Author Topic: Star Wars Universe lastest news  (Read 371720 times)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Re: Star Wars Universe lastest news
« Reply #3760 on: June 1, 2022, 05:55:19 pm »
Sadly predictable. But I wouldn't single out fans of any one thing for that sort of shit these days, it appears to be everywhere.

Indeed. I posted before work so didn't have a lot of time to expand on it, but my first thought was the abuse suffered by black England players recently for missing penalties etc.

Maybe platforms such as Twitter, which broadcast to the world (as opposed to private forums and the like that you can take or leave) shouldn't allow anonymity? I've always held that the opposite was important, but I dunno anymore.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3761 on: June 1, 2022, 06:10:22 pm »
Wonder if Hayden will be speaking in a British accent now? ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3762 on: June 1, 2022, 10:11:56 pm »
Not a great sign that the kid playing Leia is the best actor in this.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3763 on: June 1, 2022, 10:14:28 pm »
Not a great sign that the kid playing Leia is the best actor in this.

Haha! I thought that was a decent episode like. Better than the first two.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #3764 on: June 1, 2022, 11:36:34 pm »
Just not arsed about shitting all over original trilogy canon now are they?

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #3765 on: June 2, 2022, 07:52:35 am »
Think it’s getting better as it goes.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #3766 on: June 2, 2022, 08:17:25 am »
Pretty laughable how easily the Grand Inquisitor gets killed. Someone with his power should have sensed something was about to happen.  Some really bad overacting from the 3rd Sister too. She's not the only one either. Little Leia is the best out of the lot of them. Apart from that, it's o.k.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3767 on: June 2, 2022, 08:38:02 am »
Hard to gauge, this new show is

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #3768 on: June 2, 2022, 08:47:20 am »
Feel like the Third Sister is an interesting character (whose backstory is pretty easy to guess) but very poorly cast
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3769 on: June 2, 2022, 09:10:25 am »
Pretty laughable how easily the Grand Inquisitor gets killed.

It's not entirely clear yet what they're doing here. The Grand Inquisitor (who may well turn out to be a different character but is the same species at least) is canonically in Star Wars Rebels season 1, which I think takes place about 4-5 years after this.

So they could just be throwing Rebels under the canon bus, it could be a different grand inquisitor, or it could be some ploy on the Empire's part to root out disloyal inquisitors (although you'd think Vader himself wouldn't really care about anything other than results).
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3770 on: June 2, 2022, 09:27:47 am »
His species also has 2 stomachs. Just sayin

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3771 on: June 2, 2022, 10:27:21 am »

How have they done that?

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #3772 on: June 2, 2022, 10:47:20 am »
Quite enjoyed ep 3.  I feel they peaked too soon though .
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3773 on: June 2, 2022, 04:19:36 pm »
Feel like the Third Sister is an interesting character (whose backstory is pretty easy to guess) but very poorly cast

Spoiler
I'm trying to get the timeline right on Reva. There's been a lot of suggestion that she is one of the younglings we saw in the first episode, running from Order 66. But none of those younglings could have been older than eight years old.

Given it's only been 10 years since the Jedi Purge, Reva herself couldn't be older than 18 at the very most if that guess is correct. Of course, plenty of actors and actresses play characters older or younger than their actual age, but there's no way Moses Ingram passes for 18.

My best guess is that she is a former padawan who turned on her master when they were cornered by inquisitors. But I guess we'll see how Disney explain it all.
[close]

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #3774 on: June 2, 2022, 06:56:58 pm »
How have they done that?

Seriously? Virtually everything involving Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH makes no sense off the back of this

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3775 on: June 2, 2022, 07:06:36 pm »
Seriously? Virtually everything involving Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH makes no sense off the back of this

Not sure. Kenobi's line "He's more machine than man now, twisted and evil" makes more sense if they'd met at some point post-suit. I know that's in RotJ.

One thing that does seem weirder now is Leia concerned for moping Luke on the Falcon. "You knew him for half a day, when I was 10 he rescued me from kidnappers and we went on an adventure together".

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #3776 on: June 2, 2022, 07:09:45 pm »
Spoiler
I'm trying to get the timeline right on Reva. There's been a lot of suggestion that she is one of the younglings we saw in the first episode, running from Order 66. But none of those younglings could have been older than eight years old.

Given it's only been 10 years since the Jedi Purge, Reva herself couldn't be older than 18 at the very most if that guess is correct. Of course, plenty of actors and actresses play characters older or younger than their actual age, but there's no way Moses Ingram passes for 18.

My best guess is that she is a former padawan who turned on her master when they were cornered by inquisitors. But I guess we'll see how Disney explain it all.
[close]
Spoiler
Dont think you’re looking at it right as far as Star Wars goes mate. Young Anakin was meant to be 9 in Phantom. All of a sudden he’s older (to look at) than Padme when he married her. ;D Another thing, if he was 9 then there’s no way you’d think this Leia was 10. So Reva could easily be 18. It’s Star Wars world. Can do what they want
[close]

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3777 on: June 2, 2022, 07:29:27 pm »
Not sure. Kenobi's line "He's more machine than man now, twisted and evil" makes more sense if they'd met at some point post-suit. I know that's in RotJ.

One thing that does seem weirder now is Leia concerned for moping Luke on the Falcon. "You knew him for half a day, when I was 10 he rescued me from kidnappers and we went on an adventure together".

tbf to Leia, she'd just lost her entire planet, so perhaps that was weighing on her more heavily than Kenobi's death. Luke had just been (effectively) orphaned for the second time in a few days.

It does at least explain the bit where Luke is busting Leia out and says "I'm here with Ben Kenobi," and Leia replies "Ben Kenobi!? Where is he??" Up until that point she had never heard the name "Ben" that we knew of. In the series, she only knows Kenobi as "Ben" - maybe it's only at that moment she realises Ben and Kenobi were the same person?  I've not seep Ep 3 yet, so maybe she'll make the connection before that though.

Spoiler
Dont think you’re looking at it right as far as Star Wars goes mate. Young Anakin was meant to be 9 in Phantom. All of a sudden he’s older (to look at) than Padme when he married her. ;D Another thing, if he was 9 then there’s no way you’d think this Leia was 10. So Reva could easily be 18. It’s Star Wars world. Can do what they want
[close]

Spoiler
tbf, Hayden was 21 in AotC, which was supposedly set ten years after Phantom Menace, so in terms of his age it actually works out. I think the problem was them trying to convince us Padme was only 14 in Phantom. It was just dumb making them both kids at the start, but I guess Lucas wanted to push Anakin's initial innocence.
[close]

Popcorn's Art

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3778 on: June 2, 2022, 09:04:17 pm »

For example?

This is actually tying up some loose ends. Leia calling him 'Ben Kenobi' and being excited that he was on the Death Star, Leia calling her son Ben, Obi-Wan saying he's 'more machine than man', Vader saying 'Obi- Wan once thought as you did'. They will meet again in this series and Obi-Wan will try and turn him back.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2022, 09:16:07 pm by Rob Dylan »

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3779 on: June 2, 2022, 09:44:01 pm »
This is why it will never be as good for adults. Be we are picking it apart based on the ages of actors. Children's brains won't do that.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3780 on: June 2, 2022, 10:57:56 pm »
This is why it will never be as good for adults. Be we are picking it apart based on the ages of actors. Children's brains won't do that.

Definitely.

That said, I think Disney ballsed up on the sequel trilogy by assuming nobody would question their bullshit decisions. The downside is that now people question everything, even when it's not too bad.

Popcorn's Art

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3781 on: June 2, 2022, 11:31:36 pm »

Indeed. It certainly appears that way - so far there is...

Spoiler for the 2nd episode of Kenobi:-

Spoiler
In Star Wars '77 in Leia's hologram message to Obi Wan Kenobi...

"General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack, and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." - www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_Cj3ZS9-A

^ Leia's tone here is formal, senatorial, and in no way speaks of their prior personal relationship; there is no mention of Obi-Wan coming out of hiding and risking his life to save here when she is kidnapped. Or where he literally saves her when she falls from the wire she had slipped from between the two streets. She is addressing Obi-Wan as a stranger, albeit someone her father (Bail) obviously knew.

When Obi-Wan is fighting Vader and sees Luke (2 minutes and 6 seconds into this video - www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TwyAgn057o)... Ben becomes at one with the force... and lets Vader 'strike him down'. There is no glance from Leia to Obi-Wan - and nor is there anything like Obi-Wan acknowledging Leia.

There is also a meme of sorts - a Prequel era one at that...

'The final thing Obi-Wan sees before he dies is Luke and Leia reunited after 19 years, after witnessing their birth.'

^ Obviously a touching and poignant one - although a retcon in itself. Again, there is no acknowledgment from Obi-Wan to Leia - or Leia to Obi-Wan. Only from Obi-Wan to Luke.

After Obi-Wan is cut down by Darth Vader, Leia registers no emotion regarding his death. While comforting Luke inside the Millennium Falcon she does not offer a word of personal loss or connection about Obi-Wan to Luke when she is obviously trying to comfort him (despite seeing her home planet destroyed and many many people who she cared for and loved die just hours before).

It also seems highly unlikely she would forget the first time she ever left her home world of Alderaan, which happened to also be the time where she was taken hostage as a child... and both rescued and saved by Obi-Wan.
[close]

Spoiler for the 3rd episode of Kenobi:-

Spoiler
Vader vs Kenobi: the duel...

Back to the Star Wars '77 - and Vader's dialogue with Kenobi... "I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, but now I am the master." - www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TwyAgn057o

Okay, we are only at the 3rd episode of Kenobi series... and there is likely to be another duel between the two of them. One which Obi Wan will likely win or show Vader up somehow - whilst also trying to turn him Vader back from the Dark Side...

Yet Vader doesn't say in Star Wars '77 "When I left you I was but the learner, apart from that time I easily disarmed you, force choked you, threw you up into into the air, held you there, lit a fire, and then pulled you through it slowly whilst I taunted you - and there wasn't a single thing you could have done to stop me. Quite lucky there was a Rebel sniper to bring it all to a stop, whilst I just stood there... doing nothing... for a good while... and let some robot rescue you. But now I am the master."
[close]

There are probably more - does anyone know of any?

Star Wars is full of retcons, of course - no matter how hard Lucas tries to deny them (or the actual history of Star Wars which Lucas has also tried to selectively re-write and pass off as fact many, many times)... [cough] https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/George-Lucas-Star-Wars-Creator-Unreliable-Narrator-Time-Travelling-Revisionist/id/66986 [cough].

Yet as others have said... this is a flagship live-action series for both Lucasfilm and Disney. With a story greatly anticipated by many fans from across the Galaxy Far Far Away - one that serves as a bridge between the two Prequel and Original Trilogies - through a much loved character (and actor playing him). One with a large budget, and the expertise, knowledge, nous, and technical skills of Lucasfilm at their disposal. As well as having considerable time to work on the story (and re-work the story we are told), and also its execution.

Instead we are getting this... a series that is breaking what has gone before in the most iconic Trilogy - that underpins all of Star Wars - and which is obviously still very much loved and well revered - yet this series so far is not doing a great job of adhering to, or acknowledging that, classic ground-breaking and historic Original Trilogy.

Personally, this series also seems cheap and rushed at times, along with some uninspiring and lazy moments, poor cinematography, some baffling plot points - and all with some surprising low production values (especially given the budget and talent involved on this). Yet it is undoubtedly still fun and enjoyable on occasions too, and with some great moments so far - and hopefully more to come. Plus strong acting from Ewan (accent apart at times), Uncle Ben, Bail, and especially young Leia - who has done a fantastic job so far.

Unfortunately, the Inquisitors have been poor and underwhelming all around - acting (which is a surprise as they are all quality actors), the dialogue, costuming, camera angles, and in the editing - it is only right to say such if you feel that way. But seriously, fuck all the racists who are sending the Inquisitor Reva actress racist hate (and also sent racist shit to Boyega and Tran not long ago) - https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1531804726165401600 - the toxic, 'alt/hard-right', & politicised FDM social media types have a lot to answer for on this.

We are only at the fourth episode of Kenobi (on 8th June). The above issues with the series could still be rectified or explained - though unfortunately... I somehow doubt it. I'd love to be proven wrong on that, though.

« Last Edit: June 3, 2022, 11:26:35 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3782 on: June 2, 2022, 11:57:28 pm »
You'd think a Jedi in hiding would stop wearing Jedi clothes, maybe shave his beard.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3783 on: June 2, 2022, 11:59:36 pm »
It does at least explain the bit where Luke is busting Leia out and says "I'm here with Ben Kenobi," and Leia replies "Ben Kenobi!? Where is he??" Up until that point she had never heard the name "Ben" that we knew of. In the series, she only knows Kenobi as "Ben" - maybe it's only at that moment she realises Ben and Kenobi were the same person?  I've not seep Ep 3 yet, so maybe she'll make the connection before that though.

Are you sure, mate?

spoilers for episode 2...

Spoiler
Reva calls out "Obi-Wan" to Ben when he is right next to Leia in the cargo factory (shortly before they escape on the ship at the end of episode 2).

The fake Jedi also calls Ben "Obi Wan" right in front of Leia - as the fake Jedi tells Ben he'll try to "buy them as much time as he can".
[close]

spoilers for episode 3 - for after you've seen it...

Spoiler
In front of Leia, Tala says to Obi Wan "I can't imagine Obi Wan Kenobi doing anything wrong." Obi Wan replies to her "It is just 'Ben' these days".
[close]

You'd think a Jedi in hiding would stop wearing Jedi clothes, maybe shave his beard.

Yes! Definitely the shaving thing ;D Or as he is wearing non-Jedi clothes on Tatooine... keep on wearing them when he leaves the planet on public transport - instead of changing them to dress exactly like a Jedi... and also having a lightsabre on his belt.

(cool scene, though)
« Last Edit: June 3, 2022, 02:41:48 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #3784 on: June 3, 2022, 03:50:41 am »
Well I enjoyed it! I don't tend to tie myself up in knots with it these days which probably helps.
We are Liverpool!

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3785 on: June 3, 2022, 06:28:58 am »
Well I enjoyed it! I don't tend to tie myself up in knots with it these days which probably helps.
Me too !

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3786 on: June 3, 2022, 06:48:36 am »

Likewise although Vader created and put out a fire, why couldn't he put it out a second time! :D

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3787 on: June 3, 2022, 10:54:03 pm »
Are you sure, mate?

I stand corrected, but I was only surmising. It does at least still explain why in Episode IV she reacts to the name Ben though, even though it's the first time someone says it to her.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3788 on: June 3, 2022, 11:06:19 pm »
Likewise although Vader created and put out a fire, why couldn't he put it out a second time! :D

Or use the force on a droid!

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3789 on: June 3, 2022, 11:41:31 pm »
Indeed. It certainly appears that way - so far there is...

Spoiler for the 2nd episode of Kenobi:-

Spoiler
In Star Wars '77 in Leia's hologram message to Obi Wan Kenobi...

"General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack, and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." - www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_Cj3ZS9-A

^ Leia's tone here is formal, senatorial, and in no way speaks of their prior personal relationship; there is no mention of Obi-Wan coming out of hiding and risking his life to save here when she is kidnapped. Or where he literally saves her when she falls from the wire she had slipped from between the two streets. She is addressing Obi-Wan as a stranger, albeit someone her father (Bail) obviously knew.

When Obi-Wan is fighting Vader and sees Luke (2 minutes and 6 seconds into this video - www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TwyAgn057o)... Ben becomes at one with the force... and lets Vader 'strike him down'. There is no glance from Leia to Obi-Wan - and nor is there anything like Obi-Wan acknowledging Leia.

There is also a meme of sorts - a Prequel era one at that...

'The final thing Obi-Wan sees before he dies is Luke and Leia reunited after 19 years, after witnessing their birth.'

^ Obviously a touching and poignant one - although a retcon in itself. Again, there is no acknowledgment from Obi-Wan to Leia - or Leia to Obi-Wan. Only from Obi-Wan to Luke.

After Obi-Wan is cut down by Darth Vader, Leia registers no emotion regarding his death. While comforting Luke inside the Millennium Falcon she does not offer a word of personal loss or connection about Obi-Wan to Luke when she is obviously trying to comfort him (despite seeing her home planet destroyed and many many people who she cared for and loved die just hours before).

It also seems highly unlikely she would forget the first time she ever left her home world of Alderaan, which happened to also be the time where she was taken hostage as a child... and both rescued and saved by Obi-Wan.
[close]

Spoiler for the 3rd episode of Kenobi:-

Spoiler
Vader vs Kenobi: the duel...

Back to the Star Wars '77 - and Vader's dialogue with Kenobi... "I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, but now I am the master." - www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TwyAgn057o

Okay, we are only at the 3rd episode of Kenobi series... and there is likely to be another duel between the two of them. One which Obi Wan will likely win or show Vader up somehow - whilst also trying to turn him Vader back from the Dark Side...

Yet Vader doesn't say in Star Wars '77 "When I left you I was but the learner, apart from that time I easily disarmed you, force choked you, threw you up into into the air, held you there, lit a fire, and then pulled you through it slowly whilst I taunted you - and there wasn't a single thing you could have done to stop me. Quite lucky there was a Rebel sniper to bring it all to a stop, whilst I just stood there... doing nothing... for a good while... and let some robot rescue you. But now I am the master."
[close]

There are probably more - does anyone know of any?

Star Wars is full of retcons, of course - no matter how hard Lucas tries to deny them (or the actual history of Star Wars which Lucas has also tried to selectively re-write and pass off as fact many, many times)... [cough] https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/George-Lucas-Star-Wars-Creator-Unreliable-Narrator-Time-Travelling-Revisionist/id/66986 [cough].

Yet as others have said... this is a flagship live-action series for both Lucasfilm and Disney. With a story greatly anticipated by many fans from across the Galaxy Far Far Away - one that serves as a bridge between the two Prequel and Original Trilogies - through a much loved character (and actor playing him). One with a large budget, and the expertise, knowledge, nous, and technical skills of Lucasfilm at their disposal. As well as having considerable time to work on the story (and re-work the story we are told), and also its execution.

Instead we are getting this... a series that is breaking what has gone before in the most iconic Trilogy - that underpins all of Star Wars - and which is obviously still very much loved and well revered - yet this series so far is not doing a great job of adhering to, or acknowledging that, classic ground-breaking and historic Original Trilogy.

Personally, this series also seems cheap and rushed at times, along with some uninspiring and lazy moments, poor cinematography, some baffling plot points - and all with some surprising low production values (especially given the budget and talent involved on this). Yet it is undoubtedly still fun and enjoyable on occasions too, and with some great moments so far - and hopefully more to come. Plus strong acting from Ewan (accent apart at times), Uncle Ben, Bail, and especially young Leia - who has done a fantastic job so far.

Unfortunately, the Inquisitors have been poor and underwhelming all around - acting (which is a surprise as they are all quality actors), the dialogue, costuming, camera angles, and in the editing - it is only right to say such if you feel that way. But seriously, fuck all the racists who are sending the Inquisitor Reva actress racist hate (and also sent racist shit to Boyega and Tran not long ago - https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1531804726165401600 - the toxic, 'alt/hard-right', & politicised FDM social media types have a lot to answer for on this).

We are only at the fourth episode of Kenobi (on 8th June). The above issues with the series could still be rectified or explained - though unfortunately... I somehow doubt it. I'd love to be proven wrong on that, though.

The examples you give are not contradictions though. Assuming Leia doesn't see Obi-Wan again after this, that message is like 10 years later, she's an adult, a senator,a completely different person, she doesn't really 'know' him anymore. And it's not like she's actually meeting him, it's just a message, a formal message from her father about the rebellion. It's not really appropriate (and she doesn't really have time) to start reminiscing about when they met 10 years previously. Also, if she'd used the name 'Ben' it would've risked blowing his cover (not that it was great cover in the first place!). Also this series does explain why she was excited that he was on the Death Star, and why she remembered him as 'Ben'.

Obi-Wan's look just before he 'dies' in ANH was obviously, at the time, meant to be towards Luke - Obi-Wan was his mentor, Luke was the main character, the one who was going to take up the mantle of the Jedi; at this point Leia wasn't his sister and didn't have her whole backstory. But it's not like Obi-Wan shouted over "Hey Luke, who's the girl, never seen her before?' - he just looked over to where they both were. There's no contradiction there. And on Leia not mourning his death, she hadn't seen him for 10 years (and before that had only met him once), and she had just seen everyone on her home planet wiped out, so that would've been a bigger concern for her. Whereas he was Luke's mentor who was showing him this new world but now he was gone and Luke felt lost again. Again, no contradiction there.

And on the "Now I am the master" line, it's pretty clear they're going to meet again in this series, and that Obi-Wan will be in much better shape this time. So the line can relate to that encounter, or just more generally, to when he first 'left' him in ROTS, and their encounters in this series were just further steps in the process of becoming 'the master', which he only acknowledges in ANH. Also if when they do meet, Obi-Wan tries to turn him back, it will explain Vader's line to Luke in ROTJ - "Obi-Wan once thought as you do".
« Last Edit: June 3, 2022, 11:49:47 pm by Rob Dylan »

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3790 on: June 3, 2022, 11:44:36 pm »
I'm expecting a rocky balboa esc montage for obi wan now to be honest or I'm disappointed :D

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3791 on: June 3, 2022, 11:45:56 pm »

The way the camera lingered on him staring impassively through the flames suggests that he's decided to let him go this time - he now knows Obi-Wan has allies which can be used to draw him out, and he can also catch the people helping Jedi to escape (and possibly more Jedi). Also Obi-Wan will now be suffering physically and mentally, paranoid about when Vader will find him again. He wants to prolong his suffering.

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #3792 on: June 4, 2022, 02:03:54 am »
Can anyone explain the logistics of the secret tunnel  in eps 3 . How did the three characters miss each other in it ?
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #3793 on: June 4, 2022, 07:11:49 am »
Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
She has to be a youngling, otherwise shoe-horning that scene doesn't serve any purpose at all
[close]
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3794 on: June 4, 2022, 07:40:44 am »
I think she looks too old for that, but that doesn't mean it won't be the case.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3795 on: June 4, 2022, 08:04:58 am »

Spoiler
I have a feeling she is trying to get to Vader to kill him, either revenge for the Jedi purge or to replace him as palatines apprentice or something.
[close]

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3796 on: June 4, 2022, 10:56:10 am »
The examples you give are not contradictions though. Assuming Leia doesn't see Obi-Wan again after this, that message is like 10 years later, she's an adult, a senator,a completely different person, she doesn't really 'know' him anymore. And it's not like she's actually meeting him, it's just a message, a formal message from her father about the rebellion. It's not really appropriate (and she doesn't really have time) to start reminiscing about when they met 10 years previously. Also, if she'd used the name 'Ben' it would've risked blowing his cover (not that it was great cover in the first place!). Also this series does explain why she was excited that he was on the Death Star, and why she remembered him as 'Ben'.

Obi-Wan's look just before he 'dies' in ANH was obviously, at the time, meant to be towards Luke - Obi-Wan was his mentor, Luke was the main character, the one who was going to take up the mantle of the Jedi; at this point Leia wasn't his sister and didn't have her whole backstory. But it's not like Obi-Wan shouted over "Hey Luke, who's the girl, never seen her before?' - he just looked over to where they both were. There's no contradiction there. And on Leia not mourning his death, she hadn't seen him for 10 years (and before that had only met him once), and she had just seen everyone on her home planet wiped out, so that would've been a bigger concern for her. Whereas he was Luke's mentor who was showing him this new world but now he was gone and Luke felt lost again. Again, no contradiction there.

And on the "Now I am the master" line, it's pretty clear they're going to meet again in this series, and that Obi-Wan will be in much better shape this time. So the line can relate to that encounter, or just more generally, to when he first 'left' him in ROTS, and their encounters in this series were just further steps in the process of becoming 'the master', which he only acknowledges in ANH. Also if when they do meet, Obi-Wan tries to turn him back, it will explain Vader's line to Luke in ROTJ - "Obi-Wan once thought as you do".

Did I say they were 'contradictions'? I don't think I did. Though they do jar/break with the events in the Original Trilogy (or canon, as Red Viper put it). I'll wait until the end of the series and we a full complete picture before labelling them.

Re your 1st point; she is indeed the same person. Her ship is under attack, is being boarded, and she is giving a 'formal message' about the time Kenobi once served her father in the Clone Wars - and not to the man who saved her life just 10 years ago on a highly dangerous memorable encounter on her first ever time off-world? As you say, she doesn't have the time...  yet no 'reminiscing' as you put it, is required (even if you believe 'she no longer knows him' is relevant, the events happened and they do 'know' each other). The original plan, before the Imperials attacker her ship, was indeed for her to meet Kenobi and bring him to Alderann. Re Leia being 'excited' on the Death Star prison cell when Luke mentions his name... she gets 'excited' in that Ben Kenobi is with Luke - Kenobi... the person in question of her original mission, and that she can still carry out... albeit taking him to other Rebels now that Alderaan is gone.

Re your 2nd point; Kenobi saving her life 10 years prior, and it being a massive part of her highly dangerous first ever time off her home planet (also the man of which her current mission is about) in Star Wars '77 and Kenobi is standing right there - and nothing... no glance, no acknowledgment - from either of them. To me it seems a mistake to have them go on this memorable and highly dangerous adventure together (however enjoyable it is being) given what is already established in the OT. A stretch at the very least.

Though thank you for stating that at the time of Star Wars '77 Luke and Leia were not siblings - yet I was already aware of that. ;)

Your 3rd point; I think I pretty much already stated that in my original post. :)

Fair play that you (and others) don't consider my original post as 'contradictions'.

Yet others, like Red Viper (I think) and myself may consider these issues (and maybe other issues too?) as just that - or as jarring/breaking with previous events in the OT etc, and certainly don't adhere to them.

For what it's worth... I prefer a multi-story 'head canon' approach to Star Wars; in that Rogue One is just as legit as Dash Rendar's EU adventures when it comes to the Death Star plans - pick and choose, or even believe in both stories being 'true' etc. My post reply to Red Viper was simply giving a couple of examples of jarring events that certainly raise issues with this series (so far) adhering to the events in the OT. As I said previously... these issues with the series could still be rectified or explained in future episodes - when we have a more complete picture of the story.

Roll on episode 4.

« Last Edit: June 4, 2022, 04:40:16 pm by oojason »

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3797 on: June 4, 2022, 12:02:39 pm »
The way the camera lingered on him staring impassively through the flames suggests that he's decided to let him go this time - he now knows Obi-Wan has allies which can be used to draw him out, and he can also catch the people helping Jedi to escape (and possibly more Jedi). Also Obi-Wan will now be suffering physically and mentally, paranoid about when Vader will find him again. He wants to prolong his suffering.

Episode 3 spoilers...

Spoiler
That's a good take - yet Vader only knows of one ally to Kenobi here... the sniper who just took out his stormtrooper and ignited the fire (plus the robot who rescues Kenobi).

It also does jar with what is established just before... where Vader emphatically states to Reva "Kenobi is all that matters, now. Is that understood?" in the same episode. Vader also "has been looking for Kenobi for a very long time", probably all 10 years since their last meeting in ROTS, and now he has finally found and captured him. He could likely extract any information Kenobi may know on any others who have helped him so far after some of that torture, and prolonged suffering Vader is going to do to Kenobi (Vader does also say "Now you will suffer", then drags him through the fire, then says to Kenobi: "Your pain has just begun").

Instead Vader just stands there, doing nothing, and makes no effort to extinguish the fire (a skill he's just done moments before), or force pull Kenobi back through it, or force lift him over it (again, a skill he's just done moments before), or doing something to disable that slow moving loader robot that slowly walks carrying Kenobi, or Vader could walk around the fire. Though perhaps Vader was traumatised... as it was at that point he realised he was surrounded his nemesis and natural enemy - sand - it is course, rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere! ;)

Still, it is a very cool scene (Vader standing there doing nothing, apart).

Can anyone explain the logistics of the secret tunnel  in eps 3 . How did the three characters miss each other in it ?

Hard to say. I think Reva may have beaten Leia to the end of the tunnels (despite being behind considerably away back time-wise) by using a rare, old, and oft-forgotten force ability...

FORCE SPEED!!! ;)

Or Reva likely exited the tunnels and went straight to the space port (flew there or used a transport to beat them in the race there) - the likely end destination to where Leia and the Tala were going. Found the pilot - and then started looking for a tunnel exit to where Tala and Leia would be coming through?
[close]
« Last Edit: June 6, 2022, 03:24:01 pm by oojason »

Online John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3798 on: June 4, 2022, 12:08:16 pm »
Spoiler
I'd assumed after discovering the tunnels instead of going down them herself Reeva just figured they'd go to the space port so went there via the streets instead of tunnels which could potentially have hidden foes, traps, and dead ends.
[close]
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3799 on: June 4, 2022, 03:57:39 pm »
I think it's important to remember that Vader keeps his own counsel. What's important to him is that his minions like Reva do his bidding. He will tell them what they need to know and no more. He might want them focussed on Kenobi, but Vader himself could well be eyeing up a far bigger picture.

Spoiler
She has to be a youngling, otherwise shoe-horning that scene doesn't serve any purpose at all
[close]

Spoiler
I don't disagree. But as voodoo ray says, if that's the case they have cast the role far too old. It's even worse than Maggie Grace playing a 17 year old in the original Taken when she was 24. ;D
[close]

I also see there are rumours that Kenobi is getting a Season 2; I hear there have been reshoots to the final episode to change the ending, but no idea how accurate that is.

Popcorn's Art