Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12304451 times)

Offline Hidegkuti

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #104200 on: January 10, 2022, 12:54:54 am »
What a fantastic day for the academy - absolute credit to the effort that has been going on behind the scenes.

5 players from the academy starting at Anfield in addition to an academy graduate who has made himself a rotation option in the first team - and all of them showed signs of exactly why they were given a first team shirt.

Of course not every player will make it here but the fact that the players coming from the academy are of the same profile as the first team means that as and when required they can slot into the first team without significant drop off. This is what Ferguson’s Utd team were so good at - and only achievable if you have a few years of stability of manager.

Regarding those who played today:

- Kaide looks like a potential superstar in the making - and I’ve thought that the first time I saw him kick a ball for the 18s - kid just has it

- Bradley looks like he’s developing into a very good attacking FB (he’s never gonna be Trent - but who is?) looks like a Robbo style FB - up and down all day and with good end product - once he physically matures I think he’ll be really good - has a really high ceiling

- Dixon Bonner was really good today and much better than I expected - actually played really well when he played further up (swapped position with Curtis). As someone above mentioned, we were worse after he went off, which given we brought on more established players, is a heck of a compliment. However, given his age, he may need to go out and actually get game time to give him the best chance

- Tyler seems to have seamlessly adapted to adult football and I guess the fact the manager puts him in against Milan away says it all - absolutely love how he’s always scanning over his shoulder before receiving the ball - amazing to think if Cain and Clarkson hadn’t gone out on loan he probably wouldn’t have got a minute for the first team

- Woltman probably found it the most difficult out of the lot but fundamentally he was playing one of the most difficult positions in out team (which everyone other than Bobby has struggles) - but still had some lovely touches

Special mention to the lovely cameo by Frauendorf - lots of tenacity, put himself about, pressed well and when he got on the ball showed some lovely moments of quality

Up the amazing academy reds!!!🔴 🔴 🔴

And to think we also have Beck, Balagizi etc who could easily have played today 👏

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104201 on: January 10, 2022, 01:09:53 am »
It's not about what you expect, it's about being positive about our youth players as they live the dream. What the hell use is 'realism' in this? Where does it get us? By us I mean fans and supporters.

If we can't be hopeful and full of joy and dreams for our young players at a time when they have barely even begun their adult careers, then when can we? There'll be plenty of buckets of cold realism that they, and we, will have to face later down the line,

But I see I'm alone in this. The FM-isation of football support is nearly complete and everyone now thinks they're scouts and managers giving their 'expert opinion' that a player whose career has barely started won't make it. Pretty dismal state of affairts, really.

I think some of it comes from getting to see these players much more often now due to LFC TV, social media, etc. So players that are talked up aren't a mystery like they may have been even 15 years ago. I don't think anyone isn't really excited or positive about them, however. Or at least not that I can see.

The other aspect of it is that Klopp is a coach that will readily give youth a shot to impress, and it hasn't happened yet for Dixon-Bonner (for example).  I thought the same thing today when I saw him - good player and some good skill - but he wasn't dominating a Shrewsbury team that's two leagues below Liverpool. I don't read that as denigrating the kid or even writing him off as he may still carve out a nice career in football.

It's hard to make it here. Very, very, very hard, really.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104202 on: January 10, 2022, 01:16:31 am »
I don’t think the academy is particularly special at the minute, we have one or two players who could possibly make it but not quite a stand out talent as we’ve had from other eras, bar maybe Gordon, the best policy as it’s been for years is still to get one or two of the most promising 15-17 year olds from lower academies but still there are a few academies in this league who tend to produce higher level of homegrown players in my opinion.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #104203 on: January 10, 2022, 05:56:43 am »
A young lad from Barons Hey came on today.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 05:58:48 am by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104204 on: January 10, 2022, 06:10:14 am »
I don’t think the academy is particularly special at the minute, we have one or two players who could possibly make it but not quite a stand out talent as we’ve had from other eras, bar maybe Gordon, the best policy as it’s been for years is still to get one or two of the most promising 15-17 year olds from lower academies but still there are a few academies in this league who tend to produce higher level of homegrown players in my opinion.

who other than gordon do you think might make it? as with most youth we do tend to overrate our own but then almost all of us here would love to see most of our youth make the step up. A boost for other players in the youth team as well.

that said past few seasons we have made a pretty good deal out of selling our promising but not just quite good enough prospects. See brewster and solanke.

The not quite stand out talents did enough so far to be honest this season. Stepping up and filling in as and when needed. they be solid squad players that might save us a few quid if decide to stay. The likes of kelleher, neco, bradley, beck, morton and dixon bonners are also keeping us competitive in all competitions.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104205 on: January 10, 2022, 08:00:42 am »
For Dixon-Bonner it was a good shop window game. Couldn't get a loan in the summer and was out on trial. Now he gets two games with first team players for us and hopefully has done enough to get decent interest. For most players it's going to be about getting luck/chances like that which can change your career direction

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104206 on: January 10, 2022, 08:04:07 am »
I think the standard level of talent coming through is higher than it was a few years ago.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #104207 on: January 10, 2022, 08:44:50 am »

Chelsea are the standard bearer for youth talent, if not for actually bringing them through to their first team. City are starting to bring a few a high quality in as well, although it's the hardest first team to break into - you need to be a Foden-level talent.

We've always got a few squad gaps, so the opportunities for progression are more readily there.

Our best young talents are Gordon and Elliot who were elite talents we signed at 15-16. We should be making a couple of those every year. They won't all come off but it saves you a fortune in the long run and even a Solanke or Brewster who don't make it here can still fetch you good money in a sale.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #104208 on: January 10, 2022, 09:26:03 am »
I think the standard level of talent coming through is higher than it was a few years ago.

Quite obviously so.  We may not have 10 worldies on tap, but look at the number of decent players coming through including those for whom we have got fees for

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #104209 on: January 10, 2022, 10:00:24 am »
It's always tricky when it comes to your own youth players, isn't it.  We tend to overrated ours because it's always great when someone does break through.  Of the current crop, I think Morton, Bradley and Gordon look the most promising.  Musialowski has something about him but I'm not convinced he'll make it at the top level.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104210 on: January 10, 2022, 10:22:45 am »
There will be the clear standout talents with high probability of succeeding- Elliot is the only one in this bracket for me.

There will be others who are clearly talented and people have high 'hopes' for- Gordon, Bradley, Morton and Musialowski

Then there is a group that tends to go under the radar and blossom explosively at a later stage, only for people to start questioning the wisdom of doubting them in the first place, see how Chelsea let go of Salah, Lukaku- how not many thought much about Van Dijk early in his career.

In this bracket I put this lad for us- Frauendorf - watch out for this lad.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 10:24:26 am by Sinyoro »

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #104211 on: January 10, 2022, 10:37:58 am »
What a fantastic day for the academy - absolute credit to the effort that has been going on behind the scenes.

There's been plenty of great days for the academy in recent years, that's for sure. I'm one of those who will always really want to see the strongest team we can go for but with a significant drop off in opposition quality it's always nice to see young players come in and get their first starts. Thought the young lads done well yesterday, Gordon was lively in the first half and his goal was excellent, Bradley looked much improved from a difficult 45 minutes against Leicester, and Dixon Bonner impressed me throughout. Woltman struggled for involvement but you'd expect that against experienced professional footballers whatever league they play in. Glad Frauendorf got his senior debut because I've been very impressed by him.

There's plenty of these players to have high hopes for, of course we all want them to succeed. Elliot will get the chance to impress because Klopp loves him and will clearly give him games. Gordon was brought in for what might look a small fee going forward but is really an investment in what we believe he can do, to have even played two matches and score a goal for Liverpool at his age is crazy and while it doesn't guarantee anything going forward there's signs to suggest he's going to be a fine player. Frauendorf personally gives me the look of someone who can be a fine forward if he gets the chances  in the future. I think it's the most exciting set up we've had at academy level in years, but patience will be key of course.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #104212 on: January 10, 2022, 10:41:33 am »
Quite obviously so.  We may not have 10 worldies on tap, but look at the number of decent players coming through including those for whom we have got fees for

Our big returns have generally been those we've signed at 15-17 (Ibe, Sterling, Brewster, Solanke), although the major first team success has been Trent who has come through the ranks. Curtis Jones as well. The biggest prospects now have been in that 15-17 signing demographic (Gordon and Elliot).

We've got the edge back on Everton considerably when it comes to the best local talent though. Gordon looks decent but he wouldn't be near our team, same with shite like Tom Davies and Jonjoe Kenny. There's opportunities to get games at Liverpool but to stay in the first team and play a regular game is a very high bar.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 10:48:12 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104213 on: January 10, 2022, 01:26:18 pm »
who other than gordon do you think might make it? as with most youth we do tend to overrate our own but then almost all of us here would love to see most of our youth make the step up. A boost for other players in the youth team as well.

that said past few seasons we have made a pretty good deal out of selling our promising but not just quite good enough prospects. See brewster and solanke.

The not quite stand out talents did enough so far to be honest this season. Stepping up and filling in as and when needed. they be solid squad players that might save us a few quid if decide to stay. The likes of kelleher, neco, bradley, beck, morton and dixon bonners are also keeping us competitive in all competitions.

I really like Musialowski, I feel if he would have played yesterday there’s chances he would have looked like the most dangerous player on the pitch, easily the best dribbler in the youth team and always backs himself to have a go at defenders which I really like from him. Problem with him like a lot of players games which is first and foremost based around his natural ability his dribbling and close control, you sometimes feel like he struggles overall with the tactical side of things, in comparison to Kaide Gordon who is very much Sterling like with his ability to read the game, he might even have a bit less natural ability than Musialowski overall but his brain and extra tiny bit of athleticism might stand him in better stead going forward.

He also seems to have rotten luck with his timing, always seems to get injured or have an illness just when he would get games for the first team, happened last summer pre season and has happened again yesterday with him missing out (probably due to Covid) he surely would have played because most of the lads who did aren’t at a more advance level than him, with clubs as big as ours timing is everything and it’s these little things that can make it harder for you in the long run.

Apart from that though I would say him Balagizi and Gordon are easily the three most talented lads we have in that u23/ first team belt, at U18 level probably Bobby Clark who we just signed from Newcastle in the summer who came with a big reputation, and Oakley Cannonier who has like 15 goals in 11 appearances and is a goal machine at that level, but I have doubts about his physicality overall, especially in the forward role he’s played this season, for a couple of these lads even including Musialowski, if they were a couple inches taller and a couple ya4s faster I would have bigger hopes overall.

Bajcetic who we signed from Celta Vigo is a quality footballer also, he has as good of a chance as anyone not named Gordon to make it here, either as a DM or CB.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104214 on: January 10, 2022, 04:15:49 pm »
Maybe the youth teams are not brimming with high quality players at the moment, but when are they ever? A generation passed between Stevie G and Alexander-Arnold breaking through.

However, the youth team are now producing players good enough to fill gaps in the squad that would once have been filled by purchases. Even if Neco Williams, Rhys Williams, Morton et al don’t become first team legends, they will make us a tidy profit. For this reason, I think the youth team is doing ok.
Justice for the 96!

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104215 on: January 10, 2022, 04:37:31 pm »
Look at the profit we have made from selling players.
Our academy is doing very well.

Yes we dont have the athletes that Chelsea have for instance but they have more money & a bigger pool to pick from.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #104216 on: January 10, 2022, 05:41:15 pm »
Maybe the youth teams are not brimming with high quality players at the moment, but when are they ever? A generation passed between Stevie G and Alexander-Arnold breaking through.

However, the youth team are now producing players good enough to fill gaps in the squad that would once have been filled by purchases. Even if Neco Williams, Rhys Williams, Morton et al don’t become first team legends, they will make us a tidy profit. For this reason, I think the youth team is doing ok.

That's true, and those two are perfect examples of what the quality has to be like these days to break into this Liverpool team. Generally speaking, to me it seems like less academy talents are coming through to become first teamers all over the place these days, largely due to the resources even the 'smaller' teams have right now. It's never been harder to succeed.

I'm reminded of the Villa game in the League Cup a couple of years back, where we had to play the kids. They might have been comfortably beaten but they gave a great account of themselves and the club. Most people recognised this but I was baffled to see afterwards the amount of takes that read something similar to, "most of these will never make it at Liverpool." Well yeah, that's generally how it works, isn't it? If two or three of them 'make it' here, we've done well.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #104217 on: January 10, 2022, 06:58:16 pm »
The under 23's are playing tonight against Derby, it's on LFC Go and LFC TV for those who've got it. We get another look at Frauendorf who features.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104218 on: January 10, 2022, 07:02:20 pm »
The under 23's are playing tonight against Derby, it's on LFC Go and LFC TV for those who've got it. We get another look at Frauendorf who features.

I've just been trying to get that up on mine but it was showing Goal Rush instead but maybe I was too early if it's only just kicking off.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104219 on: January 10, 2022, 07:08:23 pm »
I've just been trying to get that up on mine but it was showing Goal Rush instead but maybe I was too early if it's only just kicking off.

I'm just about to try it myself, that's weird because it says it on both on the official website.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104220 on: January 10, 2022, 07:09:55 pm »

It's on my tv now.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104221 on: January 10, 2022, 07:17:05 pm »
I'm just about to try it myself, that's weird because it says it on both on the official website.

It's on now Jill, I was probably too early even though it was saying it was currently live.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104222 on: January 10, 2022, 07:23:22 pm »
It's on now Jill, I was probably too early even though it was saying it was currently live.

They have made a good start Clarkson controlling midfield.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104223 on: January 10, 2022, 07:28:41 pm »
They have made a good start Clarkson controlling midfield.

It's good to actually have some academy football to watch for a change.  I think all I've seen so far this season has been the European games.

There's a few making their 23s debut by the sound of it which just shows how depleted we are as I think Derby is doing well this season so no pushovers.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104224 on: January 10, 2022, 07:34:07 pm »
It's good to actually have some academy football to watch for a change.  I think all I've seen so far this season has been the European games.

There's a few making their 23s debut by the sound of it which just shows how depleted we are as I think Derby is doing well this season so no pushovers.

They have just said seven Academy players have had first team football this season, pretty impressive, Frauendorf and Balagizi have been exciting.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104225 on: January 10, 2022, 07:36:29 pm »
They have just said seven Academy players have had first team football this season, pretty impressive, Frauendorf and Balagizi have been exciting.

That run from Frauendorf just then  :o

Yeah it's impressive how much we've been able to rely on so many.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104226 on: January 10, 2022, 08:06:47 pm »
That run from Frauendorf just then  :o

Yeah it's impressive how much we've been able to rely on so many.

He is very exciting and direct. It'll be interesting to see how Layton Stewart does when he comes back. Because of the injury a couple have crept in front of him, but he's a natural finisher and deserves a bit of luck.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104227 on: January 10, 2022, 08:12:01 pm »
He is very exciting and direct. It'll be interesting to see how Layton Stewart does when he comes back. Because of the injury a couple have crept in front of him, but he's a natural finisher and deserves a bit of luck.

Injuries are the one thing that scuppers a lot of players at this stage of their careers, so not being available when the opportunity arises opens up a space for someone else.

Getting back into your rhythm after a long lay off is also about mental strength too.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104228 on: January 10, 2022, 08:24:14 pm »
Injuries are the one thing that scuppers a lot of players at this stage of their careers, so not being available when the opportunity arises opens up a space for someone else.

Getting back into your rhythm after a long lay off is also about mental strength too.

Definitely he’s got a vital pre-season up ahead maybe a couple of games if he’s lucky.

Owen Beck has been good tonight always up there. Getting closer.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104229 on: January 10, 2022, 08:29:17 pm »
Definitely he’s got a vital pre-season up ahead maybe a couple of games if he’s lucky.

Owen Beck has been good tonight always up there. Getting closer.

It feels a bit like "one of those games" where we're creating loads but nothing's working, yet.  One thing with our lads though is they're fitter than most and score a lot of late goals.

Mini Mentality Monsters  ;)

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104230 on: January 10, 2022, 08:31:29 pm »
You were saying? 😀

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104231 on: January 10, 2022, 08:32:11 pm »
That was a lovely pass by Norris in that move.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104232 on: January 10, 2022, 08:35:58 pm »
You were saying? 😀

;D

Whoever it is upending our players all the time on our left needs a serious talking to by the ref if he's not going to book them.  It's getting ridiculous now and no wonder our lads are getting frustrated with it.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104233 on: January 10, 2022, 08:41:29 pm »
;D

Whoever it is upending our players all the time on our left needs a serious talking to by the ref if he's not going to book them.  It's getting ridiculous now and no wonder our lads are getting frustrated with it.

Is it the same one who keeps getting soft free kicks?

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104234 on: January 10, 2022, 08:44:30 pm »
Is it the same one who keeps getting soft free kicks?

That's the one.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104235 on: January 10, 2022, 08:45:19 pm »
That looks a nasty injury for the Derby lad.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104236 on: January 10, 2022, 08:51:34 pm »
That looks a nasty injury for the Derby lad.

Yeah he was getting treatment for ages.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104237 on: January 10, 2022, 08:53:10 pm »
That 16 year old Bobby Clarke has got a good turn on him. 😀

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104238 on: January 10, 2022, 08:54:33 pm »
That 16 year old Bobby Clarke has got a good turn on him. 😀

Is that Lee Clark's lad? How did he do?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104239 on: January 10, 2022, 09:04:24 pm »
Is that Lee Clark's lad? How did he do?

I'm not sure, he came on right at the end and did a beautiful turn to make a really good chance. Yes, he is the one.