Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3460547 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE
« Reply #47920 on: January 18, 2021, 01:43:34 pm »

Probably, as you describe, it was likely first observed in clusters around July 2019. Maybe brought in and cultivated for study; perhaps then poor procedures or containment or carelessness caused it to escape. It's all pointless speculation, but it wouldn't be the first time a situation has been made worse due to lax procedures or poor handling.

The last recorded death from smallpox happened in Birmingham in 1978 because of leakage in a lab.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47921 on: January 18, 2021, 01:46:55 pm »
Went to the opticians today in town centre - packed with pensioners who've come out in force.

Has there been any talk of what will happen to the huge numbers of illegal immigrants we have in this country and how they would get the vaccine ? The virus doesn't stay away from illegal immigrants, and surely we will need them to come into the chain too. But doesn't seem to be much talk of this.
Do you mean those in detention centres waiting for legal status to stay or do you mean those who work here from the EU that haven't yet applied for residency?

Either way I can't see there being that many of them over 70/80/90 who so far are the ones being vaccinated.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47922 on: January 18, 2021, 01:50:21 pm »
Went to the opticians today in town centre - packed with pensioners who've come out in force.

Has there been any talk of what will happen to the huge numbers of illegal immigrants we have in this country and how they would get the vaccine ? The virus doesn't stay away from illegal immigrants, and surely we will need them to come into the chain too. But doesn't seem to be much talk of this.

On a brighter note - excellent primary school nearby which has always been horrendously difficult to get into, has spaces available due a large volume of europeans who haven't come back / returned home. Sister got a place for her child today !

Suppose it was this sort of benefit that people could feel in their everyday lives that was fuel to Brexit.

I smell a rat
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #47923 on: January 18, 2021, 01:51:17 pm »
I smell a rat

A theme is starting to develop?

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47924 on: January 18, 2021, 02:17:43 pm »
I may have misheard a newscaster on the radio yesterday but any tourism based on international travelers this year is pretty much written off by the government. That pretty much means I have minimum income for two years running. Whoopty Fuckin' Doo
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #47925 on: January 18, 2021, 02:27:02 pm »
I may have misheard a newscaster on the radio yesterday but any tourism based on international travelers this year is pretty much written off by the government. That pretty much means I have minimum income for two years running. Whoopty Fuckin' Doo
That’s really sad to hear.  So sorry.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47926 on: January 18, 2021, 02:36:15 pm »
That’s really sad to hear.  So sorry.

It could be worse far worse as long as we have our health but was a tad annoyed to say the least to hear the government may be writing off international travel. You would think once vaccinations are occurring, people could get approval to travel. Its going to be a logistic nightmare but we have to start somewhere otherwise thousands of businesses relying on international tourists can shut their doors for good.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #47927 on: January 18, 2021, 02:36:21 pm »
What are these ‘huge numbers of illegal immigrants’?

Illegal ones, too. Mentioned twice, in case you missed it the first time.
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47928 on: January 18, 2021, 02:38:33 pm »
Do you mean those in detention centres waiting for legal status to stay or do you mean those who work here from the EU that haven't yet applied for residency?

Either way I can't see there being that many of them over 70/80/90 who so far are the ones being vaccinated.
Perhaps he meant the reported 1.3m that left the UK recently and won’t easily be able to return, despite putting down roots, contributing to the economy and in general being upstanding members of society.  It’s a crying shame that this country has seemingly made them feel that unwelcome.

Online 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #47929 on: January 18, 2021, 02:40:29 pm »
Illegal ones, too. Mentioned twice, in case you missed it the first time.

And “huge numbers” too.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #47930 on: January 18, 2021, 02:40:47 pm »
Ideally they wouldn't do relatives but it's way better than dumping them. Huge fuss that deflects from important news.

Might help sway a few on the fence if the staff are happy to vaccinate family members.  I know we shine the spotlight on the rabid anti-vaxxers , but I'm sure there are those that are perhaps wavering who would get a small bit of reassurance if they know clinicians are confident enough to offer the jabs to mother-in-law :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47931 on: January 18, 2021, 02:41:58 pm »
Might help sway a few on the fence if the staff are happy to vaccinate family members.  I know we shine the spotlight on the rabid anti-vaxxers , but I'm sure there are those that are perhaps wavering who would get a small bit of reassurance if they know clinicians are confident enough to offer the jabs to mother-in-law :)

A clinician overly keen to give it to their mother in law might put some people off.....  ;D

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47932 on: January 18, 2021, 02:42:03 pm »

Can you do anything with internal tourists? I saw they are predicting a staycation boom for the summer. I wouldn't be surprised, international travel seems difficult and expensive with maybe needing to quarantine either side and pay privatwly for covid tests.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47933 on: January 18, 2021, 02:43:01 pm »
And “huge numbers” too.

If they are illegal, they probably are undocumented , and uncounted, so really hard to say what the number is (though like most in here I imagine it's tiny).
Moving away from the less pleasant aspect, it's a fair question.  Especially as I expect the vast majority to be in the lower income brackets and a fair number bame. Saving grace is the age profile I guess.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47934 on: January 18, 2021, 02:50:52 pm »
If they are illegal, they probably are undocumented , and uncounted, so really hard to say what the number is (though like most in here I imagine it's tiny).
Moving away from the less pleasant aspect, it's a fair question.  Especially as I expect the vast majority to be in the lower income brackets and a fair number bame. Saving grace is the age profile I guess.

In theory, the NHS shouldn't ask for their passport. However, its unlikely that anyone here illegally will be registered with a GP, so they most likely won't get an invite for the vaccine. Or, if they don't have a passport, they won't be able to show that they meet a certain birthdate or whatever the criteria is. Maybe once the covid vaccine is as easily obtainable as the flu jab, they can just walk into a pharmacy and ask for it, but in reality anyone undocumented is usually staying as far away as possible from situations where they might need to show any sort of ID.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47935 on: January 18, 2021, 03:09:47 pm »
Saw on the news that vaccines minister Zahawi said once the top four priority groups have been vaccinated, restrictions can be eased from about March. What about the rest of us? I don't really fancy catching covid either, even though I'm unlikely to die from it.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #47936 on: January 18, 2021, 03:17:06 pm »
Saw on the news that vaccines minister Zahawi said once the top four priority groups have been vaccinated, restrictions can be eased from about March. What about the rest of us? I don't really fancy catching covid either, even though I'm unlikely to die from it.

It'll be back to the tier system for a while.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47937 on: January 18, 2021, 03:17:32 pm »

Pretty much how I feel.

With the weather changing as well, we're all going to be expected to be out and about mixing together as normal, when really, nothing has actually changed for the majority of people re potentially getting the virus, getting long COVID or having any complications.

Once these current restrictions change even slightly, I'll be expected back in the office, commuting 2 hours a day on the tube, when in reality nothing has actually changed for me, not until I get vaccinated. Yes, I may not give it to someone 80+ who could potentially die, but my risk of getting it is just the same as now if cases remain elevated throughout the next few months. Having been a smoker for 10+ years I don't particularly fancy getting it, despite my age.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47938 on: January 18, 2021, 03:22:15 pm »
Pretty much how I feel.

With the weather changing as well, we're all going to be expected to be out and about mixing together as normal, when really, nothing has actually changed for the majority of people re potentially getting the virus, getting long COVID or having any complications.

Once these current restrictions change even slightly, I'll be expected back in the office, commuting 2 hours a day on the tube, when in reality nothing has actually changed for me, not until I get vaccinated. Yes, I may not give it to someone 80+ who could potentially die, but my risk of getting it is just the same as now if cases remain elevated throughout the next few months.

The key is keeping workplaces Covid secure while the vaccines are rolled out, but even at the moment many aren't. Something for the unions to be strong on.

Beyond work nobody is compelled to go out and mix. But you don't have the choice if the boss demands you back to.the open plan office.

We need more things opened up and businesses etc, but younger adults can't just be sitting ducks before they get the vaccine.

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #47939 on: January 18, 2021, 03:28:33 pm »
Remind me, is it now 12 weeks max between first dose and second?
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline AmSeeker

• ABbitOfAnAttention
  • Main Stander
« Reply #47940 on: January 18, 2021, 03:41:25 pm »
And “huge numbers” too.

I'm currently in Birmingham. Huge volumes of illegal immigrants around here, some my own friends, who have been living 'underground in the system' for years. Some elderly.

It's worth talking about whether we give an amnesty to all illegal immigrants in this country and give them some form of right to be here - as a one off, so they take the vaccine. Official estimates there could be up to 500,000 to a 1,000,000 illegal immigrants in the country. We simply can't ignore them.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 03:44:45 pm by AmSeeker »

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47941 on: January 18, 2021, 03:48:30 pm »

This is how I am about it. Luckily we’re working from home for good now so I can just keep locking down even when restrictions have eased. I’m very fortunate in that sense though.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47942 on: January 18, 2021, 03:51:06 pm »
I'm currently in Birmingham. Huge volumes of illegal immigrants around here, some my own friends, who have been living 'underground in the system' for years. Some elderly.

It's worth talking about whether we give an amnesty to all illegal immigrants in this country and give them some form of right to be here - as a one off, so they take the vaccine. Official estimates there could be up to 500,000 to a 1,000,000 illegal immigrants in the country. We simply can't ignore them.

The Tory party is in power so there will be no amnesty for illegal immigrants. Their policy seems to be expel as many people as possible. Since there is zero chance of that changing i doubt talking about an amnesty is worth anything more than any other hypothetical conversation.

It would be daft not to offer the vaccine to all residents in the UK (illegal or not) however thats not a guarantee it will happen.

Offline Oh Campione

• Anny Roader
« Reply #47943 on: January 18, 2021, 03:51:28 pm »

If you have joined this form just to repeatedly talk about illegal immigration I'm not sure this is the place for you

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47944 on: January 18, 2021, 03:53:36 pm »
Can you do anything with internal tourists? I saw they are predicting a staycation boom for the summer. I wouldn't be surprised, international travel seems difficult and expensive with maybe needing to quarantine either side and pay privatwly for covid tests.

80% of the business is from the States and the rest from Europe. Even if Ireland allow Europeans to travel it would be something but I cant see that happening too easily as realistically they will have to contain travel for a while to curb the virus. Airlines will not offer routes if capacity is below a certain %...think it has to be mostly full for them to make money. The Irish tourist kept the doors open and hopefully will do the same this year but continuous closures surely will be the final nail in many a door.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 03:55:35 pm by fowlermagic »

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #47945 on: January 18, 2021, 04:00:30 pm »
If you have joined this form just to repeatedly talk about illegal immigration I'm not sure this is the place for you

My first instinct on seeing those posts was the same as yours.

But this post carries an explanation, poses a valid question, and on balance I think we should give the poster the benefit of that earlier doubt.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #47946 on: January 18, 2021, 04:11:39 pm »

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 04:57:07 pm by filopastry »

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47947 on: January 18, 2021, 04:15:19 pm »
This is how I am about it. Luckily we’re working from home for good now so I can just keep locking down even when restrictions have eased. I’m very fortunate in that sense though.

The key for people is work. Beyond that it's up to individuals how they choose to mix, but if you have to work then you're in thrall to your employers.

If you're 40-odd and you've had your life on hold for a year, then you might rather wait it out for another couple of months until you'd have the vaccine, once you get to Easter.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47948 on: January 18, 2021, 04:15:49 pm »
Can we at least move away from discussing it with the same discompassionate and deliberately exclusionary/dehumanising language that the right wing use to stoke up nationalistic differences between people?

No human's existence is illegal. The people being discussed are undocumented migrants.

Given the way the Home Office, by policy, treats even documented migrants I think we can all agree it's fully rational for people to be concerned about coming forwards to engage with the health system over here. The health system itself has sadly become more exclusionary by Tory policy in recent years, although had some successes in fighting to retain anonymity of some migrant health data that Home Office demanded. But as a system is also not good/idle (particularly GP level) accommodating those with no fixed abode (for whatever reason, including rough sleeping and undocumented migration).

Reaching people who are rationally concerned about coming forward to register for a vaccine is going to be important for everyone. Destigmatising their existence, including in how we refer to them, is one of the first steps.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47949 on: January 18, 2021, 04:21:10 pm »

You bring up a very valid point. We cannot ignore the fact that there are undocumented migrants here and that we do need to offer the vaccine to these people too. Its going to be very very hard to get them to take it up though, they would need a cast iron guarantee that they will not be deported, but they will never get it from this Government. The Express and the Mail and their readers will be having heart attacks (fatal hopefully) at the mere thought of "illegals" (undocumented migrants) getting free NHS vaccinations.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47950 on: January 18, 2021, 04:28:33 pm »
The Express and the Mail and their readers will be having heart attacks (fatal hopefully) at the mere thought of "illegals" (undocumented migrants) getting free NHS vaccinations.

Seems like a good reason to do it.

Online F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #47951 on: January 18, 2021, 04:38:25 pm »
I'm still hearing of people flying out...are there literally no checks at the airports??

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #47952 on: January 18, 2021, 04:39:17 pm »
It could be worse far worse as long as we have our health but was a tad annoyed to say the least to hear the government may be writing off international travel. You would think once vaccinations are occurring, people could get approval to travel. Its going to be a logistic nightmare but we have to start somewhere otherwise thousands of businesses relying on international tourists can shut their doors for good.

Not just that, but some of us want a chance to get off this c*nt of an island - if only for a week or so.

Can we at least move away from discussing it with the same discompassionate and deliberately exclusionary/dehumanising language that the right wing use to stoke up nationalistic differences between people?

No human's existence is illegal. The people being discussed are undocumented migrants.

Given the way the Home Office, by policy, treats even documented migrants I think we can all agree it's fully rational for people to be concerned about coming forwards to engage with the health system over here. The health system itself has sadly become more exclusionary by Tory policy in recent years, although had some successes in fighting to retain anonymity of some migrant health data that Home Office demanded. But as a system is also not good/idle (particularly GP level) accommodating those with no fixed abode (for whatever reason, including rough sleeping and undocumented migration).

Reaching people who are rationally concerned about coming forward to register for a vaccine is going to be important for everyone. Destigmatising their existence, including in how we refer to them, is one of the first steps.

All of this.

The Express and the Mail and their readers will be having heart attacks (fatal hopefully) at the mere thought of "illegals" (undocumented migrants) getting free NHS vaccinations.

No bad thing. Those two papers as well as others have taken this country decades. Pondslime.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 04:42:25 pm by Commie Bobbie »
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47953 on: January 18, 2021, 04:44:05 pm »
And “huge numbers” too.

A "swarm"?

Maybe he means refugees?

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47954 on: January 18, 2021, 04:51:44 pm »
A "swarm"?

Maybe he means refugees?

There aren't "huge numbers" of refugees in the UK either. The UK lets in a ln embrassing small number of refugees.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47955 on: January 18, 2021, 04:53:52 pm »
A basic question that I know someone on here will be able to answer in a way I'll understand:
Who does the UK government owe the Covid debt to? Did we borrow the funds from elsewhere or did we print it? If the latter, why do we have to pay it back?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47956 on: January 18, 2021, 04:58:01 pm »
A basic question that I know someone on here will be able to answer in a way I'll understand:
Who does the UK government owe the Covid debt to? Did we borrow the funds from elsewhere or did we print it? If the latter, why do we have to pay it back?

Same as other government debt. They issue bonds which are basically IOUs. These pay very low interest but are very low risk so tend to be bought by pension funds, investment banks etc.

Pension funds have to invest certain amounts into very low risk products - especially for people who are approaching retirement so bonds serve that purpose.

It's a bit more complicated than that and involves other things but that is the main thing (I'm no expert).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:01:15 pm by Just Elmo? »

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47957 on: January 18, 2021, 04:58:30 pm »
There aren't "huge numbers" of refugees in the UK either. The UK lets in a ln embrassing small number of refugees.
Yeah, official ones. I refuse to call them illegal or migrants. Call them what they are: refugees. But that's a bit of a dirty word these days, especially when it comes to people from countries a government is complicit in funding or fueling war in. Maybe he just meant other 'Europeans', though? Oh, wait....

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47958 on: January 18, 2021, 04:59:47 pm »

We do, but there are estimated to be anything up to 1.2 million people who we don't actually know are here. Some of these will have been fleeing from the likes of Iraq, Iran and Syria.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47959 on: January 18, 2021, 05:00:45 pm »
Don't forget the queen and the royals. She lost a few bob there, bless her silk socks. She'll be looking it back...off the working tax payer of course.