Author Topic: How many points would you expect in the next 5 league games - 2014/15 edition  (Read 98443 times)

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
Re: How many points would you expect in the next 5 league games - 2014/15 edition
« Reply #520 on: February 10, 2015, 07:11:20 pm »
I understand what you're trying to say, but looking at past seasons and seeing how many points we'd have needed for finishing 1 point ahead of 5th would only make sense in terms of CL qualification if we had always finished in the top 4. Otherwise, finish above the 5th placed team and there would still have been a further 4 teams above us and we still wouldn't have got CL. For example, here's the final league table from 2011/12:

1   Manchester City   89   
2   Manchester United   89
3   Arsenal                   70
4   Tottenham Hotspur   69   
5   Newcastle United   65
6   Chelsea              64   
7   Everton              56
8   Liverpool              52

That season, we finished 8th. 5th-placed Newcastle got 65 points. But if we'd done one point better than them and got 66 points that season there'd still have been 4 teams above us on points and we'd still have missed out on CL. So looking at the points totals for 5th isn't really a good predictor for what points total we might need to finish 4th.

No...you don't understand what he was saying.
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: How many points would you expect in the next 5 league games - 2014/15 edition
« Reply #521 on: February 10, 2015, 07:30:34 pm »

How nice of you to take the time to clarify.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: February 10, 2015, 07:31:04 pm »
I understand what you're trying to say, but looking at past seasons and seeing how many points we'd have needed for finishing 1 point ahead of 5th would only make sense in terms of CL qualification if we had always finished in the top 4. Otherwise, finish above the 5th placed team and there would still have been a further 4 teams above us and we still wouldn't have got CL. For example, here's the final league table from 2011/12:

1   Manchester City   89   
2   Manchester United   89
3   Arsenal                   70
4   Tottenham Hotspur   69   
5   Newcastle United   65
6   Chelsea              64   
7   Everton              56
8   Liverpool              52

That season, we finished 8th. 5th-placed Newcastle got 65 points. But if we'd done one point better than them and got 66 points that season there'd still have been 4 teams above us on points and we'd still have missed out on CL. So looking at the points totals for 5th isn't really a good predictor for what points total we might need to finish 4th.

Right, but all Tottenham needed was 66 points to get 4th.  You're adding us into a current table and I'm taking the current 4th place team and seeing what the minimum point total for them would be to be ahead of 5th. 

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #523 on: February 10, 2015, 07:36:06 pm »
I dunno how you read that, but it's pretty clear what he said and how it translates. His EXACT words:

Any chance you have the point totals for 5th as well?  That will give us a better idea of what we are up against as you only need to be 1 point better then 5th to get CL.

So:
ORIGINAL TABLE IN 2011/12- NEWCASTLE BEING THE 5TH PLACED TEAM:

--
1   Manchester City   89   
2   Manchester United   89
3   Arsenal                   70
4   Tottenham Hotspur   69   
5   Newcastle United   65
6   Chelsea              64   
7   Everton              56
8   Liverpool              52
--

APPLYING WHAT HE SAID ie: "You need to be 1 point better than 5th... to get CL":
--
1   Manchester City   89   
2   Manchester United   89
3   Arsenal                   70
4   Tottenham Hotspur   69
--------------------------------
5   Liverpool              66
6   Newcastle United   65
7   Chelsea              64   
8   Everton              56
--

No CL. How is that not what he said? You can only understand what someone says by how they say it and that's what he said.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:52:00 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: February 10, 2015, 07:41:26 pm »
Right, but all Tottenham needed was 66 points to get 4th.  You're adding us into a current table and I'm taking the current 4th place team and seeing what the minimum point total for them would be to be ahead of 5th.

Well either way, in terms of this year looks like its going to be incredibly close. I just hope it doesn't come down to goal difference, because ours isn't up to much...

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: February 10, 2015, 07:49:05 pm »
snip

Thank you. Seeing the 5th place point totals and the gaps can be interesting and give us more data, but my point was that seeing the points totals for 5th place from past seasons don't help us understand how many points we would have needed to finish in the CL if we didn't finish in the top 4 in that season. Thus it's not a very reliable way of predicting how many points we might need this season.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #526 on: February 11, 2015, 09:41:37 am »
Premier League points since Xmas:

20 - Liverpool
18 - Arsenal
16 - Spurs, S'ton
14 - Chelsea, Stoke
12 - Man Utd
11 - Palace
10 - Man City

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #527 on: February 11, 2015, 09:45:31 am »
Premier League points since Xmas:

20 - Liverpool
18 - Arsenal
16 - Spurs, S'ton
14 - Chelsea, Stoke
12 - Man Utd
11 - Palace
10 - Man City

Roy fuckin' Hodgson  :no :no
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: February 11, 2015, 09:52:01 am »
Roy fuckin' Hodgson  :no :no
Although I can't argue with the sentiment of your post I'm unsure of the connection? :-\

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #529 on: February 11, 2015, 11:14:11 am »
Any chance you have the point totals for 5th as well?  That will give us a better idea of what we are up against as you only need to be 1 point better then 5th to get CL.

To answer your question.....

GW24      4th         5th

2013/2014      53-       79-         72
2012/2013      46-       73-         72
2011/2012      50-       69-         65
2010/2011      50-       68-         62
2009/2010      45-       70-         67
2008/2009      49-       72-         63
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline LondonRapLondon

• "Please leave me alone.....These little forum games are annoying."
  • Kopite
« Reply #530 on: February 11, 2015, 12:12:23 pm »
I think 13 pts from the next five would see us bedded in the top four and in the driving seat for the final slog.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: February 11, 2015, 12:53:39 pm »
I think 13 pts from the next five would see us bedded in the top four and in the driving seat for the final slog.

If we get 13 points from the next 5 then we will definitely finish top four. That would be an amazing return if you consider the tough games and the cup commitments in between.

Personally i think 13 points is too tough an ask.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #532 on: February 11, 2015, 01:05:48 pm »
The only way well get top 4 is by beating United, and Arsenal. The next game is quite a final too, Southampton away. That should tell us really where we are as a team.
Seen us win everything

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: February 11, 2015, 01:07:33 pm »
Southampton away and City at home are next no rest for the wicked.

If we played City about now, I would be more confident of getting a result, but when we play them Toure and Bony will be back, that is going to be difficult. Although mid week European games might have a say.  Southampton have the best record for goals conceded, so they are a different kettle of fish.

IF we do win those two, then its the calm before the storm before the double header of Man Utd at home, Arsenal away

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: February 11, 2015, 01:39:42 pm »
Personally i think 13 points is too tough an ask.
Sun 22nd February
Southampton Away 16:15

Sun 1st March
Man City Home 12:00

Wed 4th March
Burnley Home 20:00

Mon 16th March
Swansea Away 20:00

Sun 22nd March
Manchester United Home 13:30

Looking at those I think Southampton away is probably our hardest game. They are the form team (behind us) in the league. The fact that they play an expansive, fast paced game like us (and aren't a bunch of bus parking cockney c*nts) will probably help us out but they really are playing well!

I think anything over 9 for the next five games has to be the target. 12 or more would be a mighty, mighty return!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: February 11, 2015, 01:42:34 pm »
^ We have to win all of our 6 homes games left this season. So 9 points is the minimum.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #536 on: February 11, 2015, 01:43:24 pm »
Sun 22nd February
Southampton Away 16:15

Sun 1st March
Man City Home 12:00

Wed 4th March
Burnley Home 20:00

Mon 16th March
Swansea Away 20:00

Sun 22nd March
Manchester United Home 13:30

Looking at those I think Southampton away is probably our hardest game. They are the form team (behind us) in the league. The fact that they play an expansive, fast paced game like us (and aren't a bunch of bus parking cockney c*nts) will probably help us out but they really are playing well!

I think anything over 9 for the next five games has to be the target. 12 or more would be a mighty, mighty return!
I think all games are gonna be open ended, and no team will park the bus. Maybe Swansea will be the exception as they have nothing to play for but all the other teams we face are fighting for the league, and burnley for relegation. Im glad we have City, and United at home, the atmosphere will be key like the Chelsea game in the cup. We can definitely do it we just need to take our chances.
Seen us win everything

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #537 on: February 11, 2015, 01:54:41 pm »
In our last ten games we have moved from 8th to 6th. In the same ten games Spurs moved from 10th to 5th. They garnered 1 more point than we did.

The top 6 teams are accumulating points at a very consistent rate over the last ten games, including Chelsea. Our run of form has kept is in contention, thankfully, but it has not rocketed us up the table into a CL spot. 

The degree of difficulty of the next five games is much higher than each of the last two sets of five, however we do have an opportunity now (started last night actually) of taking points from the teams we need to pass to get into a CL spot.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: February 11, 2015, 01:56:53 pm »
^ We have to win all of our 6 homes games left this season. So 9 points is the minimum.
Massive kick in the shins that City have Toure back! They are so much better with him in the side...we really could've done with Lucas in there to snuff him out!

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: February 11, 2015, 01:58:12 pm »
After Arsenal away (which is right after Man Utd), we would have a much better idea of where we stand. We would have played all the other teams with aspirations for top 4 and can no longer take points off them. However, they can still take points off each other

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: February 11, 2015, 01:59:33 pm »
In our last ten games we have moved from 8th to 6th. In the same ten games Spurs moved from 10th to 5th. They garnered 1 more point than we did.

The top 6 teams are accumulating points at a very consistent rate over the last ten games, including Chelsea. Our run of form has kept is in contention, thankfully, but it has not rocketed us up the table into a CL spot

The degree of difficulty of the next five games is much higher than each of the last two sets of five, however we do have an opportunity now (started last night actually) of taking points from the teams we need to pass to get into a CL spot.
Those two points go hand in hand. The reason we haven't moved up is because we haven't been taking points of those above us.....until now!
These games against Southampton, City, United (EDIT: And Arsenal) are an opportunity to really move up the table...I can't fucking wait!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:02:12 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: February 11, 2015, 02:01:16 pm »
After Arsenal away (which is right after Man Utd), we would have a much better idea of where we stand. We would have played all the other teams with aspirations for top 4 and can no longer take points off them. However, they can still take points off each other
Absolutely. The only team we play above us after that will be Chelsea and we ain't leapfrogging them :-X ;D :wave

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #542 on: February 11, 2015, 02:05:21 pm »
Our run of form has kept is in contention, thankfully, but it has not rocketed us up the table into a CL spot. 

That's more a reflection on how tight it is now with only a few points separating 3rd from 7th. I've never been worried out our league position, just the number of points behind. I would rather be in 7th 3pts behind Soton (max 6 after tonight) than be in 5th, 10points adrift.

Don't forget that we were cut adrift after the Utd & Arsenal games but we have pulled it back despite not quite being in dominant form. We are close to hitting that kind of form, and it should be enough if we do.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: February 11, 2015, 02:07:00 pm »
From here on in at least one of them sides will be dropping points every round of fixtures. As long as its not us, we will slowly but surely be climbing up the table
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:09:18 pm by Mr_Shane »

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #544 on: February 11, 2015, 02:35:17 pm »
We have to beat our direct rivals, and watch them take points off each other, or lose points to lower teams. Southampton will drop some points I predict and Man United are about to unravel a bit. Obviously we will neither beat everybody nor win all our home games. I think a point at Southampton would probably be alright. I think we will need to beat United at home and the City game at Anfield could be important to win, too.

Beating Southampton at their place would show that we really are in VERY good shape indeed.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: February 11, 2015, 02:37:46 pm »
We have to beat our direct rivals, and watch them take points off each other, or lose points to lower teams. Southampton will drop some points I predict and Man United are about to unravel a bit. Obviously we will neither beat everybody nor win all our home games. I think a point at Southampton would probably be alright. I think we will need to beat United at home and the City game at Anfield could be important to win, too.

Beating Southampton at their place would show that we really are in VERY good shape indeed.

Their home form has stuttered a bit lately, 2 wins in their last 6 at home, losses to City United and Swansea and a draw with Chelsea. We can win if we are at our best

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #546 on: February 11, 2015, 03:54:07 pm »
Love how ultra competitive our next six games will be. Can only be good for the young players' development. I reckon beating Burnley and Utd at home, winning away to Swansea and Southampton, while drawing with City and Arsenal, will be enough to see up move a spot or two. Utd's away form is on a knife's edge right now. They are drawing a lot. A loss to us might well push them over the edge given their tough remaining schedule. Southampton's home form has also been very inconsistent of late. Arsenal's home form is stellar, so I reckon it's best not to lose there. Same with City's away form. 14/18 wouldn't be bad haul. 2.33 points per game.     
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:05:29 pm by wemmick »

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: February 11, 2015, 04:04:37 pm »
I think Southampton away is winnable. They do not score a lot, but they do not concede a lot too, I am confident that we can create chances, but we need to take our chances when they come,

Offline Zephyr

• Thinks of RAWK whilst pleasuring himself
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #548 on: February 11, 2015, 04:31:45 pm »
Sturridge.

;)

I think Southampton away is winnable. They do not score a lot, but they do not concede a lot too, I am confident that we can create chances, but we need to take our chances when they come,
Mint-Berry Crunch!

Offline myrlas