Author Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC/PS4/XB1]  (Read 107563 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC/PS4/XB1]
« Reply #280 on: June 1, 2015, 08:52:16 pm »
This game sounds so good but I'm working through my backlog at the moment and have a few to go through, next game I purchase will be Arkham Knight but this will be after that for sure.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: June 1, 2015, 09:44:08 pm »
To whoever that said, raise the difficulty, great shout, adds so much more to the game. Run into a bear, and now you can have a ten minute boss fight, against a normal mob just minding its own business doing bear-like things in the country... The game is so complex. I read a few online guides to the lore, and didn't realise that the game is based on three books by a Polish fantasy writer that weren't translated to English. Explains the Polish software house and the love that has been put into this. Like Miyazaki's Bloodborne or Souls games, the attention to detail and thought that has gone into this is staggering. I reckon I can clock up 200 hours easy. Got it via ebay Russian VPN thing for £18 via GOG Galaxy, but I feel a game this deserves the full whack, might actually buy the boxset thing.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: June 1, 2015, 10:08:28 pm »
I'm worried about turning it on during the week! 4 hours can feel like 90 minutes in this game. I just get lost amongst a quest, bit of exploration, repairing/crafting weapons & armour, Gwent, clearing settlements, opening question marks, Gwent, killing random things and practicing the combat, finding new merchants - to play Gwent with - etc etc.

Can genuinely see me playing this through again, though much quicker, to see the alternative outcomes of events and quests based on different actions.

Brilliant game.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: June 1, 2015, 10:11:31 pm »
Still can't get me head around Gwent.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: June 1, 2015, 10:59:19 pm »
Through personal boredom and a couple of joints, I feel the urge to provide lessons:

1. There are three rows to each side of the board, yours/opponents, 6 rows in total.
2. Each row holds a different type of card simply, swords/bows/catapults.
3. Each sword/bow/catapult card, and therefore row, has a total score.
4. Highest score at end of each round wins. There are three rounds.

Cards can have different properties. This is represented by a symbol. The effects can be read (in miniscule writing) by holding R2. Examples of properties might be.

1. Spy card. The card is played on the opponents side of the board, adding to his score, but letting you draw two extra cards.
2. A 'healing' card. Lets you draw from a list of cards that you've played in previous rounds.

There are special cards:

1. Decoy - removes card from your side of the board.
2. Scorch - burns the highest scoring (non-leader) cards on the board
3. Winter - reduces cards on the sword row to base score 1. (Wind affects bows/Rain - Catapults)

There are leader cards (foreshadowing obvious?!) - these are permanent, use once cards. Their base score cannot be affected. They cannot be 'killed'.

There are four different decks of cards. Each deck is a different, in-game, faction. Niilfgaard/Northern Realms etc. Each deck has multiple leader cards. You can only choose one leader card per game. This can only be used once per game. An example is - the leader card for the Northern Realms clears all weather effects (there is also a special card with the same trick.

At the beginning of each game. 10 random cards will be selected from your deck. You'll have the option to randomly switch any 1 or 2 out. Or none. Then the game begins. As before, it ends when someone has won two rounds.

Tactically - you want to make sure you have enough cards to finish the game. Be careful not to overcommit for a win in the first round. It's usually more important to focus on improving your deck and/or tricking the opponent into playing/wasting stronger cards.

Good combinations can be spy cards & decoys. For example. I have 2 spy cards (play on other side/get 2x cards) within my 10 card hand. Plus a special decoy card and some other stuff. In the first round, I play the spy, I get two more, now I have more cards than oppo. He plays decoy card (this card is exchanged for any non'leader card on the owner's side of the board) therefore taking my spy. I play my other spy. He plays the spy he stole. I nick that with the decoy. I have more cards, used his decoy and can either pass the round and have (hopefully) stronger/better combinations of cards to kick his ass in the 2nd/3rd rounds, or try and finish it early.

Love it. /geek
« Last Edit: June 1, 2015, 11:01:37 pm by wige »

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: June 1, 2015, 11:02:57 pm »
Through personal boredom and a couple of joints, I feel the urge to provide lessons:

1. There are three rows to each side of the board, yours/opponents, 6 rows in total.
2. Each row holds a different type of card simply, swords/bows/catapults.
3. Each sword/bow/catapult card, and therefore row, has a total score.
4. Highest score at end of each round wins. There are three rounds.

Cards can have different properties. This is represented by a symbol. The effects can be read (in miniscule writing) by holding R2. Examples of properties might be.

1. Spy card. The card is played on the opponents side of the board, adding to his score, but letting you draw two extra cards.
2. A 'healing' card. Lets you draw from a list of cards that you've played in previous rounds.

There are special cards:

1. Decoy - removes card from your side of the board.
2. Scorch - burns the highest scoring (non-leader) cards on the board
3. Winter - reduces cards on the sword row to base score 1. (Wind affects bows/Rain - Catapults)

There are leader cards (foreshadowing obvious?!) - these are permanent, use once cards. Their base score cannot be affected. They cannot be 'killed'.

There are four different decks of cards. Each deck is a different, in-game, faction. Niilfgaard/Northern Realms etc. Each deck has multiple leader cards. You can only choose one leader card per game. This can only be used once per game. An example is - the leader card for the Northern Realms clears all weather effects (there is also a special card with the same trick.

At the beginning of each game. 10 random cards will be selected from your deck. You'll have the option to randomly switch any 1 or 2 out. Or none. Then the game begins. As before, it ends when someone has won two rounds.

Tactically - you want to make sure you have enough cards to finish the game. Be careful not to overcommit for a win in the first round. It's usually more important to focus on improving your deck and/or tricking the opponent into playing/wasting stronger cards.

Good combinations can be spy cards & decoys. For example. I have 2 spy cards (play on other side/get 2x cards) within my 10 card hand. Plus a special decoy card and some other stuff. In the first round, I play the spy, I get two more, now I have more cards than oppo. He plays decoy card (this card is exchanged for any non'leader card on the owner's side of the board) therefore taking my spy. I play my other spy. He plays the spy he stole. I nick that with the decoy. I have more cards, used his decoy and can either pass the round and have (hopefully) stronger/better combinations of cards to kick his ass in the 2nd/3rd rounds, or try and finish it early.

Love it. /geek
Cheers mate! thanks for the effort...

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #286 on: June 1, 2015, 11:32:30 pm »
How can I get more Gwent cards? Can they only be bought or can you win them or find them etc?
YNWA - JFT97

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #287 on: June 1, 2015, 11:34:36 pm »
How can I get more Gwent cards? Can they only be bought or can you win them or find them etc?

You win them from merchants and barkeeps and there are gwent quests. You can buy them as well.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #288 on: June 2, 2015, 09:48:36 am »
Still can't get me head around Gwent.

Don't do it, it's a trap! I struggled at first, now I love it and I try to play it everywhere, card games FTW!

BTW Monsters packs with all frontline cards that have double draw. Fuck OFF! Blizzard your ass you fucking melt.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #289 on: June 2, 2015, 10:23:18 am »
Nice. Must remember that next time.

I've also just realised that money is sparse to come by, loot wise. I'm always skint. I repaired two swords last night and it fleeced me. This was after several hours of looting. Need more ways to make cabbage.

Plus you can equip a torch which I prefer, as if an ugly titty hag jumps you again you can hit her with it and cause some fire damage.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: June 2, 2015, 11:33:55 am »
This game sounds so good but I'm working through my backlog at the moment and have a few to go through, next game I purchase will be Arkham Knight but this will be after that for sure.

I'm in a similar situation but I'm so tempted just to buy it now. Sounds immense.

Going to try and finally clock Bloodbrone this week then I'll be able to justify buying this.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: June 2, 2015, 01:22:48 pm »
Don't do it, it's a trap! I struggled at first, now I love it and I try to play it everywhere, card games FTW!

BTW Monsters packs with all frontline cards that have double draw. Fuck OFF! Blizzard your ass you fucking melt.

Yeah man! I've started adding all my blizzard cards to my deck when playing monsters, it's well satsifying to entice them to get all their high scoring cards out and then reduce them to sh!te!

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #292 on: June 2, 2015, 01:31:32 pm »
snip
Good explanation. Only thing missing really is hero cards!  ;)
XBL: Flash6289

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #293 on: June 2, 2015, 02:46:03 pm »
No patch today though it was promised to arrive on Monday. 4 days without Witcher now, I want to go back :(

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #294 on: June 2, 2015, 03:00:09 pm »
No patch today though it was promised to arrive on Monday. 4 days without Witcher now, I want to go back :(

Go back then ;D

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: June 2, 2015, 03:59:47 pm »
Caved in and bought it. Looking forward to giving it a go tonight.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #296 on: June 2, 2015, 04:42:12 pm »
Just installed the DLC that is free, where ca I find that armour from the DLC/is it high level?

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #297 on: June 2, 2015, 04:49:17 pm »
Just installed the DLC that is free, where ca I find that armour from the DLC/is it high level?

the fella with the bowl haircut you save from the griffin sells it, you can find him not far from the inn in white orchard

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #298 on: June 2, 2015, 04:49:41 pm »
It scales with you. It's the shopkeeper with the bowl haircut in white orchard that sells it.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: June 2, 2015, 04:53:03 pm »
The amount of stuff to do is RIDICULOUS. Im at level 10 and ive spent three and a half days on it! And my map is still populated with ? and my quest inventory full. Im only just starting doing Novigrad quests and havent even been to Skellige yet which is at least the same size as Velen.

Tried upping the difficulty but i cant find a happy medium really.

If i have it on blood and broken bones im ok with the fights but replenishing health is a pain in the ass. I can use swallow but its slow - food costs money. Can you hunt deer? You cant meditate your energy back on that level which is a pain.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: June 2, 2015, 04:55:07 pm »
The amount of stuff to do is RIDICULOUS. Im at level 10 and ive spent three and a half days on it! And my map is still populated with ? and my quest inventory full. Im only just starting doing Novigrad quests and havent even been to Skellige yet which is at least the same size as Velen.

Tried upping the difficulty but i cant find a happy medium really.

If i have it on blood and broken bones im ok with the fights but replenishing health is a pain in the ass. I can use swallow but its slow - food costs money. Can you hunt deer? You cant meditate your energy back on that level which is a pain.

You can hunt deer and rabbits and wolves. Although it's a pain in the butt, but if you use the Igni sign and just roast them it can be pretty decent.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: June 2, 2015, 05:09:11 pm »
also do the same with cows, pigs, geese & chickens in populated areas, most animals can be killed and looted

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: June 2, 2015, 05:13:29 pm »
What is everyones favourite signs? Going Igni and trap for them ghouls, but fire never loses its appeal.

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #303 on: June 2, 2015, 05:31:32 pm »
You win them from merchants and barkeeps and there are gwent quests. You can buy them as well.

Thanks mate!

I'm in the middle of 3 14 hour days in work, and won't be able to play this until Thursday.

I haven't wanted to play a game this bad since GTA San Andreas when I was a kid!
YNWA - JFT97

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: June 2, 2015, 06:14:41 pm »
Let me guess, you jumped in the water and spent ages trying to fit through the gaps?
Haha, yeah. I heard him say something about light when I jumped in, so that gave me the wrong idea. I didn't realise until about a half hour later until I looked up and seen the top of the well, then spent another good bit trying to jump up the side of the wall with the planks on it.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: June 2, 2015, 06:58:43 pm »
Haha, yeah. I heard him say something about light when I jumped in, so that gave me the wrong idea. I didn't realise until about a half hour later until I looked up and seen the top of the well, then spent another good bit trying to jump up the side of the wall with the planks on it.

You did the exact same thing as me mate, I managed to jump onto one of the planks expecting some kind of AC climbing mechanic to kick in.

The I searched on google....

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: June 2, 2015, 07:02:53 pm »
You did the exact same thing as me mate, I managed to jump onto one of the planks expecting some kind of AC climbing mechanic to kick in.

The I searched on google....

Pretty much the same for me as well. Swam around tried to dive down , ran around got frustrated, then googled it and drank a cat potion.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: June 2, 2015, 08:41:18 pm »
Yep, googled it myself too. The bit where you've to climb up is so bloody obvious, but it's just in a shit spot. It reminds me of the old Tomb Raider games where you spent ages looking for a ledge to climb. Frustrating as hell, but has it's own reward when you figure it out.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #308 on: June 2, 2015, 08:46:04 pm »
I did the same thing but only took me 10 mins, I thought I was bad until reading this :D

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #309 on: June 2, 2015, 09:25:12 pm »
Also did the same :)

Spent about an hour in that cave before googling it !

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #310 on: June 2, 2015, 10:03:51 pm »
Also did the same :)

Spent about an hour in that cave before googling it !

I kept looking for a way through the water as that's the way they normally do it. Managed to find the way quite quickly though through luck... ;)

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: June 3, 2015, 12:24:35 am »
What is everyones favourite signs? Going Igni and trap for them ghouls, but fire never loses its appeal.

Gone heavy on axii. Paid off now I've reached level 2 (didn't really understand stay system before or would focused first 6/8 points on other signs) was good at level one, but groups of enemies don't really bother me now, I can very regularly turn them against each other and pick off the scraps :)

I'm on blood & broken bones setting too, found the 'loot fucking everything' tactic ensures I have enough food to supplement potions for health. Also put a point in the 'recharge health in daylight ' perk..

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: June 3, 2015, 12:27:59 am »
Good explanation. Only thing missing really is hero cards!  ;)

It's in there, I just described them as leader cards, which, seeing as it is the term used within the same game to refer to a type of card loosely fitting the descrpition that follows, completely defeats the point of explaining the rules to someone ;)

Thanks though dude :)

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: June 3, 2015, 12:29:15 am »
Gone heavy on axii. Paid off now I've reached level 2 (didn't really understand stay system before or would focused first 6/8 points on other signs) was good at level one, but groups of enemies don't really bother me now, I can very regularly turn them against each other and pick off the scraps :)

I'm on blood & broken bones setting too, found the 'loot fucking everything' tactic ensures I have enough food to supplement potions for health. Also put a point in the 'recharge health in daylight ' perk..
Yeah I did the Sun & Night thing too. Will look into axii. I tend to buy a lot of health food, which is a pain, but yeah looting everything helps. Found a village in second area, Vallen, that had some nice goodies...

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #314 on: June 3, 2015, 09:25:09 am »
Just got full Griffin Armour and both Swords and on quest to find the Feline/Cat armour and weapons... I am currently lvl 14 so will look to upgrade both those armours as well.

Was doing general exploration and came across a Basilisk in a mountai area, shat myself, it didn;t say a lvl, just had a skull next to it, got the fuck out of there, giddy up, Roach!!

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: June 3, 2015, 11:01:14 am »
Still absolutely loving this game, found i've had to massively cool down on the side quests though as i'm rapidly out-leveling the main questline

Spoilers for Bloody Baron storyline ending:

Spoiler
Decided to save the children from the crones, probably the wrong move. Baron's wife died, his daughter traumatised, and when I got back to his home he was swinging from a tree with a noose around his neck (and my reward on the floor), and some evil looking guy about to take over and change things. Felt genuinely gutted! Awesome storyline
[close]
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: June 3, 2015, 01:26:32 pm »
Still absolutely loving this game, found i've had to massively cool down on the side quests though as i'm rapidly out-leveling the main questline

Spoilers for Bloody Baron storyline ending:

Spoiler
Decided to save the children from the crones, probably the wrong move. Baron's wife died, his daughter traumatised, and when I got back to his home he was swinging from a tree with a noose around his neck (and my reward on the floor), and some evil looking guy about to take over and change things. Felt genuinely gutted! Awesome storyline
[close]

Spoiler
Completely different to what happened with me. I can't quite remember the exact events as I did it awhile ago, but the crones are still alive, the Baron's wife is serving out some year long sentence and the Baron is well and truly alive. In fact I now have to go back to him much later in the game as ask him for something. I wonder how that will effect your story line as he is dead in yours. So many options!
[close]

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: June 3, 2015, 01:50:50 pm »
Spoiler
Completely different to what happened with me. I can't quite remember the exact events as I did it awhile ago, but the crones are still alive, the Baron's wife is serving out some year long sentence and the Baron is well and truly alive. In fact I now have to go back to him much later in the game as ask him for something. I wonder how that will effect your story line as he is dead in yours. So many options!
[close]

Wow, mad how differently it plays out!

Guessing I'm gonna get shit on further down the line  ;D
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: June 3, 2015, 01:55:22 pm »
Just got full Griffin Armour and both Swords and on quest to find the Feline/Cat armour and weapons... I am currently lvl 14 so will look to upgrade both those armours as well.

Was doing general exploration and came across a Basilisk in a mountai area, shat myself, it didn;t say a lvl, just had a skull next to it, got the fuck out of there, giddy up, Roach!!
I ran into that area in the first or second section. Up on the hill, they had red numbers, I was lvl 2 or something. Tried to fight them, made no impression, legged it out of there.

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #319 on: June 3, 2015, 06:05:38 pm »
Spoiler
[close]
Haven't heard of this turn of events. I thought that questline has 2 outcomes, the one happened to Crosby Wych and 
Spoiler
killing the tree spirit which results in kids being eaten by the Crones, Baron's wife goes mad and he takes her to some healer to try fix her mind. Doubt they'll reappear in game after that.
[close]