Author Topic: Corners- why are we so poor at them? (Dates from 2005)  (Read 75797 times)

Offline nobluff

• In The Khazi
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Nobluff
Re: Corners- why are we so poor at them?
« Reply #320 on: September 21, 2008, 11:10:08 pm »
Thread is nearly 4 years old.  Just change the names of some of the players, and nothing has changed.
Don't mod if you're gonna become bitter and twisted.

I'm being "watched" because people are out to get me!

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #321 on: September 21, 2008, 11:12:49 pm »
We clearly do not practice them. The number of times we don't even beat the first man is absolutely unforgivable for professional players.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #322 on: September 21, 2008, 11:13:11 pm »
1) The people taking them
2) The Delivery
3) Lack of Height/Decent headers of the ball.
4) Leaving so many behind, when we bring all 10 back to defend them.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Мерфи

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: September 21, 2008, 11:22:02 pm »
fuckity fuck fuck fuck!!!

Really lads.  This is piss.  I'd just like to see a few of the lads answer a direct question in the post game after a game like this -- "Why are you lot so shit at corners.  Do you practice them.  Do you know the fundamentals of corners.  Do you fuck? "

Never argue with a fool . . . people may not know the difference .

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: September 21, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »
It's a number of things really. Poor delivery, little to no movement going on the penalty box, no hustle. At least make the fuckers work for jesus's sake.

The most frustrating thing is that there is just no excuse for it.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #325 on: September 21, 2008, 11:45:35 pm »
Its extraordinary that in four years a Manager as supposedly preoccupied with statistics as Rafa hasn't looked at how many goals Villa score from set pieces and made it a priority to sort it out. Baffling.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #326 on: September 22, 2008, 12:05:51 am »
Ive just seen something, this is probably the only thread where, save for the odd minor detail, everyone is in agreement with each other which is really amazing.

Rafa, please take note of this thread and realise that what we are doing is simply not good enough and is a major major weakness
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #327 on: September 22, 2008, 12:41:03 am »
yea, it really looks like we're looking for the 2nd ball in corners....really....i think rafa likes the ball to be cleared, and then we're in possession and shoot from distance?
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
« Reply #328 on: September 22, 2008, 01:41:57 am »
Is it fear of being caught on the break?  Just doesn't make sense to me and has pissed me off for years.  Poor delivery, no attack on the ball when clearly we have some good headers of the ball, and no movement.  Fucking players at other clubs bust their arses to get on the end of corners, yet the desperation is just not there from our team.
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #329 on: September 22, 2008, 02:27:24 am »
3) Lack of Height

See, I've heard people say this before, but I can't buy it. Last year when we played Pompey away we had shit loads of set pieces, and our team that day had Arby, Carra, Hyypia, Sissoko, Alonso and Crouch - all at-least pushing the 6ft mark.

You look at our team and it's rare that we don't at least have four or five different players who are 6ft plus.

Nando, Gerrard, Babel, Riera, Alonso, Agger, Skrtel, Carra, even Arby. I think Kuyt is around that mark too. I mean, we're not a slight team. It's is (or will be) rare that we don't have at least 5 of those guys on the pitch. Half the out field players.

As for the actual technique of heading the ball... well, without wishing to offend any defenders... it's surely easier than the other aspects of technique? It's a bit like blocking the ball. It's about reading the situation, showing some desire and timing - the jump in this case. Not saying everyone will turn in to Sami or Shearer if they do that, but they should still be able to get a decent connection. Maybe some people will disagree strongly, but I've always thought it's a technique that could be 'taught'. All techniques can be improved upon if you work at them, but some are more natural than others. I'm not sure you can teach vision or good finishing, I think you can enhance it, but it's something that's 'there'. Heading the ball? I think that's something you can be taught.

We fall down on the basic aspects. Skrtel still horribly miss-times his jumps on occasions and gets a terrible connection as a result. He does this defensively as well, but I'm thinking from corners recently against Marseille and Boro where he's actually shown the desire to get to the ball first but then got the connection all wrong.

We don't even display any basic knowledge of how to attack them. The only two runs you see from our corners is Carra coming in at the back post (what a waste that is given the ball never gets that far and he hadn't got a clue what to do with it on the one in a million occasion it reaches him), and Skrtel making a fairly straight run in the centre - the place that's most congested.

We don't run across the line of the ball to the front post looking for flicks, and as a result we don't drag any defenders out of the area Skrtel is attacking. We can bemoan the quality of delivery for all we want, but it's fucking difficult to pick out one Liverpool player in a group of 10 static bodies. We've got to use runners alot more than we do. Yesterday we had one good incident where Arby went to offer Gerrard the option of a short corner, and as a result pulled away the defender that was ready to rush out and stop the ball being rolled back to Alonso. As a result Alonso got his shot in.

Fuck me, it really can't be that difficult can it? It's not even something that should take time to teach. They're professional footballers, they're bound to have attacked the ball at some point in their lives. Even if it was with the youth teams. I can't believe we're having conversations about something so sodding basic. Something that isn't even based in technique. Fuck me, just run and if by some chance the ball comes to you, put it in the net.

Infuriating. Such simple things shouldn't even be a sodding issue. He can coach a team to go to the Nou Camp and win but can't figure out a fucking corner routine that is vaguely threatening.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #330 on: September 22, 2008, 02:48:50 am »
was just wondering, has there ever been an interview where Rafa was asked to explain how inexplicably shite we are at attacking corners?
it beggars belief that barring the manager & coaches, every Reds fans can see this is a serious flaw in our offensive arsenal and yet after so many seasons, it has not been rectified!!!

Offline Mascherrardorres

• Anny Roader
« Reply #331 on: September 22, 2008, 03:07:35 am »
Was watching Rentboys vs c*nts match. Hate to admit but when it comes to attacking corners and crosses, we have a lot to learn from them. Deliveries were mostly consistent, but it was the determination of both sets of players to get to the ball that set them apart from us. Pushing, shoving, elbowing, climbing... whatever it takes to be the first to the ball. Our lads certainly don't lack the height, pace nor size. They just seem to drop dead on their tracks when in the box.

Offline Fine Shagger, Danny Agger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: September 22, 2008, 06:44:42 am »
fuckity fuck fuck fuck!!!
I'd just like to see a few of the lads answer a direct question in the post game after a game like this -- "Why are you lot so shit at corners.  Do you practice them.  Do you know the fundamentals of corners.  Do you fuck?"

^ Tis the answer! ;D
If you can see Martin Skrtel, he can see you.  If you can't see Martin Skrtel, you may be moments away from certain death.

Offline Crouchy

• Legacy Fan
  • Vamos!
« Reply #333 on: September 22, 2008, 07:55:50 am »
Well we dont have the biggest of squads, probably only Skrtel, Agger and just maybe Torres who are a decnt height to nod the ball home.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #334 on: September 22, 2008, 08:00:52 am »
It's not all about height, when was the last time you saw 1 of our players attack the ball running in from the edge of the box?? i cant remember, Sami last season sometime?

Offline Crouchy

• Legacy Fan
  • Vamos!
« Reply #335 on: September 22, 2008, 08:08:44 am »
Actually your right, it's not always about height, Owen scores from alot of corners/free kicks and look how tall he is? Rafa needs to sort it out in training, we had enough quality on the pitch on Saturday to score atleast 1 goal from 20 corners.

Offline Moley

• Virgin, apparently...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice to mole you....I mean meet you
« Reply #336 on: September 22, 2008, 09:16:36 am »
Its not all about height. Gallas has scored a fair few.

I remember a couple of seasons ago, when Arsenal were battling for fourth with Spurs. Their big problem then was horrible set pieces (Wenger claimed to not practice them). They were much improved last season - and it won them a hell of a lot of points.

Would be interesting to see how many points Man U and Chelsea won through set pieces last season. I know in Mourinho's tenure John Terry was getting close to double figures for the season. I can genuinly see our centre halves not scroing these season - which is bizarre considering Skrtel has a fair few international goals to his name
BETFAIR REFERRAL CODE:  6GRRJ3CQV

Money for me and you!!

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #337 on: September 22, 2008, 09:25:44 am »
So where does the blame lie, The players? Rafa? Coaches??

Do we actually have an attacking coach?

Offline red_til_i_die

• Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina walks on water
« Reply #338 on: September 22, 2008, 09:30:05 am »
The team are too much of a bunch of pussies when the ball is in the air.

We shite at hitting a dead ball on a corner because we never beat first defender. The only time this season where we've done something from a corner was against the mancs.
Arbeloa took a corner and landed it right on top of Van Der Saar who flapped at it. Missed it and then blocked Dirk trying to put it in from about four yards.
Gerrard and Alonso for people that can hit the hollywood passes so well have awful delivery on corners.

Another problem is that we have about four players in the box and there all congested around the near post. No aggression.
God i hate to say this but i think Rafa needs to dig out some old tapes of Ruddock and Scales to show how you attack a corner.
Slappa da Bass mon! Slappa deee Bassssss!!!!!
Love you Bro-Montana

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #339 on: September 22, 2008, 11:54:55 am »
Well we dont have the biggest of squads, probably only Skrtel, Agger and just maybe Torres who are a decnt height to nod the ball home.

the best example, although not one I would have liked to bring up, is that Tim Cahill from the small club across the park.  not the tallest, but very good in terms of anticipating where the ball will land, getting into the right position, decent leap, strong heading capability.  if we had one player with his set piece ability..........

Offline Jonny J

• RAWK Kit Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • it's cyclical
« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2008, 12:14:50 pm »
Great... Rafa can watch next weeks tape eh?
We are truly piss when it comes to the corner.
20 frigging corners and none of them looked anywhere near as dangerous as when Kitson flicked on for them in the second half.

If utd or chelsea or even arsenal had 20 corners you just know that there'd be no chance of the defending team escaping with a clean sheet - but with us, you just know that your going to be groaning a lot.
I'd force Babel/Riera and Kuyt/Yossi to take them.

And "Another Wasted Corner" wasn't a bad read back in the day.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: September 22, 2008, 12:24:22 pm »
It's not just us, most corners I see are shite these days.  Corners need to be put in at pace and miss the first man, or they need to be floated in to about the penalty spot.  Most corners are executed so badly.

Offline readybreck

• road
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #342 on: September 22, 2008, 12:32:28 pm »
really cheeses me off we have in my opinion one of our best headers of a ball takng most of the corners  ( gerrard) surely his presence alone inside the box for a corner will affect the defence. we have enough players who can get the ball in the box.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #343 on: September 22, 2008, 12:47:09 pm »
It's not just us, most corners I see are shite these days.  Corners need to be put in at pace and miss the first man, or they need to be floated in to about the penalty spot.  Most corners are executed so badly.

could it be the weight of the ball at all?
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #344 on: September 22, 2008, 01:50:40 pm »
For all Skrtel's meanness, he doesn't exactly strike fear into opposition defenders when he goes up for a corner.

He and Carra are big lads, and should put themselves about more in the opposing box. It comes to something when getting a corner doesn't exactly excite us anymore, or worry our opponents !
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #345 on: September 22, 2008, 07:44:41 pm »
And Steven Gerrard but he takes the corners.

:duh
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline maher

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone..
« Reply #346 on: September 22, 2008, 07:48:43 pm »
how u want us to score from corners when most of the Xabi Alonso's corner shoots were not more than 1 meter high!!!!
especially in the last games!!
why it's hard for a quality player like him to shout the ball more high?!!

Offline Crouchy

• Legacy Fan
  • Vamos!
« Reply #347 on: September 22, 2008, 08:07:44 pm »
For all Skrtel's meanness, he doesn't exactly strike fear into opposition defenders when he goes up for a corner.

He and Carra are big lads, and should put themselves about more in the opposing box. It comes to something when getting a corner doesn't exactly excite us anymore, or worry our opponents !

Like Vidic and Terry you mean?

Offline JMarsh

• Wise beyond his years
  • Legacy Fan
  • Girls Aloud fan.
« Reply #348 on: September 22, 2008, 08:20:15 pm »
To me its simple. So many players fuck up corners because, a la Beckham, they try to put too much pace and swerve on the ball. Thats why they constantly miss hit them and can't get past the first man. Just stick the all into the area, penalty spot region, and you'll score plenty.

Alonso and Gerrard are both fucking shite at corners.

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #349 on: September 22, 2008, 08:26:57 pm »
had hope Riera might be a help. 

If he's only going to take it short then what's the difference who takes them?

Offline wicksy2008

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #350 on: September 22, 2008, 08:38:27 pm »
Strange thing is Rafa and the players watch videos of the games numerous times and surely someone must notice that we are shit at corners. The main culprit is Gerrard so why is he taking them. I'm sure Aurelio and Alonso can do better if given the chance. Leave Gerrard on the edge of the box to hammer in any chances.

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: September 22, 2008, 08:49:08 pm »
Nothing new...

Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #352 on: September 22, 2008, 08:54:49 pm »
From what you see we never put any decent corners in the box and I always get mightilily pissed off by all the players standing there waiting for the ball to hit their foreheads and go in.

NO ONE ATTACKS THE BALL! ARRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: September 22, 2008, 10:07:11 pm »
To me its simple. So many players fuck up corners because, a la Beckham, they try to put too much pace and swerve on the ball. Thats why they constantly miss hit them and can't get past the first man. Just stick the all into the area, penalty spot region, and you'll score plenty.

Alonso and Gerrard are both fucking shite at corners.

100% agree. they try and kill the ball with pace and curl. just float the dam thing in and attack it!
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #354 on: September 22, 2008, 10:16:26 pm »
From what you see we never put any decent corners in the box and I always get mightilily pissed off by all the players standing there waiting for the ball to hit their foreheads and go in.

NO ONE ATTACKS THE BALL! ARRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Could that be because an attacking corner is actually our first line of defence? Zonal marking at an attacking corner, it so obvious it genius.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #355 on: September 22, 2008, 10:19:48 pm »
If the SOS didn't discuss this with Rafa last week its a missed opportunity in my book.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #356 on: September 22, 2008, 11:57:13 pm »
as a few have alluded to, it is not just poor crossing (which we are guilty of at times, but not always) rather it is about players attacking the ball.

maybe it is desire to score a goal that we are missing? maybe it is belief? maybe a bit of both, but the truth is, the likes of Carra, Skrtel, Sami, Gerrard, Torres, Riera, Kuyt are all good enough in the air to be attacking the ball and getting us some goals from set pieces.

i mean, Skrtel for example should be able to scare the ball into the back of the net, yet he hasnt ever really looked like scoring for us (and yet he has 1 in 2 for his country this season!)

not sure we will ever solve this one to be honest lads!
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: September 23, 2008, 12:10:20 am »
We're poor because it is not a priority during practice otherwise Rafa would have created tactics for us to score goals from set pieces. It's just not his 'style'.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: September 23, 2008, 12:16:38 am »
Is there any possible way (maybe through .tv?) we can get a message out to Rafa, Sammy Lee or any of the management staff? The more I read this thread the more I despair how such an issue isn't being taken seriously (evidently) by Rafa and his staff.

Theres no shortage of plans on how to take and attack corners but until our management acknowledges corners are something that should be practised the more we will sit here in amazement how one of the biggest clubs in the world doesn't know how to take a corner.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #359 on: September 23, 2008, 12:35:35 am »
Scoring from headers is an art. Just because someone is 6 foot plus in height doesn't mean they will/can beat any other 6 foot plus defender to score anytime they wish....

Defenders are aware we are trying to score from set pieces and corners...if it was that easy, every defender would be scoring 5-10 goals per season....

Its not as easy as it seems...

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc