Author Topic: Corners- why are we so poor at them? (Dates from 2005)  (Read 75796 times)

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Corners- why are we so poor at them?
« Reply #240 on: December 3, 2007, 07:58:26 pm »
We have some good targets and should be a threat. It has been a bit better lately but Porto's defence wasn't the best albeit Torres really attacked the ball.

Gerrard's freekick was a beaut for Sami. Good movement and good delivery. I hope we are working like mad on them, I can't believe Rafa is not now he has things right defensively.

Offline bono1712

• Kopite
  • "Shankly is our hero he showed us how to play"
« Reply #241 on: December 3, 2007, 08:39:42 pm »
didn't we used to have a fazine called Another wasted corner?
@bono1712

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #242 on: December 4, 2007, 09:13:50 pm »
didn't we used to have a fazine called Another wasted corner?

Apparently.

Our recent performance on corners and other set pieces is destroying a long-standing tradition. Used to be time to go to the fridge for another cold one.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: December 5, 2007, 01:21:54 am »
Im pretty outraged by the fact we have scored three goals in last couple of games from corners

Descrase!

Disgraceful!  ;)

Gerrard is striking his corners, free kicks and penalties all beautifully at the moment. He's obviously been practicing. Keep it up sunshine!

Offline stacato

• Main Stander
« Reply #244 on: December 5, 2007, 01:43:27 am »
Ive seen Yossi getting ready to kick a corner when Stevie came rushing over demanding to hit it himself. The man just loves to do it, but Yossi, being shorter and a none heading threat of any kind should be kicking them . Rafa - take note! ;D

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #245 on: September 20, 2008, 04:53:18 pm »
Nothing's changed really, has it? Our set pieces are poor, frustratingly so, and even more so when you look at the quality in the team.

It needs an answer and I'm sure Rafa wants one too; but not being able to beat the first man, or to attack other set piece balls strongly enough, is a crucial weakness.

Offline therockbox

• Legacy Fan
  • Funklord
« Reply #246 on: September 20, 2008, 04:55:40 pm »
A year after the last post in this thread and it's still as relevant as ever.  Disgraceful.

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6½
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: September 20, 2008, 04:56:22 pm »
ye, how many corners did we have? over 20? WE've gotta be the worsed team in the prem with corners, for real.
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #248 on: September 20, 2008, 04:56:36 pm »
It's embarrassing at this level.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: September 20, 2008, 04:56:36 pm »
19 corner kicks today was it? How many scares did we give them from that 19? Needs solving as that is what is the difference for so many other teams
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #250 on: September 20, 2008, 04:57:48 pm »
Nothing's changed really, has it? Our set pieces are poor, frustratingly so, and even more so when you look at the quality in the team.

Not really not when Gerrard insists on taking practically every fucking one of them. It's expected. Gerrard should be edge of the box or outside of the box everytime. That's what's frustrating. Get Dossena, Aurelio, Benayoun, Arbeloa, Babel to take them but not Gerrard. Leave him to the odd freekick and last minute heroics, that's what he's good at.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Operation Hennessey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #251 on: September 20, 2008, 04:57:50 pm »
Would have been a rout today if we were any kind of threat from corners given how many we had.

Offline king sjjj

• Kopite
« Reply #252 on: September 20, 2008, 05:00:12 pm »
Did not look dangerous at one corner. Pathetic

Online GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #253 on: September 20, 2008, 05:01:50 pm »
we dont attack corners....we sit and wait for the ball to come on the head....its all part of "not causing a foul" thing
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Online danuttah

• Main Stander
« Reply #254 on: September 20, 2008, 05:04:13 pm »
Could our poor return with corners going forward be linked in with our zonal marking at the back. A long shot I know, however, when we practice corners, maybe we only do it against defenders playing zonally....at hence, when we come up against man to man, we are pointless....

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: September 20, 2008, 05:04:42 pm »
When their line-up is like the land of the fucking giants, we are not going to score a goal from a corner without clever movement and a bit of balls being able to attack the ball. Neither of these, along with the fact our deliveries are fucking pathetic, equate to the conclusion that I am not fucking surprised in the slightest. I love Rafa, but for fucks sake, five years now is it? You'd think he'd have a word in Stevie's ear and say 'listen amigo, you're fucking shite on dead-ball situations, stop insisting you take them'.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: September 20, 2008, 05:16:40 pm »
Not really not when Gerrard insists on taking practically every fucking one of them. It's expected. Gerrard should be edge of the box or outside of the box everytime. That's what's frustrating. Get Dossena, Aurelio, Benayoun, Arbeloa, Babel to take them but not Gerrard. Leave him to the odd freekick and last minute heroics, that's what he's good at.

Rieira, Alonso and Arbeloa all took corners and they were all mostly shite. Dossena's crossing was mostly gash aswell.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #257 on: September 20, 2008, 05:17:30 pm »

Our corners are just symptomatic of our style of play against the lesser teams. We never threaten from them and we lack creativity. We shouldn't rely on set pieces to win games but our return should be far better than it is. How difficult is it to spend some time working on them on the practice pitch?
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #258 on: September 20, 2008, 05:19:39 pm »
Does Gerrard have it in his contract to take 95% of all corners we have?
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: September 20, 2008, 05:21:09 pm »
I don't know what the fuck they're getting up to at Melwood but fuck sake, start practicing corners religiously like Mourinho's Chelsea did.

Right now we have no set piece strategy. Its the same shit every season, we win a corner, Gerrard walks up to the spot and takes the ball from whoever has it. Result? Wasted corner. Where the fuck is the strategy? Certainly Alonso whips in a good one, so too does Aurelio. Reira and Benyoun probably can too. Get the big guys like Skrtel and Carra to attack the corner, just as Terry, Carvalho, Ferdinand and Vidic do, yet we seem so clueless.

Sort it out.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: September 20, 2008, 05:23:12 pm »
Thought Gerrard took less than normal today  ??? Alonso, Riera, Arbeloa and I think Kuyt took a lot of them. They were mostly shite. And any half decent ones weren't even attacked so there's no chance of a break there. Same with crossing- we'd put together a decent passage of passing the ball, get to the areas to cross, and it'd end up in the fucking Kop or Anny Road. Bollocks to that.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: September 20, 2008, 05:24:26 pm »
When their line-up is like the land of the fucking giants, we are not going to score a goal from a corner without clever movement and a bit of balls being able to attack the ball. Neither of these, along with the fact our deliveries are fucking pathetic, equate to the conclusion that I am not fucking surprised in the slightest. I love Rafa, but for fucks sake, five years now is it? You'd think he'd have a word in Stevie's ear and say 'listen amigo, you're fucking shite on dead-ball situations, stop insisting you take them'.

Agreed but it's not just Stevie.

Today from what I remember, Dossena, Riera, Alonso and even fucken Arbeloa had a go and I cant remember a single dangerous corner we had.

After 5 years it is unnaceptable for us to be so fucking shit at corners, really is. For a man who apparently has so much attention to detail it amazes me that Rafa has not addressed  this part of our game.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #262 on: September 20, 2008, 05:25:20 pm »
If we spend any time at all in training on attacking corners, then we may as well give it up as a bad job and spend the time on something else. We couldn't be any worse at them if we just sent 7 players into the box and told them to do whatever the hell they wanted. In fact, I reckon that would yield a better return.

Honestly, what are they told to do? Just stand like fucking statues and hope that the ball lands on them? No movement at all. Criminal waste today.

Need to watch some videos of Les Ferdinand and Alan Shearer.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline dgoh

• Kopite
  • Son. Brother. Student. RAWKite
« Reply #263 on: September 20, 2008, 05:30:00 pm »
Our best chances came from cutting in from the flank, which is why i don't understand why we keep whipping crosses in, and not finding anybody at all, or usually finding someone on the kop.

Riera looked bad at crossing too, hit quite a few poor ones today.

Offline WRX

• Ruining the career of David Amoo
  • Anny Roader
  • Gerrrrrad.......u beauty........whooooo
« Reply #264 on: September 20, 2008, 05:31:07 pm »
I thought we used zonal marking for defending corners...seems we also use zonal positioning for attacking corners....  ;D

Ah well...............better get used to it....seems corners are not a priority of rafa....not making the opposition play is...
5 times.......5 times.............5 times.........

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #265 on: September 20, 2008, 05:31:35 pm »
There are three basic flaws in our corner strategy that we desperately need to work on

1) The delivery is consistently average or sub-par
2) There aren't enough players put into the box
3) Hyypia aside, not many of our players try attacking the ball in the box.

Offline dgoh

• Kopite
  • Son. Brother. Student. RAWKite
« Reply #266 on: September 20, 2008, 05:32:54 pm »
I thought we used zonal marking for defending corners...seems we also use zonal positioning for attacking corners....  ;D

Ah well...............better get used to it....seems corners are not a priority of rafa....not making the opposition play is...

Well at least we met 1 of the objectives today. The opposition certainly didn't played, was wondering if gerrard and co. was tired running to the end of the pitch for all the corners. :)

Offline 5starsnowy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #267 on: September 20, 2008, 05:32:57 pm »
We shouldnt have got rid of crouchy.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #268 on: September 20, 2008, 05:42:22 pm »
We shouldnt have got rid of crouchy.

We didn't, he wanted to leave and wouldn't sign a new contract.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #269 on: September 20, 2008, 05:51:43 pm »
what would he have done. He is prob the last person you'd want at the end of a corner......would help if it beat the first man
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #270 on: September 20, 2008, 05:53:32 pm »
near post corners are crap. corners have to be delivered with more conviction.
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2008, 06:00:37 pm »
id rather they just float the ball in and let it be attacked. currently 50% dont get past the near post.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Spanish Fan

• Battles Babelfish Brilliantly
  • Legacy Fan
  • מגדל בבל
« Reply #272 on: September 20, 2008, 06:03:01 pm »
Maybe two center backs who can head or shoot the ball  would help. Hyypia and Agger?
利物浦, 리버풀, Λίβερπουλ, リヴァプール, ليفربول, Liberpul

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #273 on: September 20, 2008, 06:18:25 pm »
We dominated Europe by being shit at corners.  Lets hope we can do that again.
... But we'll never win the PL without them. Corners and set pieces in general are a big part of the English game. They are not so revered in Spain and Italy, where people score pretty looking skillful goals, which will never go in in England.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline TrueYorkshireRed

• That'll be Barnsley then yeah?
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #274 on: September 20, 2008, 06:40:16 pm »
I have no idea why Gerrard insists on taking our corners...its the one thing he cant do with a football...plus there is no better player in the world at sitting on the edge of the D waiting for any knockdowns and smashing them into the back of the net.

We either take silly short corners that come to nothing or they dont clear the front man or theyre floated to the back stick where theyre easy to deal with for the defence.

We look far better from corners when Gerrard isnt on and someone else takes them.

For me it should be Alonso, Fab, or Beny taking them, I think Keane used to take them at Spurs even...anyone but Gerrard really, so he can sit on the edge of the box and score more goals like the one he scored for England against Germany.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: September 20, 2008, 06:41:11 pm »
alonso and gerarrd are sh1t at corners and should be practising them every day imo
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: September 20, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »
Too static in the area.

You watch the likes fo Skrtel for Slovakia and he moves about in the area and attacks the ball and scores headers.
(5 goals in 27 matches).

Then you watch us and we're as static as we are when we defend corners.

It's as if we play "zonal attacking" if you get my drift, on our corners.
Rather than rushing into the box, attacking the ball, finding space, the people in the area find a space, stick with it, and hope it goes in.

There is no pressure on the defenders to be aware of movement and threats in the box because there isn't any.
"Pick a man, stay with him" and you'll clear the Liverpool set piece.

Alternatively we play the God awful short corner.
Which goes; short ball, defender rushes to ball, hastily taken cross that is picked out by the keeper because there is no pressure on him, or headed out by the man with all the space in the world.

We've finally managed to beat the first man on our deliveries and we find static players not attacking the ball.

Subbuteo corners.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 06:44:32 pm by Degs »

Offline tezmac

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: September 20, 2008, 06:52:35 pm »
For me Gerrard takes piss poor corners,no variation and to few body's in the box and too little movement
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: September 20, 2008, 06:57:52 pm »
For me Gerrard takes piss poor corners,no variation and to few body's in the box and too little movement
Today we had Riera, Alonso and I think Dossena took one as well as well as Gerrard.

So we have enough variation and enough get into the box.

I don't like Stevie taking them because he should be on the edge of the box waiting for a rebound.  Like against Olympiakos.

Offline vader90

• Legacy Fan
  • The eternal optimist - Everything happens for good
« Reply #279 on: September 20, 2008, 07:05:50 pm »
It started in jan 2005 and is still running strong. Shows some problem doesn't it?
Roll up, roll up for the Liverpool FC circus, in town every fucking week.