Author Topic: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC  (Read 96219 times)

Offline XabiAlonsosBeard

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC
« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2016, 02:42:28 pm »
Please can you do this? 100 players, better than Caulker, and available now...

Not just available now. You also have to include willing to accept minimal game time and sitting on the bench quite a lot in your search criteria.

That this loan doesn't appear to have a future fee term in it really does emphasise the nature of the deal. Short term. To cover an unprecedented injury situation.
Justice for the 96.

Loves a missed penalty!

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2016, 02:43:10 pm »
Well this escalated fast!

Much needed cover at this stage. Goodluck Steven!

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2016, 02:43:16 pm »
Not just available now. You also have to include willing to accept minimal game time and sitting on the bench quite a lot in your search criteria.

That this loan doesn't appear to have a future fee term in it really does emphasise the nature of the deal. Short term. To cover an unprecedented injury situation.

Which surely makes the statement even more ridiculous!
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2016, 02:43:16 pm »
I could list a hundred plus players at this point as there's that many out there better than Caulker.

Go on then lets see the names.

Remember though they have to be available to right now - so turn the clock back 24 hrs and start naming names - ALL OF WHOM must be better than Caulker - This should be interesting

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2016, 02:44:19 pm »
I could list a hundred plus players at this point as there's that many out there better than Caulker.

Our first choice centre halves aren't good enough, we need more than a stop gap, we need a new first choice centre half with those out injured now becoming the back ups. The worrying thing for me is that Klopp has not been allowed to spend money on someone he wants who could address this problem in his first transfer window.
I'm not sure our first choice centre-halves aren't good enough (depending on who you call first choice) and I'm not sure it's an area we need to worry about too much.

Looking at our goals for and goals against it looks pretty obvious to me where we need to concentrate our resources.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2016, 02:45:53 pm »
He is here to add cover so thats ok but screams to me as a committee signing, like most of them. He isn't very good but if called upon then lets hope he can surprise us.

This talk of "committee signing" is an utter nonsense and you need to educate yourself, Killer. Every club has some sort of "committee" structure looking at players, scouting and potential deals. This continual bickering about who signed who is counter productive, banal and a complete waste of bandwidth (for a normally good poster).

You know what Steven Caulker is? A Liverpool Football Club signing, and a short term one at that.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Jules77

• Kopite
  • Spirit of Shankly member
« Reply #246 on: January 12, 2016, 02:47:49 pm »
I'd have liked Matip, but if he's all that's available then fine at least it's just a loan if he's not up to scratch.

I'd rather him than Lllori, enrique or a midfielder in defence. He's got premiership experience and is (currently) fit.

Better than nothing.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: January 12, 2016, 02:48:14 pm »
hello and welcome aboard the good ship lollyklopp
bollocks

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: January 12, 2016, 02:48:36 pm »
This talk of "committee signing" is an utter nonsense and you need to educate yourself, Killer. Every club has some sort of "committee" structure looking at players, scouting and potential deals.

They don't though.

At many clubs managers get free reign to manage and sign players they want. Wenger has it at Arsenal, Ferguson had it at United to name but 2.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #249 on: January 12, 2016, 02:48:50 pm »
Can anyone confirm the rumours that he's pulled his hamstring walking in to Melwood?
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2016, 02:50:00 pm »
just imagine having Caulker at CB against likes of West Ham, Watford or whoever scored against us from set pieces, corners etc. I have a feeling he would have been very useful in those games! Klopp definitely recognizes and has even said in interviews that we suck defending set-pieces. this signing can't get any more practical.

Wish our new short term signing all the best! YNWA Stevie C

Offline jwill2127

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp is the man
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2016, 02:50:06 pm »
Of course all clubs have a committee. The scout , manager and person in charge of the money at a  min.
Our support since 2005 is f@@@@@ @@@@

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2016, 02:50:23 pm »
They don't though.

At many clubs managers get free reign to manage and sign players they want. Wenger has it at Arsenal, Ferguson had it at United to name but 2.

You've named two clubs in Europe, and 50% of those managers have retired from football, it is VERY much the norm.

And a very very boring discussion now.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2016, 02:51:28 pm »
Welcome Stevie! Hope you find some form and help us out of this injury crisis!

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2016, 02:51:51 pm »
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2016, 02:53:41 pm »
"A lot of you simply know too much about football. It's much easier to let people like Klopp make the decisions and then judge with your own eyes once the player plays for us"

Les Willis wrote this on the Transfer thread. Just so apt that it needed to be posted here.

Welcome Steve! Show us your Swansea form lad ...
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2016, 02:54:56 pm »
If Paddy McNair can cover at United as he did in the first half of last season, surely we have someone who can. What about Lloyd Jones? Surely we could've recalled him like we did with Ilori and Ward.

Why is there a guarantee we have a young centre-back as good as McNair?
Lloyd Jones struggles to get a game at Blackpool. Are you telling me Caulker would too?
Maybe Klopp has a better idea than you of our youngster's capabilities.

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2016, 02:55:58 pm »
You've named two clubs in Europe, and 50% of those managers have retired from football, it is VERY much the norm.

And a very very boring discussion now.

I could name many more however I only had to name 1 to prove wrong your point that EVERY club has a committee.

Offline Zend...en the clowns

• Legacy Fan
  • Likes BBQ sauce a bit too much..
« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2016, 02:56:43 pm »
Let's give the lad a chance eh?

If Klopp thinks he'll make this situation better, then i'll run with that.

Welcome to Liverpool FC lad where you'll be judged before kicking a ball and then revered as an 'I told you so' hero if you play well.
He posts in the day, he posts in the niiiiiiggghht,
That Zend...en the clowns, his timings just right.

Offline MNAA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2016, 02:58:55 pm »
They don't though.

You have no idea what you are talking about ... Even fucking Brentford has a DoF. The train has left the station a long time ago. Get on board or you'll be left stranded
coitus will occur

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2016, 02:59:10 pm »
Just a reminder to everyone that our last game saw us playing Enrique and Ilori (on the back of not a single first team minute this season) at centre back.

Like some others here I remember Caulker at Swansea. He was superb that season. Has completely lost his way since then but there's talent in there and I can't think of anyone better to try and bring that back out than Jurgen Klopp.

Either way, if you consider him a better centre - back than Enrique he's improved us.

Welcome Steven. Please ignore the bellends and give it your best effort.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2016, 02:59:42 pm »
Lets all be honest here, he's going to pull a hamstring isn't he?
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2016, 03:00:28 pm »
Can anyone confirm the rumours that he's pulled his hamstring walking in to Melwood?
Don't tempt fate lad!

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2016, 03:00:43 pm »
Oh for Daniel Agger - didn't Sammy sign in the January ?

Daniel Agger signed January 2006 and played 4 games that season. He didn't come in and start playing straight away.

Sami signed in the summer of 1999 and was boss straight away.

These 2 are not examples of centre halves who were bought in January and were boss straight away. Martin Skrtel is the best example of a centre half we bought in the January transfer window who came in and played regularly straight away and was also part of the team long term.

Reality is that in Jan it's going to be difficult to buy centre backs you want long term unless you want to throw loads of money at the situation OR the player is playing in a minor European league OR they are completely out of favour at their current club. If they are playing in a minor European League it's likely to be a young player (e.g. Agger) and is likely to need a period of time to acclimatise to a new country, league and higher standard of football.

I understand the transfer strategy of the club has wounded people and everyone has a high degree of skepticism about any signing the club makes. However, this signing is a low cost insurance policy. The club would have looked at long term alternatives but they must have either been unavailable or unaffordable at the moment.

Honest question for the people upset with this signing: who did you want/expect us to sign in January? I'm not overjoyed with the Caulker signing but I'm not seeing many other alternatives either.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline eryder

• Main Stander
  • The end of the match.
« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2016, 03:03:56 pm »
Perhaps Klopp asked if there are any good replacement available backs we could sign. Someone says there is a Caulker availble, and Klopp who understood this to mean a great player said "ok we go for ze Corker"

I'll get my coat.
Billy Beane is not my lover

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2016, 03:04:37 pm »
Caulker was considered as a potential signing under Rodgers wasn't he? The scouting department should be familiar with his attributes.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2016, 03:06:16 pm »
I could name many more however I only had to name 1 to prove wrong your point that EVERY club has a committee.

No, you're wrong. Every single club will have a team of people, feeding information into certain people. Just because it isnt labelled as a 'transfer committee' doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Of course Wenger has a 'committee' helping him with signing, he's managing one of the biggest clubs in world football. If you think he does everything by himself, with no input from anyone else, then you're being massively naive.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: January 12, 2016, 03:06:38 pm »
Perhaps Klopp asked if there are any good replacement available backs we could sign. Someone says there is a Caulker availble, and Klopp who understood this to mean a great player said "ok we go for ze Corker"

I'll get my coat.

;D
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #268 on: January 12, 2016, 03:06:41 pm »
Maybe Klopp has a better idea than you of our youngster's capabilities.

Given Klopp has shown he's not adverse to using young CBs (Hummels and Subotic), I think if he rated what we have in our reserves as good enough to fill-in, then we wouldn't be signing Caulker.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: January 12, 2016, 03:06:55 pm »
Any Klopp comments on the signing ? Would be interested to hear his views.

Offline ArthurDent

• Knows where his towel is!
  • Kopite
« Reply #270 on: January 12, 2016, 03:07:42 pm »
Transfer logic :

There's no-one left, we must do something.

This is something.

Therefore we must do it.

Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.
"Stop thinking about money. Only think about football." Jürgen Klopp 9th Oct 2015.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2016, 03:07:48 pm »
Daniel Agger signed January 2006 and played 4 games that season. He didn't come in and start playing straight away.

Sami signed in the summer of 1999 and was boss straight away.

These 2 are not examples of centre halves who were bought in January and were boss straight away. Martin Skrtel is the best example of a centre half we bought in the January transfer window who came in and played regularly straight away and was also part of the team long term.

Reality is that in Jan it's going to be difficult to buy centre backs you want long term unless you want to throw loads of money at the situation OR the player is playing in a minor European league OR they are completely out of favour at their current club. If they are playing in a minor European League it's likely to be a young player (e.g. Agger) and is likely to need a period of time to acclimatise to a new country, league and higher standard of football.

I understand the transfer strategy of the club has wounded people and everyone has a high degree of skepticism about any signing the club makes. However, this signing is a low cost insurance policy. The club would have looked at long term alternatives but they must have either been unavailable or unaffordable at the moment.

Honest question for the people upset with this signing: who did you want/expect us to sign in January? I'm not overjoyed with the Caulker signing but I'm not seeing many other alternatives either.

I may be wrong but wasn't Agger injured early on and that's why he did not play so much ?

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: January 12, 2016, 03:08:03 pm »
No, you're wrong. Every single club will have a team of people, feeding information into certain people. Just because it isnt labelled as a 'transfer committee' doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Of course Wenger has a 'committee' helping him with signing, he's managing one of the biggest clubs in world football. If you think he does everything by himself, with no input from anyone else, then you're being massively naive.

^ Is Right.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #273 on: January 12, 2016, 03:08:26 pm »
Based on some of the comments you would think we were replacing peak Baresi and Costacurta with Djimi Traore here.

Our options for CB right now are all either struggling for fitness, injured, too old to start consecutive games, not actually CBīs or kids. Our CB options earlier this week were:-
Sakho (injured)
Gomez (Injured)
Skrtel (Injured)
Lovren (Injured)
Toure (unavailable)
Lucas (played <90 minutes in his career at CB)
Ilori (has trained just 40 minutes with the club this season and hasnīt completed 90minutes in a very long time. Looks very raw)
Can (Our best midfielder, looks shaky also at CB)
Maguire (academy left back)
Masterson (17 year old academy kid, nowhere near ready)

Caulker had an excellent season at Swansea just a few years back, as a kid. To say otherwise is revisionism. So he is capable of performing to a high level in this league. Will he? Nobody knows. But are you seriously telling me that right now he isnīt needed? And we can all hope for the best and pronounce that everyone will be fit again in 2 weeks so he wonīt be needed but do any of you really believe that? We are rushing back players from injury and will over play Toure more than his legs can handle in the coming weeks. I donīt see our injury woes just magically stopping without adding another body that offers some relief.

This also could be a very shrewd signing. Most center backs are quite error prone until they get through 50-100 games. Its why you so rarely see them break through at top clubs and usually spend time on loan to get that experience and learn from their howlers on someone elses grass. Caulker is capable of playing at this level, as he has shown in the past. Hopefully he comes to us with experience, a new found confidence and the desire that comes with knowing this is his last shot at this level. This is exactly the sort of deal we have needed even if maybe itīs not the name many of us wanted. Anybody criticising the club for it need their neck winding in, perhaps until there is a crunch.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: January 12, 2016, 03:09:19 pm »
Transfer logic :

There's no-one left, we must do something.

This is something.

Therefore we must do it. Let's do it, because something is better than nothing.

Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: January 12, 2016, 03:09:45 pm »
Very sensible short-term move. I hope this is a sign that the days of panicked signings are over.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: January 12, 2016, 03:10:37 pm »
Caulker was considered as a potential signing under Rodgers wasn't he? The scouting department should be familiar with his attributes.

Maybe they found Brendan's old note book?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2016, 03:10:46 pm »

Let's first be clear, I don't have anything against Caulker. I hope he's a success for us. Just don't think we should have gone for that kind of solution, when we have our senior CBs coming back soon enough.

To answer your question: I want(ed) us to sign first picks. Players for the first team. A keeper, a CB, or a player for more or less for any position. What I didn't want us to do was sign yet another player for the squad, one who could be good to have around, just in case. We have enough of them. We saw a whole team of them play against Exeter. Nothing wrong with them. Give one or two a chance, with senior players around them and they'll do fine.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #278 on: January 12, 2016, 03:10:57 pm »
Some start for the lad, Arsenal & Manchester United - if he gets through unscathed he may shock a few on here and develop into a decent player for us.

He was decent at Spurs and Cardiff. Personaly think people are annoyed because BR wanted him IIRC.

There could be a player in him, depends I guess.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:13:22 pm by robertobaggio37 »
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline MNAA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: January 12, 2016, 03:11:17 pm »
Franz is getting old how about this up and coming lad called Franco Baresi?
Pah! Francis Benali is miles better ...
coitus will occur