Author Topic: Roberto Firmino  (Read 2012713 times)

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roberto Firmino
« Reply #360 on: February 19, 2016, 11:12:54 am »
Concern would be that they were all as a striker and not any other position. Would we have to choose him or Sturridge?

and all the time he has been playing without links or support that you would say have excelled...now he has an opportunity to play wth coutinho and sturridge, where there will be greater movement and directness.

firmino has lots to offer, and has shwn glimpses.....he has been productive, yes, but he needs to continue on his upward curve

so, no, not firmino instead of sturridge, but then why would we have to make that choice...both, and there will be times when one or the other is not playing through injury, rotation and selection
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #361 on: February 19, 2016, 11:13:22 am »
Next season will determine whether he becomes the consistent top quality player we're desperate for or another Luis Garcia type who continuously blows hot and cold. Only time will tell.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: February 19, 2016, 11:21:03 am »
Next season will determine whether he becomes the consistent top quality player we're desperate for or another Luis Garcia type who continuously blows hot and cold. Only time will tell.

kind of agree about how critical next season is for him....not sure he is really a luis garcia player though......i tend to think that deep down we all knew that little luis was never going to be more than an occasional match winner...h had a quality that few possess, but lacked the ability to impose himself on the game regularly......i think firmino is a player who is more likely to have control and influence in the game regularly, how much he can is the question (and i am not talking suarez or gerrard levels of influence of many games, but still, you get what i mean).....he does have an ability to come up with bits of magic, but i would be disappointed if he turns out to be as fleeting as luis (i also think he is not as mercurial as luis, whose fleetingness was forgiveable given his penchant for the big stage!!)
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: February 19, 2016, 12:32:32 pm »
He's not much different to Coutinho though is he? Coutinho can blow as hot and cold from game to game. We have two attackers who are capable of some brilliant football when they're at their best, but also dropping off massively from their top level. Sturridge himself can appear a bit lethargic at times.

I think it's clear we need to add one further elite attacker to compensate for the bad days Firmino and Coutinho will have. That'll help us a ton for games like last night, when our main attacking trio are quite a bit off.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #364 on: February 19, 2016, 12:55:01 pm »
Coutinho can blow as hot and cold from game to game. We have two attackers who are capable of some brilliant football when they're at their best, but also dropping off massively from their top level. Sturridge himself can appear a bit lethargic at times.
All this is because we`re still searching for that shape that suits us the best and we`re still looking for our identity. I mean, who and what we are as a team? Formations change all the time and we don`t seem to try to play the same way from game to game.

Augsburg game is a classic case of being caught between two stools. We weren`t really technically good enough in midifeld ( especially first half ) thus didn`t create space in the final third nor we were exactly looking to transition quickly at any chance.

It`s clear we`re in experimental phase right now and Klopp is still looking to find the winning combination that will give us that consistency we`re looking for. Early in his tenure game plans were clear with narrow  4321 formation and fully committing to it but now we`re trying to do something else.

One thing is sure, soon we`ll have to commit to one way of playing where every player will fully understand what they`re meant to do in every moment of the match or these inconsistencies will continue.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #365 on: February 19, 2016, 01:02:42 pm »
Firmino's been extremely consistent unless you're viewing consistency as scoring every game?

Apart from his early time at the club and a couple of games post 'cracked back' he's been the same player

He works hard, wins a weirdly large amount of tackles for a front player, doesn't pass well when he's deeper on the pitch, comes alive in the final third, makes great runs into the box, can finish well.

He's not inconsistent at all

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #366 on: February 19, 2016, 02:07:04 pm »
Next season will determine whether he becomes the consistent top quality player we're desperate for

Very much so.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: February 19, 2016, 02:14:44 pm »
Firmino's been extremely consistent unless you're viewing consistency as scoring every game?

Apart from his early time at the club and a couple of games post 'cracked back' he's been the same player

He works hard, wins a weirdly large amount of tackles for a front player, doesn't pass well when he's deeper on the pitch, comes alive in the final third, makes great runs into the box, can finish well.

Absolute rubbish. Even his staunchest fans would admit he has been inconsistent,

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #368 on: February 19, 2016, 02:23:40 pm »
Absolute rubbish.
Just like your agenda.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: February 19, 2016, 03:17:19 pm »
Just like your agenda.

Typical little superfan aren't you. Someone doesn't agree with your assessment so you come out with childish posts like that. Either contribute to the thread or go and find someone else to stalk.

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: February 19, 2016, 03:37:05 pm »
he has been inconsistent to the extent he hasn't performed to his very best in every match sure, but even on his 'off days' he has still put in a solid 7/10 performance. i can't really recall one stinker he has had..

i would already conclude he has been a better signing for us than Lallana.
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: February 19, 2016, 03:46:10 pm »
Concern would be that they were all as a striker and not any other position. Would we have to choose him or Sturridge?

I think this question is premature at the moment.  He hasn't even played 2 full matches with Sturridge yet.  Once they develop an understanding our attack is really going to be something. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: February 19, 2016, 03:48:53 pm »
he has been inconsistent to the extent he hasn't performed to his very best in every match sure, but even on his 'off days' he has still put in a solid 7/10 performance. i can't really recall one stinker he has had..

i would already conclude he has been a better signing for us than Lallana.

Agree.  People also need to remember that it typically takes a full season for players to adapt to the Premier League.  Think he's been good for us and I expect next year that he'll be even better. 

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: February 19, 2016, 04:32:49 pm »
Absolute rubbish. Even his staunchest fans would admit he has been inconsistent,

Jack gave examples of consistent performance. If you think he's so inconsistent that you're willing to rubbish another poster's opinion then provide some examples of your own. What does he do that differs from game to game so substantially?
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline MerseyParadise

• Kopite
  • Wool son of Scotty road 'arl fella
« Reply #374 on: February 19, 2016, 04:42:29 pm »
He's lousy , light in the challenge , weak in the shot
Insert obscure quote here

Offline MerseyParadise

• Kopite
  • Wool son of Scotty road 'arl fella
« Reply #375 on: February 19, 2016, 04:43:38 pm »

Id be over the moon if he produced Champions league semi final and big match goals
Insert obscure quote here

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #376 on: February 19, 2016, 04:44:25 pm »
He's lousy , light in the challenge , weak in the shot

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: February 19, 2016, 05:12:34 pm »
Jack gave examples of consistent performance. If you think he's so inconsistent that you're willing to rubbish another poster's opinion then provide some examples of your own. What does he do that differs from game to game so substantially?

Inconsistent as in showing top quality moments and then poor quality as in poor passes, losing possession, periods when he goes missing, poor decision making. If he was more consistent he would be regarded by everyone as outstanding. Instead for a lot of people the jury is out. As I have said, hopefully next season will be the making of him but I can't believe that anyone who has watched him closely will honestly say that he has been consistent up to now.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: February 19, 2016, 05:14:43 pm »
Id be over the moon if he produced Champions league semi final and big match goals

I'd be over the moon if he produced Champions league qualifying round goals  :)

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: February 19, 2016, 05:21:49 pm »

I agree with this. I remember Suarez's first season there were the same complaints-he loses the ball-passes to no one-shoots from crazy angles. He went through several multi-game goal droughts but then we all saw what a great player he is. He even went 8 or 9 games without a goal in the second half of 13/14 if I remember correctly (don't quote me on it-I don't care if it's perfectly accurate). Firmino is very unconventional and sometimes it doesn't look great but he comes up with the goods. I would much rather have him on the pitch than off it. Fantastic player.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #380 on: February 19, 2016, 07:11:19 pm »

Precisely.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: February 20, 2016, 02:26:30 am »
I'm a big Firmino fan, but I feel he starts games slowly and takes a while to find his game. He consistently does find his game at some point every game, but I think the consistency angle is more that he isn't "on" from the first minute

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #382 on: February 23, 2016, 03:01:23 pm »

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #383 on: February 23, 2016, 04:03:58 pm »

This for me. The amount of running he does is astonishing. I think because he doesn't dive in and smash the opposition every time he is dismissed as lightweight. When he does something good he is suddenly classed as 'world class' (rather than it being a case of all those runs and passes finally coming off) and thus is born the whole 'blows hot and cold' argument. In fact he plays lovely, weighted balls all the time, sometimes someone scores off them, more often than not they stand on the bloody thing and beauty of the pass is forgotten.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #384 on: February 25, 2016, 01:55:01 pm »
Today's game is made for him
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Notorious IT

• Gilt complex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Alcoholic
« Reply #385 on: February 25, 2016, 02:40:51 pm »
Inconsistent as in showing top quality moments and then poor quality as in poor passes, losing possession, periods when he goes missing, poor decision making. If he was more consistent he would be regarded by everyone as outstanding. Instead for a lot of people the jury is out. As I have said, hopefully next season will be the making of him but I can't believe that anyone who has watched him closely will honestly say that he has been consistent up to now.

Funny how opinions can differ to the extreme, but I fully agree with above. I'm hoping next season we see a player who we and other teams take notice of. A player who gets you excited each time he's on the ball. Currently not Firmino, imo.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #386 on: February 25, 2016, 03:01:54 pm »
I'm surprised people think he is inconsistent. Perhaps because he got off to a slow start in his first season here? The man has 6 goals and 7 assists in the league this season, and it's only February. Suarez, by comparison, had 11 goals and 3 assists in his first full season. At the rate Firmino is producing, he'll have a more productive first season than Suarez did. I understand supporters wanting to Firmino to push on next season, and have just as productive a second and third season as Suarez did (23 goals, 5 assists; 31 goals, 12 assists), but peak-Suarez isn't a fair comparison right now. He needed a full season to settle, and another full season before he reached outrageous stats. Firmino seems quite consistent for his first season at the club if first-season-Suarez is the comparison.   

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: February 25, 2016, 04:38:29 pm »
I'm surprised people think he is inconsistent.

I am amazed that anyone can think anything else. Forget the stats, they are often misleading. Just watch the game and if you have any doubts record it and watch it again. Every match going red I know thinks he is a talented lad who has been very inconsistent. Every fan of other teams l know and every pundit I read about thinks the same.
How many games has he played when he's been good for the majority of the game? A handful at best.
Let's hope tonight is the start of a good consistent run for him. Two big games coming up in which we'll need him to perform if we're going to get the results we need, especially Sunday.
Would love him to be motm at Wembley and outshine that little twat Sterling.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #388 on: February 25, 2016, 04:51:17 pm »
His inconsistency has been a bit inconsistent. Good player though, will be nice to see what he can do with Coutinho and Sturridge beside him this spring.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #389 on: February 25, 2016, 05:09:02 pm »
His inconsistency has been a bit inconsistent. Good player though, will be nice to see what he can do with Coutinho and Sturridge beside him this spring.
That criticism of inconsistency is so bizarre. You`d think he was playing in this super accomplished team with no issues whatsoever where everyone`s 8/10 every single game , everyone`s performing like we`re Barcelona but then there`s this guy Firmino who`s not delivering every game. He`s one of our rare good performers in recent months not the other way around. It`s beyond laughable.

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #390 on: February 25, 2016, 05:24:09 pm »
He's not lazy, but just like Sturridge his body language makes him look a bit bored or annoyed. Suarez looked like a mad dog even when we were up by 4 goals.
All attacking players have good and bad games, even when they are in form. Firmino is great like 2/3 of the games, which is still miles ahead of the rest of our attacking players. 99 problems...

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: February 25, 2016, 05:42:37 pm »
He's not lazy, but just like Sturridge his body language makes him look a bit bored or annoyed. Suarez looked like a mad dog even when we were up by 4 goals.
All attacking players have good and bad games, even when they are in form. Firmino is great like 2/3 of the games, which is still miles ahead of the rest of our attacking players. 99 problems...

It helps that Suarez had much more pace. Firmino isn't the quickest player - at least from what I've seen so perhaps it gives an illusion of lethargy from him. Get him up to speed with the pressing game (right positioning etc) and he will look much more 'active'.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: February 25, 2016, 05:56:18 pm »
It helps that Suarez had much more pace. Firmino isn't the quickest player - at least from what I've seen so perhaps it gives an illusion of lethargy from him. Get him up to speed with the pressing game (right positioning etc) and he will look much more 'active'.

He's about the same pace as Suarez to be honest maybe a bit more slower at most.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #393 on: February 26, 2016, 08:48:26 am »
That criticism of inconsistency is so bizarre. You`d think he was playing in this super accomplished team with no issues whatsoever where everyone`s 8/10 every single game , everyone`s performing like we`re Barcelona but then there`s this guy Firmino who`s not delivering every game. He`s one of our rare good performers in recent months not the other way around. It`s beyond laughable.
It's not bizarre, some games he looks 9-10/10 others 5/10, unlike Suarez's off games he'd still run ragged whereas Firmino takes a more cultured approach hence the added criticism. He's not a steady 6-7/10 player.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: February 26, 2016, 09:36:41 am »
Firmino and Coutinho are great players but they need two players up with them with pace imo.

Sturridge and a fast winger/forward like Klopp wants and we will destroy many teams.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: February 26, 2016, 09:40:09 am »
Firmino and Coutinho are great players but they need two players up with them with pace imo.

Sturridge and a fast winger/forward like Klopp wants and we will destroy many teams.
Completely agree with that, the three of them are fantastic and capable of some amazing football but we're crying out for someone else up there with them who is quick, direct and capable of something a bit different.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: February 26, 2016, 09:41:08 am »
Dont think he or Sturridge knows what each other is going to do yet and as such we haven't seen the front 3 click yet. Its basically 2 combinations (Firmino-Coutinho/Coutinho-Sturridge) and a missing third peice.

Sturridge's all round game means he is far more unpredictable in his movements and what he does with the ball. He also isn't as direct as someone like a Torres, or even an Origi. Firmino probably would have more joy in the short term in forging an understanding with them 2 players.

Because both Firmino and Sturridge like to get on the ball, I think its going to take a while for them to understand each other. Hopefully Sturridge stays fit long enough so that understanding can be built.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: February 26, 2016, 09:51:34 am »

Spot on. Hate to say it but a Sterling type who could finish.

A player like Bale (ridiculous but I am saying like Bale), Robben, Reus who can beat a man to open a side up but also join in and score 15-20 goals.

In the shape we play i'd like to see Coutinho a bit deeper to add some quality and passing to the midfield.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: February 26, 2016, 09:55:12 am »
Spot on. Hate to say it but a Sterling type who could finish.

A player like Bale (ridiculous but I am saying like Bale), Robben, Reus who can beat a man to open a side up but also join in and score 15-20 goals.

In the shape we play i'd like to see Coutinho a bit deeper to add some quality and passing to the midfield.

To me its pointing to us going 4-2-3-1 at the start of next season, based on Klopp's comments around a winger, so i very much doubt we will see Coutinho drop back to the midfield area anytime soon. I think that inside left position is cemented for him. Any midfield passing improvement will have to be made by the midfielders in that position and for that reason I think the likes of Can, Milner and Henderson are all fighting for their place in the starting 11 next season.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: February 26, 2016, 10:00:00 am »
To me its pointing to us going 4-2-3-1 at the start of next season, based on Klopp's comments around a winger, so i very much doubt we will see Coutinho drop back to the midfield area anytime soon. I think that inside left position is cemented for him. Any midfield passing improvement will have to be made by the midfielders in that position and for that reason I think the likes of Can, Milner and Henderson are all fighting for their place in the starting 11 next season.
It's about having options. At the moment he does not have any attacking pace out wide in the squad (Ibe excepted). Whether he rates Markovic remains to be seen but it is something that is missing in the attacking options and he will resolve that in the summer.

Whether he plays 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, all the players mentioned will get plenty of game time. The big question for the central midfielders you are listing is will he be bringing in a better 'footballer' to run a game from there. It is all very samey at the moment and none of them can pass a ball with any great quality. All good players but they don't pass the ball forward quickly 15-20 yards with precision.