Author Topic: The England Cricket Thread - 2024  (Read 640672 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Nick Cook? Think he was a spinner.

Quite a few centuries to his name though.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Crushed!

About Adam Lyth. Tho' somehow Yorks have a faint sniff of victory in their nostrils. Tomorrow crunch day.

For me too. First cricket match since July. Not even a bloody net. I'm aching already.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
I reckon most if not all of the current round of CC games will end up being weather-affected draws
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
How did Adam Lyth do today Yorky?

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
Somebody at the BBC has a sense of humour  ;D
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
How did Adam Lyth do today Yorky?

He graciously made way to allow his captain some much-needed batting practice.

Is that two ducks in a row now?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
Somebody at the BBC has a sense of humour  ;D

;D

In seriousness though - feels weird places are making the possibility bowlers knew a story. Of course they knew - CA just wanted to have to punish as few players as possible...

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
;D

In seriousness though - feels weird places are making the possibility bowlers knew a story. Of course they knew - CA just wanted to have to punish as few players as possible...

Some thoughts on this

Prior to the last England tour to Sri Lanka , Jimmy Anderson didn’t have a great record in Sri Lanka.

On the last tour Sri Lanka we’re probably the weakest team they’ve had for about 25 years.

Jimmy Anderson is the greatest swing bowler ever his record before the last tour was ;

12 wickets in 6 Tests

All swing bowlers struggle in Sri Lanka

Now in 2016 Australia toured Sri Lanka in a 3 match Test series with ODI & 20/20

Mitchell Starc a good bowler for 24 wickets in just 3 Tests
Virtually all wickets that series were taken by spinners . Herath with 28 lead the series

Mitchell Starc with 12 wickets took the most in the ODI series & joint top 4 wickets in the 20/20

So amazing all round

During that series two of my mates went to watch it in Sri Lanka. Now when Australian play overseas they have far less fans following than England

They during the series got chatting a few times to Stuart Law ex Australian & Essex player who was one of Sri Lanka’s coaches

In conversation he & the Sri Lankan team couldn’t understand how Mitchell Starc was swinging the ball so much
They’d never seen it in Sri Lanka so good & with so many wickets.
Something they felt wasn’t right but had no proof of anything

2018 ball tampering happens

So how long possibly had Australian been cheating

I always go back to an interview a day or so after the ball tampering by Andrew Flintoff.
He said at that level the team have meetings about ball management. How they will protect, shine , throw, bowl & by who & when etc throughout the game

In his opinion no way could the bowlers have absolutely no idea what was going on

I believe when the shit hit the fan , Australia went into damage limitations & happy to throw the 3 under the bus as they had no choice but couldn’t have any more players suspended & the brand & reputation damage that most of the team were bang at it

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Looking like Archer may miss the summer ,…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
2021-22 Ashes schedule released.

There's a slight rejigging to the usual order (or the order since the mid-late 90s anyway).  Perth has been moved from the 3rd test to the 5th test, presumably because they're starting a couple of weeks later and there's no time to fit it in before the Boxing Day test.

It probably won't make any difference. England's best chances are usually at Melbourne and Sydney, so it could mean they might be going into the final test still alive in the series...only to get demolished in Perth yet again (although it's not at the WACA, I'm not sure what the new ground and pitch is like).  More than likely they'll be 3-0, 4-0 or 3-1 down by then anyway.

First Test: 8-12 December - Brisbane

Second Test: 16-20 December -  Adelaide (d/n)

Third Test: 26-30 December - MCG, Melbourne

Fourth Test: 5-9 January - SCG, Sydney

Fifth Test: 14-18 January - Optus Stadium, Perth

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Foakes out with a hamstring issue

Hameed and Sam Billings have been added to the squad

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Hameed, a lucky lad?

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Foakes out with a hamstring issue

Hameed and Sam Billings have been added to the squad

Good to see Hameed back after losing his form a bit and moving from Lancashire. Hopefully can kick on now and have a good 10 years around the international team.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Good to see Hameed back after losing his form a bit and moving from Lancashire. Hopefully can kick on now and have a good 10 years around the international team.

"Losing his form a bit" is an understatement! The selectors must have a sort of religious faith in his underlying talent.

Offline JordanTremenderson

• Kopite
Good to see Hameed back after losing his form a bit and moving from Lancashire.

I didn't realise he left.

Seems a very generous call up.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
"Losing his form a bit" is an understatement! The selectors must have a sort of religious faith in his underlying talent.

He started to get better last year and has started this year well, so not as if he is still in his mad downward spiral. I'm guessing they are hoping he can push on being around better players. They need to start building these younger players and he is clearly one that had a lot of promise.

Notts vs Worcs   24   20-May-2021   Nottingham   FC
Notts vs Essex   49   06-May-2021   Nottingham   FC
Notts vs Derbyshire   0 & 94   29-Apr-2021   Derby   FC
Notts vs Worcs   111 & 114*   22-Apr-2021   Worcester   FC
Notts vs Warwickshire   19 & 53   15-Apr-2021   Nottingham   FC
Notts vs Durham   10 & 0   08-Apr-2021   Nottingham   FC

« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 01:59:26 pm by Elzar »
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
He's clearly got the talent, has he got the head for it?

Big summer for the lad.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
18,000 allowed in for the NZ Edgbaston test as a pilot event.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Who will be keeper for the first test, Billings? Apparently Pope and Bracey can keep too.

Are all the IPL players still being rested for the first Test?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I imagine it'll be Bracey now and yep all the IPL players are being rested

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
all the stuff I've seen speculated on various social media things suggests bracey will keep wicket. quite amusing that the ipl mob are having a rest considering they've not played in about a month!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
all the stuff I've seen speculated on various social media things suggests bracey will keep wicket. quite amusing that the ipl mob are having a rest considering they've not played in about a month!

It's not so much a physical rest but a mental one. They were in India then had to go through hotel quarantine for two weeks which has only just finished I believe. They're now.spending time with their families before going back into the international bubbles for the India test series.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
It's not so much a physical rest but a mental one. They were in India then had to go through hotel quarantine for two weeks which has only just finished I believe. They're now.spending time with their families before going back into the international bubbles for the India test series.

I'm not really against it, it just amuses me. as long as they're all fit and ready to go in december it's all good.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
foakes slipped over in the dressing room while walking around in his socks. daft bastard.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I'm excited for tomorrow! Weather over the next few days looks cracking so we should get full days play, England have confirmed Bracey will be making his debut - go well lad.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Just watching SSN here and it is saying your man Root is the England Captain and he picks the team, is that right?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
Just watching SSN here and it is saying your man Root is the England Captain and he picks the team, is that right?

Not the captain alone, but a board of selectors, of which the captain is one member. Or at least I think that's the case. There have been captains in the past who wanted to be separated from the selection process to make it easier to manage the players on the field.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Not the captain alone, but a board of selectors, of which the captain is one member. Or at least I think that's the case. There have been captains in the past who wanted to be separated from the selection process to make it easier to manage the players on the field.

Ahh i see, thought it was a bit mad the Captain making the selection decisions.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

There's no board of selectors now, Chris Silverwood has overall control of picking squads with him and Root picking the team alongside the coaching staff. The captain has always had a lot more power than what a captain in football/rugby would usually have.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Ahh i see, thought it was a bit mad the Captain making the selection decisions.

Cricket captains are a bit different to footy captains Sarge. The nature of the game encourages them to take much more responsibility for major tactical decisions during the match than their counterparts in football.

It's also why England cricket captains get more stick from the press when things go wrong. They're like England football managers in that respect. Mike Atherton was treated almost as badly as Graham Taylor.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
New Zealand normally come here (unfairly) as a bit of a warm up act for the main event for the summer. Quite nice for them to be able to use us as their warm up instead. Their final against India starts mid June so they’re packing these Tests in quite tightly.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
Weird series. You guys trying out new faces for various reasons, we are trying to build towards a one off final. Boult missing for the Lords test is a shame though I don’t think left hand seamers go so well at Lords?

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Weird series. You guys trying out new faces for various reasons, we are trying to build towards a one off final. Boult missing for the Lords test is a shame though I don’t think left hand seamers go so well at Lords?

Yeah, Allan Mullally used to really struggle there everywhere.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
Yeah, Allan Mullally used to really struggle there everywhere.

And yet he was by far the most effective of our left armers. Our left arm roster used to really depress me. Mark Ilott, Simon Brown, Mike Smith, Alan Mullally... I despised Mullally the most, as unlike the others, he actually got reasonable averages, by bowling miles outside off stump.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
And yet he was by far the most effective of our left armers. Our left arm roster used to really depress me. Mark Ilott, Simon Brown, Mike Smith, Alan Mullally... I despised Mullally the most, as unlike the others, he actually got reasonable averages, by bowling miles outside off stump.

Haha I was actually struggling to think of any others. Illot the only one I can really remember, plugging away to no avail against the Aussies in 93 I think.

Seems like we’ve struggled to find Test quality left armers, especially compared to a lot of other countries. Any reason why?

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
Haha I was actually struggling to think of any others. Illot the only one I can really remember, plugging away to no avail against the Aussies in 93 I think.

Seems like we’ve struggled to find Test quality left armers, especially compared to a lot of other countries. Any reason why?

Goodness knows. There was always talk of how this left armer or that was boomeranging it in county cricket, until they were selected for a Test, and the ball never moved from straight as they took 0-100. Mullally seemed to know the drill, and just concentrated on bowling accurately at the 8th off stump until the batsman got bored and flashed to the slips.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Fascinating article (behind the bloody Times paywall) on Kane Williamson's batting technique.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/play-it-late-and-play-it-straight-how-kane-williamson-became-a-great-hrrfgx8d8?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter_101&utm_medium=email&utm_content=101_13686285&CMP=TNLEmail_7172239_13686285_101

Basically talks about his ability to play the ball late. He conceptualises it as hitting the top of the ball, not its 'backside'. Never has his hands too far away from his body. Always cocks his hands and lifts his arms befiore playing a shot (to prevent jabbing at the ball, which many batsmen do when they START with a cocked wrist and a high bat).

« Last Edit: June 2, 2021, 09:57:36 am by Yorkykopite »

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
there appears to be an mcc facemask. because of course there is.

probably about £50.00.