Author Topic: PlayStation VR  (Read 36313 times)

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
Re: PlayStation VR
« Reply #240 on: March 31, 2018, 09:27:49 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions, and advice re managing sickness! I think I’ll try a few slower options before trying to race in WipeOut...
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: April 1, 2018, 12:31:07 pm »
So after a couple of goes on GT Sport and VR Playroom I’m already totally sold. When GT first loaded up and I was sat in the drivers seat of an Audi TT I was blown away. I’ve. It really suffered from any sickness even after a few laps so all good so far.

VR playroom is surprisingly good fun and a great showcase for it. Have downloaded Ultra Wings and Batman.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #242 on: April 1, 2018, 06:16:17 pm »
So after a couple of goes on GT Sport and VR Playroom I’m already totally sold. When GT first loaded up and I was sat in the drivers seat of an Audi TT I was blown away. I’ve. It really suffered from any sickness even after a few laps so all good so far.

VR playroom is surprisingly good fun and a great showcase for it. Have downloaded Ultra Wings and Batman.

Good man... Batman is short but great..
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: April 2, 2018, 12:18:10 am »

Good stuff. Now go and buy Wipeout Omega. Don't even think about doing it, just do.

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: April 2, 2018, 09:25:22 am »
Good stuff. Now go and buy Wipeout Omega. Don't even think about doing it, just do.

Ha! One of the things that tipped me to buy it as soon as I saw the price drop was that I already have WipeOut, and Dirt Rally which also full VR support. I’ve been enjoying short spells on GT so much I’d forgotten about them...

With those two, Ultra Wings and the X-Wing vr mission I suspect my VR legs will be well and truly tested today!...

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: April 3, 2018, 01:23:28 pm »

Did this at the weekend - picked it up for £20 second hand. Excellent stuff. Insane sense of speed, and legitimate "stomach drop" moments when I failed to keep my vehicle on the track...

Alongside Superhot VR & Resident Evil as the premier experiences for me so far. Also, a shout out for Eve: Valkyrie at this point.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: April 3, 2018, 05:25:11 pm »
Did this at the weekend - picked it up for £20 second hand. Excellent stuff. Insane sense of speed, and legitimate "stomach drop" moments when I failed to keep my vehicle on the track...

Alongside Superhot VR & Resident Evil as the premier experiences for me so far. Also, a shout out for Eve: Valkyrie at this point.

I'd imagine Dirt Rally to be too. I've not tried it in VR yet, and I'm playing it on a pad and TV in the time being because I've not got a steering wheel yet, and to get used to the pace notes, but fucking hell, that game is intense as fuck even just playing it that way. I can only imagine it would be cheek clenching stuff in VR.

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: April 5, 2018, 08:16:08 pm »
Tried WipeOut for the first time today and, as others have said, it’s ridiculously good. Everything from the cockpit details to the sense of speed and scale is just brilliant.

That said I’ll be taking it in small doses as you can immediately sense your brain going ‘we don’t normally move this fast!’

Not had any issues with GT Sport, just bought a McLaren and could happily spend hours lapping a track on my own in that. UltraWings also seems very good. The X-Wing mission is definitely one I’ll use on mates to sell the VR concept - the scale of things around you is amazing.

I now need to start using the move controllers as well and then get stuck into Batman.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2018, 03:09:12 am »
Going  to take the plunge with this,  anyone got and bundle deal recommendations?
No time for caution.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: June 1, 2018, 10:26:07 am »
Going  to take the plunge with this,  anyone got and bundle deal recommendations?

If you can find anything with Superhot VR and the move controllers then I'd recommend that. It's by far my favourite VR game so far. Resident Evil is also brilliant as is Wipeout.

I'd avoid Skyrim, I've tried it and can't really get into it with either the pad or move sticks.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2018, 10:43:24 pm »
BBC World Cup games live are on VR, app on the Playstation store for free now

Really good, not sure it'll work outside the UK
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2018, 11:01:25 pm »
BBC World Cup games live are on VR, app on the Playstation store for free now

Really good, not sure it'll work outside the UK

imagine phil jones in vr  :puke2

you'd probably spend most of the game dodging kane's chin or trying to kick fuck out of lingard ;D

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2018, 11:13:52 pm »
imagine phil jones in vr  :puke2

you'd probably spend most of the game dodging kane's chin or trying to kick fuck out of lingard ;D

;D

Good thing is you can look wherever you like, not where the cameras want you to
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: June 20, 2018, 03:57:27 pm »
Tesco Direct have the bundle for £179 and John Lewis will price match. Picking it up on Friday, like waiting for Christmas ;D

Offline D0GFACE

• "..... there'snoplacelikehome ..... there'snoplacelikehome ....."
  • Kopite
« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2018, 11:18:18 am »
Anyone else got firewall zero hour?  It's brilliant! Add me up if you fancy a few games.  PSN dogface2k3
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: September 1, 2018, 08:14:17 pm »
Would love to play it, but I've no aim controller and I've a bit of a backlog with the likes of Shooty Fruity, Super Hot, Ultrawings, and Catch and Release. Plus I'm still playing Skyrim and haven't really touched Wipeout yet. I thought I'd gotten my VR legs, but fucking hell, Ultrawings wrecks me.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: September 14, 2018, 09:59:01 pm »
Is the PSVR worth picking up now or shall I hang on for the PS5 to come out and wait and see if they release a newer version?

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: September 15, 2018, 06:08:41 pm »
I think the PS5 is still a way off so if you’re at all interested in VR I’d recommend it, especially if you can get a good deal up to or around Christmas.

There are a lot of good games for it and although some are really extended demos they’re still fantastic experiences and a lot are fairly inexpensive now.

Titles I’ve loved are Dirt Rally, GT Sport, Wipeout, Batman, Ultra Wings, Worlds, Battlefield X-wing demo to name a few. I tend to use mine once or twice a week as a nice alternative to longer stints on F1 for example. Suspect I’ll get Ace Combat when it arrives next year mainly for the VR missions.

It’s still in its infancy as a technology and there are limitations but my first lap in GT Sport in VR will I suspect remain one of my most memorable gaming moments, it’s such a change in immersion.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: September 15, 2018, 06:10:15 pm »
PS5 will come out 2020 imo

We've still got TLOU2, GoT, Death Stranding etc

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: September 18, 2018, 12:30:57 am »
Is the PSVR worth picking up now or shall I hang on for the PS5 to come out and wait and see if they release a newer version?
Well worth it. And if you haven't experienced anything in VR before and are on the fence about it, the first time you try something like the Shark demo on the VR Worlds, or the Playroom, it'll immediately make you realise you've made a good decision in buying one. As has been said, there is now a fairly decent enough library of games to keep you occupied. Even if a lot of them are short lived, the prices on a lot of them are low enough that you'll get more than your money's worth. Games like Shooty Fruity are shooting gallery games that are basically like going to an arcade or a funfair and paying to get on a ride or attraction. That's literally the best way I can describe it, because it puts you there and you've to physically move and interact.

It's pointless to wait, because we just don't know when, or if, Sony will make a PSVR 2, although early signs are that they will. It's just a case of when they think it'll be ready, because as it is, this version of VR is only the first generation, so it's essentially the Intellivision generation of VR. Other companies are working hard on improving the tech, like opening up the FOV to get it closer to human sight, screen tech to mitigate motion sickness and focal range to simulate how your eyes work, better tracking etc. Just recently a company called Pimax released what is said to be regarded as the first 2nd gen headset, and it has an FOV of around 200 degrees, which is nearly double that of the likes of PSVR, and has a max of 4k per eye, as opposed to PSVR's meagre 1080 single panel split over two eyes. All these improvement you'd expect in PSVR 2 and maybe even better or more, but it comes with a cost. It could be about 2 years or more before we see PS5 and PSVR2, and by then costs and improved technologies for VR in general will have improved.

Another thing, the library for PSVR is continually improving and building, and it's said there are at least 200+ more games in development for it, so no worries about it not being supported. Firewall Zero Hour recently released for it, and it's basically Rainbow 6 with 4 man squads online.

This is a good video backing up what I'm saying:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OKqs3eNzAuY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OKqs3eNzAuY</a>
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:02:21 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #260 on: September 18, 2018, 05:27:43 am »

Yes.. its very difficult to explain the immersion into a game experience the PSVR provides, its one of those things that has to be experienced first hand.

I guess four games stand out for me... Batman, the moment you stand on the roof of the town hall and take in Gotham City at night is just incredible. REZ Infinite... wow, Area x. Resident Evil... incredible experience to be inside a hunted house that is full of detail. Shark and reef experience on PSVR  Worlds is something you will not forget. Dirt Rally is the most immersive driving experience ever. Skyrim post its upgrade on the PS4 Pro...nothing really to say about being in Game of Thrones is there?

And to be fair countless other moments which have to be experienced in VR.. BIG SHOUT OUT TO Wipe-out also.

Buy.

During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #261 on: September 18, 2018, 05:31:11 am »
I agree with every word of this... I use a PS4 Pro which does provide slightly improved graphics and a smoother experience for the PSVR.

Well worth it. And if you haven't experienced anything in VR before and are on the fence about it, the first time you try something like the Shark demo on the VR Worlds, or the Playroom, it'll immediately make you realise you've made a good decision in buying one. As has been said, there is now a fairly decent enough library of games to keep you occupied. Even if a lot of them are short lived, the prices on a lot of them are low enough that you'll get more than your money's worth. Games like Shooty Fruity are shooting gallery games that are basically like going to an arcade or a funfair and paying to get on a ride or attraction. That's literally the best way I can describe it, because it puts you there and you've to physically move and inte

It's pointless to wait, because we just don't know when, or if, Sony will make a PSVR 2, although early signs are that they will. It's just a case of when they think it'll be ready, because as it is, this version of VR is only the first generation, so it's essentially the Intellivision generation of VR. Other companies are working hard on improving the tech, like opening up the FOV to get it closer to human sight, screen tech to mitigate motion sickness and focal range to simulate how your eyes work, better tracking etc. Just recently a company called Pimax released what is said to be regarded as the first 2nd gen headset, and it has an FOV of around 200 degrees, which is nearly double that of the likes of PSVR, and has a max of 4k per eye, as opposed to PSVR's meagre 1080 single panel split over two eyes. All these improvement you'd expect in PSVR 2 and maybe even better or more, but it comes with a cost. It could be about 2 years or more before we see PS5 and PSVR2, and by then costs and improved technologies for VR in general will have improved.

Another thing, the library for PSVR is continually improving and building, and it's said there are at least 200+ more games in development for it, so no worries about it not being supported. Firewall Zero Hour recently released for it, and it's basically Rainbow 6 with 4 man squads online.

This is a good video backing up what I'm saying:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OKqs3eNzAuY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OKqs3eNzAuY</a>

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: October 5, 2018, 03:27:04 pm »
Astro Bot Rescue Mission is well worth your money if you have PSVR. Cost me £25 yesterday in store.

It’s brilliant fun and really uses the makes the most of what VR can offer. You’ll find yourself watching huge things tower over you, need to headbutt things out of the way and peer around corners to keep up with Astro’s position. The verticality if the levels feels brilliant.

Plus, the Bots are just very fun and I want one!

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: October 5, 2018, 04:21:34 pm »
looking at delving into VR a bit more now as my lad has shown an interest so something at Chrimbo would be nice.

I'm not sure whether to go for the PSVR option (I have a standard PS4 downstairs) or the Rift/Hive as I have a powerful enough PC to run it upstairs in a spare room (i7,32G ram, GTX1080) but am unsure what way to go really. The PSVR seems the easiest, but it bugs me that I have the above spec that my lad uses for Fortnite only :-)

Distributors really need to sort out decent demo's to be honest. No -ones gonna buy without trying
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: October 5, 2018, 09:04:02 pm »
My lad is 12 and has both PlayStation VR and an Oculus. Plays Fortnite, Roblox and all that nonsense. He said he prefers the Rift.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: October 6, 2018, 12:34:55 am »
looking at delving into VR a bit more now as my lad has shown an interest so something at Chrimbo would be nice.

I'm not sure whether to go for the PSVR option (I have a standard PS4 downstairs) or the Rift/Hive as I have a powerful enough PC to run it upstairs in a spare room (i7,32G ram, GTX1080) but am unsure what way to go really. The PSVR seems the easiest, but it bugs me that I have the above spec that my lad uses for Fortnite only :-)

Distributors really need to sort out decent demo's to be honest. No -ones gonna buy without trying
What age is your kid?

It's a tricky one, that. There are pros and cons to both, but on the PC end, the HMD's have better tracking, and better controllers. They're more expensive, though, and don't have some of the better VR titles like RE7 (native support at least), Wipeout or Astro Bot.

If you haven't tried VR, then maybe the best option is the PSVR. It's cheaper and will have bundles with Moss and Astro Bot. Pick up used Move controllers. The thing is, the base PS4 is good with most games, but is noticeably worse with some over the Pro. You'll notice pixelation around the edges of the screen in RE7 for example, and some games just aren't as sharp.

If you're into sim racers, or others of any kind, once you try a racing game in VR, there is no going back. If you've a wheel on your PC, and you use that, Vive or Rift.

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/11044941480686733122?lsf=seller:1309967,store:12901071859087301400&prds=oid:11543947156922535710&q=psvr+prices+liverpool&hl=en&ei=RsO3W4TiDsW_lwSxhqjIDg&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjwl9zdBRDgARIsAL5Nyn0ab2vYrCPQxMGfPCsC5f9NQIPYYUJBkLo6tKajATfAB1rmTSpvzrQaAo5QEALw_wcB

Is this a good deal? Is it necessary to buy the move controllers and camera?
You get a camera with that, no moves.

It's a good price for that, but I'd check about for the Astro Bot with Moss bundles. VR Worlds is essentially just an introductory bundle of demos. They're still fairly mind blowing demos if you've not experienced what VR is, though. The Ocean Decent is a good one to start with to acclimate yourself to motion inside a VR headset.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2018, 12:37:20 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: October 6, 2018, 09:21:43 am »
What age is your kid?

It's a tricky one, that. There are pros and cons to both, but on the PC end, the HMD's have better tracking, and better controllers. They're more expensive, though, and don't have some of the better VR titles like RE7 (native support at least), Wipeout or Astro Bot.

If you haven't tried VR, then maybe the best option is the PSVR. It's cheaper and will have bundles with Moss and Astro Bot. Pick up used Move controllers. The thing is, the base PS4 is good with most games, but is noticeably worse with some over the Pro. You'll notice pixelation around the edges of the screen in RE7 for example, and some games just aren't as sharp.

If you're into sim racers, or others of any kind, once you try a racing game in VR, there is no going back. If you've a wheel on your PC, and you use that, Vive or Rift.
You get a camera with that, no moves.

It's a good price for that, but I'd check about for the Astro Bot with Moss bundles. VR Worlds is essentially just an introductory bundle of demos. They're still fairly mind blowing demos if you've not experienced what VR is, though. The Ocean Decent is a good one to start with to acclimate yourself to motion inside a VR headset.

Thanks mate. Can’t find any bundles with Astro Bot and Moss that are local at the min.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: October 6, 2018, 04:47:08 pm »
Thanks mate. Can’t find any bundles with Astro Bot and Moss that are local at the min.

If you’re not in a rush to get it, then keep an eye on hotukdeals for prices, I got mine (the bundle you’re looking at) for £180 in June. And last week I’m sure there was that bundle plus a game from Argos for £200.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: October 6, 2018, 06:25:53 pm »
If you’re not in a rush to get it, then keep an eye on hotukdeals for prices, I got mine (the bundle you’re looking at) for £180 in June. And last week I’m sure there was that bundle plus a game from Argos for £200.

I’m afraid I folded and bought it today Claire!!

Starting it tonight got a few VR games downloaded from PS Plus too!

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: October 6, 2018, 08:23:35 pm »
Thanks Mac.  My lads 11 and is Fortnite mad at the moment. All his mates are on it so its really a social group thing.

I was tempted today just to lash up and get a Rift, but have somehow managed to restrain myself. I think I'll wait till chrimbo time and see what deals are on before I decide - if I can wait. Then it can be a prezzie for him ;-)
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: October 6, 2018, 09:19:16 pm »
Wow.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: October 7, 2018, 08:39:44 am »
Thanks Mac.  My lads 11 and is Fortnite mad at the moment. All his mates are on it so its really a social group thing.

I was tempted today just to lash up and get a Rift, but have somehow managed to restrain myself. I think I'll wait till chrimbo time and see what deals are on before I decide - if I can wait. Then it can be a prezzie for him ;-)
11 should be grand. Sony states 12 and over, but I think it's more to do with precaution and the size of the headset as well as safety. Some people can be prone to motion sickness too, so I'll say this as advice, start with games or experiences that are slow paced and don't have any free locomotion and see how it goes from there. VR legs are the same as sea legs, in that you have to earn them if you suffer from it.

Another thing that might interest you is the Oculus Quest. Not out until Spring next year, but it's completely untethered, requires no external hardware at all, and has 6DoF with inside out tracking used with the Touch controllers. The only real downside is that it'll have mobile level visuals, as it's roughly just slightly more powerful than a PS3 or 360. It runs games like Superhot and Moss, though, and if you haven't experienced Superhot yet, then you're in for a mind blowing experience. Having that at room scale anywhere you want without being tethered = next level shit. That's a system seller as far as I'm concerned and it has me tempted.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: October 7, 2018, 08:55:32 am »
Had to come off it twice midway through games last night, got th sweats and nausea.

Can’t wait to have a go again today!

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: October 7, 2018, 09:40:08 am »
Had to come off it twice midway through games last night, got th sweats and nausea.

Can’t wait to have a go again today!
Be sure to do it as soon as you even get a bit of a twinge of it. If you try to shake it off, it gets worse.

Couple of tips: have a fan blowing on you if you can, and turn down the brightness a bit on the headset by holding in the home button on a controller and going to PSVR settings.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: October 7, 2018, 12:40:40 pm »
Be sure to do it as soon as you even get a bit of a twinge of it. If you try to shake it off, it gets worse.

Couple of tips: have a fan blowing on you if you can, and turn down the brightness a bit on the headset by holding in the home button on a controller and going to PSVR settings.

Thanks mate will do both of those later today.

Offline Destiny

• Main Stander
« Reply #276 on: October 8, 2018, 12:31:40 pm »
Batman VR for 8quid on PSN in sale, defo worth it at that price.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: October 8, 2018, 05:51:42 pm »
Batman VR for 8quid on PSN in sale, defo worth it at that price.
Nice. Have to check that out.

Oh, and if anyone is on the fence about Astro Bot, don't be. It's a game of the year candidate, and one of the most remarkable platform titles ever created for the way it makes use of the platform it was created for. It brought back the joy I used to get from gaming when it was still fun and could surprise you. Had nothing but laugh out loud moments out of sheer astonishment playing it last night.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #278 on: October 9, 2018, 02:58:15 pm »
Borderlands 2 coming out on psvr in December

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: October 9, 2018, 05:45:19 pm »
Borderlands 2 coming out on psvr in December
I've never played any of them, but it's very highly rated. Is it that good?  Just last night I was talking about how it would be good to get a port of something like Fallout 3. Good stuff. PSVR is starting to build a very respectable library of games.