Author Topic: The Punk Rock appreciation thread.......,  (Read 28475 times)

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
Re: The Punk Rock appreciation thread.......,
« Reply #280 on: June 2, 2022, 09:35:30 am »
Only watched the first episode so far. Was alright and will watch the rest. Some artistic license to get over some of the inaccuracies I felt, but that’s ok ‘cause it’s not a document.  Thought the overall feel/look of the period was better than a lot of other film/tv I’ve seen trying to capture that time. Wasn’t black and white exactly but wasn’t clean technicolour either. Slightly drab and dirty as I remember the mid 70s to be!  Liked the use of actual footage of the time  … Bowie, unemployed, streets full of rubbish etc, and that really helps set the scene.  Acting is not at all bad either.  Will definitely watch the rest
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #281 on: June 2, 2022, 10:55:47 pm »
Only watched the first episode so far. Was alright and will watch the rest. Some artistic license to get over some of the inaccuracies I felt, but that’s ok ‘cause it’s not a document.  Thought the overall feel/look of the period was better than a lot of other film/tv I’ve seen trying to capture that time. Wasn’t black and white exactly but wasn’t clean technicolour either. Slightly drab and dirty as I remember the mid 70s to be!  Liked the use of actual footage of the time  … Bowie, unemployed, streets full of rubbish etc, and that really helps set the scene.  Acting is not at all bad either.  Will definitely watch the rest

It really picked up for me in the last 2 episodes. The acting is superb I thought, right down to wanting to punch Malcoms character every time he speaks
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #282 on: June 3, 2022, 03:16:06 pm »
I watched the first three episodes last night.It was better than i expected, a bit artsy fartsy and cliched in places.Chrissie Hynde was a bit of a goer!
« Last Edit: June 3, 2022, 03:17:41 pm by Boston always unofficial »

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: June 6, 2022, 09:31:41 am »
I thought it got worse the longer I watched it. At the start it was at least semi believable and quite interesting. It gradually became more cartoony and portrayed McLaren, Vicious, Rotten and Spungen like the caricatures I recall, without adding anything of any substance to the stories I remember.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #284 on: June 6, 2022, 09:46:33 am »

I really liked the actors, i thought they did a great job. It was a bit of lightweight entertainment despite some of the subject matter and soapy. It might actually be more interesting/inspirational for younger people who weren`t around or too young to remember the events. I could imagine it being used as a reference in schools.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: June 8, 2022, 05:54:57 pm »
I finished up the last three episodes.It kinda lost its way got a bit Spinal Tap/Bad News tour without the humor.And a bunch of no fun dislikable main characters. The Glen Matlock dude and Chrissie Hynde get a pass but the rest blah.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #286 on: June 11, 2022, 12:16:44 pm »
Is anyone gonna watch The Sex Pistols drama Series? I might give it a go if i can find It easily on the net.

Man alive that was bad...I mean really, really arsewiping bad

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #287 on: June 11, 2022, 12:18:34 pm »
I watched two episodes but basically I've gone back to reading England's Dreaming

I finished up the last three episodes.It kinda lost its way got a bit Spinal Tap/Bad News tour without the humor.And a bunch of no fun dislikable main characters. The Glen Matlock dude and Chrissie Hynde get a pass but the rest blah.

I like them as artists but I don't think your Sids and Rottens and McLarens were nice people. Odd take to me. Maybe I'm missing something, but making them likable, I dunno.... The sex pistols at the end were a mess. Violence, smack, the lot. If anything, in reality, Matlock and Hynde are probably indeed the most likable? Just saying I don't think it is on a TV series to make these characters likeable (which is why I dislike the approach anyway, the 1996 Boyle would have done it better)

Ask Nick Kent.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 12:22:07 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgĺrden Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: June 12, 2022, 10:49:29 am »
Went to see Descendants down in London last night. Absolutely boss show. Full over energy, didn't stop for a minute at all.

They played 31 songs in total, and the whole gig was just over an hour to give an idea of how quick they were going

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: June 12, 2022, 11:45:29 am »
the lass is seeing PiL tonight dahn sarf

Brix Smith is supporting

why the FUCK am I up here

Watched that third Pistol episode, thing. It's a bit.. naff. I almost like it, I can't not watch it.

Lydon actor is trying. Probably the best one in it. I think a Johnny Rotten impression is very easy to get wrong. They ruined Chrissie Hynde IMO, made her a Zooey Deschanel punk girl next door. What?? Nick Kent also... that ain't Nick Kent. I like Nick Kent. He so, so so got the Stooges and even the Modern Lovers who I just don't see talked about (I wear my Modern Lovers shirt at work, someone has to). He was on smack a lot. He was a rake thin fop, not the trendy Bloke this sort of has him as. It's nice to see a Nick Kent role though. Interesting dude, possibly my fav out of the whole scene.

Boyle is... I dunno. Like there's repeated flashbacks and other clunky stuff, dialogue repeated in case you missed it playing on your Samsung smartphone. The dialogue needs a craft knife taken to it.

I'm having fun spotting people I recognise from England's Dreaming. It's, broadly, truthful, but stylised and so heavily on the mythology. MY ROMANTIC NIGHT UP ON SPEED LEARNING BASS sort of stuff. Yeah, I've met a punk bassist in the Swan who really taught himself that way. Where's the grime in this show though? The costomes and feel is pretty good, but it's missing that.... Reality, which let's be honest, is sometimes cringeworthy and on the nose. Sid was bitten by Johnny's hamster. I just want more grit

Halfway through and it's mainly setup and the rest of the story is pretty horrible so I expect it to be a bumpy ride. By miles, the best bits are the band - the actors - with instruments.

The hindsight problem. Some of this stuff was momentous. But it's written with hindsight, clearly

In the sense of like... I feel like, personally, I would have watched ANY Pistols series, for reasons of history, self-knowledge, yknow. Not to be ignorant my whole life. The Pistols were the boyband for a nascent movement, McLaren is sort of worthy of a lot more speculation than this seems to suggest so far, if you want to play the historian.

Better than Yesterday, which is trash unreality, I'm not having that in my house. Better than the half of that Mr Robot Mercury film I saw half of - I don't want the untruth.

It's all very clean isn't it?

The lass, younger than me, been in bands, loves it. Loves Lydon. So if it's touching a new generation, good.

Two years after Never Mind the Bollocks, Thatcher gets in. Punk, as in the spirit of DIY, anti-establishment, it's your actions... that never went away

I wish it was made by 1996 Danny Boyle so bad.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 12:05:30 pm by ToneLa »

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #290 on: June 12, 2022, 12:11:03 pm »
Not watched Pistols series yet...don't really fancy it but might if mood changes.

Thing about the Pistols was they where hugely important in the British music scene and culturally...but they where the detonator not the bomb...that exploded across UK in following years.

The first four visceral singles where as powerful as anything released in UK music before or since....maybe unique....they still sound amazing. Thing is viewed retrospectively through these album dominated times everyone goes on about NMTHB but truth is its a compilation lp of singles with some extra  ( good) tracks...the real excitement in 77  was the gigs and the single's....by time it came out the lp was in 13 old kids Christmas wish list ...but most of us caught up in the 76/77 explosion had moved on.

As brilliant as they where I never took them seriously, there was a comedy streak in them..I felt they where taking the piss out of everyone else...and I liked that.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: June 12, 2022, 12:13:38 pm »
Oh yeahhhh, subscribing to CREEM magazine, I like rock, the Yank take on Are Pistols can be pretty interesting (the Clash stuff also looks great)

click for bloody massive

« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 12:17:28 pm by ToneLa »

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #292 on: June 13, 2022, 10:47:34 am »

John Lydon`s Guardian interview for the PiL tour:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jun/13/john-lydon-sex-pistols-johnny-rotten-danny-boyle-the-queen

Half touching, half infuriating. On brand i guess.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #293 on: June 15, 2022, 08:25:18 pm »
Man alive that was bad...I mean really, really arsewiping bad

I can't believe how bad it was. Jesus fuck, that was the least punk TV series I've seen, and it was about the fucking Sex Pistols!

It was like watching a public school's 6th form musical based on the Sex Pistols. Shite.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #294 on: June 17, 2022, 04:43:35 am »
I tried not to think of it as a “Pistols” series, but a series about Steve Jones.... It didn’t help.
It truly was a DISNEY show.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #295 on: December 29, 2022, 09:50:42 pm »
RIP Vivienne Westwood- God save the queen

Dame Vivienne Westwood, fashion designer, dies aged 81
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2022/dec/29/dame-vivienne-westwood-fashion-designer-dies-aged-81?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #296 on: December 30, 2022, 11:33:12 am »
RIP Vivienne Westwood- God save the queen

Dame Vivienne Westwood, fashion designer, dies aged 81
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2022/dec/29/dame-vivienne-westwood-fashion-designer-dies-aged-81?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

watched a documentary about her earlier this year and she was a strong woman and took no shit - tough but likeable

RIP
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: June 24, 2023, 04:10:25 pm »
Might as well give this thread a DM up the arse,https://louderthanwar.com/bullshit-detector-vols-1-3-crass-records-compilation-albums-reviewed/. I had the first 2 of these on vinyl way back when,i dunno how these will stand up to the over produced bollox of today but i remember there were some good bands on em and an awful lot of utter dross,they were cheap and a good in to the whole anarcho stuff that was going on.I don't think i'd buy em though.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #298 on: June 24, 2023, 04:49:49 pm »
Billy Idol (Generation sex) was just on Iplayer live from Glastonbury
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: June 24, 2023, 10:57:38 pm »
Might as well give this thread a DM up the arse,https://louderthanwar.com/bullshit-detector-vols-1-3-crass-records-compilation-albums-reviewed/. I had the first 2 of these on vinyl way back when,i dunno how these will stand up to the over produced bollox of today but i remember there were some good bands on em and an awful lot of utter dross,they were cheap and a good in to the whole anarcho stuff that was going on.I don't think i'd buy em though.

Fucking hell BAU!! I was only thinking about Bullshit Detector yesterday when a mate was discussing vinyl records. I thought to myself, I must dig out Bullshit detector.

I only bought Volume II. But I loved it, some really thought provoking tracks on there.  There’s 38 of them.

‘All the wars’ by Anthrax is the standout track for me on Vol II.

Cheers for posting that link mate. Brilliant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: July 2, 2023, 04:54:34 pm »
i had a couple of Anthrax 7" e.p's.Got it all wrong is an awesome song. Found it on the you tube.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/s9wG-U-bUk4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/s9wG-U-bUk4</a>

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: July 8, 2023, 04:27:21 pm »
I dunno if these are still going,saw em live once.Got a tshirt that gets a good second look from the Cambridge libs!!-
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xCfdmEbbjI4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xCfdmEbbjI4</a>

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: September 8, 2023, 06:05:37 pm »
Just having a look at the Boston area gig guide and coming up on Monday,Steve Ignorant doing Crass songs 77-84,ticket price 30 fucking dollars! Fucking 30 dollars.Fuck Off.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #303 on: September 12, 2023, 08:17:17 am »
I've only just seen this thread. Here in Brisbane I'm lucky to get to shoot the occasional band, oddly enough and due to the absence of an available reviewer, I've thrown my hat in and had a go at both (shooting and reviewing). Here's a Stiff Little Fingers gig I covered a while back, go easy on me!  http://www.maximumvolume.com.au/stiff-little-fingers-brisbane-australia-22nd-february-2020/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 08:27:51 am by BSBW »
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.