Author Topic: FA Cup: Wolves 2 v Liverpool 1 Jimenez ‘37 Neves ‘55 Origi ‘50  (Read 50302 times)

Offline welshred1976

• Legacy Fan
  • make us dream
Re: FA Cup: Wolves 2 v Liverpool 1 Jimenez ‘37 Neves ‘55 Origi ‘50
« Reply #1000 on: January 8, 2019, 02:13:38 pm »
Jermaine Jenas is an utter dick. Not since the days of Andy Gray's co-commentary have I been so enraged. All I've wanted for years of watching televised football is to turn off the commentary and watch the game with crowd noise only.
“The status of the club is incredible, but it’s only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... it’s more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1001 on: January 8, 2019, 02:17:41 pm »
Jermaine Jenas is an utter dick. Not since the days of Andy Gray's co-commentary have I been so enraged. All I've wanted for years of watching televised football is to turn off the commentary and watch the game with crowd noise only.

Stream online and listen to those Arabic commentators. They are more entertaining ......although i have no idea what they are saying. ;D
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline welshred1976

• Legacy Fan
  • make us dream
« Reply #1002 on: January 8, 2019, 02:19:44 pm »
Stream online and listen to those Arabic commentators. They are more entertaining ......although i have no idea what they are saying. ;D

It's an idea but I'm a bit of an AV freak so like a belting HD picture.
“The status of the club is incredible, but it’s only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... it’s more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1003 on: January 8, 2019, 02:27:33 pm »
We've got a 10 day break before the 1st leg vs Bayern.

I think it's much like the feelings I had towards the wolves and city game that one. Let's see how the league's looking before we decide how seriously to take it.

If we're a bit further clear I think we can throw a bit at Bayern and rotate in the league. If it's still tight then the opposite becomes true. Same again come the quarters if we get there.

We have got scope to rotate between now and the end of the year, we just don't have scope to rotate on the scale we did yesterday. That's fine for me.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #1004 on: January 8, 2019, 02:39:02 pm »
Was a really, really poor show by us last night, and you would have to blame the seniors who were poor to a man apart from Fabinho. Origi and Shaq both produced a moment of magic but were otherwise anonymous or poor in possession.

Keita has 1 or two good runs, but for the rest of the game, poor passing let him down - the Salah ball being the obvious example. These were relatively simple balls (for him) so all a bit depressing when you think back to that perfect ball he gave to Robbo on the 1st day of the season. Just needs to harder that bit harder and get his confidence right.

The poor performance does mean that some of these guys will struggle to get into the team for the next month or so and they do have themselves to blame. That said, Milner & Shaq had poor games but have been generally good in the previous month so its not like they will all simply be cast aside because of this.

The kids did well all things considered. Camacho shouldn't be shooting for goal from those kind of distances esp when we have committed numbers forward.

Now we have to make sure that the gap in the fixtures is put to good use and we take full advantage.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1005 on: January 8, 2019, 02:41:13 pm »
Generally they are questioning the positioning of the 6 in the 8 zone and how that leaves the left open to a quick counter-press then goooooooaaaaaallllllll. I learnt all this from Babu Yagu. He lives in Brazil with crocodiles and PoP.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2019, 02:43:00 pm by idontknow »
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #1006 on: January 8, 2019, 02:47:26 pm »
This is as about as bonkers a post I've seen in 10+ years reading RAWK.

Specifically:

"If we did win 5 'Champions' Leagues, 4 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 3 Super Cups, 3 World Club Cups and zero leagues - would you see that as 'success'?"

Yes. Absolutely fucking Yes.
Wige mate - I'm the same as Andy.

Liverpool exist to win the league - cups are a by product. This is prossibly an age thing, but remember, you only got into the European cup after WINNING the league. Not coming second, third or fourth. That's why we place the league over everything.

Look at it objectively as well - win the league, you're always in the CL pool stages. And seeded. As for the FA Cup, then if they want to reclaim it's glory, then give the fourth place finish to the FA Cup winners. Make it worthwhile going for it. See the attitude change then.

I love winning cups, but the domestic competitions are not what they used to be. Winning the League means you are legitimately the best team in your country. You cannot make that distinction for the CL - as weird as it sounds, other teams have done a lot of the work for you. Win the league and you've proven better than everyone in that comp.

League is always - and always should - be the aim here. Everything else comes second.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1007 on: January 8, 2019, 02:49:28 pm »
It's an idea but I'm a bit of an AV freak so like a belting HD picture.

it really should be an option to just have stadium noise..  if netflix can have a choose your own path Black Mirror episode i would imagine the technology is up to it ?
any broadcast engineers out there ?

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1008 on: January 8, 2019, 02:50:57 pm »

I didn't mind Jenas, he was just a bit shit. That fucking panel of Shearer, Ince and Keane though, that was horrible. Shearer is such a twat.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1009 on: January 8, 2019, 02:57:06 pm »
I didn't mind Jenas, he was just a bit shit. That fucking panel of Shearer, Ince and Keane though, that was horrible. Shearer is such a twat.
It's bad enough when they comment on the game.
When they start to give strategic advice to Klopp and the club about what they should be doing, it's unbearable.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1010 on: January 8, 2019, 02:59:13 pm »
Wige mate - I'm the same as Andy.

Liverpool exist to win the league - cups are a by product. This is prossibly an age thing, but remember, you only got into the European cup after WINNING the league. Not coming second, third or fourth. That's why we place the league over everything.

Look at it objectively as well - win the league, you're always in the CL pool stages. And seeded. As for the FA Cup, then if they want to reclaim it's glory, then give the fourth place finish to the FA Cup winners. Make it worthwhile going for it. See the attitude change then.

I love winning cups, but the domestic competitions are not what they used to be. Winning the League means you are legitimately the best team in your country. You cannot make that distinction for the CL - as weird as it sounds, other teams have done a lot of the work for you. Win the league and you've proven better than everyone in that comp.

League is always - and always should - be the aim here. Everything else comes second.

I agree that the League should always be the aim. I agree it's the biggest trophy. It's also the one I want most.

I'm not having that 19 trophies, including 5 Champions leagues, wouldn't be success though.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1011 on: January 8, 2019, 03:12:55 pm »
All this talk of being out helping us in the league. I’m still yet to see a season where we say phew I’m glad we glad we got knocked out of the FA Cup as it’s helped outlet league position. I get what people are thinking but I’ve seen the evidence of it.

It undoubtedly helped during our run in during 2013-14 when we had a fully fit and well rested team playing each week, it also helped Leicester in 15-16 for similar reasons.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1012 on: January 8, 2019, 03:35:19 pm »
61% possession to us
10 shots to us, 11 to them
2 on target to us, 3 to them
Shaqiri worldy off the post, Neves worldy just inside the post.
Their first goal from a mistake from Milner, and a bad decision from our DM playing CB, the kind of tackle he can risk more as a DM knowing there's cover behind him.
Our not-even-reserve team, with 2 teenagers in defence and little protection from midfield, against a very strong Wolves team with their best players playing. At their place. Where they've beaten top 6 sides at full strength.

On reflection, I think some people are definitely underestimating how well we played. Or at least how well we contained them.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1013 on: January 8, 2019, 03:40:26 pm »
61% possession to us
Their first goal from a mistake from Milner, and a bad decision from our DM playing CB, the kind of tackle he can risk more as a DM knowing there's cover behind him.
Our not-even-reserve team, with 2 teenagers in defence and little protection from midfield, against a very strong Wolves team with their best players playing. At their place. Where they've beaten top 6 sides at full strength.

On reflection, I think some people are definitely underestimating how well we played. Or at least how well we contained them.

We didn't play well no mater what the stat's say. We may have 61% possession but a lot of that was in our own half and going nowhere

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1014 on: January 8, 2019, 03:42:47 pm »
I know it’s not analysis, hence why I said ‘from memory’ and I said I’d like to see the analysis so I will look it up.
https://tomkinstimes.com/2019/01/domestic-cups-mean-nothing-in-terms-of-winning-the-big-trophies/
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1015 on: January 8, 2019, 03:43:22 pm »
61% possession to us

I thought both teams were shite to be honest. Wolves just escaped criticism because they won.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1016 on: January 8, 2019, 03:47:02 pm »
It's bad enough when they comment on the game.
When they start to give strategic advice to Klopp and the club about what they should be doing, it's unbearable.

Yep, truly cringe-worthy.

At half time they were also trying to make out that Klopp should be worried for the rest of the season if his 2nd string players are this poor. Yes, because at some point this season we are undoubtedly going to have to play many games without, VD, Gini, Henderson, Alisson, Trent, Robertson, Salah, Mane and Firmino all not in the team at the same time aren't we?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1017 on: January 8, 2019, 03:47:47 pm »
I thought both teams were shite to be honest. Wolves just escaped criticism because they won.

They weren't shite. They executed their game-plan well - they controlled the space in the middle, giving us little time on the ball but without fouling us, and forced us in wider areas where they knew our full-backs delivery would be lacking.

To credit us with having more possession against Wolves suggests a lack of knowledge about the opposition to be honest. The type of harmless possession we had was exactly what they want; I think I heard a stat that we only touched the ball nine times in their area. That disciplined shape is precisely why their results have been pretty great against big sides this season, but below-par against the rest.

I don't think they countered as well as they can last night, but that's partly because they were leading for the majority of the time and were happy to sit in their 5-3-2 shape. One of their pacey wide players on the pitch would have seriously troubled us with the amount of space we were leaving in wide areas.

They're an impressive outfit, but they will need to evolve next campaign to sustain their current league placing. Better players - specifically in attacking areas, and perhaps another central defender - should enable that.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2019, 03:51:32 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #1018 on: January 8, 2019, 03:54:51 pm »
I mean this in the nicest possible way mate and mean no offence, but that's a very snobby attitude to have. We haven't won anything in ages, I would have loved to have won the FA Cup.
Maybe this season is different from previous ones because we are where we are and that's an understandable point of view 
Klopp has to priorotise and rightly so, but no one will convince me that he and the players wont be very dissapointed we're not in the next round
Not being snobby.

I should have qualified that with 'this season' - it's all about the league for me this season.

When I saw the team sheets I pretty much resigned myself to Wolves winning the game unless Danny, Origi and Shaq REALLY stepped up.

I would love to win the FA Cup but when you see a mish mash team and you got drawn against decent PL opposition then you resign yourself to probably not progressing.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1019 on: January 8, 2019, 03:55:49 pm »
They weren't shite. They executed their game-plan well - they controlled the space in the middle, giving us little time on the ball but without fouling us, and forced us in wider areas where they knew our full-backs delivery would be lacking. To credit us with having more possession against Wolves suggests a lack of knowledge about the opposition. That's exactly what they want and it's precisely why their results have been pretty great against big sides this season, but below-par against the rest.

They're an impressive outfit, but they will need to evolve next campaign to sustain their current league placing.

I've been impressed by Wolves a lot this season, but not last night. "Shite" may be a lazy, harsh description and was poor of me to use, but I don't think they were good. I thought it was a pretty awful game of football and they struggled to create almost anything of note themselves. Neves, Moutinho and, at times, Coady aside, they lacked quality. I don't think execution of a gameplan necessarily equates to playing well. I'd debate how much of an influence it actually had on the goals they scored as well - first is a terrible ball from Moreno, a poor decision from Milner then Fabinho, arguably Milner again and finally Mignolet being Mignolet - ie passive and generally a poor keeper. Mignolet again for the second, though it's a decent strike from Neves.

We were poor. We lacked quality on the ball, movement off it, and a fair few of the senior players actually let themselves down a bit I thought. Still, Shaqiri's goes in and I don't think Wolves are getting the same plaudits.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1020 on: January 8, 2019, 03:58:51 pm »
I've been impressed by Wolves a lot this season, but not last night. "Shite" may be a lazy, harsh description and was poor of me to use, but I don't think they were good. I thought it was a pretty awful game of football and they struggled to create almost anything of note themselves. Neves, Moutinho and, at times, Coady aside, they lacked quality. I don't think execution of a gameplan necessarily equates to playing well. I'd debate how much of an influence it actually had on the goals they scored as well - first is a terrible ball from Moreno, a poor decision from Milner then Fabinho, arguably Milner again and finally Mignolet being Mignolet - ie passive and generally a poor keeper. Mignolet again for the second, though it's a decent strike from Neves.

We were poor. We lacked quality on the ball, movement off it, and a fair few of the senior players actually let themselves down a bit I thought. Still, Shaqiri's goes in and I don't think Wolves are getting the same plaudits.

I've definitely seen them play better mate but ultimately they didn't need to be.

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1021 on: January 8, 2019, 03:59:13 pm »
This is as about as bonkers a post I've seen in 10+ years reading RAWK.

Specifically:

"If we did win 5 'Champions' Leagues, 4 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 3 Super Cups, 3 World Club Cups and zero leagues - would you see that as 'success'?"

Yes. Absolutely fucking Yes.

Especially if we did it all in one season :-)
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline Cheesehead

• What the hell is Brett Favrrrvre doing here?
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1022 on: January 8, 2019, 04:09:17 pm »
https://tomkinstimes.com/2019/01/domestic-cups-mean-nothing-in-terms-of-winning-the-big-trophies/

Thanks mate, I’ll have read of that later. I’ve got a 7 year old to beat in a 1 on 1 match in the garden 1st!

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1023 on: January 8, 2019, 04:10:31 pm »
I unfortunately (fortunately?) didn't see the match. What is the consensus on how Jones and Camacho did?

Do we think Camacho can step in as a decent backup fullback this year and next?
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1024 on: January 8, 2019, 04:12:41 pm »
Yep, truly cringe-worthy.

At half time they were also trying to make out that Klopp should be worried for the rest of the season if his 2nd string players are this poor. Yes, because at some point this season we are undoubtedly going to have to play many games without, VD, Gini, Henderson, Alisson, Trent, Robertson, Salah, Mane and Firmino all not in the team at the same time aren't we?
They just show that they in the main they are incapable of using context or thinking around a situation. They just react to the most recent thing they've seen, and this passes for expert analysis.

Off the top of my head we have a decent 18 and as you say won't need to change 7 each week, but to maybe tweak one or 2 per game as well as bringing on subs to shore it up or grab a goal. We've gradually seen that grow over the years and it will get stronger as we upgrade the likes of Lovren or Matip, Milner, Lallana, Sturridge. I think we need around 18-20 top players supplemented by the very best kids and we are not too far away, despite the MOTD brains trusts best efforts.

I'm not sure who was pushing that particular line, but Shearer doesn't strike me as a particularly deep thinker and I'm bemused how several Chairman and boards have interviewed Ince and still given him a manager's job because he makes Shearer look good.

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #1025 on: January 8, 2019, 04:13:19 pm »
Just goes to show that we are still a job in progress, but the options Klopp took are managerial decisions that need to be made at the top level.

Our lack of depth has shown time and agian, and this time, despite recently adding VVD and Robertson, oud defense needs to be bolstered to enable us challenge/fight on 4 fronts.

This will happen soon, probably in the pipeline already.

Knowing Klopp, he is verys specific about who he wants, and the next defender coming in will be of the caliber of VVD / Gomez.

The squad looks good to focus on the League, which is a sensible priority.

Onwards and upwards.
Doubters to Believers

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1026 on: January 8, 2019, 04:13:51 pm »
I unfortunately (fortunately?) didn't see the match. What is the consensus on how Jones and Camacho did?

For me, not yet. Clearly confident with a bit of pace and a nice touch, but clearly still a U23 player for me. Maybe next year, but think that might be a push too.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1027 on: January 8, 2019, 04:18:48 pm »
Not being snobby.

I should have qualified that with 'this season' - it's all about the league for me this season.

When I saw the team sheets I pretty much resigned myself to Wolves winning the game unless Danny, Origi and Shaq REALLY stepped up.

I would love to win the FA Cup but when you see a mish mash team and you got drawn against decent PL opposition then you resign yourself to probably not progressing.

Honestly think it was about the toughest draw we could have got. The best non top six side with only the FA Cup left to play for. Pretty much any other opposition and we could have done what the ‘others’ did and play a mishmash of kids, fringe players, players returning from injury and a sprinkling of first teamers and get through easily. It’s all guesswork as to what City or Chelsea would have done in the same situation but I can’t see either going full strength. Add Gomez and Matip being injured and it’s just a killer.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1028 on: January 8, 2019, 04:22:40 pm »
We didn't play well no mater what the stat's say. We may have 61% possession but a lot of that was in our own half and going nowhere
They had only 3 shots on target, one from a mistake and one from, what, 30 yards?
Perhaps.

But we also need to take into account that they are a damn good side, and it was their first team vs a mix of our 2nd and 3rd.

I consider it worth at least some praise if a team of 50% kids using a formation we never use and which has never played together manages to hold it together against a solid team, even if they played badly.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1029 on: January 8, 2019, 04:24:33 pm »
Honestly think it was about the toughest draw we could have got. The best non top six side with only the FA Cup left to play for.
Yep. Another 'top' team and they're playing the kids too. Anything lower than Wolves (bar Utd) simply doesn't have quality of the likes of Neves to call upon.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1030 on: January 8, 2019, 04:28:13 pm »
Knowing Klopp, he is verys specific about who he wants, and the next defender coming in will be of the caliber of VVD / Gomez.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see someone a bit like Khoulibaly - probably not him as he's too pacy, but someone who has no obvious weaknesses and is absolutely physically dominant in at least one area. Also wouldn't be surprised if the dominant area was more aerial than in terms of pace, simply because if VVD is out then it'd be Lovren who'd take on that role, and I have a sneaking suspicion that he might ultimately be the one to make way if we do sign a CB.

I'd say Matip - but at his best I think he's a more skilful player than Lovren (with that height advantage), who offers more against weaker teams (when we might rotate through choice) and who's injury record perhaps makes him more likely to be happy with a squad role at a top club, rather than still only playing a limited number of games at a worse club because his body can't quite hold out anyway.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1031 on: January 8, 2019, 04:36:44 pm »
They weren't shite. They executed their game-plan well - they controlled the space in the middle, giving us little time on the ball but without fouling us, and forced us in wider areas where they knew our full-backs delivery would be lacking.

To credit us with having more possession against Wolves suggests a lack of knowledge about the opposition to be honest.The type of harmless possession we had was exactly what they want; I think I heard a stat that we only touched the ball nine times in their area. That disciplined shape is precisely why their results have been pretty great against big sides this season, but below-par against the rest.

I don't think they countered as well as they can last night, but that's partly because they were leading for the majority of the time and were happy to sit in their 5-3-2 shape. One of their pacey wide players on the pitch would have seriously troubled us with the amount of space we were leaving in wide areas.

They're an impressive outfit, but they will need to evolve next campaign to sustain their current league placing. Better players - specifically in attacking areas, and perhaps another central defender - should enable that.
A lot of fair points there, and I don't mean to say that possession is a reward in and of itself, more to show that a fairly cobbled together team still controlled aspects of play for long spells - which matches what I remember from the match and what you'll see if you check the highlights, IE a pretty even game where they had one very dangerous spell after they went 1-0 up, and in which otherwise we mostly controlled play and were about even in terms of decent/half chances.

The were happy to let us have a lot of that possession, for sure, but they will also (if they hadn't won) been a little disappointed that they couldn't get at our back 4 more, considering it's composition and the lack of real protection in front of them.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1032 on: January 8, 2019, 04:41:15 pm »
..Shearer doesn't strike me as a particularly deep thinker...
The fact that Shearer is paid not just money, but fucking huge sums of it, in exchange for his ability to talk (even if it is about football) is absolute and concrete proof that we are not in any way living in a meritocratic society. I don't necessarily hate him, but I do genuinely think it's disgusting that our national broadcaster sees fit to use ordinary people's money in order to enrich ex-footballers, rather than taking a gamble and actually hiring people who can talk about it in an interesting way.

Imagine people like BabaYagu and PoP having 5 minutes to analyse a game. Are you really telling me the ratings would go down? Who the fuck tunes in for, or even slightly enjoys, the absolute dogshit the usual pundits spout? People come to watch their team and then generally shout at the pundits. Who knows? You might actually end up with a program that, yer know, informs, educates and entertains. Now where did I hear those three things before? They seem familiar somehow.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1033 on: January 8, 2019, 04:46:32 pm »
The fact that Shearer is paid not just money, but fucking huge sums of it, in exchange for his ability to talk (even if it is about football) is absolute and concrete proof that we are not in any way living in a meritocratic society. I don't necessarily hate him, but I do genuinely think it's disgusting that our national broadcaster sees fit to use ordinary people's money in order to enrich ex-footballers, rather than taking a gamble and actually hiring people who can talk about it in an interesting way.

Imagine people like BabaYagu and PoP having 5 minutes to analyse a game. Are you really telling me the ratings would go down? Who the fuck tunes in for, or even slightly enjoys, the absolute dogshit the usual pundits spout? People come to watch their team and then generally shout at the pundits. Who knows? You might actually end up with a program that, yer know, informs, educates and entertains. Now where did I hear those three things before? They seem familiar somehow.
Shearer tends to be much better on MOTD than at half time of live games, when he's not much better - clichιs, passion, individuals - than someone like Ince (who is genuinely terrible). Which suggests his MOTD stuff may be largely provided by analysts and researchers. Maybe it's PoP writing his MOTD lines for him :).
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1034 on: January 8, 2019, 04:47:58 pm »
Not being snobby.

This season puts a different complexion on it then, I'll let you off  :P
Can't wait to Saturday now to get this last week out of our system, been a shit one, but we can't really complain the way the season is going so far I suppose

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1035 on: January 8, 2019, 04:48:02 pm »

Jones was on the periphery I thought, but I was really impressed with Camacho. He wasn't absolutely perfect but he didn't look out of place at all. Really quick, confident, eager to get forward. Lots and lots of potential.

As for Hoever, again I was impressed. A couple of minutes after he came on he got the ball and split their lines with a lovely 25 yard ball into feet. For a 16 year old kid to do that on his debut, after literally just coming on as sub, showed incredible confidence and skill. He's obviously one for the medium and long-term, but he seems to have a lot of raw tools and great self-confidence.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1036 on: January 8, 2019, 04:51:53 pm »
Love you Hendo.

I thought Jurgen respected the cup a bit too much. I would have left Mo and Bobby on the bench.

Probably didn't want them freezing on the bench. Have a nice little run around for twenty minutes and pretend like you care.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1037 on: January 8, 2019, 04:52:35 pm »
We are top with 17 games to go not 7.

And we should (probably helped with rested players) beat Brighton on Saturday to go back to 7 ahead. leaving City to play surprisingly Wolves on Monday needing to catch up. I'd be hoping to be 4 points clear at least with 16 to go

Then a weeks rest to Palace at home where all things considered we should win that. City play the day after us and still playing catch up. They simply cant afford to drop points, admittedly against Huddersfield. So I'd expect to be at least 4 points clear. 15 to go.

We have a 10 day break before our next game during which time City have 2 cup games against Burton and Burnley before they start in the league again against Newcastle away in an 8 oclock kick off. 3 games in 7 days. IF City win then its down to 1 point with us to play the following day.

Leicester home. Again, another one I see us winning. Back to 4 points and only 14 to go. Getting excited yet?

Next ones a tricky weekend for both. City at Arsenal first where I actually think they'll get beat or it'll be a high scoring draw. I think both attacks are good, and both defences are shite. Could go either way but I'm going for them to lose. We overpower West Ham the following day. 7 clear with 13 to go.

If we get to here with a 7 point lead then fuck me I think were nearly there. We have a 10 day rest again before Bayern with our next league game against the now attack minded mancs. Meanwhile city play Chelsea. big weekend that. Still top no matter what (IMO)

A dozen left...

Just enjoy it...
« Last Edit: January 8, 2019, 04:54:26 pm by blert596 »
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1038 on: January 8, 2019, 04:56:40 pm »
Woke up and feel even more strongly that the BBC and other pundits can fuck right off.  Of course I wanted LFC to win the game but this garbage about devaluing the cup and it not being important is horse shit.  It hasn't been important in forever and almost every team plays a weekend side.  How are those 3 FA Cup wins working out for Wenger this days?  Nobody fucking cares except those that paid to put it on TV and those that are paid to write about it.  Fuck them.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jόrgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1039 on: January 8, 2019, 04:56:41 pm »
Just trawling through the thread and spotted this. Like you, I tend to avoid most of the football media. They are all about sensationalism and polarised opinion. Much of it comes with an agenda too. I'm bored of it, to be honest. I take in our games then move on. Opposing fans? Who cares what they think.

Klopp winning a trophy? I think I it would do him the world of good, and his talent a lot of justice. I just hope targeting the biggest prizes comes off for him. The man has transformed this club and I love the guy. I want him to win trophies for him, as much as I want him to win them with/for us. I've no doubt he will do, and once the floodgates open... He/we are knocking on the door now, and sooner or later it will open.

The "entitled" shout about us from other fanbases is not really accurate. This is especially so with our older fans who saw us win it all. I was lucky enough to be around to see us winning everything, and I'm not in the least bit entitled. Seeing what it took back then to be top of the tree and stay there taught me a lot. You have to graft for everything you get. You have to make your own luck. You have to be so strong and so consistent. Basically, if you don't work your balls off for success, it doesn't come. Liverpool made it look easy back then, but it's obvious we were like the swan who looked graceful above the water but below it we were peddling like mad and grafting for everything we earned.

Klopp has the squad grafting now, and FSG seem to be doing their part in the boardroom too. We are on the right track and making the kind of progress few thought possible not so long back when the two clowns owned us. We live in an inpatient age, though. We all want it yesterday. It's the way of the world now. Many of our fans have never seen a league title win, so who can blame them wanting it so badly.

Entitled? Not really. We know better than anyone just what it takes to get right to the top of the tree without being gifted endless riches. It takes time and endless hard work. If/when we achieve our goals it will be well deserved and hard earned.

Deluded? Again, not really. We are competing. We have reached Europe's two biggest finals in recent years. We are finally competing in the league and we have not even peaked. And we are up against the most financially doped club in British football history and more than matching them. Believing we have a chance of success here is not delusional at all. In fact, believing otherwise would be negative and defeatist.

Fans of clubs like United, City  and Chelsea saying we are entitled is a bit rich, really, and highly ironic. It's just their way of keeping us in our box. The truth is that our rebirth under Klopp and FSG scares the shit out of them. The fact we are challenging again worries them deeply. Long may that continue...

Great post.  :wellin
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"