Author Topic: Lucas  (Read 143774 times)

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
Re: Lucas
« Reply #800 on: July 18, 2017, 07:53:33 pm »
Class lad.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #801 on: July 18, 2017, 07:54:13 pm »
My Hero. My Mate.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #802 on: July 18, 2017, 07:55:37 pm »
As a mark of respect, I hope in our next game one of the players gives away a free-kick on the edge of the box, in extra time.

All the best Lucas, hope to see you here again in a few years time in a coaching role!

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #803 on: July 18, 2017, 07:59:42 pm »

Wow, I can't believe his LFC career is over, I remember the buzz around signing him as a goal scoring midfielder, was really excited to have him sign for us, first few seasons were tough but there were some key points, the game where Rafa subbed Gerrard for Lucas in the derby comes to mind, I hope he has a fantastic time in Italy and can't wait to welcome him again! Thanks for being a top bloke and a true example of how a professional footballer and good human being should act, YNWA Lucas!

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #804 on: July 18, 2017, 07:59:57 pm »
Lucas..the player from overseas who became one of us & will always be one of us.
That bond & affinity will remain.
Thankyou for your commitment and loyalty.

Good luck at Lazio lad.

YNWA.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #805 on: July 18, 2017, 08:04:01 pm »
He will be missed especially in the changing room and around Melwood. To lose such a character with leadership and experience will leave a huge gap which I hope the senior pros step up to try and fill.
Good Luck Lucas mate from one Scouser to another.

Offline Van Halen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #806 on: July 18, 2017, 08:04:26 pm »
As a mark of respect, I hope in our next game one of the players gives away a free-kick on the edge of the box, in extra time.

;D

All the best to true team player and class act!

Enjoy Italy!

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #807 on: July 18, 2017, 08:05:37 pm »
Good Luck to the lad.

Injuries stopped him from fulfilling his maximum potential, but he remained a true professional. He's represented himself and the club with integrity and dignity.

If he stays fit, he could play in Italy well into his mid-thirties and beyond.

He's a Scouser, his kids are Scousers and he will always be one of us.

Y.N.W.A. Lucas

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #808 on: July 18, 2017, 08:10:12 pm »
Bit too emotional this week to watch the vid but good luck lad!!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #809 on: July 18, 2017, 08:11:14 pm »
Lucas Leiva: a role model who is leaving Liverpool after 10 rollercoaster years

The Brazilian, who has joined Lazio, was heavily criticised when he joined from Grêmio in 2007 but earned the respect of his team-mates and the 30-year-old will be sorely missed in the Anfield dressing room

Lucas Leiva had heard the lament many times before but it was still a surprise when it was repeated at his testimonial dinner by Jürgen Klopp. An atypical Brazilian would be the politest summary of the Liverpool manager’s on-stage “tribute” in April, when he gave thanks that he could at least rely on Philippe Coutinho and Roberto Firmino to sprinkle the team with ingenuity and flair. It went unsaid but Liverpool could rely on the duo’s less-heralded compatriot for almost everything else.

The Liverpool squad have lost their longest-serving player with Lucas’ £5m transfer to Lazio. The club is not losing its most gifted or decorated player and many will be bemused by any fuss over the midfielder’s departure after 10 years but Klopp is losing an asset that he, and Liverpool managers before him, came to trust implicitly and value for his influence on and off the pitch.

That Lucas remained at Liverpool long enough to have a testimonial tribute and Klopp was the fifth manager to appreciate his contribution reflects a successful fight for recognition. He exits having made 346 competitive appearances for the club he joined from Grêmio for £5m in 2007 and with a degree of respect that would have been difficult to envisage during his initial struggles in Rafael Benítez’s team. Lucas competed with Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano for a central midfield position and was judged by their lofty standards. The cries of “shoot, shoot” whenever Lucas took possession in his final game at Anfield, against Middlesbrough on the last day of the season, when Liverpool reclaimed entry into the Champions League, underlined how far his relationship with supporters had come.

“It’s been an incredible 10 years,” said Lucas that day, after being presented with a commemorative trophy by Kenny Dalglish. “We all know it’s been a little bit like a rollercoaster, a lot of ups and downs, but I’m so proud to wear this shirt every day of my life. This club made me better as a person, as a player, I have two kids born in Liverpool. For sure, my kids will be really proud when they grow up, come to Anfield and watch games, and know their dad played for Liverpool.”

The words, and the ovation they triggered, were heartfelt. Lucas and his family have always intended to return to Brazil when his playing days end but have subsequently considered keeping a base in Liverpool too, such is their affection for the club and the city. A rollercoaster has its downs and being booed by a section of the Anfield crowd against Fulham in November 2008 was “the worst moment,” he later admitted. There was hardly an interview with Lucas during his early years on Merseyside that did not reference criticism from the crowd.

A cruciate ligament injury cost the midfielder the opportunity to play in two Wembley finals under Dalglish and two years of his international career. Liverpool’s only trophy during Lucas’ time at the club, the 2012 League Cup, arrived three months after he suffered the injury in the quarter-final victory at Chelsea. His involvement in the cup run was enough for Lucas to take great pride in his winners’ medal, presented to him at Melwood after Dalglish and the then director of football Damien Comolli had ordered an extra one.

The battle for approval extended to Liverpool managers too with the exception of Benítez, who signed him and stood by him throughout. Klopp, like Brendan Rodgers, did not have Lucas in his first-choice plans but turned to him at key moments. Having been selected in central defence ahead of established defenders last season, Lucas produced a dominant man of the match display when restored to midfield against Everton in April. His reaction on the final whistle demonstrated how much it meant to someone from Dourados, Brazil, to win one last Merseyside derby, and silenced perhaps even his own doubts about contributing at the highest level.

Behind the scenes there was no doubting the extent of Lucas’ contribution in the Liverpool dressing room. Fluent in Spanish, English and Portuguese he took the lead in helping foreign imports settle, not least Coutinho whose contentment on Merseyside has brought reassurance for Klopp amid the reported interest from Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain. Lucas threw himself into ambassadorial duties for the Liverpool Foundation, the club’s charity arm, with equal relish.

As captain Jordan Henderson reflected following the Anfield derby last season: “Any person joining Liverpool who is looking for a role model or an example to follow then, for me, you look no further than Lucas Leiva. In simple terms he sets the standard of professionalism and attitude of what it is to be a Liverpool player. In the dressing room there is no one who is respected or admired more.

“I think from the outside he is often portrayed as being the ‘go-to person’ for our lads from his own country or any Spanish or Portuguese-speaking players who join Liverpool but that does him a massive disservice. It doesn’t even scratch the surface of his influence. I came from the north-east and the help and support he gave me initially and still gives me to this day is massive. It doesn’t matter to Lucas whether you’re from Runcorn or Rio, he’ll make time for you and look to offer his experience to help individuals or the team when it’s needed.”

Lucas has more to offer aged 30 than a bit-part role on the pitch at Liverpool. Klopp, despite the jokes at Liverpool’s atypical Brazilian, recognised as much with some reluctance.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/18/lucas-leiva-liverpool-role-model-leaving
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #810 on: July 18, 2017, 08:12:37 pm »
Massive personality. As Milner said in the video, Lucas was the lad who'd arrange get togethers, help players settle, integrate the foreign lads and there families, including the kids. That kind of individual is hard to recreate, much more than just a number on the pitch and I definitely think he'll be missed, especially ina. Social aspect.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #811 on: July 18, 2017, 08:14:17 pm »
thank you Lucas for everything you have done for LFC. You will be greatly missed. Good luck to you and your family in your new adventure but Just like Stevie G hope to see you back once your playing days are over in a coaching role. All the best.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #812 on: July 18, 2017, 08:15:57 pm »
A giant amongst men.  Our club will have a massive void to fill.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline andy84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We're on the march with Jurgen's army
« Reply #813 on: July 18, 2017, 08:18:04 pm »
Great player, wonderful servant of the club, a true team player and a class act off the field. Along with the likes of Xabi and Sami Hypia, he'll be also be thought of a great player for us but furthermore, a true red. All the best to him in Italy. I hope he gets the medals he deserves.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #814 on: July 18, 2017, 08:18:31 pm »
No YOU'RE all getting tears in your eyes :(

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #815 on: July 18, 2017, 08:22:46 pm »
Ahhh, I was hoping Lucas would stay on as a coach.

*sob*

NoooOOOOoo Don'tt gOOOOoooooo #Love4Lucas
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Bander

• Boys Pen
  • YNWA
« Reply #816 on: July 18, 2017, 08:23:39 pm »
I still remember what happened to him against Fulham at Anfield in 2008 it was really shame from our fans who are called the best in the world!

He was always there when the team needed him and every time he put the team ahead of him and give 100%.

Good Luck Lucas.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #817 on: July 18, 2017, 08:25:14 pm »
First i heard about Klopp making fun of him at his testimonial dinner.

Anyway, gutted.

Offline invader_gir

• Anny Roader
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #818 on: July 18, 2017, 08:28:54 pm »

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #819 on: July 18, 2017, 08:53:33 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolFC/videos/10155776879737573/

hope this works - nice touch from the squad while away in HK

Online Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #820 on: July 18, 2017, 08:59:42 pm »
Great player, great chap. Good move for both in all
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #821 on: July 18, 2017, 09:08:17 pm »

All the very best to him.

^ from the end of last season.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/b79OyjI1Ku8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/b79OyjI1Ku8</a>

Hopefully he'll be back sometime soon - as the club best offer him a testimonial here...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:10:19 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #822 on: July 18, 2017, 09:16:31 pm »
Hahaha, top guy.

I wasn't going to get a top this year, but now am tempted to get a 21 with 'Ta Lad' on the back :D

Offline invader_gir

• Anny Roader
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #823 on: July 18, 2017, 09:27:57 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolFC/videos/10155776879737573/

hope this works - nice touch from the squad while away in HK

That is actually very very nice.  :'( :'(

Online Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #824 on: July 18, 2017, 09:28:56 pm »
That is actually very very nice.  :'( :'(

I love how Awkward Salah looks throughout :'(

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #825 on: July 18, 2017, 09:42:59 pm »
A hero :scarf the adversity he came through from our own fans at the start of his time here is a great testament to his character - and a reminder to ourselves to give all players the proper time and a chance to show their worth. There was a period of games, unfortunately ended due to an injury, where Lucas was absolutely world class in his position. If anyone remembers his boss tackle on a powering Yaya Toure, it was that time.

All the best to him! YNWA
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #826 on: July 18, 2017, 09:58:48 pm »
Haven't felt like this since Torres left, teared up reading that letter.

Absolute legend in my eyes, top lad.

Goodluck, please come back soon.
:D

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #827 on: July 18, 2017, 09:58:58 pm »
Very emotional reading his letter and all his tributes, he's been at the club all my adult life it'll be weird without him around, you can tell he had a hugely positive influence on the dressing room which will be hard to replace. All the best in Rome Lucas lad!

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #828 on: July 18, 2017, 10:32:40 pm »
that video was mental!!!! Albie Moreno is walking the plank himself and he is thanking him and wishing him all the best :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

He is one of us, Lucas. Good Luck at Lazio.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #829 on: July 18, 2017, 10:49:15 pm »
Love him, he played in a lot of our greatest games while he's been here.
Brilliant Liverpool player, best wishes to him and hope he has a great time in Lazio.
X
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #830 on: July 18, 2017, 10:56:17 pm »
Boa sorte lad.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #831 on: July 18, 2017, 10:56:38 pm »
He's just a great lad.
Thanks for everything and good luck in Italy...

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #832 on: July 18, 2017, 10:57:32 pm »
Thought the team video was very good. Definitely demonstrates the impact he's had on the dressing room, as I can't think of a similar instances when a squad has recorded a message like that. Good luck in Rome Lucas. YNWA

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #833 on: July 18, 2017, 11:07:34 pm »
It's a testament to his mental character that he stuck through it when he was barracked by our own. Thanks for everything Lucas. Especially for sticking with us through the desperate times. It's something we won't forget.

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #834 on: July 18, 2017, 11:14:08 pm »
Good luck in Italy Lucas and thanks from us all YNWA
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline MihawkLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Meh.
« Reply #835 on: July 18, 2017, 11:23:58 pm »
I adored him.
Had two seasons where he was probably the best midfielder in the league.
Unfortunate injury and he really never reached those highs again. Nevertheless he always gave everything and never looked downbeat on what must have been a tremendous setback for someone who always had to prove the people wrong and kept on fighting without moaning once. Always gave his all in whatever position we put him in (even on the bench) and helped us settle in other signings. He is a top lad and will in my mind always be a legend. Sadly he never won anything major with us even tho he deserved to do so.

I hate to see him go but I can also understand why he had to take this decision.

You will never walk alone Lucas Leiva!

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #836 on: July 18, 2017, 11:24:31 pm »
His first name is Lucas, is Lucas, is Lucas
His second name is Leiva, is Leiva, is Leiva
And that is why we like him, we like him, we like him
In fact we fucking love him, we love him, we love him
WHOA WHOA WHOAAAAAAAAA
WHOA WHOA WHOAAAAAAAAA

Fucking legend, top lad and will always be one of us. One of those fellas who just got it when it comes to Liverpool. Hope he tears up Serie A next year, will be well worth watching.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #837 on: July 18, 2017, 11:29:05 pm »
Going to miss you. Good luck at Lazio :wave
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #838 on: July 18, 2017, 11:29:59 pm »
Really liked him as a player and always came across as a great person as well.

Very best of luck to the lad in his future career.

Top lad.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #839 on: July 18, 2017, 11:30:13 pm »
Fantastic letter,

The term legend is thrown around too easily, it fits Lucas comfortably
aarf, aarf, aarf.