Author Topic: So, you're a Red, but why?  (Read 88807 times)

Offline Des Lynam

• Left at half-time
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hi, Des here.
Re: So, you're a Red, but why?
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2006, 08:51:54 pm »
back in 1968(i was 8) one sunday looking through the papers i decided it was
time to support a football team.closed my eyes,moved my finger down the page,stopped,opened my eyes,my finger was on liverpool. true story.

This is the kind of stuff that depresses me. No offence to you, mate. I'm sure you're a nice fella. But still...
I should have been at work. Make of that what you will.

Offline andeeeee

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2006, 08:52:12 pm »
primary school , monday after 77 fa cup final , red fans having a rough time from the M4nure fans , just had to join in and still hate them bstards too this day.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2006, 08:54:49 pm »
Sunburn.

Offline londonscouse56

• RAOTL's Pearly King
  • Main Stander
« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2006, 09:28:55 pm »
In the early 60's i was a Spurs fan cos they were the best but when Liverpool started winning things in '64 I switched to them. In '68 after Man U won the European Cup I became a fan of theirs (although I very nearly changed to City after the '69 FA Cup final). When Man U got relegated in '73 Ajax were the best team in Europe so I followed them until '77 when I went back to supporting Liverpool again. That lasted until the mid 80's when I switched over to AC Milan cos English teams were out of Europe. During most of the 90's I kept switching between Arsenal and Man U, I just couldn't make my mind up between the two, I loved them both the same. In 2001 I once again came back to Liverpool where I stayed until the "special one" took over at Chelsea and I started to support them. That one didn't even last the season! as I switched back to Liverpool half way through the Champions league semi-final at Anfield. What a good decision that was, although I almost certainly would have changed back again had Gudjohnssons shot gone in right at the end. Right now I am still a Liverpool supporter and I can't wait for the season to begin, to see who has the best start, when I might switch again. Sometimes I even forget who I'm supporting and actually jump up and cheer a goal scored against my team, silly me.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2006, 09:47:11 pm »
Sunburn.
;D
You do have one of those pale complexions that lend themselves to sunburn, I'm not surprised.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2006, 09:51:51 pm »
I went through all the fansites of football teams, and RAWK was my favourite. So I support Liverpool.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline lawrie

• Legacy Fan
  • Done the treble
« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2006, 10:05:40 pm »
My dad was a (Reds) scouser to the core. he met my mum in Blackpool and when they married he moved to her home town (Rochdale) because his job prospects were better. Of course he coached me well in the ways of all things red and like most on here my allegiance was never in qustion. Unfortunately (and I don't want you to feel sorry for me) I was born and raised just twelve miles north of Manchester. Most of my school mates were mancs, my ex-boss was a manc and I sort of.... well married a Manc. This doesnt really count though as I think he only supports the Mancs to annoy me and like most Mancs he doesnt really like football at all and only watches his team if they're in a final. So there I've admitted it and I'm now damned on here for ever.

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2006, 10:12:40 pm »
Me dad-the only red in a family of Evertonians.
His first game was in 1938 and he still  goes to the occassional game.
Which poses another  question-who is LFC'S longest serving "match goer"?

Offline cornish exile

• Kopite
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2006, 10:12:42 pm »
This is the kind of stuff that depresses me. No offence to you, mate. I'm sure you're a nice fella. But still...

what are you talking about.why are you depressed.go  and see a doctor and take some tablets.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" – -- Unknown

Offline Buffstar

• Legacy Fan
  • This is how you Train the Red Way!!!!
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2006, 10:15:45 pm »
Because my mum was born birkenhead and has always supported Liverpool. I had the choice of Arsenal or Liverpool.
FREE MICHAEL SHIELDS
100% INNOCENT

Offline RumDrinker

• Kopite
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2006, 10:28:30 pm »
pfft you 70/80s Scouse glory hunters aint got nothing on me.

I'm a 19 year old Irish wool what started supporting Liverpool in the early 1990s, at the back end of Souness' stint as "manager".
I have the body of an eighteen year old. In my fridge.

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2006, 10:45:36 pm »
In the early 60's i was a Spurs fan cos they were the best but when Liverpool started winning things in '64 I switched to them.....

The bait is in the water, on a nice shiny hook. Is there any movement at the float? A nibble maybe?

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2006, 10:51:17 pm »
I get asked this all the time up here.

Well, my brother is a lot older than me, and around 1973, when I was 5, he was in the Merchant Navy and spent a lot oftime in the Liverpool area. He became a fan, and went to Anfield whenever he could, and like big brothers do, he we would post up programmes and bring me home strips.

I was made to watch Match Of The Day when he was at a game by my mum and dad to see if we could see him on The Kop! :-\

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #173 on: July 29, 2006, 01:44:36 am »
"The bait is in the water, on a nice shiny hook. Is there any movement at the float? A nibble maybe?"

Ok, since no one else will, like a fool I'll rise to it then...Gluggagloop

Sadly, for some of us old lags, we perhaps see and hear of too much of this sort of  "pick 'n' mix"  support these days and shake our heads in dismay, though it's only to be expected given the intense marketing pressures and requirements on our society for instant gratification and results, so perhaps we shouldn't get too upset by it.
I guess what probably mildly grates with some of the readers about some of these replies is the apparent declarations about swapping of allegiances according to current success. I know it sounds a bit nationalistic, something that as a good Scouser I normally deplore, but it seems to me like some people are saying the equivalent of  "I supported England when we won the world cup in 66, but I support Italy now that they have won it"...it all sounds a bit nomarky and wank to me. I mean, can you imagine a Scouse born Liverpool/Everton supporter swapping their allegiance like that? NFW!
It's not that I believe it's mandatory to have been born in Liverpool to be an avid true LFC supporter, my son being a case in point, but if your of a certain age and a Scouser born and bred, I think you probably only really had four options as a kid.  LFC, EFC, Rugby(usually the preserve of the woollybacks and Ruperts) or some kind of "interesting" pursuit like competitive synchronized knitting. As for anyone else in the rest of the UK or the World who supports LFC, I honestly welcome and congratulate you on your good taste and perception in joining us Scousers in supporting the best football team in the world with the best supporters (and in RAWK, the best website). All I ask, is to just remember that the most important thing is that support is meant to be through the bad times, as well as the good. It's what it's all about. Dead straight! And trust me, I've got a feeling that it's about to become really good again.

BTW No word of a lie, but passed through passport control at Schipol last Sunday and all the man with the gun said after examining my passport was "Liverpool or Everton".  Without hesitation, like Pavlov's dog, I replied "Liverpool". He said "Ok".  We are everywhere!
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2006, 01:58:35 am »
"The bait is in the water, on a nice shiny hook. Is there any movement at the float? A nibble maybe?"

<snip>
All I ask, is to just remember that the most important thing is that support is meant to be through the bad times, as well as the good. It's what it's all about. Dead straight! And trust me, I've got a feeling that it's about to become really good again.

Gulleysucker - nice one: took the bait, slipped the hook, and swam away..in style.

Offline tOrnike

• Anny Roader
    • myspace.com/tornike
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2006, 02:15:20 am »
I'm from Georgia (and not the US state but the republic) so the chance of my dad being a Red would always be minimal. I chose Liverpool after a long period of watching, analyzing, thinking about team's philosophy, motivation, supporters, etc. Even during the hardest periods I've never had a moment when I would think Liverpool weren't my team. My heartbeat begins to go faster some 20 minutes before our match  and doesn't calm down for half an hour after the final whistle; I can't eat or drink while watching our team, I can't watch it with loads of people, prefer to sit alone and catch every moment of our game, every movement of our players, every wave of Scousers' singing and chanting. I'm the biggest and most passionate Liverpool fan in Georgia.

What a post ;D

hoonin

« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2006, 03:20:12 am »
Gulleysucker - nice one: took the bait, slipped the hook, and swam away..in style.

Aye. Beautifully done 8)

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2006, 05:07:14 am »
My Mum made me..lol

My Aunt was the Blue..well most of the rest of the family were blues.

We moved to the States when I was 6. Into no-mans land where there wasn't any football coverage. But we got the odd paper and I was able to follow the team that way..in the 60'..70...'80's. We would get the odd match on Wide World of Sports like the FA Cup.

I had 2 kits sent to me as a kid from my Gran ( who is buried in Anfield Cemetary) along with a couple scarves.

With the advent of the internet, explosion of cable television (and now satellite dish), I can follow the Reds wherever I go.

First match ever attended..West Ham feb. 1999..saw God and Owen both score..but we drew 2-2. Match took 10 minutes it seemed..just flew by. I found out it's hard to sing YNWA with tears in your eyes...as only a first timer to Anfield can relate to that. I get by now..just.

My son is fully indoctrinated.. as one does.. ;D
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2006, 06:12:34 am »

Sadly, for some of us old lags, we perhaps see and hear of too much of this sort of  "pick 'n' mix"  support these days and shake our heads in dismay, though it's only to be expected given the intense marketing pressures and requirements on our society for instant gratification and results, so perhaps we shouldn't get too upset by it.
I guess what probably mildly grates with some of the readers about some of these replies is the apparent declarations about swapping of allegiances according to current success. I know it sounds a bit nationalistic, something that as a good Scouser I normally deplore, but it seems to me like some people are saying the equivalent of  "I supported England when we won the world cup in 66, but I support Italy now that they have won it"...it all sounds a bit nomarky and wank to me. I mean, can you imagine a Scouse born Liverpool/Everton supporter swapping their allegiance like that? NFW!
It's not that I believe it's mandatory to have been born in Liverpool to be an avid true LFC supporter, my son being a case in point, but if your of a certain age and a Scouser born and bred, I think you probably only really had four options as a kid.  LFC, EFC, Rugby(usually the preserve of the woollybacks and Ruperts) or some kind of "interesting" pursuit like competitive synchronized knitting. As for anyone else in the rest of the UK or the World who supports LFC, I honestly welcome and congratulate you on your good taste and perception in joining us Scousers in supporting the best football team in the world with the best supporters (and in RAWK, the best website). All I ask, is to just remember that the most important thing is that support is meant to be through the bad times, as well as the good. It's what it's all about. Dead straight! And trust me, I've got a feeling that it's about to become really good again.

BTW No word of a lie, but passed through passport control at Schipol last Sunday and all the man with the gun said after examining my passport was "Liverpool or Everton".  Without hesitation, like Pavlov's dog, I replied "Liverpool". He said "Ok".  We are everywhere!

superbly put,i can understand anyone being a glory hunter but i feel pity for the mediocrity hunters at goodison puke,sorry park,somebody must help them.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2006, 07:06:18 am »
me and my family are born and bread in notts, between us we have 4 season tickets..

Do ya like that!!!

the question was asked of des why he was depressed and was it down to glory hunters or what?i do get pissed off trying to get tickets but this is more to do with the inability of the club in building a new stadium and wondering how they will allocate tickets.ie locality or amount customer(not fan)will spend in liverworld.i think i know what the answer will be.i have no problem with any glory hunters or oot fans.because it means MY club are the most succesful in the country.this thread at least has given reds a chance to tell there reasons(however dodgy) of why they love the reds.i dont know how old you are or youre reasons for supporting lfc are but if youre my age (36) i seem to remember forest doing quite well once, do they still have glory hunters?

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2006, 07:09:30 am »
I support them cos they are doing so well

I used to support MAn U and have supported Everton and Forest before

I don't think there's anyting wrong with that is there? My dad was the same - he said to me "son, you only have to support the most successful team at the time" and that's what I do
@johnbuckels

Offline cambridgered

• Boys Pen
« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2006, 07:10:01 am »
once a red always a red i say. went to watch a game at highbury and fell in love with them . supported them ever since.

( i mean who could resist)

Offline Crouchie Red

• Kopite
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2006, 07:34:33 am »
I don’t have scouse blood, or any relative from England and my first language is not English! Never been to England let alone to Liverpool (Some day...).  LFC found me not I chose it. I don’t remember what the first game I watched on telly.

I don’t know if I am called glory haunter or not. But I like to think I am a very passionate LFC supporter.  I didn’t know Liverpool FC was the most decorated club in all of England, the best supported club and simply the best when I first supported it.  It was during Roy Even, than Houllier regimes.  The league table said 5-7.  How’s that for glory hunting! Might be easy to support Manc but I never be tempted.

There’s something about Liverpool that stir the blood and gladden the heart. I don’t know how to explain, the close to say is when everytimes I hear YNWA sang from the heart, when you lose a game, it is that feeling.  That we might be lost but we never give up. Something special…Win or lose.  Liverpool Forever.
Thank you Rafa for all the memories. You'll Never Walk Alone either. - 02 June 2010

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2006, 08:11:49 am »
I don’t have scouse blood, or any relative from England and my first language is not English! Never been to England let alone to Liverpool (Some day...).  LFC found me not I chose it. I don’t remember what the first game I watched on telly.

I don’t know if I am called glory haunter or not. But I like to think I am a very passionate LFC supporter.  I didn’t know Liverpool FC was the most decorated club in all of England, the best supported club and simply the best when I first supported it.  It was during Roy Even, than Houllier regimes.  The league table said 5-7.  How’s that for glory hunting! Might be easy to support Manc but I never be tempted.

There’s something about Liverpool that stir the blood and gladden the heart. I don’t know how to explain, the close to say is when everytimes I hear YNWA sang from the heart, when you lose a game, it is that feeling.  That we might be lost but we never give up. Something special…Win or lose.  Liverpool Forever.

can't argue wiyh that lad.well said

Offline londonscouse56

• RAOTL's Pearly King
  • Main Stander
« Reply #184 on: July 29, 2006, 08:26:43 am »

;) ;)

Offline cricket

• Anny Roader
« Reply #185 on: July 29, 2006, 08:43:58 am »
It`s just in me BLOOD!

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: July 29, 2006, 10:08:56 am »
I was born in Newcastle and still live in Northumberland - no logical affinity to Liverpool.

In the late sixties ( yes I'm that old ), my dad took me to St.James for my first ever match. It was against Liverpool.

I remember being mesmerised by the red shirts, the players seemed immense compared with those in black n white - so Shanks was right with his theory on the all red strip. A guy behind us complained that Liverpool had more than 11 players on the pitch. At that age you don't understand irony so I spend the second half counting red shirts - he was right I counted 15! (I subsequently failed my 11 plus!)

Liverpool won 2-0. St John and Roger Hunt scored.

And from that day to this.........

Apart from the family - lifes greatest moments, and tragedies have been spent in the company of LFC. Thanks Dad.

Offline JonnyTwoTimes

• Two Times. A good fella.
  • Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #187 on: July 29, 2006, 10:26:02 am »
Good question.

My dad was a fanatical Leeds fan and used to let me watch all the matches on TV.

When i was 3 my favorite colour was red. When my mum brought me to the shops one day i asked if i could get some socks, shorts and a shirt to play football in the garden.  I picked red socks, red shorts and a red top. I then started supporting liverpool as they had the same strip as the one i picked out and i was really impressed with the liverbird, i thought it looked amazing, like some kind of powerful  mythical Phoenix or dragon.

No one in my family supported liverpool. None of my friends supported liverpool. I didn't have friends who supported liverpool until i was 8.

When my brother was born his favorite colour was blue, so he started supporting everton. So i enjoyed kicking him in the garden every day and rubbing the 1989 fa cup final is in face. Thankfully he gave up supporting them when he was 10 and doesn't support anyone now.

I love the club, it means as much to me as anything else in my life. I cant imagine what my life would be like if i hadnt supported liverpool. Its impossible. I cant wait to have children of my own, so i can pass on my love and passion for the club and ensure they reap the benefits of falling in love with LFC.

:wave
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 10:47:57 am by burymeinmyliverpoolshirt »

Offline davey1978

• Kemlynite
  • We had dreams and songs to sing.
« Reply #188 on: July 29, 2006, 11:07:00 am »
me and my family are born and bread in notts, between us we have 4 season tickets..

Do ya like that!!!

No, yer slack jawed twat!

Go and fuck off yer tight wearin, bow firin' c*nt yer and leave the tickets to the rest of us!

We had dreams and songs to sing.

Offline LFC Boy

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #189 on: July 29, 2006, 11:20:20 am »
well, considring im from Bahrain there's no way me dad passed to me the love of liverpool. It was 1998 when i saw Michael Owen kick the crap out of the arggie defence, i really liked the guy so i followed him in liverpool and im forever grateful to Owen cuz he was the reason im so damn in love with this club head over heels.

Offline Hattori Hanzo

• Thinks people playing with lego shouldn't throw stones.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: July 29, 2006, 11:53:27 am »
im so damn in love with this club head over heels.

Awwwww, you little cutie pie

Offline RedVash

• Legacy Fan
  • ...through the storm...
« Reply #191 on: July 29, 2006, 12:34:56 pm »
Sunburn.

ah ah ah!!! simply fantastic answer!!!
RED is not a colour.
RED is a way of life.

Offline Des Lynam

• Left at half-time
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hi, Des here.
« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2006, 12:51:22 pm »

what are you talking about.why are you depressed.go  and see a doctor and take some tablets.

I'm not even gonna bother explaining why I feel "depressed" in respects your comments. A) You wouldn't even begin to understand, and B) I can't be arsed.

I should have been at work. Make of that what you will.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #193 on: July 29, 2006, 01:14:29 pm »
Born on Merseyside, and pretty much all my family had supported Liverpool since the early 1900's, some to the point of utter obsession. I was also lucky enough that the time I really began to get interested in football also coincided with the start of Paisley's glory years. When the first season you can remember fully is 1976-77, you're hardly going to switch to Everton or Utd just because a few of your mates support them...

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2006, 01:30:10 pm »
Apart from the family - lifes greatest moments, and tragedies have been spent in the company of LFC. Thanks Dad.

I'd just like to add that I totally agree with that. It's all been a wonderful saga, and the journey continues.....

Offline the invisible man

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
« Reply #195 on: July 29, 2006, 02:05:29 pm »
hello Hunts Cross

you looking for tommo from .tv ;D 8)

TIM
t.i.m...

Offline kopite jack

• Main Stander
« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2006, 02:07:42 pm »
I'm a red cause all the other teams are shit since i was born. my first words were "FUCK OFF EVERTON.. that's our European cup" it's been in the family from both sides off the family and passed down. now it's my turn to pas it on to my niece with the new home kit ;D and there's no team worth to be chanted aloud apart from liverpool it's just natural.
RTK

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2006, 02:21:09 pm »
I'm not even gonna bother explaining why I feel "depressed" in respects your comments. A) You wouldn't even begin to understand, and B) I can't be arsed.

Those who know.....know.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Sean Mac Eggman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #198 on: July 30, 2006, 12:45:51 pm »
all the family are,so it was drilled into me from day -9months to be red
Twitter - RandomBaghead

Offline Sweet Silver Song

• Rotation, rotation, rotation....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Proud not to be a hypocrite...
« Reply #199 on: July 30, 2006, 02:25:36 pm »
I'm from London and became a Liverpool fan in the 70's at the height of their glory years. Which was great. But being associated with all the glory wasn't my real motivation. As an impressionable 8 year old I wanted to deny some local from seeing his team. Nothing gave me more motivation than to see some of the local fans locked out of Anfield and denied the opportunity of following their side. It was great. When I got older I used to get a real thrill seeing the sold out signs at Anfield for matches, it meant that  some poor local couldn't get in, whilst I could. Mind, throughout the 90's when we were having a poor time of it, the sold out sign was only put up for the big games, it was seldom seen for a home game against poor relegation fodder, and definitely not if it were a mid week game, or even an early game in the champions league group stages. When I was at Anfield for the game against Monoco in 2004, which was at the start of the CL winning campaign, there were loads of empty seats, and I spent the whole game wondering where all the local supporters were that were always moaning that they couldn't get any tickets. It really puzzled me. All the time I have been to see the reds I have made sure I have got behind the side, and it always surprised me how some of the locals (that weren't denied tickets, and somehow manged to sneak in) always seem to moan and never get behind the team. Still, I call them local, but that is assuming there aren't any other teams more closer to where they were born or grew up than Liverpool. I know there are quite a few non league and amateur sides in Liverpool that could be supported as their "local" side, but I suspect that the real reason they support Liverpool, is that their glory hunters themselves. Just like me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 02:30:09 pm by Sweet Silver Song »
*With such simplicity the European cup is won.
**Sour-ness, will he get a shot? Now Dalglish...across the face of the goaaaalllll!
***Alan Kennedy!...He goes on...he scores!
****Liverpool need a Grobbelaar save...or a Conti miss. They've got a Conti miss!
*****And Liverpool have won it! They're back...outsiders all the way...