Author Topic: Parks And Recreation - NBC Comedy by American Office creators  (Read 65317 times)

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
Anyone else seen this?  Was shown it by my mate who's pretty big into his US comedy.  It's great.  Currently in its 3rd season, though i'm only on the first.

For those that don't know, its created by 2 guys from The US Office team and shot in the same style and stars Amy Poehler, Gobs wife in Arrested Development (and Will Arnetts actual missus) and Rashinda Jones, Karen from The US Office.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parks_and_Recreation
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:46:42 pm by Rob K »
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Parks And Recreation - NBC Comedy by American Office creators
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:58:55 pm »
I'm surprised at that show, the cast is so good, but the humor is absolutely gone missing. It's a blatant ripoff of the Office, but Amy Poehler isn't as unlikeable as Steve Carrell is, so it's completely missing. I've only watched the first season, granted, but I don't think I laughed once.

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:01:40 pm »
I'm surprised at that show, the cast is so good, but the humor is absolutely gone missing. It's a blatant ripoff of the Office, but Amy Poehler isn't as unlikeable as Steve Carrell is, so it's completely missing. I've only watched the first season, granted, but I don't think I laughed once.

I've been told it picks up in the 2nd season, at the moment i'm just enjoying the Ron Swanson bits.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 05:02:05 pm »
Seen a few episodes here and there.  Liked them to be fair.  So, if the general verdict is good, I might get to watching it regularly.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 05:02:54 pm »
Fucking love this show - 2nd season is boss
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 07:17:35 pm »
Fucking love this show - 2nd season is boss

Aquiring it as I type. :)

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:23:26 pm »
Awww shit. Something else to trawl through :P
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:02:13 pm »
S1 and s2 were great, but s3 is steadily sliding down to the ordinary sitcom-path, comparable to the recent decline of The Office.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 10:02:52 pm »
Aubrey Plaza is still a goddess though.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 10:09:50 pm »
Aubrey Plaza is still a goddess though.

This very true.

The jump in quality from the first season to second is remarkable, it gets a LOT better. Haven't started the third yet, such a shame to hear about it going downhill again.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Operation Hennessey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 06:34:21 pm »
Ron Swanson is an awesome character, as is the councillor guy. Great show, took me quite a few attempts to get going with it. Second season is superb.

Offline dotmotion

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 07:15:11 pm »
S1 and s2 were great, but s3 is steadily sliding down to the ordinary sitcom-path, comparable to the recent decline of The Office.

Each to their own but I found this season just as good as the second.

To me this is the best sit com on television. At least the ones that were running the last few months (the NBC bunch, Big Bang, Modern Family).

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 08:53:03 pm »
Great show. Aziz Ansari's stand-up is pretty funny too.

Ron Swanson is an awesome character, as is the councillor guy.

Hilarious character. Loved his responses in the Lil' Sebastian episode

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 08:57:20 pm »
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 08:51:34 pm »
Ohhh thats him from Scrubs.

Got the 1st 2 series on a USB to watch. Just with someone saying it is turning into a sitcom, has it recorded laughing?
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 03:23:42 am »
I only got into this recently and am watching at US pace now. Really like it and the Ron Swanson character is a classic! Definitely worth sticking with :)

Offline jammy dodger

• going to make your vagina cry
  • Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 03:40:03 am »
Sat next to Aziz Ansari the other day at a restaurant.
"Anything can happen. Danny Ings can happen" - Ellie Goulding

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 03:45:38 am »
Amy Poehler's character is the only part I don't like about it.

I will always hold a grudge against it though for ending Party Down after Adam Scott got poached for this.

Offline richmond-red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A stranger in a strange land.
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 04:41:10 am »
Amy Poehler's character is the only part I don't like about it.

I agree, and I think that the improvement in Season 2 was due to downplaying that character and bringing ones like Ron Swanson, April Ludgate and Andy Dwyer more to the fore.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 05:14:10 am »
Seen a few episodes, its good.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 09:31:22 am »
This is alright.

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 11:48:28 am »
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 02:12:56 pm »
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline USC19Babel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 08:49:36 pm »
My favorite show on television right now.

Funniest thing on American tv since Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Arrested Development IMO

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #24 on: June 4, 2011, 12:19:44 am »
Just ordered seasons 1 and 2. lets go!...... in about two weeks time

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #25 on: June 4, 2011, 12:53:48 am »
My favorite show on television right now.

Funniest thing on American tv since Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Arrested Development IMO
Hmmm. LOVED Seinfeld. Curb kind of fell away to me because of what was happening at the time I started to watch it, and Arrested, see Curb. Im 7 episodes of the 1st series in and have laughed out loud 3 times. Favourite show, ok...but is it the funniest...have you ever seen, Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia?

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 4, 2011, 01:57:09 am »
Hmmm. LOVED Seinfeld. Curb kind of fell away to me because of what was happening at the time I started to watch it, and Arrested, see Curb. Im 7 episodes of the 1st series in and have laughed out loud 3 times. Favourite show, ok...but is it the funniest...have you ever seen, Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia?

What does that part mean?

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 4, 2011, 02:26:20 am »
Watched the entire latest season. Was so brilliant.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #28 on: June 4, 2011, 02:35:47 am »
What does that part mean?
Id started to watch the series, i like to bulk watch, but because of crap going on in my life, i wasnt able to switch off and enjoy it, and i just gave up on it as it wasnt grabbing my attention.

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 4, 2011, 02:43:56 am »
Id started to watch the series, i like to bulk watch, but because of crap going on in my life, i wasnt able to switch off and enjoy it, and i just gave up on it as it wasnt grabbing my attention.

Ah okay. That's a real shame man. Those two are definitely worth revisiting. Fuck Parks and Rec, it's got nothing on those. Also see The Larry Sanders Show if you haven't.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 4, 2011, 03:02:51 am »
I keep meaning to watch this, mostly because of the involvement of Michael Schur.  His blogging on Firejoemorgan.com was awesome.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #31 on: June 4, 2011, 09:36:34 am »
Im 7 episodes of the 1st series in and have laughed out loud 3 times. Favourite show, ok...but is it the funniest...have you ever seen, Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia?

Series 2 & 3 are better than series 1.  I wouldn't call it the funniest show in the world (after all, how many of those can there be?  By definition, just one...)  But I love it, and it has plenty of potential moving forward.

If Ron Swanson in series 2 & 3 doesn't do it for you, then it just won't be your cup of tea.  :) 
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #32 on: June 4, 2011, 10:34:50 am »
Ah okay. That's a real shame man. Those two are definitely worth revisiting. Fuck Parks and Rec, it's got nothing on those. Also see The Larry Sanders Show if you haven't.
Im definatly going back to them, probably after ive finished Parks.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #33 on: June 4, 2011, 10:38:18 am »
Series 2 & 3 are better than series 1.  I wouldn't call it the funniest show in the world (after all, how many of those can there be?  By definition, just one...)  But I love it, and it has plenty of potential moving forward.

If Ron Swanson in series 2 & 3 doesn't do it for you, then it just won't be your cup of tea.  :) 
Funny you should say that, watched S2 E1 last night and laughed a few times. Which was surprising considering the bad mood i was in.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #34 on: June 4, 2011, 02:29:55 pm »
Just wait until Ron Swanson's ex-wife Tammy No2 (two ex-wives, both called Tammy) shows up....

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #35 on: June 4, 2011, 02:36:21 pm »
Tom and Ron make the show.

Jean Ralphio is hilarious as well.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 4, 2011, 02:59:58 pm »
April's sister and Tom's ex gf (not ex wife) are fit as fuck, which helps, too.

But yeah, I got into it after a few here recommended that it picks up in the second series.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #37 on: June 4, 2011, 04:40:41 pm »
Just wait until Ron Swanson's ex-wife Tammy No2 (two ex-wives, both called Tammy) shows up....
Sound mate. Will watch a couple tonight all being well.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 4, 2011, 06:23:08 pm »
Jean Ralphio is hilarious as well.
Love Jean Ralphio. His rhymes are crazy.

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #39 on: June 4, 2011, 09:20:34 pm »
The Pyramid of Greatness is awesome. :D