Author Topic: New Tyres  (Read 7650 times)

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
New Tyres
« on: June 26, 2005, 11:36:44 am »
Anybody recomend some tyres for a VW Golf GTI Turbo, wheel size 205/55/16
Also anybody know any good site online for getting them, have a mate who can fit them so just need the tyres!

Cheers

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
Re: New Tyres
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 11:56:49 am »
I get all my tyres from www.Blackcircles.com, always the cheapest I can find, and will deliver in a couple of days either to yourself, your mate or a garage for fitting.

Not sure what tyres to recommend, I would have a look at a VW Golf GTi forum on the Internet and search on recommended tyres.  Good tyres for one model may not be great on another, so I can't recomend the Continental Sport Contact tyres I have on my Leon Cupra, although they are bloody fantastic (also 205/55/15 V rated)
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 01:01:15 pm »
Cheers Lee,

Only changing tyres as I am selling the GTI and existing ones are borderline. Getting a Leon Cupra R with 225bhp!
Dont fancy chenging the tyres on that beast soon, 225/40/18's! Ouch

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 01:34:15 pm »
I got Vredestein Sportrac II for mine in the 215/55/16.They won AutoExpress best tyre award last year and I have no complaints and they also have rim protectors which are very worthwhile having.Another online site that is cheap is www.mytyres.co.uk and I get all mine from here.

Michelin Pilot Sport or Primacy are  a good tyre as is the Continental Premium Contact.

I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 01:50:42 pm »
Michelin Pilot Sport

I wouldn't...

(click it to expand)

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 02:45:42 pm »
Anybody recomend some tyres for a VW Golf GTI Turbo, wheel size 205/55/16
Also anybody know any good site online for getting them, have a mate who can fit them so just need the tyres!

Cheers

the ones i nicked off your car might be ok.....
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline REDGIRL2

• Orthographically Challenged
  • Kopite
  • Am The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 02:46:27 pm »
the ones i nicked off your car might be ok.....

LOL!!
You Cant Handle Me

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 03:14:18 pm »
Anyone recommend a good tyre for a 998cc L Reg Nissan Micra "Dot"? My rear tyre on the driver's side is getting a bit bald. ;D
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 03:17:41 pm »
El Presidente was very happy now he had gone up in the motoring world...

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 03:20:07 pm »
El Presidente was very happy now he had gone up in the motoring world...

;D

I'll have you know I got my beast up to 96mph last night... Mario likes the warm evening air.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 03:22:06 pm »
;D

I'll have you know I got my beast up to 96mph last night... Mario likes the warm evening air.

You'd better hope Blurred doesn't get his misquoting hands on that one, Mark  ;)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 03:23:52 pm »
You'd better hope Blurred doesn't get his misquoting hands on that one, Mark  ;)

I actually wrote it as blurred/JBT bait. :wave

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 03:25:06 pm »
I actually wrote it as blurred/JBT bait. :wave

In that case, as you were...  :wave

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 04:09:11 pm »
Only changing tyres as I am selling the GTI and existing ones are borderline. Getting a Leon Cupra R with 225bhp!

Jammy bastard, you won't be disappointed.  Mine has just the 180 bhp and that's plenty, the 225 R has better suspension, steering and brakes, making it a much better handling car, not just more powerful.  It's going to be a collectors classic too, mark my words.

(oh, and if you drive it in a fun sort of way, get ready to shell out mega bucks on tyres, I am on my 3rd set of fronts after 50k.  It came with Pirelli's, which are rubbish on the Leon, I tried Toyos, better, but the Continentals have been a revelation for dry and wet handling)

We've just bought a 1991 Pug 205 GTi (in red, naturally) and the previous owner has a different tyre brand on each wheel  ::)
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline John Barnes Testicles

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2005, 05:50:23 pm »
get a grip!

Offline Mrfabulous

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2005, 06:00:00 pm »
my tyres cost £20 each
cheap and cheerfuls the way to go

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2005, 06:36:25 pm »
 Goodyear Eagle F1's on mine.

Front: 235/40ZR18
Rears: 265/35ZR18

Dreadin a puncture as just got new rears, and not friggin cheap.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Lee J

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2005, 07:55:48 pm »

I was recommended them but could not find them for R16 so made do with the Continentals (incidentally, they are official sponsors of the Champions League - we also drink Amstel don't you know  ;D  5 new tyres and 5 beers a night  ;))

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2005, 08:06:38 pm »
Got some 195/65 Michelin Primacy on my Golf TDI. Seem to do the job.

:wave

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2005, 08:55:09 pm »

Front: 235/40ZR18
Rears: 265/35ZR18

Dreading a puncture as just got new rears, and not friggin cheap.

Had them on my GTI-6 and thought there grip got worse as they were used.  Now got Toyo proxies which are fantastic in the dry but even better in the wet.  If there good enough for scooby's, evo's and Skylines there good enough for my Alfa.  Also relatively cheap compared to goodyears and Michelin
Oh W**ky W**ky, W**ky W**ky W**ky W**ky Warrington.

Betfair referal code 6TXMVXF6J. £25 free

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2005, 07:59:14 pm »
Sorted now!

Just ordered 4 x Michelin Pilots HX (what the car came with) for less than £280 all in from http://www.mytyres.co.uk

Kwik Fit quoted me near £520 fitted for same tyres. And seeming as mate is fixing them, not bad for £280 (plus a few beers for my mate)

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2005, 05:45:11 am »
Sorted now!

Just ordered 4 x Michelin Pilots HX (what the car came with) for less than £280 all in from http://www.mytyres.co.uk

Kwik Fit quoted me near £520 fitted for same tyres. And seeming as mate is fixing them, not bad for £280 (plus a few beers for my mate)

Of course I will be recieving commision for my advice. ;) ;D
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline thingie

• Kemlynite
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 09:19:36 am »
Cheers Lee,

If you're changing the car soon I would get cheapest tyres from a well known brand you can get for your money, something like Pirelli P6000s. When looking at a second hand car, a set of brand name tyres in good nick indicates that the car has been looked after and the previous owner has spent money on it where nescessary.

If you want good tyre's I'd go for Michelin Pilot or top end Yokohamas.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 09:34:03 am »
Got tired of the old one or just retiring it after a while?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 10:50:21 am »
We've just bought a 1991 Pug 205 GTi (in red, naturally) and the previous owner has a different tyre brand on each wheel  ::)
Oh the memories 8)

Is it the 1.9 or 1.6?

Offline Lee J

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2005, 11:58:29 am »
1.6.   Wanted a 1.9 but got outbid on ebay.

It's just gone into the garagem drive shaft needs replacing and exhaust manifold gasket

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2005, 12:03:32 pm »
1.6.   Wanted a 1.9 but got outbid on ebay.

It's just gone into the garagem drive shaft needs replacing and exhaust manifold gasket
Awwww the 1.9's are tasty motors.

I had one on a "Q" plate in the late nineties and it went like shit of a shovel.

Was always a bit wary though as i never did find out why it was on a "Q"

Offline Lee J

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 12:48:54 pm »

I had one on a "Q" plate in the late nineties and it went like shit of a shovel.

Was always a bit wary though as i never did find out why it was on a "Q"

Q plates were allocated to cars who's age could not be determined.  Not sure how that happens!

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 12:51:07 pm »
Q plates were allocated to cars who's age could not be determined.  Not sure how that happens!

Kit cars, or write-offs that have been unwritten off.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 12:54:07 pm »
Kit cars, or write-offs that have been unwritten off.
Yep.

Hence i was really wary of it.  Had a mechanic mate take a look and he assured me it wasnt a cut and shut.

Never had any major problems thankfully.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2005, 01:11:14 pm »
I have Pirelli P6000s on my 316i and they are the business.  A little expensive but worth it I reckon.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"  George Bernard Shaw

radiofc.com | last.fm | soundcloud | @radiofc

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008, 08:22:13 pm »
Bump.
I get all my tyres from www.Blackcircles.com, always the cheapest I can find, and will deliver in a couple of days either to yourself, your mate or a garage for fitting.

D'yer still recomend  these mate?
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Lee J

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008, 04:27:03 pm »
Bump.D'yer still recomend  these mate?

They are good and very easy to use.  However, my local tyre place (who used to fit the tyres from blackcircles for me) can source the same tyre cheaper so I have stuck with them.  Tunnel Tyres in Birkenhead btw. ;)

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 04:29:17 pm »
They are good and very easy to use.  However, my local tyre place (who used to fit the tyres from blackcircles for me) can source the same tyre cheaper so I have stuck with them.  Tunnel Tyres in Birkenhead btw. ;)
Nice one mate, I might use them(maybe you'll get commision) ;)
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2024, 11:46:44 am »
Question please guys and bear with me.

My offside rear tire got picked up during a service and needed replacing.  It's a 225/50 R17 W.

When I booked the appointment online with Kwikfit, their system picked up I needed a 225/55 R17 W.  I just accepted this.  Seems that when I had a puncture on my nearside rear a year ago and had it replaced at a local Kwikfit, they fitted a 225/55 instead of a 225/50.  So this was my last known tire on Kwikfits records.

Anyway, the mobile technician lad comes out today and says he is unable to fit the 225/55 that was sent due to safety and insurance reasons.

Is this right,  would 2 x 225/55 on the rear and 2 x 225/50 on the front have caused issues?

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2024, 12:31:16 pm »

Not sure what tyres to recommend, I would have a look at a VW Golf GTi forum on the Internet and search on recommended tyres.  Good tyres for one model may not be great on another, so I can't recomend the Continental Sport Contact tyres I have on my Leon Cupra, although they are bloody fantastic (also 205/55/15 V rated)

I use Blackcircles too, it’s a great website.

If you only use your car around town, cheapo tyres will do. If you do motorway stuff it’s worth buying tyres from a well known manufacturer such as Goodyear, Bridgestone, Continental etc. Based on my experience, big brand tyres are better in wet weather conditions.

Justice for the 96!

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2024, 12:33:21 pm »
I'm off to the things that annoy thread.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2024, 12:35:20 pm »

My offside rear tire got picked up during a service and needed replacing.  It's a 225/50 R17 W.

When I booked the appointment online with Kwikfit, their system picked up I needed a 225/55 R17 W.  I just accepted this.  Seems that when I had a puncture on my nearside rear a year ago and had it replaced at a local Kwikfit, they fitted a 225/55 instead of a 225/50.  So this was my last known tire on Kwikfits records.

Anyway, the mobile technician lad comes out today and says he is unable to fit the 225/55 that was sent due to safety and insurance reasons.

Is this right,  would 2 x 225/55 on the rear and 2 x 225/50 on the front have caused issues?

Not sure what car you own. However, a call to the local dealer will tell you the correct tyre size for that car.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2024, 12:56:53 pm »

Rob would be of benefit here, but I think the 225 is the width of the tyres in mm and the 50/55 is the ratio of height to width.
So on the back you'd be having a tyre that's 225mm wide and 123.5mm in height but on the front it would be 112.5mm in height.

Not sure how much impact 11mm would make for driving (I know how much impact it has in goal line technology though  :butt).
My front and back tyres are different. Front is 225/40/18 and back is 255/35/18. Only works out 0.75mm difference though.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2024, 12:59:23 pm »
As with everything in the world these days, it's liability. If he fits a 55 when the manual says 50 and your tyre blows, they're on the hook for cash and worst case scenario a death. If you approach every problem with "who is insuring this and who gets sued if it goes wrong?" it usually leads to the answer.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.