Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1394662 times)

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #280 on: January 17, 2017, 12:56:34 am »
If Clyne had that game we'd laying into him. Getting caught in possession in the second half very nearly cost us, and many of their attacks came from his side.

Very young, and I can't imagine the pressure involved making your league debut (at 18) at that shit hole, but I don't think he's ready to be a PL starter just yet.

It's not as though a £90m player got caught in possession or anything.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: January 17, 2017, 01:13:27 am »
It's not as though a £90m player got caught in possession or anything.

No need for the sarcasm, just stating what I saw.

Lad has talent, just think he was a bit out of his depth yesterday. Which was expected.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #282 on: January 17, 2017, 03:05:51 am »
1. We are probably back in Europe next season and TAA should get plenty of games the next couple of years.
2. Clyne is 26 by April. So after a couple of seasons he will be in his late 20s and that might cause a periof of a couple of seasons where TAA and Clyne compete for the role and their differing attributes might make them suited to different games.
3. TAA is versatile and may be used as depth in other positions too.
4. The world's best teams have these dilemmas.

1. Agree
2. Agree - in fact, as good as Clyne is, we shouldn't rule out the possibility that Alexander-Arnold could become even better.
3. I'm basically not a fan of this unless we're planning on changing his position semi-permanently. He's definitely nowhere near good enough to get games at CM. In fact, he probably isn't even ahead of Ejaria in that position. RW? If someone of a similar quality to Mane is what we're looking for, I think Trent is a long way for being that good in the position.
4. Yeah but the world's best teams also loses these young players, and sometimes it costs them. E.g. Thiago Alcantara to Bayern, Toni Kroos to Real. The world's best teams do get over it, but it's still a shame when it happens.
5. I wouldn't be opposed to him going out on loan at some point. Not in the next couple of seasons, when he'll be young enough that cup/European games will be sufficient for his development. After that though, if he's not quite Clyne quality, he could feasibly go on loan to any number of good PL teams. Swansea, if they survive, would be a good option.

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: January 17, 2017, 03:20:39 am »
If Clyne had that game we'd laying into him. Getting caught in possession in the second half very nearly cost us, and many of their attacks came from his side.

Very young, and I can't imagine the pressure involved making your league debut (at 18) at that shit hole, but I don't think he's ready to be a PL starter just yet.

Clyne had a considerably worse game against them last season, he got absolutely torn to pieces.

Guess he wasn't a PL starter based on that either.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: January 17, 2017, 07:18:51 am »

Bit harsh mate.

Rob Jones made his debut at Old Trafford and was up against
Ryan Giggs. Jones like TAA had a debut to be proud of.

Oh Jones gave the ball away too.

Its football players give the ball away.

Jones turned out alright I suppose. Well until injury fucked him

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #285 on: January 17, 2017, 08:52:51 am »
He got rinsed a few times within the first 30 minutes but he grew into the game and I can only remember him diving into a tackle once more during the whole game.

He'll learn and it is all called progress. Well done to the lad I say, a solid game in a really tough match

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: January 17, 2017, 09:40:36 am »
I would have played Gomez right back.  Not convinced TAA's long term future will be as a full back.  He can play other positions.

He should play mid week and I hope he has a stormer, wherever used.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: January 17, 2017, 10:12:42 am »

I'd counter that.

Said much to me about what Klopp is trying to do seeing him in the line-up. There was no desire to cover that hole left by Clyne with Milner, and putting Moreno back in on the other side, or trying to fill it some other way - Klopp didn't go out and buy a cover/starter at the start of the season (which I was hoping for) - I think he's told Trent that he's the cover, and has given him the confidence you need by trusting the young lad to do just that. And then he gives his full debut at the hardest place to go to. That's a vote of confidence right there, and I thought he equipped himself very well. Yes, he got caught often at the start, which shouldn't be too surprising, but played pretty well after that I thought.

He came out of there pretty unscathed, and what a huge boost for him. I think after that, he'd take another start in his stride.

Offline s_andrews89

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #288 on: January 17, 2017, 10:21:54 am »
I'd counter that.

Said much to me about what Klopp is trying to do seeing him in the line-up. There was no desire to cover that hole left by Clyne with Milner, and putting Moreno back in on the other side, or trying to fill it some other way - Klopp didn't go out and buy a cover/starter at the start of the season (which I was hoping for) - I think he's told Trent that he's the cover, and has given him the confidence you need by trusting the young lad to do just that. And then he gives his full debut at the hardest place to go to. That's a vote of confidence right there, and I thought he equipped himself very well. Yes, he got caught often at the start, which shouldn't be too surprising, but played pretty well after that I thought.

He came out of there pretty unscathed, and what a huge boost for him. I think after that, he'd take another start in his stride.

Absolutely agree with this 100%.

Many better right backs have gone there and had terrible times, up against Martial, Rashford or any other left sided attacker in their history. He got done a few times, but so did Milner. He gave the ball away a few times, so did the rest of the team. He's 18 and was making his league debut for Liverpool at Old Trafford. most of us would have had brown underwear before we'd even stepped on the pitch.

Not sure I understand the (albeit few) shouts that his future isn't at right back. He's got everything in his locker to be a top full back. He's so calm it's unbelievable sometimes. The fact that Klopp was happy to start him instead of move Milner or risk Gomez' fitness says enough to me. Think he'll be getting a lot more games at RB this season as we go on too.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: January 17, 2017, 10:44:16 am »
Not sure I understand the (albeit few) shouts that his future isn't at right back. He's got everything in his locker to be a top full back.

He has everything in his locker to do it, I agree.

But he's got the tools to play other positions as well.  He's a very bright talent, that we can all agree on.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #290 on: January 17, 2017, 11:09:45 am »
That crossfield pass second half, can't remember was it to Coutinho or Firmino but it was an absolute peach.

Love this lad's attitude, that debut will stand him in relaly good stead.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline ctyapt

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #291 on: January 17, 2017, 11:21:22 am »
I was worried after Utds first forays down that flank that they were just going to target TAA and Martial would run riot. But absolute credit to the lad he got his head on and alright he didn't shut Martial down, but there was no easy pickings on our right side.

It was as klopp said a "wild" game at times , no one had time on the ball , loads of experienced players , top internationals were rushed harried caught in possession misplaced passes . Trent had a really solid game under the fiercest examination didn't let anyone down so fair fucks to him .
Also let's not forget that Clyne has had a bit of a shocker at OT was it last season?

All in , well played lad.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: January 17, 2017, 11:25:37 am »
I'm not sure what some fans expect from young players as they start to make the step up from youth to senior level football as very few come in, make an immediate impact and maintain that impact in every game they feature.

Those saying TAA isn't ready for PL starts, well of course he's not, ffs he's 18 and if he was ready because his talent was absolutely amazing, he'd have been playing there all season instead of Clyne. 

He's our back up RB, he's got a long way to go before he's replacing Clyne, he may never replace him but right now he's getting and taking the opportunities he's being given and hasn't let himself nor the Club down.

His starting debut could have been in a better (less pressured) fixture but it didn't faze him after he got to grips with things, he has the trust of his manager which is a powerful confidence boost and oh my word how much more is he going to learn by being able to analyse his own game and mistakes in a real live pressure situation.

He was neither outstanding, nor shite but it was a massive 90 minutes in terms of his development and we should rejoice that we had a scouser starting in this fixture for the first time since Stevie left.

Well done young man, was great seeing you out there.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: January 17, 2017, 12:11:44 pm »
I'm not sure what some fans expect from young players as they start to make the step up from youth to senior level football as very few come in, make an immediate impact and maintain that impact in every game they feature.

He was neither outstanding, nor shite but it was a massive 90 minutes in terms of his development and we should rejoice that we had a scouser starting in this fixture for the first time since Stevie left.

Indeed, as are almost all players, and TAA was essentially free in PL terms.

He is our back-up right-back and a perfectly adequate one. He may become our first-choice one eventually. I think we would be hard pushed to find a better back-up rb than him for anything under £10m.

It is nice to see us fill the squad out with the kids. Hopefully that will mean we can spend all our money buying top quality players for the first team. 
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline vallapureddy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: January 17, 2017, 12:24:27 pm »
Not berating Clyne or something, but TAA will be better than Clyne in the next 3 to 4 seasons. He has more tools to work with than Clyne.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: January 17, 2017, 12:31:08 pm »
Not berating Clyne or something, but TAA will be better than Clyne in the next 3 to 4 seasons. He has more tools to work with than Clyne.
Some statement that to be fair let's not put any pressure on TAA at this stage of his career.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: January 17, 2017, 12:32:16 pm »

Attacking-wise, probably.

Defensively, that's a bold call - hope so!

Offline simbo

• Kopite
« Reply #297 on: January 17, 2017, 02:00:51 pm »
I would have played Gomez right back.  Not convinced TAA's long term future will be as a full back.  He can play other positions.

He should play mid week and I hope he has a stormer, wherever used.

Gomez aint fit enough to play CB let alone Right back, plus all that twisting and turning at full back is the last thing he needs

Offline U13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: January 17, 2017, 02:09:21 pm »

That's a ridiculous shout at this stage for a number of reasons.

Predicting the trajectory of an 18 year old that's barely played at the top level is difficult enough but to then say he'll be better than one of the best full backs in the league?

Always shocks me how criminally under rated Clyne is by the way.

Offline U13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: January 17, 2017, 02:17:22 pm »

Those saying TAA isn't ready for PL starts, well of course he's not, ffs he's 18 and if he was ready because his talent was absolutely amazing, he'd have been playing there all season instead of Clyne. 

He's our back up RB, he's got a long way to go before he's replacing Clyne, he may never replace him but right now he's getting and taking the opportunities he's being given and hasn't let himself nor the Club down.

His starting debut could have been in a better (less pressured) fixture but it didn't faze him after he got to grips with things, he has the trust of his manager which is a powerful confidence boost and oh my word how much more is he going to learn by being able to analyse his own game and mistakes in a real live pressure situation.

I don't think anyone saying he didn't play well is placing too high an expectation on TAA as a young player, they're acknowledging that he's just not at the stage to meet the expectation of arguably the most intense fixture in the english football calendar. That's not a slight on TAA or a lack of understanding of youth development, it's just acknowledging that he's not ready yet.

I agree with the poster that said had Clyne put in that performance he'd have received plenty of criticism and I'd go further than that by saying had Moreno played like that he'd have been slaughtered.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: January 17, 2017, 06:21:16 pm »
Someone I know keeps calling him Terence Trent Darby.

Gonna lamp the fella soon.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: January 17, 2017, 06:28:03 pm »
Gomez aint fit enough to play CB let alone Right back, plus all that twisting and turning at full back is the last thing he needs

yeah ok.

Offline simbo

• Kopite
« Reply #302 on: January 17, 2017, 06:29:01 pm »

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: January 17, 2017, 06:31:02 pm »
yeah ok.

He probably isn't fit enough yet, he will be eased back into the team.

Offline MaxStafford

• Main Stander
« Reply #304 on: January 17, 2017, 07:33:39 pm »
He looked ok against Martial I have to say

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: January 17, 2017, 07:41:29 pm »
Klopp already said that he knows AA had some trouble at the start and then aquitted himself quite well. oddly repetitive discussion going on.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #306 on: January 17, 2017, 08:04:15 pm »
I think the conscensus is he had a decent game and has potential to develop. Obviously Klopp trusts him otherwise he could have played Milner at RB and Moreno at LB.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #307 on: January 17, 2017, 08:28:48 pm »
Bit harsh mate.

Rob Jones made his debut at Old Trafford and was up against
Ryan Giggs. Jones like TAA had a debut to be proud of.

Oh Jones gave the ball away too.

Its football players give the ball away.

Jones turned out alright I suppose. Well until injury fucked him

Not true on Rob Jones.. He hardly ever gave the ball away.  He was ridiculously good in possession.

Similar to Milner at left back in that respect..

But (and it's a big but), Jones had played about 75 times for Crew...

There's the huge difference...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: January 17, 2017, 08:31:31 pm »
Not true on Rob Jones.. He hardly ever gave the ball away.  He was ridiculously good in possession.

Similar to Milner at left back in that respect..

But (and it's a big but), Jones had played about 75 times for Crew...

There's the huge difference...

Think he meant in the sense that all footballers give the ball away sometimes.

TAA will have a job to be anywhere near as good as Rob Jones but early signs are great.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #309 on: January 17, 2017, 08:32:59 pm »
Think he meant in the sense that all footballers give the ball away sometimes.

TAA will have a job to be anywhere near as good as Rob Jones but early signs are great.
I know, but I couldn't bear anyone saying that Rob Jones gave the ball away ;D

My point though, is that he's played 75 times for Crew, which is huge...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #310 on: January 17, 2017, 08:40:01 pm »
Very impressed with his debut. I'm sure it wasn't easy for him to get thrown into (arguably) one of our biggest league matches of the season at Old Trafford, but he played well. He had a few shaky moments early on, but you could tell he grew into the game.

Also, must be said that his pass to Coutinho on the counter was excellent.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2017, 08:43:36 pm »
I know, but I couldn't bear anyone saying that Rob Jones gave the ball away ;D

My point though, is that he's played 75 times for Crew, which is huge...

It's mad how he managed 75 games in three years and then only 155 in 8 for us.

Offline andywilko

• Anny Roader
  • Thank You
« Reply #312 on: January 17, 2017, 09:15:08 pm »
His winger got hooked on 65 minutes - says he did a job.
And with such simplicity,
The European Cup, surely, is won.

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: January 18, 2017, 09:40:27 pm »
Played really well tonight and made some vital clearances!

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: January 18, 2017, 09:41:43 pm »
Defensively brilliant tonight, showing some very good signs aint he.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #315 on: January 18, 2017, 09:42:35 pm »
He's going to be a player - really composed and great athleticism. A level above tonight

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: January 18, 2017, 09:42:56 pm »
MOTM for me. Thought he did excellent. About the only one who did.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: January 18, 2017, 09:44:19 pm »
Some great defensive work today, cut out lots of danger.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: January 18, 2017, 09:45:08 pm »
MOTM tonight.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #319 on: January 18, 2017, 09:48:03 pm »
Backed up from Sunday really well. Thought he'd struggle later on but he looked sharp throughout.