Author Topic: Rugby League  (Read 46668 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Rugby League
« Reply #600 on: February 19, 2024, 07:48:28 pm »
Just saw this on Twitter. NRL kicking off in Vegas in early March. Little explainer for the Americans. Reckon anyone will pay attention to it there or is it hard for them to look beyond their own sports?

https://twitter.com/NRL/status/1759383044312473977

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #601 on: February 19, 2024, 07:57:12 pm »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #602 on: February 19, 2024, 08:03:11 pm »
Just saw this on Twitter. NRL kicking off in Vegas in early March. Little explainer for the Americans. Reckon anyone will pay attention to it there or is it hard for them to look beyond their own sports?

https://twitter.com/NRL/status/1759383044312473977
The yanks only really like sports they can call themselves ‘World Champions’ in.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: February 19, 2024, 08:04:16 pm »
Feel like it’s a sport that the Americans could really take to but I think NFL is too big over there and this would be seen as an alternative or not as good to them.

Thanks for the vid though, never knew there was a position on the pitch that gave you two points for a DG!
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: February 19, 2024, 08:12:56 pm »
I;m with Alberto here, the yanks that are pretty shit to make the NF could do well in league with their speed and atlethcism.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #605 on: February 19, 2024, 09:24:16 pm »
Feel like it’s a sport that the Americans could really take to but I think NFL is too big over there and this would be seen as an alternative or not as good to them.

Thanks for the vid though, never knew there was a position on the pitch that gave you two points for a DG!

Me neither! Joe Lyndon’s must have been worth about 4!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #606 on: February 20, 2024, 12:58:34 am »

https://twitter.com/RedVeeDotNet/status/1759635933844963817
Yup, he knew he'd been bad then, agree with your earlier point, no excuse and no wonder Castleford gave a coded statement
 Castleford have requested chance to meet with Rugby Football League to seek clarity on the gradings following the Watts incident."I think you could see everybody in the game's reaction to Liam Watts alone," director of rugby operations Danny Wilson told the club website.
"At the end of the day, people make mistakes, players make mistakes, match officials make mistakes, and you can live with that if it sits with that game. When it goes to the match review panel it gets graded in a way in comparison to other instances over the weekend.
"We're left a bit confused so we need to get our house in order pretty quick. To do that, we need some explanation of why they are graded the way they are. We've asked for an urgent meeting with the powers that be for some explanation."
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: February 20, 2024, 12:59:15 am »

They will be impressed by the lack of safety gear
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #608 on: February 20, 2024, 04:07:31 am »
More blatant inconsistencies in the officiating in the wigan game.

The hit to the head by I think Ellis was worse than the Watts on Dupree (Dupree seemed to duck into the shoulder of Watts to initiate the contact - this is a massive flaw in the new rules)

But how the Smith spear-tackle wasn't a red is ridiculous. Was the worst spear I've seen in a good few seasons, The Cas coach said later the VR recommended a red to the ref, but the ref refused and only gave a yellow.

Be interesting what the disciplinary do. That's a 2/3 game ban every time.

But the WCC and everything.

Then you have the new no-flopping rules. Enforced pretty uniformly.innall the other games. Liam Farrell allowed to continue to flop with impunity (and he does that thing where, whilst lying on the tackled player, he spins on his stomach to look like he's busy but really just eating up more seconds, then invariably gets off the wrong side of the ruck to give the scummy twats more time to get set defensively.

Hoping Penrith absolutely paste these wankers.

Oooh, salty.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #609 on: February 23, 2024, 07:15:11 am »
#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: February 23, 2024, 04:40:44 pm »
NRL powerbrokers are reportedly considering a bold move to buy the English Super League in what is shaping to be a historic investment.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2024-nrl-buying-the-english-super-league-peter-vlandys-nrl-finances-england-australia-news-videos-highlights/news-story/f3429b6680a2d94b6294dc01e899c32d
Well, this country is ruled from the south and they don't give a shit about RL down there so, Sky use it, BBC are half hearted (but decent), so strangely enough, I'm not against it in principle. NRL is fantastic and we can be just as good if we follow their path. Just look at the NRL in Las Vegas next weekend, selling loads of tickets.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: February 23, 2024, 04:51:29 pm »
Okay that would be interesting.  ???

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: February 23, 2024, 09:31:58 pm »
Okay that would be interesting.  ???

They want to move SL back to winter.

It would kill the game.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: February 23, 2024, 09:35:18 pm »
Back in the here and now, there was an accidental clash of heads in the Hull-Warrington game tonight, Warrington ball carrier/Hull defender.

Because the new rules are an absolute joke and put all the onus of responsibility on the tackler to avoid head contact with the ball carrier, the Hull defender was sent off.

An utter farce

Every fan forecast this, but the RFL make the Everton hierarchy look genius in comparison

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: February 24, 2024, 12:08:58 am »
They want to move SL back to winter.

It would kill the game.

I'm not disagreeing (or agreeing) but what makes you say that, I'm relatively neutral to it myself but prepared to be convinced either way.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: February 24, 2024, 09:21:52 am »

I'm not disagreeing (or agreeing) but what makes you say that, I'm relatively neutral to it myself but prepared to be convinced either way.

The game will suffer on mudbath pitches (winters getting wetter and wetter). We'll have a return to the lumbering rugby of old. I remember the days of Brendan Hill.

The idea seems to be that each SL club would 'align' with an NRL club and players could interchange as the competitions would no run simultaneously (barring some overlap start/end). You know that that would be principally in favour of the NRL 'parent', so taking all the top UK talent and sending over fringe/second-raters in return

Crowds and interest in the game would wane (colder, wetter, darker, worse players, playing a mud-wrestle borefest in awful conditions.

Not to mention having to compete again with football (and the RU season)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 09:41:20 am by Nobby Reserve »

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #616 on: February 24, 2024, 10:27:55 am »

The game will suffer on mudbath pitches (winters getting wetter and wetter). We'll have a return to the lumbering rugby of old. I remember the days of Brendan Hill.

The idea seems to be that each SL club would 'align' with an NRL club and players could interchange as the competitions would no run simultaneously (barring some overlap start/end). You know that that would be principally in favour of the NRL 'parent', so taking all the top UK talent and sending over fringe/second-raters in return

Crowds and interest in the game would wane (colder, wetter, darker, worse players, playing a mud-wrestle borefest in awful conditions.

Not to mention having to compete again with football (and the RU season)

Mind you RL competes with football & RU anyway, & every other year you have RL competing with the Euros or World Cup, main problem with RL, it hardly gets mentioned particularly in the Southern based print media, compared with RU.

Agree with the other points.

It did happen in before RL moved to summer, Aussie players would play the full Australian season, then play in the UK during the Australian off season.

#Sausages

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: February 24, 2024, 03:32:37 pm »
It did happen in before RL moved to summer, Aussie players would play the full Australian season, then play in the UK during the Australian off season.

Yep. My first season of watching Saints was in 1984/5 when my best mate (who went on to play for Saints himself) got me to go along to see this amazing player called Mal Meninga, so I do remember that 'off season' thing.  ;D

Used to work the other way, too, with some of our best players picked up on off-season deals.

Problem is now, new rules are being brought in to limit the number of minutes any player in SL can play.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #618 on: February 24, 2024, 09:23:23 pm »
Some wild reffing in this game so far

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #619 on: February 24, 2024, 09:27:51 pm »
Wigans Liam Moore gives a blatant non try there and video ref backs it up despite a clear gap between grounding and the try line. Farcical. And 2 missed forward passes for the 2nd try.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: February 24, 2024, 09:43:51 pm »
Why would the Aussies send a team here in future to face this? Making a farce of the sport

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: February 24, 2024, 09:59:55 pm »
Wigans Liam Moore gives a blatant non try there and video ref backs it up despite a clear gap between grounding and the try line. Farcical. And 2 missed forward passes for the 2nd try.

A disgraceful episode all round. First the disciplinary then the ref have blatantly bent over backwards to help these scum win.

Fuming.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #622 on: February 24, 2024, 10:01:36 pm »

A disgraceful episode all round. First the disciplinary then the ref have blatantly bent over backwards to help these scum win.

Fuming.

Still, nice to see Aussies lose.

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #623 on: February 24, 2024, 10:06:56 pm »
great win for wigan

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: February 24, 2024, 11:00:32 pm »

Fuming.

LOL 😂
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: February 24, 2024, 11:03:44 pm »
This scum had a great evening, and enjoyed a great game of rugby.

An honour to watch Cleary, Yeo, Edwards, To'o, and others play live.

Wigan's defence was epic, and bodes well for this season.
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #626 on: February 24, 2024, 11:21:33 pm »
Liam Moore of Wigan clear man of the match. Video ref a close second.

Tierney and Coote levels of abysmal.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #627 on: February 25, 2024, 11:59:42 am »
Don't usually watch run and wriggle but tuned in for the last ten and quite enjoyed it. 

Good win for Wigan, think the last time I watched a game Ray French was the commentator!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: February 26, 2024, 04:44:01 pm »
Don't usually watch run and wriggle but tuned in for the last ten and quite enjoyed it. 

Good win for Wigan, think the last time I watched a game Ray French was the commentator!

I take it that instead you are a fan of go down, pile on, wait and then just kick it anywhere (of which games I have been able to enjoy when played by Southern hemisphere teams or France)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: February 26, 2024, 04:50:08 pm »
  ;D

You may as well watch fat bastards in a sauna if you're watchnig Union.

Offline Bob Harris

• Main Stander
  • "for relaxing times, make it suntory time"
« Reply #630 on: February 26, 2024, 05:59:37 pm »
  ;D

You may as well watch fat bastards in a sauna if you're watchnig Union.

Very true

Offline Bob Harris

• Main Stander
« Reply #631 on: February 26, 2024, 06:00:04 pm »
Boring game

Offline Bob Harris

• Main Stander
« Reply #632 on: February 26, 2024, 06:11:54 pm »
Boring game

Just to clarify I find Union a boring game

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: March 10, 2024, 01:28:18 pm »
Quiet in here this weekend... 🤔
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: March 10, 2024, 03:24:02 pm »
Salford Shock Saints

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: March 10, 2024, 03:28:16 pm »
I watch all the games highlight (NRL and SL) which means I don't see everything until the weekend in cleared.
Leigh v Leeds was excellent, I will update with 4-5 minutes highlights the best games from both leagues later.
NRL is really hard to call this season, SL to a degree also but more about who can knock Wigan off the perch really (they are the best team but not too far ahead of Hull KR, Saints, Catalan, Warrington and Leeds. Salford, Leigh and  Huddersfield can beat anyone as well but not as consistent.
Down under it will be Penrith, Broncos and Storm but I like the look of Sydney Roosters this year. There will be someone else emerging from the pack as well, early days though.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: March 20, 2024, 02:17:33 pm »
Super League 2024

Well, 5 games in and so we can get a feel of where this season is going. I'd say Wigan are favourites but that Warrington (as always but never) and Hull KR will challenge them. Of course Saints will be around but they feel like they have slipped a bit whilst others have risen. Leeds and Catalan look like the other two possibles and Huddersfield, Leigh and Salford can beat others but not enough.

London are as good as down already

Highlights of SL (c5 minutes, without the scores) are here now, Leeds v Saints is on BBC red button on friday night (Challenge Sup)

https://superleagueplus.co.uk/home

BBC also have them (with the scores)

NRL 2024

Looks tasty this year, this might be the year Penrith are knocked off the top.

My best bet is Brisbane Broncos (Penrith play Brisbane in the early hours of thursday so that might help with that one)

Roosters (now with Dom Young) looking good as are Manly. Canberra and North Queensland look decent also.

All the highlights are here usually later in the evening (UK time) after the morning matches.

https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/?competition=111&round=2&season=2024&subType=Match+Highlight

Try these two 5 minute highlights for starters from last weekend

North Queensland Cowboys v Newcastle Knights

https://www.nrl.com/watch/news/cowboys-v-knights--round-2-2024-1637904/

Melbourne Storm v New Zealand Warriors (the end is just ridiculous)

https://www.nrl.com/watch/news/storm-v-warriors--round-2-2024-1638018/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 02:21:48 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #637 on: March 22, 2024, 11:28:41 pm »
Watch this try by Manu in Roosters blowout win against Rabbitohs. :o

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/13099811/joseph-manu-shines-in-incredible-sydney-roosters-try
#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: March 23, 2024, 01:12:21 am »
Manu is a great player, Roosters are my outside tip for this year (esepcially with Dom Young)
What about this try last week with 20 seconds to go in the Storm v Warriors game with the score 24-26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzjCiBVaNo

Oh, and Saints were good tonight, I want the Challenge Cup this year now
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 01:13:52 am by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #639 on: March 29, 2024, 05:02:58 pm »
Saints beat Wigan 12-4, Wigan had a player sent off too
#Sausages