Author Topic: The RAWK History Channel  (Read 13614 times)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Re: The RAWK History Channel
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2019, 10:31:35 am »
Theres an interesting 3 part docudrama on iplayer at the moment. Charles 1st: Downfall of a King.

It was superb.

That woman who presented it was rather engaging too.

I'd highly recommend watching it for those who want to know about his trial.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2019, 11:45:04 am »
It was superb.

Yes, she was great. Hopefully will get more presenting jobs.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2019, 06:47:18 pm »
Is that a repeat of one on earlier this year or late last year? If so, it was very, very good.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2019, 07:14:47 pm »
Is that a repeat of one on earlier this year or late last year? If so, it was very, very good.

Im not totally sure. My TV mag says its a new 3 part series. Made in 2019

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2019, 11:07:40 pm »
Im not totally sure. My TV mag says its a new 3 part series. Made in 2019

I'm pretty sure it was a repeat from earlier in this year but a god watch.

You can see how political tensions have evolved but without the added complication of religion.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2019, 11:04:05 am »
I'm pretty sure it was a repeat from earlier in this year but a god watch.

You can see how political tensions have evolved but without the added complication of religion.

If it's the one I am thinking about, it was a brilliant series and gave a really interesting insight into it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2019, 11:35:50 pm »
The Lost Home Movies of Nazi Germany on BBC4 this week was very good. Two hour long shows, mainly military but also civilian clips. 99% of it was new to me, but there are some horrible films and sad stories. Theres a few historians watching the films and making comments like James Holland.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2020, 07:29:10 pm »
Am really enjoying Apocalypse: The Cold War on the Nat Geo channel.

It's as good as the previous WW1 and WW2 versions.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2020, 10:06:54 pm »
Am really enjoying Apocalypse: The Cold War on the Nat Geo channel.

It's as good as the previous WW1 and WW2 versions.
Excellent. Nazi Victory. Post War Plan +War Factories series on Yesterday channel also well worth watching.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2020, 10:41:19 am »
Excellent. Nazi Victory. Post War Plan +War Factories series on Yesterday channel also well worth watching.

Thanks mate, I've seen War Factories but not the other two. Will look out for them later.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2020, 11:47:28 am »
Thanks mate, I've seen War Factories but not the other two. Will look out for them later.
Sorry. should of explained better, Nazi Victory-Post War Plan is just one series.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2020, 05:49:34 pm »
I caught the last episode of the Lucy Worsley series - British History's Biggest Fibs - about the reign of Queen Anne. Guess what, the Favourite wasn't historically accurate!!!

The background to the rise of Churchill was interesting and I knew he was a very successful general but the what was shocking was that the Peace of Utrecht, which concluded the war of Spanish Succession, gave the Britain a 30 year monopoly in the slave trade ov the French and Spanish.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2020, 05:56:35 pm »
I caught the last episode of the Lucy Worsley series - British History's Biggest Fibs - about the reign of Queen Anne. Guess what, the Favourite wasn't historically accurate!!!

The background to the rise of Churchill was interesting and I knew he was a very successful general but the what was shocking was that the Peace of Utrecht, which concluded the war of Spanish Succession, gave the Britain a 30 year monopoly in the slave trade ov the French and Spanish.

Yes, you cant go wrong with a bit of Lucy. All three episodes were interesting.They must still be on iplayer if you missed the first 2.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2020, 06:08:43 pm »
Yes, you cant go wrong with a bit of Lucy. All three episodes were interesting.They must still be on iplayer if you missed the first 2.

Good plan. I'll download them for when I'm self isolating and down to my last tin of baked beans. :D

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2020, 07:09:45 pm »
Good plan. I'll download them for when I'm self isolating and down to my last tin of baked beans. :D

:)

I think the show you watched is actually Royal Historys Biggest Fibs. Episode 1 is about the Reformation, episode 2 is The Armada. Then the Queen Anne one. They are on iplayer, I've just checked and they are on till March 2021.  :thumbup

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2020, 11:26:31 pm »
Has anyone been watching the documentary on the reign of Lady Jane Grey? It has just finished but was a very interesting series about one of the lesser known Tudor Queens.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2020, 09:23:37 pm »
Bumping this thread because there's not enough history going on ;D

I'm keen to stock up on literature for the shit weather/further lockdown restrictions, so it'd be great to have some recommendations for books about the following:

- The Atlantic slave trade (particularly the 19th century)
- The recent Yugoslav Wars
- The end of WW2 - Yalta, the Marshall Plan, Operation Unthinkable, all that good stuff.

Frankly I'm less interested in military history and more into sociological/human/personal stories behind the conflicts, but would be receptive to easily accessible stuff of all stripes.

Just to do a bit of giving as well as hopefully taking, here are some of my favourites:

- Stasiland by Anna Funder (stories from the people whose lives were massively affected by or were involved in the East German secret police)

- Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick (a brilliant, detailed book about real lives in North Korea, the author avoids patronising the people whose stories she tells and is a very good resource on Korean history dating back to Japanese occupation)

- The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chan (a haunting but incredibly well-researched book about an atrocity that must rank among the worst in human history)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2020, 09:31:39 pm »
Have you read James Holland for war stuff? 

His Normandy 1944 is excellent.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2020, 10:37:18 pm »
'Blood of the Clans' on BBC.

Neil Oliver beong a bit melodramatic but a fascinating series about the internecine warfare between the Highland clans - think Game of Thrones sans dragons - in the late Stuart/early Georgian period.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2020, 10:38:26 pm »

- The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chan (a haunting but incredibly well-researched book about an atrocity that must rank among the worst in human history)

Didn't Iris Chan commit suicide through researching the book?

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2020, 10:38:27 pm »

Neil Oliver beong a bit melodramatic but a fascinating series about the internecine warfare between the Highland clans - think Game of Thrones sans dragons - in the late Stuart/early Georgian period.

I was about to say the Red Wedding episode was set on one of the clan's battles, sounds like it could be good will give it a go.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2020, 10:41:19 pm »
I was about to say the Red Wedding episode was set on one of the clan's battles, sounds like it could be good will give it a go.

It's the treachery and double dealing that's very GoT, particularly the way the English (Lannisters) play the clans against each other to their advantage.

And I never knew Rob Roy actually existed.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2020, 04:07:40 pm »

I enjoyed the first episode, a lot of mean looking men in that.  ;D

Rob Roy is next.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2020, 09:43:42 am »

Thanks for the tip.

It's been quite quiet recently on the decent historical documentary front. There hasn`t been much on recently
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2020, 09:53:28 am »
It was superb.

Gulley commenting earlier this year on the 'Death of a King' which has just been repeated on the Beeb - it deals with the politics and arm twisting behind the trial of Charles I.

And the highlighted quote - What a wonderfully gentlemanly way of expressing desire. :D

Gulley will be sadly missed.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2020, 05:46:10 pm »
Gulley commenting earlier this year on the 'Death of a King' which has just been repeated on the Beeb - it deals with the politics and arm twisting behind the trial of Charles I.

And the highlighted quote - What a wonderfully gentlemanly way of expressing desire. :D

Gulley will be sadly missed.

That was a really interesting documentary very well done.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2020, 07:11:23 pm »
Didn't Iris Chan commit suicide through researching the book?

Not sure it was ever determined, but she was certainty affected by the heavy subject matter she researched throughout her career.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2021, 09:11:55 am »
They have found pretty convincing evidence that Stone Henge was actually originally located in Pembrokeshire, 3 miles from where the stones were initially quarried. It is thought that Stone Henge stood there for approximately 400 years before then being dragged (or floated) to Wiltshire where Stone Henge was re-consturcted as a second-hand stone circle.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/12/dramatic-discovery-links-stonehenge-to-its-original-site-in-wales

Further more, it is thought that this may the origin of Geoffrey of Monmouth´s story, written around 1000 A.D. (some 4,000 years later) about Merlin leading a group of men to capture a magical stone circle known as the "Giants Dance" from Ireland.

That means that this story would possibly have been passed down by word of mouth from generation to generation, for 4,000 years, eventually being twisted into this story about Merlin.

Fascinating stuff and the reason I love history. Really gets your mind going thinking about how these Neolithic people lived, what their beliefs were and why they would see fit to drag Stone Henge hundreds of miles away to be rebuilt.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2021, 07:15:17 pm »
Has anyone been watching the documentaries on the Boleyn family which has been on BBC2 recently? A really interesting mix of Tudor shenanigans. I used to hate doing doing this at school in my history lessons, but the way they make these documentaries is quite a fun way of re-discovering what went on in the Tudor court.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2021, 10:54:31 pm »
Has anyone been watching the documentaries on the Boleyn family which has been on BBC2 recently? A really interesting mix of Tudor shenanigans. I used to hate doing doing this at school in my history lessons, but the way they make these documentaries is quite a fun way of re-discovering what went on in the Tudor court.

I went to a Catholic grammar school so to say that Henry VIII got a bad press is an understatement but as time's gone by I've discovered that the Tudor period is the basis of modern Britain, down to Elizabeth I backing Drake's early forays into the slave trade.

There's been decent three part documentary by Tracey Borman - 'Henry VIII and then men who made him' which gives an idea of te political and religious machinations during Henry's era.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2021, 11:37:48 pm »
I went to a Catholic grammar school so to say that Henry VIII got a bad press is an understatement but as time's gone by I've discovered that the Tudor period is the basis of modern Britain, down to Elizabeth I backing Drake's early forays into the slave trade.

There's been decent three part documentary by Tracey Borman - 'Henry VIII and then men who made him' which gives an idea of te political and religious machinations during Henry's era.

That sounds interesting as well, may look that out. Tudor stuff is way more interesting than how I remember it in school and there are a number of fascinating documentaries around at the moment. As you say, that Tudor timescale is still felt today. It was really interesting the part at the end where Elizabeth I visits the Boleyn's former strong hold, especially as she wasn't allowed to mention her mother or her family when she was with Henry VIII.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2022, 06:27:53 pm »
Can we talk about audible on this? :D  I decided to buy the Hollow Crown by Dan Jones with one of my free credits and I'm so enjoying it. He is reading a lot of the book and he has such an easy manner about it. Reading about thousands of people dying on a battlefield has never seemed as relaxing (if that's not too awful!). Edward IV is a real surprise to me though, when he became King, I never realised he was so young. His first few years were actually incredible when you listen to everything he did in the beginning, albeit with a few mistakes attached as well. But for anyone interested in this I really recommend it.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2023, 10:23:27 pm »
I thought this might be a good night to forget our football woes and relaunch this thread. Anyone seen any good history documentaries lately? Having begun to rewatch the Last Kingdom I actually visited youtube and there are some great videos on there about the various real characters from the show.

Alfred the Great

https://youtu.be/2hHw0NQSABY

Æthelflæd

https://youtu.be/KPN6pmlVMes

Edward the Elder

https://youtu.be/dQa3UpU5R9c

Some really quality made documentaries there and why is it this age of history is not done in schools, a damn sight more interesting than William the Conqueror I think.  8)

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2023, 11:06:03 pm »
I've recently rewatched The Last Tommies on YouTube a BBC programme I first watched when it came out about 20 years or so ago.

It contained interviews with the final survivors of the trenches, many of them had passed away before the programme was even broadcast.

What always lived with me was Harry Patch, who eventually became the last surviving fighting Tommy until he passed away in 2009. His distinctive Bristolian accent was hard to miss. I even bought his autobiography.

Mad to think that there's not a single survivor of that war now, and very few around that were even born during the conflict.

It won't be long until we have the same conversation about the second world war.  I believe the BBC are making a similar documentary.

When you think what these young men went through and for what, nothing!

I recently watched All Quiet on the Western Front that tells the story of the war from a German perspective.

As Harry Patch said, there are no winners in war!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2023, 08:38:41 pm »
I've recently rewatched The Last Tommies on YouTube a BBC programme I first watched when it came out about 20 years or so ago.

It contained interviews with the final survivors of the trenches, many of them had passed away before the programme was even broadcast.

What always lived with me was Harry Patch, who eventually became the last surviving fighting Tommy until he passed away in 2009. His distinctive Bristolian accent was hard to miss. I even bought his autobiography.

Mad to think that there's not a single survivor of that war now, and very few around that were even born during the conflict.

It won't be long until we have the same conversation about the second world war.  I believe the BBC are making a similar documentary.

I recently watched All Quiet on the Western Front that tells the story of the war from a German perspective.

I will have to look that one out, there is all sorts on iplayer I keep meaning to watch. Was that the film that won a lot of awards the other night? I remember watching Regeneration which was about the treatment of soldiers from the western front, a very memorable film.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2023, 08:46:35 pm »
Can we talk about audible on this? :D  I decided to buy the Hollow Crown by Dan Jones with one of my free credits and I'm so enjoying it. He is reading a lot of the book and he has such an easy manner about it. Reading about thousands of people dying on a battlefield has never seemed as relaxing (if that's not too awful!). Edward IV is a real surprise to me though, when he became King, I never realised he was so young. His first few years were actually incredible when you listen to everything he did in the beginning, albeit with a few mistakes attached as well. But for anyone interested in this I really recommend it.

Edward IV was probably the closest thing you'd get to ASoIaF's Robert Baratheon. Lived for war, was unbeatable in war, fearsome in battle, became a fat bastard in peace.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2023, 08:51:20 pm »
Edward IV was probably the closest thing you'd get to ASoIaF's Robert Baratheon. Lived for war, was unbeatable in war, fearsome in battle, became a fat bastard in peace.

He was a fearsome looking fella. This is a portrait of him marching to the Battle of Barnet in 1471

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2023, 09:04:14 pm »

My Brother in law knew Flight Lieutenant Charles Philip Blackham, he was born in 1923 in Stockport and flew Lancasters with 550 squadron. He joined up when he was 18, bombed Hitlers Eagles nest when he was 21/22 and did food drops from the Lancaster over Holland in 1945. He passed away at 96 years of age in 2019. He'd have been 100 this year. The youngest of those who served will be around 96 now
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2023, 10:14:00 pm »

A lot of the Game of Throne characters are based on historical characters just like the Last Kingdom as well. There was a good video that was done on the subject.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2023, 10:16:47 pm »
A lot of the Game of Throne characters are based on historical characters just like the Last Kingdom as well. There was a good video that was done on the subject.

I listened to a podcast a few years back called Rex Factor - which was a run through the Kings and Queens in the UK, starting from Alfred the Great. Quite enjoyed it, it was a bit light hearted but quite informative too. Don't know if you've listened to it?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.