Author Topic: CLF: Liverpool FC 0 vs 1 Real Madrid C.F. Vini jr ‘58  (Read 73633 times)

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CLF: Liverpool FC 0 vs 1 Real Madrid C.F. Vini jr ‘58
« Reply #1080 on: May 29, 2022, 01:35:43 am »
I am so bummed, it was not meant to be and to top  it off, we got teargased on the way out of the stadium for no other reason than the French police being c*nts.

Meanwhile they're letting local gangs inside and they're carrying weapons, some of them hit a poor lad on the head and he fell flat and didn't get up, I'm really worried if he'll make it.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1081 on: May 29, 2022, 01:39:44 am »
I am so bummed, it was not meant to be and to top  it off, we got teargased on the way out of the stadium for no other reason than the French police being c*nts.

Meanwhile they're letting local gangs inside and they're carrying weapons, some of them hit a poor lad on the head and he fell flat and didn't get up, I'm really worried if he'll make it.

What the fuck, it's still going? Heads have to roll, this is disgusting dereliction of responsibility.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1082 on: May 29, 2022, 01:41:57 am »
What the fuck, it's still going? Heads have to roll, this is disgusting dereliction of responsibility.
I wrote that ages ago, but it seems my internet was slow so it loaded now. It was horrible outside though!
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #1083 on: May 29, 2022, 01:54:50 am »
It would have been better if Villa had crumbled 5-0 and a much better side than Madrid had beaten us by more conventionally attractive football, outplaying us.
If it's one thing I'm 'thankful' for, is that it wasn't City turning it on against us this evening.

It just happens. Football is mad like that. On paper Belgium looked loaded with talent going into the last world cup, and came out with nothing. City before us was miles ahead of Madrid on paper talent-wise. Came away with nothing.

I dunno. It just happens. I think a few (more) days off the telly and media blackout for me, is the way to go for now.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1084 on: May 29, 2022, 01:55:31 am »
Still can’t believe that Real Madrid side fluked a CL win. Such an average side.
I was deeply unimpressed by Madrid. I thought they were resilient, but otherwise poor. Their 'keeper won them the game.

Personally, I was like a popped balloon before kick-off. All my enthusiasm and intensity had gone after the shambles outside and the stories filtering through. Maybe it was bad memories flooding back, I don't know really. It just deflated me.

The game itself? We were the better side throughout, although I felt something just wasn't quite right. I felt the intensity wasn't quite there. I'm not sure if that's accurate, or whether it was just my own deflated mood clouding my perception?

I suppose they deserved the win because they took their chance when it came. We simply didn't take ours, and I got the feeling we could play all night and not score.

Such is football. Such is life.

I think the players will be kicking themselves tomorrow but, sometimes, things just don't go your way. We are miles better than Madrid. The over confidence so many of us had pre game did grate on me though. I remember Wimbledon in '88, so I hate predictions of easy, high scoring hammerings. The funny thing is, we'll probably get to another CL final quite soon, against a side we are not expected to beat, and we'll bag no7. We just don't do easy.

Anyway. That's that. It's done.

Onwards and upwards...

We have more trophies on the shelf than any club in the premier league this season. One more than the sportswash and two more than everyone else. We have the best manager in world football and an amazing team. I'd say we'll be back, but we've not really gone away. 

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1085 on: May 29, 2022, 02:11:53 am »
The narrative Madrid where poor is astounding, they went there to soak up pressure, counter attack and control the important spaces - they did that perfectly.

We had two decent shots, but any decent keeper would be expected to save them. The rest of our shots and possession was just fluff. Dominating possession doesn’t win games. If it did, city would have even in the final. We had no answer to madrids low block, and we would have been fuming if their first goal didn’t stand as well. To play a good football game doesn’t mean you have to attack or look attacking.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1086 on: May 29, 2022, 02:13:05 am »
The narrative Madrid where poor is astounding, they went there to soak up pressure, counter attack and control the important spaces.

We had two decent shots, but any decent keeper would be expected to save them. The rest of our shots and possession was just fluff. Dominating possession doesn’t win games. If it did, city would have even in the final. We had no answer to madrids low block, and we would have been fuming if their first goal didn’t stand as well.
They were Burnley in white.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rhysd

• Kopite
  • Igor
« Reply #1087 on: May 29, 2022, 02:14:55 am »
He’s fucking shite.

Can this WUM be dealt with?

He's clearly only here to wind people up.
20 and 7

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: May 29, 2022, 02:15:01 am »
they where, like I said to my mate , it was like a world class stoke. But they went out there and completed their game plan perfectly. We had no answer. So who played better? The team that went out and did what was needed, or the team that couldn’t answer to those tactics?
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Online buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1089 on: May 29, 2022, 02:17:02 am »
Hard to read too much in to everything as sounds like the guys in Paris have had an horrendous time as well. Feels bitter losing a final and then rival fans rightly taking the piss out of our season. I couldn’t be more proud of what we have achieved though.

For me, we needed to score early. Madrid grew in to the game and what we were doing was not working against the low block. We restricted them to chances, but they took both their chances really well (thought we got a tad lucky with their offside). Madrid defended really well and ultimately we ran out of steam. I guess what is a tad worrying is in the finals as good as we have played, I think we are fairly easy to defend against. I’m not sure if the solution to that is to play with 4 attackers or just accept it. Thought Diaz was easily bullied. Hard to be too critical as we didn’t play badly, but imo to play in 3 finals and not score a goal should give the coaching staff food for thought in these big one off games.

Feels awful as this is the last game we remember now but I’m glad of the break from football. We go again next season and we use the hurt from this last week to win.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1090 on: May 29, 2022, 02:24:07 am »
I take total responsibility.

In doing so I saw...

This is revenge doubled. The most secure unit of our team is our recently renewed manager who continues to renew everything he touches

It's a roller-coaster this club. I put myself out there tonight. Got to speak to people. Dismay, but eyyy

So we go again

Tomorrow our parade will be DEFIANT

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1091 on: May 29, 2022, 02:25:17 am »
Still incredibly proud of the manager, staff and players. We've had an amazing journey this season, won two trophies, had some great performances and always been in the thick of it. I don't think you can ask for much more. We absolutely need to be more clinical in parts, and perhaps there could be a bit of refurbishment to go on within the squad, but we need a good break now mentally and physically. The players have been here before and came back stronger, so this will hurt but it shouldn't linger. Use the pain to come back next season with more belief, more experience and maybe a couple of new faces with different approaches to certain games.

I'll be glad of the break, but also I'll be counting down the days until we kick off the season again. It'll come around quicker than you think.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1092 on: May 29, 2022, 02:28:36 am »
they where, like I said to my mate , it was like a world class stoke. But they went out there and completed their game plan perfectly. We had no answer. So who played better? The team that went out and did what was needed, or the team that couldn’t answer to those tactics?
I don't think either side played particularly well. They just got the breaks, and we didn't.

We play these 'park the bus and hit on the break' sides all the time in the league. Most of the time we prevail. Now and again we don't.

Their 'keeper kept them in it. On another night he concedes. On another night Mane's shot goes in off the the post rather than out. The margins were that fine tonight. They just fell the right way for Madrid.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 02:30:09 am by Son of Spion »

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #1093 on: May 29, 2022, 02:31:25 am »

Burnley but with more one-on-one, individual talent.  I don't think anyone can seriously make an argument that they're a better team than us.  They had a better game today and that's what matters sadly. 

But holy hell...   they surely can't play like that all the time can they?  That had to have been a specific tactic when facing a superior side. 

Can you imagine having to watch them week in and week out if they played like that all the time?  They played so slowly and with so little flair that I think they put our guys to sleep and we just sunk to their level. 

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #1094 on: May 29, 2022, 02:32:31 am »
We didn't lose it. They won it. They were the better team and we can have no complaints. Courtois is a gobshite, but a fantastic gobshite.
I should be gutted but I'm not. I think back to the stress and the cost of getting to Wembley the other week, and I'm proud to have seen this side win a trophy this season and nothing will ever take that away. A once in a lifetime for me, something that's a given for others.
Cannot wait for next season to start. What a time to be a red.

Totally sums up my feelings.

It is very much like how I felt, for example, when Forest KO'd us in 1979. Like, ah well, fair do's, we'll be back next year or the year after.

Well done Madrid, you won a fair and square final.  Well done to our boys for collecting two trophies this year.  Onwards and upwards next year.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1095 on: May 29, 2022, 02:34:38 am »

You know what this could have been alot worse if it was against an English team. At least the team who won knocked out all the fake cheating clubs. Yes it sucks to lose but under Klopp we learn from defeats and come back stronger.

Also saying Burnley and stuff like this is just disrespect to Ancelotti. He knew we are a better team, his midfield can't press and his defence is average so he had to try to play with a plan that give him the best chance to win. Nothing wrong with admitting his plan worked and we lacked creativity with our tactics and some luck.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1096 on: May 29, 2022, 02:46:10 am »
Very upset and troubled to be hearing all these stories about what happened outside the ground to our supporters and the shoddy organisation.

Interview with Robbo on the Beeb: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61621930
Champions League final: Liverpool's Andy Robertson calls organisation 'shambles'

Glad Robbo is speaking up.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1097 on: May 29, 2022, 03:13:59 am »
For me that is the worst final defeat of the lot. In 18 it felt like the start and Madrid were the superior side. This time its the opposite and to have lost that is really, really disappointing.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #1098 on: May 29, 2022, 03:15:51 am »
For me that is the worst final defeat of the lot. In 18 it felt like the start and Madrid were the superior side. This time its the opposite and to have lost that is really, really disappointing.

Same here.
Feels like the end of something.

Hope I am wrong and we go again next season.
But to come so close to both the PL and CL and then lose out in such a fashion is gutting.

"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1099 on: May 29, 2022, 03:19:00 am »
Same here.

But to come so close to both the PL and CL and then lose out in such a fashion is gutting.

I also have this weird gut feeling. Also hope I am wrong, just felt different. Maybe its just the disappointment talking, dont know

Just gutted we were in for the quad and didnt manage to get either of the big two.

I knew we needed more than 1 goal to win this as you always knew Madrid had 1 goal in them, but man that stings. Just once chance and they score, sucker puch. Dejected, distraught.

Also think its in combination with how the fans were treated, some of the disgusting things that have been said, put in the media, UEFA. Just disgusting on top of this loss.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1100 on: May 29, 2022, 03:20:30 am »
Same here.

Im not sure its the end of anything, we have an amazing squad. More so that we are the better side and we should have won that game.

Offline Onward Liverpudlian

• Kopite
« Reply #1101 on: May 29, 2022, 03:22:40 am »

It does feel the worst. It seems like we can get to these finals easily enough (compared to most) thanks to Anfield and Klopp but we are on a disappointing run - lost 3 of our last four CL finals. I remember the old days when it was the other way round.

Anyway, roll on next season...

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1102 on: May 29, 2022, 03:22:46 am »
People are forgetting that they jammed the goal. It was a shot that turned into a pinpoint pass. They'd one shot on target whole game. Its a harsh as fuck result.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1103 on: May 29, 2022, 03:29:18 am »
Very upset and troubled to be hearing all these stories about what happened outside the ground to our supporters and the shoddy organisation.

Interview with Robbo on the Beeb: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61621930
Champions League final: Liverpool's Andy Robertson calls organisation 'shambles'

Glad Robbo is speaking up.

Sky news chief explains what happened from his POV...

'[SkySports Video] Sky Sports News chief reporter explains issues outside the Stade de France' - a 4 minute video:-

https://v.redd.it/mjkgucdwjb291 or https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1530661454889746434

^ the video was made whilst the game was going on - so doesn't include the post-match tear gassing, pepper spraying, or baton charges etc, at the stadium or the fan park.

More here: www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=352599.msg18360478#msg18360478

& www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.msg18358990#msg18358990 & www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.msg18361275#msg18361275
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1104 on: May 29, 2022, 03:40:49 am »
7 straight final wins is staggering. Players like Kroos, Modric, Benzema have won 5.

Honestly hope we avoid them next season. Would feel much more confident against the likes of City, Chelsea etc.
It's 8 in a row.

98, 00, 02, 14, 16, 17, 18, 22.

Seems their name was on the Cup, knocking out 3 sportswash teams in a row on the brink of elimination and scoring from their only solitary chance in the final.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1105 on: May 29, 2022, 03:41:09 am »
I’ve been watching football 30+ years and I think that’s the best goalkeeping performance I’ve ever seen. Every kind of save and absolutely no mistakes.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1106 on: May 29, 2022, 03:49:06 am »

Sky news chief explains what happened from his POV...

'[SkySports Video] Sky Sports News chief reporter explains issues outside the Stade de France' - a 4 minute video:-

https://v.redd.it/mjkgucdwjb291 or https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1530661454889746434

^ the video was made whilst the game was going on - so doesn't include the post-match tear gassing, pepper spraying, or baton charges etc, at the stadium or the fan park.

More here: www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=352599.msg18360478#msg18360478

& www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.msg18358990#msg18358990 & www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.msg18361275#msg18361275

Thankful I didn’t get a ticket. Sounds like a truly awful experience and that Liverpool supporters were being treated differently to Madrid supporters. All makes me very uneasy and brings back bad memories
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 03:50:53 am by Keith Lard »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: May 29, 2022, 03:54:32 am »
So I lost my stream a few minutes before their goal, and just couldn't get keep my eyes open, it was like almost 7am, then the notification of their goal came and I just ended up packing it in. Obviously disappointing to lose, particularly to that lot, but what can you do. I'll be down about that for a bit but we move on.

However.

My anger over what went on pre-game, and what those fucking c*nts at UEFA have tried to do during, and after... I am still absolutely furious. The absolute shitshow with the stewarding, and the locked gates, the police response, that's all 1 rephrensible part. But to then have the sheer audacity to lie about it and blame the fans on the PA, and brief their people in the media about the narrative they want to set... it's all so familiar and disgusting. It is 2022 you c*nts, everyone has phones. There's people dispelling their lies almost immediately with video evidence to back it up. Regular fans, family members of players, pundits and journos all able to point out their lies.

And yet. People are going to believe them. Believe in the narrative about the Liverpool fans. Typical that. Always them. Won't matter that there's evidence in front of their eyes proving how bad things were, how incompetent officials were. Enough people will believe in UEFAs lies, because they want to. Because they've heard it all before, must be true they've done it again. Disgrace.

I am so fucking filthy on this and I expect and demand the club not let this go. The players and the coaching staff can lick their wounds, now it's time for the men and women in suits behind the scenes to go to work.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #1108 on: May 29, 2022, 04:00:09 am »
You know what this could have been alot worse if it was against an English team.
Is how I see it, maybe it's trying to find some comfort in all the disappointment, but can you imagine Walker and Sterling walking around grinning with Guardiola? *shudder*

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1109 on: May 29, 2022, 04:10:15 am »
A great few days ends on a very sour note both on and off the pitch. I guess I should be grateful for not being one of those that got tear gassed. Can't wait to get home now.

Fuck you UEFA.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #1110 on: May 29, 2022, 04:25:01 am »
The narrative Madrid where poor is astounding, they went there to soak up pressure, counter attack and control the important spaces - they did that perfectly.

We had two decent shots, but any decent keeper would be expected to save them. The rest of our shots and possession was just fluff. Dominating possession doesn’t win games. If it did, city would have even in the final. We had no answer to madrids low block, and we would have been fuming if their first goal didn’t stand as well. To play a good football game doesn’t mean you have to attack or look attacking.

I think as a team they aren’t that impressive. I don’t think they are anywhere near an elite team. Yes, they  knocked out some great teams on the path to victory but they also rode their luck along the way. What they do well is just find a way to win, especially in finals. They are greater than the sum of their parts. I think what’s disappointing for me is that we knew exactly what they were going to do and they executed it perfectly. They probably even knew they would only get a few shots on goal and they would have to score from 1. Which is exactly what happened. City and Chelsea put quite a few goals past them so to not even score one is incredibly disappointing.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your assessment. We couldn’t really create many quality chances at all. Mo’s chance near the end just wasn’t good enough to beat Courtois. Good save but had Alisson have let that go in down the other end we would have been fuming. When Mane’s chance didn’t bounce in off the post I just had a feeling it was going to be one of those days. Overall we played well but not well enough to win a final. You need something extra or something magical in a final and we didn’t have it today. Pre-game I actually thought we’d not be overcome by the occasion having played in 2 finals already this season. But I don’t quite think it was there today. That spark needed to push you over the line. Just wasn’t there. I also thought quite a few players were below par. Not sure if they were just nullified, having off days, or simply drained after a long season.

Totally agree with Fiasco, that we need to come to finals with different approaches because what we deliver in 90 minutes at least doesn’t work much of the time. Anyway, of course this will hurt for a while but I think from a mental and physical aspect we need a break.

Still incredibly proud of what the players achieved. Had Villa not have had a 10 min breakdown we would be league champions. But we will come back again. Klopp has signed an extension and as long as we keep making shrewd signings in the summer transfer window there is no reason to believe we won’t be competitive next season and challenging for the same honours.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 05:44:48 am by Number 7 »
YWNA

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #1111 on: May 29, 2022, 04:25:27 am »
This is difficult to take. It reminds me the season we came runners up with Rafa. We could use a midfielder in the window. I think Mane stating as a striker was wrong, he really did not thresten once, Jota or a Bobby with Diaz coming off the bench seemed more likely. I wonder how fit Thiago really was, can't recall any of his passes really causing any problems. Real played out their plan to a T.

Online harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1112 on: May 29, 2022, 04:28:35 am »
This is difficult to take. It reminds me the season we came runners up with Rafa. We could use a midfielder in the window. I think Mane stating as a striker was wrong, he really did not thresten once, Jota or a Bobby with Diaz coming off the bench seemed more likely. I wonder how fit Thiago really was, can't recall any of his passes really causing any problems. Real played out their plan to a T.

huh?
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1113 on: May 29, 2022, 04:46:49 am »
Hard to take as we were favourites and clearly the better team but they scored with their only chance.
That said you try to learn something from defeat. Is there something in the fact we failed to score in three cup finals this season? We created enough chances. Do we need a more clinical forward?  Klopp said Divock was our best finisher.

Its hard to be critical but maybe that's an area we could improve on despite our brilliant attack???

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1114 on: May 29, 2022, 05:23:23 am »
Just gutted after that. It wasn't the greatest performance in the world but some of the shouts in here about how Madrid were the better team and us bottling it are downright weird. They did what they had to do with one of their two chances but Courtois made two fantastic saves to keep us out.

Still, a fantastic season and we'll bounce back again next year.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1115 on: May 29, 2022, 05:39:53 am »

The game itself? We were the better side throughout, although I felt something just wasn't quite right. I felt the intensity wasn't quite there. I'm not sure if that's accurate, or whether it was just my own deflated mood clouding my perception?

Not sure from your post whether you were at the Stade de France (sounds like you were) but yes, on the telly I felt we were just a little off the pace. Plenty of energy in the press, and we won a lot of ball high up the pitch, but we seemed to lack a bit of zip in the final ball, and a lot of our shots on goal felt a little casual, like we expected plenty more chances to come - and that's a feeling I've gotten from us in a lot of games this calendar year.

For those fearing this team has reached its end, I have no such concerns, and reckon that a proper summer break - plus a six week break for Mo and others whose team won't be at Qatar, or have retired from international football, or are considered inferior to Reece James, will be huge for us. I reckon the next season will be our best yet, I really do.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1116 on: May 29, 2022, 05:48:39 am »
Hard to take as we were favourites and clearly the better team but they scored with their only chance.
That said you try to learn something from defeat. Is there something in the fact we failed to score in three cup finals this season? We created enough chances. Do we need a more clinical forward?  Klopp said Divock was our best finisher.

Its hard to be critical but maybe that's an area we could improve on despite our brilliant attack???

I think there probably is something in this.

Its generally very difficult to break down a low block. It's one thing when Burnley do it and totally another when top quality teams like the Madrids or Chelsea or even Spurs try it. Nobody tries to play open attacking football against us because the results are disastrous and dont leave any room for error (pretty much Barca first leg where they won 3-0, they played a flawless game even though we actually played really well. They then made error after error in the 2nd leg and capitulated and were thrashed soundly.

For much of the season we have found ways to win even if we aren't playing well but if there's a low block generally it's a very tough game for us.

There are a few thoughts around, personnel, plan B's etc but it's too early for a post mortem and a strong look into what will improve the team. Certainly the club always bounce back from disappointments and im sure next season will be no different in that regard

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1117 on: May 29, 2022, 06:01:57 am »
We lost to a fantastic goalkeeping performance. I’m not sure why there needs to be any more analysis than that?

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #1118 on: May 29, 2022, 06:03:48 am »
Some of you lot are in complete denial. We are the best team in the world but tonight for whatever reason we didn’t show up (to put it fucking mildly) and got done over by a fucking Spanish Burnley whilst being blinded by their white Madrid shirts. Didn’t play to our potential or get up to speed hardly at all, just watched it play out. Was fucking awful to watch happen. It’s ok to say we didn’t play well, no hiding there, it was shite, it happens, hopefully they learn and move on.

I think “we are the best team in the world” is in denial as much as those who say we were shite. We won 2 trophies and lost 2 this season. The best team in the world wins that CL final. They find a way. Losing the league by a point is still losing. Losing the CL final having more chances is still losing. Theres a cutthroat ruthless streak missing. That raw hunger and desire to win at all costs has been missing this season during the crunch games, in the premier league and in the Cup Finals. 3 finals and we didn’t score in any of them. 5.5 hours of Finals we didn’t score in. Spurs, Chelsea, City... we need to BEAT one of these teams, draws aren’t enough. We’re a great team and a team to be proud of, but this “best team in the world” shite need to stop. We lost the league and CL final this season. That’s a reality that doesn’t fit with the best team in the world. Don’t believe the hype.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
« Reply #1119 on: May 29, 2022, 06:05:09 am »

Also think its in combination with how the fans were treated, some of the disgusting things that have been said, put in the media, UEFA. Just disgusting on top of this loss.

Ref was tripe too. So inconsistent and seemed to give us nothing. Blew right on 5min despite time wasting and seemed pretty chummy with Madrid players post match.