21 (6.5%)
Labour
70 (21.8%)
GP
11 (3.4%)
Ind/Others
77 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 321

Author Topic: The Irish Politics Thread.  (Read 461104 times)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Re: The Irish Politics Thread.
« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2010, 07:20:00 pm »
Well for a start the Minister should pick up the phone and call Michael O' Leary (yes a complete c*nt) and save 300 jobs in SR Tech.
wouldnt be a bad move, i think o'leary said there will be another plant needed somewhere else in europe too.. should try to get that asap too..

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2010, 07:26:22 pm »
wouldnt be a bad move, i think o'leary said there will be another plant needed somewhere else in europe too.. should try to get that asap too..

Yes i hate the bastard and his Political views but right now it is about getting the economy moving and creating jobs but the unions and government have to be right in their to make sure people are not shafted like the situation we have now.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2010, 07:33:59 pm »
Their is the major factor in our voting public. On average 58% of the voting public vote and the vast majority who do not vote come from lower income families. If an additional 20% voted i think Ireland would see a very different Political landscape.

Very perspicacious. I believe that we won't see a significant change in Irish politics until one of the parties makes a serious effort to get disenfranchised voters to register and vote along the lines of the campaigns to get black people to vote in the US in the 60s. We have a PR system, so a relatively small proportion of these people voting (say 10%) would make a very big difference and more importantly, would shake the complacency of the existing parties.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2010, 07:40:47 pm »
There are quite a few people on here, who are much more qualified or in the know.

but what do you suggest would be a few simple and measured recovery tactics that could be employed?

id love some investment in entrepreneurs, but maybe they think we are too skint to try.
i also think that we should try to unravel the visa restrictions a bit, and make our country more available to tourists.. (ive documented that above somewhat)

I would like to see €12 billion less given to the banks (Anglo should be allowed to fail imo) and AIB and BOI split into banks half their size.

I would spend this money on two Science Parks that would focus exclusively on high-tech, high value R&D in Medical and Computer Science and set up hundreds of micro-companies to pursue innovations.  At least we would be getting something for the money instead of giving to wankers like Fitzpatrick to keep them on Shrewsbury Rd

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2010, 07:43:12 pm »
Yes i hate the bastard and his Political views but right now it is about getting the economy moving and creating jobs but the unions and government have to be right in their to make sure people are not shafted like the situation we have now.

Is right. How dare that gobshite Coughlan refuse to meet anyone who might create jobs.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #285 on: February 15, 2010, 07:52:35 pm »
Done!! ;D But at present i am to young to run for President. But you never know i might be up a poll sooner than you think.

Sarge as President: -

Vive El Presidente!

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #286 on: February 15, 2010, 08:01:32 pm »
Very perspicacious. I believe that we won't see a significant change in Irish politics until one of the parties makes a serious effort to get disenfranchised voters to register and vote along the lines of the campaigns to get black people to vote in the US in the 60s. We have a PR system, so a relatively small proportion of these people voting (say 10%) would make a very big difference and more importantly, would shake the complacency of the existing parties.

Yes got to agree with most of this and i think that schools should teach politics.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #287 on: February 15, 2010, 08:07:04 pm »
I would like to see €12 billion less given to the banks (Anglo should be allowed to fail imo) and AIB and BOI split into banks half their size.

I would spend this money on two Science Parks that would focus exclusively on high-tech, high value R&D in Medical and Computer Science and set up hundreds of micro-companies to pursue innovations.  At least we would be getting something for the money instead of giving to wankers like Fitzpatrick to keep them on Shrewsbury Rd

Yes along these lines are spot on.

Sarge as President: -

Vive El Presidente!

;D Not just yet mate. I'm enjoying a good honest debate/discussion in here with no shit flinging.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #288 on: February 15, 2010, 08:08:03 pm »
Is right. How dare that gobshite Coughlan refuse to meet anyone who might create jobs.

She is a complete fucking tit and is not to popular in FF circles either.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #289 on: February 15, 2010, 08:14:56 pm »
She is a complete fucking tit and is not to popular in FF circles either.

My theory is that they hang on to her because she manages to make even Cowan look good (next to her)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #290 on: February 15, 2010, 08:18:14 pm »
Yes got to agree with most of this and i think that schools should teach politics.
good shout... never thought of that..

id like to make a difference with my vote, but i dont know if anyone in the political arena can inspire confidence in me that they can make a difference, and make some really good choices...

i think the politicians live in their own wee world full of expense free living, and ass lickers left right and center..
id love someone to come in and shake that house up, kick a lot of the dead wood out and bring in some innovators, experienced business people and economists and make something out of this country.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #291 on: February 15, 2010, 08:20:50 pm »
The thing is that people will not vote and weather they like it or not politics is what shapes their life.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #292 on: February 15, 2010, 08:33:07 pm »
The thing is that people will not vote and weather they like it or not politics is what shapes their life.
lets put it another way..  hypothetically of course, but a disturbing comparrison no less.

say when Terry and Drogba, Rooney and Ronaldo are all retired..
they all want to run for the position of "head of the FA", who would you vote for?

probably would choose not to vote if it were only those 4 candidates.
but if Rafa or some intelligent folk who has shows the ability, direction and charisma to lead, not to mention make the tough decisions and be brave.. then im sure you would put a tick beside his name...

this is where i feel i am.. perhaps im quite niave with regards politicians too, i dont know about them enough, and this is where the educated in school suggestion you made would go a long way to creating a culture of people who understand the creepy world where our politicians reside.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #293 on: February 15, 2010, 08:47:46 pm »
No matter what they will be their so pick the one who suites your needs best.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #294 on: February 15, 2010, 08:52:18 pm »
No matter what they will be their so pick the one who suites your needs best.
that be u sir, when you runnin again? ;D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #295 on: February 15, 2010, 08:58:30 pm »
that be u sir, when you runnin again? ;D

We will wait and see mate.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: February 15, 2010, 09:49:15 pm »
how to save the country money

stop paying the catholic chuches abuse claims
lower the minimum wage
cut the dole by half
STFU and agree with me.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #297 on: February 15, 2010, 09:59:36 pm »

lower the minimum wage
cut the dole by half
yep...

also need to generate money too and revive the economy.
I'd favour making it easier for holiday makers to travel here.
Provide supports for Entrepreneurs.
Force bank of Ireland to give College Green to the nation, then make something fantastic out of it to attract people to visit, something tourists would love to visit.
We need to make busineses more competitive, we are losing tonnes of money from people shopping abroad online, heading up north and so on...

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #298 on: February 15, 2010, 11:00:05 pm »

lower the minimum wage
cut the dole by half

Main debate on the Frontline tonight was on the dole and people abusing it.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: February 16, 2010, 09:11:31 am »
No where really to put this, so without starting another thread I thought I would place it in here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8516481.stm

This rant, sums up my feelings nicely.

25 million to be spent on an almost extinct and utterly pointless version of the British Isles Gaelic language family and on an even more ridiculous local dialect? That's what we get from the people we have voted for, that's why we pay these pompous self serving pathetic f**kfaces at Stormont. Never mind the fact we are losing jobs faster than I'm pulling out my hair right now, we are giving 20 million to promote the Irish Gaelic language and 5 million to promote what's basically the Ballymena accent!!!! And am I annoyed? Yes I am!
One set of di**heads demand funding for the 'Irish' language for whatever backward thinking introverted reasons then another set of di**heads say well if you're getting that we want it too. f**k off you c**ts, that's not what we want. How is people talking (really badly) in a language no one uses going to help bring the country forward? And who the f**k will they talk to? No one I have ever met has spoken Irish Gaelic fluently as a first language. National debt is at it's highest ever and we're spending our money on trying to get people to talk a language that no one even gives a f**k about, no one wants to know and no c**t needs. The only job you can get by being able to speak 'the Irish language' is teaching people to speak it, the only ads for jobs I have seen for that are in a bunscoil, those ads you see once in a blue moon on the Tele's jobs section. But what are the economic benefits of teaching someone a language they wont use unless they want to be a teacher in a bunscoil? I've seen plenty of ads for French speakers, Spanish speakers, German speakers and if you learned those languages your horizons would be much brighter but our politicians want to waste our money on playground politics, I'll swap you two conkers for that marley. But they arn't using their own conkers or marleys, they're using mine and yours so it doesn't really affect them, all the time ignoring and neglecting the fact that the rest of the lads just need a new football!!!
Nelson McCausland says on the TV tonight that 5 million pounds being spent on Ulster-Scots is a great thing for unionists, no it's not you f**king moron, it's a f**king disgrace when people in North Belfast where he is supposed to represent are crying out for jobs. It's the greatest recession in my lifetime I'm unemployed, I need work, I'll shovel sh*t for minimum wage but my political representative is offering me Ballymena accent lessons instead. Well done mate.

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: February 16, 2010, 09:17:02 am »
No where really to put this, so without starting another thread I thought I would place it in here.

Culture, history, maintaining a connection with our ancestors and our past and what they stood for is the reason for spending money on these projects in order that they are not swallowed up and forgotten in the Western, English culture of our day.

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: February 16, 2010, 09:21:02 am »

To say that Ulster Scots is basically the Ballymena accent is somewhat arrogant and demeaning.

Firstly if it is the Ballymena accent what is wrong with that?

Secondly the writer clearly demonstartes his complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the history/culture/geography of the ancient Kingdom of Dalriada by making such a juvenile suggestion.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: February 16, 2010, 09:28:10 am »
it's still a waste of £25m regardless

if the Ulster Scots are so adamant to keep their awful language going then they should raise their kids to speak it, speak it in the local community like they would do in a Gaeltacht area

the fact is that they don't, they'd rather use our taxes so they don't have to be arsed

ps i'm aware gaeltacht areas get funding
STFU and agree with me.

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: February 16, 2010, 09:49:24 am »
It just sums up the backwards nature of this place that something like this would take priority. Its a political stunt in order to win green and orange votes in the sectarian mindfield on NI politics.

Although will the hard questions be asked?

I mean do these self serving f*ckers at Stormont ever think of real politics and real issues or are these irrlevant?

Boysadear, B'Jaysus hey. Yiz are aal a buncha whinin' hoors. Thon money'll day wonders fe sh*te taakin up 'n' doon the country. It's a quare day fe sh*te taakin' so it tis hey.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #304 on: February 16, 2010, 09:58:42 am »
Thats a horrible post chap114. And isn't for this thread ta all. Seems more like a bitter loyalist comment. Sure the Brits got their way stretching back to Cromwell desimating the native language, the language that the rightful owners spoke for a long long time. So your rant is all about letting it die? You have more sense than that surely. 

Sure it's a recession, but that shouldn't be an excuse to abandon culture, heritage and shouldn't be a means to allow a language die because it's better to push every penny into the economic kitty.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #305 on: February 16, 2010, 10:03:36 am »
One good point you make chap is that it shouldn't b two parties squablin for their share. People should be treated equally. I know, not as easy to implement. But I think the point of saying the Irish language is a waste of space is way off and insulting to be honest

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: February 16, 2010, 10:05:47 am »
Thats a horrible post chap114. And isn't for this thread ta all. Seems more like a bitter loyalist comment. Sure the Brits got their way stretching back to Cromwell desimating the native language, the language that the rightful owners spoke for a long long time. So your rant is all about letting it die? You have more sense than that surely. 

Sure it's a recession, but that shouldn't be an excuse to abandon culture, heritage and shouldn't be a means to allow a language die because it's better to push every penny into the economic kitty.
Bitter loyalist comment?
Not at all.  The fact that the sums of monies involved are going to either section is disgusting me.
Don't get me confused here at all, the only reason the DUP have asked for any cash for Ulster Scots is a pure and simple case of 'themmuns got some, so we want some'.

It's bad enough when unionism comes under concerted attack from other quarters, but when it's own alleged leaders reduce the aims of an ideal as complex and multi-faceted as it is down to throwing money at the Ulster Scots dialect, you know it's time for a change of the guard.

And just to reiterate the point, its £25,000,000 here we are talking about, at a time when they've closed a ward in the dementia unit at Holywell hospital due to lack of funds.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: February 16, 2010, 10:36:37 am »
It just sums up the backwards nature of this place that something like this would take priority. Its a political stunt in order to win green and orange votes in the sectarian mindfield on NI politics.

I mean do these self serving f*ckers at Stormont ever think of real politics and real issues or are these irrlevant?

Boysadear, B'Jaysus hey. Yiz are aal a buncha whinin' hoors. Thon money'll day wonders fe sh*te taakin up 'n' doon the country. It's a quare day fe sh*te taakin' so it tis hey.
Your attitude stinks but you make a good point about priorities and where money should go.

I would say that to neglect the culture of a nation is to neglect its soul and its very essence. I think it is sad that you have such a low view of the Irish Gaelic language and its importance. And your mocking of Ballymena people is disgusting and is representative of the small minded idiots in our country that you claim to disagree with.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: February 16, 2010, 10:37:33 am »
One good point you make chap is that it shouldn't b two parties squablin for their share. People should be treated equally. I know, not as easy to implement. But I think the point of saying the Irish language is a waste of space is way off and insulting to be honest
I don't speak Gaelic and I find that insulting too!

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: February 16, 2010, 10:38:43 am »

I agree these issues have been hijacked by politicians. But these matters are important to people on the street which is why politicians use them for political ends as they know people care about their culture.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #310 on: February 16, 2010, 10:40:13 am »
I don't speak Gaelic and I find that insulting too!
how so?

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: February 16, 2010, 10:46:01 am »
how so?
I'm from the Protestant community whatever you want to call it and so was never brought up to speak it.

However I am a strong believer in the Celtic history and culture of the British Isles & Ireland and all that entails including the Gaelic languages of Scotland/Ireland/IoM/Cornwall etc.

So whilst I don't speak it it is still part of my history and culture etc and for him to mock both it and the Ulster-Scots community I find representative of some of the small mindedness in NI/Ireland

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: February 16, 2010, 10:46:25 am »
how so?
I have good friends who speak the language as well.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: February 16, 2010, 10:50:23 am »
Latin hasn't been spoken for hundreds of years, it's not a forgotten language, it's just not spoken, it's still there in history where it belongs.

Irish, Ulster Scots, Welsh etc should all be left to the same fate, they won't die, they'll just be put in history books where they belong.

They certainly shouldn't be getting £25m of tax payers money to help them out when that money is needed for real causes.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #314 on: February 16, 2010, 10:56:06 am »
Ahh ok weebrolan, I misunderstood the comment first time. Get ya now.

Your quite right tho. I hate to see people not get along, sure I don't like the fact that all of Ireland doesn't speak Gaelic as a first language and that the nation is split in 2. But no matter what belief people have, I'd ideally like to see everyone able to get along, and politicians looking to help everyone.
Ofcourse, it's a lot better now than it has been.   

But I think these last few comments should be in another thread, best gettin this one back to thinkin how to make an economic recovery

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: February 16, 2010, 10:57:21 am »
Latin hasn't been spoken for hundreds of years, it's not a forgotten language, it's just not spoken, it's still there in history where it belongs.

Irish, Ulster Scots, Welsh etc should all be left to the same fate, they won't die, they'll just be put in history books where they belong.

They certainly shouldn't be getting £25m of tax payers money to help them out when that money is needed for real causes.
I think you have a good point there but there should certainly be money left aside to ensure that a culture is not lost forever.

Its easy for me to think we should spend money on these cultural things when I don't even live in NI anymore so maybe I should shut up now :)

I agree though that our politicians are tits and waste public money when it could be used more profitably elsewhere.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: February 16, 2010, 10:59:04 am »
Ahh ok weebrolan, I misunderstood the comment first time. Get ya now.

Your quite right tho. I hate to see people not get along, sure I don't like the fact that all of Ireland doesn't speak Gaelic as a first language and that the nation is split in 2. But no matter what belief people have, I'd ideally like to see everyone able to get along, and politicians looking to help everyone.
Ofcourse, it's a lot better now than it has been.   

But I think these last few comments should be in another thread, best gettin this one back to thinkin how to make an economic recovery
Good idea I'm done now.

I would say I have learnt a lot from this thread about southern politics because even my Catholic friends from NI haven't been able to teach me much

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: February 16, 2010, 11:00:36 am »
weebroalan

First of all.  Catch yourself on with regards to the Ballymena accent jibe. 

As far being small minded, the fact that you seem to think that these matters are important to people
on the street which is why politicians use them for political ends as they know people care about
their culture.  Yes they are important to some people, but the people I would imagine they are important to are the exact ones that I would hope/wish politics would move away from, the old orange/green strongholds.

To the majority of sane minded people, issues of health care cuts, schools, jobs would I imagine be higher up the priority list.

I have no 'beef' with people speaking/talking/learning/teaching Gaelic/Ulster Scots whatsover, however when the 'leaders' of our country find time to make this an issue and demand, such high sums of money when it could be put to much better use, that is what disguists me.

How they can justify this at this moment is beyond me.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #318 on: February 16, 2010, 11:03:02 am »
re: Latin... That's funny, I thought my parents learned it in school, priests spoke it at mass until a couple of decades ago and medical students learned the language too.  Perhaps I'm wrong and Latin hasn't been spoken for 100's of years.

There are some universities in china that are now teaching Gaelic as a foreign language from next year, the eu has accepted Irish as a member language and in the republic we want to see it revived and thought better in schools.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:09:25 am by conman »

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: February 16, 2010, 11:08:17 am »
weebroalan

First of all.  Catch yourself on with regards to the Ballymena accent jibe. 

As far being small minded, the fact that you seem to think that these matters are important to people
on the street which is why politicians use them for political ends as they know people care about
their culture.  Yes they are important to some people, but the people I would imagine they are important to are the exact ones that I would hope/wish politics would move away from, the old orange/green strongholds.

To the majority of sane minded people, issues of health care cuts, schools, jobs would I imagine be higher up the priority list.

I have no 'beef' with people speaking/talking/learning/teaching Gaelic/Ulster Scots whatsover, however when the 'leaders' of our country find time to make this an issue and demand, such high sums of money when it could be put to much better use, that is what disguists me.

How they can justify this at this moment is beyond me.
I know lost of Catholics who are passionated about the Irish language and are far from being politically bigoted or sectarian. They are normal run of the mill people who just love their history and culture and hate the way it has been hijacked by sectarian politicians.

Ok I agree the politicians do need to prioritise but that is the same in every country.