Author Topic: Alberto Moreno: Ghost in the Shell  (Read 445029 times)

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
Re: Alberto Moreno: Ghost in the Shell
« Reply #320 on: August 15, 2016, 11:10:50 pm »
It's his decision making that gets me. Hes a great athlete with a decent left foot and if Klopp can work some magic there's definitely a player in there. The worry comes that every game he has rash moments that are completely avoidable, usually as a result of diving in. Norwich away last season really sticks out when he got wrong side and hacked the player down when there was relatively little danger to our goal. When no penalty was given he had another go and then it was given.

His recovery pace is excellent and he's used it a lot over the last two seasons to pull off last ditch tackles. What I think would really improve his game is to hold the play up when he's caught the player up. Instead once he's caught the man up, he goes straight to ground like an excited kid discovering slide tackling for the first time. He doesn't need to, he's one of the leagues quickest players.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline G-Dragon

• Kemlynite
  • OH, so you wanna argue? BRING IT. Capslock ON!
« Reply #321 on: August 15, 2016, 11:15:30 pm »
Laying into him for the Walcott goal is silly and what makes it appear a witch hunt. IMO, he absolutely was NOT out of position. He was doing his job and preparing to run into the massive amount  of space down that side if Arsenals defence.

We don't lose the ball in the middle and ball is played out to our left... and we are all saying how well he supports the attack.  That comes at a cost.  Opposition coaches aren't stupid and they know that when he pushes, as he clearly is instructed to, that's where the space is.  That's not the fellas fault, it's a fault of either;

1. The tactics.
2. The teams implementation.

The press narrative of him always being  out of position is out of all proportion compared to reality.  Other players in the team need to cover his forward runs better if it's what Klopp wants from Moreno.

All that said, Moreno isn't and shouldn't be immune to criticism.  He was needlessly rash for the penalty when there was no need to make a challenge at all imo.. should have just shepherded away from goal.  He did make a couple of other small mistakes but really other than the penalty, if it was Clyne making them yesterday for examole, he wouldn't be getting crucified in the same way.

Excellent observation. Moreno was at 0 fault for the Walcott goal. He actually recovered very well to try to block the shot. Clearly Lallana shouldn't have lost the ball so cheaply. And where was our CM who was supposed to cover for Moreno when he went forward? If anyone it was that CM who was out of position.

Having said that, the penalty was Moreno's fault. I think Moreno deserves his chance after the likes of Hendo and Lucas has been getting/got them.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #322 on: August 15, 2016, 11:17:25 pm »
Here you go mate.  There's a whole host of fantastic tactical analysis from Bagu, including this post around page 136 or last weekend if you go off the dates, in the general shit chat thread.
Cheers.

Great post.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: August 15, 2016, 11:24:56 pm »
I like him, brainless as he appears to be at times. Great smile under really shit hair do's.  The boo boy's go to guy for now. I can still see him on his away debut against Spurs .... running like a hare after taking the ball off the right full for Spurs and smashing it in... As long as he is there playing he's got my support. Reckon Klopp's got his reasoning right so that works for me.

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #324 on: August 15, 2016, 11:37:11 pm »
He'll score the winning goal to win us the league this season calling it now.Hes still the best left back we've had in about 10 years and he's not even really a left back.

Fabio says bonjour

Online PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: August 15, 2016, 11:39:56 pm »
So, Klopp thinks that he can improve Moreno. And that Milner can perform the Groskreutz role. And we have signed that Juanma kid from Barcelona.

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: August 15, 2016, 11:43:34 pm »
Fabio says bonjour
Fair enough, he was quality but when wasn't he injured.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #327 on: August 16, 2016, 12:03:40 am »
Cheers for the reply.

On Moreno, I believe Klopp wants 1 steady full back and 1 risk taker. Ignore why for a second.

When you think of what a risk taker looks like, he needs explosiveness to go and recover, bravery, aggression.

Why? - he needs to be our legs on the counter on the left hand side. That is why he bombs past Coutinho on transitions. I believe how Klopp is looking at this is that our transitions are a problem. And Moreno is more exposed than most as he is the risk taker in his defence. He could tell Moreno to stop - but then that causes us other problems tactically on the counter. Or he can drill the side until we are masters of the transitions like at Dortmund.

In addition, to set pressing traps successfully he needs those things for the full back to bet on himself getting to the ball before the winger when the trap is active. If he just keeps his position and marks the winger, he has an easy job getting the ball and thus the trap is ineffective. Also the explosiveness to get down the flank and cover if the passing trap fails and the team turns out of it and down the flank.

There are consequences to having such a player, and we are seeing them nice and brightly right now. But the fact remains I think Klopp wants a player like this in his team. Not two steady dependable full backs. Klopp will believe with training he can iron out the problems with Moreno that come down to "he isn´t very smart, is he?" simply because you can train a grunt into being an elite soldier. It´s just training training and training. Combined with the time to get our transitions right also, Moreno´s problems will stop being exacerbated by the system and his own personal struggles should decrease over time.

Whether this happens or not is another thing entirely. But I am sure this is how he is looking at the situation right now. If he wanted a Hector for left back, he would bin Moreno quick. Therefore he either believes in himself to use coaching to solve this problem, or there is genuinely no better fullbacks available who are what he wants for the role.

Babu love your optimism brother! 

Really, refreshing to piece together why Moreno is still on the roster from a tactical/coaching perspective --- at least much more convincing to me what you propose than the Klopp loves him or is telling him what do memes. 

I think the point I want to touch upon is risk, as you so aptly integrate this throughout your post.  The risk that we are talking about is more of a dyad risk/reward (at least in how I'm seeing it).  And I do see the merit in your points about getting up and out helps us with shape in the attack and transition as well as makes us harder to play against ---- takes up resources from the opposing right mid/flank player to account for him.

All these points are not disputed, in fact they are applauded as you make the smart point that an anti-Moreno or newly coached Moreno being told to stop causes other problems in the game. 

Alas, the beautiful game is both a bitch morphing constantly with adaptation as a key element and has essential constants which all good teams rely upon for predictability/repetition.

Using less hyperbole and a bit more nuance here, I think we can still be critical of Moreno (without involving Klopp in this).  Hear me out.   

First, the risk/reward ratio is very high with Alberto.  He poses a fundamental risk to the defense (psychologically) as well as structurally not based on his physical presence but on his ability to understand his role (priorities).  This has been well documented over the time he has been here.

Second, the lure of the reward with Moreno is "White Hart Lane" emblazoned upon the memories of most LFC supporters.  The reward happened.  It was immediate.  And intense.  But, that happens so infrequently as question is Moreno's upside overvalued.  We supporters and transfer committee members may have too much Spurs game on the brain...  instead of he cost us about 10-12 goals last year directly.  We replace his upside with a memorable goal and dismiss his risk --- as he becomes known as more of an offensive player in a defensive role.  This is pretty fucked up mental gymnastics considering he is playing in one of the four back spots for one of the top teams in the world.  I think we can find the kind of risk/reward player we need that seeks more of a balance versus an all or none type of movement, positioning, and tackling.  There is a time and place for everything.  Someone has told the lad this, but he still wants to ride his motorbike on without a helmut.

Third, the risk is going up on him.  This is where the psychological component is so devastating.  Each game he plays, it gets worse.  He does not have another club to pull out of the bag --- all he is hits is a 4 four iron (sometimes two footed). 

Four, I think Klopp sees this as high risk and he already has someone else in mind for another transfer window --- Hence, Chilwell (young player) and why he is asking Milner to fill in.  The timing of keeping Moreno probably has to do with someone like Rodriguez at Wolfsburg or some other working class left back in the Bundesliga.   I think he see Moreno as a short term reclamation project (a back up).  And it serves his interest to do this --- as his value in the transfer market is much lower.  Moreno is not the long term solution here.... everyone knows it but what is the best way to part?  This is my take.

And for what is it worth, if A Moreno turns it around, I have little problem eating my words.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 12:29:31 am by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #328 on: August 16, 2016, 12:07:36 am »
Fair enough, he was quality but when wasn't he injured.

When he was leaving Van Der Sar looking like a wanker at Old Trafford.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #329 on: August 16, 2016, 02:01:45 am »
When he was leaving Van Der Sar looking like a wanker at Old Trafford.

And when Fabio made Cech in his prime look like an idiot.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: August 16, 2016, 02:55:47 am »
I'd like to see those quotes, the only ones I recall was him saying Klopp asked him whether he'd play fullback. There was a fair amount of belief in the press that Milner was going to start left back and he also started our last two 'proper' friendlies.
“He’s asked if I was willing to cover the full-back positions, basically, if there was a point in the season where there were injuries or like at Man United last season in the Europa League when I played left back."
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/milner-tells-liverpool-boss-klopp-11683630

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #331 on: August 16, 2016, 03:36:09 am »
Moreno must have a good relationship with Klopp, he was patting him on the arse in the post game wander.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: August 16, 2016, 03:59:31 am »
Moreno must have a good relationship with Klopp, he was patting him on the arse in the post game wander.
You are almost making it sound as if it's a negative .

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #333 on: August 16, 2016, 04:17:40 am »
Unfortunately, criticism of players has always been around and even some of our club's true icons have taken loads over the years.

Those of you who remember the infamous Watford  FA Cup knock-out in 1970 might also remember the stick that was dished out at some of the players  in the days after the match, and we're talking about the likes of Ian St John, Rowdy Yeats and Roger Hunt here. This was basically when Shanks realised that he was going to have to break up the team of his own creation because he knew that they were coming up to their sell-by date.
Having said that, although I was only a 10-year old kid, I still remember that despite the whinging and criticism  it was done with far less hatred and aggression than nowadays. Self-regulation was part of the way life used to be, and anyone thought to be over-doing it was told so in no uncertain terms.

Moreno probably feels like dog-shite himself at the moment. He 's probably been feeling like that since May. Can't imagine what he's feeling after the win yesterday. The atmosphere should be brilliant in the dressing room after a first away win at Arsenal, but I'm sure he'll be a bit confused. Just as well his English is so appalling that he can't read some of the stuff that's been churned out about him on here.
 But then again.  I suppose he'll have Lovren, Lucas, Henderson and Mignolet telling him that the most knowlegeable fans in football will come to love him one day. And if the keyboard Guardiolas are worried about our manager not noticing any of this, I feel sure that Jurgen is well aware of Moreno's shortcomings and knows full-well that the lad is no Roberto Carlos.

I think it's inevitable that anyone who isn't thought to be up to scratch is going to have a hard time from the supporters. Nevertheless, the way it's done is telling. Vile and abusive shite is not the Liverpool way, or at least it never used to be.     'kin  hell! Hate to  imagine what it would have been like if we'd lost.

Mate go to page one to 10 of the main boards and get a read through. It's 2004 I think and it was less pronounced then too. Nowadays it's a little bit over the top.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline HiTs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • In Istanbul when we won it 5 times!
« Reply #334 on: August 16, 2016, 08:10:05 am »
Young fella, I think if he can control his attacking instincts and improve positional play...he'll do just fine. Think he has too much in his locker and is making the wrong choices, Klopp and team have made their rep developing players such as this. I remember when Carra first came, scored a boat load of own goals (QPR?) but then settled down.

Oh and Alberto can get rid of that silly haircut to start !!!
★      ★       ★       ★       ★       ★                        ★                          ★
77     78      81      84       05      19      World Champions 2019     Premier League 2020

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #335 on: August 16, 2016, 08:50:55 am »
I'm hoping Moreno can still have a place at the club. He'd be excellent as a Wing-back, he's got work to do in his current position, but some of the comments in this thread are pretty poor.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #336 on: August 16, 2016, 09:09:40 am »
I think criticising the recklessness is fair.
Moreno bombing forwards the moment we are in possession of the ball is clearly (CLEARLY) instructions from the manager.
Klopp would have hooked Moreno by now if it weren't the case.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #337 on: August 16, 2016, 09:14:45 am »
Moreno bombing forwards the moment we are in possession of the ball is clearly (CLEARLY) instructions from the manager.

I accept the tactical reasons for some of his positional errors but can he learn to tackle cleanly? That is my biggest misgiving.

Offline Brasco

• Main Stander
  • It's more than a train ride home these days.
« Reply #338 on: August 16, 2016, 09:18:26 am »
Just so we ware absolutely clear, you are predicting a future that may or may not happen to support your belief. One which there is actually zero evidence to suggest might actually happen.

To play devil's advocate, it's a prediction based on observed evidence, that of Milner being played at LB in preseason. It's worth taking note of because it's not a position Milner has been known for playing in the past. You can argue that this is because we lack cover at LB so Klopp's trying out options, but it's fair to assume that if Moreno is struggling for whatever reason, Milner may take his place. It's certainly not conclusive evidence but it isn't zero evidence either.
We want to go to the best teams in the world and give them hell

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: August 16, 2016, 09:23:15 am »

He still needs to be more intelligent when putting the role into practise. See danger quicker. IF it is instructions only and Moreno is the risk taker getting forward and Clyne more conservative of the two how is it that Clyne got forward far more, offered more of a threat and didn't get exposed like Moreno did.

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: August 16, 2016, 09:24:20 am »
No where near good enough to be starting regularly at left back; whats even more of a concern is that I don't thinks he's good enough to be second choice either. Once Milner and Gomez return to fitness perhaps we might be able to get away with not signing anyone there until the right player becomes available? 
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: August 16, 2016, 09:29:14 am »
No where near good enough to be starting regularly at left back; whats even more of a concern is that I don't thinks he's good enough to be second choice either. Once Milner and Gomez return to fitness perhaps we might be able to get away with not signing anyone there until the right player becomes available?

Have no problem if Klopp sees the player he wants in him but he has to come out of the side if this kind of thing keeps costing us goals.

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: August 16, 2016, 09:53:11 am »
The problem is he doesn't learn from his mistakes.

He dived into the tackle on Walcott when he didn't need to which shows he didn't learn his lesson from the Norwich penalty. He was out of position right after Mignolet bailed him out which shows he didn't learn from the Villarreal or West Ham goals.

These are basic errors he shouldn't be making. I hope we sign another Clyne to replace him but it looks like we're stuck with him for another season.
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: August 16, 2016, 10:07:18 am »
So, Klopp thinks that he can improve Moreno. And that Milner can perform the Groskreutz role. And we have signed that Juanma kid from Barcelona.

Trust our manager, support our players. Simple innit?
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #344 on: August 16, 2016, 10:13:53 am »
“He’s asked if I was willing to cover the full-back positions, basically, if there was a point in the season where there were injuries or like at Man United last season in the Europa League when I played left back."
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/milner-tells-liverpool-boss-klopp-11683630
James Pearce is reporting that Milner is set to replace Moreno at left back against Burnley so.....
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: August 16, 2016, 10:19:28 am »
James Pearce is reporting that Milner is set to replace Moreno at left back against Burnley so.....

So we can't answer that question until the end of the season and see how many times Moreno started at LB versus how many Milner started. What Klopp intends to do in specific games at the start of the season isn't a full answer (and we'll see what he does, versus what Pearce is reporting he intends to do).

A fact remains, which is that we haven't bought a LB. Whatever else that implies, it does suggest Klopp sees Moreno above Konchesky level, at the very least.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: August 16, 2016, 10:26:30 am »
Poor fullback. Top wing-back.

Moreno's best spell for us came when we played 5 at the back. Didn't suit the rest of the team but him it did.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #347 on: August 16, 2016, 10:26:38 am »
Moreno being debated is justified by the inconsistency of his performances, mainly due to his keenness to surge forward at every opportunity.

While it is obvious that the main bone of contention is his defensive lapses leading to instability in defense, especially with the frailties of Mignolet commanding his box, and the absence of a settled centreback pairing (Sakho-Lovren), Klopp is trying to get the best out of him.

The left back position has always been very difficult to fill at LFC for many years as understandably there are not many available who are strong defensively as well as capable of rapid attacks up the wing, as Klopp seems to prefer, and most of us.

We all prefer a better player to replace him and I am sure if a suitable player is available in this window we will get him. The team needs to be improved all the time and our LB position is deemed to be the weakest by supporters and pundits alike. After all Klopp is not a Wenger, so even if a good left back costs BIG money, we will go for him.

Until that happens Klopp has to put his faith in Moreno and coax/sqeeze the best out of him in every game. For us we have to give our unreserved support to the club, to Klopp, and to all players he puts out in the team. When the game is on that is what we should do, encourage everyone.
Doubters to Believers

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #348 on: August 16, 2016, 10:28:27 am »
So we can't answer that question until the end of the season and see how many times Moreno started at LB versus how many Milner started. What Klopp intends to do in specific games at the start of the season isn't a full answer (and we'll see what he does, versus what Pearce is reporting he intends to do).

A fact remains, which is that we haven't bought a LB. Whatever else that implies, it does suggest Klopp sees Moreno above Konchesky level, at the very least.
I don't think anyone has an issue with Klopp believing he can mould Moreno into a capable left back with training and coaching. If he can do that, Moreno would be a great asset to us. Based on Milner starting the last two proper friendlies at left back it appears Klopp was looking to start the season with him there while Moreno is being brought up to the level Klopp requires.

The question is whether Milner is suitable back up for a team that wants to challenge at the top of the table and should we be relying on an relatively untried CM at LB with an error prone back-up? I don't think Milner will have the same lapses in concentration that Moreno suffers but at the same time he isn't a defender and is likely to be caught out of position while having a right footed player at left back isn't ideal for our attacking play.

This still leaves more question than answers for me. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: August 16, 2016, 10:36:51 am »

We have signed Juanma

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: August 16, 2016, 10:46:30 am »
We have signed Juanma

It was stated when we signed him that he would join the U23 squad so it doesn't appear that he's being considered at this moment as a first team option. How long that will be the case we don't know.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #351 on: August 16, 2016, 10:53:11 am »

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: August 16, 2016, 10:59:38 am »
It was stated when we signed him that he would join the U23 squad so it doesn't appear that he's being considered at this moment as a first team option. How long that will be the case we don't know.

Klopp appeared to be more interesting in training Moreno to suit the team rather than replacing him and wanting to sign a young full back (Chilwell) to develop. That fell through so we signed a young LB (Juanma) who is currently in the u23's (and is the same age as Chilwell). Now I'm not saying he will play the same role Chilwell was going to, but all this talk of us not signing a left back when we have is a bit tiresome now. With Milner also able to fill in, plus Clyne at a push then I'm not surprised Klopp is saying we are actively not looking for a LB but I'm sure if the right player becomes available at the right price then we will move for them.
Right, back to the Moreno bashing.........

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #353 on: August 16, 2016, 11:00:39 am »
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-left-back-alberto-moreno-11754186

James Pearce saying he will be dropped for Milner at the weekend.

Strange that considering how many people over the course of the past day or so have been at pains to say that Klopp must be happy/OK with Moreno's performance levels.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #354 on: August 16, 2016, 11:02:30 am »

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: August 16, 2016, 11:05:44 am »
The question is whether Milner is suitable back up for a team that wants to challenge at the top of the table and should we be relying on an relatively untried CM at LB with an error prone back-up? I don't think Milner will have the same lapses in concentration that Moreno suffers but at the same time he isn't a defender and is likely to be caught out of position while having a right footed player at left back isn't ideal for our attacking play.

This still leaves more question than answers for me. 

I think a player like Milner is fine as real 'backup' at LB, but would agree with your concerns if he's a real challenger for the position or expected to play a significant number of games at the position. Which again would suggest to me that Klopp still doesn't quite see Moreno as a write off. Perhaps the intention is/was to play Milner in certain away games, particularly at the start of the season when Moreno's enthusiasm may be particularly difficult to control. Perhaps Klopp is prepared to take a bit of a gamble with the position if the LB he really wants isn't available just yet. Perhaps we'll increase our offer for Chilwell yet.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #356 on: August 16, 2016, 11:08:15 am »
As much as I think it's silly that we haven't signed a new left back, I am excited to see Milner play there against a side like Burnley. They'll probably have Lowton and Boyd down the right so there's no doubt in my mind he can handle those sort of players and give them a lot of problems going the other way. It's Walker and Lamela the following week I'd be nervous about. It's a big ask and it remains to be seen how much he will relish the test given he doesn't like playing there.

This is where Moreno gives us a real headache. I keep hearing we should play him at home against lesser sides and Milner in tougher games. Just stop and pause for a second there. That means people consider Milner - a wide midfielder for most of his career - a more reliable option than our natural full-back. It's farcical. He really should just be upgraded with Milner remaining a back-up option there.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:10:12 am by bcurtis92 »

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: August 16, 2016, 11:08:21 am »
Strange that considering how many people over the course of the past day or so have been at pains to say that Klopp must be happy/OK with Moreno's performance levels.

I don't think anyone has said that. What some have said, is that Klopp seems to be okay with certain tactical parts of Moreno's game that some of his critics focus on - getting forward at every opportunity, even with some degree of risk. Clearly no one is happy with ridiculous challenges giving away penalties under little danger.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #358 on: August 16, 2016, 11:10:41 am »
I think a player like Milner is fine as real 'backup' at LB, but would agree with your concerns if he's a real challenger for the position or expected to play a significant number of games at the position. Which again would suggest to me that Klopp still doesn't quite see Moreno as a write off. Perhaps the intention is/was to play Milner in certain away games, particularly at the start of the season when Moreno's enthusiasm may be particularly difficult to control. Perhaps Klopp is prepared to take a bit of a gamble with the position if the LB he really wants isn't available just yet. Perhaps we'll increase our offer for Chilwell yet.
He's signed a new contract mate so that boat has sailed.

I'm assuming as Moreno didn't go tot he Euro's he'd have had a full pre-season and plenty of time for Klopp to work with him? From what James Pearce has reported we've been looking at left-back samples so Klopp can't be entirely happy with his options. 

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #359 on: August 16, 2016, 11:14:36 am »
Trust our manager, support our players. Simple innit?

Absolutely, always support the fam, blud.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.