Author Topic: how good was Steve McMahon  (Read 33626 times)

Offline ..Bruiser..

• A liver bird upon me chest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
Re: how good was Steve McMahon
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2011, 05:29:12 pm »
What happened just before Italia '90 started? I seem to remember McMahon calling for England fans to behave and didn't he score an own goal on purpose in an England warm up game that was 10-2 to make a point that hooliganism won't be tolerated?

My memories of him are the same as has been said, I used to kick the ball away from me towards the end of the garden and try and keep it in like him against Arsenal. That summed him up as that midfield inspiration. I hated seeing him injure his knee v Everton in the 0-0 at Anfield before the 4-4 replay. At 11 even it was obvious he'd be a massive loss to the centre.
96 friends we'll never forget
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2011, 05:32:16 pm »
What happened just before Italia '90 started? I seem to remember McMahon calling for England fans to behave and didn't he score an own goal on purpose in an England warm up game that was 10-2 to make a point that hooliganism won't be tolerated?

Yes, I remember that. I even discussed this with a mate recently and he was convinced I was making it up. Thanks for settling the matter!!

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2011, 05:32:56 pm »
thread stopped cos of cockery.
Yep.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2011, 01:10:39 am »
cleaned it up. You're all welcome to your opinion so allow others to have theirs without being personally abusive. Thanks.
Yep.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2011, 01:21:14 am »
Steve McMahon was a cracking player. Strong in the tackle but far better in the attacking sense than Masch was. More comparable to Gerrard and Souness IMO. I remember him elbowing Gazza in the face when we won 3-1 at Spurs and getting caught winking live on TV almost immediately afterwards.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2011, 03:46:13 am »
Steve McMahon was a cracking player. Strong in the tackle but far better in the attacking sense than Masch was. More comparable to Gerrard and Souness IMO. I remember him elbowing Gazza in the face when we won 3-1 at Spurs and getting caught winking live on TV almost immediately afterwards.

Have to agree Alf. Closer to Gerrard for me...better touch and pass than Souness.

But Gerrard, with respect to Souness and McMahon is just that little bit more special in quality.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Godmadebloodred

• Legacy Fan
  • The Beanitezls
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2011, 04:18:18 am »
He's one of the few or only person to have captained us & Everton.

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2011, 04:44:07 am »
Even though we didn't play well that day I always think we were robbed that day. The Beardsley incident still pisses me off now over 20 years later!

To me that game and the 2007 CL final are the 2 biggest missed footballing oppurtunities in our recent history.

In terms of the original topic, Steve McMahon was a great player. Wasn't as good as Souness but was an able replacement alongside Whelan/Molby. As others have said he was a bit of an all rounder, who could put his foot in when necessary but also could get us playing in midfield. Also had goalscoring ability, mainly through a hammer of a right foot.

Hard to compare him with today's midfield players since tactically moidfields are set up slightly different now. What you can say about McMahon though is that with his playing ability, his stamina and determination to win he'd have the skill set to have been a top player in any era.

What he said! Just want to add that the comparisons of McMahon to Lucas are nothing short of sacrilige.  Let Lucas actually do something first before we start making stupid comparisons like that.     

Offline adi1986

• Main Stander
  • Who's bigger than Liverpool?
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2011, 04:45:50 am »
Pundit in our parts of the world. You can see from some of the stuff he says that he had a taste for hard tenacious tackling. Another good thing about his punditry is that he really riles up them mancs here  ;D.

That said he  is quite in tune with the infamous Sky Pundits and was a big time Rafa basher.

Wait that's not what this thread is about. Apologies :P
Wish my internet terrorism skills had surfaced earlier, when we helplessly let Xabi go.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2011, 04:49:51 am »
A great player. I didn't appreciate him at first as I saw him as a bluenose. But over time, I realised what a great midfielder he was for us. And also, he played double the number of games for us that he did for Everton.

Offline hitnrock

• Kopite
  • Rafa's Red And White Kop
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2011, 05:53:19 am »
What he said! Just want to add that the comparisons of McMahon to Lucas are nothing short of sacrilige.  Let Lucas actually do something first before we start making stupid comparisons like that.   
True .. i mean i love lucas but that is just stupid
Waiting for Gerrard is like waiting for Goku.
Only a few moments remaining until Goku arrives.
Next week:

Goku is almost there, can he stop the ginyu force?
Next week:

Goku is about to arrive, is he up to the challenge?

;)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2011, 05:54:47 am »
Great player but wasnt there some doubt about his supposedly hard-man image?

Definitely not a shithouse but no souness or Tommy Smith. Had a brawl famously in Halewood labour club at the height of his fame (which we all thought was a good thing at the time, didn't think he was above rolling round the floor of a boozer on a Sunday afternoon over who was next on the pool table, just a normal lad:D) Almost certainly the best player who went to our school, although his brother wasn't bad in all.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2011, 05:56:45 am »
The way he kept that ball in play against Arsenal for Aldridge to score !
Brilliant !
Great player !

I remember that........fabulous player. One of my favourites from a team   squad full of favourites.

Offline hitnrock

• Kopite
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2011, 05:56:47 am »
The fella is a tool. And that other fella called Masefield. Both have not got a clue.
yeah but that Shebby Singh guy is really good at score predictions
its unbelievable how correct his score predictions are
Next week:

Next week:

;)

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2011, 06:11:16 am »

Yeah , he was a good midfielder alright, but not a patch on their Maria.
'Transalpino 1978

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2011, 06:27:09 am »
Yeah , he was a good midfielder alright, but not a patch on their Maria.

Ha ha, remember when chris was on Granada reports ?

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2011, 06:46:02 am »
we dont seem to hold any grudges towards him playing for the blueshites ?

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2011, 07:02:17 am »
Ha ha, remember when chris was on Granada reports ?

Yeah , he said he wanted to work in Bunners hahaha
'Transalpino 1978

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2011, 07:17:50 am »
He was just a powerful all round player who was great to watch

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2011, 07:20:58 am »
He was quite dirty, I remember a few things he did..

Him and Graham Sharp arguing with the ref, McMahan held up two fingers to suggest to the ref that something had happened twice, when the ref turned away the two fingers went in Sharpes eyes.

Kicked Mark Hughes (I thnk?) around the pitch, until Hughes got sent off, turned and winked to the TV cameras.

I can also remember a horror tackle on vinny jones, payback after Jones clattered him in the 88 cup final.  Jones needed a tonne of stitches on a big gash in his leg.

good.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2011, 07:24:12 am »
Definitely not a shithouse but no souness or Tommy Smith. Had a brawl famously in Halewood labour club at the height of his fame (which we all thought was a good thing at the time, didn't think he was above rolling round the floor of a boozer on a Sunday afternoon over who was next on the pool table, just a normal lad:D) Almost certainly the best player who went to our school, although his brother wasn't bad in all.

No shithouse who liked to put his foot in but I do remember him going missing in the Wimbledon FA cup final when Vinny Jones twatted him within a copuple of minutes of the game kicking off

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2011, 07:31:11 am »
i still think of mcmahon as a tough, motivated midfielder, one of my favourite goals is aldo's against arsenal when stevie kept what appeared to be a dead ball in play, went and had a brew in the paddock and set up aldo! fantastic. if some of our more recent signings had half the heart or passion of him we would be in a whole lot better position than the europa league and hoping for chelsea nd spurs to slip up for 4th!!!!

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2011, 08:12:08 am »
Pundit in our parts of the world. You can see from some of the stuff he says that he had a taste for hard tenacious tackling. Another good thing about his punditry is that he really riles up them mancs here  ;D.

That said he  is quite in tune with the infamous Sky Pundits and was a big time Rafa basher.

Wait that's not what this thread is about. Apologies :P

He is not "in tune" with the infamous sky pundits.

He disagree's 75% of the time with Paul Masefield and his side kick Shebby Singh and ends up having arguments with them on live TV.

Seen enough of the latter two to figure out neither one has a clue about what they are talking about.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2011, 08:18:22 am »
Great player, quick, strong, great engine, could tackle, could score, got into the box, great work rate, just a good all round player, more complete than Mash but obviously there are comparisons due to size and all round all action style.
He scored a good goal in the 9-0 over palace, think it was the 3rd? chipped the keeper after breaking from midfield if my memory is right??

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2011, 01:23:27 pm »
A different sort of player from mascherano. Wish people would stop being so bloody emotional about the manner in which mascherano left us.

McMahon did exactly the same. Thing to Everyon so he was not perfect either.

McMahon made the midfield tick. I would compare him to Gerrard because their gun ho, tally ho, and come on lads...up and at em style in the middle of the park and his non stop running gave the team a ball winner and a player who could make a deft pass or score a class goal.

Legend for me. Loves the club. Loves the supporters.

Think he is in Asia as epl pundit.

Loves the club, you can see how gutted he is after we lose. And calls a spade a spade. You may not agree with him, but you know there is no hidden agenda behind.

Called Roy average and the only one to question his tactics amongst the Liverpool ex players early on.
Justice for the 96

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2011, 01:37:32 pm »
we dont seem to hold any grudges towards him playing for the blueshites ?

Nah. A local scouser. He was good.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2011, 01:45:12 pm »
Great player, quick, strong, great engine, could tackle, could score, got into the box, great work rate, just a good all round player, more complete than Mash but obviously there are comparisons due to size and all round all action style.
He scored a good goal in the 9-0 over palace, think it was the 3rd? chipped the keeper after breaking from midfield if my memory is right??
2nd if being picky but it was quality!

jesus he is possession of some belters. anyone remember the week before hillsborough we beat sheffield wednesday 5-1, he scored the opener from about 30 yards

buried it
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline hitnrock

• Kopite
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2011, 01:57:18 pm »
Loves the club, you can see how gutted he is after we lose. And calls a spade a spade. You may not agree with him, but you know there is no hidden agenda behind.

Called Roy average and the only one to question his tactics amongst the Liverpool ex players early on.
yeah talked a fair bit about how the team should press more..and pass and move etc
the best was when at the end of everton vs liverpool roy gave a smirk.. and macca sat and bashed him for about 10 minutes
Next week:

Next week:

;)

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2011, 02:14:33 pm »

True mate. Only thing is that he did not call Roy average. He called him shite :)

He sometimes used to address him as 'granddad Roy' when his frustration reached its peak.
YNWA

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2011, 02:26:11 pm »
2nd if being picky but it was quality!

jesus he is possession of some belters. anyone remember the week before hillsborough we beat sheffield wednesday 5-1, he scored the opener from about 30 yards

buried it

For some reason, out of all the great goals that he scored, the one that's made the greatest impression on me was the winner against Chelsea at Anfield in the 87-88 season. Chelsea went ahead relatively early on, then Liverpool absolutely besieged them for the rest of the game, culminating in a 20 yarder from McMahon a few minutes from the end. Not a particularly significant match, and McMahon's scored better goals, but for some reason that goal sticks in my mind.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2011, 04:03:51 pm »
For some reason, out of all the great goals that he scored, the one that's made the greatest impression on me was the winner against Chelsea at Anfield in the 87-88 season. Chelsea went ahead relatively early on, then Liverpool absolutely besieged them for the rest of the game, culminating in a 20 yarder from McMahon a few minutes from the end. Not a particularly significant match, and McMahon's scored better goals, but for some reason that goal sticks in my mind.
think that was a tap in

houghton and barnes were involved with a back heel in there somewhere
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2011, 05:14:28 pm »
think that was a tap in

houghton and barnes were involved with a back heel in there somewhere

It was definitely scored from distance. A bit like Smicer's at Istanbul if I remember right, from a similar distance and position.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Fazakerley Red

• No longer angry :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fazakerley Red
« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2011, 05:18:44 pm »
ten times the player Mascherano was, is, or ever will be. A box to box, all action, old style centre mid who could do everything,

fabulous player.
100% correct plus scored goals

Offline Xabisfeet

• Anny Roader
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2011, 07:49:07 pm »
I remember that........fabulous player. One of my favourites from a team   squad full of favourites.

Manic on the Kop that day.  Had to wait until MOTD to see the goals!  Great days........

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2011, 09:46:36 pm »
He was a hard nut in the true sense of the word a great player who in my opinion when one considers some of the players to have worn the red shirt over the last 10 years who been have called legends he is more than worthy of being called a legend can remember him scoring a goal against blue noses in 86 around September time in a inter cup match we had against them in kop end that flew in never hear many talking about this goal but it was a screamer anyone remember it ?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:48:32 pm by gatcliffe »
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline sheff-jim

• Legacy Fan
  • Schizophrenic?! I'm bleeding Quadrophenic
« Reply #195 on: February 23, 2011, 10:01:35 pm »
McMahon was a very very good player. Didn't quite reach the great level. He could score goals, tackle and pass the ball.

McMahon had the reputation, but the hatchet man of the team in the late 80s was really Ronnie Whelan. He just never shouted about it. One minute you had the ball, the next Whelan had done you.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2011, 10:42:36 pm »
I glad this is open again - not sure why it needed cleaning as I can't fathom why people would argue over McMahon. He was a fantastic, fantastic player for us.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #197 on: February 23, 2011, 11:00:42 pm »
He was a hard nut in the true sense of the word a great player who in my opinion when one considers some of the players to have worn the red shirt over the last 10 years who been have called legends he is more than worthy of being called a legend can remember him scoring a goal against blue noses in 86 around September time in a inter cup match we had against them in kop end that flew in never hear many talking about this goal but it was a screamer anyone remember it ?

He scored with a header from about 20 yards against the bitters in the Screen Sport Super Cup. Probably the best headed goal I've ever seen. It was a pretty low-key competition, that's probably why the goal doesn't get much of a mention.

I glad this is open again - not sure why it needed cleaning as I can't fathom why people would argue over McMahon. He was a fantastic, fantastic player for us.

the thread was hijacked by a beaut.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: February 23, 2011, 11:07:23 pm »
It was definitely scored from distance. A bit like Smicer's at Istanbul if I remember right, from a similar distance and position.

Barnes back heeled to Houghton who pulled it back for McMahon to drive in from just inside the area.

My favourite McMahon goal was on his debut for us at Goodison of all places. He got massive abuse from the home fans that day, but hit a 30 yard daisy cutter into the Gwladys Street net just before h/t to put us 3 up, although it finished 3-2 after they fought back 2nd half. I was stood behind that goal with 6 Evertonian mates!! It tends to get overlooked because Dalglish scored after just 18 seconds (and missed two sitters in the last 10 minutes!!).

Great player. On a par with Souness in my opinion, but not quite as good as Gerrard.

Offline Fazakerley Red

• No longer angry :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fazakerley Red
« Reply #199 on: February 23, 2011, 11:09:56 pm »
in the rank of centre mids for liverpool i says 1.souness 2.gerrard.3 mc mahon  but not much between 2 and 3 but for me both are still behind souness .