Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 453566 times)

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #6840 on: March 23, 2023, 02:04:13 am »
Fuck me Vikingo is fucking good

Online NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #6841 on: March 23, 2023, 08:17:41 am »
Fuck me Vikingo is fucking good

Not going to get to watch Dynamite until tomorrow but take it his match with Omega was good then?

I know Omega had been talking Vikingo up in a very big way in the build to the bout and calling Vinkingo a genuine game changer that will revolutionise aspects of pro wrestling and Lucha Libre.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 08:20:01 am by NightDancer »
What's your pleasure?

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6842 on: March 23, 2023, 08:59:10 am »
Not going to get to watch Dynamite until tomorrow but take it his match with Omega was good then?

I know Omega had been talking Vikingo up in a very big way in the build to the bout and calling Vinkingo a genuine game changer that will revolutionise aspects of pro wrestling and Lucha Libre.

If he gets a good run on US TV he would be an absolute game changer. He did something things that defy my understanding of what a wrestler can do, including some twisting rope springboard thing that I am still trying to add up how he did it.

Just ridiculous Lucha talent

Watching him to me had a lesser version of the sensation Suarez brought, which was joy and bewilderment at this dude seemingly defying the laws of the profession they are in to great success
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 09:00:50 am by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6843 on: March 23, 2023, 09:01:09 am »
Watching US wrestling 30 ish years ago, it's mad to think that a 'high flyer' was someone who would jump off the middle turnbuckle to land an elbow.

I'm pretty sure Vikingo could wrestle an entirely 'rana-based match for 5 minutes and not hit the same one twice.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6844 on: March 23, 2023, 09:13:42 am »
Watching US wrestling 30 ish years ago, it's mad to think that a 'high flyer' was someone who would jump off the middle turnbuckle to land an elbow.

I'm pretty sure Vikingo could wrestle an entirely 'rana-based match for 5 minutes and not hit the same one twice.

In the ake of this match, I saw a bunch of people linking Rey Mysterio's WCW debut close to 30 years ago, where essentially he was just dropped in and told to do cool shit, and he got super over just blowing people's mind.

Vikingo had the same type of objective last night - just go out and do cool shit.

It is telling that in a company with a lot of high flyers, in a wrestling world with a lot of high flyers, this guy's Lucha libre high flyer style STILL stood out and looked unique

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6845 on: March 23, 2023, 10:05:55 am »
Vikingo looked tremendous

Another really good Dynamite as well.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6846 on: March 23, 2023, 11:01:07 am »
How did Kenny not land on his head for some of those?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6847 on: March 23, 2023, 07:51:30 pm »
Great Dynamite, that main event was nuts.  Callis is awesome too.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6848 on: March 23, 2023, 09:28:05 pm »
How did Kenny not land on his head for some of those?

There was one of the top turnbuckle, Omega went to powerbomb but it was countered into a hurricanrana, the force he hit the mat with was genuinely scary. Looked in the replay like he rolled out of it like a pro though.

I find the moves impressive but some of the spots the coordination is so obvious that it takes me out of it. Omega was clearly looking up to catch him for one of the spots. And how could he not be, the guy is spinning around mid air, one wrong move and there could be a serious injury.

It's fun for a one off special but wouldn't want to see it every week.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6849 on: March 24, 2023, 07:28:37 am »
Don't see Punk coming back now after the latest 'twists'.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 08:19:48 am by Malaysian Kopite »

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #6850 on: March 24, 2023, 09:54:16 am »
What a bellend

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6851 on: March 24, 2023, 10:02:02 am »
So I think Punk is a bellend for what he has come out with, no chance he comes back. BUT I think there's a fair chance a lot of what he says has merit in the last message. In particular Jericho is obviously the guy leaking all the stuff about CM Punk and Meltzer is clearly biased towards how EVP friends and Jericho.

Also a lot of talk that around Revolution Punk and FTR got into William Regals face and called him a HHH stooge. Lot of people implying he was a major grass around the summer too (and tbf leaks have slowed dramatically since he left).

Now the idea of FTR Bald bad mouthing anyone for being a stooge and a leak, considering how much he runs to Meltzer and Cornette, and how hard he stooges to CM Punk, is pretty funny, but still yeah.

Punk is an arsehole who will never apologize and is more trouble than he is worth despite being a fantastic wrestler and a humourous draw, which just shows how much trouble he is. But I do also think Jericho and the EVP's aren't without their shit, and Meltzer never touches on that because it is his mates

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6852 on: March 24, 2023, 10:29:15 am »
It's just embarrassing all round at this point.  Kenny seems to be the only one who can't be arsed with all this.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6853 on: March 24, 2023, 10:39:32 am »
Wonder if he'll turn up in TNA in a few months.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6854 on: March 24, 2023, 12:33:52 pm »
If they were indeed pushing Punk to wrestle before he was medically cleared and then people around there were telling journalists he was being a primadonna I can understand him being pissed off to be honest. Especially since he subsequently got reinjured shortly afterwards. Punk and Jericho have previous with this kind of thing too.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #6855 on: March 24, 2023, 01:10:53 pm »
Also a lot of talk that around Revolution Punk and FTR got into William Regals face and called him a HHH stooge. Lot of people implying he was a major grass around the summer too (and tbf leaks have slowed dramatically since he left).

Looking at where Regal is now and how he got there, it could be quite possible, that they were right. And that's not even taking into account all the history him and HHH have.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6856 on: March 24, 2023, 01:31:27 pm »
If they were indeed pushing Punk to wrestle before he was medically cleared and then people around there were telling journalists he was being a primadonna I can understand him being pissed off to be honest. Especially since he subsequently got reinjured shortly afterwards. Punk and Jericho have previous with this kind of thing too.

Wrestlers work hurt all the time and work angles to explain legit injuries, and Punk agreed to it, so I dunno why he's crying about it now.  He could've just said no.  The match itself went, what, 2-3 minutes with no real impact moves, what's his problem?

He was fine going into the PPV, booked to win it back and then managed to tear his pec during the match, a completely different injury.  Dude is just injury prone and would get along great with the Liverpool physios.

It's just a whole bunch of nothing ever being his fault.  Same as always.

Online PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #6857 on: March 24, 2023, 01:37:03 pm »
OR could it be that this is all a work..................

..........But then again Tony Khan is too stupid to book this

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6858 on: March 24, 2023, 01:38:38 pm »
Think you'd have to be pretty stupid to book it this way too though, the whole worked-shoot stuff is beyond tiresome.  There's still a slim chance they all work together again and then people convince themselves it was a work the whole time, but I think they might be past that point now.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6859 on: March 24, 2023, 01:55:43 pm »
Looking at where Regal is now and how he got there, it could be quite possible, that they were right. And that's not even taking into account all the history him and HHH have.

Oh absolutely. Guy who spends all the time saying he isn't a grass, ends up being a massive grass.

Again FTR Bald isn't really one to talk about leaks and stooges, but yeah totally could see this being all true, the confrontation and the fact that regal is a Stooge for his pretty self confessed best friend and strongest business partner HHH.

Interestingly in the Post Revolution scrum Punk talked about people not helping him out while he was getting sued by WWE because they valued their jobs, and that "some of these people have now been fired and work here too which is pretty interesting" - was apparently talking about Regal

Dude has some points but also has a toxic personality,perhaps even with legitimate personality disorder with how he holds on to every grudge and sees every perceived slight as a mortal insult. Yeah it's an ego business and he probably has a point with Jericho and the Elite egos and faults, but he also burns and sabotages EVERYONE else too - Moxley, Tony, MJF (stole his thunder of the All Out return), Hangman, basically everyone other than Adam Cole who is beloved by all, and at the time sounds like retirement was a very real prospect for him with injury.

I mean there is talk around that the All Out press conference was planned well in advance as a means partly for Punk to prove Tony Khan was against him and sided with Cabana by not firing him. He wanted Tony to cut him off to prove he was right and Tony is against him. Just absolute mad stuff.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6860 on: March 24, 2023, 03:53:17 pm »
In other misc news:

KAIRI is a free agent

Naomi has officially left WWE and trademarked the name Trinity Starr

Miro refused to lose a battle royal being last eliminated by Hangman Page around Full Gear, since then no ideas have been brought forward for him - so losing a battle royal to Hangman is absolutely not ok for him, but an angle where he gets literally cuckolded and humiliated is all fine and dandy

WWE changed a pre-tape interview before Raw because the word "Wrestling" was used - not saying Vince is back, but if it walks like a duck and quacks
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 03:58:53 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6861 on: March 24, 2023, 04:03:14 pm »

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6862 on: March 24, 2023, 05:49:24 pm »

Cody couldn't have picked a better time to leave. Everyone (including all of us) believed he was going to be midcard in no time and now they're ready to crown him as the face of the company,

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6863 on: March 25, 2023, 11:29:58 am »
Rey finally hitting Dom was excellent Sports Entertainment.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6864 on: March 25, 2023, 12:33:24 pm »
OR could it be that this is all a work..................

..........But then again Tony Khan is too stupid to book this

If it is they need to quit with this shit and actually focus on growing an audience, rather than catering to a small portion of fans on the internet. A great match that was build as a 'dream match' in the last week but is that really what they need to be doing right now? (Bringing in randomers for one off matches with such a bloated roster as it is)

Must say in a positive sense, I did see the AEW four pillars segment and it was very good. 'Jungle Boy' seems very out of place to me though.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6865 on: March 25, 2023, 12:34:33 pm »

It was good you're right. Dom has really excelled himself as a chickenshit heel and Rey will no doubt want to put him over - not sure what way they will go though as everyone wants to see Dom get his ass kicked.

Also, i've noticed theyre doing the battle royale next week and Lashley is in. Feel for the guy. The Bray Wyatt stuff has cost him massively.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6866 on: March 25, 2023, 12:42:21 pm »

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6867 on: March 25, 2023, 01:45:15 pm »
It was good you're right. Dom has really excelled himself as a chickenshit heel and Rey will no doubt want to put him over - not sure what way they will go though as everyone wants to see Dom get his ass kicked.

Also, i've noticed theyre doing the battle royale next week and Lashley is in. Feel for the guy. The Bray Wyatt stuff has cost him massively.

Yeah real shame for Lashley, he deserves better. Should have just added him to the Lesnar-Omos match.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6868 on: March 25, 2023, 02:37:36 pm »

Actually looking forward to seeing what they come up with at Mania, Rey will be pulling out all the tricks to make Dom look a million bucks.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6869 on: March 25, 2023, 03:22:19 pm »

The Battle Royal is on Smackdown, not Mania. So I still think they’ll give Lashley a spot somewhere, albeit probably a segment rather than a match. Should really have been Lashley/Lesnar in a final match, but never mind.

LA Knight is in the battle royal too and I think they’ll give him something at Mania as well - maybe the inevitable Austin segment.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6870 on: March 25, 2023, 09:26:37 pm »
Kenny Omega vs Jeff Cobb set for Dynamite on Wednesday. It looks like FINALLY we are getting main event singles star Kenny Omega again, and fucking damn is it good

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6871 on: March 26, 2023, 06:35:10 pm »
Part of the storyline, isn't it? Seems that Callis is pushing Kenny to be that guy again, hence faking the attack by Hangman to drive a wedge between them on the cusp of reuniting (in general, not as a team). Whilst it was made out to look like the BCC were responsible for the Bucks' hospitalisation, we didn't see it explicitly and I wouldn't surprised to find out later that Callis was behind it. Not sure where that narrative goes, but sure. Takeshita has been courted by Callis recently so maybe something linked there too.

Cody couldn't have picked a better time to leave. Everyone (including all of us) believed he was going to be midcard in no time and now they're ready to crown him as the face of the company,

I think it's worked out for the best for all concerned. Cody was stinking the place out in AEW for maybe a year before leaving, not because of talent, but because of his unique position in the company that seemed to make it hard to involve him in anything compelling. Now I'm not a Cody hater by any means - he was an integral part of AEW's formation, and his feuds with Jericho and then MJF anchored the first wobbly months of Dynamite whilst half the roster got used to the quirks of televised wrestling.

I don't know how much of it can be blamed on the pandemic, but when the first lockdowns hit Cody was one of the few upper card guys left available, but had ruled himself out of competing for the main title. I don't know what the plans for the TNT title were, but it was only a couple of months in that it was slapped on Cody, and set in motion his standard storyline of "someone new appears in the company and immediately goes after Cody" (which happened repeatedly whether he was champion or not). Cody was also in that echelon of talent that seemed guaranteed TV time when available - along with the rest of the Elite, Jericho & Moxley. This all led to him running the same feud back with multiple people and seemingly never having a break (unless he was filming some external project).

He also seemed to want to avoid getting caught up in anything bigger than himself, by swerving any sort of factions beyond his random 'Nightmare Family' group of hangers-on. I guess he didn't want to move in any direction that would lead back to being involved with the Elite, but that's just my speculation.

The other problem you had with Cody was trying to find something for Brandi to do, as she apparently also had some sort of exposure clause going on. They wasted so much early time in the womens division with Brandi's pointless storylines that would either get dropped instantly (the Nightmare Collective) or just fizzle away with no real pay off (the Nightmare Sisters). It was only her pregnancy that stopped her being involved in the Jade/Shaq match.

So whatever success Cody is finding now, it was definitely time for him to move on when he did, and I can't really say that I've missed him at all.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6872 on: March 29, 2023, 10:29:20 pm »
Found a bizarre old video of Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage and Lily Savage from the mid 90's. Mad that I used to watch this before heading off to primary school ;D

The good stuff is around minute 5 onwards

https://youtu.be/sogKl1pwwQU

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #6873 on: March 30, 2023, 08:49:46 am »
must look at that later

Wrestlemania 14 was 25 years ago yesterday

That is nuts

Great ppv
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6874 on: March 30, 2023, 09:03:00 am »
Another really great Dynamite, again setting things in motion.

Will re-iterate it again, but man I love Jamie Hayter. She was away for 2 weeks, comes back to a big pop and clears house like a killer - she's a real star, they got to keep nursing her for now on.

Also of note, it may have crept under the radar a bit but fucking hell SuperCard of Honor looks on paper to be one of the best wrestling shows in ages

Eddie Kingston vs Claudio Castagnoli for ROH championship
Samoa Joe vs Mark Briscoe
5 team ladder match to tag titles including Lucha Brothers, Top Flight, The Kingdom, Los Faccion Ingobernables,  and Aussie Open
The Embassy vs AR Fox, Blake Christian, and Metallik
Athena vs Yuka Sakazaki
Daniel Garcia vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
Wheeler Yuta vs Katsuyori Shibata

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #6875 on: March 30, 2023, 10:35:16 am »
must look at that later

Wrestlemania 14 was 25 years ago yesterday

That is nuts

Great ppv

Great main event but so-so show I think.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6876 on: March 30, 2023, 11:02:48 am »
One of the weirder things to see is the first few Manias where it was literally just a show. Compared to these days were it is literally the biggest event on the wrestling calendar by far, but you see Mania 1 and 2 and it's just any other PPV, nothing special at all. It has some things going on but like the cards are mostly just stuff, and the promotion (for 1 at least) is like just a big show in New York MSG rather than the biggest night in WWE
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 11:05:19 am by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6877 on: March 30, 2023, 11:18:06 am »
Great main event but so-so show I think.

There was some good matches

The LOD2000 stuff got cained but when they showed up at the start of this show it was great and they got a massive pop

The Dumpster match, Owen vs HHH and Taka vs Aguila were very good too.

There was some good stuff too with Ken Shamrock and Rock, match a little under whelming yes but Ken's meltdown after was epic. Few other moments good like even the mixed tag match

In many ways the Kane Taker match was over rated as it was very slow but it was always going to be that way and the build up was fantastic

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #6878 on: March 30, 2023, 11:21:02 am »
That dumpster match was the Outlaws' last match before joining DX right
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6879 on: March 30, 2023, 11:24:09 am »
That dumpster match was the Outlaws' last match before joining DX right
Yeah thats right, they joined them the next night

Great spot in that match with the ladder although getting on my high horse why it made no sense to bring it in the middle of the ring and climb it to start punching each other, it wasnt a ladder match

Although the spot was ahead of its time in many ways