Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850535 times)

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #12000 on: May 23, 2020, 10:42:12 pm »
Still no sign on the BBC of Sean Dyche saying him and his players want the league to restart. They've Nigel Pearson on there being a dick though.

Nigel Pearson is the most condescending man in football, his arrogance and the way he talks to people is disgusting

Online Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12001 on: May 23, 2020, 10:44:24 pm »
Do you remember all the moaning from the England players when they had to stay in a hotel without their WAGs for a whole 2-3 weeks despite the incentive of being World Cup winners?

It's the first I've heard of the German players doing that and I have to say I'm (pleasantly) surprised.  I'd be amazed if it happened here.

Yeah that's how they're doing it in German mate. Train, hotel, match, hotel until the end of the season.

Which makes sense! We might do closer to match time

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12002 on: May 23, 2020, 10:57:29 pm »
Looking good.

Next week is a big week. Meetings on Tuesday and Thursday. Hopefully contact training starts by the end of the week and the serious business is about to begin.

All well and good but Nigel Reo-Coker has been ominous in his silence on this issue.

Until he gives it the thumbs up, the rest is just meaningless.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #12003 on: May 23, 2020, 11:14:47 pm »
Nigel Pearson is the most condescending man in football, his arrogance and the way he talks to people is disgusting

If you honestly think that then you...you are an ostrich
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #12004 on: May 23, 2020, 11:20:37 pm »
How come there's a higher number of tests this time? Were not all the 20 clubs done the first time?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
« Reply #12005 on: May 23, 2020, 11:36:13 pm »
How come there's a higher number of tests this time? Were not all the 20 clubs done the first time?

I believe Norwich weren’t tested last time and this time some clubs had up to 50 tests done.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #12006 on: May 24, 2020, 12:14:49 am »
@SamWallaceTel
BREAKING Premier League announce results of second round of Covid-19 testing: two positive tests (at two clubs) from 996 players and staff. Previous week’s total was six positive tests from 748

Yeah, I think it'll be all systems go for a mid-June restart.

I saw this earlier. Incredibly low numbers again, and it's brilliant that these cases are being identified and isolated.

Of course, the cesspool called the British media will somehow spin this into a negative.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #12007 on: May 24, 2020, 12:19:35 am »
Why is it 2 posive for Covid 19 in big breaking news on sky sports.

2 out of 996! Players will test positive ffs.

I do think though we should be doing what the Germans are doing when it comes match time... test the players two before then they have to stay in a hotel with the squad  until season over.
994 testing negative is surely the big news story. Well unless you are the ultra-negative British media, of course.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #12008 on: May 24, 2020, 12:55:29 am »
@SamWallaceTel
BREAKING Premier League announce results of second round of Covid-19 testing: two positive tests (at two clubs) from 996 players and staff. Previous week’s total was six positive tests from 748

Yeah, I think it'll be all systems go for a mid-June restart.

Voiders ...

United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #12009 on: May 24, 2020, 01:33:28 am »
Yeah that's how they're doing it in German mate. Train, hotel, match, hotel until the end of the season.

Saw an interview with some of the Leipzig players re: this. Most weren't bored. A few were taking language classes, others reading or playing video games. Granted they didn't get into too much detail re: their families.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12010 on: May 24, 2020, 02:28:36 am »
The games will be shown live on neutral tv stations not LFC TV, why should the commentary be loaded towards our biases?

O.k. so you believe Tyler and Neville are neutral in their commentary towards Liverpool😕.

But that wasn't my point. I was only suggesting that two of the most unapologetic Liverpool fans commenting on our games would add some feeling in the absence of crowds of fans.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:31:41 am by didi shamone »

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12011 on: May 24, 2020, 02:29:10 am »
Saw an interview with some of the Leipzig players re: this. Most weren't bored. A few were taking language classes, others reading or playing video games. Granted they didn't get into too much detail re: their families.
Can I ask what language Timo Werner was learning?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #12012 on: May 24, 2020, 02:31:43 am »

:D Klostermann and another player were learning Spanish. Timo was only commenting on he had no problem with the routine

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12013 on: May 24, 2020, 04:56:01 am »
:D Klostermann and another player were learning Spanish. Timo was only commenting on he had no problem with the routine

But did he say he "has no problem with the routine la"?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #12014 on: May 24, 2020, 05:11:32 am »

He just needs to learn Scouse, he already speaks English  :P

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12015 on: May 24, 2020, 09:18:43 am »
This is from the Mail but it sounds very likely to be true.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:15:37 pm by 24∗7 »

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12016 on: May 24, 2020, 09:22:26 am »
I did find it strange how Brighton were less vocal recently. Barber sounded a bit upbeat in his recent interview!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12017 on: May 24, 2020, 09:41:27 am »
Do you remember all the moaning from the England players when they had to stay in a hotel without their WAGs for a whole 2-3 weeks despite the incentive of being World Cup winners?

It's the first I've heard of the German players doing that and I have to say I'm (pleasantly) surprised.  I'd be amazed if it happened here.

Thank fuck English players are in the minority at the clubs these days.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12018 on: May 24, 2020, 09:56:47 am »

'A group of Brighton players asked the club to tone down their outspoken opposition to Project Restart last week as they felt it belittled their chances of staying in the Premier Leagueon merit.

Seagulls captain and hometown boy Lewis Dunk made direct representations to chairman Tony Bloom, expressing their unhappiness that Brighton — two points above the relegation zone — were being seen as the ringleaders in preventing top-flight football from returning.

Glenn Murray and Anthony Knockaert were among the Seagulls players who also publicly questioned whether the Premier League should return but a larger group headed by Dunk felt Brighton’s negative stance came across as a lack of confidence in their ability to avoid relegation on the pitch.'

It’s spot on from Dunk though, if it is true. The antics of the Brighton chairman and CEO show no confidence in their team being able to get it done on the pitch.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12019 on: May 24, 2020, 09:57:09 am »
What does the General Deeney say to this news?

He took a job in Tesco, because its far safer working there than playing football and is too busy stocking shelves to be interviewed right now.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12020 on: May 24, 2020, 10:02:13 am »
Brighton.
West Ham.
Watford.
Norwich.
Hull.

Always remember these teams for their shameful behaviour (predominantly from owners and a few players) during this crisis. They wanted a complete voiding of the season - a complete fuck you to any sporting integrity of the sport so they could gain short term at the expense of every other club in all the divisions.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12021 on: May 24, 2020, 10:05:04 am »
Brighton.
West Ham.
Watford.
Norwich.
Hull.

Always remember these teams for their shameful behaviour (predominantly from owners and a few players) during this crisis. They wanted a complete voiding of the season - a complete fuck you to any sporting integrity of the sport so they could gain short term at the expense of every other club in all the divisions.

With the smooth restart of the Bundesliga, these clubs will not come out of this looking well and I hope pundits do remind everyone.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12022 on: May 24, 2020, 10:06:32 am »

'A group of Brighton players asked the club to tone down their outspoken opposition to Project Restart last week as they felt it belittled their chances of staying in the Premier Leagueon merit.

Seagulls captain and hometown boy Lewis Dunk made direct representations to chairman Tony Bloom, expressing their unhappiness that Brighton — two points above the relegation zone — were being seen as the ringleaders in preventing top-flight football from returning.

Glenn Murray and Anthony Knockaert were among the Seagulls players who also publicly questioned whether the Premier League should return but a larger group headed by Dunk felt Brighton’s negative stance came across as a lack of confidence in their ability to avoid relegation on the pitch.'

Felt at the time that if the PL came back, the outspokenness of the Brighton and WestHam executives would have dented their teams' morale. Once it was obvious Project Restart was on, the Brighton captain wanted the rhetoric dialled back, but he pragmatically sat mute on the sidelines till then.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12023 on: May 24, 2020, 10:18:51 am »
It’s spot on from Dunk though, if it is true. The antics of the Brighton chairman and CEO show no confidence in their team being able to get it done on the pitch.

Psychologically it will hurt them on the pitch massively, they have a bad fist game an it’ll be tons more pressure now. Spotlight will be all over them.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12024 on: May 24, 2020, 10:37:13 am »
One of the latest positives is from Bournemouth.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12025 on: May 24, 2020, 10:38:56 am »
Shreeves still as desperate as ever for the season not to restart.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12026 on: May 24, 2020, 10:40:18 am »
Brighton.
West Ham.
Watford.
Norwich.

Always remember these teams for their shameful behaviour

Yep, and the pisser for me is at least one of those are going to survive

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12027 on: May 24, 2020, 10:43:50 am »
So far there's 8 staff/players testing positive across 4 clubs, 2 of which we know are Watford and Bornemouth.

The clubs that have 0 positive tests (16) should hopefully not see many, if any positive cases in the coming weeks. I do think the players should quarantine away from their families as we get closer to the restart - as others have said it's no different to a world cup length of time. Obviously if there's an emergency then a player could go home and then have to quarantine for 7 days - if they missed a match during that time then so be it, it's the same as when footballers miss matches due to emergencies or the birth of a child in normal circumstances.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12028 on: May 24, 2020, 10:45:28 am »

That's their most positive result this season.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12029 on: May 24, 2020, 10:45:29 am »
Still no sign on the BBC of Sean Dyche saying him and his players want the league to restart. They've Nigel Pearson on there being a dick though.

Haven't seen much about it in the media re: Dyche. Funny isnt it!

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #12030 on: May 24, 2020, 10:45:58 am »

As is that c*nt Shaun Custis

Online Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12031 on: May 24, 2020, 10:48:34 am »

He's doing my head in as is that scum man... both desperately trying to put a negative spin on starting

Why is Shreeves presenting this anyway? Where is that woman who is meant to be presenting?

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12032 on: May 24, 2020, 10:50:23 am »

Meanwhile, whilst Brady’s comments suggests that the West Ham board have a similar level of confidence in their team’s ability to avoid relegation - the players all agree that such a view point is probably fair enough.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12033 on: May 24, 2020, 11:14:29 am »

I've realised it's not that. His issue is he looks for the negative angle in everything all the time. He might say it's his job to challenge, but he really would suck the joy out of any room. Even the guests are getting annoyed with him now.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #12034 on: May 24, 2020, 11:16:22 am »
They do it on purpose Lyn.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12035 on: May 24, 2020, 11:21:20 am »
Anyone worried about how the government's incompetence could ruin our  restart? Spain, Italy and Germany all seem to have new cases at around less than 1000 and daily death tolls inbetween 50-150. All have implemented strict lockdowns.

UK with 2000-3000 new cases and daily deaths at 200 - 400. I know we are a few weeks behind the rest of them, but the governments sick handling of all of this might just mean our path to new normality might be very much slower.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:23:27 am by Andar »

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12036 on: May 24, 2020, 11:45:15 am »
Anyone worried about how the government's incompetence could ruin our  restart? Spain, Italy and Germany all seem to have new cases at around less than 1000 and daily death tolls inbetween 50-150. All have implemented strict lockdowns.

UK with 2000-3000 new cases and daily deaths at 200 - 400. I know we are a few weeks behind the rest of them, but the governments sick handling of all of this might just mean our path to new normality might be very much slower.

I've said this from day one it'll be the biggest obstacle to finishing the season.

It was bad enough that they were too slow to lockdown but they've completely lost all grip now.

Clusters of cases are going to happen through June and July, whether it gets as widespread as March remains to be seen.

From a footballing point of view I just hope it's at least open long enough for us to win the league mathematically.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:47:46 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #12037 on: May 24, 2020, 11:53:38 am »
With their being only 2 tested positive in this round and what looks like a success for German football I’m more positive than ever that the season will commence in June. We have to finish the season, no question about that.

Has it been confirmed whether matches will be played at neutral stadiums? I think personally, to play all matches at home/away as normal.

It sounds mad but starting the season with some strict measures still in place will stop any ideas fans (not just our own) may have of hanging around the stadium. Just want the games to start now, time is dragging

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #12038 on: May 24, 2020, 11:54:27 am »
Well what reason could they stop it? All the players  and staff are isolated and getting tested. It's the most controlled situation you could want.
"Salahs in here......"

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12039 on: May 24, 2020, 12:00:14 pm »
Well what reason could they stop it? All the players  and staff are isolated and getting tested. It's the most controlled situation you could want.

If only the rest of country was as controlled as the premier league in their testing, wed have beaten the virus by now.

Also while its true that our government have been wildly incompetent, the numbers are dropping every day, by the time we start the numbers will be far  better than now.