Author Topic: New Managing Director Appointed - Christian Purslow  (Read 70572 times)

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
Re: New Managing Director Appointed - Christian Purslow
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2009, 03:28:44 pm »
The club's statement says:

"As Managing Director, Purslow will represent the owners and oversee all financial and operational aspects of the Club"

Basically, he's being paid to look after Gillett & Hicks' investment - I'd guess that was what Foster Gillett was meant to do, but he fecked off.

I wouldn't rule out the idea that he may have been put in place to act as a representative of the Yanks in case they become part-owners following a partial sale of the club.

I suggested about 18 months back that Hicks & Gillett would have to dilute their holding and bring in new investors to fund the stadium construction and I think that's where we're probably headed.

Foster Gillett and Hicks son were apponted as place men to rubber stamp whatever their father's wanted.

I agree that it is highly likely that outside capital/ a minority stake may be required to see the stadium project through in which case Purslow has credentials far greater than the discredited M&P, who were not up to that job.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2009, 03:39:17 pm »
Glad he is a fan , know nothing about him so will reserve judgement but welcome aboard Mr Purslow .

It all ties in with TH saying he wanted people to come in and take care of the day to day running fo the club whilst they are away eating HotDogs in the US of A .
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2009, 04:18:40 pm »
First question for our new MD - where's all the bleedin money gone?

In 2005 our shares were sold for £176m - and we allegedly had £60m of debt - including stuff which was normally paid out of our our annual turnover which somehow came out at a £245 million loan ????

...........maths aint my strong point but it doesn't add up

Then we 'refinanced' -  we are told that was a £350 million loan - including £105 million to 'start work on the new ground' and provide 'working capital' - where's that gone?

First thing to do - give 150 million of it back coz you dont need it..... save yourself 15 million in interest payments and buy a bleedin left winger with it - who'll earn you a fortune when we win the prem - aint bleedin rocket science is it...........

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2009, 05:04:31 pm »
Right so he has a seasie does he? Well he wont need it now he is sitting in the directors box, so who fuckin gets it?

Dibs!!
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2009, 05:21:51 pm »
Glad he is a fan , know nothing about him so will reserve judgement but welcome aboard Mr Purslow .

It all ties in with TH saying he wanted people to come in and take care of the day to day running fo the club whilst they are away eating HotDogs in the US of A .

Wasnt Parry and Moores a fan?
"When you hear the noise of the Bill Shankly boys,
We'll be coming down the road"

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2009, 05:25:14 pm »
Wasnt Parry and Moores a fan?

Oh you sceptic you  ;)
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepared to die for the King!
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2009, 05:38:53 pm »
Has it not occurred to anyone that he may have been appointed on the insistence of RBS as a condition of the refinance?

Given a board position would allow the banks to have a say in how the money is to be spent.

Especially as the role didn't appear to be advertised.

Offline coffeehead

• A Lack Of Real Spice In His Life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2009, 05:55:04 pm »
Bidding 17+ million for a right full back tells a different story ... I am not saying they will splash the cash ... I am only saying they will try to make us PL title winners, before selling us (for a much bigger profit) ...
No it doesn't. You are confusing spend with financial strength. Borrow and spend is not necessarily a good sign, not when the club - and we fans - have to pick up the pieces, possibly for years to come if it goes wrong. There's no sign yet out our financial strength and stability is being improved overall by anything they are doing

Offline coffeehead

• A Lack Of Real Spice In His Life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2009, 05:56:23 pm »
I am gullible.
My work here is done :P

Offline Gedo

• Tube Blower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2009, 06:03:36 pm »
He's a kinky Cnut,he just keeps coming back for more!

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2009, 06:36:07 pm »
Liverpool are set to sign England right-back Glen Johnson after confirming they have reached an agreement with both the player and his club Portsmouth.

The Reds have been linked with the defender for a number of weeks while Pompey executive chairman Peter Storrie claimed last week Johnson's former club Chelsea were willing to pay £18million for the 24-year-old.

And a statement from the club said: "Liverpool FC confirmed this evening that they had reached an agreement with Portsmouth Football Club and with Glen Johnson for the transfer of the player to Anfield."

Some good news at least, heres the 6pm announcement
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2009, 06:40:16 pm »
We''re gona need a bigger boat.

Tickled me that one.. :wave

;D
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2009, 06:41:23 pm »

Well thanks for giving up, i appreciate it.  :P
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline vanoord

• Kopite
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2009, 08:53:08 pm »
Has it not occurred to anyone that he may have been appointed on the insistence of RBS as a condition of the refinance?

He was shown around the club by Hicks at the Arsenal game back in April - this is an appointment to protect the interests of the Yanks, even if it's been done to keep the bank reassured that there's someone in the UK who's nominally in charge.

The timing of this relates to the imminent (official) departure of Parry.

I wonder if Purslow will get the Audi R8? ;)
But ye gotta know where ye're just gonna rush in. Ye cannae just rush in anywhere. It looks bad, havin' to rush oout again straight awa'..

Offline ShanksLegend

• Spirit Of Shankly RTK
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool FC is an institution not a business
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2009, 09:37:44 pm »
No one knows nothing about this guy, they have been looking for this communications post for a bit, Barwick was tipped to get it.  Looks like they have done it without interview and head hunted their man, apparantly he has been a guest in the directors box last seaon, if anyone cares to do a pic search.

It was suggested today that Staveley has applied for CEO job or been asked to apply or something along those lines.

Parry has still got tickets in the directors box next season by the way, him and his son who also now no longer works for the club.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2009, 09:44:55 pm »

Sort of; perhaps not quite as formally as that.

He was shown around the club by Hicks at the Arsenal game back in April - this is an appointment to protect the interests of the Yanks, even if it's been done to keep the bank reassured that there's someone in the UK who's nominally in charge.

The timing of this relates to the imminent (official) departure of Parry.

I wonder if Purslow will get the Audi R8? ;)

April? Two months ago. No reason why the introduction can't have been from RBS to Hicks back then; as you say, the timing of the appointment itself is to do with Parry leaving (though there was an interesting post on here about 10 days ago - since edited - which asked who CP might be). Looking at Purslow's CV, who do you think might have known more about him - Hicks, or someone within RBS?

My gut feeling is that this is a positive development - whether that's to bring in minority or majority investment (with the CEO being determined by a new majority shareholder), an outright sale or simply to have more capable and connected financial management than G&H provided.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2009, 10:09:32 pm »

It was suggested today that Staveley has applied for CEO job or been asked to apply or something along those lines.

i'm warm to the idea having a woman CEO, imagine the negotiating possibilities :lickin
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2009, 10:10:21 pm »
Staveley more or less lives in the middle east these days, Shanks. Would be a surprise if she came back for a CEO job in a field she knows little, relatively, about. Would have thought it would have taken considerably more to influence her than a good salary.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2009, 10:10:28 pm »

Now, that's interesting!

Offline TONYMAN

• Main Stander
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2009, 10:46:33 pm »
Purslow was instrumental in the new signing of torres contract and is very well know in the inner circles of lfc
That is all.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2009, 11:15:35 pm »
Now, that's interesting!

It certainly is does she still work for DIC?
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2009, 11:49:09 pm »
Purslow was instrumental in the new signing of torres contract and is very well know in the inner circles of lfc
That is all.
I beg to differ on the "new contract". It was simply a PR stunt. His exisiting contract had a clause in it that once he reached 50 goals he would get more money. The contract term never increased, save they added an "option" for a further year - not exactly an instrumental achievement.

Offline dbroms

• Main Stander
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2009, 12:10:49 am »
in this story half way down it says this guy "Shaikh Ahmad was to be appointed the honorary chairman of the club, the agency said " ,  that why moores went is it ?
http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Football/10325301.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2009, 12:58:17 am »
in this story half way down it says this guy "Shaikh Ahmad was to be appointed the honorary chairman of the club, the agency said " ,  that why moores went is it ?
http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Football/10325301.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we've been thru this on here already mate

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2009, 02:51:26 am »
It certainly is does she still work for DIC?

that's not right. :)
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2009, 08:00:50 am »

Liverpool appoint Christian Purslow as their new managing director

Liverpool have appointed Christian Purslow, a financier with strong links to Merseyside, as their new managing director.

By Paul Kelso, Chief Sports Reporter
Published: 10:19AM BST 22 Jun 2009

Purslow, an Anfield season-ticket holder, will join the board and take over many of the responsibilities of outgoing chief executive Rick Parry, but will step aside when a full-time replacement for Parry is appointed.

Purslow's priorities will be to renegotiate the £350m loan with RBS due to be repaid at the end of July and to work with manager Rafa Benitez on summer transfer targets.

Purslow, whose background is in private equity, speaks fluent Spanish and has already struck a relationship with Benitez. He is understood to have played a role in the negotiations surrounding Fernando Torres's new contract.

A friend of club legend Kenny Dalglish, Purslow was recommended to owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett as a potential new board member and has the support of both of them. Crucially this should allow him to bridge the divide that occasionally appears before the American owners.

The new managing director is also said to have decent relations with senior staff at RBS including chief executive Stephen Hester, and club sources said the bank welcomed his appointment.

Talks with RBS will take place imminently, with the owners prospects of satisfying the bank's demands enhanced by Gillett's impending sale of the Montreal Canadiens. With Hicks yet to raise finance from his for sale US assets, it remains to be seen if this affects the delicate equilibrium between the owners.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/5600713/Liverpool-appoint-Christian-Purslow-as-their-new-managing-director.html

Offline Liverbird 2010

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2009, 08:35:57 am »
The new managing director is also said to have decent relations with senior staff at RBS including chief executive Stephen Hester, and club sources said the bank welcomed his appointment.

Talks with RBS will take place imminently, with the owners prospects of satisfying the bank's demands enhanced by Gillett's impending sale of the Montreal Canadiens. With Hicks yet to raise finance from his for sale US assets, it remains to be seen if this affects the delicate equilibrium between the owners.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/5600713/Liverpool-appoint-Christian-Purslow-as-their-new-managing-director.html

That's a must when employing a new managing director  ::) Unbelievable.

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2009, 08:35:59 am »
Liverpool appoint Christian Purslow as their new managing director

Liverpool have appointed Christian Purslow, a financier with strong links to Merseyside, as their new managing director.

By Paul Kelso, Chief Sports Reporter
Published: 10:19AM BST 22 Jun 2009

Purslow, an Anfield season-ticket holder, will join the board and take over many of the responsibilities of outgoing chief executive Rick Parry, but will step aside when a full-time replacement for Parry is appointed.

Purslow's priorities will be to renegotiate the £350m loan with RBS due to be repaid at the end of July and to work with manager Rafa Benitez on summer transfer targets.

Purslow, whose background is in private equity, speaks fluent Spanish and has already struck a relationship with Benitez. He is understood to have played a role in the negotiations surrounding Fernando Torres's new contract.

A friend of club legend Kenny Dalglish, Purslow was recommended to owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett as a potential new board member and has the support of both of them. Crucially this should allow him to bridge the divide that occasionally appears before the American owners.

He lent Rafa his pen to sign Nando's contract when the official one wouldn't work. He and Kenny nodded to each other once and said hi when they passed each other at Anfield.

Things get blown up by the media, we all know that. It may be he'll be good for the club but I'll bet parry was known around the club too before he joined. He's there to represent the owners interests, not yours, mine or ours, but THEIRS. It remains to be seen whether he does this to the detriment or benefit of the club as a whole, until then I'm reserving judgement and taking all this life long supporter and friends of past legends guff with a hefty pinch of salt.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2009, 08:42:30 am »
Re-fi given according to radio 4 & 5  :-\

Offline nm83

• Kopite
  • Minister of Sarcasm
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2009, 08:46:21 am »
Re-fi given according to radio 4 & 5  :-\
boy CP don't mess around eh?
YNWA

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2009, 09:41:13 am »
Does he post on here??? ;D

Sounds like he very well might.

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2009, 11:16:24 am »
Sounds like he very well might.

coops. ;D
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2009, 11:20:11 am »
As redmen and I suggested, looks like this appointment has at least as much to do with rbs as the owners. I think rbs protecting themselves may be better for us than nothing.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2009, 11:31:31 am »
As redmen and I suggested, looks like this appointment has at least as much to do with rbs as the owners. I think rbs protecting themselves may be better for us than nothing.

That is misleading. P&M were discredited Board members and their departure was long overdue. Appointing somone of Purslow's calibre to the Board is in the interests of LFC, G&H as well as RBS.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2009, 12:07:58 pm »
I would say that Purslow has bought an minority stake in the club for arount £60-80m and that is
where we are going to get the cash for new players.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2009, 12:21:39 pm »
That is misleading. P&M were discredited Board members and their departure was long overdue. Appointing somone of Purslow's calibre to the Board is in the interests of LFC, G&H as well as RBS.

I agree but we may differ in the order and on whose recommendation he was appointed.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:29:18 pm by redmen77 »

Offline southern scouse

• Kopite
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2009, 01:57:54 pm »
No one knows nothing about this guy, they have been looking for this communications post for a bit, Barwick was tipped to get it.  Looks like they have done it without interview and head hunted their man, apparantly he has been a guest in the directors box last seaon, if anyone cares to do a pic search.

Parry has still got tickets in the directors box next season by the way, him and his son who also now no longer works for the club.

Shanks, are you saying no-one at the club had any prior notice to this appointment and position, or just no-one at the club knew his name?

Offline southern scouse

• Kopite
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2009, 02:04:28 pm »

With no knowing that the postion was advertised anywhere, I would tend to agree with this? probably all spin from G&H that "we" have appointed CP, to stave off negative PR, as he was reccomended by RBS. If appointed by, or has any connection to RBS, opens a lot more questions...........

I / we all know, I wouldn't believe today was Tuesday if it came from G&H mouths

Sorry but really cycnical of anything from H&G

Offline nm83

• Kopite
  • Minister of Sarcasm
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2009, 02:28:08 pm »
an rbs appointment to run the club while a buyer is sought since g+h default ... an informal administration?  we could hope.
YNWA

Offline vanoord

• Kopite
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2009, 03:00:39 pm »

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=239905.msg5656282#msg5656282

Pic here: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/86094771/AFP
But ye gotta know where ye're just gonna rush in. Ye cannae just rush in anywhere. It looks bad, havin' to rush oout again straight awa'..