Author Topic: What is RAWK?  (Read 383029 times)

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
Re: What is RAWK?
« Reply #400 on: May 8, 2012, 06:50:46 pm »
Interesting idea that might be worth a try. I'm not sure that the vote at the end is necessary.
Sounds like a good idea but has its problems. The key problem with it is that this is a discussion forum in which everyone can contribute. If you preselect people and constrict who can debate, you are undermining that key aspect of a forum.
Also, it would probably feel artificial.
 - Who would do pre-selecting: moderators.
 - Would moderators know what kind of opinions selectees would express: yes.
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #401 on: May 8, 2012, 06:51:44 pm »
Sorry, but that's not true. I don't know how the site is run, much less dislike it.

I won't respond to all your points but this one is salient. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I find it a bit rude to hand out your opinions about something you admit you know nothing about.

I apologise if I made the mistake of assuming that you were criticising the way we run the site after you'd taken time to understand what we try to do here and why we moderate the way we do. I hadn't appreciated that you were just applying your standard one-size-fits-all approach to moderation.

Maybe we can discuss this again when you've seen how it actually works in reality.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Pheeny

« Reply #402 on: May 8, 2012, 06:55:35 pm »
A prime example of that "just in time" moderation mentioned on page 1!  ;D
Bloodyhell, the axe was in quick there.
I aim to please...

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #403 on: May 8, 2012, 06:56:09 pm »
Sounds like a good idea but has its problems. The key problem with it is that this is a discussion forum in which everyone can contribute. If you preselect people and constrict who can debate, you are undermining that key aspect of a forum.

In practice I would imagine that it would work like a round table topic where the debate would be started in the scribes hidden den, and by the time it emerged onto the main board, it would have reached critical mass so that the overall quality discourages dross posting.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #404 on: May 8, 2012, 06:56:11 pm »
Debates on here are getting too serious...

Maybe at the end of every season we should have Moderator ranking by users and introducing a promotion / relegation system ;D

If it works, we can approach the FA to apply it to their referees.  ;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #405 on: May 8, 2012, 06:57:29 pm »
have more Mods for various time zones.

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #406 on: May 8, 2012, 06:59:17 pm »
I, for one, would like to see in-game threads returned. IMO, the key purpose of a forum like this is to allow people to express hot air and have an opportunity to share their happiness and frustration with their fellow supporters, and in-game threads are perfect for this.
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Pheeny

« Reply #407 on: May 8, 2012, 07:01:39 pm »
"Ruthlessness among the mods why we need to get it back"

Too many forumites think not what they can do for the site, for the club, for the fanbase, issues which we can effect but as evidently seen from this thread alone want to continue using the forum as a toilet to vent their spleen arguing pointlessly over issues that we have next to no control over. 

"I want a pre match thread so i can whinge over the team selection and who is and isnt on the subs bench because i see it as my right, this is a discussion forum isnt it, so well let me vent, even though it serves no real purpose, and gets many other forumites backs up before a ball is kicked."

(Meanwhile, those actually at the match, are having a pint for 4.80, trying out new songs, hanging out new banners, having a laugh, handing out dont buy the sun stickers and flyers, trying out new songs, being manhandled by overly zealous stewards, being told to sit down, being filmed for being football fans.)

I want a match thread, so i can whine about the formation, the tactics, the first 11 and will argue with anyone who doesnt agree with me, over and over again, ignoring what is even happening on the pitch, cos my opinion is absolutely all important.

(while those at the match, who've spent an arm and a leg on tickets and travel, are doing what they can, irrespective of who's picked, who's played, the formation, whos on the subs bench, whos managing us, who the owners are, what colour kit we are wearing, theirs a match going on and they are trying to do what they can to encourage those playing for us to put in a shift)

I want an immediate post match thread, so i can carry on the arguments i was having in the pre match and match topics, about the 11 that played, cos they havent won 5 nil, they arent top of the league, and i want to comment about the opposition fans outsinging us at home"

Meanwhile those at the match are making their way home and who may want to talk about their experiences are met with a forum of petty pointless whinning, whinging, moaning, contribute fuck all to the site as a whole, and worse still tell those at the match that they should be doing more, that their opinions are no more important, they shouldnt wear those tshirts, shouldnt sing this, shouldnt do that. 

The supporters of this club are everything, those that pay the money, make the effort, make the banners, pay for the banners, get the songs going, get over charged for everything and treated like shite by everyone bar those who go with them.   

Dont get me wrong, i understand that their are multitude of reasons, why some cant go, priced out, distance, family, jobs, health.  I know there's plenty on here that love the club just as much as as those lucky enough who can go, i know they know the score, know what its all about and have plenty to contribute to the site.

I know there are plenty of good forumites that have been sucked into the sea of shite that is the main footy forum because its become the norm. 

You have a chance right now to think about your contribution to this site, this club, this fanbase.   To ask yourselves can you be doing more, contributing more for the benefit of all. 

Right now, well i'm getting my self ready to go the match, to cheer on whoever the fuck is picked for us, to sing for our manager and the others on the pitch who may well not be here next season, to show my gratitude for the years of service they have put in and the cup they've won.

You can do what you want. 

Next season, however, i will be far less tolerant and make no apologies for banning and muting disrespectful, selfish, forumites who contribute nothing but their own hot air. 

Pheeny

« Reply #408 on: May 8, 2012, 07:03:06 pm »
No more posts about the chat room please.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: May 8, 2012, 07:04:56 pm »

The idea is to take subjects that descend into tit-for-tat posting and abuse. It would be artificial but then all internet discussions are artificial. I have never seen the kind of petty point scoring in a real life discussion about football in discussion amongst real people in pub after the game.

How it might work:

We wouldn't pre-select contributors. We would post up a topic and make an open invitation for anyone to contribute a short piece on it (for or against) by PM to the editor.

A selection of panelists would be made by the editor, based on the quality of their contribution and they would take turns to make their opening posts, responses and closing posts with questions being submitted by PM 'from the floor' during the debate.

Personally I'd stick to two people on each side of the debate.

And possibly have a starred discussion topic afterwards to discuss the debate.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: May 8, 2012, 07:06:36 pm »
have more Mods for various time zones.

Great idea -  where do I get to go? Baggsy Jamaica.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Outlaw

• Main Stander
« Reply #411 on: May 8, 2012, 07:10:51 pm »
I won't respond to all your points but this one is salient. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I find it a bit rude to hand out your opinions about something you admit you know nothing about.

Moderation and the running of a site are two different things. As a web designer, administrator and writer, I feel the two are very different. I didn't, to my knowledge, pass any comments - rude or otherwise - about the running of the site. I only commented, when requested, on the way the site is moderated.

I apologise if I made the mistake of assuming that you were criticising the way we run the site after you'd taken time to understand what we try to do here and why we moderate the way we do. I hadn't appreciated that you were just applying your standard one-size-fits-all approach to moderation.

Maybe we can discuss this again when you've seen how it actually works in reality.

I know how the forum works. I was, and I say this honestly, just giving my opinion to try to provoke some thought into how the forum part of the site is moderated. I was being honest when I said I didn't mean any offence, even if I took to your instant 'if you don't like it, leg it' response. I thought that was a bit rude. Still, only t'internet, isn't it?

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #412 on: May 8, 2012, 07:11:10 pm »
In practice I would imagine that it would work like a round table topic where the debate would be started in the scribes hidden den, and by the time it emerged onto the main board, it would have reached critical mass so that the overall quality discourages dross posting.
I see what you're saying. It could work well, but the topics of debate have to really be interesting and meaningful: like, should Kenny Dalglish be sacked? With a couple of guys out there who really feel he should be sacked throwing down the gauntlet, alongside the opposing views. Not watered-down topics that stay away from controversy and remain firmly within what are considered to be acceptable arguments that befit a Liverpool supporter or even a Liverpoodlian.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #413 on: May 8, 2012, 07:11:21 pm »
I think the debate thing is a brilliant idea, personally.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: May 8, 2012, 07:11:47 pm »
what does an editor do?

my apologies for my ignorance, not taking the piss or anything jus not that smart haha

Its two things mate.
1. Royhendo, myself and VdM are all 'RAWK' editors at the mo, with Royhendo having the official title. The Editor is supposed to give direction to the content of the site, to shape the direction of editorial content and encourage excellence in writing. Originally Rushian was in charge of the Opinion Board, would take articles, edit them and post them in that board and we think RoyH is a brilliant choice to reinvigorate and re-vitalise the content of the site. Kev and I will help out and facilitate with Roy and point scribes in the right direction.
2. The RAWK Editor email is a main point of contact for the site and all mods can access this account and check on emails from outside, or pleas from the banned etc.
Yep.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #415 on: May 8, 2012, 07:12:50 pm »
Aye but it ends up deleted or lost in the inane drivel half of the time as soon as a player is mentioned to be shite for one reason or another.

Even some decent posts stating a players negatives are deleted when valid points are raised. We all know Downing isn't the right player for us, yet when someone says the same thing before/during/after the match, it gets frowned upon and the user possibly warned/banned*

I'm not saying keep the posts that just say "Player X is shite," however do keep the ones that raise the valid points as to why the player simply isn't good enough.

*Not sure if that's actually the case, but seems that way IMO.

Thats how I feel Mc. I don`t go along with the view "If he`s got a red shirt on he should be backed to the hilt". I will always feel the need to back a player who is playing shite but still giving 100% effort. Big Andy is a prime example of this. Lets face it he`s been woeful at times this season but he`s never hidden, always got back up, dusted himself down and tried again. To me they are the qualities of an honest player. A player who cares.

When it comes to players who are playing shite and not putting any effort in to try their fucking damdest to put things right, then I feel it`s only fair that the player is discussed as being shite and the need to get rid (I think we all know who I`m talking about). I first stood on the Kop with my dad when I was six years old and I`ve never looked back. As supporters we show that same passion and care when we travel all over this country/world to support the lads. So when a player does not show any fight, passion, care then to me thats a fucking slap in the face. To me these are the qualities I do not want to see in a red shirt.

I understand the mods view (and alot of other posters ) that a one line "Player x is shite, get rid" really does not add much and is the reason why alot of good posts are lost. I do believe that if someone explains why they feel "player x is shite" and gives some valid reasons then they should not be shouted down by the "Everyone in a red shirt should be backed to the hilt" brigade.

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #416 on: May 8, 2012, 07:12:55 pm »
The idea is to take subjects that descend into tit-for-tat posting and abuse. It would be artificial but then all internet discussions are artificial. I have never seen the kind of petty point scoring in a real life discussion about football in discussion amongst real people in pub after the game.

How it might work:

We wouldn't pre-select contributors. We would post up a topic and make an open invitation for anyone to contribute a short piece on it (for or against) by PM to the editor.

A selection of panelists would be made by the editor, based on the quality of their contribution and they would take turns to make their opening posts, responses and closing posts with questions being submitted by PM 'from the floor' during the debate.

Personally I'd stick to two people on each side of the debate.

And possibly have a starred discussion topic afterwards to discuss the debate.
That sounds much better and very interesting!

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #417 on: May 8, 2012, 07:14:32 pm »
I, for one, would like to see in-game threads returned. IMO, the key purpose of a forum like this is to allow people to express hot air and have an opportunity to share their happiness and frustration with their fellow supporters, and in-game threads are perfect for this.

Fuck me no thanks. If they return ill turn the pc off. Whats wrong with just going to the in game commentary, enjoying the hard work the commentators do, get pissed off etc, think about the game for ten minutes and then post on here. They were absolute carnage and as mentioned earlier, the in game commentary was one of the best things ive seen implemented on here.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: May 8, 2012, 07:18:07 pm »
By the way, there are clear guidelines in the Feedback Board that give users direction as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

I also stand by my view that a debate on Kenny being sacked is disrespectful. I may be old fashioned but I do. Especially Dalglish. Now RAWK had a view after a long long time that Houllier should move on, and similarly we had a lot of arguments over Hodgson too. But make no mistake, RAWK as a campaigning tool be it for kicking H&G out, or our belief as a site that a manager should go, we take that stance. But til that time, we don't think talk of sacking the incumbent Liverpool manager is remotely a good thing ever.
Yep.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: May 8, 2012, 07:23:38 pm »
I'm afraid all football forums will follow the same trajectory as the atmosphere in the grounds: RAWK will follow the same course as its famous namesake.

The Sky generation and all seated stadiums have led to a malaise in the atmosphere in the ground, I'm off to the Kop now and I know the atmosphere is going to resemble the cinema at times. Of course, the big games can shake the fans out of their lethargy but normal service is soon resumed. It'll be the same in football forums, as they become more and more popular with a new breed of internet savvy bods without any clear idea of what makes supporting Liverpool special begin to log on and post (and post and post), the 'atomsphere' on RAWK will suffer and there will always be a feeling 'it was better way back when'.

Even accepting there will be an ever increasing amount of posters that will post without thinking, I think a key way to improve the site is to foreground the Opinion section and educate new posters by showcasing superb posts. Some of the best posts are as good and as insightful and what is posted on The Anfield Wrap, etc. Opinion seems like a graveyard at the moment - somehow revitalising it would educate the newer posters and help them understand the ideology of RAWK isn't one of one line throwaway posts.

---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #420 on: May 8, 2012, 07:27:55 pm »
Apologies if suggested earlier in the thread, but why not lock the whole LFC Forum whilst the match is on.

Never understood how people can be posting on here at the same time as watching / listening to the match. Surely there are other sources of" in match" info for those overseas etc who might otherwise have probs accessing info (maybe keep open "where cam i watch the game" thread)

Also, why not leave the post match thread locked for an hour or two after a bad result so people can cool down a bit,  the amount of one sentence variants on "that was shit" is ridiculous. Better to wait a day or two and read the thread backwards where the insightful posts can be viewed.

Still a good site though!
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #421 on: May 8, 2012, 07:29:43 pm »
Fuck me no thanks. If they return ill turn the pc off. Whats wrong with just going to the in game commentary, enjoying the hard work the commentators do, get pissed off etc, think about the game for ten minutes and then post on here. They were absolute carnage and as mentioned earlier, the in game commentary was one of the best things ive seen implemented on here.
I see what you say, but I feel letting people express their immediate feelings (good and bad) in an in-game thread actually prevents such stuff from leaking into other threads. For me it makes sense to allow in-game threads, but provide stiffer rules for other threads where moderators feel meaningful/intelligent discussion is essential.
The logic also being... if you're not up for reading an in-game thread, don't go in there.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #422 on: May 8, 2012, 07:30:47 pm »
Apologies if suggested earlier in the thread, but why not lock the whole LFC Forum whilst the match is on.

Never understood how people can be posting on here at the same time as watching / listening to the match. Surely there are other sources of" in match" info for those overseas etc who might otherwise have probs accessing info (maybe keep open "where cam i watch the game" thread)

Also, why not leave the post match thread locked for an hour or two after a bad result so people can cool down a bit,  the amount of one sentence variants on "that was shit" is ridiculous. Better to wait a day or two and read the thread backwards where the insightful posts can be viewed.

Still a good site though!

I have no access to most media for the game so i rely on the in game commentary for my match updates. I agree with locking the rest if the IGC can be kept going.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: May 8, 2012, 07:33:53 pm »
Here's a good thread that's a microcosm of RAWK. The Pre Match Thread for tonight's game. There's a comment that says "Downing to have a stormer", then someone writes "Good one" and some posters follow up with "out of order" etc. Then someone writes "You can't write that on here!"

This sums up the difficulty we have to a degree. Personally, I think that's quite funny to say "good one", its not that nice but its humourous not that derogatory to the player and is part of the wit that Reds have. Or you get some who would say that's just a pisstake and we should remove people who are disrespectful to the player. Or you get posters writing "You can't write that on here" which is funny and wrong and not on topic but doesn't bother me that much. So we live and let live. Yet many members still have the opinion that we are draconian in our moderation and will ban and clamp down and so on.

But we don't. But also that pre match thread isn't going to win any prizes for literature and will sink without much of a trace and I wonder, should we lock it as its full of nothing, or should we let it stay as a place for people to sound off aimlessly about the match or etc etc.

RAWK, once it got busy, has always been a depository for the instant pot noodle thread and the fine dining thread. We're never going to lose entirely one or the other, and I don't want to. We should have the light and the heavy. As we've seen from this great debate, one man's piss is another man's lovely drop of Chablis.
Yep.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #424 on: May 8, 2012, 07:41:11 pm »

RAWK, once it got busy, has always been a depository for the instant pot noodle thread and the fine dining thread. We're never going to lose entirely one or the other, and I don't want to. We should have the light and the heavy. As we've seen from this great debate, one man's piss is another man's lovely drop of Chablis.

haha Hinesy love it.

I`ve actually just debated with myself (in my head you understand) wether to post that as it was a one line post soidecidedtomakeitabitlongerbytypingthis

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #425 on: May 8, 2012, 07:47:30 pm »
Here's a good thread that's a microcosm of RAWK. The Pre Match Thread for tonight's game. There's a comment that says "Downing to have a stormer", then someone writes "Good one" and some posters follow up with "out of order" etc. Then someone writes "You can't write that on here!"

This sums up the difficulty we have to a degree. Personally, I think that's quite funny to say "good one", its not that nice but its humourous not that derogatory to the player and is part of the wit that Reds have. Or you get some who would say that's just a pisstake and we should remove people who are disrespectful to the player. Or you get posters writing "You can't write that on here" which is funny and wrong and not on topic but doesn't bother me that much. So we live and let live. Yet many members still have the opinion that we are draconian in our moderation and will ban and clamp down and so on.

But we don't. But also that pre match thread isn't going to win any prizes for literature and will sink without much of a trace and I wonder, should we lock it as its full of nothing, or should we let it stay as a place for people to sound off aimlessly about the match or etc etc.

Great post Hinesy! Provides a bit of insight into moderators' way of thinking. I really feel you hit the spot when you wrote that RAWK was, and should be, "a depository for the instant pot noodle thread and the fine dining thread." My opinion is to have rules that allow for both of those to flourish. This is how:
- allow for people to express their instant pot noodle opinions in places like in-game threads and pre-game threads. That is what most supporters love about forums, an ability to express instantaneous feelings and connect with other people who care. Not much control oversight should be in such places, given that they will end up in oblivion one way or another. Only the most offensive content/posters should be eliminated.
- control tightly the content in places designated for fine-dining, intelligent debate. Have such content started in a round-table, or designated-debaters, fashion, extending it slowly to the masses and controlling the contribution tightly.

IMHO, RAWK has lost a bit of balance in that regard whereby fine-dining and pot-noodle are intermixed pretty much everywhere. RAWK often feels way too constrained and over-regulated.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #426 on: May 8, 2012, 07:57:05 pm »
So how about a closing of most the board except streams/comms thread during the matches? Would that be a silly idea.

ps kick off in 4 mins ;)
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #427 on: May 8, 2012, 10:24:37 pm »
Looking at the feedback threads after the cup final there are perhaps some newer users who don't really understand how RAWK works. So I thought I would try to first offer an explanation and then ask for your feedback on where you think we are getting it right and, more importantly, where you think we are getting it wrong.

I guess the post the triggered this explanation was a sarcastic "What do you think this is, a discussion forum?"
Well it clearly is a discussion forum but that is only part of the story. It should be a place to read good writing about Liverpool FC, it should encourage good writers to submit articles knowing that they will be read and they'll get intelligent feedback and encouragement. I am hugely proud of the lads who have cut their teeth on here and gone on to make a living writing about LFC.

In order to try and facilitate that then part of our role as moderators is editorial, sorting the wheat from the chaff. It is the reason that threads get locked or merged.

I think for a while, and for a number of reasons, we have neglected that editorial role.  For which we should apologise, particularly to all those writers who have written great stuff that has been swamped in the sea of shite. We are trying to sort it out though, we've brought in Royhendo as a new editor and we're actively trying to revitalise the new footy writing on the site.

So. How would you do that? What are your bugbears with our moderation? How can we ensure that the cream floats to the top? What are we doing now that is stopping that happening. Fire away. 

genius move getting in the big man.

on a personal level i find getting involved in the endless cycles of the player threads - 'he's shit' 'no he's not' 'you only like leiva' - pointless in that you only get dragged into other people's conflict.  there can be fun in this if you like being a smart arse but even that gets lost in the crossfire.

is it a case of the asterisk coming back on certain threads or is it a case of really ruthless weeding of persistent planks?  i'm not into censorship on a general level but low level posters coming on and 'shooting from the hip' perhaps need to have access restricted until they prove they merit an audience and an opinion.

time for bed but an excellent idea for a thread kev.  will have a mull and try to come back tomorrow with some more concise thoughts.

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #428 on: May 8, 2012, 10:30:15 pm »
Dont know why RAWK insits on having all these football forums amongst the quality forums covering, News, Art , Music and general bollocks etc, they're distracting....and quite, quite depressing!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #429 on: May 8, 2012, 10:34:23 pm »
Can we dispense with the depressingly-predictable and utterly non-hilarious 'parody' of various songs in response to the thread title please?

If you have something useful to contribute, feel free. If all you have is an attempt at being funny, plenty of threads in The Boozer. Ta!

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #430 on: May 8, 2012, 11:56:32 pm »
OK folks I am going to attempt to summarise things that have been asked for by quite a few, with tentative solutions suggested for discussion.  I'm not suggesting that these solutions will necessarily happen, just want your thoughts on whether they address the problems raised or whether they might cause other issues I've not thought of:

Techie:
1. Hide post counts from other users
2. Ability to like (but not dislike) a post, perhaps only a thread starting post.  This would not have any lasting rep or other ranking but would be a way thanking or agreeing with the poster that does not require a big quote and a "This".  Perhaps hitting "Like" would also bump the thread.
3. Posting quotas for the main board

Moderation:
1. You hate the post match threads but want somewhere to vent.  You also think they are modded unfairly.  From our point of view they are nigh on impossible to mod, fairly or otherwise.  Is there a case to leave the post match threads unmoderated and let them run until the Round Table is up but then delete them?  This would give us more time to moderate the other threads but would the squabbling spill over?
2. You really dislike the arbitrary locking of threads and the insistence on using the existing unwieldy player threads.  Yet on the other hand we don't want to have to moderate the same arguments in two concurrent threads.  Is the answer perhaps to show more leeway to let new threads based on new media stories or a new considered OPs run with the old thread being the one that eventually gets locked?

Editorial:
1. You like the Round Tables, we'll try and improve those for next year. 
2. Following on from that and recognising that the pre-match thread is generally two days of pointless team lineups followed by 90 minutes of bad tempered ranting once the actual team is announced, perhaps we can do something similar with a more considered Match Preview thread which is started by scribes but then thrown open for general discussion on the day of the game.
3. The RAWK Debates.  Great idea
4. More structure to the historical threads

Thoughts on that?  Thoughts on what I have missed?
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: May 9, 2012, 12:17:57 am »
I wouldn't really want to see concurrent thread's VdM. However good the intention, if a thread runs about a player which involves disagreements, then a positive press article appears in a separate thread its unlikely that thread will stay positive. You'll have 2 threads covering the same debates.

It also irks me that LFCTV starts a thread every week about a show, why don't they use a single thread to alert us about whats up & coming.

I like the post match thread because you can genuinely learn from it if you pick out certain bits. Its not just about stating an opinion in one sentence but its picking up other messages from one sentence which may affirm or contradict your own thoughts and should make people think  a little bit.

I'm only making these points because you're asking, I love the place and can obviously easily navigate myself around and ignore who and what I don't like which is quite rare anyway.

Moderating the site is akin to health & safety legislation. Its a necessity and if we start asking for a dilution of standards everywhere will end up fuck up.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2012, 12:19:37 am by John C »

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #432 on: May 9, 2012, 12:32:22 am »
Any chance you could make youtube embedding less of a ballache while you're renovating?
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: May 9, 2012, 12:34:36 am »
Any chance you could make youtube embedding less of a ballache while you're renovating?

It's a doddle.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/000000000000?fs=1[/flash]

Replace the zeros with the video's code, Copy and Paste. Size is also variable.

87:13

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #434 on: May 9, 2012, 12:37:54 am »
John, not really suggesting have the same threads running concurrently but if the new post is sufficiently interesting then perhaps that should be allowed to run, if the debate becomes the same on both then the old entrenched thread gets locked.

Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Volante

• Kopite
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #435 on: May 9, 2012, 12:40:19 am »
John, not really suggesting have the same threads running concurrently but if the new post is sufficiently interesting then perhaps that should be allowed to run, if the debate becomes the same on both then the old entrenched thread gets locked.

The post-match threads are a cesspool when we lose, they're impossible to moderate.  IMO, it's best to just let the inmates spin their wheels in there and if it leaches out into other threads than delete/lock/ban/etc.   

Offline Yabazza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #436 on: May 9, 2012, 02:58:30 am »
I love this site.  I do.  I've been a Liverpool fan since I was a lad but it's only since I joined RAWK that I've truly become a supporter.  Writing from the likes of Kris Walsh, Royhendo and Hinesy kept me coming back; campaigns against Cohen, H&G and the continuing, tireless campaign to educate people about Hillsborough are what make me proud to be a Red and part of the RAWK community.
May contain irony.

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #437 on: May 9, 2012, 04:02:23 am »
The post-match threads are a cesspool when we lose, they're impossible to moderate.  IMO, it's best to just let the inmates spin their wheels in there and if it leaches out into other threads than delete/lock/ban/etc.   

Like (???)

Seriously though, I do think the post match threads should be loosely moderated and most of the comments there should be taken with a pinch of salt.  If it really spills over, by all mean, give the silly people a 2 week time out or so.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #438 on: May 9, 2012, 04:05:59 am »

Good summary. I'd add more even-handed moderation to that list.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

« Reply #439 on: May 9, 2012, 04:08:20 am »
How about a thread were people can just basically talk about whatever they want and the topic of discussion changes.

Might be fun!