Author Topic: Raheem Shaquille Sterling  (Read 676614 times)

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
Re: Raheem Shaquille Sterling
« Reply #4040 on: June 5, 2014, 11:24:05 am »
A yellow card for Raheem at the most, wild challenge my arse it was hardly a two footed lunge.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #4041 on: June 5, 2014, 11:25:47 am »
Fuck off back to the Manure Thread you clown.

Anyone with a functioning pair of eyes can see what your scummy player did, not only once but twice.

You can see the intent in his face in this one:

If that's not a 3 match ban for violent conduct, then I don't know what is.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline lea7kewell

• Anny Roader
  • JFT 96
« Reply #4042 on: June 5, 2014, 11:29:05 am »
Can't believe anyone here thinks its anything other than a  straight red. He barreled into the tackle with the full weight of his body, totally uncontrolled... If Valencia had his leg planted rather than doing that leap, Sterling would have detached it at the hip. I think the fact its a Liverpool player v a United player is colouring people's views here. Its a bad tackle. he needs to learn. The reaction is incidental from a player who has had his leg broken previously and was probably channeling that fear as well. Better Sterling gets a red card for  a dangerous and stupid tackle now, in a meaningless game (with a meaningless team) and learns to cut that out of his game, rather than he arrives back next season and gets red card in a more important match.

I take it you've been duped by the still images where it looks like Sterling is about to snap his leg in half? The ones that all United fans are currently whinging about?

If you watch the video of it his tackling leg clips the ball, makes ZERO contact with his planted/lifted leg - and infact it's his trailing leg which makes the contact - which would only cause an injury if Valencia changed his name to Keiron Dyer.

People can say what they like about "If Valencia hadn't of done this he would have died etc" but the fact of the matter is Sterling hit the ball, missed the player and then caught him on the follow through. It's like saying if only Aaron Ramsey didnt get to the ball ahead of Shawcross...

Reckless and a yellow at absolute worse. Valencia's reaction was unnaceptable and got them both sent off.
There are places I remember - All my life, though some have changed - Some forever, not for better - Some have gone and some remain ...

Offline Koprich

• Fan categorisation police.
  • Kopite
« Reply #4043 on: June 5, 2014, 11:29:58 am »

Go back to Red Cafe will ya? It was only Sterling's trailing leg which even touched Valencia. It was a slightly rash challenge and probably deserving of a yellow but no way on this earth was that a straight red. Valencia's reaction was disgusting. Just glad to see Sterling didn't rise to the bait and showed his class.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #4044 on: June 5, 2014, 11:43:55 am »
Ok, am I the only one whose seeing that he got the ball?

Barely a fucking yellow. FFS Valencia is such a c*nt.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4045 on: June 5, 2014, 11:48:42 am »

I didn't even think it was a foul

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4046 on: June 5, 2014, 11:51:47 am »
Having watched it again it's probably a yellow card. It's that c*nt Valencia's dirty throat grabbing bollocks that gets him sent off.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #4047 on: June 5, 2014, 11:52:05 am »
"IF VALENCIA'S FOOT HAD BEEN PLANTED, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SNAPPED".

A lot of soft people floating around the sport these days. Every second day people come out with this sort of nonsense. ANY tackle can snap a leg, if a leg is planted.

Ref bottled it.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #4048 on: June 5, 2014, 11:52:41 am »

Not a foul. Not a yellow. Not a red.

Online cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4049 on: June 5, 2014, 11:53:31 am »
There's currently at least one Vine and several pictures going around that show the tackle in a much more negative light than it actually deserves. It was probably worth a yellow card considering he didn't get much of the ball, but that's about it. I'm a bit sick of seeing all of this "if Valencia's leg had been planted" stuff - his leg wasn't planted. All is well. I can see where Valencia is coming from given his previous injury, and I might have freaked out too, but to see both as equally culpable is a bit much.

Anyway, Donkeywan is right - it's a learning experience for Raheem and hopefully he'll be a bit more careful in the future. Considering there's unlikely to be any kind of actual repercussion (especially for Sterling), all this has really done is give Liverpool-ManU one more little chapter.

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4050 on: June 5, 2014, 12:03:07 pm »
Fuck off back to the Manure Thread you clown.

Anyone with a functioning pair of eyes can see what your scummy player did, not only once but twice.

You can see the intent in his face in this one:

Fair enough, I only saw it from another view but yeah, he does throttle him.
Bad reaction from Valencia to be fair.
When ze seagulls follow ze trawler....

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #4051 on: June 5, 2014, 12:19:54 pm »
Yes, deserved red for both.
Sterling was just over enthusiastic to claim a place, He wasn't trying to injure Valencia but to do that in a friendly before a WC is just daft. Valencia's reaction was understandable considering he's already had a very nasty leg break before, but you just can't put your hands on a player.
:lmao What utter bollocks. "What if" could be said about every tackle ever made. His tackling foot rolls over the ball but that doesn't matter as that foot is never close to connecting with Valencia. His trailing leg on the follow through is what catches Valencia. A booking at the absolute most IF the ref wrongly thinks "what if" about his foot rolling over the ball. The linesman has a perfect view and gives a throw-in ffs.
XBL: Flash6289

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4052 on: June 5, 2014, 12:27:33 pm »
:lmao What utter bollocks. "What if" could be said about every tackle ever made. His tackling foot rolls over the ball but that doesn't matter as that foot is never close to connecting with Valencia. His trailing leg on the follow through is what catches Valencia. A booking at the absolute most IF the ref wrongly thinks "what if" about his foot rolling over the ball. The linesman has a perfect view and gives a throw-in ffs.

I didn't say "what if".
The rules are clear, Using excessive force means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent. A player who uses excessive force shall be sent off.

The ref followed the rules, both players were stupid and deserved their cards, it's just one of those things that happens in football now and again. Nothing worth getting angry about.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #4053 on: June 5, 2014, 12:29:19 pm »
He should have snapped his fucking leg the horrible c*nt. Would have done the Mancs a favour anyway.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4054 on: June 5, 2014, 12:29:31 pm »
They had a bit of a ding-dong at the Anfield game in September too didn't they? Raheem almost blinded him. Well that's how it appeared when Valenica went down.

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4055 on: June 5, 2014, 12:31:47 pm »
He should have snapped his fucking leg the horrible c*nt. Would have done the Mancs a favour anyway.

I feel sorry for people who think like you.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #4056 on: June 5, 2014, 12:32:12 pm »
I didn't say "what if".
The post you replied to and agreed with said "Had his leg been planted..."  :wave

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4057 on: June 5, 2014, 12:32:53 pm »
I didn't say "what if".
The rules are clear, Using excessive force means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent. A player who uses excessive force shall be sent off.

The ref followed the rules, both players were stupid and deserved their cards, it's just one of those things that happens in football now and again. Nothing worth getting angry about.

If that's excessive force then tough, aggressive football is dead. Flanno would have been sent off about 5 or 6 times last season.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4058 on: June 5, 2014, 12:33:53 pm »
I feel sorry for people who think like you.

Well just ignore it then. In reality I agree with you, even how much I think Valencia was the bigger idiot in this one, and yeah otherwise as well of course! :=)

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4059 on: June 5, 2014, 12:34:31 pm »
If that's excessive force then tough, aggressive football is dead. Flanno would have been sent off about 5 or 6 times last season.

Tough, aggressive football has been dead for a long time, haven't you noticed?

Whether you agree it should be or not makes no difference, the rules are what they are.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4060 on: June 5, 2014, 12:35:18 pm »
Dan Roan ‏@danroan  21m
Sterling distraught about dismissal v Ecuador. Apologised personally to Hodgson last night. Has shone in training but misses Honduras chance

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #4061 on: June 5, 2014, 12:37:19 pm »
Tough, aggressive football has been dead for a long time, haven't you noticed?

Whether you agree it should be or not makes no difference, the rules are what they are.
Tackles like that are made week in, week out without any cards being shown. It wasn't "use of excessive force" because he didn't use excessive force and only caught him with the trailing leg which has much less force in it than the straight tackling leg...  ::)

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #4062 on: June 5, 2014, 12:38:26 pm »
From what is being said on this board not many of you have ever played football, certainly not in the times before Sky sold us their wonderful product. Most football league clubs had a renowned tackler on their books, we had Tommy Smith, Graeme  Souness, Phil Thompson was more of an artist, he would take the ball and the opponent never knew he had lost it. Norman "Bites ya legs" Hunter, Billy Bremner, Nobby Styles, "Chopper" Harris, the list go's on and on and these players were selected for their ability to take the ball off an opposing player. I remember an occasion in the fifties, we were playing against I.CI Chemicals in the Cheshire Senior Cup, not sure of my age but I think I was about 15. I was playing Right half No. 4 in today's money I suppose I would have been a defensive midfielder, I was up against an old fella not old old man in footballing terms, he was wearing the No.10 in the whole of the first half he hardly got a touch of the ball, he was quite skillful but very slow (too many Guinness) as we were walking off the pitch at half time he came up to me, put his arm round my shoulder and said " If you carry on taking the ball off me I will break your leg, this is my living you are fucking with". I didn't understand what he meant   When we got in the dressing room I told Tom Bush what had been said, he explained that this guy got his job with ICI because he had been a Professional footballer, also an International for Ireland, he was the player coach of ICI. Tom Bush said he didn´t want to tell me about him before the game started, he thought it might put me off my game. Sorry to have gone on a bit, but if tackling is ever taken out of the game, I feel it's on it's way now, then football will never be the same again, referees have to stamp out diving, it's cheating nothing less, but it will be very difficult for them, there are quite a few good solutions but it's up to the authorities to have the bollocks to implement them.

Forgot Jimmy case, one of the very best
« Last Edit: June 5, 2014, 01:03:40 pm by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4063 on: June 5, 2014, 12:43:48 pm »
Dan Roan ‏@danroan  21m
Sterling distraught about dismissal v Ecuador. Apologised personally to Hodgson last night. Has shone in training but misses Honduras chance

He's a great young player who let enthusiasm get the better of him, he'll learn and grow as a player from this mistake i'm sure.

Tackles like that are made week in, week out without any cards being shown. It wasn't "use of excessive force" because he didn't use excessive force and only caught him with the trailing leg which has much less force in it than the straight tackling leg...  ::)

Tackles like that are made all the time in international football are they?
I think some need to take their blinkers off, Liverpool players are capable of making silly challenges occasionally too you know.
The ref was spot on, i'll leave it there because i've no wish to go round in circles.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #4064 on: June 5, 2014, 12:47:56 pm »
I think some need to take their blinkers off, Liverpool players are capable of making silly challenges occasionally too you know.
Funny you think some of us need to take our blinkers off after saying Valencia's reaction was "understandable" and that "the comments on him throttling Sterling are laughable"...  ::)

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4065 on: June 5, 2014, 12:48:08 pm »

The last time I heard that at a kids football match in Liverpool one of the dads shouted to his lad, "snap his fucking leg", he was talking about my grandson, what a despicable thing to say to anybody never mind a couple of 12 yr olds, I had a word with him.

Valencia has always had a short fuse and is a prolific diver. 
« Last Edit: June 5, 2014, 12:52:53 pm by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4066 on: June 5, 2014, 12:50:41 pm »
He's a great young player who let enthusiasm get the better of him, he'll learn and grow as a player from this mistake i'm sure.
Agree with this basically. Although I think it's the sort of challenge he'll make throughout his career as it's the clichéd 'strikers challenge.'

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #4067 on: June 5, 2014, 12:52:31 pm »
Agree with this basically. Although I think it's the sort of challenge he'll make throughout his career as it's the clichéd 'strikers challenge.'
Rooney did exactly the same kind of tackle towards the end of the match against Peru. Didn't hear any mancs saying it was excessive force then...

Wasn't given as a foul just like Raheem's wouldn't have if not for 'Tony V'...
« Last Edit: June 5, 2014, 12:54:50 pm by Flash6289 »

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #4068 on: June 5, 2014, 12:56:19 pm »
I didn't say "what if".

In that case every tackle Rafael makes should be a red card.

When you have the two fastest players on the pitch running for the ball and one of them goes to ground of course there will be force in the tackle. Sterling can hardly put the brakes on then tackle as Valencia would be gone then. So are you saying that fast players are not allowed to slide tackle? Or can you explain to me how Sterling can slide tackle Valencia there with less force while both players are sprinting towards the ball?
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4069 on: June 5, 2014, 01:00:52 pm »
Yellow for Sterling, got the ball but an unneccesary challenge. Valencia's a twat and deserved the red as most people would agree, even on Redcafe.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4070 on: June 5, 2014, 01:01:22 pm »
Rooney did exactly the same kind of tackle towards the end of the match against Peru. Didn't hear any mancs saying it was excessive force then...

Wasn't given as a foul just like Raheem's wouldn't have if not for 'Tony V'...
Don't think the Sterling's tackle had excessive force or was bad, but it was stupid to go flying in like that.

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4071 on: June 5, 2014, 01:04:17 pm »
From what is being said on this board not many of you have ever played football, certainly not in the times before Sky sold us their wonderful product. Most football league clubs had a renowned tackler on their books, we had Tommy Smith, Graeme  Souness, Phil Thompson was more of an artist, he would take the ball and the opponent never knew he had lost it. Norman "Bites ya legs" Hunter, Billy Bremner, Nobby Styles, "Chopper" Harris, the list go's on and on and these players were selected for their ability to take the ball off an opposing player. I remember an occasion in the fifties, we were playing against I.CI Chemicals in the Cheshire Senior Cup, not sure of my age but I think I was about 15. I was playing Right half No. 4 in today's money I suppose I would have been a defensive midfielder, I was up against an old fella not old old man in footballing terms, he was wearing the No.10 in the whole of the first half he hardly got a touch of the ball, he was quite skillful but very slow (too many Guinness) as we were walking off the pitch at half time he came up to me, put his arm round my shoulder and said " If you carry on taking the ball off me I will break your leg, this is my living you are fucking with". I didn't understand what he meant   When we got in the dressing room I told Tom Bush what had been said, he explained that this guy got his job with ICI because he had been a Professional footballer, also an International for Ireland, he was the player coach of ICI. Tom Bush said he didn´t want to tell me about him before the game started, he thought it might put me off my game. Sorry to have gone on a bit, but if tackling is ever taken out of the game, I feel it's on it's way now, then football will never be the same again, referees have to stamp out diving, it's cheating nothing less, but it will be very difficult for them, there are quite a few good solutions but it's up to the authorities to have the bollocks to implement them.

What would the likes of Souness, Styles and Harris have done to a young lad like Sterling had he tried that on them? Being grabbed around the neck and getting sent off would have been the least of his worries.

Funny you think some of us need to take our blinkers off after saying Valencia's reaction was "understandable" and that "the comments on him throttling Sterling are laughable"...  ::)

But I also retracted it once I saw it from another angle, and from the start I stated Valencia deserved the red card. Yes his reaction however stupid was understandable, he's suffered from a bad leg break before and these sort of challenges shouldn't be happening in an international friendly a week before the WC.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #4072 on: June 5, 2014, 01:08:59 pm »
But I also retracted it once I saw it from another angle, and from the start I stated Valencia deserved the red card. Yes his reaction however stupid was understandable, he's suffered from a bad leg break before and these sort of challenges shouldn't be happening in an international friendly a week before the WC.
There's no way of getting around the fact that Valencia is a continent-sized quim. Sterling is battling for his place and trying to show commitment and defensive responsibility, two things Hodgson seems to value over actual talent. He went in rashly, it was a poor tackle. But it happens every game. He used to be a good player, Valencia. Used to be. He should have tucked it in his pants and scooted away, because honestly, nothing riles a player more than you showing nothing and keep on digging in when you're being got at. Valencia disgraced himself in my opinion. Pathetic behaviour.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #4073 on: June 5, 2014, 01:12:01 pm »
There's no way of getting around the fact that Valencia is a continent-sized quim. Sterling is battling for his place and trying to show commitment and defensive responsibility, two things Hodgson seems to value over actual talent. He went in rashly, it was a poor tackle. But it happens every game. He used to be a good player, Valencia. Used to be. He should have tucked it in his pants and scooted away, because honestly, nothing riles a player more than you showing nothing and keep on digging in when you're being got at. Valencia disgraced himself in my opinion. Pathetic Manc behaviour.
;D

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #4074 on: June 5, 2014, 01:17:52 pm »
You didn't need to see it from another angle to see he throttled him from behind and then viciously shoved his hand into his throat when he turned around. Think that's more a case of opening your eyes than just taking the blinkers off...

And it's not just some pointless mid-season international friendly, it's a whole week before the WC so these two games are very important preparation and the players will obviously be taking them very seriously...  :wave

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #4075 on: June 5, 2014, 01:41:23 pm »
You didn't need to see it from another angle to see he throttled him from behind and then viciously shoved his hand into his throat when he turned around. Think that's more a case of opening your eyes than just taking the blinkers off...

And it's not just some pointless mid-season international friendly, it's a whole week before the WC so these two games are very important preparation and the players will obviously be taking them very seriously...  :wave
jesus wept...is there any balance to be had anymore in these debates?it was a bad challenge period.if it happened to sterling we,d be up in arms.the fact that valencia over-reacted is neither here nor there.hes a manc,and not a very nice one(are there any!!!) but lets be honest here,it was a reckless challenge,whether it deserved a red or not is debatable,but lets nots be too jingoistic about it!!

Offline ajwhite7

• Main Stander
  • YNWA 96
« Reply #4076 on: June 5, 2014, 01:43:49 pm »
I love the fact that Raheem doesn't seem to give a fuck, even with two hands around his throat!
You Low Expectation Havin' Motherfucker!

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4077 on: June 5, 2014, 01:53:57 pm »
"What would the likes of Souness, Styles and Harris have done to a young lad like Sterling had he tried that on them? Being grabbed around the neck and getting sent off would have been the least of his worries."

Quote cantona

I remember a young George Best nutmegging Tommy Smith, Tommy told him he would pay for that so George did him again

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4078 on: June 5, 2014, 02:03:10 pm »

The ref was spot on

Like fuck he was. He reacted on Valencia's throat grabbing. The linesman signaled a throw-in FFS.

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4079 on: June 5, 2014, 02:04:02 pm »
"What would the likes of Souness, Styles and Harris have done to a young lad like Sterling had he tried that on them? Being grabbed around the neck and getting sent off would have been the least of his worries."

Quote cantona

I remember a young George Best nutmegging Tommy Smith, Tommy told him he would pay for that so George did him again

Nice story but it wasn't what I asked though Vic, and not really applicable.
What would Tommy Smith have done if George Best tried to tackle him like Sterling did on Valencia?