Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 586637 times)

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #14160 on: Yesterday at 02:45:57 am »
Ian Graham was still at Liverpool when Nunez was signed. I would be shocked if the data team didnt like him considering how much getting high quality shots matters.
Gakpo also got a lot of shots in the netherlands. Klopp might have had final say but the data and Scouts seemed to had to be board with everything

I thought Klopp wanted Nunez, the ‘nerds’ wanted Nkunku but Klopp did not, labelled / called him a talking donkey, and so the club signed Nunez instead …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #14161 on: Yesterday at 03:17:33 am »
I thought Klopp wanted Nunez, the ‘nerds’ wanted Nkunku but Klopp did not, labelled / called him a talking donkey, and so the club signed Nunez instead …

eh? Where’s this coming from?  ;D

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #14162 on: Yesterday at 03:33:14 am »
No idea about the donkey stuff but it’s been repeated enough by various reporters that the normal structure the club had would not have signed Nunez and Klopp wanted him anyway seems pretty accepted as fact. Which is funny in that from a stats standpoint he’s actually done as well as could be hoped. But nobody could tell that beforehand. It’s also annoying in the Klopp seems to have a love/hate relationship with Nunez but he’s the one that wanted to sign him so ????

Anyway, I expect Slot will be given next season to figure out what forwards work for him and it will basically include everyone we currently have.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #14163 on: Yesterday at 04:07:58 am »

Shrek

;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14164 on: Yesterday at 04:23:03 am »
Shrek

;D

;D

Probably more legitimate than anything in these last couple pages! Some mad stuff posted here, people far too gullible half the time, believing ‘sources close to’ stories!

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #14165 on: Yesterday at 05:23:47 am »

i was wrong, it’s fake news!
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14166 on: Yesterday at 06:24:07 am »
I would be shocked if the data didnt like nunez he gets so many chances. He did at Benfica also

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #14167 on: Yesterday at 06:28:25 am »
To my mind it’s a given that the new manager will bring his own people with him, so he can implement his coaching and conditioning as optimally as possible. Depending on what the new man emphasizes, there will be fitness, recovery, nutrition and psychology elements, to go along with the actual coaching of the players and setting the team up. I think if a unit arrives together, and they all know what Slot wants, it will help. Slot trusts them and backs them.

The main point of possible delay will be in how quickly the players start to play according to Slot’s wishes. Since they are adaptable and high level pros, I would imagine the transition will be quick.

Sod it, I’m calling it now - we are winning the league in his first season.

How much investment is there in their support team though? Whilst he may want his own people do they have top nutritionalists etc..

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14168 on: Yesterday at 06:46:47 am »
How much investment is there in their support team though? Whilst he may want his own people do they have top nutritionalists etc..

Yes from all accounts, their injury record is really good.

Change was always coming, the Klopp was built in and for Klopps image.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14169 on: Yesterday at 08:26:43 am »
Can't ever remember a cull like this, regarding coaching & medical staff leaving. To hardly have any staff left after 9 years, is worrying.

The medical department arguably needs an overhaul. Last couple of years have been a joke with injury and fitness issues and players breaking down with the same injury when they come back.

When a manager leaves the coaches going with them is fairly routine and new managers brings in his own team.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14170 on: Yesterday at 08:40:25 am »

How have you said this a number of times without sharing where you saw it?  ;D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #14171 on: Yesterday at 08:47:45 am »
The medical department arguably needs an overhaul. Last couple of years have been a joke with injury and fitness issues and players breaking down with the same injury when they come back.

When a manager leaves the coaches going with them is fairly routine and new managers brings in his own team.

And it will get one as a lot of the current fitness staff are leaving with Klopp. Feyenoord are trying to block our taking their fitness coach but I presume he can just buy himself out of his contract with our giving that to him in the form of a signing-on fee.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14172 on: Yesterday at 08:48:04 am »
Yes from all accounts, their injury record is really good.

Change was always coming, the Klopp was built in and for Klopps image.

Literally in the case mini-me Kornmayer.

I suspect Slot’s team won’t be exactly like-for-like replacements for Klopp’s team anyway. He’ll have his own way of doing things and dividing up responsibilities.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14173 on: Yesterday at 08:49:10 am »
Hopefully, we can get our 'ins' sorted during the pre-season. The 'outs' can take as long as it takes to balance the books. The more time Slot has with the squad before the season starts the better.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14174 on: Yesterday at 08:50:20 am »
The thing about Nunez and Gakpo was that, unlike the likes of Bobby, Mane and Jota, that their stats on pressing wasnt particularly good/prevalent.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14175 on: Yesterday at 08:54:14 am »
The thing about Nunez and Gakpo was that, unlike the likes of Bobby, Mane and Jota, that their stats on pressing wasnt particularly good/prevalent.

That is the case now but that may change.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14176 on: Yesterday at 08:55:11 am »

I'd agree, Gakpo especially is very slow to start the press.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14177 on: Yesterday at 09:09:03 am »

Pressing isn't about speed it's about triggers and positioning. Sometimes you don't even have to press you can block off passing lanes.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14178 on: Yesterday at 09:24:54 am »
No idea about the donkey stuff but it’s been repeated enough by various reporters that the normal structure the club had would not have signed Nunez and Klopp wanted him anyway seems pretty accepted as fact. Which is funny in that from a stats standpoint he’s actually done as well as could be hoped. But nobody could tell that beforehand. It’s also annoying in the Klopp seems to have a love/hate relationship with Nunez but he’s the one that wanted to sign him so ????

Anyway, I expect Slot will be given next season to figure out what forwards work for him and it will basically include everyone we currently have.

The thing is, there's no point signing a player the manager/coach doesn't want, no matter what the spreadsheet says. There's enough examples of that through the Rodgers era. It's a sure fire way of wasting money.

If Klopp for example was against the signing of Nkunku then we shouldn't have signed him. At the same time you still need everyone to sign off on Nunez, but I think the point that's been briefed is that structure was no longer in place. It's about checks and balances. Benteke should never have been signed off on for example, whether Rodgers wanted him or not.

I made the point around the time we signed Gakpo that Nunez/Gakpo signings (at least as a combination) were reminiscent of when we signed Benteke and Firmino at the same time. It never smacked of joined up thinking and stretegic thought.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:29:22 am by Fromola »

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14179 on: Yesterday at 09:26:42 am »
Pressing isn't about speed it's about triggers and positioning. Sometimes you don't even have to press you can block off passing lanes.

But it's about being quick off the mark not always being on your heels. Lallana wasn't fast but he was super intelligent and would trigger before it was needed.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14180 on: Yesterday at 10:12:25 am »
Probably quicker to list who isn't leaving at this stage... Mona??

This one maybe not that surprising - our fitness/conditioning and injury prevention has been pretty shit for a while, and there was that hit piece on the medical and conditioning departments a year or so ago that most thought was briefed by Edwards, so with Klopp gone this sort of felt inevitable.

Slot will want to bring in his own people familiar with his demands.

Sorry what was this about? Which one of Simon Hughes or James Pearce did a hit job on them and what did it say?

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14181 on: Yesterday at 10:28:38 am »
But it's about being quick off the mark not always being on your heels. Lallana wasn't fast but he was super intelligent and would trigger before it was needed.

Other than Bobby Lallana was absolutely our best presser, was ridiculous how good he was at it.

Scored at least one goal from pressing the keeper so hard he fumbled his kick and bounced it off Lallana into the net. Was one of my favorite goals of the Klopp era for how it displayed how deadly the press was.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14182 on: Yesterday at 10:40:12 am »
Sorry what was this about? Which one of Simon Hughes or James Pearce did a hit job on them and what did it say?

Hughes did a pretty lengthy hit piece in The Athletic at some point last season. A lot of smoke and mirrors, but Kornmayer and his influence was much maligned. It was around the time there were a lot of rumblings about Ljinders's influence on Gakpo/tactics and we were getting constant injuries and fitness issues.

Obviously briefed by someone with a grievance. With FSG looking to sell up, it was a shitshow all round last season on and off the pitch, so all the briefings and mud slinging weren't helping either.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:42:43 am by Fromola »

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14183 on: Yesterday at 11:01:31 am »
Other than Bobby Lallana was absolutely our best presser, was ridiculous how good he was at it.

Scored at least one goal from pressing the keeper so hard he fumbled his kick and bounced it off Lallana into the net. Was one of my favorite goals of the Klopp era for how it displayed how deadly the press was.

If only we had a player who could do that!

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14184 on: Yesterday at 11:04:01 am »

I get why we moved away from the gengenpressing but fuck me it was fun to watch the red swarm.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #14185 on: Yesterday at 11:29:55 am »

https://theathletic.com/3597043/2022/09/16/liverpool-medical-department/

If you’re on an iPhone, open the link, don’t scroll and put it in reader mode, it bypasses the paywall. Sorry if you already knew this or already subscribe.

Was a cheap shot from Hughes really.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14186 on: Yesterday at 11:33:00 am »
Literally in the case mini-me Kornmayer.

I suspect Slot’s team won’t be exactly like-for-like replacements for Klopp’s team anyway. He’ll have his own way of doing things and dividing up responsibilities.

How much of the new staff coming in will be Slot's team and how much will be club appointed?  Of course, the new manager will bring with him his assistants but I wonder if a lot of the backroom staff like injury and prevention staff would be club appointed who would likely remain long term rather then come and go with different managers. 

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14187 on: Yesterday at 12:44:26 pm »
How much of the new staff coming in will be Slot's team and how much will be club appointed?  Of course, the new manager will bring with him his assistants but I wonder if a lot of the backroom staff like injury and prevention staff would be club appointed who would likely remain long term rather then come and go with different managers.

the club would be mad to let him bring in too many. Of course, they hope this appointment will work long term, but there is no guarantee. Letting a new coach bring in too many staff is not the best idea. You see it more these days though, didn’t Potter take a ridiculous amount of staff from Brighton to Chelsea?

There was rumours they wanted a club doctor or something too from Feyenoord? But that isn’t happening. And of course Feyenoord aren’t just going to let loads of other staff go easily.  They won’t want to replace a whole team either.

Kloppo only came here with 2 assistants. And that is how it really should be usually!

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14188 on: Yesterday at 12:58:56 pm »
the club would be mad to let him bring in too many. Of course, they hope this appointment will work long term, but there is no guarantee. Letting a new coach bring in too many staff is not the best idea. You see it more these days though, didn’t Potter take a ridiculous amount of staff from Brighton to Chelsea?

There was rumours they wanted a club doctor or something too from Feyenoord? But that isn’t happening. And of course Feyenoord aren’t just going to let loads of other staff go easily.  They won’t want to replace a whole team either.

Kloppo only came here with 2 assistants. And that is how it really should be usually!

Klopp had also been out of work though, so a lot of the other staff he might have brought with him had likely settled at Dortmund under Tuchel, or left at the same time as Klopp and found new employment elsewhere. He steadily brought more and more from his time in Germany after his first season.

I think it makes perfect sense for Slot to bring as many as he can, especially on the coaching side. They know how he works and will be aligned to that.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14189 on: Yesterday at 01:00:21 pm »

Edwards was heavily involved in building the back room so I'd expect he's doing the same, we now need to replace Kornmayer as well as Schlumberger.

Wonder if we go back for Jacobsen.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14190 on: Yesterday at 01:04:26 pm »
Klopp had also been out of work though, so a lot of the other staff he might have brought with him had likely settled at Dortmund under Tuchel, or left at the same time as Klopp and found new employment elsewhere. He steadily brought more and more from his time in Germany after his first season.

I think it makes perfect sense for Slot to bring as many as he can, especially on the coaching side. They know how he works and will be aligned to that.

no, he wouldn’t have brought anyone else!  They where all BVB staff. He took the same 2 as he did from Mainz to Dortmund. It’s how it worked for years. It seems to be a recent thing that some coaches now try and take loads with them. I think Conte did the same, probably loads of examples.

It’s because he settled here did really well and the club saw that he could basically run the whole operation for them that he got a big say in bringing staff in a couple years later and onwards.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14191 on: Yesterday at 01:14:18 pm »
He went to Pleasure Island in the off season ;)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5BsKHXRVkcM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5BsKHXRVkcM</a>

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14192 on: Yesterday at 01:59:04 pm »
Gakpo is actually quite good now and even Darwin has improved. I actually think Diaz is pretty poor at it.

Point was though that usually, bar Salah, we targeted players good at pressing. Its quite clear that Gakpo and Nunez were not big on that at PSV and Benfica and the comments that are all in the public domain are that Klopp and Ljinders pushed for those players.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #14193 on: Yesterday at 02:06:04 pm »
If only we had a player who could do that!

You defend Nunez like a blood relative. Yet critique Quansah & accuse posters of 'pretending it isn't happening' when they try and explain why a 21 year old in his first season with the team, isn't flawless.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14194 on: Yesterday at 03:47:11 pm »
Gakpo is actually quite good now and even Darwin has improved. I actually think Diaz is pretty poor at it.

Point was though that usually, bar Salah, we targeted players good at pressing. Its quite clear that Gakpo and Nunez were not big on that at PSV and Benfica and the comments that are all in the public domain are that Klopp and Ljinders pushed for those players.

We haven't really been a full-on pressing team since 17/18. We have matches where we will bring it back, or even moments in matches where we will turn it on, but from 18/19 we've basically pressed less and less year-on-year. Hopefully we go back to it a bit more with Slot.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #14195 on: Yesterday at 04:12:53 pm »

Darwin is very good at it now compared to when he arrived, learnt to also press the GK into passing it where the team wants.

Gakpo and Jota are also good at it imo.

Diaz is quite average and Mo saves his legs mostly for when in possession these days.