Author Topic: General Rugby Union Thread  (Read 601948 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 - warm-up games and tournament
« Reply #240 on: September 7, 2011, 06:52:16 pm »
Depends on which way you look it at it. Yes they have pressure but they will also have home support which can be vital in the later stages of the competion. Just look at India in the recent cricket world cup.

It can also be a hindrance especially if they don't start well, also no way will the New Zealand fans except anything other than outright domination from their team, they expect to win tournaments as a right.  Graham Henry will be on a hiding to nothing if NZ start anything less than convincing.  Also doesn't his contract end after the world cup, so yet more pressure on him.

"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #241 on: September 7, 2011, 07:02:22 pm »
It can also be a hindrance especially if they don't start well, also no way will the New Zealand fans except anything other than outright domination from their team, they expect to win tournaments as a right.  Graham Henry will be on a hiding to nothing if NZ start anything less than convincing.  Also doesn't his contract end after the world cup, so yet more pressure on him.

I don't think Henry will be around anyway after the World Cup. If they win he leaves on a high and if he loses he will be out of a job anyway. The NZ crowds tend not to get on the players back but the players will certainly be aware of the weight of expectation. The ABs do tend to be amazing at home.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: September 7, 2011, 07:05:17 pm »
In himself don't think he wants to continue beyond that anyway, so no real pressure really, the ABs will make a new start after the tournament regardless.

Think over the years the NZ public are not really expectant as they've been taught not to be, and although there'll be a disappointment, recent events in CHCH have given people over there perspective, and most just hope the WC goes well.

A bit of a shock early on may well ground the team and focus them more, the last WC they breezed through then weren't hardened enough for the French.

Ged won't be letting that happen now.
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: September 7, 2011, 07:10:36 pm »
Right then Jill – time to nail my colours to the mast:

New Zealand are the team to beat and have home advantage
South Africa have a decent World Cup pedigree
Australia look like they have a lot of exciting talent
France have a chance and have reached a final in NZ before
England if they win their group will play sides they don’t fear
Wales if they get out of their group without getting beaten up would fancy their chances too

So sticking my neck out, the winner will come from this select group of 6 nations. That’s a pretty brave call isn’t it?!

While I hope I’m wrong and think England do have a sniff of making the final if they win turn their games into an arm wrestle I’ll play it safe and say it will be a New Zealand v Australia final with…Australia winning, just for the comedy value!

PS – The shame with the Rugby World Cup is that with the exception of one group you pretty much know the make up of the quarters now. The only question is whether France could shock NZ, Wales shock SA or Ireland shock Australia which would at least mix up the draw a bit. It’s only the England/Argentina/Scotland group where there is much doubt about who will qualify.

Well in Nick.

Agree with most of your points, think Australia v NZ is the most likely outcome.  Just have a feeling that one of the big teams will go out in the pools, maybe France will surprise the home team, Henry has got so much pressure riding on him particularly taking into account what happened in 2007.  Having said that it is unlikely, also I expect that one of the South sea island teams will beat somebody big in the group stages, should also be fascinating to see how Italy do, as they are really improving as was shown in the Six Nations earlier on. I'm sticking with the notion something unexpected always happens in a world cup, I just hope not at the expense of England!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: September 7, 2011, 07:13:34 pm »
In himself don't think he wants to continue beyond that anyway, so no real pressure really, the ABs will make a new start after the tournament regardless.

Think over the years the NZ public are not really expectant as they've been taught not to be, and although there'll be a disappointment, recent events in CHCH have given people over there perspective, and most just hope the WC goes well.

A bit of a shock early on may well ground the team and focus them more, the last WC they breezed through then weren't hardened enough for the French.

Ged won't be letting that happen now.

How is his relationship with the media in New Zealand out of interest?

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: September 7, 2011, 07:37:24 pm »
How is his relationship with the media in New Zealand out of interest?

Not bad, as I say, although there is an expectation out there, they are nowhere near as rabid as the UK press, or those in Aussie to be honest, and Ged is not really under that much pressure as he's off after this whatever happens, think Smith may be in after the cup.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: September 7, 2011, 07:50:13 pm »
I think the All Blacks will bottle it again because being at home they are under even more pressure this time.

Bit more to it than that really.

Think the 2007/1995 are the two most obvious ones people hold against the ABs, as the other cups they were between teams and just not up to it

1995 with Lomu, they just relied on him too much, tactically naive by Mains, and the Saffers shut him down, no plan B
2007 Planned badly for the French, bad decision, no dropped goal, out. Tactically bad again.
Nobody really bottled, never put themselves in positions to try.

Better decision makers making better decisions in the crucial positions, this can be planned and sorted.

Having said that, always rated Deans as a coach, by passed for the AB job, he would love to come back to NZ and vindicate himself

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: September 7, 2011, 07:52:07 pm »
don't know why but i've got a funny feeling that france will get to the final

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: September 7, 2011, 07:57:36 pm »

On their day, mate, on their day

Got a few quid e/w on them and Aussie, much as I hate to admit.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #249 on: September 7, 2011, 08:24:57 pm »

I'm with ya on that.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #250 on: September 7, 2011, 08:29:30 pm »
Absolutely buzzing for this :D Just gutted I wont be there like the last one!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Cre_mCr_cker

• Green A_my!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: September 7, 2011, 08:56:26 pm »
Love the RWC, went to New Zealand v France at the Millenium Stadium in 2007, great atmosphere and an incredible game of rugby.
This is a Liverpool forum. We are not talking about Demba Ba's cock.

My feet are wet but my cups are bone dry! Everything's comin' up Milhouse!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: September 7, 2011, 09:38:40 pm »
Love the RWC, went to New Zealand v France at the Millenium Stadium in 2007, great atmosphere and an incredible game of rugby.
That game was the defensive flipside of the 99 match, but just as dramatic, including 38 tackles (more than the whole All Black team) by Thierry Dusautoir, including one, around the the thighs, that cut Jerry Collins in half, and virtually ended his test career, and the careers of several All Blacks.

Epic stuff. The 99 game is the best game I've ever seen

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #253 on: September 7, 2011, 09:45:19 pm »
I bet heavily on England in the last 2 world cups and won a lot of money, be doing the same this time round, I think Saint Jonny is gonna surprise a lot of people. Play ugly, win ugly.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline RotoruaRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #254 on: September 7, 2011, 11:06:56 pm »
Auckland update.

I work about 150m from where the whole bloody thing is going to start and a day out it is building up quickly. In fact tomorrow afternoon is going to be bedlam here in downtown Auckland. How the fukc I am going to get home tomorrow is beyond me......like to trying find a cheerful blue. The pressure is on at work and everyone is putting their colours on.....me, I have  a black Liverpool shirt.......suits me fine sir.

Have to admit I don't like Rugby , I find rugby league a far better game to watch but I can't see anybody getting near the AB's this year. And whilst NZ do find ways to choke at the latter stages I have the feeling that there is something different this year in their approach and they are ready.

I do hope they choke though as it gives me some fun winding up the Kiwis who  are already easy to reel in when discussing the All Black chokers.

If I do get home early was just discussing the missus and we are going to get our Sea Kayaks out and paddle down the harbour to the waterfront as it does promise to be quite a show and at the moment the weather looks ok , a tidy swell running and little wind.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: September 7, 2011, 11:08:23 pm »
I bet heavily on England in the last 2 world cups and won a lot of money, be doing the same this time round, I think Saint Jonny is gonna surprise a lot of people. Play ugly, win ugly.
Haha at least you're honest with yourself.

royhendo

« Reply #256 on: September 8, 2011, 07:46:36 am »
Woohoo! Looking forward to this.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #257 on: September 8, 2011, 07:50:01 am »
I am in Edinburgh for England v Scotland. The Derby at woodison is on the same day, will that be an early kick off? I'm going to be ruined before the wedding even starts!

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #258 on: September 8, 2011, 08:35:08 am »
Haha at least you're honest with yourself.
hoping for England vs France and England vs Australia games, should win big on both as both will bottle it against England, if England play the Saffas, I'd have to bet on the Saffas.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #259 on: September 8, 2011, 09:12:17 am »
can't say i follow SH Rugby too closely but surely this is the All Blacks year. Even accounting for the previous failures and huge pressures from playing at home, I'd be surprised if they didn't make the final and go on to win it.

these early morning weekend KOs might kill me though  :boring

btw, if anyone is heading to NZ for the world cup (or if you know someone who is), I've put together a quick guide of what to do and see in and around the host sities on my travel website:

http://www.frontiersoftravel.com/rugby_world_cup_travel.php

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #260 on: September 8, 2011, 09:28:48 am »
Cueto out injured to Armitage starts on the wing. Wigglesworth at scrum half, Tuilagi playes, Wilkinson and fly half. On the whole I'm happy enough with that although you'd have got long odds on this being the starting line up during the Six Nations!...

England: Ben Foden, Chris Ashton, Manu Tuilagi, Mike Tindall (captain), Delon Armitage, Jonny Wilkinson, Richard Wigglesworth, Andrew Sheridan, Steve Thompson, Dan Cole, Louis Deacon, Courtney Lawes, Tom Croft, James Haskell, Nick Easter.

Replacements: Dylan Hartley, Matt Stevens, Tom Palmer, Tom Wood, Ben Youngs, Toby Flood, Matt Banahan.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: September 8, 2011, 09:55:04 am »
hoping for England vs France and England vs Australia games, should win big on both as both will bottle it against England, if England play the Saffas, I'd have to bet on the Saffas.
Hey I'm not going to argue. I could see us going down to your lot for sure, we just shouldn't.  :P

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: September 8, 2011, 01:34:08 pm »
france vs new zealand 1999 semi final full game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzuyAwxo2qE

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #263 on: September 8, 2011, 01:37:51 pm »
france vs new zealand 1999 semi final full game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzuyAwxo2qE

Have never been able to bring myself to watch that game again. Probably never will.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #264 on: September 8, 2011, 01:40:21 pm »
Have never been able to bring myself to watch that game again. Probably never will.

Unreal wasn't it? I remember watching it at a mate who was at uni in Swansea. I left at half time as I had to catch a bus home, missed the bus so walked backto his place and France were winning. Who was the French winger who was shit scared of Lomu but managed to score a couple - Domenici?

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #265 on: September 8, 2011, 01:46:54 pm »
Unreal wasn't it? I remember watching it at a mate who was at uni in Swansea. I left at half time as I had to catch a bus home, missed the bus so walked backto his place and France were winning. Who was the French winger who was shit scared of Lomu but managed to score a couple - Domenici?

Yeah, some French bloke. The only thing that made me proud to be a Kiwi that day was Lomu congratulating all the French players as they bounced off the pitch. Class on and off the pitch.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: September 8, 2011, 02:18:02 pm »
I think they will have learnt from that game. Going through around 20+ phases in a futile attempt to win a penalty while turning down several drop goal opportunities was tactically naive. I think they would not make the same mistakes again.
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: September 8, 2011, 02:22:34 pm »
I think they will have learnt from that game. Going through around 20+ phases in a futile attempt to win a penalty while turning down several drop goal opportunities was tactically naive. I think they would not make the same mistakes again.

Well it'd be funny, but yes, you'd imagine they have done.  Apparently Jonny Wilkinson kicked more drop goals in 2003 than the All Blacks have done in the entire professional era.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: September 8, 2011, 02:25:15 pm »
Apparently Jonny Wilkinson kicked more drop goals in 2003 than the All Blacks have done in the entire professional era.

amazing stat.

looking forward to the double haka tomorrow!  ;)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #269 on: September 8, 2011, 02:26:16 pm »

That was 2007, think Gojedo was haunted more by 1999. Or did they butcher drop goal opportunities there too?

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
« Reply #270 on: September 8, 2011, 02:46:20 pm »
amazing stat.

looking forward to the double haka tomorrow!  ;)
Oh how could I forget!!!! Cannot wait for this now
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: September 8, 2011, 07:20:09 pm »
Really hope England can get Ben Youngs up and running, as he really offers something a bit different at scrum-half, just hoping his injury hasn't prevented him from playing to his full potential. I am not at all convinced by Wigglesworth. But hopefully that team should be good enough for the opening game.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: September 8, 2011, 07:40:17 pm »
That was 2007, think Gojedo was haunted more by 1999. Or did they butcher drop goal opportunities there too?
Oops, that's what comes of half reading posts whilst half watching TV whilst talking to the missus and trying to amuse the dog...Should have paid more attention.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #273 on: September 8, 2011, 08:13:17 pm »
Oops, that's what comes of half reading posts whilst half watching TV whilst talking to the missus and trying to amuse the dog...Should have paid more attention.

Easily done. I always get your defeats to Samoa mixed up too. The first one was just Western Samoa right? ;)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #274 on: September 8, 2011, 08:15:19 pm »
*sigh I hate living in America.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: September 8, 2011, 09:33:24 pm »
Easily done. I always get your defeats to Samoa mixed up too. The first one was just Western Samoa right? ;)
Yeah, and it was a good job we weren't playing the whole of Samoa ;) ;D

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: September 8, 2011, 09:35:21 pm »
goodbye sleep pattern. see you in 7 weeks!

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #277 on: September 8, 2011, 09:37:33 pm »
goodbye sleep pattern. see you in 7 weeks!

I started the process of alterin' mine two weeks ago. Rarin' to go now  ;D

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #278 on: September 8, 2011, 10:04:14 pm »
I started the process of alterin' mine two weeks ago. Rarin' to go now  ;D

Spot the lads without kids. These kick offs are positively mid morning for me!

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: September 8, 2011, 10:11:06 pm »
Spot the lads without kids. These kick offs are positively mid morning for me!
I have put all the games and KO times on a spreadsheet and highlighted the games I want to see/watch live or record...