matches do not start when the two teams walk on to the pitch but instead in his news briefings, when he is assertive with his words.

Some have described him as a 'master trash-talker' to try to get one up on his opposite number the day before games, but players are said to tune in and hang on his every word. His words might wind up rivals but they inspire Sporting's stars.

'He's a brilliant communicator,' says Tom Kundert, a Portuguese football expert who has written two books and runs the website PortuGOAL. 'He's very open in press conferences, happy to respond to all questions - even the stupid ones - with an informative answer.

'And he also retains a remarkably jovial demeanour, even when the pressure is on. He's one of these coaches who fosters a superb spirit among the whole squad, and that is no doubt the fruit of his communicative approach.

'In five years as a coach, I cannot remember him ever criticising any of his players in public and I cannot recall one news story of an unhappy player. When things do go wrong for Sporting, which has not happened much under Amorim, he shifts all the focus on himself.

'He will say things like, "We lost because Sporting have a coach who is still inexperienced and is learning the trade and who got it wrong today". Overall, he has a very affable personality and generally does a great job at swerving any controversies or spats with rival managers.'

Sources in Lisbon have suggested Amorim loves life at Sporting and the offer would have to be 'perfect' to tempt him to move abroad, after already holding talks with Tottenham when Antonio Conte departed in spring 2023.

'I've seen many coaches move to other leagues and not be happier,' he said in an interview with Diario de Noticias last summer. 'I want to value what I have. I've had contacts with other clubs, Sporting knows, but I always wanted to stay because I like being here.

'If I ever have to leave here, either because I was pushed out with white handkerchiefs, or because I went to another club, it will happen. But being here doing my part, I won't be opening the door and leaving it ajar, because I think Sporting deserves respect.'

Interestingly, Amorim's management career got off to a significant false start. After a playing career that involved a decade at Benfica and 14 Portugal caps, he began his second life of coaching at lower-league Lisbon club Casa Pia.

But Amorim did not have the necessary coaching badges so was briefly suspended from management and forced to resign. Casa Pia were docked six points, though they still gained promotion that season, a testament to the foundations laid by their rookie, unlicenced coach.

People close to Amorim suggest that he was furious at that and nearly gave up the gig altogether, but quickly calmed down and set in motion a trail of events that has led him to becoming one of Europe's most wanted, via Braga's B team and then their senior side.

Amorim's greatest achievement in management was leading Sporting to their first league title in 19 years in 2021 and the club are on course for another triumph this season, one point clear of bitter rivals Benfica with a game in hand, and seven clear of Porto.

'He proved the doubters wrong by making Sporting a recognisable force again,' says Zach Lowy, a European football expert. 'They had been also-rans for the entire century, so to end the Porto and Benfica duopoly and win their first title in 19 years, it's massive.'

The 39-year-old has seen plenty of star players depart Sporting during his time there - including Manchester City's Matheus Nunes, Fulham's Joao Palhinha and Tottenham's Pedro Porro - but has constantly rebuilt a winning team.

Amorim deploys a 3-4-3 system and is said to be stubborn - in a good way - about his tactical approach, never moving away from what he views as the right way to play football. 'He is married to the 3-4-3,' adds Kundert.

'It is interesting that it is viewed by some as a somewhat defensive formation, with the wing-backs often sitting back to form a five-man defence, and in the title-winning season Sporting's triumph was certainly built on a watertight defence.

'It has slight nuances in the attacking third, but he will never abdicate from the three-at-the-back system. The wing-backs are often extremely attack-minded, especially Pedro Porro on the right who was a fundamental part of Sporting's offensive game plan under Amorim.

'But it can also be an extremely offensive system, as has been the case this season. Sporting have scored goals galore this season - more than 100 so far - and in the league they have netted more goals at this stage of the season than any Sporting team going back 50 years.'

Wherever he goes, Amorim would likely demand his coaching team follows. One, 29-year-old Carlos Fernandes, is described as 'the Mourinho to Amorim's Bobby Robson'. After winning the title, he was winged by all of his staffing team in his post-match press conference.

Amorim is definitely admired by Liverpool, alongside Roberto De Zerbi. First, though, there is a title to be won at Sporting, with a Lisbon derby next weekend. He might not be as outspoken as Mourinho, but it feels like the Special One 2.0 is heading for Europe's elite.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13251913/ruben-amorim-liverpool-no-1-choice.html

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6683 on: March 29, 2024, 03:52:10 pm »
Brave on from Xabi, considering how we do with managers usually, he may never get the chance again

He's 42, he's got another 20 years in the game. He will manage us eventually.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6685 on: March 29, 2024, 03:55:29 pm »
:-X

“It’s the final chance of the game, and Joelinton squares it to Solanke… goal!  Liverpool have scored in the final seconds!  The two new 80 million pound signings have linked up to perfection.  Jason Tindall walks over to shush Pep Guardiola.  Incredible scenes at Anfield as Eddie Howe pumps his fist.

Full time score Liverpool 1, Manchester City 5.”
King Kenny.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6686 on: March 29, 2024, 03:58:01 pm »
Why not go down the Arsenal route and hire a highly regarded assistant from somewhere? The options are so grim, we should be possibly think left field.

We could look closer to home at our own assistant in Ljinders.

Yeah we should look at Lindjers. Why hasn't this been thought of before??

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #6687 on: March 29, 2024, 04:03:47 pm »
And Amorim has faced adversity ;)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6688 on: March 29, 2024, 04:03:48 pm »
Ojogo are reporting today we want Diomande and Inacio.  ;D

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6689 on: March 29, 2024, 04:04:47 pm »
I wonder if the club ever really saw Alonso as Klopps successor. Of course they'll pay the fans lip service and put him on the list but then quietly manage expectations through friendly journos as they do with our injured players. The fact remains, in his limited managerial career,  Alonso doesn't play the style of football we have built our squad around and more importantly, into our academy. The club clearly sees the academy as a significant part of out recruitment and revenue in the coming years so the manager needs to fit in with that footballing philosophy rather than binning it all and starting again like Mourinho at MU. Amorim is the closest to Klopps style of football and a very good man manager so the transition hopefully would be easier. This isn't to say he's not a huge gamble, he is, but no manager taking over from Klopp would be an upgrade.

As for Alonso, it will be interesting to see how he deals with getting raided by Bayern and how he spends the money over the summer to replace them. I've always wondered how much of his success is down to Bayern getting Tuchelled. I just hope this puts to bed the idea that Alonso is as sentimental towards our club as the fan base is towards him. Xabi has always said and done whatever suited him best.

I also want to question why everyone seems to think the Portugese league is some tin pot, no mark backwater compared to the Bundesliga when so many of the players that come through it go on to play for the top clubs throughout europe and the EPL? These players seem to have less trouble adapting to the pace and intensity of our league than those from the German league.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6690 on: March 29, 2024, 04:04:49 pm »
Eh, Rafa tried to boot him out the door for Gareth f*cking Barry!!! I wouldn’t blame him for throwing Rafa under a bus!

Not quite. Rafa was strapped for cash as usual, and decided that being able to play Barry (who was a decent player) in 3 possible positions was worth moving Xabi on, especially as he had had a pretty indifferent season.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6691 on: March 29, 2024, 04:06:56 pm »

Aren't they a bit shit like? The paper I mean as a source not the players

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6692 on: March 29, 2024, 04:07:21 pm »

Inacio has got to be the most nailed on if Amorim comes in. Not sure we would need Diomande though even though I think he's a beast. Quansah and Gomez capable backups. Maybe one more since we'll be playing a back 3?

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6693 on: March 29, 2024, 04:07:46 pm »
Wow, just found out Alberto Aquilani is managing Pisa in the Serie B.

Get him in if Alonso wants Madrid.  Hoping we’ll get some leaning photos at the training ground soon.
King Kenny.

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6694 on: March 29, 2024, 04:09:30 pm »

Not the second choices to Frimpong and Wirtz that I would've chosen, but we trust the system.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6695 on: March 29, 2024, 04:11:57 pm »
So we are getting the new Mourinho?

I don’t know if that is a good or bad thing.

Offline axlrose

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6696 on: March 29, 2024, 04:13:02 pm »

it's a good thing, the football has become too sterile , with all the love-in between Pep and Jurgen. now I want us to be some nasty (but talented) c*nts

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #6697 on: March 29, 2024, 04:14:27 pm »

Whats his style like football wise
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6698 on: March 29, 2024, 04:15:13 pm »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13251913/ruben-amorim-liverpool-no-1-choice.html

Interesting enough read. I’m never one to believe that a manager will be completely stubborn with one formation, it’s naive and the reality is the game is going away from formations and positions. Our formation is a 433 but the reality is in some games we build with a 2 at the back, some we build with a 3, when we had Fabinho he would drop into the back line on occasions, it’s all very fluid and stuff like that doesn’t really worry me. If he does like to have 3 very defensive players in the back line, maybe that opens up the possibility of someone like Inacio or Hincapie coming in and playing our left back position.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6699 on: March 29, 2024, 04:20:09 pm »

2002-2010 Mourinho?

That would be a good thing because he was an elite manager then. We’d win trophies with that type of manager in charge.

Not sure he was ever the same manager after Real. That version of Mourinho, who became more toxic, would be a very bad thing
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6700 on: March 29, 2024, 04:20:25 pm »
Already fantasizing about some Amorim line-ups and these are the personnel I'd go for in the two formations he uses;

The best thing about having 3 at the back and wing-backs would probably be Szoboszlai no longer being a water carrier. His attacking threat is being severely underused at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 04:22:21 pm by PaleBlueDot »

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6701 on: March 29, 2024, 04:21:52 pm »

I’d rather be getting the next Mourinho than the next Brendan Rodgers. I think the author is quite clearly only discussing the good bits of Mourinho (of which there were many, you can’t deny), that he doesn’t throw his players under the bus etc tells me he isn’t a carbon copy with a tail swinging from his forehead.

Mourinho leaving Porto was a generational coach. He might not have been a Jurgen or a Pep where he could handle a 5+ year project, but his achievements are ridiculous.

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
« Reply #6702 on: March 29, 2024, 04:23:07 pm »
I really doubt the amorim buyout is as much as rumoured. Would love to know what klopps is.

Raises the question actually - what would happen if Jurgen took another job (*cough* Mannschaft *cough*) before the expiry of his contract? Would we hold him to Gardening Leave or seek a settlement?
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6703 on: March 29, 2024, 04:23:48 pm »
Already fantasizing about some Amorim line-ups and these are the personnel I'd go for in the two formations he uses;

The best thing about having 3 at the back and wing-backs would probably be Szoboszlai no longer being a water carrier. His attacking threat is being severely underused at the moment.

Not sure there are enough goals in that side, far too defensive for me.

Never really been a fan of a 3 centreback line up. In this league you have to be able to score loads especially in the era of us and City and I dont think we have the players for such a system.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 04:27:30 pm by killer-heels »

Online Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6704 on: March 29, 2024, 04:28:06 pm »

?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6705 on: March 29, 2024, 04:28:22 pm »
I hope Amorim's next Anfield experience will be much better than this.
Edit: Even Lucas scored!

Some lineup they had.

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6706 on: March 29, 2024, 04:29:50 pm »
Not sure there are enough goals in that side, far too defensive for me.

Never really been a fan of a 3 centreback line up. In this league you have to be able to score loads especially in the era of us and City and I dont think we have the players for such a system.

Who would you start instead? I actually think it would work perfectly for us. The wingbacks would basically be wingers in possession and you could get away with playing a Mac Allister - Trent double in the middle. The first thing Amorim likes to do is have defensive solidity, but I think the attack benefits the most.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6707 on: March 29, 2024, 04:33:49 pm »
Who would you start instead? I actually think it would work perfectly for us. The wingbacks would basically be wingers in possession and you could get away with playing a Mac Allister - Trent double in the middle. The first thing Amorim likes to do is have defensive solidity, but I think the attack benefits the most.

I dont think it does because straight away you are reducing the impact of the 5 forwards we have in the squad. You are starting two of the five we have there in your line ups and that means we are cutting off our main strength in depth. Right now we can start four out of five.

On top of that, Bradley is a good attacking full back but can he operate as a winger? I dont believe so at all and then you have a flat two in midfield and that means the likes of Harvey, Gravenberch and Jones are struggling for game time.

Basically what you would have is Salah, Jones, Jota, Diaz, Szobozslai, Gakpo, Gravenberch and Elliott fighting it out for effectively the two positions behind Nunez.

It wont work for us in my opinion. An insistence on playing one formation would also have to be a negative in any manager because then this squad will have to make several transfer decisions to play that way.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 04:37:12 pm by killer-heels »

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #6708 on: March 29, 2024, 04:36:50 pm »
I dont think it does because straight away you are reducing the impact of the 5 forwards we have in the squad. You are starting two of the five we have there in your line ups and that means we are cutting off our main strength in depth. Right now we can start four out of five.

On top of that, Bradley is a good attacking full back but can he operate as a winger? I dont believe so at all and then you have a flat two in midfield and that means the likes of Harvey, Gravenberch and Jones are struggling for game time.

Basically what you would have is Salah, Jones, Jota, Diaz, Szobozslai, Gakpo, Gravenberch and Elliott fighting it out for effectively the two positions behind Nunez.

It wont work for us in my opinion.

There's always turnover when a new manager is brought in. It really just depends on how much.

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6709 on: March 29, 2024, 04:36:52 pm »
Interesting enough read. I’m never one to believe that a manager will be completely stubborn with one formation, it’s naive and the reality is the game is going away from formations and positions. Our formation is a 433 but the reality is in some games we build with a 2 at the back, some we build with a 3, when we had Fabinho he would drop into the back line on occasions, it’s all very fluid and stuff like that doesn’t really worry me. If he does like to have 3 very defensive players in the back line, maybe that opens up the possibility of someone like Inacio or Hincapie coming in and playing our left back position.

I have been warming to Amorim for a while and hope he comes but I'm not sure what to make of him being wedded to the 343 formation. We have got an abundance of midfielders especially number 8's. Interesting to see how he manages them considering we will go from a 3 man midfield to a two man midfield.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6710 on: March 29, 2024, 04:38:54 pm »
I wonder if the club ever really saw Alonso as Klopps successor. Of course they'll pay the fans lip service and put him on the list but then quietly manage expectations through friendly journos as they do with our injured players. The fact remains, in his limited managerial career,  Alonso doesn't play the style of football we have built our squad around and more importantly, into our academy. The club clearly sees the academy as a significant part of out recruitment and revenue in the coming years so the manager needs to fit in with that footballing philosophy rather than binning it all and starting again like Mourinho at MU. Amorim is the closest to Klopps style of football and a very good man manager so the transition hopefully would be easier. This isn't to say he's not a huge gamble, he is, but no manager taking over from Klopp would be an upgrade.

As for Alonso, it will be interesting to see how he deals with getting raided by Bayern and how he spends the money over the summer to replace them. I've always wondered how much of his success is down to Bayern getting Tuchelled. I just hope this puts to bed the idea that Alonso is as sentimental towards our club as the fan base is towards him. Xabi has always said and done whatever suited him best.

I also want to question why everyone seems to think the Portugese league is some tin pot, no mark backwater compared to the Bundesliga when so many of the players that come through it go on to play for the top clubs throughout europe and the EPL? These players seem to have less trouble adapting to the pace and intensity of our league than those from the German league.

Bayern getting Tuchelled has nothing to do with the unbeaten run of 35 games and in the process breaking Guardiola's and Klopp's unbeaten records. That also has nothing to do with him possibly hitting 90 points in a 34-game season.

What success he has built is strictly because of what he has built within the corridors of Leverkusen and has absolutely nothing to do with Bayern being less than what they are. In fact, Bayern are very likely to end up within the same points range as the previous three seasons when they actually won the league.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6711 on: March 29, 2024, 04:39:06 pm »
There's always turnover when a new manager is brought in. It really just depends on how much.

We would have to have a cull in some of the forward and attacking midfield group, and we would have to up our depth in the defensive and wing back areas. Thats not forgetting possibly bringing in another out and out midfielder who plays in a two. Its one thing some turn over, its another just bringing in players to fit a managers style, which could change again.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6712 on: March 29, 2024, 04:40:25 pm »
I have been warming to Amorim for a while and hope he comes but I'm not sure what to make of him being wedded to the 343 formation. We have got an abundance of midfielders especially number 8's. Interesting to see how he manages them considering we will go from a 3 man midfield to a two man midfield.

We also have a lot of attackers. Basically we would have to cut the number of 8’s and attackers we have and stock up on far more defensive players.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6713 on: March 29, 2024, 04:42:31 pm »

It wont work for us in my opinion. An insistence on playing one formation would also have to be a negative in any manager because then this squad will have to make several transfer decisions to play that way.

Yes, I share similar concerns with being wedded with this formation

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6714 on: March 29, 2024, 04:42:54 pm »
Would he play that formation though? He may come in, see your squad, and say "This is more suitable"

And if he does fucking great in my book, shows he isn't married to the system and philosophy and willing to work as best in the circumstance

It would be encouraging if he is able to do that at a Macro level (the overall squad) it would indicate he could do it on a Micro level (changing up in any given match as and when needed)

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6715 on: March 29, 2024, 04:43:39 pm »

A very big negative. Any quality manager needs to be adaptable to the players at his disposal, rather than fitting players into his favoured system.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6716 on: March 29, 2024, 04:44:11 pm »
We also have a lot of attackers. Basically we would have to cut the number of 8’s and attackers we have and stock up on far more defensive players.

I agree. Personally, I hope we stick with 433 but I have my doubts based on what I've read.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #6717 on: March 29, 2024, 04:44:42 pm »
A very big negative. Any quality manager needs to be adaptable to the players at his disposal, rather than fitting players into his favoured system.

Those two things aren’t mutually exclusive

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6718 on: March 29, 2024, 04:47:26 pm »

Seems quite defensive minded based on the posts here so not sure how's that going to work out for us. We have a lot of attack minded players, which works well for a side that has 65% plus possession in the majority of our games. Not sure how three central defenders, two full /backs, one holding cm is going to pry teams apart especially when you have one less goal scorer on the pitch with a 3-4-3 formation or similar. Anyone mentioned in the same sentence as the Special One n his style of football is not exactly how this team plays. Interesting summer coming up.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 04:51:29 pm by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #6719 on: March 29, 2024, 04:48:26 pm »
The amount of pearl clutching that a new manager might change our system is pretty weird no?
It’s arguable that our current shape is the best fit for our personnel now … and regardless playing talent is what matters. Elite players adapt to different roles incredibly quickly